The Last DVD(s) You Bought

Betamax and beyond

Postby athenabodicea on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:48 pm

Hi Vicarious....
I dont think I have see you before...
Nice to meet you...

I like your sig....

What is Cannibal! The Musical???

Oh Yeah... My most recent purchase was Season 3 Scrubs... This is the season with Micheal J Fox appearance....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Bean on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:51 pm

Mine... Brokeback Mountain, The New World, 40 Year-Old-Virgin, and Spinal Tap. It was 4 movies for 20 bucks at Blockbuster!

I'm going to buy V for Vendetta on Tuesday and Boondocks Season 1 before I leave for school.
Last edited by Bean on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby athenabodicea on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:53 pm

Bean wrote:Mine... Brokeback Mountain, The New World, 40 Year-Old-Virgin, and Spinal Tap. It was 4 movies for 20 bucks at Blockbuster!

Now that is a very strange hodgepodge of movies there...
But you certainly cannot beat the price....

I really love Brokeback Mountain...
Sincerely....

I wrote a review about it somewhere... (probablly in the Brokeback Mountain thread)... lol

Nice picks Bean...
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Bean on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:58 pm

Thanks, I loved Brokeback and it's one of my most favorite films ever. The New World is beautiful, hauntingly so. I nearly cry every time I see the opening scene, the sun breaking through the trees, the native indians running through the forset to see the ships with the music swelling... ah!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby athenabodicea on Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:06 pm

Bean wrote:Thanks, I loved Brokeback and it's one of my most favorite films ever. The New World is beautiful, hauntingly so. I nearly cry every time I see the opening scene, the sun breaking through the trees, the native indians running through the forset to see the ships with the music swelling... ah!

Awe...

That was beautiful...

I feel somehow enlightened...
I want to go to the beach and smell the salty air, hear the waves softly crash against the sandy shore, see the moon and stars reflecting off the ocean surface......
And wait for the sun to rise....

Now that is a great note to leave on....

Night all... :)
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Bean on Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:28 pm

Good night! :)
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Tuncrypt on Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:20 pm

I bought South Park Season 7 at Wal-Mart yesterday and I just pre-ordered The Simpsons Season 8, Inside Man, Silent Hill and Silither.

I'm thinking about getting the new Tromeo and Juliet Anniversary Edition but I'm kind of hesitant because I've never seen anything from Troma before.
Tuncrypt
GLIB

Postby Vicarious on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:51 am

athenabodicea wrote:Hi Vicarious....
Nice to meet you...

I like your sig....

Oh Yeah... My most recent purchase was Season 3 Scrubs... This is the season with Micheal J Fox appearance....

Nice to meet you.

Cannibal! The Musical was the first film by Trey Parker and Matt Stone (the creators of South Park). It's pretty stupid, but in a good way with some funny songs and other good stuff, partially because I'm such a fan of South Park. It's based on the only man in American history to be convicted of cannibalism, a wonderful premise for a musical, lol. It's a Troma release so the commentary makes it worth the purchase alone. Trey and Matt and others begin drinking at the beginning of the commentary and are completely trashed by the end, and it makes for a great hour and a half of insanity. Reccomended strongly for fans of Matt and Trey, but not really for anyone else. Heh.
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:00 am

Vicarious wrote:
athenabodicea wrote:Hi Vicarious....
Nice to meet you...

I like your sig....

Nice to meet you.

Cannibal! The Musical was the first film by Trey Parker and Matt Stone (the creators of South Park). It's pretty stupid, but in a good way with some funny songs and other good stuff, partially because I'm such a fan of South Park. It's based on the only man in American history to be convicted of cannibalism, a wonderful premise for a musical, lol. It's a Troma release so the commentary makes it worth the purchase alone. Trey and Matt and others begin drinking at the beginning of the commentary and are completely trashed by the end, and it makes for a great hour and a half of insanity. Reccomended strongly for fans of Matt and Trey, but not really for anyone else. Heh.

Awesome film dude, I fuckin love it. the commentary especially is one of the highlights of the DVD, my fave part is where they stop half way through to go buy more whiskey.

I've went on about this film months and months ago, these idiots never listen

Athena you should know better!

Oh and welcome to the Zone Vicarious
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:24 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:If she's five either Totoro or Kiki's Delivery Service will delight.

