The Last DVD(s) You Bought

Betamax and beyond

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:57 pm

I picked up Ninja Scroll because of it being on so many people's Best Anime's list. If it's shit there's gonna be hell to pay...!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:00 pm

the man with no name wrote:Ghostbusters 1 & 2
The girl Next Door
Old School
The Day Today

Classics i'm sure you'll agree!

The Day Today is most definitely. Chris Morris is the balsiest fella on TV since Dennis Pennis, his Brass Eye episode covering peadophilia redifined the word riskè. Also a friend of mine pointed me over towards Nathan Barley which, if you live or have been in Brighton, England, is like a Sonny Chiba kick to the face it's so dead-on.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby JabberJaw on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:34 pm

The Brothers Grimm (i know, i know)
Death Race 2000
My Name Is Nobody
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Cottonwood on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:33 pm

Brocktune wrote:my copy of "stunt rock" just arrived via the mail yesterday. i was super pumped, untill i watched the fucker. one of the worst atrocities ever committed to a film, when they transferred it to dvd. they cut the fucking opening credits out. it goes from the fbi warning, straight to the movie. then, right when the opening titles are about to start, they cut to the fucking MENU?!?!?!?! then, when you select "play movie" it cuts to just after the credits. i was fuming! they butchered the movie, and my memories. bastards. criterion, where are you when i need you? actually, the concept of this movie being released as part of the criterion collection is utterly laughable. but, then again, they did do the rock, and armageddon.

Didn't Criterion (all hail) get paid hugely for doing ARMAGEDDON (so Bruckheimer could feel good about himself), and with that loot Criterion good put out another bunch of truly fine flics?
Cottonwood
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Brocktune on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:48 pm

yeah, i know.
i dont like to think about it, but i do know. but if them putting out the rock, and armageddon allows them to continue to treat kurosawa the way he deserves to be treated, then i guess i can look the other way.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Franke on Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:42 pm

Ordered today:
Napoleon Dynamite
Sha Po Lang
Everything is Illuminated

Can't arrive here soon enough.
Franke
GLIB

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:43 am

Just got:
The Karate Kid
The X-Files: Fight The Future
Oldboy ($8!)
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:06 pm

In the last week I acquired Lon Chaney Sr in Phantom of the Opera, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Penalty, Shadows & The Unholy Three.

Thought I'd better collect what I could of the amazing Lon Chaney before they all blink out of existance.

Now I'm going to try to watch Phantom using Dark Side of the Moon as soundtrack.
I'll let you know.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Vegeta on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:58 pm

Well, I picked up a bunch recently:

Pay Back
Phonebooth
A History of Violence
Tombstone
Raising Arizona
Saw
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby MadCapsule on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:06 pm

Recently bought Three...Extremes.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:26 pm

The Vicar wrote:In the last week I acquired Lon Chaney Sr in Phantom of the Opera, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Penalty, Shadows & The Unholy Three.

Thought I'd better collect what I could of the amazing Lon Chaney before they all blink out of existance.

Now I'm going to try to watch Phantom using Dark Side of the Moon as soundtrack.
I'll let you know.

Have you ever seen Chaney in that silent expressionist masterpiece 'He Who Gets Slapped' where he plays a scientist cheated on by his wife and scientific patron? He then joins the circus as a clown so as to willingly suffer humiliation and ridicule to justrify that he's become a clown in body as well as spirit. It's a truly extraordinary film, a friend taped it off TCM some time ago so I don't know whether it's availabe on video or DVD. But if you're a Chaney fan (or a fan of unusual, one off films) this is essential. He's absolutely amazing in it.
Chaney is one of the films forgotten geniuses. He's the silent cinema's equivalent to Brando or De Niro or Pacino.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:32 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:
The Vicar wrote:In the last week I acquired Lon Chaney Sr in Phantom of the Opera, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Penalty, Shadows & The Unholy Three.

I'll let you know.

Have you ever seen Chaney in that silent expressionist masterpiece 'He Who Gets Slapped' where he plays a scientist cheated on by his wife and scientific patron? He then joins the circus as a clown so as to willingly suffer humiliation and ridicule to justrify that he's become a clown in body as well as spirit. It's a truly extraordinary film, a friend taped it off TCM some time ago so I don't know whether it's availabe on video or DVD. But if you're a Chaney fan (or a fan of unusual, one off films) this is essential. He's absolutely amazing in it.
Chaney is one of the films forgotten geniuses. He's the silent cinema's equivalent to Brando or De Niro or Pacino.

Absolutely goddam right!
I had a shot at He Who Gets Slapped on Ebay recently, but the price went a tad over my head. I really, really want to get that one. Chaney was a genius - a man more uniquely qualified than any other to be a silent film star. Chaplin, Lloyd, Murnow, Keaton...sure there were genuises in the Silent Era...but Chaney, the son of deaf/mute parents, was created for the silents. You never had trouble understanding what a Chaney character was thinking or feeling. His skills in makeup were years beyond his contemporaries. His Phantom makeup held up after an underwater scene...without losing a thing. The guy was special.
Nice to bump into someone else around here who thinks so too.
The Vicar

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:08 pm

The Vicar wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote:

I'll let you know.

Absolutely goddam right!
I had a shot at He Who Gets Slapped on Ebay recently, but the price went a tad over my head. I really, really want to get that one. Chaney was a genius - a man more uniquely qualified than any other to be a silent film star. Chaplin, Lloyd, Murnow, Keaton...sure there were genuises in the Silent Era...but Chaney, the son of deaf/mute parents, was created for the silents. You never had trouble understanding what a Chaney character was thinking or feeling. His skills in makeup were years beyond his contemporaries. His Phantom makeup held up after an underwater scene...without losing a thing. The guy was special.
Nice to bump into someone else around here who thinks so too.

True, Vicar, Chaney was special. When people start thinking of the great screen actors they begin at Tracy, Cagney, etc - and great they were. But the fact remains that the silent era threw up their fare share as well. It wasn't all melodrama and ham-fisted stuff. Chaney pre-dated them all and is all but forgotten now. People should check out his work...they won't be disappointed. Unforgiveably, my friend taped over 'He Who Gets Slapped' (for, of all things, a routine soccer match - happily, his team lost!) but I do know it was on TCM (this was several years ago) so they may still hold the rights to show it if it hasn't been on DVD yet. Fortunately, I managed to watch it a couple of times before it got wiped and I tell you, if and when you do see it you won't be disappointed. It truly is a bravura performance in a strange, surreal film.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:22 pm

Most recent purchases were: Corpse Bride, H'arry Potter 4, Wallace and Gromit movie, Howl's Moving Castle.

They're for the kids (yeah, right they are!)
Last edited by monorail77 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby The Wrong Guy on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:33 am

Arrested Development Season Two just came out in Australia. So I've just bought that, and fucking hell this show is good.

Also getting KOTH Season One (FINALLY released down under this week) on Saturday. Woot!
The Wrong Guy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby raasnio on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:59 pm

A History of Violence.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Dark Knight on Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:25 am

A History of Violence.

Great movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should've gotten a best picture nod!

Anyway, my most recent purchase was Family Guy Volume 3. I wish it had more episodes on it but it has videos of some of the table reads for the show which is really cool special feature that I wish they would put with more animated show DVDs.
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby raasnio on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:32 pm

Dark Knight wrote:
A History of Violence.

Great movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should've gotten a best picture nod!

I thought so. I guess Cronenberg will just remain an underground director. We'll give his films all kinds of good press but won't honor him with a statuette and a place in history.

Given the fact that most of the nominated films and winners each year leave me scratching my head, I shouldn't be surprised. I just really felt, though, that A History of Violence had everything going for it. My guess is Hollywood just doesn't like him, or possibly, they don't 'get' him.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:36 pm

I got one of those "Royal Mail knocked but you couldn't be bothered to get up" things in the letterbox today.

It could mean I can go and pick up The X-Files series 3 & 4 and a copy of Good Night & Good Luck.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:45 pm

Some gimp from parcelforce left a stack of books I ordered from Amazon, lying on my bloody doorstep yesterday. For an hour they just sat there! Anyone could have ran off with em.

Man, what I wouldn't give just to have caught that motherfuck doing it. You just don't fuck around with another man's parcel like that. It's just not right. Boy, I wish I could've caught him doing it. I'd have given anything to catch that asshole doing it. It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it...

:x :evil: :x
Last edited by Flumm on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:45 pm

Have his badge number next time.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:47 pm

Flumm wrote:Some gimp from parcelforce left a stack of books I ordered from Amazon, lying on my bloody doorstep yesterday. For an hour they just sat there! Anyone could have ran off with em.

Man, what I wouldn't give just to have caught that motherfuck doing it. You just don't fuck around with another man's parcel like that. It's just not right. Boy, I wish I could've caught him doing it. I'd have given anything to catch that asshole doing it. It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it...

Motherfucker.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Flumm on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

( :wink: )

What's more chickenshit than fucking with a man's parcel? I mean...don't fuck with another man's parcel!
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:19 pm

You don't do it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

The last DVD('s) you bought

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:04 am

I just picked up Batman Beyond Season 1

DC can claim one thing... is that their Cartoons after BATMAN were instant classics....

BELSS YOU DINI!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Petri on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:32 am

Flumm wrote:Some gimp from parcelforce left a stack of books I ordered from Amazon, lying on my bloody doorstep yesterday. For an hour they just sat there! Anyone could have ran off with em.

Fedex did the same thing to me with my (much coveted) front row seats to the Big 12 football championship.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Vegeta on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:22 am

I picked up Snatch and The Royal Tennenbaums this weekend.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby freak2thec0re on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:16 pm

doesn't even matter if i'm home, fedex doesn't even bother buzzing my apartment. they just put a note on my mailbox and leave all packages at the tire shop next door.

unforutunately I have no idea who anyone at the tire shop is, and if one of them decided to snatch my package and run, I'd be screwed

not a big fan of fedex
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:25 pm

I picked up Anchorman for a fiver on Saturday. Brilliant comedy nearly worth the price for the anchor fight alone.

"I killed someone with a Trident."

"Yes, I was going to talk to you about that... you should find a family friend or safehouse..."

... or something to that effect... gets me every time!

Pshaw, I got to walk a mile to the depot thanks to not having a working bell. I've had stuff disappear on me twice this last three months! Your issues are nothing compared to mine! ;) BWAHAHAHA!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby raasnio on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:13 pm

King Kong (2-Disc Special Edition)
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby The Vicar on Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:08 pm

Picked up Kong last night, stayed up late to watch it & now my ass is dragging like it weighs 300 pounds.

It was worth it though.
Jackson got jobbed out of a best director / best picture nomination.

Was it/he the best of last year?
But it/he deserved the noms.

Sod the Oscars.
The Vicar

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:58 pm

Just picked up Millenium Actress. HMV in the UK have a sale. At one point I was holding about 6 DVD's... grr...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:59 pm

They (Amazon) do that to me virtually ev ery goddamned time - I reckon they tell their guys to do it. Very annoying when I normally order in blocks of £100 or more. One time, they made a semi-effort and put it under my mat - except they didn't tell me so there they hid for three full days. Until I trod on it. But as so far none have been damaged or nicked, I've done nothing but mumble to myself. Another win for apathy - meh.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:06 pm

I just bought "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and can't wait to watch it tonight. I b ought with it season one of The 4400, which I haven't gone out of my way to find out about and haven't heard much about either.

Put on the pilot last night circa 11pm and by the end of the pilot I wasn't sure.....I found plenty to like and dislike in the pilot, in equal measure. I struggled with the lead male - don't even know the dudes name - he reminded me of early R D Anderson in terms of acting coming second to perfeect hair and white teeth - bit too TV Star to buy into the character. The writing was stilted and there were quite a few cheesey lines.

But the premise intrigued me and there were whole chunks I liked - the way those featured failed to adjust and gravitated back towards each other for example. The character of Orson (or as he struck me at times - the telekinetic evil twin of Dean Wormer) was raw - and I can also forgive a pilot more sins than other episodes - its hard to write because of course, you're also sucking studio ass like no other time, in the hope it gets picked up.

So I watched the next episode and that was me ruined - watched the whole season back to back and now I want more.....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:14 pm

..and you know you shouldn't.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:18 pm

X-Files series 4 was delivered today. Good Night & Good Luck appears to have gone missing....
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby feral cat on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:01 pm

Time Bandits
Q The winged serpent
Near Dark
House
Color me blood red
She Devils on wheels
Last edited by feral cat on Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
feral cat
GLIB

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:17 pm

Blue Thunder SE
Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Flaming Lips, all their music vids
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby LeFlambeur on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:26 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Oldboy ($8!)

Where?
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:27 pm

LeFlambeur wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Oldboy ($8!)

Where?

Local rental place had it used.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:09 pm

I bought those two Star Trek fan collective sets. The Borg one is okay, suprisingly the Enterprise episode is one of the best on there. Q Who is still a great story.

The Time Travel is excellent, except for that crappy Voyager finale.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby feral cat on Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:53 am

Deadly China Dolls
Lethal Panther
Shaolin Red Master
My Lifes on the line
The Hot The Cool And The Vicious
Snake Deadly Ace
Hell'z Windstaff
Wu Tang Magic Kick
Hitman in the hand of buddha
Raiders of Wu Tang
Deadly Silver Spear
feral cat
GLIB

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:09 pm

I sense a theme...

I've been working from home lately, so I picked up a ton of stuff from local stores. Reveng of The Sith for £6, the first three Harry P movies, unboxed 2 discs, for £9, all thre Blade movies, unboxed 2-disc (save for Blade, 1-disc w/extras) also £9 and the excrable Final Fantasy: Advent Children.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:53 pm

just picked up criterions "rebel samurai" box set.

i totally buted a nut right in my pants.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

The last DVD('s) you bought

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:02 pm

last couple of days i've picked up the following

FINAL FANTASY: ADVENT CHILDREN (finally found it)
PREDATOR SP. ED.
GHOSTBUSTERS (the single disc out of the 2 pack)
THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS vol. 2
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby cinephile2000 on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:17 pm

Versus cool movie, awesome action.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:30 pm

I got a batch of DVDs last week, updating and/or completing a series I already own.

1. Bram Stoker's Dracula Super-bit (I really hated the transfer of the original DVD)

2. American Wedding

3. Austin Powers: Goldmember

4. The Matrix Revolutions

5. X2: X-Men United

So now I own all the American Pie*, Austin Powers, Matrix, and X-Men films currently available. Now I need to work on getting current on my Simpsons and South Park sets . . .

* not counting Band Camp which was barely worth the rental
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Seppuku on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:41 pm

Brocktune wrote:just picked up criterions "rebel samurai" box set.

I got a good deal on e-bay for the Rebel Samurai flicks, and after watching them I would have paid twice that much for such great films. It's hard to say what my favourite is, maybe Sword of the Beast, maybe Samurai Rebellion. Although according to its director, Mifune wasn't running at full steam during Samurai Rebellion, because he was more interested in his new production company- but it doesn't show in the film, his performance is something that has to be seen to be believed: slow-burning for two hours until he just explodes come the the climax.

And a bit of advice if you haven't watched it yet, think of Kill! as being a really, really black comedy/Samurai movie spoof and you'll enjoy it more. I guess every genre's had its spoofs- from Westerns with Blazing Saddles to Bond-type flicks with Spy Hard, but I love Kill! the most because, unless you're concentrating hard, you almost don't realise it's a send-up.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Brocktune on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:52 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Brocktune wrote:j ust picked up criterions "rebel samurai" box set.

I got a good deal on e-bay for the Rebel Samurai flicks, and after watching them I would have paid twice that much for such great films. It's hard to say what my favourite is, maybe Sword of the Beast, maybe Samurai Rebellion. Although according to its director, Mifune wasn't running at full steam during Samurai Rebellion, because he was more interested in his new production company- but it doesn't show in the film, his performance is something that has to be seen to be believed: slow-burning for two hours until he just explodes come the the climax.

And a bit of advice if you haven't watched it yet, think of Kill! as being a really, really black comedy/Samurai movie spoof and you'll enjoy it more. I guess every genre's had its spoofs- from Westerns with Blazing Saddles to Bond-type flicks with Spy Hard, but I love Kill! the most because, unless you're concentrating hard, you almost don't realise it's a send-up.

awesome! i cant fucking wait to watch these. mifune and nakadai are both powerhouses. there are a few of kurosawa's other supporting actors tossed in there too, i noticed. and the packaging. oh man, i love it. the kind of 60's style and color selections. imma start this shit tonight!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray