Moriarty's DVD Shelf! Warner, AVENGERS, ELECTRIC CO & Mo

Betamax and beyond

Moriarty's DVD Shelf! Warner, AVENGERS, ELECTRIC CO & Mo

Postby Moriarty on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:55 am

Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:00 am

Mory, are you going to be able to post a review of the 14 disc Superman set with the new Donner-esque cut of Supes II before it comes out? for the $ it will require to make that purchase, i'm sure there are folks who'd like an idea if it is going to be worth it, myself included. thanks.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:00 am

WOW! Nice a job onna that piece, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:10 pm

Great Article Mori, I heartily recommend other Zoners take some time to read it all.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Re: Moriarty's DVD Shelf! Warner, AVENGERS, ELECTRIC CO &

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:19 pm

Moriarty wrote:So this year, they’re putting out four new Kubrick special editions, part of a new collection, starting with 2001, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, THE SHINING, and for the first time on American DVD, the full uncensored EYES WIDE SHUT.

HELL YEAH!!!!!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:15 pm

Did anyone else check the Avengers clip? That didn't look/feel like an animated Ultimates film for adults. It looked/felt like Saturday morning pap. But that's my opinion. Anyone else?
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:21 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:Did anyone else check the Avengers clip? That didn't look/feel like an animated Ultimates film for adults. It looked/felt like Saturday morning pap. But that's my opinion. Anyone else?

ugh.

yeah, have Thor sound like a tool, remove his beard, and show something that was only alluded to in the comics.

blech.

Still gonna check it on the 21st, but not nearly as excited as I was before.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bc1970 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:50 pm

Moriarty wrote:That pipe is going to be your lifeline.

Okay kids... who clogged the information pipeline again? I got 3 That's So Ravens, 2 Hilary Duff songs, a Barbie game and The Princess Diaries Saga in here. Fess up and get me a plunger.

I'm glad Warners is getting away from snap cases. It just hit me- Batman Begins isn't in one. Does anyone have a handy list of those 5,000 titles not yet on DVD? I bet there's some truly lovable crap on there.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:55 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:Did anyone else check the Avengers clip? That didn't look/feel like an animated Ultimates film for adults. It looked/felt like Saturday morning pap. But that's my opinion. Anyone else?

ugh.

yeah, have Thor sound like a tool, remove his beard, and show something that was only alluded to in the comics.

blech.

Still gonna check it on the 21st, but not nearly as excited as I was before.

When I hear Marvel is turning a property into an animated film, I instantly lose interest. It just rings of cheap cash in. Like w/ the Marvel Collection that Lionsgate is putting together. An animated film containing 5 seperate stories starring The Hulk, The Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Iron Man and Captain America. 5 stories in one film basically promises each will be the length of a cartoon episode. Which leaves just enough time for us to get a cliche story for each character. And I doubt Marvel will be adventurous enough to animate it like say a Heavy Metal or Animatrix.

Bah! Grow some balls, Marvel! Lionsgate owns the rights for Iron Fist and Black Widow already. Throw them in with Black Panther and the other 3rd stringers you're whoring out these days and do a team film. Bring in one a creative writer and do something original with these characters. Use the film to reinvigorate an interest in them.

And for God's sake, give Dr. Strange his own live action, R-rated film! And none of that family friendly, dummed down, FF crap! Bah!
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:07 pm

Good article, Mori.

Y'know, I spoke with a friend last night who works at Warners and the rumor there is that they're going to be dramatically downsizing in their Home Video department. Not sure if that'll effect their output at all.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Cottonwood on Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:17 pm

Good one, Mori, gracias.
And yes, how about them WB's? The other day I received the Peckinpah westerns box - oh boy, what a great piece of work. Different versions of PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID, a stunning version of THE WILD BUNCH, shit loads of extra's... This is getting close to a plant, but I'm just too giddy about this one. Can't wait for the MALTESE FALCON editions. And the other 4.999.
Cottonwood
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:09 pm

i would have to say thats a spot on description. reminded me of the X-men cartoons of the early 90's.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm

Very nice Mori. I'm glad to see somone addressing the upcoming introduction of HD/Blu as anything but a great idea. I am far from an expert but I don't see the average home user switching over when most people still don't own HD tv's.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

I think the Avengers Cartoon will be worth a check out. But the Electric Company? WTF?

Some of the Sam Spade stuff, Streetcar Named Desire, and Thin Man stuff looks like something I'll be putting on my Christmas list. As well as some of the Kubrick stuff, most Kubrick I have is on tape.

Odd thing I preffer the new Lolita over Kubrick's.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Return to DVD / Blu-ray