Star Wars complete set?

Betamax and beyond

Star Wars complete set?

Postby BobGobbler on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:19 pm

Has anyone heard anything about this yet? I would hate to have to wait until the end of the year.
Peter Jackson is overrated.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:44 pm

If such a thing were to happen, wouldn't it make sense to do it next year during the 30th anniversary of Star Wars?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:49 pm

Like there'll ever be a complete set. George Luca$ Jnr (sorry for the dollar sign, it's a habit of mine) will be churning-out Episode -19 to Episode -16 come 2040.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:50 pm

But then again, if, and that's a big if, IF there were the original cuts on the complete set, I might think about buying it.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:58 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:But then again, if, and that's a big if, IF there were the original cuts on the complete set, I might think about buying it.

No such luck. He has already stated that we will never see these on DVD.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:04 pm

I don't understand why Lucas would want to keep the black market alive. People are making a killing providing the public with what they want because Lucas refuses to.

I personally think it's a shame that future generations won't be able to see the films that truly started it all.

"I am very concerned about our national heritage, and I am very concerned that the films that I watched when I was young and the films that I watched throughout my life are preserved, so that my children can see them." -- George Lucas
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:07 pm

RogueScribner wrote:"I am very concerned about our national heritage, and I am very concerned that the films that I watched when I was young and the films that I watched throughout my life are preserved, so that my children can see them." -- George Lucas

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:13 pm

Yeah, but the way George wants it, he means it to be preserved in a jar of burning acid rather than a jar of life long varnish lotion.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby El Scorcho on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:18 pm

Personally, I'm waiting for the 31st Anniversary, Extended, Elongated, Truncated and Completely Digitally Restored, 4-D Edition.
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:25 pm

It can remain the same as long as noone anywhere is even the least bit offended by it.

IE: Where did the guns go in E.T.? Oh they are now sawed off wakie-talkies
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Eric G on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:34 pm

If you want to watch the original 70's theatrical realease, im afraid you'll have to make do with the VHS' that are available through eBay and the like..... other than that; I have a burnt copy on DVD that I transfered myself and picture quality and sound are spot on.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:40 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:It can remain the same as long as noone anywhere is even the least bit offended by it.

Spielberg released both versions of the film on DVD, so it's not like he's trying to erase history or anything (unlike Lucas).
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:45 am

RogueScribner wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:It can remain the same as long as noone anywhere is even the least bit offended by it.

Spielberg released both versions of the film on DVD, so it's not like he's trying to erase history or anything (unlike Lucas).

And also with his updated versions we got the bathtub scene... and seeing that in the theater after not seeing the original in 10-15 years made me laugh outloud. Spielberg truly knows how to update AND satisfy his fans all at the same time.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Theta on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:50 am

Considering that Fox just repackaged the OT without the bonus disc, I would be amazed if they didn't come out with a box next year, at the very least containing the OT and the one good prequel, plus four coasters, possibly a bonus disc.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Carolian on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:30 am

I wish he'd just remake the OT with Gungans playing all the parts, and be done with it. Then we could finally see the scope of his vision.

"Meesa sense a disurbabence in de Force!"
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:31 am

I wrote a song about George Lucas yesterday. I'm recording it today. It's called "George Lucas Raped My Childhood".
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby El Scorcho on Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:35 am

Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:I wrote a song about George Lucas yesterday. I'm recording it today. It's called "George Lucas Raped My Childhood".

I believe that's already been recorded by 1500 other "artists." So it would only be a cover.
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:11 am

I believe that's already been recorded by 1500 other "artists." So it would only be a cover.

I don't care.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:44 am

I love Star Wars, but theres no way I'm gonna be double dipped / tricked into buying TPM and AOTC again. Unless, of course, they are completely different films that do honor to the brilliant grandslam homerun franchise saver that is ROTS.

I also wish Lucas would release the original cuts as well; if only for the sake of cinematic history which he says is so important to him (*sincker*). He's a jerk. It's true. But I still love Star Wars.

Btw, has anyone watched ROTJ lately? Dear god. Aside from the Luke and Vader stuff, it's pretty awful. So, when you look at the whole thing from 1-6, you have 1(terrible), 2(meh), 3(OMG!!!), 4(YAY!), 5(PERFECTION), and 6 (meh; but with a great redemption themed ending).
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:44 am

Tubbs Tattsyrup wrote:I wrote a song about George Lucas yesterday. I'm recording it today. It's called "George Lucas Raped My Childhood".

Oh stop it.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:51 am

One day, long into the future, George Lucas will hopefully do a Special Special Edition of the Saga, with all of the deleted scenes integrated back into the films. That would make them a different viewing experience, henceforth it would feel, to an extent, like watching them as new movies.

THEN I'd fork out my dollaries for it. Seeing as for one thing it'd have that fucking criminally deleted Space Battle from ROTS put back in. It does exist, hasn't anyone seen my RTOS Space Battle. WHY SO SHORT?!?! thread?

I copied and pasted the original shot script for tha sequence there.

CouPLUG!gh cough!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:47 am

I'm sure I've heard somewhere that he intends to do Special Editions of Eps I-III, but you hear so much bullcrap about Star Wars, it's hard to know, or care....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:05 am

|Is he still going to try and do the 3D thing with them?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:45 am

Shane wrote:|Is he still going to try and do the 3D thing with them?

Who gives a fuck? We don't REALLY need to see a cheesy 3D Version of it, no matter ho many X Wings are flying right at you.

Fucking hell George Lucas, make a film will ya?

Sheesh, this guy is really milking this SW Cow more than thomasgaffney pulling one of Lord Voldemoo's teets off.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:24 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Shane wrote:|Is he still going to try and do the 3D thing with them?

Who gives a fuck? We don't REALLY need to see a cheesy 3D Version of it, no matter ho many X Wings are flying right at you.

Fucking hell George Lucas, make a film will ya?

Sheesh, this guy is really milking this SW Cow more than thomasgaffney pulling one of Lord Voldemoo's teets off.

LOL?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:37 am

I suspect he may wait until the BlueRay HD-DVD thing starts to heat up and then put his support behind whichever format he likes best with a boxset release...possibly with Theatrical cuts of the first three films. I don't really believe the "never to be released again" jive about the theatrical cuts. It's a great marketing strategy to get people foaming at the mouth for a duoble dip.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:51 am

Actually, I think he fully intends to never let the original cuts see the light of day again because the Special Editions are his "true" vision and bowing to pressure to release the original cuts would undermine that.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:22 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Sheesh, this guy is really milking this SW Cow more than thomasgaffney pulling one of Lord Voldemoo's teets off.

WILL I NEVER LIVE THAT DOWN?!?!?!

you did destroy the pictures like I asked, right?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:25 am

RogueScribner wrote:Actually, I think he fully intends to never let the original cuts see the light of day again because the Special Editions are his "true" vision and bowing to pressure to release the original cuts would undermine that.

I think that is hot air. The man is a master at marketing.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:29 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:Actually, I think he fully intends to never let the original cuts see the light of day again because the Special Editions are his "true" vision and bowing to pressure to release the original cuts would undermine that.

I think that is hot air. The man is a master at marketing.

Who has repeatedly said the O-OT would never see the light of day again. Has he ever flat out said he was never going to do something and then end up doing it anyway? I can't think of one instance. If he were a true master at marketing, they'd be on DVD RIGHT NOW and then he'd hit us again on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and then hit us again on whatever format comes out after. Not making available money off of something and creating a huge black market for said material is not proof of marketing mastery, IMO.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby El Scorcho on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:44 am

Fuck all of you. ROTS wasn't that much better than TPM or AOTC. I cannot understand where the massive amounts of praise came from. I actually prefer AOTC, awful dialogue and all... For me it didn't have one moment that killed the whole film like ROTS did. And we all know what that was.
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:50 am

El Scorcho wrote:Fuck all of you. ROTS wasn't that much better than TPM or AOTC. I cannot understand where the massive amounts of praise came from. I actually prefer AOTC, awful dialogue and all... For me it didn't have one moment that killed the whole film like ROTS did. And we all know what that was.

Noooooo, I don't know what that moment was- enlighten me...

And the equivalent scene in AOTC was with Padme in the sand. That scene looked like it had been filmed by zombies, with a zombie in front of the camera delivering zombie-written lines with all the finesse of a...you guessed it, zombie.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby El Scorcho on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:01 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
El Scorcho wrote:Fuck all of you. ROTS wasn't that much better than TPM or AOTC. I cannot understand where the massive amounts of praise came from. I actually prefer AOTC, awful dialogue and all... For me it didn't have one moment that killed the whole film like ROTS did. And we all know what that was.

Noooooo, I don't know what that moment was- enlighten me...

And the equivalent scene in AOTC was with Padme in the sand. That scene looked like it had been filmed by zombies, with a zombie in front of the camera delivering zombie-written lines with all the finesse of a...you guessed it, zombie.

PADMEILASH!
El Scorcho
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Exterminans on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:45 pm

I think we will get the original editions on Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD) at some point. There is too much money to be made. I imagine a massive Blu-Ray/HD-DVD box set which could be stuffed full with tons of material.

So when he says it will never be available on DVD he is probably being honest. But that doesn't mean it will NEVER be released again on any format. Its probably best to wait for the next format and shove it all into one box set.
Exterminans
GLIB

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:22 pm

There is no limitation with the current video format. The reason Lucas went with the four-disc DVD box set wasn't because he had tons of material at his disposal and was too lazy to sort through it; he said it was because he didn't have as much archival material to work with for the original films.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't have anything to do with why he chooses to erase the theatrical cuts of the Classic Trilogy from history. You cannot find them anywhere anymore: not on VHS, Beta, or DVD. They do not exist, save for some used or illegally duplicated copies on eBay and similar sites. Hell, I don't think you can even get the theatrical cuts of the Special Editions anymore!

Is this age of special and extended editions, where we have Peter Jackson giving us 4-disc sets for each of the LOTR flms, James Cameron giving us a 3-disc Titanic, and Warner Bros. planning a 14-disc Superman set, it can't be hard to throw Star Wars fans a bone and release the theatrical cuts on DVD, either paired with their Special Edition counterparts in a boxed set, or sold separately. I don't think many people would mind getting a bare bones release if they could only have the versions of the films they remember from their youth, the versions that became a global phenomenon and made history.

The thought of future generations only being able to view altered versions of these groundbreaking films without having to visit some old archive or black market footage is just sad.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:29 pm

RogueScribner wrote:The thought of future generations only being able to view altered versions of these groundbreaking films without having to visit some old archive or black market footage is just sad.

In all likelyhood the future generations won't care. I suspect kids who only see the new versions will like them as much as the previous generation liked the original cuts. Perhaps if they saw them to compare and contrast they might like the original cuts but I don't think they will somehow inherently dislike the special editions SW as a result. That reaction is reserved for those who saw the changes take place.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:28 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:The thought of future generations only being able to view altered versions of these groundbreaking films without having to visit some old archive or black market footage is just sad.

In all likelyhood the future generations won't care. I suspect kids who only see the new versions will like them as much as the previous generation liked the original cuts. Perhaps if they saw them to compare and contrast they might like the original cuts but I don't think they will somehow inherently dislike the special editions SW as a result. That reaction is reserved for those who saw the changes take place.

As a matter of film history those cuts should be preserved. I don't really care if future kids dig on the films. It's not like kids nowadays dig on the Three Stooges or Thunderbirds. That's not the point. When people look back at what was, they should get an accurate reflection.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:45 am

With 100 hour long episodes of star wars tv and then the clones wars dvds and Endor films, the complete set is gonna be alot of moola. For the complete set minus the holiday special of course. Alas, poor Lumpy, never to be seen on DVD, I weep, i really do.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:50 am

That one Endor movie with the kid getting stuck under the lake and not being able to surface used to scare the crap out of me.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby monorail77 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:58 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:In all likelyhood the future generations won't care. I suspect kids who only see the new versions will like them as much as the previous generation liked the original cuts. Perhaps if they saw them to compare and contrast they might like the original cuts but I don't think they will somehow inherently dislike the special editions SW as a result. That reaction is reserved for those who saw the changes take place.

Unfortunately, all too true. I get the impression that this so-called outcry for the original cuts is just so much fanboy whimpering (I count myself in that group, btw). The rest of the natural world just doesn't give a shit. Fact is, these cuts won't be released, not just cuz Lucas prefers his Special Editions, but because there's no market for them. They would sell in the thousands, not the millions. There are therefore, in their estimation, a waste of time.

On another note, did anybody see the pared-down IMAX release of AOTC? I'd like to see that edit released somewhere. I thought the edits were an improvement. Plus, seeing it in IMAX was grand.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Return to DVD / Blu-ray