What Box-Set next

Betamax and beyond

What Box-Set next

Postby Icarus on Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:53 am

Unless I win the Lottery (really ought to meet them half-way and actually buy a ticket)...I'm back in the world of Either....Or instead of gimme gimme gimme. At the end of this month I've got to choose between:

Season One of Angel
Season Two of Enterprise
Season Two of The Sopranos
Season Four of The West Wing
Season One of Curb Your Enthusiasm

your comments and wisdom are invited......
"I flew too close to the sun and if I had my time over I'd do it again"
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:55 am

My vote would be for Season One of Angel. But I've never been a big Sopranos or West Wing fan.

EDIT - I think the first season of Angel was one of the best, and it took them at least 3 years to get back to that level. I still love Doyle...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 pm

Sopranos. Curb your enthusiasm is all right, but there's only ten episods, and it wasn't as funny as I expected it to be... still quality television though, but maybe wait until you can get it in some kind of two-for-one with season 2.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Icarus on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:07 pm

Cheers dudes..."The BossMan Cometh"...check back with ya later :shock:
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:25 pm

I can't recommend strongly enough the Brilliance of "The Wire" Season 1 is available in the UK I think.

"The Shield" Is fanfuckingtastic too and I think you can pick up season 1 for about £20 in some places.

All depends on if you like Cop/Crime shows but if you like the Sopranos I think it they will both be up your alley.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Icarus on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:58 pm

Too.......many......shows....>fzzt<.

Don't even get me started on not having watched any of the ever-growing CSI franchise. William Petersen as well. And David Caruso. Though, be honest - if Caruso got on your plane, would you still be on it when it took off? heh.

Cheers John - I've got my beady eye on The Shield...looks exceptionally cool. Is that the one with ol blue eyes Chiklis himself in?
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:59 pm

season 1 of Deadwood is a MUST own
can't really go wrong with the Sopranos either
Curb Your Enthusiasm is some pretty funny shit to me, but people seem to either love or hate it so buying it blind is a risk

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:06 pm

Angel Season 1, why because Buffy said so!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:08 pm

Peven wrote:season 1 of Deadwood is a MUST own
Curb Your Enthusiasm is some pretty funny shit to me, but people seem to either love or hate it so buying it blind is a risk

The only reason I wouldn't buy Deadwood S1 is because HBO wants to @ss rape everyone on the price. $80-$90 for 12 episodes = F@#K THAT!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:54 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Peven wrote:season 1 of Deadwood is a MUST own

The only reason I wouldn't buy Deadwood S1 is because HBO wants to @ss rape everyone on the price. $80-$90 for 12 episodes = F@#K THAT!

yeah, it is pricey, but it is excellent quality, really. the box, the inserts, the dvd's, the extra content, all top notch stuff. i traded in some old dvd's that i knew i wouldn't miss in order to soften the $79.95 sticker price. and when you think about it, 12 one-hour episodes equels the same as (on average) 6 feature length movies, which if you picked up at $15 each would cost $90, so i don't think $80 is so exorbitant. plus, its one of, if not THE, best show on tv ever, at least imho. Ian McShane will OWN your ass too. :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:10 pm

Icarus wrote:Too.......many......shows....>fz zt<.

Don't even get me started on not having watched any of the ever-growing CSI franchise. William Petersen as well. And David Caruso. Though, be honest - if Caruso got on your plane, would you still be on it when it took off? heh.

Cheers John - I've got my beady eye on The Shield...looks exceptionally cool. Is that the one with ol blue eyes Chiklis himself in?

Caruso gets too much shit. He's a lazy actor, not a bad one. Watch Session 9 to see him on form.

Yes, The Shield is Michael Chiklis. Looking back through his career, I come to my first memory of him, as John Belushi in Wired. That is a bizarre piece of work, and not a good movie, but I keep the VHS as an oddity. Chiklis was great.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby cinephile2000 on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:16 pm

I'd go with Buffy any season, Firefly, Animated Batman any season, Seinfeld, Richard Pryor show, Entorage, SeaQuest, Clerks the Animated seriese, and lastly the best of all

Hercules with Kevin Sorbo OHHHH YEAH
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Return to DVD / Blu-ray