That sounds about right. I've never seen My Neighbor Totoro, but it's supposedly the most accessible of Miyazaki's films for little ones.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:52 pm

I finally caved in and bought Bad Boys 2. It was on sale at circuit city. I don't care, I loved it, but I'm a cheap bastard like that. Next up: The Flash Gordon animated series
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:58 pm

Ribbons wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:If she's five either Totoro or Kiki's Delivery Service will delight.

That sounds about right. I've never seen My Neighbor Totoro, but it's supposedly the most accessible of Miyazaki's films for little ones.

I love his more adult movies, but the simplicity of Kiki and Totoro will always win out for their storytelling aspects. They're perfect kiddie movies that grown-ups won't tire of.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby feral cat on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:36 pm

La Grande Bouffe
Butch Cassidy and the sundance kid 2 Disc Ultimate collector's edition
This is Kung Fu
The Mars Villa
Arhats in fury
Dragon Lee's ways of kung fu
The idiot swordsman
Mr X
Bloody Tie
feral cat
GLIB

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:27 am

since i have four kids that means my "disposable income" is nearly non-existant, and i prowl the previously-viewed dvd bin at my local rental store, and this weekend i picked up "History of Violence", "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang", and "Kung Fu Hustle".

i have to say, while i really enjoyed "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" it didn't live up to my expectations, derived from the hype it got on this site.

"History of Violence" i think is one of those movies you have to see a few times for its strength to really sink in. my wife doesn't care for it because she feels the violence is too harsh, the sex scenes too "hardcore", as she puts it. we actually got into an argument discussing it, since i felt she was missing the point of the movie, and took her to task about saying the movie was too violent and the sex too graphic when she is a big fan of the Blade and Underworld movies. i told her that i think she just doesn't like to be confronted with the realism that "History of Violence" presents, while movies like Blade and Underworld are an escape from reality. the intention of History of Violence, imo, is to unsettle, to disturb, to make people think and feel about what they just saw, to confront them.

and for something completely different........................................

Kung Fu Hustle. what a fun movie that also has heart at its core. i love that movie. reminds me of a western fairy tale. something akin to a Baron Munchausen, without the slow parts. one of the most rewatchable movies i have seen in the last couple years.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:34 am

Erummmmm! Well let me see!

Okay then!

Well...

In the last two weeks I've got

Gladiator 3 disc SE
Do the Right Thing
Apocolypse Now: COmplete Dossier 3 disc edition (TURNED UP TO DAY MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!)
American Splendor
The Usual Suspects

I'm sure there more but its near the end of the work day and my mind is shitted!

laters taters :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:45 pm

Saturday I bought the two-disc plus comic special edition of V for Vendetta. Watching it again made the glaring flaws more obvious. If they'd only shot another few minutes of film -- hell, another minute -- they could have explained oh, so much. It's terribly unsubtle but has some good performances even if Portman's accent rambles from posh to working class. Haven't watched the extras yet. I'm hoping they are better than the film.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:05 pm

V for Vendetta's the last DVD I bought too. Up until that point I don't think I'd bought one in months.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby The Vicar on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:56 pm

Bean wrote: The New World is beautiful, hauntingly so. I nearly cry every time I see the opening scene, the sun breaking through the trees, the native indians running through the forset to see the ships with the music swelling... ah!

...then the natives throats close up due to the small pox, typhus & venereal diseases that the thoughtful European's infected their blankets with...gazing out across the waters to the invaders who would destroy their world, their lives, their civilazation.

90% of the natives living on the east coast were wiped so utterly from the face of the earth that the names of their tribes were never even recorded.

If those schmucks knew anything at all, they should have sunk that gorram ship & killed every last person on it.

We Huron are still bitter.

Screw John Smith. And his friends.
Last edited by The Vicar on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Vicar on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:56 pm

Ribbons wrote:V for Vendetta's the last DVD I bought too. Up until that point I don't think I'd bought one in months.

You bought the right one, though...rejoice & be glad!
Here's the bottle opener....
The Vicar

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:09 pm

My pay cheque came through and I went on a bit of a DVD buying spree. Although most were at massive discount:

Apocalypse Now
The Life Aqautic
Superman 1 & 2 (the features for 2 are shite)

Gladiator Extended Edition (bit disappointing as virtually everything in it has been seen before...but I needed a replacement for a failing disc)

I should have the first three series of Sealab as well, once it's delivered.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:11 pm

Man, those sales are evil, aren't they Fried?

Bought Battlefield Earth for a mate as a joke - he collects bad movies and has never seen it! £2. :D To reiterate, I bought myself a signed copy of Brazil and one of 12 Monkeys from Forbidden Planet for £7 each. Unfortunately 12 Monkeys is 4:3 Widescreen. Fuckit!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:35 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Man, those sales are evil, aren't they Fried?

Bought Battlefield Earth for a mate as a joke - he collects bad movies and has never seen it! £2. :D To reiterate, I bought myself a signed copy of Brazil and one of 12 Monkeys from Forbidden Planet for £7 each. Unfortunately 12 Monkeys is 4:3 Widescreen. Fuckit!

All of that only totalled up to about £20, so it's not too bad.

Yeah they were selling those copies Twelve Monkeys on the day for a fiver, but people weren't buying. The FP manager seemed a little peeved that people had brought their own stuff to get signed.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:39 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Ribbons wrote:V for Vendetta's the last DVD I bought too. Up until that point I don't think I'd bought one in months.

You bought the right one, though...rejoice & be glad!
Here's the bottle opener....

Yeah I scored the V : SE dvd this last week and am looking forward to picking up Inside Man tomorrow...Does anyone know if any kick ass category titles are being released this week?
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:40 pm

Apparently the only film that really sold was Fear and Loathing. Such a cult following. But it's not his best film.

The leftovers are tucked away on a back shelf in the sale section. I didn't want to overspend... so I didn't get Jabberwocky, Time Bandits or Meaning of Life. Neeeearly did though. If I'd had known about Monkeys I would've taken one of the others... maybe later on in the week I'll look at getting an exchange. Brazil I'm happy with!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:49 pm

I took 12 Monkeys, Brazil, and Fisher King covers with me , hoping to get em all signed, but they had a two item limit - he had about 45 minutes to get through about 150 people.

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:51 pm

THATS WHAT I GOT!

Widescreen my ass.

... not to say my ass is large, but GODDAMNIT this reminds me of the time I bought a shitty copy of the Big Lebowski.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:55 pm

I bought that a while ago, so I'm surprised they're still selling them.

It's not really 4:3, as the box states, it's just non-anamorphic. Accurate, but misleading.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:00 pm

Best Buy had some DVD's for teh cheap so I picked up:

Spiderman (WS) $3.99
Spiderman2 (WS) $3.99
Dazed and Confused (SE) $3.99
From Dusk til Dawn (SE) $5.99

Not bad for just under $20
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:20 am

In UK HMV do the best sales! I always by my DVD's online but when I'm in town I always check in for DVD's!

Adding to my earlier list I also got with them One Day in September and Bowling For Columbine!

Couple of documentaries for good measure! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:58 am

Yesterday I bought Domino, Gladiater extended 3 disc edition and the collectors edition of Wizard of OZ, which is an amazing 3 disc set of documentaries and pre 1939 screen versions of the book, like cartoons, shorts and adaptations. Beautiful glossy box, with two thick book looking things in it with all sorts of random memorabilia like a replica of the tickets to the premiere and invite.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:59 am

silentbobafett wrote:In UK HMV do the best sales! I always by my DVD's online but when I'm in town I always check in for DVD's!

Oooh I got mine from HMV too!

all 3 for £20|
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:06 am

THey are so good! I got American Splendor for, I think, 2.99! I wanna say 1.99!

Fuck they are good prices! :-)

I got the Gladiator 3discer in there as well!

Last one I got in there was Do The Right THing for 4.99, its uausally 6.99 and comes with extras including commentaries! :-) I'm looking forward to it as I've never seen it and don't really know what its about! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

The last DVD('s) you bought

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:24 am

Jack of All Trades the compeat series.
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Coheed_and_Cambria on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:18 am

Superman the animated series volume 3....and the movie Waiting..
Coheed_and_Cambria
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Vicar on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:17 pm

Vegeta wrote:Best Buy had some DVD's for teh cheap so I picked up:

Spiderman (WS) $3.99
Spiderman2 (WS) $3.99
Dazed and Confused (SE) $3.99
From Dusk til Dawn (SE) $5.99

Not bad for just under $20

Not bad indeed.
Was this some guy on a street corner or sumpthin? :wink:
The Vicar

Postby Bean on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:19 pm

Vegeta, I just bought a box set of the Spider-Man Special Editions, but I paid $20, are yours the two-disk set? If they are I wish I had a Best Buy near me!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:25 am

SPIDERMAN! SPIDERMAN! SPIDERMAN! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:26 pm

Joy Ride.

I can't wait to hear JJ Abrams on the commentary track.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:32 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I should have the first three series of Sealab as well, once it's delivered.

it don't mean butt
if it aint got that jut!
this message has been brought to you by grizzlebees
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby EliCash on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:56 pm

i bought 'ghosts... of the civil dead' for $15 and was really excited (i'd been wanting to watch it for some time) but when i got home found that it was 4:3. those motherfuckers. who would author a dvd in 4:3? it doesnt make any sense. going to take it back. but now i dont know how im going to see the movie
EliCash
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby inevitability on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:44 pm

V for Vendetta.

Waiting for it to arrive by the way (I live in Colombia, got it through Amazon)... =\

Dun dun dun...[/i]
inevitability
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Cold_As_IceSMM on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:05 am

New guy here. My last few purchases over the past 3 months.[/img]
Last edited by Cold_As_IceSMM on Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cold_As_IceSMM
GLIB

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:09 am

Welcome, cold! There's some aces films. You've got some deep taste.

Just to let you know, however, the mods here (who're lovely peeps) aren't fond of us leeching. If you've got time upload them and link from imageshack.us .

Methinks based on those luverlies you've got a lot to talk about. Settle down, grab a cuppa, and get chatting - we're all mad about movies! Gotta love The Rock just thrown in there too... ;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cold_As_IceSMM on Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:21 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Welcome, cold! There's some aces films. You've got some deep taste.

Just to let you know, however, the mods here (who're lovely peeps) aren't fond of us leeching. If you've got time upload them and link from imageshack.us .

Methinks based on those luverlies you've got a lot to talk about. Settle down, grab a cuppa, and get chatting - we're all mad about movies! Gotta love The Rock just thrown in there too... ;)

Done! I mustered enough energy to redo my post. And I appreciate the warm welcome. Word of warning, however. I come from RT.
Cold_As_IceSMM
GLIB

Postby Brocktune on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:54 pm

Cold_As_IceSMM wrote:Image

how much you end up paying for that?

or is it a bootleg?

or is it a laserdisc?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Creepshow on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:56 pm

Eli Roth's HOSTEL
Scary Movie 4
Check out HORROR MOVIE MANIACS! Rank your favourite horror/sci-fi movies in our database and leave comments!!!
Talkback: CreepshowCreep
Creepshow
GLIB

Postby tapehead on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:04 pm

EliCash wrote:i bought 'ghosts... of the civil dead' for $15 and was really excited (i'd been wanting to watch it for some time) but when i got home found that it was 4:3. those motherfuckers. who would author a dvd in 4:3? it doesnt make any sense. going to take it back. but now i dont know how im going to see the movie

-unfortunately, I've never come across a good version of this movie (which I love) available - saw it on VHS in the mid nineties, and later saw it for sale for dvd just once - 4:3. Hang on to it Eli, it might be the best that's available.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:06 pm

Cold_As_IceSMM wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Welcome, cold! There's some aces films. You've got some deep taste.

Done! I mustered enough energy to redo my post. And I appreciate the warm welcome. Word of warning, however. I come from RT.

Rabid Toads? Really Terrible? Rampant Titties? Rogered Tackleberry? Rank Tomfoolery? Richard Thomas? Rapid Tooting?

No, you've lost me there. ;) Cheers for the edit, though!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wheredidigo111 on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:38 pm

I got V For Vendetta. Good movie.
wheredidigo111
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Vegeta on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:45 pm

Bean wrote:Vegeta, I just bought a box set of the Spider-Man Special Editions, but I paid $20, are yours the two-disk set? If they are I wish I had a Best Buy near me!

The are the 2 disc sets, just not in a box set. Bummer for you Bean :(
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray