The Last DVD(s) You Bought

Betamax and beyond

Re: The Last DVD(s) You Bought

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:59 pm

The Vicar wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote: I remember monkeys punching each other and it was full of stars and at the end he was old.

Sounds like a Ronald Reagan bio-pic......

I did revisit the film recently on Blu-Ray and it was incredible.

And it was pretty much as I recalled it, with the punching monkeys, etc.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby minstrel on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:54 pm

The Vicar wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote: I remember monkeys punching each other and it was full of stars and at the end he was old.

Sounds like a Ronald Reagan bio-pic......

I thought Dr. Strangelove was the Reagan bio pic - at least, the one Reagan was imagining himself.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:03 pm

That would have been Failsafe, which was Strangelove without the sense of humor.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby minstrel on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:41 am

Got The Legend of Hell House from Amazon recently because my roomie just finished reading the Richard Matheson novel it was based on. I haven't watched it yet.
minstrel

Postby GerryMcD on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:57 pm

"A Woman, A Gun and A Noodle Shop" - Chinese remake of the Coen brothers' 1985 film Blood Simple. Cool perspective on the original story. Major components aren't different, but the director ___ made a few tweaks to fulfill his vision of the story. Definitely recommend giving it a watch, esp if you're a Coen Bros fan.

"Welcome to the Rileys" - I thoroughly enjoyed this film. The cast is awesome- James Gandolfini and Melissa Leo are always on point. Cool to see Melissa in a performance pre The Fighter. Some people like to hate on Kristen Stewart. I get that, I'm not a Twilight fan either. If you can put that aside, I think you'll like her in the film. I thought she did a great job.

GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Vicar on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:30 pm

minstrel wrote:Got The Legend of Hell House from Amazon recently because my roomie just finished reading the Richard Matheson novel it was based on. I haven't watched it yet.

Watch the film then check out the novel. As horror/haunted house films go, Hell House ranks with the best ( the best being the original
The Haunting). The film makers seemed to capture the essence of the novel, but of course many tasty bits were left out of the film.
The novel, as is usually the case, is denser and goes further afield. But Hell House stands on its own two or three feet.
My favorite Roddy McDowell film.
The Vicar

Postby GerryMcD on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Wesley Snipes new film "Game of Death." As far as I know, it released in Japanese theaters, but not in the US. I'm a big fan of Wesley Snipes's action films and I thought this one looked interesting. The fight scenes in particular seem pretty intense. Kind of looks like a mix of Murder at 1600 and Blade. And by that, I mean the martial arts are amped up a bit, but he still plays a federal agent.

Trailer: http://on.fb.me/ie9rF3
GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby SilentScream on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:55 pm

The Haunting best haunted house film ever. Under £3 from Amazon. Original version that is. Not the uber shitty version starring Liam Neeson.
[
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ufoclub1977 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:06 pm

The ALIEN anthology blu-rays. I am more entertained by the making of discs (but can't wait to see this ALIEN 3 workprint cut even though I know the movie is depressing), they're full of wonderful discoveries and glimpses, a bit of horror at some of the personalities, and outright lol moments too.

I'm an atmospheric-horror ALIEN fan as opposed to the action packed ALIENS.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:20 pm

ufoclub1977 wrote:The ALIEN anthology blu-rays. I am more entertained by the making of discs (but can't wait to see this ALIEN 3 workprint cut even though I know the movie is depressing), they're full of wonderful discoveries and glimpses, a bit of horror at some of the personalities, and outright lol moments too.

I watched the 900 hour long version of Alien 3 last night. It's not bad, but you can tell some of the shots are un-finished. You find out a bit more about the prisoners & see how being on board the ship for 10 years with a solid routine has affected them in the long run. You get a bit more action in the last, well, hour now, i guess.

I don't remember much about the OG version of Alien 3, aside from the ending.

You should check out the 2011 movie journal thread, we've recently been talking about the differences between Alien & Aliens, our preference & whatnot.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby minstrel on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Haven't quite bought them yet, but my Amazon shopping cart currently contains How To Train Your Dragon, The Social Network, and Fight Club.

My roomie saw half of Fight Club last night for the first time and was fascinated. He's obsessive-compulsive and wants to pick it apart until it screams. I'll give him this copy and I bet he'll watch it every day for about two weeks until he thinks he's figured it all out. That's what he did with Inception, and he's still sort of doing that every so often.

I'll order these discs tomorrow; should have them Tuesday.
minstrel

Postby ufoclub1977 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:37 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:
ufoclub1977 wrote:The ALIEN anthology blu-rays. I am more entertained by the making of discs (but can't wait to see this ALIEN 3 workprint cut even though I know the movie is depressing), they're full of wonderful discoveries and glimpses, a bit of horror at some of the personalities, and outright lol moments too.

I watched the 900 hour long version of Alien 3 last night. It's not bad, but you can tell some of the shots are un-finished. You find out a bit more about the prisoners & see how being on board the ship for 10 years with a solid routine has affected them in the long run. You get a bit more action in the last, well, hour now, i guess.

I don't remember much about the OG version of Alien 3, aside from the ending.

You should check out the 2011 movie journal thread, we've recently been talking about the differences between Alien & Aliens, our preference & whatnot.

I did post at the end of that thread, not to jump in on the previous discussion but just to mention just now becoming aware of the pressurized predicament James Horner was in on ALIENS. I'll post my 8¢ there right now.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby GerryMcD on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:55 pm

INSIDE JOB

A bunch of my friends had recommended this one. After seeing them capture the Oscar for best doc, I figured it was high time I watch it. The content of the documentary is excellent. In addition to that, the film is beautifully shot. Very well done. Very Entertaining. They really break down the financial crisis nicely, in terms that pretty much anyone can understand. I also enjoyed the narration by Matt Damon. Oh and one more subtle detail, but I felt like it made the film better - the film score/soundtrack is great. All in all, I'd say that Inside Job definitely earned its Oscar.

GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ufoclub1977 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Just got "Excalibur" in the mail from Amazon. What a movie! My first rated "R" experience. I snuck in right after seeing a re-release of Star Wars.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby minstrel on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Received "The Fighter" and "Pinocchio" (Disney, 1940) from Amazon this morning. Roomie wanted the cartoon and I wanted to see what all the Bale fuss was about.
minstrel

Postby Bloo on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:45 pm

The Power of Bale compelled me to buy The Fighter, also picked up the Z-Boys documentary and Lords of Dogtown (the PG-13 as seen in theaters! as the sticker on the label reminds me several times) at my local grocery store for $10 apiece
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Picked up 48 HRS. and FRIDAY on Blu-Ray at work, as I had neither. 48 HRS. picture quality is total DVD level so I'm glad I didn't have this already.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:05 am

Got Grindhouse and The Social Network on Blu-ray for my birthday. Picked up Cabin Fever, Curse of The Golden Flower, Groundhog Day, and So I Married An Axe Murderer on Blu for cheap. Went to Big Lots today and got Dave Chappelle's Block Party and Save The Tiger on DVD. Jack Lemmon got the Best Actor Oscar for Tiger in 1973.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:23 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Got Grindhouse and The Social Network on Blu-ray for my birthday. Picked up Cabin Fever, Curse of The Golden Flower, Groundhog Day, and So I Married An Axe Murderer on Blu for cheap. Went to Big Lots today and got Dave Chappelle's Block Party and Save The Tiger on DVD. Jack Lemmon got the Best Actor Oscar for Tiger in 1973.

I've only watched the first 20mins of "Save the Tiger" about 4 years ago, no idea why I haven't got round to finishing it (think I lost the DVD) BUT it was a highly promising. Must find time to finish it off, look forward to reading your thoughts in the "What have you been watching on DVD thread", if ye be so inclined. Strangely enough I remember the flick being in the same DVD pile as the dueling Chainsaw, Chow Yun studly starring "Tiger on the Beat" too.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby GerryMcD on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:10 pm

S.W.A.T. Firefight.

This was a great follow up to the 2003 film. It doesn't have the star power of the first, but I thought the cast did a great job nonetheless. The one very recognizable face in the film is Robert Patrick, who plays the villain. I've always thought highly of him in the villain role - esp. after Terminator 2. I also thought it was great that they filmed in Detroit. I'm happy to see Detroit getting some love from Hollywood. Very solid action film. The training sequences were especially cool.

GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:16 pm

Does Bridget the Midget return?
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:23 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Does Bridget the Midget return?

hmmm bridget
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby SilentBobX on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:33 pm

Heard good things about The Holcroft Covenant and saw it for $5.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby GothamAlleys on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:14 pm

ufoclub1977 wrote:

Well I wouldnt say Aliens is "action packed" it has the same amount of action as Alien, with the only difference being that the action is larger in scale. The pacing structure of the 2 is virtually the same (but never repeated after Aliens, all the subsequent sequels did it in a more conventional way) - Nothing happens in the first 2/3 of the movie except for one major event (chestbursting/hive attack) that takes the story onto different track (trying to survive alien/s, panic and planning). For the last 1/3 it’s a non stop action and fast pace in contrast to the rest of the movie. Both are pressed for time before the mass explosion at the end, Both have a false/double ending, in both we dont see an alien until hour into the movie. In both we know only as much as the characters.
GothamAlleys
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:20 am

My mum's favorite movie is APOCALYPSE NOW, so she bought me the bluray with the intention that we would watch it together when she comes to visit me.

Awhile ago I also picked up the original MORTAL KOMBAT movie from the bargain bin. It was as good and trippy as I remembered.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby GerryMcD on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:10 pm

How Do You Know
I didn't know much about this film before watching it. Needless to say, I was surprise to see multiple all-star cast members associated with it: Jack Nicholson, Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson, Reese Witherspoon. Not to mention, it was directed and written by James L. Brooks. A thoroughly entertaining comedy. I just find it entertaining to see several of my fav actors on screen at once, as they are in this film. Totally worth the watch. Has some really hilarious moments; you're bound to when you you have Paul Rudd and Owen Wilson on screen together.

Stand By Me
"You guys wanna go see a dead body?" - One of my favorite films of all time. I'm especially sentimental about SBM because it's a film I loved growing up. I just picked up the bluray. In my opinion, it should be a required film for anyone's collection. Such an great cast, way before anyone knew who they were.

The Tourist
This film has such a classy feel to it. So much elegance and luxury visually, topped off by two of the biggest stars hollywood has to offer. It's just cool to watch them interact on screen together - and in Venice of all places! I particularly enjoyed Johnny Depp's performance. I think he really nailed the role of the seemingly-genius idiot, as contradictory as that description sounds. The tackles a little bit of all genres Drama/Comedy/Mystery/Suspense, etc which makes it pretty unique.
GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Dog Soldiers and Doomsday Blu-rays should be here Tuesday.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby GerryMcD on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Made in Dagenham

The film is based on a true story of a the Ford sewing machinists strike of 1968. The strike was huge for female laborers worldwide and led to the Equal Pay Act of 1970 (or so says wiki). Made in Dagenham dramatically depicts the events surrounding that strike. The lead role is played by Sally Hawkins, who is awesome in the film. Very, very funny. She plays Rita who unwittingly ends up in the forefront of this strike. As you can imagine, Ford gets pissed about the strike and drama ensues. I won't say much more, except that the supporting cast is also great. Albert Passingham and Miranda Richardson play memorable supporting roles in the film. Very uplifting. Not exactly the chick flick that I expected before watching. Definitely recommend Made in Dagenham.

GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby GerryMcD on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Country Strong

This film didn't get awesome reviews, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. I think the 4 lead actors did a superb job. I particularly enjoyed Garrett Hedlund. I mean, he really sounds like he could be a successful country star. He really nailed that blue-collar "F the mainstream!" kind of guy. And I really relate to that perspective, so it made me like his character even more. I think he drew a bit from his character in Friday Night Lights, and it's evident in his interaction with Tim McGraw (who also kicked ass in the film). They had good chemistry on screen. To be honest, I'm a little surprised that people wrote off this film. I found it to be thoroughly enjoyable.
GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby minstrel on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:25 pm

The China Syndrome. The Japan situation made it necessary.

I've ordered The King's Speech from Amazon, and it'll be delivered Tuesday. Looking forward to seeing that.
minstrel

Postby GerryMcD on Tue May 10, 2011 11:50 am

As a big fan of the series, I was pumped about this one. I like how they tie them all together with the family connection. Thomas Beckett (Tom Berenger) isn't in this one, but is son is one of the main characters. I thought that was a cool spin in the series. Overall, it's a great, suspenseful action flick. The whole Sniper concept is such a badass route for an action protagonist.

I recommend SNIPER: RELOADED if you're a fan of the series or if you're simply a fan of action films.

GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed May 11, 2011 3:02 am

Machete Blu-ray
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Thu May 12, 2011 6:36 pm

had a shitty day at work, walked into Wal-Mart, saw all 4 Alien movies for $20 each. Gotta love retail therapy
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby The Vicar on Thu May 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Bloo wrote:had a shitty day at work, walked into Wal-Mart, saw all 4 Alien movies for $20 each. Gotta love retail therapy

And retail therapy loves you too. Ain't love grand?
The Vicar

Postby Bloo on Thu May 12, 2011 8:07 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Bloo wrote:had a shitty day at work, walked into Wal-Mart, saw all 4 Alien movies for $20 each. Gotta love retail therapy

And retail therapy loves you too. Ain't love grand?

yeah, aint love grand
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby GerryMcD on Tue May 17, 2011 2:58 am

THE HIT LIST. Cuba Gooding Jr. was awesome in this film! He plays a hitman, Jonas,  who starts taking out Cole Hauser's coworkers/family at Hauser's (joking/accidental) request. The plot really begins when Hauser figures it out and tries to stop Jonas. Very suspenseful. I'd definitely categorize it as a "psychological thriller"

THE ILLUSIONIST. Created by a French mime, director & actor Jacques Tati in 1956. It was written as a personal letter to his estranged eldest daughter. It's interesting to note that before watching the film. Also that the main character is an animated version of Tati. Very cool film, it received Oscar recognition for good reason! 

DROP DEAD DIVA. This was my gf's call. She's kind of insane about this show. That said, I have to admit that it's actually a pretty entertaining show. Margaret Cho was my fav character on the show. Always got a kick out of her.

GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu May 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Ordered Nick & Norah's Infinte Playlist on Blu-ray for cheap and picked up Enter the Dragon on Blu-ray, also for cheap.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Thu May 19, 2011 10:36 pm

Hoosiers and Gibson's Hamlet on DVD

Branagh's Hamlet on Blu. thor inspired me to finally pick up KB's Hamlet and Gibsons was only $5 so I tacked it on as well.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu May 19, 2011 11:36 pm

Picked up TANGO & CASH on Blu-Ray today. And coincidentally ordered Branagh's HAMLET on Blu from Amazon a few days ago. Should be here by Saturday.

The power of Branagh compels us, eh Bloo?
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Thu May 19, 2011 11:44 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Picked up TANGO & CASH on Blu-Ray today. And coincidentally ordered Branagh's HAMLET on Blu from Amazon a few days ago. Should be here by Saturday.

The power of Branagh compels us, eh Bloo?

it does indeed buddy it does indeed
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri May 20, 2011 2:11 am

And since you mentioned it I might as well get the Mel version, too. Riggs in Denmark.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Sat May 21, 2011 2:42 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:And since you mentioned it I might as well get the Mel version, too. Riggs in Denmark.

I picked up the DVD for $5 on Amazon, not a bad deal for Riggs kissing his mom
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat May 21, 2011 3:41 pm

And dry-humping her.
caruso_stalker217

Postby GerryMcD on Tue May 24, 2011 3:53 pm

The Green Hornet

Really enjoyed Green Hornet. I'm a big Seth Rogen fan, so I naturally enjoyed his performance. Christoph Waltz was also great; after watching him in Inglorious Basterds, I am convinced that he is the perfect villain. The one who really impressed me is Jay Chou, who plays Kato. He was hilarious! He and Seth Rogen made such a great comedic team.

The Mechanic

Jason Statham has said that The Mechanic is more grown up than his other work. I thought exactly that when I was watching the film. And I thought he played the role of Arthur Bishop perfectly. Likewise, I thought Ben Foster played the role of Steve very well. And the action - amazing stuff! I can't even imagine the amount of work and money that went into stunts and special effects. Great film!

GerryMcD
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu May 26, 2011 7:44 am

As I promised myself, I ordered the bluray of PAPILLON.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:18 pm

From the five dollar racks and bins on my last Wal*Mart visit:

The Shining (Stanely Kubrick Collection, remastered)
Blazing Saddles 30th Anniversary Edition (includes the "Black Bart" rejected TV pilot)
Young Frankenstein

and ...

Howard the Duck. I couldn't pass it up. It's got a making-of short and a piece on the public's reaction to the film.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby minstrel on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 pm

I bought an instructional guitar DVD by Allan Holdsworth. If you don't know who he is, that's ok - your jaw just hasn't dropped yet. I don't expect to learn anything from it, because my fingers just can't do that superhuman thing his fingers do, but it fun and jawdropping to watch him do what he does.
minstrel

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:51 pm

Holdsworth is a god - love his solo work, as well as his stints with UK and The Tony Williams Lifetime. Enjoy that DVD, amigo.
The Vicar

Postby minstrel on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:59 pm

The Vicar wrote:Holdsworth is a god - love his solo work, as well as his stints with UK and The Tony Williams Lifetime. Enjoy that DVD, amigo.

I never heard him with TWL. I'm old enough to remember John McLaughlin with that band ... but then, so are you!

Have McLaughlin and Holdsworth ever teamed up on record? That would be an interesting session, I think.
minstrel

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:13 am

Back To The Future trilogy, No Country For Old Men, and Sin City on Blu. Got great prices on them too.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray