The Last DVD(s) You Bought

Betamax and beyond

Re: The Last DVD(s) You Bought

Postby Bloo on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:48 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Just picked up POINT BREAK and ROAD HOUSE today. I couldn't resist the power of these two films being sold side by side.

I almost bought those as well
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:27 am

Maui wrote:Do birthday's count?

True Blood Season 1 DVD Box set

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please let there be special features of Alexander Skarsgård :oops:

There's totally not! I was pissed.

I recently picked up The Straight Story, Don't Come Knocking, Dear Wendy, Gremlins, and Striptease. I was also thinking about buying Matilda but I didn't want to go too crazy, so it came down to that and Striptease. I weighed both, one in each hand, and just couldn't resist the charms of butt naked Demi Moore and Burt Reynolds. The lady at the kiosk was highly amused.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:33 am

I just ordered "Garth Marengi's Darkplace" for 7,99€.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DennisMM on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:32 pm

travis-dane wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Just picked up POINT BREAK and ROAD HOUSE today. I couldn't resist the power of these two films being sold side by side.

YEAH! Two old school action movies.
Swayze's best movies.

Unfortunately, that's not saying much.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:58 pm

DennisMM wrote:Unfortunately, that's not saying much.

INFIDEL!
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Maui on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:16 am

DaleTremont wrote:
Maui wrote:Do birthday's count?

True Blood Season 1 DVD Box set

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please let there be special features of Alexander Skarsgård :oops:

There's totally not! I was pissed.

I recently picked up The Straight Story, Don't Come Knocking, Dear Wendy, Gremlins, and Striptease. I was also thinking about buying Matilda but I didn't want to go too crazy, so it came down to that and Striptease. I weighed both, one in each hand, and just couldn't resist the charms of butt naked Demi Moore and Burt Reynolds. The lady at the kiosk was highly amused.

Pfft! I guess I will have to check out other resources for special features of Mr. Skarsgård.

Striptease is such a fun, erotic comedy. Reynolds is incredibly amusing in this! I remember all the hoopla when it came out mostly due to seeing Demi Moore nude but also because she brought home a record salary ($12.5 mil) for an actress.

I used my Best Buys Rewards money ($20) the other day and picked up Beetlejuice, Gremlins and Sixteen Candles. I hadn't watched Gremlins in a very long time and was once again, highly amused with the Mom/kitchen/gremlin scene. :lol: The entire movie is hilarious, but that one scene with the Mom in the kitchen (blenders and microwave) really cracks me up.
Maui
WoWie

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:55 am

Maui wrote:Pfft! I guess I will have to check out other resources for special features of Mr. Skarsgård.

Striptease is such a fun, erotic comedy. Reynolds is incredibly amusing in this! I remember all the hoopla when it came out mostly due to seeing Demi Moore nude but also because she brought home a record salary ($12.5 mil) for an actress.

I used my Best Buys Rewards money ($20) the other day and picked up Beetlejuice, Gremlins and Sixteen Candles. I hadn't watched Gremlins in a very long time and was once again, highly amused with the Mom/kitchen/gremlin scene. :lol: The entire movie is hilarious, but that one scene with the Mom in the kitchen (blenders and microwave) really cracks me up.

That's so weird! I also just watched Gremlins again for the first time since I was a kid. Soooo good. The only complaint I have is that you hardly see any Judge Reinhold! He doesn't even suffer some wrath at the hands of the gremlins for being a snot-nosed yuppie asshole. He also doesn't even whack off to Phoebe Cates naked. I was like, what the fuck is going on here?

But yeah it is a great movie. I loved that they made fun of Phoebe Cates' monologue about Santa in Gremlins 2, but I have to say that she actually sold it pretty well in this one, ridiculous and improbable as it was. I might have even had a little tear in my eye at the end of it.

I enjoyed Striptease more than Showgirls and think overall it is a better movie, but I have to say for some reason I find Showgirls to be way, way hotter. Maybe those pervs Verhoeven and Esterhasz or whatever his name is just know how to make good trashy lesbian scenes, but in any case Demi naked did nothing for me. Weird.

(and Burt Reynolds was the best part of that movie.)
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Bloo on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:53 am

Demi is hotter then Jesse from Saved by the bell but yeah Showgirls has more trashy fun (and lesbian scenes)

Striptease also gave us a great Ving performance, one of his better ones I think
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:04 am

Ah but it was Jesse from Saved By The Bell!!! I watched that every Saturday morning until I was 11, and there she was playing a bi-sexual stripper, my mind was pretty blown, if it had been Kelly Kapowski I probably would have had an aneurysm.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Bloo on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:10 am

TonyWilson wrote:Ah but it was Jesse from Saved By The Bell!!! I watched that every Saturday morning until I was 11, and there she was playing a bi-sexual stripper, my mind was pretty blown, if it had been Kelly Kapowski I probably would have had an aneurysm.

when the movie was released, I was going to Atlanta for a conference from The Young America's Foundation (a conservetive college group), I skipped part of the conference to go see it on the big screen...it was glorious...and the memories of that movie have lasted longer then the autographed copy of an Ollie North book I walked away with
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby travis-dane on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:19 pm

Today I got..

The Wrestler

Der Baader Meinhof Komplex
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:34 pm

Henry Fool

Loves me some Hal Hartley.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:49 pm

picked up UNCOMMON VALOR today for Oleg Movie Club at Wal-Mart for $5
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:05 am

I also picked up UNCOMMON VALOR today for Oleg Movie Club at Wal-Mart for $5

And briefly considered buying BLACK DOG and TO WONG, ETC. as well but instead bought BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:07 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Henry Fool

Loves me some Hal Hartley.

Great movie.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:50 pm

I am required to watch Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Kahn for my Oleg Movie Club, so I figured I'd finally familiarize myself with the phenomenon of Star Trek. I bought this box set of all six original Star Trek movies on the blu-ray format. It was reasonably priced and if I end up not liking these movies I am sure I can sell this box set off and come out better off than if I'd paid to rent each one.

I am actually looking forward to exploring this series. My only exporsure to Star Trek was in the form of the 2009 J.J. Abrams film which I thought was okay but kinda lacked the stuff I like in sci-fi movies such as a sense of wonder and discovery and tackling of big ideas. I wrote a review of that film in which I speculated that Abrams was making paralells to September 11th and Osama Bin Laden because the bad guy destroys a huge American structure and then makes all these grainy videos from his cavernesque space pod where he taunts the world and rambles about how all his destruction is somehow justified but nobody really understands. But nobody really goes after him as much as you'd expect them to after he causes so much death. Everybody wrote me to say that I was reading too much into the film with that analogy and I recently read an interview with Abrams where he says there was no political/social commentary in his film but he hopes to do some of that in his next Trek flick because apparently that's part the appeal of the series. So I guess that makes me wrong about the 2009 film, but means that maybe there is some stuff that is more to my tastes for me to look forward to in these old films.

I'm probably most looking forward to seeing the first one because everybody calls it boring and slow and I tend to like sci-fi movies like that. 2001: A Space Odessey is one of my favorite films and I also like stuff like Solaris. So this series should represent a fun journey for me.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bloo on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:09 pm

Spandau, you'll probably love Star Trek 1 (which I didn't like the first time I saw it but as I've grown older really does work for me)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:41 pm

I bought Carpenter's "The Fog" and season 1 of "Addams Family". (Did you know that the first episode was directed by Arthur Hiller?)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:43 pm

I bought DVDs of Star Trek and Moon today.

I also bought a DVD of Top Gun a couple of weeks back in Toronto which is packaged in a faux flight jacket.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:30 pm

I got myself...

Watchmen

Star Trek

State of Play (The British mini-series)
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:25 am

I bought The Great Dictator but when I put it in my laptop it ended up being Nick of Time.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Seppuku on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:47 am

DaleTremont wrote:I bought The Great Dictator but when I put it in my laptop it ended up being Nick of Time.

I don't get why everyone compares those two movies. They're, like, completely different.

The only DVDs I really buy anymore are TV box sets. And mostly comedies...'cause times is hard. So:

Arrested Development, complete seasons.
Flight of the Conchords, Season 1 + 2
The Armando Iannucci Show
In the Loop
State of Play (Series 1)
Moon
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:32 pm

I haven't bought yet, but am going to buy Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut. I own the huge-ass Superman special edition set with all the films, but the Donner Cut has disappeared and I want to see it. FUCK!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:58 pm

Another Big Lots $3 run:

Smokey and the Bandit 2

Hardcore(yes, the George C. Scott movie)

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Was out at Mall*Wart (your source for cheap plastic crap) and picked up The Blues Brothers for five bucks. I considered Angel Season Five, but decided to wait until after payday.
DennisMM

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:35 pm

It may be the source for cheap plastic crap... but it's also the source of my paychecks. The point is... you are alive when they start to eat you. So, you know, try to show a little respect?
caruso_stalker217

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:55 pm

You are not the company. I can respect you and have bad thoughts about them. And that is my final statement on this matter.
DennisMM

Postby travis-dane on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:04 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:It may be the source for cheap plastic crap... but it's also the source of my paychecks. The point is... you are alive when they start to eat you. So, you know, try to show a little respect?

Fuck you Wall Mart Man!
My son will eat you back to life and then kill you again!!!!
JJ!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:06 pm

I bought this Ultimate Cut of Watchmen because why the fuck not? I liked a fair portion of the movie but still consider it deeply flawed. I found the director's cut improved the film by sheer virtue of dilluting the stuff I did not like, so though a fuckin' pirate cartoon in and that should help too. Maybe there's a bunch of shots of eagles flying and rhinos humping we can chuck in this thing too.

I'll watch this thing sometime over the Christmas season.

Oh, and the scenes of Manhattan's backstory are some of the most glorious ever filmed. Crudup stirs me like a martini.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:18 am

Bottle Rocket Criterion Blu-ray
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:18 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I bought this Ultimate Cut of Watchmen because why the fuck not? I liked a fair portion of the movie but still consider it deeply flawed. I found the director's cut improved the film by sheer virtue of dilluting the stuff I did not like, so though a fuckin' pirate cartoon in and that should help too. Maybe there's a bunch of shots of eagles flying and rhinos humping we can chuck in this thing too.

I'll watch this thing sometime over the Christmas season.

Oh, and the scenes of Manhattan's backstory are some of the most glorious ever filmed. Crudup stirs me like a martini.

my local wally world didn't have the Ultimate Cut so I bought GI JOE Resolute (2nd time around still great, except for some minor pacing issues like the fades where you can tell were for commercials) and GI JOE The Real American Hero 1.2 set
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:35 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Bottle Rocket Criterion Blu-ray

Super sweet. I can't wait to watch that one again... and on Blu-Ray... Drool. Early nineties Indie heaven.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:33 pm

Last night I ordered from Amazon The Prisoner: The Complete Series Megaset Collector's Edition on DVD. Probably because of the blu-ray release, this sucker was marked down to $28.99. I couldn't pass on that price.
DennisMM

Postby Bloo on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:52 pm

DennisMM wrote:Last night I ordered from Amazon The Prisoner: The Complete Series Megaset Collector's Edition on DVD. Probably because of the blu-ray release, this sucker was marked down to $28.99. I couldn't pass on that price.

that's a great price I might have to get that as well
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Blow
V For Vendetta
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
The New World
on Blu-ray
Corvette Summer on DVD

Really looking forward to seeing Corpse Bride in HD since it was shot digital. I imagine it will be akin to looking through a large window into a dollhouse.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:16 pm

I bet The New World in Blu looks amazing as well
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:23 am

Picked up the first season of "Star Trek." Unfortunately it's the "remastered" version with the modern day computer effects. They aren't intrusive like what Lucas did with STAR WARS or even what Wise did with TMP, so thankfully it's only mildly distracting at times. But so far I'm getting into the show, of which I've only seen a handful of episodes before. Can't wait to revisit "Balance of Terror" and "Space Seed." Those were pretty darned good.

Also, Nichelle Nichols is hot as hell.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:10 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Also, Nichelle Nichols is hot as hell.

I knew her mostly from Truck Turner where she played an administrator of a House Of Kunis where she challenged the city's pimps to bring her Isaac Hayes's severed head in exchange for her roster of ladies. She was pretty dreamy in that.

Seeing her later in those 80s Star Trek movies when she kinda got that whole ready-for-the-golf-course type of look going was not so hot.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:32 pm

And yet we still got a nude fan dance in THE FINAL FRONTIER.
caruso_stalker217

Postby travis-dane on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:12 pm

I bought SUPERNATURAL season 1.
good show.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:00 pm

JJ's Star Trek and Drag me To Hell for each 8,99€
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby minstrel on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:46 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:JJ's Star Trek and Drag me To Hell for each 8,99€

JJ's Star Trek? Read my review in the Star Trek thread.

I just received Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Don't know what's going to be next.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby justcheckin on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:24 am

Star Trek... couldn't help it... had to get it.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:36 am

minstrel wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:JJ's Star Trek and Drag me To Hell for each 8,99€

JJ's Star Trek? Read my review in the Star Trek thread.

Read MY review in the same thread, a few pages earlier. :)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby travis-dane on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:43 am

Today I got..

Terminator Salvation(I hate the story, but the action is awesome)

The Hangover
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Just ordered King Kong '76 on blu-ray

Postby ufoclub1977 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:57 pm

I spotted that is was available , hopefully region free like they stated, in France. This was my first movie that I chose to see in the theatre. And it's such a great movie for a kid. the John Barry score, GREAT ACTORS: Jessica Lange, Jeff Bridges, Charles Grodin, COOL KONG FOR 70's VERSIMILITUDE: Rick Baker/Carlo Rambaldi Kong, the great epic island landing, the world trade center, the efficient story pacing, mythic fairytale tone mixed with very hip sly 70's satire. This flows with emotional dream logic, whereas Jackson's Kong is a big, pretty, massive dead weight that can be quite boring and gaudy. But... I guess Jackson is prone to gaudy. But why, oh, why, the staccato slo-mo on the monsterous natives in Jackson's version? Kong '76 also had that great poster.

http://www.crashthesuperbowl.com/#/video/4955
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: Just ordered King Kong '76 on blu-ray

Postby travis-dane on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:24 pm

You really dont have to open a new thread for that, try that one....

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25656

mod edit - Thanks, travis!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:12 pm

More $3 superbargains:

Ballad of Cable Hogue
The Haunting(orig.)
Son of Kong
Horror Double Feature(Curse of Frankenstein/Taste The Blood Of Dracula)

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:47 pm

My Inglourious Basterds Blu-ray shipped yesterday.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:27 am

So, I got some stuff for Christmas...

Ong Bak 2

Hellboy

Hellboy- The Golden Army

Crank 2

Supernatural season 3 and 2

The Shield season 6

G.I. JOE
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray