King Kong

Betamax and beyond

King Kong

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:04 pm

March 28th is the day. JoBlo has the story up HERE, minus pretty much any specifics.

Here are the covers:

Only two discs for that Special Edition? I'm surprised. It's approrpiate, what with the Production Diaries already out there, but I'd have thought they'd milk this thing for all it's worth.

Then again, I'm betting the Extended Cut is around the corner...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:06 pm

No announced Extended Cut yet?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:08 pm

Jackson mentioned he had a four-hour cut, but there has been no official announcement, no.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Drummerdude on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:11 pm

this cover....well it just kinda looks bland, not like the classic that it is, and where are the snippets from reviews on the box? im not saying that the art isnt good, but i dont think the ACTION pose is the right one, especially when this KONG is meant to be advertised as a drama, what about the pic of Kong sitting with Anne on the top of the Empire State building, just the two of them, before the planes come?
Drummerdude
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:19 pm

I think it's meant to harken back to this one...

...or, better yet...

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:52 pm

Hehehe.... and a the Dino quotes... "the most exciting original motion picture event of all time."

Original... BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Goddamn I love a that poster!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:54 pm

What the fuck is that???.....I thought a lot more effort would have gone into that, especially if we're not getting an extended cut with all the bells and whistles on (oh please let there be one), theres no finess there, it looks like a cheap action movie for crying out loud!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:11 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Hehehe.... and a the Dino quotes... "the most exciting original motion picture event of all time."

Y'know, I think "The best thing ever in the history of mankind--yes, even better than God and sex" would have fit.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby The Vicar on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:45 pm

I'd love to have Kong on DVD, but I'm not buying it twice - I am holding out for that inevitable Deluxe Version that Peter Jackson is fond of putting out.

Still a little pissed at having fallen for that one with The Trilogy.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:51 pm

Hmmm....I don't know Vic - this is coming straight from the imperfect annals of "I seem to remember....", but (coughs) I seem to remember that it was New line who insisted on the two versions of LOTR in the early days and so Jackson thought....wellllll, if we're going to do that, lets really make it count.

I owned the trilogy twice over, but settled on the EE as my fave and traded the other three back in for VICE CITY: SAN ANDREAS.

I hate mutli-format release but felt less cheated with LOTR than with most....?
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MiltonWaddams on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:56 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Jackson mentioned he had a four-hour cut, but there has been no official announcement, no.

Oh good, he made it longer.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby RockyDennis on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:59 pm

Ill buy one of these. If there is a four hour director's cut, I won't get it. The King Kong story doesn't lend itself to a four hour version like the Lord of the Rings movies did.
RockyDennis
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:59 pm

The Vicar wrote:I'd love to have Kong on DVD, but I'm not buying it twice - I am holding out for that inevitable Deluxe Version that Peter Jackson is fond of putting out.

Yes, but dinna they announce a the Extended Edition atta the same time as a the initial release? It's a not a like a you have anyone a to blame but a yourself, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DennisMM on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:01 pm

I still think this is what Jackson should have remade:

http://www.tvacres.com/simians_apes_kong.htm
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Vicar on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:04 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
The Vicar wrote:I'd love to have Kong on DVD, but I'm not buying it twice - I am holding out for that inevitable Deluxe Version that Peter Jackson is fond of putting out.

Yes, but dinna they announce a the Extended Edition atta the same time as a the initial release? It's a not a like a you have anyone a to blame but a yourself, no?

My fault, true - I didn't want to wait... so I am a goddam putz. But not this time. LOTR was something I'd been waiting 30 years to see....Kong? No. This time I can hold my water.
The Vicar

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:06 pm

Specs for the Kong DVDs have been announced. Here's the release:

Universal Studios Home Entertainment wrote:Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced that Peter Jackson's King Kong will arrive in stores March 28, 2006.

The DVD, featuring collectable original package artwork specially designed by the Oscar®-winning artists at WETA Digital Ltd, the production company behind the film's dazzling visual effects, is available in both the thrilling original theatrical version and a Special Edition two-disc set that gives audiences a whole new "Kong" experience. Featuring a fascinating inside look into the creation of the film's two cinematic worlds -- Skull Island and 1933 New York City -- the Special Edition offers an unparalleled opportunity to share Peter Jackson's creative genius and the cast and crew's passion in bringing the timeless story to the screen. The single disc version is available at $29.98 SRP and the two-disc Special Edition is priced at $30.98 SRP.

"'King Kong' is one of those rare cinematic achievements that reminds us of the truly magical power of movies," says Craig Kornblau, President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment. "From the first frame, Peter Jackson and his team take us on an unforgettable adventure that not only thrills, but also touches us on a deep, emotional level. We are extremely proud to be able to bring this one-of-a-kind film to home entertainment audiences."

"The original 'King Kong' inspired me to become a filmmaker," said director/producer Peter Jackson. "It's a story that had a profound personal impact and shepherding its return to the big screen has been a dream come true. Contributing to the DVD afforded me the opportunity to share this amazing experience with audiences and highlight the incredible achievements of our exceptional cast and crew."

King Kong features a stellar cast including Oscar® nominee Naomi Watts, Jack Black, Oscar® winner Adrien Brody, Colin Hanks, and Andy Serkis. Director and producer Jackson co-wrote the update on the classic 1933 film with his longtime collaborators and fellow Oscar® winners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens. The film has earned over $215 million at the box-office and is nominated for four Academy Awards®, including Best Visual Effects, Best Art Direction, Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing.

A timeless tale of love and survival, King Kong is the story of a desperate young actress, Ann Darrow (Naomi Watts), and an ambitious and unscrupulous movie producer, Carl Denham (Jack Black), who travel to a mysterious jungle island. There they discover an extraordinary lost world, and encounter Kong, a gigantic, savage gorilla who is unexpectedly smitten with the leading lady. But it is their mutual empathy and affection that eventually lead to the beast's tragic downfall.

The two-disc King Kong Special Edition DVD allows viewers unparalleled access to the world of visionary filmmaker Peter Jackson as he creates this larger-than-life epic adventure for the ages. Thrilling behind-the-scenes features bring this instant classic to viewers in a whole new way with exclusive content that follows the film's stars and crew in action as they bring this timeless tale to the screen.

Special Introduction by Peter Jackson

Post Production Diaries -- Director Peter Jackson takes you on an unforgettable journey with Naomi Watts, Jack Black, Adrien Brody and the crew of King Kong as they reveal virtually every aspect of post production on this groundbreaking film, nearly three hours of exclusive behind the scenes footage!

Skull Island: A Natural History -- Travel to treacherous Skull Island with Peter Jackson and his crew! From its mysterious origins to its reclusive inhabitants and jaw-dropping creatures, uncover the fascinating facts about one of the last uncharted places on earth.

Kong's New York, 1933 -- 1930s New York comes alive in this fascinating piece that explores vaudeville, the skyscraper boom, the construction of the Empire State building and more.

It says the "Post Production Diaries" are on the 2-disc set, but I'm assuming they mean the Production Diaries as well. (They changed from the PDs to the PPDs when the film went into post.) If that's the case--fucking awesome!! I was tempted to buy the PD set when it came out, but I'll get it all here now!

And still no word on an Extended Edition. Personally, that 2-disc is enough Kong for me.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:39 pm

Goddamn Paramount DVD production values... they screwed a the Dino's Kong onna the DVD release... TWICE!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:52 pm

I still like the 1976 Dino production of Kong more. Yes, the man in suit and big fake kong hand....and HOT AS HELL YOUNG JESSICA LANGE! (Drooooool)

Confuscious say: CGI alone does not a movie make.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:59 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:I still like the 1976 Dino production of Kong more. Yes, the man in suit and big fake kong hand....and HOT AS HELL YOUNG JESSICA LANGE! (Drooooool)

Confuscious say: CGI alone does not a movie make.

Nor does JESSICA LANGE
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:04 pm

Hehehe... a lot of a you young putzes donna remember the problems the Dino had with a the Universal back a then, eh?

We both inna the race a for a the Kong... they sue the Dino, the Dino sues them, anna we both inna the race a to get our Kongs inna to a the production first, no?

Hehehe... I actually start a filming for 3 weeks early anna shut down a the production for a the month just a so's I can a be a the first with a some film inna the can, eh? Hence a the phrase "Shoot it! Print it! Inna the can!!!"

But I tell a you... Barry Diller at a Paramount, he come a to me anna he says "Dino, you gotta to settle with a the Universal, eh? I got a some a deals a with a them anna they gonna to go sour iffa you donna settle, eh?"

Anna the Dino, he was alla like "but I'm inna the right, no? I got a the signed contract with a the goddamn RKO, eh? What do they got... some a kind of a the verbal agreement, no? She's a not worth a the paper she's a written on, eh?" Anna Diller, that goddamn putz, he say "Dino, iffa you donna settle, I gonna to pull a the plug onna your Kong, eh?"

So I settle with a the Universal, eh? I give a them a some merchandising rights anna the percentage of a some of a the profits, no? Anna get this: they get a the rights a to make a THEIR Kong as a long as a they wait 18 months after a mine, she is a released, eh?

Can a you believe it!?? The putzes, they wait a the 19 goddamn YEARS a to exercise a that part of a the deal, eh? OLD SCHOOL, BABY!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Peven on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:56 pm

18 mnths......19 yrs, maybe the copy of the agreement they got had a typo? :wink: :lol:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:02 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
It says the "Post Production Diaries" are on the 2-disc set, but I'm assuming they mean the Production Diaries as well. (They changed from the PDs to the PPDs when the film went into post.) If that's the case--fucking awesome!! I was tempted to buy the PD set when it came out, but I'll get it all here now!

And still no word on an Extended Edition. Personally, that 2-disc is enough Kong for me.

actually - i think they do mean Post-Production Diaries - cause he left the post-production ones out of the Collector's Edition Production-Diaries cause he didn't wanna reveal too much - and he said we'd be able to get them later - namely - then - i believe - on the DVD... it'd be cool if it all was on there - but i think they might figure that it could take away from the collector's item of the initial diaries' release... but who knows...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:50 pm

I believe Havos is correct. Man I really was hoping for a longer cut...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:03 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I believe Havos is correct. Man I really was hoping for a longer cut...

The cut we got was macho enough. I was hoping for a shorter cut.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:10 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I believe Havos is correct. Man I really was hoping for a longer cut...

Seriously how many films have shorter cuts out as DVD exclusive versions....(not counting Christian nut 3rd party companies editing out violence and language from films).....

I was hoping for the entire raft sequence re-edited into the film.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:13 pm

havocSchultz wrote:actually - i think they do mean Post-Production Diaries - cause he left the post-production ones out of the Collector's Edition Production-Diaries cause he didn't wanna reveal too much - and he said we'd be able to get them later - namely - then - i believe - on the DVD... it'd be cool if it all was on there - but i think they might figure that it could take away from the collector's item of the initial diaries' release... but who knows...

Kyle's Mom wrote:WHATWHATWHAT?!

They DIDN'T release the PPDs in that PD set?!! How lame is that?

Looks like I'll have to get both after all...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:16 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:

Seriously how many films have shorter cuts out as DVD exclusive versions....(not counting Christian nut 3rd party companies editing out violence and language from films).....

I was hoping for the entire raft sequence re-edited into the film.

Alien and maybe the unreleased Bladerunner. I KNOW there's more. But I can't think of any.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:19 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Alien and maybe the unreleased Bladerunner. I KNOW there's more. But I can't think of any.

Please explain.....There is a shorter than theatrical release of Alien and Bladerunner on DVD?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:26 pm

Eep. I think I misunderstood you. The DVD special ed cuts are shorter than the theatrical.

edit - oops. No I understood you fine. I'm tired. Yeah, the directors cut of Alien and apparently the unreleased Bladerunner are shorter cuts.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:28 pm

Wait so Alien with the extended scene of Ripley finding the crew becoming eggs is actually shorter then the original theatrical release? Same for the Blade Runner with a different ending?....I had no idea.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:30 pm

Unless my wires are burnt out, I distinctly remember Alien being tightened up even with those extra bits. The unreleased Bladerunner I read to be shorter.

Expecting correction soon. :D

edit - just checked Alien, it's a minute shorter including the extra scene. Bladerunner I'd have to dig around about, but the new release everyone's creaming themselves owner supposed to be another tighter cut too.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:50 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:What do they got... some a kind of a the verbal agreement, no? She's a not worth a the paper she's a written on, eh?

Very nice Sammy Goldwyn quote, and an even better story to go with it. That's our Dino for ya, good one.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby The Vicar on Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:04 pm

Bladerunner, the recent Dir cut, had a scene added, very brief, with a unicorn.

The "happy ending", with Deckard & Rachel slipping off into the great unknown, was deleted.

The happy ending was longer than the Unicorn dream sequence, so overall the director's cut of Bladerunner should be shorter.

Barely.

Wasn't the dir cut of Alexander shorter?
The Vicar

Postby dimnix on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:35 pm

I cant imagine the new edit for the deluxe dvd will be 4 hours. And it's been mentioned as a "new edit", not as an extended edition... who knows, they may even remove bits and well as add stuff in. And the new stuff... it's well worth seeing. The swamp scene kicks ass... I can understand why it was cut (as it is yet another monster attack scene among many) but it's worth being in there just for the pirahnadon.

And there are some great little kong/anne moments on the island, and the scene with the terror bird.

I'm really looking forward to the new cut.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:45 pm

This is a the first I've a heard of a the "new" cut, eh? Can a you elaborate, paisan?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:22 am

exactly the stuff I want to see dimnix.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby dimnix on Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:51 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:This is a the first I've a heard of a the "new" cut, eh? Can a you elaborate, paisan?

well, we're obviously getting a deluxe dvd later in the year (as the extras on this set arent up to usual PJ standards), and with all the great stuff cut out, everyone's expecting a EE or new cut. It's not been officially confirmed as far as I know, but P.J and some distribution companies have been quoted mentioning a "new cut"... I found this stuff online, not as insider info through my work, but on places like kongisking.net and their message boards.

So, it's not official. but all signs point to it happening.

And as for the scenes I mentioned... they're elaborated on in the making of kong book aswell as the novelisation, and they're personal favourites of mine that I've seen art/miniatures/footage from, and I hope they're in there.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:21 am

The Vicar wrote:Bladerunner, the recent Dir cut, had a scene added, very brief, with a unicorn.

The "happy ending", with Deckard & Rachel slipping off into the great unknown, was deleted.

The happy ending was longer than the Unicorn dream sequence, so overall the director's cut of Bladerunner should be shorter.

Barely.

Thanks for the clarification. However, apparently there's another unreleased cut which is stuck in legal wrangling which is even tighter than the one we know from the early nineties.

And yeah, the directors cut of Alexander WAS shorter than the theatrical.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: King Kong

Postby Theta on Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:42 am

I enjoyed it, but this is a "wait-until-it's-in-the-$10-bin" disc for me. Especially after the "Kong" release we got from Warners, the original is the winner and still champion.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:03 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Bladerunner, the recent Dir cut, had a scene added, very brief, with a unicorn.

Barely.

Thanks for the clarification. However, apparently there's another unreleased cut which is stuck in legal wrangling which is even tighter than the one we know from the early nineties.

And yeah, the directors cut of Alexander WAS shorter than the theatrical.

Not sure I'd want to see less Bladerunner.
The idiotic happy ending had to go.
But knowing Ridley I'm sure there's more, groovy stuff just waiting to get re-edited back into the light.
And I want to see it.
The Vicar

Return to DVD / Blu-ray