The Last DVD(s) You Bought

Betamax and beyond

Re: The Last DVD(s) You Bought

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:54 am

I put in an order today for three blurays, they should come in the next week.

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - I think only DRIVE represents a remote threat to this ending up my favorite film of 2011

DAS BOOT - Classic flick. The DVD I had required me to flip it over halfway through, so I sold that one off and am upgrading to this bluray so that my life involves fewer instances of getting up off the sofa.

SUCKERPUNCH - I think we all knew me buying this one was inevitable. The extended cut features more violence, musical numbers, and of course, Hamm on Browning.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby minstrel on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:47 pm

I forgot to mention that a few weeks ago I picked up The Man Who Would Be King on Blu-Ray. Haven't watched it yet. I remember seeing the movie about twenty years ago and liking it, but I was probably drunk at the time. I want to watch it sober!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:50 pm

I watched it on DVD a few weeks ago. I can't speak to the image or sound quality, as it's an old disc (you have to flip it to see the end of the film), but as a work of art, it's incredible.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby ufoclub1977 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 am

blu-rays of

"The Wiz"
"Caddyshack"
"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" 1978
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:57 pm

Grindhouse was delivered to my doorstep today. Will be my first viewing since the theater. Really hoping to enjoy Deathproof more this time.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:16 am

Nice Marmot wrote:Really hoping to enjoy Deathproof more this time.

Good luck, Marmot. It seems to get worse every time I see it.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:28 am

For awhile I intended on giving DEATH PROOF a second chance to see if it played better without PLANET TERROR and those joke trailers putting me in the wrong mood for the type of movie DEATH PROOF was, but these days, life is seeming too short for that.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:57 am

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing as I was ordering this, Spandau. Maybe some day . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby ufoclub1977 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:32 am

Spandau Belly wrote:For awhile I intended on giving DEATH PROOF a second chance to see if it played better without PLANET TERROR and those joke trailers putting me in the wrong mood for the type of movie DEATH PROOF was, but these days, life is seeming too short for that.

It was the opposite for me and my girlfriend in the theater. The opening bits of fake movie stuff, the trailers, were very fun (with Thanksgiving being a clear winner, and the Nazi Werewolves being the worst), but Planet Terror's cool colors and scratches soon wore thin (no pun intended) because the actual story was so boring and paced in a not very funny way at all. It got so boring to see one cameo and gore explosion after another. But then Death Proof was so stylishly acted, and we could not predict what was going to happen, and the car action sequence was so good, with that buildup of tension.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:55 pm

ufoclub1977 wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:For awhile I intended on giving DEATH PROOF a second chance to see if it played better without PLANET TERROR and those joke trailers putting me in the wrong mood for the type of movie DEATH PROOF was, but these days, life is seeming too short for that.

It was the opposite for me and my girlfriend in the theater. The opening bits of fake movie stuff, the trailers, were very fun (with Thanksgiving being a clear winner, and the Nazi Werewolves being the worst), but Planet Terror's cool colors and scratches soon wore thin (no pun intended) because the actual story was so boring and paced in a not very funny way at all. It got so boring to see one cameo and gore explosion after another. But then Death Proof was so stylishly acted, and we could not predict what was going to happen, and the car action sequence was so good, with that buildup of tension.

See, that just strengthens my belief that everyone BUT Tarantino and Zombie succeeded in contributing to the recreation of a GRINDHOUSE experience.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:14 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Nice Marmot wrote:Really hoping to enjoy Deathproof more this time.

Good luck, Marmot. It seems to get worse every time I see it.

I still enjoy it every time I see it so looks like it could go either way for you.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ufoclub1977 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:
ufoclub1977 wrote:

See, that just strengthens my belief that everyone BUT Tarantino and Zombie succeeded in contributing to the recreation of a GRINDHOUSE experience.

No, it was Planet Terror that failed for us to feel retro, it was actually modern in content, it was a relentless monotony of gore-plosions and a blank canvas splattered with non-conceptual characters like a Transformers movie. In my book, the grindhouse experience is much more like Death Proof, with the lonely idea of a designed metal killer car, a handful of conceptual characters that have some kind of depth even if it's cartoonish or larger than life(b-movie exaggerated characters that are UNIQUE) and lots of unique moments that build from nothing, with no money for big effects. Just the use of the music from Blow Out in Death Proof made it feel totally right, like a grindhouse movie. Planet Terror got the ratted out film look right, and a lot of the setup in concept was right, but it was much more late 80's to 90's in the amount of effects and characters, etc. It was like a variation of a Transfromers movie. The mood of the scene where the girl is taken for the death ride in the car in Death Proof.... that is so "grindhouse" to me.

The Zombie trailer failed because it seemed too glossy in a modern fake way too.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Bloo on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:27 pm

the problem with DEATH PROOF is that it isn't a Grindhouse movie, it's a Tarintino movie disguised as a Grindhouse movie. In a real GH movie (or at least my experience with them) we would have followed Stuntman Mike on a cross country killing spree until the girls kill get their revenge. All the bullshit at the beginning of the first and 2nd acts (everything without Kurt Russell basically) has no place in a grindhouse movie, not to mention being annoying, poorly acted, and badly directed. Everything in Planet Terror had a purpose and a reason, everything flowed together.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:50 pm

ufoclub1977 wrote:The mood of the scene where the girl is taken for the death ride in the car in Death Proof.... that is so "grindhouse" to me.

I'll give you that, for sure. That part really worked for me.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Agree with, Bloo. The only good parts about the movie I can think of are any scene with Stuntman Mike. I mean, literally, everything else is shit. Aside from the cinematography which is excellent. The rest is just shit dialogue recited by shit actors in scenes that go on way too fucking long. The scene in the car after they pick up Rosario from the airport? That shit is torture. But Tarantino managed to top it in the next scene with that six or seven minute unbroken shot around the table. In another film, that would be quite an achievement. Unfortunately it's packed with shit actors reciting shit dialogue that makes us hate these people even more and the only relevant information we are given is the ad about the car, which in a film that didn't hate me would've taken one line. And way to build tension in the second half by having the villain disappear completely while we stew in our hatred for these morons, only to have him reappear long enough to kick off a boring car chase in which much of the danger comes from the fact that one of our heroines has voluntarily strapped herself to the hood of one of the cars. Then I'm supposed to be on their side when they unanimously decide that this one scary highway incident (70% their fault) is enough grounds for murder. Then I guess we're supposed to care that they kill the guy and get revenge for nobody and then pose like a bunch of fucking retards.

Fuck this terrible, terrible waste of time.

I did enjoy the lap dance, even though Vanessa Ferlito is kind of a dog.
caruso_stalker217

Postby ufoclub1977 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:54 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Agree with, Bloo. The only good parts about the movie I can think of are any scene with Stuntman Mike. I mean, literally, everything else is shit. Aside from the cinematography which is excellent. The rest is just shit dialogue recited by shit actors in scenes that go on way too fucking long. The scene in the car after they pick up Rosario from the airport? That shit is torture. But Tarantino managed to top it in the next scene with that six or seven minute unbroken shot around the table. In another film, that would be quite an achievement. Unfortunately it's packed with shit actors reciting shit dialogue that makes us hate these people even more and the only relevant information we are given is the ad about the car, which in a film that didn't hate me would've taken one line. And way to build tension in the second half by having the villain disappear completely while we stew in our hatred for these morons, only to have him reappear long enough to kick off a boring car chase in which much of the danger comes from the fact that one of our heroines has voluntarily strapped herself to the hood of one of the cars. Then I'm supposed to be on their side when they unanimously decide that this one scary highway incident (70% their fault) is enough grounds for murder. Then I guess we're supposed to care that they kill the guy and get revenge for nobody and then pose like a bunch of fucking retards.

And still I'd say "Planet Terror" is worse and more boring! I could only really sit through either of them once in the theater, but in the single viewing, the high points of "Death Proof" were valid and exciting and worked because there was boring stuff in between. I can honestly not remember one cool part of Planet Terror that I really found interesting. Nothing in the gore as cool as the gratuitous tire on the face of the girl in Death Proof. No character as interesting as campy Stuntman Mike. No high points or suspenseful parts or even mildly exciting parts.

I'd say that John Carpenter in his low budget jail cell in the late 80's came out with great grindhouse type stuff like "They Live" or "Prince of Darkness". High relatively original concepts/plots and a limited budget.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby GerryMcD on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Just Go With It

I'm a pretty big fan of Adam Sandler across the board. I'd say that JGWI is my fav film of his since 50 First Dates (which is tied with Happy Gilmore for my favorite).

Sandler films tend to be very strong when it comes to supporting characters. Brooklyn Decker and Jennifer Aniston make for excellent eye candy and are both pretty hilarious in the film. The kids are hysterical - full of hilarious quotes. And my favorite character of all is by far "Dolph Lundgren" played by Nick Swardson. I hope he uses more of Swardson in future films.

“I am ze Dolph Lundgren, Devlin’s man-friend slash love-monkey!”

GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby GerryMcD on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:38 pm

For any fans of the war film genre, Wolfgang Petersen's 1982 film DAS BOOT was just digitally remastered for Blu-ray. I now own both the original and the new director's cut. If you own, the original, I still recommend looking into it. If you own neither or haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch the film. You won't be disappointed. LA Times has called it "the most convincing war movie ever made."

*And fyi, the Blu-ray extras are incredible. Bonus features include:

- full commentary with Wolfgang Peters
- extensive documentary footage from filming in 1981
- overviews of the control and captain's room, and then some
GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:29 pm

ufoclub1977 wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Agree with, Bloo. The only good parts about the movie I can think of are any scene with Stuntman Mike. I mean, literally, everything else is shit. Aside from the cinematography which is excellent. The rest is just shit dialogue recited by shit actors in scenes that go on way too fucking long. The scene in the car after they pick up Rosario from the airport? That shit is torture. But Tarantino managed to top it in the next scene with that six or seven minute unbroken shot around the table. In another film, that would be quite an achievement. Unfortunately it's packed with shit actors reciting shit dialogue that makes us hate these people even more and the only relevant information we are given is the ad about the car, which in a film that didn't hate me would've taken one line. And way to build tension in the second half by having the villain disappear completely while we stew in our hatred for these morons, only to have him reappear long enough to kick off a boring car chase in which much of the danger comes from the fact that one of our heroines has voluntarily strapped herself to the hood of one of the cars. Then I'm supposed to be on their side when they unanimously decide that this one scary highway incident (70% their fault) is enough grounds for murder. Then I guess we're supposed to care that they kill the guy and get revenge for nobody and then pose like a bunch of fucking retards.

And still I'd say "Planet Terror" is worse and more boring! I could only really sit through either of them once in the theater, but in the single viewing, the high points of "Death Proof" were valid and exciting and worked because there was boring stuff in between. I can honestly not remember one cool part of Planet Terror that I really found interesting. Nothing in the gore as cool as the gratuitous tire on the face of the girl in Death Proof. No character as interesting as campy Stuntman Mike. No high points or suspenseful parts or even mildly exciting parts.

I think they both equally sucked balls.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Amazon just delivered the old British TV series "Quatermass", as well as "The Outer Limits" and "Danger UXB". And the TV series "Dinosaurs", which is kind of funny, and some of the ancient Bell Science productions like "Hemo the Magnificent", "The Strange Case of the Cosmic Rays", and other educational things for kids that are very good. Weird box of stuff, but maybe, after my roomie watches them, we can send them to my niece and nephew in Toronto.

Or we might keep them, because they are kind of cool.
minstrel

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Working through the ROME boxset. As usual an enjoyable HBO show. Looks great on blu ray, but pissed off to find the web version of the shop I bought it is 50% cheaper than the instore price I paid. haha. Doofus. Still, its a fun ride so far.
Also picked up the walking dead blu, which I watched the first 2 eps using the method that should not be named. Looking forward to that one.
This country really needs a netflix type service. Im falling out of love with buying movies I will only watch once... the rental shops aint up to much either, and downloads are fine now and again, but I feel that im wasting my lovely set up watching good but not blu ray quality avi's.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Hermanator X wrote:Working through the ROME boxset.

Sweet. I need to dust off my set and watch them soon too.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:54 pm

I bought my seven year old Nephew a load of classics recently, I'd already gotten him Jaws, Planes Trains and Automobiles, The Great Outdoors, Uncle Buck, Clash of the Titans (original), Ghostbusters, Goonies, Gremlins and the Original Star Wars Trilogy... then last week I got him Stand By Me, all four Vacation movies, The Sandlot Kids, Radio Flyer, Huckleberry Finn, Teen Wolf (one and too) and Soderberghs King of The Hill (which after watching myself I decided to wait a few years until I give it to him, great film by the way).

I got myself Across 110th Street with Anthony Quinn and Yaphet Koto for £4, haven't watched it yet.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby GerryMcD on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Of Gods and Men

A true story following the kidnapping and murder of 7 trappist monks during the 1996 Algerian Civil War. Film won the Grand Prix award at Cannes. It is beautifully shot and beautifully acted. The two leads, Michael Lonsdale and Lambert Wilson, are incredible in their roles. It is hard not to fall in love with the both of them. And moreover, the film shines a beautiful light on Islam and Christianity coexisting in harmony. Great film - one of the best I have seen in 2011!

GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby so sorry on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:37 pm

GerryMcD wrote:Of Gods and Men

A true story following the kidnapping and murder of 7 trappist monks during the 1996 Algerian Civil War.[/img]

Well I guess I know how this movie ends... :roll:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bloo on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:45 pm

Gettysburg and Gods and Generals on BD

Better Off Dead on BD

Sons of Anarchy s2 DvD
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Bloo wrote:Gettysburg and Gods and Generals on BD

Sounds like a good cure for insomnia.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:49 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:Gettysburg and Gods and Generals on BD

Sounds like a good cure for insomnia.

LOL yeah no shit
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby GerryMcD on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:32 am

Beastly, which If you haven't seen is a modern day retelling of Beauty and The Beast. I thought they did an excellent job adapting the film from the Alex Flinn book (which I also enjoyed). Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens have great chemistry on screen together. And the supporting roles are spectacular - Neil Patrick Harris (so funny in this role) and Mary-Kate Olsen are my two favs. Overall a very cool retelling of the original. Very entertaining film. Highly recommend!

GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:42 am

So I got a JURASSIC PARK DVD Boxset for 12€
BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS for 4,99€
HARRY POTTER 5 & 6 in their 2 DVD set versions for each 5,55€
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby minstrel on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:42 am

Just ordered The Taking of Pelham 123 (original version, of course). It's not here yet, but it's on its way.

Walter Matthau > Denzel Washington
Robert Shaw > John Travolta
minstrel

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:33 pm

minstrel wrote:Just ordered The Taking of Pelham 123 (original version, of course). It's not here yet, but it's on its way.

Walter Matthau > Denzel Washington
Robert Shaw > John Travolta

Not to mention David Shire >>>>>>>>>>Harry Gregson Williams (Who he?)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby GerryMcD on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:33 am

Boyz N The Hood

An iconic film of the 90s and a personal favorite of mine. They just released it on Blu-ray. Special features on the disc are great. Highly recommended John Singleton commentary when watching.

GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby GerryMcD on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Burke and Hare

Big fan of Simon Pegg, so I was pretty amped to see this one. I heard about it back in 2010 when it received a UK theatrical release. From what I understand, it's getting a US theatrical release in the near future. Currently it's getting a pre-theatrical release on SundanceNOW - a newer thing they seem to be doing quite a bit now. You can stream it there. Otherwise, maybe wait till it hits theaters.

The story is hilarious - a black comedy based loosely on the real Burke & Hare murders in Scotland in 1820s. I thought Pegg was perfect for his role, as was Andy Serkis. Also has an all-star cast supporting cast in Isla Fisher, Tim Curry and Tom Wilkinson.

"I had confidence in a fart once, then I shat all over myself" - William Burke (Simon Pegg)
GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:09 pm

I ordered today HOWARD THE DUCK, THE ICE PIRATES and (to restore my karma at least a little bit) TREES LOUNGE for together less than 16 bucks.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby minstrel on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:33 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:I ordered today HOWARD THE DUCK ...

We assume you can explain this aberrant behavior.
minstrel

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:37 pm

minstrel wrote:

I haven't seen it in years and the DVD cost only 4,97€. People have spent more money on worse.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby minstrel on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:52 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:
minstrel wrote:

I haven't seen it in years and the DVD cost only 4,97€. People have spent more money on worse.

Please list them, and the mental institutions they currently inhabit. We need this information for our files.
minstrel

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:21 pm

*imagines every Zoner slowly sneaking into their bedrooms and hiding their Special Deluxe Edition DVD/Blu Rays of the TRANSFORMERS cartoon movie, THE GOONIES and so on*
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby minstrel on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:27 pm

Wait ... I thought The Goonies was supposed to be better than Howard the Duck. I haven't seen either since the 80s, so I'm no expert, and I have no desire to see either again now (or ever). But wasn't that true?
minstrel

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Depends on who you ask, I guess.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby so sorry on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:25 pm

He asked me, and I agreed!

And neither is worth rewatching either....best left to just remembering how much you loved them as a kid. Although if you loved Howard the Duck as a kid you are probably in a mental institution right now. 8-)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bloo on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:27 pm

I have Howard the Duck proudly on my DVD shelf next to these comic book inspired flicks "The Spirit" "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and "The Mask"
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:33 pm

I rewatch "The Goonies" at least once a year and not only do I still enjoy it, it helps keep me young at heart :D

"Howard the Duck" is a fun campy little flick, innocuous, and doesn't deserve nearly as much hate that is heaped upon it

"The Spirit" is just total ass, though :-P :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:38 pm

I love The Spirit LOL
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:54 pm

Bloo wrote:I have Howard the Duck proudly on my DVD shelf next to these comic book inspired flicks "The Spirit" "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and "The Mask"

Man, imagine watching all four in a row.

I don't think I'll ever watch THE MASK again. As is the case with 3 NINJAS, hindsight is 20/20.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:35 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:I have Howard the Duck proudly on my DVD shelf next to these comic book inspired flicks "The Spirit" "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and "The Mask"

Man, imagine watching all four in a row.

I don't think I'll ever watch THE MASK again. As is the case with 3 NINJAS, hindsight is 20/20.

I may try that sometime...
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:38 pm

I liked HOWARD THE DUCK as a kid, last I saw it was when I was a teenager and I still liked it then. Good flick. Howard's got good personality. Actually, seeing as they now make sequels and reboots to movies that failed in their day, I'm surprised this one hasn't come up if only to linger in development hell.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby minstrel on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:44 pm

Amazon delivered Hitchcock's Torn Curtain yesterday. Pretty good - one or two iconic scenes with some great tension. This was the movie that ended Hitch's partnership with Bernard Herrmann, so it doesn't have a Herrmann score, but this disc has samples of the music Herrmann wrote for the film, so it's especially interesting for that.

Wondering what to buy next, but after reading H@rry's column today about what's new, it might be Conan the Barbarian with the Milius/Schwarzenegger commentary. That might be fun.
minstrel

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:27 pm

"I am John Meelius, da Great. And if you believe dat, you'll also believe there's little Richard Simmons Jrs. running around!"
caruso_stalker217

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray