Free DVD's on newspapers! ACES!

Betamax and beyond

Free DVD's on newspapers! ACES!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:31 am

I'm not sure how good or bad a deal it is for the filmmakers, but HELL! I've been getting some good stuff over the last year off the Guardian here in the UK.

This weekend I scored The Wicker Man. I've seen the 2 disc DVD edition, but never bought it, so I was pleased to get it for the price of my weekly Saturday rag. Plus it's totally uncensored, which was a suprise. In the last year or so I've also nabbed The Madness of King George, Cinema Paradiso, Bagdad Café and Lynch's Dune. HOW AWESOME IS THAT?

Does it happen where you live? What have you scored?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:35 am

I bought the Sunday Times specifically for the Donnie Darko Directors Cut a few weeks back.

I think this is something that only happens in the UK right now, Newspapers in the States aren't having the same kind of Decline I think.

This thread is a good idea for giving people the heads up for DVD's though, good one AH
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Carolian on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:36 am

This isn't fair! Our newspapers suck, too! Why can't THEY put in amazingly awesome free DVDs?

God damn it, if I DO take that vacation to London this summer, remind me to buy some newspapers.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:37 am

John-Locke wrote:Newspapers in the States aren't having the same kind of Decline I think.

They certainly are, eh? They just donna have a the crafty putzes inna the marketing departments figure out a the fancy DVD schemes yet, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Carolian on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:38 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Newspapers in the States aren't having the same kind of Decline I think.

They certainly are, eh? They just donna have a the crafty putzes inna the marketing departments figure out a the fancy DVD schemes yet, eh?

I dunno, maybe they're just a bunch of cheap bastards.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby tapehead on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:41 am

This is a cool thing - I posted the wicker man dvd as coming a up a week or two ago on the remake thread.
The only thing to be aware of is that these are sometimes not so great loking - often 4:3 or 12f12n aspect ratio, and sometimes sourced from old 1" analogue masters

still way cool freebies though
The Mail had Zulu Dawn last Sunday
and the week before News of the World had John Cleese in Clockwise (which was better than I had remembered it)
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:48 am

I read an interview with Murdoch recently saying he hates this trend in the UK and didn't want to see it happening in his other markets - although his papers her in the UK certainly have discs as often as the rest
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Sat May 13, 2006 11:40 am

BUMP

geez, I've been the dodgy, thread-killing last post in this thred for quite awhile... anyway
ZONERS in the UK, today's edition of the Times has a free DVD copy of Fritz Lang's incomplete masterpiece 'Metropolis' - no Queen or Giorgio Moroder, and this edition is billed as an attempt to construct a version of the film as close to the one that would have first premiered (it's thought that as much as a quarter of the original film has been lost). Anyone interested in Science Fiction and things that look beautiful should watch this movie.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat May 13, 2006 11:46 am

Good gravy. Not only do you get movies in your papers you get good movies. If it happened here all we would get is Big Mama's House or the Dukes of Hazard. Sometimes America makes me sad. :(
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby tapehead on Sat May 13, 2006 12:26 pm

Look at poor Bob now... head in his enormous hands - cheer up monkey boy - think of your countries Film Industry, good quality of life and respect for rugged individualism - all very good things
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Sat May 13, 2006 12:36 pm

These discs are kinda hit and miss. One week you might get Highlander, the next you get I Remember Cecil or some should-be forgetten 80s film with Jeremy Irons.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat May 13, 2006 12:38 pm

yeah - they do trade their fair share of rubbish as well as gems like this week's and 'The Wicker Man' a while back.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat May 13, 2006 12:39 pm

Well that makes me feel better. I still think we would be getting a whole bunch of Princess Diaries DVD's in the states though.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 13, 2006 12:39 pm

Thanks for that Tapehead. I just rushed out and got me a copy of The Times, just for Metropolitanis.

Owe you owe a beer for taht. You can either profit from this, or be destroyed.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Seppuku on Sat May 13, 2006 12:46 pm

It's weird how the quality of the film reflects the quality of the paper (if there is such a thing). So the Sun will have Canonball Run 2 and The Observer will have The Last Emperor; the Mirror will have Mel Gibson's version of Mutiny on the Bounty and the Guardian will have Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire.

To tell you the truth, I just nick all those DVDs from me granny, who, since the age of 10, has been obsessed with entering every single competition in the paper available. I think so far she's won two holidays, a colour TV (it is colour believe me), a microwave oven and a signed album by Bryan Adams. I don't think she's much of a movie women, so she doesn't mind if I nab a couple of the good ones (that I don't already own).

It just makes you wonder how much DVDs must cost to produce if they can be given away with a 30p paper...the rights on those things can't be as expensive as you'd think, and I suppose they can write onto a DVD for a few pennies each.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat May 13, 2006 12:52 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Thanks for that Tapehead. I just rushed out and got me a copy of The Times, just for Metropolitanis.

Owe you owe a beer for taht. You can either profit from this, or be destroyed.

Sounds like one hell of a beer.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sat May 13, 2006 1:03 pm

tapehead wrote:BUMP

geez, I've been the dodgy, thread-killing last post in this thred for quite awhile... anyway
ZONERS in the UK, today's edition of the Times has a free DVD copy of Fritz Lang's incomplete masterpiece 'Metropolis' - no Queen or Giorgio Moroder, and this edition is billed as an attempt to construct a version of the film as close to the one that would have first premiered (it's thought that as much as a quarter of the original film has been lost). Anyone interested in Science Fiction and things that look beautiful should watch this movie.

Seconded. Metropolis is a seminal movie, second only to M in the Lang canon.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Sun May 14, 2006 6:40 am

excellent - my evil plan is working and when the next 'Zone's Favorite Director' poll comes - the ones I have converted to worship at the altar of Lang will come forth and vote
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Return to DVD / Blu-ray