What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Betamax and beyond

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:55 am

havocSchultz wrote:March of the Penguins was a fun, cute, informative, and slightly heart-wrenching (if you love animals quite a bit) little documentary... it's amazing what the emperor penguins go through in the harshest environment on earth just to keep their species alive - and they go through it for about 9 months out of the year... loved it...

Heh - I saw this two weeks ago. The bit that "got" me and made me laugh the hardest all at the same time is near the beginning. They make this 75-odd mile shuffle to their breeding ground where they soon get on with laying that years egg.

Because the females are the first to have trek all the way back again, first they have to shuffle the egg off their bony little talons and on to the males. Disaster besets them during this because a) if they miss, the egg will be likely to crack on the ice, and b) if the egg becomes overly exposed during transition, the extreme cold will expand and break the egg anyway.

So, you make that trek which in itself is a feat of modern day nature...get all that way and then..>CRACK<.

Damn (or "Quack" to use the vernacular).

And thats it...with no common tie to bind, the no-longer-parents-to-be go shuffling off. No need to remain with the pack. No need (and probably too ashamed/angry) to be with one another.

They just go shuffling off into the distance, separately, to their lonely, icy white death.

Penguins eh? :cry:

Well I finished Season One of Battlestar Galactica and I've got to say it is rapidly becoming my fave show currently airing, just behind LOST. If anyone else out there did what I did and let the original 70's show keep you from this one......well, don't is all.

On this weeks radar are SAW 2, Battlestar Season 2 and Scrubs 3. 8)
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:00 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
On this weeks radar are SAW 2,

ya - so hold off on reading my little bit of spoilers in the same post as the penguin thing... but - if you saw and enjoyed the 1st saw - you should enjoy the 2nd as well... and Battlestar - mmmmmmmm... justy finished going through the 1st season again... getting hands on the 1st half of season 2 very soon... cannot wait...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:08 am

havocSchultz wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:
On this weeks radar are SAW 2,

ya - so hold off on reading my little bit of spoilers in the same post as the penguin thing... but - if you saw and enjoyed the 1st saw - you should enjoy the 2nd as well... and Battlestar - mmmmmmmm... justy finished going through the 1st season again... getting hands on the 1st half of season 2 very soon... cannot wait...

BATTLESTAR SPOILER BATTLESTAR SPOILER BATTLESTAR SPOILER

Good eh HS? I think the first half of Season 2 is available in the UK too (hopehopehope)..I can't wait. I really liked the two-parter in the middle around Starbuck crashing on that moon and working out the Cylon craft.

I love the Cylon confusion over their being Gods...or the fact they may not be quite so confused come the final reckoning. I want to go on but can't else it'd belong on the Galactica thread...which is rife with Season 2 spoilers!

I nimbly avoided the Saw 2 spoiler, treading on the broken dreams of that other poor fellow as I did so :D
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby feral cat on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:27 pm

Ashura ... pretty cool sword and sorcery fantasy from Japan

Wishing Stairs ... pretty fun but very generic Korean Horror
feral cat
GLIB

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:23 pm

So the Dino, he just a finish a watching a the "High Tension" onna the DVD last a night, eh?

I donna get what alla the fuss, she was about, eh?

THE SPOILER, SHE IS A COMING!!!

Alla the putzes, they were alla talking about a the "big a twist" ending anna such... but a the Dino, he asks a you, "where's a the twist, eh?" Dinna they tell a you a the ending inna the very opening scene of a the movie? Anna subsequent scenes, they support a the twist as a well? Maybe I been a too spoiled by alla the "Psycho"s anna the "Fight Clubs"s anna such, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:41 pm

I just finished watching Mirrormask. Holy Shit. Its a great film. I remember reading the advance on it over on the main aicn page regarding it being a Jim Henson production company production and scripted by Neil Gaimon,which got me mighty excited, then the reviews came in and things did not look great. They must have been the biggest non-geek reviewers, for this film is damn near masterpiece material. Basically, if you love the muppets, dark crystal and Labrinyth, see this film. Make it a priority, its given me my fun dark fantasy fix to last me until Pan's Labyrinth and POTC2.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:54 am

I am watching Constantine, I really enjoy this movie. I know it got a bad rap but I am all for it. Love the devil at the end.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

in the player recently

Postby Henryhill1976 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:27 am

I've been on a Peckinpah kick lately. With the release of his "legendary westerns" boxset on DVD back in January, every one of his feature films is now available on DVD. I finally caught up with "Convoy", "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" and my personal Peckinpah fav, "The Killer Elite". Elite is a humorous, thrilling, tightly edited and photogrpahed 70's thriller that gets no respect whatsoever. James Caan is the man in this film, exuding cool and charm in every frame. I highly recommend it. Once I finish a couple more, I plan on writing a little something about Sam the man at my blog... http://itsamadmadblog2.blogspot.com
Henryhill1976
GLIB

Postby Flumm on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:12 am

I'm catching up lately on things that I managed to miss, so if it's a big movie I'll try not to bore you with stuff you've heard a million times already, although there is a couple of less well known flicks that I'll sketch out a little incase you haven't come across them...

Watch out if you want to remain pure and unspoiled...

Kill Bill V1

I liked it. There were several really great moments, a couple of brilliant ones. Trashy, glossy, dirty, sweaty, grimey, visceral, the shallower of the two movies, but entertaining and compelling none the less. I thought Lucy Lui as O-Ren was great and she's still one of the most quietly confident people on screen, although perhaps not quite living up to the cumilitive effect of watching the anime backstory, Crazey 88 battle and the 1v1 with Go Go Yubari beforehand, although it's a great character in a pair of movies filled with them, everything in the last 3rd of the film is really, really strong and it's easy to see why out of the 2 movies, one ends with The Bride vs Bill, and one with The Bride vs O-Ren Ishii...

Kill Bill V2

Hard to distuingish one film from the other for me, let alone say one is definitively better. It could quite well depend what mood I'm in, altogether though I would say I preffered V2. It does absoloutely slacken towards the end, and you feel it, but I enjoyed the fleshing out of the characters, the wedding scene inparticular was fantastic, Micheal Parks as Bill's strange old mentor made me sit up and smile with the deliscously overdone, sleasy way he played it, and Masden's line "She deserves her revenge....and we deserve to die..." was the best thing I've seen him do since Reservoir Dogs on it's own. Uma was occasionally a little to gangly and ill fitting for the supposed prowess and skill that The Bride is meant to have, but mostly I think overall she won me over with her sense of humour and just that inate intelligence she seems to bring with her, and the love story at the center of the movie worked for me, because of Thurman's and Carradine's naturally laconic stlye and subversive swagger. Although for all the build up of Bill's death, it was filmed in a very unremarkable way. He just sort of collapses onto the fake lawn, and that was it. it was almost as if we were are watching it through the lens of a documentary camera, being shot for a DVD extra... a little jarring, but not enough to spoil all that's come before.

Kill Bill V1 8
Kill Bill v1 8.5

Despite all the things there were to savour though, through both movies, I couldn't help but feel that it wasn't on the same level as you know what...
Where as Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are almost scene for scene moment for moment memorable, from teh music to the dialogue to the framing, Kill Bill V1/2 just weren't as consistantly great. Even Jackie Brown I felt was a more distilled film, that it had more definiation to it as a whole. It's a shame really, he's become a legend in his own lifetime, he came out of the gate like a madman, and now he's got an uphill battle to assail his own achievements...

House Of Flying Daggers

Great film. I ended up watching it twice. As it unfolded, and twist followed twist, the whole film became tighter and more captivating. I thought I had it sussed from the start, but then it went on to pull the rug out from me, waiting till I got up again, asking it why would it do that to me,and then it just laughed in my face and did it again. The performances especially are a lot stronger on the second time round. The cinematography is luscious and crisp, without being overdone like these things oftencan be, there was reall atmosphere and depth to the images, as apposed to an episode of CSI Miami or something, where it looks like some douche just turned up all the dails in the editing suite while no one was looking. As I said, I felt it was stronger the second time, only because there was the odd moment during the first sitting where the acting was a little overdone, and odly placed... but go in expecting a compelling story rather just all out action, then you won't be dissapointed.

9/10

Incredibles

Brillaint. How much imagination and creativity can these people fit into one movie? Loved it. It felt like a world, a genuine universe where these lives were taking place, rather than an excuse for an adventure or to have set pieces. Loads of stuff to savour, easily my favourite Pixar movie...

9.5/10

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter ...and Spring

I don't know if this has travelled around, or even if it's done much over here but I only heard of it because it I saw the director Ki-duk Kim on a documentary series on Asian cinema, and liked where he was coming from. It's a medatative look at a handfull of people's lives, centered around this small, one-roomed, floating Budhist temple. It takes place within the seasons of the title, among this small idylic, self contained lake, located amid some mountainous Korean ( I think) forests. The setting is really significant, as each story changes, we follow the seasons, and the effects of it on the nature around the temple. In particular the Winter segment, where the lake is frozen is breathtaking and has a winter training sequence that beats any rocky movie. A moving, enigmatic, compelling movie, with dozens of little moments, that you'll remember well after you watched it. I'd reccomend it if you like your movies with a little soul to them or were in the mood for something that is beautifull, lyrical and touching, without being overwrought or pretentious. It desn't overstay it's welcome either, it's crisply filmed, and it didn't feel like I was waiting for something to happen, it gentley, steadily pulled me along and if anything I wanted more from it after it finished. And watching the cheaply made extra's on the DVD too, made me fall in love with it all the more, just because it seems like it barely got made at all.

9/10

Dirty Pretty Things

A story of redemption, set amid the backwash of Londons underbelly. It;s about Okwe (Chiwetel Ejiofor) and Senay ( Audrey Tautou), two refugees trapped in poverty, with the trap of crime and corruption from his and past and her future hovering around around them waiting to take what ever freedom they cling too. For a low budget drama it's nicely filmed, and doesn't feel underserved by the production in any way. Ejiofor has been on a few TV things over here before, and it's easy to see why he was picked for the villain in Serenity, the man has an smart, affable charisma about him and as much as I was suprised in places by Tautou's performace, and could stare at her face for a lot longer than would be practicle, it was him really centered the film for me.

It has a thriller element that pulls the characters along, involving Okwe's boss beeing involved in the illeagal trading of human body parts. Okwe's medical training, and Senay's frustration and yearning to be free from working in hotels and sweatshops for dirty old men, to find her cousin in New York fuels a nice sense of foreboding, and a neat twist. Overall strong especially nice to see a British movie deal with the subject of refugees, crime and imagration without being heavy handed, putting character's and the choices they make over any clumsy political overtones. I really liked the cast, the guy who played the typically nuts Russain doorman, the boss of the hotel, the doctor friend of Okwe all give interesting moments. Worth watching if you fancy somethng a little offbeat, well made, and unique.

7.5/10
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:52 am

NEWSFLASH FUCKOS!!!

Flumm's a damn good film critic.

That is all.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:04 am

I'd agree if it weren't for my dislike of HOFD. The endless "twists", unrealistic and bizarrely developed relationships and "comedy" punch-up ending had me in a fit of boredom. Actually, I know I wasn't the only one amused by the final fight... the lady a few chairs down started giggling which set me off and in turn made it worse for both of us! Then a few others set off too! First and only time that's happened to me in a cinema.

That said, utterly beautiful imagery. The dancing at the beginning nearly had me in tears when I first saw it and its a shame the rest of the film lost that power for flimsy framework and clumsy dialogue.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:09 am

Wow Atomic you've been here for a short while and already you are going after Smallville and HOFD! Its odd to see someone with such radically different tastes as mine, because both of those things I love. But not to worry, I always respect the difference of opinion and you seem to have well articulated reasons for not liking HOFD. I would be interested in seeing what you do enjoy (to contrast that with my tastes). And also, what the heck you doing up at 5am?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:11 am

keepcoolbutcare wrote:NEWSFLASH FUCKOS!!!

That is all.

You may have stolen TITG's catchphrase, but gotta agree with ya.

I'd like to know when we are finally gonna get the kill bill ultimate edition. I liked the first one, loved the second. But, they were no Jackie Brown, come Tarantino, give us the full sherbert dibdab man.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby doglips on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:15 am

keepcoolbutcare wrote:NEWSFLASH FUCKOS!!!

That is all.

He is isn't he.

I watched The Brown Bunny ( Vincent Gallo ) last night. Great film, beautifully shot by Gallo himself, the opening tracking shot of a bike race is amazing. Probably one of the slowest and meandering road/love movies ever, with a jaw dropping last ten minutes. I'd recommend it if you like films where not much happens and then you get an enormous wake up call at the end - I love them, and loved this.
Last edited by doglips on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Flumm on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:48 am

I see what you're saying Atomic, and you're right, the end scene is melodramitic, but in the heightened reality thatt these people existed in, and that fact they were all variously consumed by love, it felt justified to me, you know? And there were several quiet underplayed moments that said just as much. Mei suddenly going cold on Jin (the younger guy) in the forest, or her subtle smile in the opening dance sequence, or the companion piece of that very moment later in the film. And I thought that after many moments of casual, elaborate voilence, that in teh final act we get acts of self sacrifice too. For all the kicks and punches, and flying daggers it was nothing less than a love story. In my honest opinion, I think there's more than enough to redeem it, if you look a little under the surface. But each to his own though, eh?

I'm seeing Hero soon aswell, so I'll be interested to see how they compare.

And in regards to KB monkey, I know what you mean. I delibrately didn't buy the DVD's because I waiting for a special edition, or for The Whole Bloody Affair to be announced just round the corner... I know I wouldn't be the only one who would go out of their way to see it in the cinema. I think it would be wicked cool to have TWBA as an annual summer event or something, for colleges and art house cinema's. Make it a right of passage for film goers. You just know it would work.

( oh and KC can newsflash me anytime he wants too)
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:56 am

I guess I can see how it would be interesting to see how the two volumes of Kill Bill would go together, whether or not certain scenes would be moved around and where they'd be moved around to, etc., but they probably are better as individual movies. I'm not basing that on a whole lot, but they both seem to strike very specific tones. Volume 1 seems angrier and kung fu-ier and Volume 2 seems more elegiac and spaghetti western-er. Err....

Anyway, that's not to say I wouldn't watch the Whole Bloody Affair; as stated, I'd be interested in seeing how the pieces fit together and how it plays as a whole.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:13 am

Leckomaniac wrote:What the heck you doing up at 5am?

I live in London. :D

I guess the longer I stay here, the more of my tastes will bubble to the surface. I think I'm the archtypical late-twenties film and games nerd, so I'm not going to be all that different from a lot of ya's!

@Flumm - I prefer Hero, mainly because it's a simpler film. Sure, it flimsily covers its underlying communist message, but what are films for other than to offer different opinons? Oh, and entertain... and... er... stuff. It's just one beautifully shot fight sequence after another and makes no qualms about it. It's got a humungously dumb deus ex machina in it though, but I'll leave you to find that out for yourself.

HOTD is called Lovers in Japan (and China, I think), but I didn't get all that great sense of it being a love story. It's more about betrayal of trust, and where love is concerned, trust is an important issue - love requires trust, so I didn't buy into any of the relationships. Coupled with the complete turnarounds of character throughout I lost interest really quickly - and I wanted to love it. Really, I did. Then it got all Vic and Bob on me at the end and the nail sealed the coffin.

@thedoglippedone - sod the film. Does Sevigny give good head? :lol:
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:16 am

Well I gave my opinions on 2 of these films, but I guess I'll do a review of them.

THE ISLAND
So ok, we know it ripped off an old obscure B-Movie called "The Clonus Horror" but the idea is a stellar one. What are the morals of cloning, do they have souls? Is it right to treat them like cattle? All interesting questions which, when mixed with your basic man on the run hook, would make for a fantastic existential action movie (and who doesn't want to see that?) However there is a slight problem here, Michael Bay. He just has no subtelty, no sense of how to tell a story or how make characters likable wihtout resorting to have them make wisecrack remarks or wear tight lycra.
He was the worst choice as director, if Spielberg had done this I can almost guarantee we would have had really great worthwhile summer action flick on our hands not a movie that makes me go "oh I wish they'd done so and so different" every 10 minutes.

A couple of the action scenes were very well handled but just so far from beliavable you end up scoffing at the screen. I know you are meant to suspend your disbelief in these types of movies but unless you are in the Matrix you can't fall 100ft inside a giant buliding logo and walk away unscathed. You can't be sitting in the back of a car when a truck smahses it in two and just get up and run off. Look at the really great action films like Die Hard or T2, the characters get battered yeh they get up and keep going but we feel the pain we see how they are being eroded and ground up but still keep going. That's infinitely better than making your leads, for all intents and purposes, indestructable. I want danger and tension from a movie please Mr Bay.
McGregor is just coasting he isn't even trying a little bit. Johanssen is actually worse then that as she gives a half hearted attempt to take this seriously. The script even manges to waste Sean bean as the bad guy, this is a man who can do egotistical bad guy better than anyone but Rickman or Hopper and he comes accross as an impotent douche, until the final scenes where the script demands he grow a pair for the sake of a final confrontation. This brings me to other problem with the script, Honsou's character having a total change of heart and agreeing to help the good guys. It's set up that this guy is a ruthless brilliant bounty hunter only interested in his payday, yet in the space of 3 scenes lasting about 30 seconds each we are meant to believe he will suddenly become a good person??? Please don't insult me like that. You could have the final confrontation, apparently essential nowadays, between McGregor and Honsou, that would at least have created some danger for McGregor he's got to fight a badass bounty hunter not some ineffectual Doctor.
I really did like some of it though, the whole cloning facilty was done well the mechanics of how they maintain the illusion for the clones was pretty cool and the production design in those segments was well thought out and nicely designed and Bay really can do chase scenes very well er but that's about all he can do.
I sound like a I hate it, but it kept me entertained aslong as I didn't think to much about it. It's just such a wasted opportunity though.

5.5/10

WOLF CREEK

Don't expect a horror film. It's a slice of realism; yes it has a vicious killer, but, and this is what I really liked about the film - vicious killers DO exist in real life and they don't obey the laws of horror films.
The first 40 minutes are pure character introduction, it works very very well. You honestly like the characters, you could be the characters. They are 3 dimensional living breathing people out for a good time before they go back to regular lives and worries.
The director has a good eye for the creepy, from palm trees swaying in the breeze to water dripping from a tap, he creates a sense of unease by focusing in tightly and using some nifty sound editing to emphasise just how fragile people are even when they feel young, immortal and unbeatable. Nature is heartless and unfeeling, never forget that.
What I found most interesting and ultimately the scariest thing about this non horror film is that the killer doesn't follow the convention you would expect. He's not crazy, he hasn't been through some trauma, he doesn't have a motive. And more importantly, he isn't a manifestation of heartless nature, he's human, he's a sadist. He enjoys not
inflicting pain, but what it does to his victims, whereas a psychopath doesnt care or can't care about them, for this guy the very fact he can empathise and sympathise with his prey is what he loves so much. That's fucking terrifying, man.
The bad parts are unfortunately pretty bad though. One of the girls makes two of the most stupidest decisions I have ever seen on film, or video or dvd or tape.

*big spoilers*

when she manages to shoot the guy in the neck iand knocking him out she just lightly hits him a few times on the back with the rifle butt. Damn it woman stove his fucking head in and gut the fucker like a fish!!!!
And then when she goes back to the warehouse after already escaping (not to clever anyway but that isn't even the bit I mean) she goes looking for a car to drive away and instead spends 10 minutes going through her back pack and watching home videos the guy has taken from his other victims, get a car and drive off YOU SILLY COW!!!!

*end spoiler*

The ending is somewhat abrupt, but again this fits perfectly with what the film is. Reality doesn't tie things up, no real resolution comes and we are left to ponder about this man and all his victims. It's uneasy and cruel just like real life.
8/10
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Flumm on Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:16 am

Ribbons wrote:I guess I can see how it would be interesting to see how the two volumes of Kill Bill would go together, whether or not certain scenes would be moved around and where they'd be moved around to, etc., but they probably are better as individual movies. I'm not basing that on a whole lot, but they both seem to strike very specific tones. Volume 1 seems angrier and kung fu-ier and Volume 2 seems more elegiac and spaghetti western-er. Err....

Anyway, that's not to say I wouldn't watch the Whole Bloody Affair; as stated, I'd be interested in seeing how the pieces fit together and how it plays as a whole.

You're right, my alchohol lactating friend, they do have their own thing going on. There's a reason why there is volume 1 and volume 2. I would still be eager to see it though, and from what I remember it got very positive views when it was shown around. It would be an experience if nothing else...

Caught anything interesting recently Ribbons? And by that I mean movies, and not err... an intimately placed , multicoloured rash or something like that.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:23 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:@thedoglippedone - sod the film. Does Sevigny give good head? :lol:

Well I was watching the movie wondering why it was 18 rated - it's extremely graphic if thats what you mean by good. The whole scene is very uncomfortable to watch as the plot is starting to come together and you get an inkling as to what Gallo's character is all about.

You should check it out, it's a good film.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:27 am

Well, had a good film marathon this weekend.

Zarthura - Really good fun kids Sci-fi Jumanji. Might even make you cry.

Seven Years in Tibet - Hmm, not terrible, a bit twee. Great to look at, David Thewlis and Brad Pitt make good leads, made me want to track down Kundun tho, anybody seen it?

Jarhead - Another war film, just like it says, all wars are different, so are all war films. Worth a compassionate watch tp understand all those vets out there and the shit they go through.

Wolf Creek - Scary, horrific shit. Head on a stick indeed... Kinda like the viewer paralysed to only watch. If you are in the mood for a texas chainsaw massacre, check it out its pretty good, I think Tonywilson summed it up best with his review when he mentioned its about random violence, pure and simple, a sad fact in this world I guess we shouldn't forget about in our nice civilisations. To add more to his review, its kinda like the meteor crash site, as a metaphor for cosmic random violence. With this and picnic at hanging rock, spiders and crocodiles, I dare you to go to Australia, although EricG seems to have survived ok.

Hostel - Hmmm, was surprised at some similarities this had with Wolfcreek. I watched them as a doublebill. Creek gets the edge, but Hostel has a more viewer friendly ending. Great location tho.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Brit Pop on Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:43 am

Watched Troy again last night - which is generally poor apart from the action and made me want to kill Orlando Bloom.

But the highlight of the weekend... Red Dawn was on TV! Never seen it before but it was really good - smacked of John Milius' right wing gun ideology but still fun to watch. The best part - he cast the guy who played Superfly as the lead Russian/Cuban bad guy - NOW THATS GOOD CASTING!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:02 am

Summer With Monika. Old Black and White Ingmar Bergman movie.

Loved this movie. Very simple, straightforward. Tale of 2 young lovers, Harry and Monika, in a Swedish town who escape their unhappy lives and embark on a Summer of Love adventure, cruising the canals and rivers of Sweden in their tiny boat, living in their own world and escaping life. Monika (Harriet Andersson) eventually becomes pregnant and marries her lover, Harry (Lars Ekborg). Then things turn nasty.

Whilst I loved the adventure that they went on, as it celebrates the best thing about being young - love, freedom, repsonsibility to only happiness, the wonder of innocence, I was possibly even more intruiged by the cold, damp and dark portrayal of their love affair gone wrong in the latter part of the film.

The scenes of their marriage being destroyed, taking place on early, cold and shadowy Monday mornings in the Winter, just as Harry has to leave town to go back to work, evoked the realistic atmosphere and emotional suffering and blackness that we all feel as we have to suffer and go through this poxy grief.

Needless to say the performances of the two actors are what really tell this story though.

Harriet Andersson - showing how someone could change from sweetness to a screaming monster, and really nailing home the scary reminder of how your lover can change so much, that she simply becomes not just a different and opposite person to who her young love was, when you first met her, but how much she seems to be a direct enemy of her original self, and how you want to run for protection, back to who she first was. Everyone talks about that particular scene near the end, where Harriet looks right at the audience in a massive Close Up, daring us all to look at her and judge her. It's quite scary.

Lars Ekborg you feel sorry for, he seems opposed by everyone and everything in the beginning, and the love affair shows his character to be a picked on soul, a small man, that is now escaping and hiding away into a place where he is finding warmth and comfort.

But when the final third of the story is carried out, it's as if you just see Harry slowly slowly folding over in pain until he collapses and can hardly breath as the worst pains of love creep up on him, and seem to make his heart seize up. He really experiences and witnesses things that make you think 'No, it can't be happening!'. The worst things that we dread and think up in our imaginations about being in love. There's a great scene where he simply falls to the ground in absolute shock when he sees Monika do something he never thought she would. Lars plays it exactly as it would, or has, happened to us in real life. The poor sucker really pays for all his happiness with Monika far more than he should have to.

All in all, I think it's about what happens, or how it feels that you always have to pay for the Summer of Love. Meaning - the 'summer' that the joy of Love brings. How the innocent, child'ness', bright eyed wonder of love and happiness, gives birth to something old, ugly, hateful and again, down well monstrous.

Not just that, but how all of this 'kills' and destroys all that is innocent. It feels like it's some old bastard drowning a pup. This feeling is shown right at the end where at night, Harry is leaving his town behind and has had to sell all his and Monika's belongings. He sees as a tiny teddy bear that (I think) he bought Monika, that she used to cuddle, has now been sold to an old man who drops in on the street as he walks off.

Also the film to me is about, rather than the old giving birth to the young, it shows how the Young gives birth to the Old really. What evil seed grows and what gives birth from Youth's womb.

I muttered to myself what a sad film it eventually was when it finally faded out at the end, even though there is an uplift the movie, ultimately. (There is a rebirth of being a child that comes with the ending). BUT - I didn't cry. I'm a MAN Hotdamnit! Not like all you wusses who cried like a baby in that Tearjerker thread last night. God, did I scoff at you lot. Was gonna post an attack there about every post made and what pathetic gentlemen you all were.

You should be ashmed of yourselves. And it also, prevents you from calling my review Dumbledore!
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:12 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
You should be ashmed of yourselves. And it also, prevents you from calling my review my lover!

Nice review there Kirk, I love the movie too. See "smiles on a summer night" for a nice Bergman whimsy, but if you are in the mood for some more harsh shit check out (if you haven't already) The Silence, Wild Strawberries (my all time top 10 film), Persona or if you are indeed hard enough... Cries and Whispers.

As for tearjerkers, damn you, you watch the opening of the muppet movie, it will make you cry as Kermit sings about rainbows. Watch it as a double bill, start with Wild strawberries then put on The Muppet Movie. A double bill made in heaven. You will weep like the baby mod killa you are!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Flumm on Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:33 am

That has to be one of your very best reviews Kirk. Beautifully, lucidy told. I'll make sure to add it to my list.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:36 am

well - with the whole moving - and spraining of ankle crap this weekend - i only had a chance to watch about 4 movies...

Domino -hmmmm... this movie gets alot of hate from alot but also has it's small group of supporters... i can kinda see both sides of it and agree with certain aspects of both sides...

Tony Scott's constant use of "Complete and Utter Dis-regard for the Audiences Well-Being" style does get a bit grating... weird - i thought Scott use to make beautiful looking films...? but you can kinda see what he was going for with it - it just sometimes felt like he was going for "I'm gonna throw every possible 'cool thing' against the wall and hopefully a bunch of it sticks and then call it An Oliver Stone Directed Film called U-Turn..."
it just seems to end up being too much... but it still does have a bit of fun grittiness to it...

The performances - on a whole - where actually quite enjoyable and spot-on...
Mickey Rourke has been nothing short of brilliant pretty much since his 2nd comeback (his 1st comeback - from my recollection was when he first returned to movies from boxing and starred in "Double Team" with Van Damme and Rodman....mmmmmm good times)... and even though i thought he was criminally underused in Once Upon a Time in Mexico - everything since has just completely enthralled me. Rourke just PWNS every split second shot that he's in...and you totally buy into him as the character....

Edgar Ramiriez as Choco oozed charisma and coolness - and he just very well may have been my favorite character in the film...his motor mouth spanish - and his mostly slow-purposely broken english had me cracking up - and you could see the silent violence and pain hidden beneath his eyes...

Keira Knightley - i didn't really have a problem with her - the fact that the REAL Domino Harvey was a spoiled rich-girl model - makes Keira a fine fit - she played tough for tough's sake - and you could tell she was having a good time...

Christopher Walken - was hilarious - and good to see him chew it up in something other than a family comedy right now - but correct me if i'm wrong - where the hell was his nunchuk line from the trailer....? :? ?

this is starting to ramble - so - i will cut it short -

The Supporting Cast: like i mentioned - i didn't really have a problem with the performances in the film - even the 90210 guys - they did their thing - were a bit of comedic relief - and it's always nice to see washed-up "famous people" able to still poke fun at their personas... Ian Ziering autograph signing session was actual quite funny:

Some Young Female Fan to Ian Ziering wrote:My friend [insert name here] thought you were dead

Ian Ziering to Some Young Female Fan wrote: <chuckles> Tell your friend [insert name here] that she's a whore

but all in all - the biggest complaint would have to be with Tony Scott - now - don't get me wrong - i've enjoyed alot of Tony Scott's stuff - Top Gun, Crimson Tide, True Romance, Some of Enemy of the State, some of Beverly Hills Cop 2, and so on and so forth - hell - he "re-defined" the summer blockbuster to an extent with Top Gun (even though i'm sure Bruckheimer and Simpson had alot to do with that) - i mean yeah - Star Wars and Jaws "invented" the summer blockbuster - but Top gun - with it's pretty looks - cool shots - fast action - loud music - louder f/x and mostly mindless popcorn fun - for good - or for bad, just like today... and you can see alot of that in Domino - the soundtrack - which i still firmly believe would be annoying and not really enjoyable in a normal everyday setting - it seemed to fit the film perfectly... i guess i'm still from the school that enjoys watching a shot last for longer than i count to 1 - is a little more enjoyable - and easy on your senses...

7 out of 10...

MIRRORMASK
i enjoyed this film quite a bit - and no - the f/x aren't "great" but they work for the film - nothing in this dream world is supposed to look photo-real - so it doesn't really deter too much...

the story was well enough built and paced to keep you interested - even if you could pretty much figure out all the basics...

Stephanie Leonidas: what to say - i thought she was brilliant and i couldn't take my eyes off her - i was thinking - this is one of the best "young persons" performances in one of these family fantasy's that i've ever seen... then i found out she was born in '84 - and was about 19 when filming took place - so she had a bit of "age" on her - but she had a reckonizabilty to her - one of those actresses you see and you feel like you've seen them in a bunch of stuff - or that the face is just so "familiar" even though it's the first thing you've watched of hers...
It was completely her movie and she ran awya with it and made it all worthwhile - great performance...

David McKean's directing - i had no problems with it - i was worried going in (not seeing either of his short films) that he would be mostly a CG director - that any and all live-action stuff would be poorly/lazily done so as to get to the CG - but he should a unique style and good eye for framing - and i actually enjoyed the real world/live action stuff quite a bit...

good for familes - you shouldn't really find it offensive for your kids "innocent" little minds - but you also probably won't find it offensive to your "intelligence" either...

8.5 out of 10

Seven Times Lucky - a little con-artist noir-like thriller from here in the Winnipeg - made by localler G.B. Yates - and starring Kevin Pollack, Liane Balaban, and Jonas Chernick... now Pollock has said in interviews that he hadn't felt "this way" about a script since he read "The Usual Suspects" - i enjoyed it - not just cause it was made locally by some of our peeps up here - but also because it was made locally by some of our peeps up here and not sucking and be a pile of self-pretentious experimental in-coherent dreck that our industry up here seems to be drenched with... it was tightly plotted - and had a good pace - i think it's only about an hour and 25 minuted or so - kevin pollack is better here than i've seen him for awhile - and it's nice to see him able to play an interesting character that carries the entire film - jonas chernick is mad hyper-active and fun as Sonny - a uselessly un-talented, but fast-talking con artist named Sonny....

and Balbaban is the "glue" that is supposed to hold and bridge everything together... she's adequate - in a fairly quiet - but strong and controlling portrayal - she just doesn't really jump off the screen and kick me in the throat (in a good way) like a couple of the others...

i'd recommend it to anybody looking for a quick, fun, a little twisty, and fairly enjoyable and satisfying type-film...

Bill Cosby:Himself - this was just fucking hilarious - i was a little under the influence of some herbal pain killers so maybe i can't give an "accurate" interpretation - but i really liked it - i'd never seen this before - i was blown away at how much Cosby just grabs hold of you and demands you to watch - almost daring you to look away or not pay attention - he's larger than life up there - and the fact that he always just had a randomly changing solid color background - there were not really any distractions... to hear him regale you about the true nature of going to the dentist office - brilliant - and i kept thinking how much i'd love to see Bill do a small cameo or supporting roll in some throw-back 70's exploitation flick - but with some digital altering to make him look and dress and even act like he did back in those stand-up days - dude was pimpin it - like no one really could do like he could...

9/10

i think that covers it - not sure if there will be more watching next weekend - but i might try and catch Ultraviolet - either way - talk to y'all soon...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:42 am

havocSchultz wrote:well - with the whole moving - and spraining of ankle crap this weekend - i only had a chance to watch about 4 movies...

Domino -hmmmm... this movie gets alot of hate from alot but also has it's small group of supporters... i can kinda see both sides of it and agree with certain aspects of both sides...

Tony Scott's constant use of "Complete and Utter Dis-regard for the Audiences Well-Being" style does get a bit grating... weird - i thought Scott use to make beautiful looking films...? but you can kinda see what he was going for with it - it just sometimes felt like he was going for "I'm gonna throw every possible 'cool thing' against the wall and hopefully a bunch of it sticks and then call it An Oliver Stone Directed Film called U-Turn..."
it just seems to end up being too much... but it still does have a bit of fun grittiness to it...

The performances - on a whole - where actually quite enjoyable and spot-on...
Mickey Rourke has been nothing short of brilliant pretty much since his 2nd comeback (his 1st comeback - from my recollection was when he first returned to movies from boxing and starred in "Double Team" with Van Damme and Rodman....mmmmmm good times)... and even though i thought he was criminally underused in Once Upon a Time in Mexico - everything since has just completely enthralled me. Rourke just PWNS every split second shot that he's in...and you totally buy into him as the character....

Edgar Ramiriez as Choco oozed charisma and coolness - and he just very well may have been my favorite character in the film...his motor mouth spanish - and his mostly slow-purposely broken english had me cracking up - and you could see the silent violence and pain hidden beneath his eyes...

Keira Knightley - i didn't really have a problem with her - the fact that the REAL Domino Harvey was a spoiled rich-girl model - makes Keira a fine fit - she played tough for tough's sake - and you could tell she was having a good time...

Christopher Walken - was hilarious - and good to see him chew it up in something other than a family comedy right now - but correct me if i'm wrong - where the hell was his nunchuk line from the trailer....? :? ?

this is starting to ramble - so - i will cut it short -

The Supporting Cast: like i mentioned - i didn't really have a problem with the performances in the film - even the 90210 guys - they did their thing - were a bit of comedic relief - and it's always nice to see washed-up "famous people" able to still poke fun at their personas... Ian Ziering autograph signing session was actual quite funny:

Some Young Female Fan to Ian Ziering wrote:My friend [insert name here] thought you were dead

Ian Ziering to Some Young Female Fan wrote: <chuckles> Tell your friend [insert name here] that she's a whore

but all in all - the biggest complaint would have to be with Tony Scott - now - don't get me wrong - i've enjoyed alot of Tony Scott's stuff - Top Gun, Crimson Tide, True Romance, Some of Enemy of the State, some of Beverly Hills Cop 2, and so on and so forth - hell - he "re-defined" the summer blockbuster to an extent with Top Gun (even though i'm sure Bruckheimer and Simpson had alot to do with that) - i mean yeah - Star Wars and Jaws "invented" the summer blockbuster - but Top gun - with it's pretty looks - cool shots - fast action - loud music - louder f/x and mostly mindless popcorn fun - for good - or for bad, just like today... and you can see alot of that in Domino - the soundtrack - which i still firmly believe would be annoying and not really enjoyable in a normal everyday setting - it seemed to fit the film perfectly... i guess i'm still from the school that enjoys watching a shot last for longer than i count to 1 - is a little more enjoyable - and easy on your senses...

7 out of 10...

MIRRORMASK
i enjoyed this film quite a bit - and no - the f/x aren't "great" but they work for the film - nothing in this dream world is supposed to look photo-real - so it doesn't really deter too much...

the story was well enough built and paced to keep you interested - even if you could pretty much figure out all the basics...

Stephanie Leonidas: what to say - i thought she was brilliant and i couldn't take my eyes off her - i was thinking - this is one of the best "young persons" performances in one of these family fantasy's that i've ever seen... then i found out she was born in '84 - and was about 19 when filming took place - so she had a bit of "age" on her - but she had a reckonizabilty to her - one of those actresses you see and you feel like you've seen them in a bunch of stuff - or that the face is just so "familiar" even though it's the first thing you've watched of hers...
It was completely her movie and she ran awya with it and made it all worthwhile - great performance...

David McKean's directing - i had no problems with it - i was worried going in (not seeing either of his short films) that he would be mostly a CG director - that any and all live-action stuff would be poorly/lazily done so as to get to the CG - but he should a unique style and good eye for framing - and i actually enjoyed the real world/live action stuff quite a bit...

good for familes - you shouldn't really find it offensive for your kids "innocent" little minds - but you also probably won't find it offensive to your "intelligence" either...

8.5 out of 10

Seven Times Lucky - a little con-artist noir-like thriller from here in the Winnipeg - made by localler G.B. Yates - and starring Kevin Pollack, Liane Balaban, and Jonas Chernick... now Pollock has said in interviews that he hadn't felt "this way" about a script since he read "The Usual Suspects" - i enjoyed it - not just cause it was made locally by some of our peeps up here - but also because it was made locally by some of our peeps up here and not sucking and be a pile of self-pretentious experimental in-coherent dreck that our industry up here seems to be drenched with... it was tightly plotted - and had a good pace - i think it's only about an hour and 25 minuted or so - kevin pollack is better here than i've seen him for awhile - and it's nice to see him able to play an interesting character that carries the entire film - jonas chernick is mad hyper-active and fun as Sonny - a uselessly un-talented, but fast-talking con artist named Sonny....

and Balbaban is the "glue" that is supposed to hold and bridge everything together... she's adequate - in a fairly quiet - but strong and controlling portrayal - she just doesn't really jump off the screen and kick me in the throat (in a good way) like a couple of the others...

i'd recommend it to anybody looking for a quick, fun, a little twisty, and fairly enjoyable and satisfying type-film...

Bill Cosby:Himself - this was just fucking hilarious - i was a little under the influence of some herbal pain killers so maybe i can't give an "accurate" interpretation - but i really liked it - i'd never seen this before - i was blown away at how much Cosby just grabs hold of you and demands you to watch - almost daring you to look away or not pay attention - he's larger than life up there - and the fact that he always just had a randomly changing solid color background - there were not really any distractions... to hear him regale you about the true nature of going to the dentist office - brilliant - and i kept thinking how much i'd love to see Bill do a small cameo or supporting roll in some throw-back 70's exploitation flick - but with some digital altering to make him look and dress and even act like he did back in those stand-up days - dude was pimpin it - like no one really could do like he could...

9/10

i think that covers it - not sure if there will be more watching next weekend - but i might try and catch Ultraviolet - either way - talk to y'all soon...

Holy crap! I think that's the longest post that you ever wrote. And it didn't even contain a -LASH!! in it. Toshiro has made you a man...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:44 am

thomasgaffney wrote:
Holy crap! I think that's the longest post that you ever wrote. And it didn't even contain a -LASH!! in it. Toshiro has made you a man...

well - i said in my Toshiro post - that i have to write at least something of substance...

hahahahha.... SUBSTANCEILASH.... :wink:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:47 am

havocSchultz wrote:well - i said in my Toshiro post - that i have to write at least something of substance...

Yeah, but like most of your other posts, I just skimmed through it without reading it. :lol:
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:48 am

Likewise Flumm, and thanks MagicMonkey - for er, EVERYTHING!!!

Who else saw Chopper last night on BBC2?

I dunno much about his cult hero status in Oz and what really made him so exceptional to make a movie about from any other killer out there, and I still would like to have seen more of the story that had him working for the Police or whatever it was that he was doing, but whilst I still think it's a sick and vile film, only by it's appearence and not, hopefully, by the attitudes of the film makers, I still find it a highly enjoyable film. Hate to admit it, but very funny in fact.

I guess the director, researchers, writers and actors are only being truthful to how the events and characters were played out in the tone the movie came across and the guy at teh end of the day is still a fucking gentleman, beneath all his hardship and charm, so it's not as though he's been overhumanised.

When I first saw it I still thought it was as good a film as I do now but found it a more ugly experience to sit through, and obviously I find it more accessible on my 2nd view, knowing who Eric Bana is etc. Bit like Raging Bull in a way. I hated it when I first saw it. Nasty, nasty, vicious film, but that's the reason why I love it now. It did what it had to do.

Apparently the real Chopper wanted Eric Bana to play him, so you can't get more approval there, for having the actor do an accurate job on portraying the guy. Nowadays it goes without saying how brilliant Bana is through and through, and gives what has to be a completely thorough and uncompromising 'living' of Chopper up there on the screen. He still is a ghastly person to watch and an absolute nightmare to be standing in the same room as, and taking comfort in the fact that it is Eric Bana from Troy or The Hulk, thankfully doesn't provide too much comfort and distraction from this horrid bloke you're seeing on TV. You know, he's that much of monster still.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:49 am

thomasgaffney wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:well - i said in my Toshiro post - that i have to write at least something of substance...

Yeah, but like most of your other posts, I just skimmed through it without reading it. :lol:

B4NN3D!!!

:wink:

skim that bitch!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:08 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Chopper last night on BBC2?

Nope, I have a postcard for the film tho. Will have to track it down, perhaps have a double bill with it and the Hulk.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:35 am

Chopper is fanfuckingtastic, absolutely hilarious, I can't believe how many people have let it slip them by.

You must get it on DVD (which sells in the UK for about £4) and make sure you watch the Weekend With Chopper featurette which was Bana and the Director meeting Mark Chopper Read in his house, listening to him telling some stories, some of which made it into the film. There is also a brilliant deleted scene with Chopper and his Dad which I wish they kept in, one of my favourite moments in the whole thing.

Brutal and Violent yet brilliant and fresh at the same time.

Kirk you say you wanted to see more of his work for the police? That was all in his head buddy, he thought he was exempt from punishment because he was the top man in prison so he went around stealing drugs from dealers and fucking them up, not just Neville (fucking) Bartos, he thought he was doing the Cops a favor and because they didn't have proof to finger him directly (because everyone he robbed and fucked over was too scared to prosecute, plus they'd being turning themselves in for drugs) they couldn't arrest him and he continued doing it thinking they were letting him get away with it.

The Assasination of Jesse James is from the same Director who's not done anything since Chopper, I think it's going to be one to watch out for.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:14 pm

Just finished watching the superb Wallace and Gromit; Curse Of The Wererabbit. For some reason I didn't see this nor Corpse Bride in the cinema (which I really liked), but that's probably because I don't go to the cinema all that often. Er... anyhow, superb stuff! Funny and touching with humour that doesn't delve into obvious jokes, but riffs very, very gently on modern and old cultural icons without it getting in the way of standing on its own two feet.

Too much animation these days feels referential or "snappy"... in fact, I'll weep if any more "snappy" animations come out anytime soon. I'm crying now, actually, having witnessed that Hedge trailer before the main film and that Wild thing Disney are putting out.

Could animation be any more banal? Thanks be for the Japanese and Aardman! And Pixar. And the Belgians. OK, animation's fine. But this overabundance of CG which relies on SNL style referential jokes and big names is starting to grate!

... ANYHOW...

Wallace and Gromit. Cracking movie, watch it. It'll even make you cry, and the rabbits are cute! Plus the music is catchy. Oh, and the animation is stunning and makes you wonder why every single movie HAS to be done in CG nowadays, because it's even more remarkable when you think of it being hand crafted...

... and it's good. Really good. The plot, I mean. It flows along like ripe gorgonzola, and the acting is SUPERB on Gromit. He never says anything, but they've really given him a wide range of totally exhausted looking poses! Poor mutt.

Go see!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:18 pm

I have it at home right now. That and Layer Cake. I am going to watch them tonight. Glad to hear it is so good.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 pm

This might very well be the best film of last year. Or one of the best. In many ways. It just feels so flawless, not ony technically, but entertainment wise. It's as funny, suspenseful, endearing and exciting as it should be. Heh, even the script seems perfectly written, and I nearly always find probems in this department.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:26 pm

Well now I can not wait to get home.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:28 pm

Layer Cake or Were Rabbit?

I thought Layer Cake was aces.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:38 am

Jules Et Jim.

You know what I really fucking hate before I watch a movie? All that overhype and overmasurbatory critical love that you read about how this film is the mostest this of all time, bestest this of all time in the history of movies EVER!!!! Blah blah blah!!!!

I got Jules Et Jim out, 'cos I hear a 'little' bit that it was a great film. I liked the story, it sounded uplifting and romantic (don't make me Dumbledore though, I know Banthafodder is reading this somewhere that gentleman!). I was unfortunate to read some critic write that it was one of the most beautiful films ever. Whatbloodyever, I'll make my own fucking mind up Fuck you very much. I am beginning to resent such posts. It ruins the movie and gets your expectations up to impossible levels.

Anyway, I wanna be quick. I'm on the wrong kind of roll.

It's not one of the most beautiful films ever. Then again, what film is?Dunno why they said that. I read that quote by accident and I tried to ignore it, and I did.

But, I do really like the film. I enjoy the film's optimism thoroughly. It fills you with brightness, there's a lot of joy in the movie.

On minor notes, I was swept away by the countryside locations, the sweeping camera flying over the country home and the fields and forrests surrounding it. The misty settings on the country as the characters walked through it. Not just beautiful, but such warm 'spookiness' to it, (also being shot in black and white adding to this) just made you really feel that you ahd escaped off into a different world, which is the point as it's definitely where these characters were, living in some odd existence that no one else in their right minds would have thought possible. More on that in a moment.

Jeanne Moreau's song is something that I played back time and time again. It's like it is everything that you always loved or wanted to love about the French. The elegance, the beauty, how her singing lifts you off into another existence again. I thanked God when Francois Trauffeut stopped the subtitles, and just let her get on with the song, continuing it to just the right moment. I had no idea if she was repeating her words or adding more, I frankly didn't want to care, just wanted to sit there enjoying the mystery, just watching her sing, not thinking anything, just being taken away by it.

Next, humour. Not just great bits of humour but that they all stood for such unadulterated optimicism again. Bits like when Jeanne Moreau slaps Jules and it looks like they could kick off and have a row, but they all start laughing. Catherine, (her character) says that her face was always frowning before she met them, now she always laughs, then she acts out and mocks her 'before and after' expressions, and the camera kept freezing on her as she does this.

What most importantly works though, and I really wanna be quick here, as I'll be all day otherwise, is the relationship between Jules, Jim and Catherine. Jules and Jim are inseperable, closest, best of best friends and even with them both in love with Catherine, they're never fighting over. In fact, if one can't be with her, he WANTS the other one to take his place. Any jealousy there, is subtly hinted at only, nothing more.

It's that relationship, about how they all remain with love for each other when it's all happening, how it's the heaven that people always seek from each other that really is the joy that this film is about. To me, it just feels like it would be the wrong thing to do normally, it defes logic, but the friendship that is on display here and how pure and unquestionable it seems to always be, - how it overrides all problems that would occour, or maybe that it would cause - just shows you how right these people are, in who they are, in what they do.

If my mate was shagging my wife, even after I was, I'd KILL the gentleman. Here a certain kind of harmony is maintained. I dunno how they do it, I am constantly examining it in the film, trying to work it out, which maybe is the film's point, as well as showing you how things can be.

I'm a fairly shallow person I think sometimes, and maybe there's not so much in the film that needs to be thought through, but I just found it to be such an uplifting enigma. A certain kind of perfection in love and friendship, even if it all does go wrong. And even then, it doesn't seem to care.

The Hairdresser's Husband was a bit like this, about a perfect love between husband and wife, even if the ramification and sufferings of that perfection actually destroyed that Heaven on Earth that they had. Similar thing with this film too - though Catherine here is a cause for everyone's grief, as well as the pleasure - and Jules Et Jim still ends as happy as it can be, not seeming to condemn anything that has made everything end up badly.

Anyway, the film's lighthearted throughout, and deep, in a hard to work out way. I was gutted a few times when they were things said in conversation that I couldn't understand straight away. The character's use of language seemed to be on a different plateau than me - damnit! Fast moving subtitles which seem to be on screen 90% throughout, at the same time, helps/doesn't help matters. I was gonna see this for a full second viewing, but didn't get round to it.

It's a unique film. It celebrates some of the best things about life and people. Most importantly it's so anti dark, especially given it's love triangle and what it could lead to, and a reminder that there should always be happiness found in anything, no matter how bad they may be, and that happiness should never be wrong.

EDIT. What did I do here? 16 bloody Paragraphs!??!? Of Bullshit?! Fucking 'ell!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:03 am

me and the girlfriend have been making our way throught all the Red Dwarf series lately and last night we finished Series 4. This show still hasn't faded in its comedy impact after ten plus years, I was laughing as hard as I was when I first saw it all that time ago.

Series 3 and 4 are notably some of the best there is to see out of all, the introduction of Kryton was a great new dimension to add to the situation of poor old Lister, Rimmer and Cat. And he fits in perfectly in these series especially as he is now played by Robert Llewellyn.

Just browsing the Ep list for both series trying to pick favourites, but its just too hard, they're all so classic:

Series 3

Backwards
Marooned
Polymorph
Bodyswap
Timeslides
The Last Day

Series 4

Camille
DNA
Justice
White Hole
Dimension Jump
Meltdown

This is the best Sci-Fi Comedy series ever and although the latter series seemed not to live up to their predocesors (7 to a point and especially 8, which I could barely watch and was genuinley upset by what I was seeing) and I urge you peeps to get hold of them again and re-visit the Red Dwarf Posse

Gonna start series 5 tonight, havent seen this lot of episodes for the longest amount of time out of all of them so it should be good to reminise.

SMEG HEADS!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:05 am

I just looked a

Just looked a what Lugz? A right gentleman?

Oh, you edited.

Now, I look a right gentleman!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Hustled by the Lugz again!! You knew exactly what you were doing didn't you?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:08 am

GOT YA!!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:26 am

Does anyone wanna chime in and talk about the underrated brilliance that is Just Shoot Me, just finished on C4? The brilliant lines that they keep coming out with on that show completely defeats me. How cool is George Segal? How ignored is Dana Carvey in movies these days? What a brilliant find is that brunette MILF that rivals a suprising Laura San Giacomo?

LOL razor sharp and witty. Much better than that freaking Will & Grace that follows it right now.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Seppuku on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:32 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Does anyone wanna chime in and talk about the underrated brilliance that is Just Shoot Me, just finished on C4? The brilliant lines that they keep coming out with on that show completely defeats me. How cool is George Segal? How ignored is Dana Carvey in movies these days? What a brilliant find is that brunette MILF that rivals a suprising Laura San Giacomo?

LOL razor sharp and witty. Much better than that freaking Will & Grace that follows it right now.

Bang on mate, and it's sad that it got cancelled a few years back. My personal favourite character is Mia, who's more gorgeous in my eyes than any of the models who work for the magazine. And I guess it's pretty easy for a person to fucking loathe David Spade with the passion of a thousand fiery suns, but you know I think he's just swell :) . Definitely one step up from the run of the mill Will&Grace style sitcom.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:52 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote: How ignored is Dana Carvey in movies these days? .

That aint Dana Carvey dude, it's David Spade, did the voice of Kuzco, in The Emporers New Grove
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:58 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Errrrrrrrr, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... OH OH!!!! SO JL'S BEEN TELLING YOU HOW TO HACK INTO MY POSTS AND EDIT THE WHAT I WRITE, AND THEN CORRECT ME IN YOUR POST THEREFORE MAKING ME LOOK LIKE A RIGHT CUMBRAIN RIGHT?!!??!?!??!!??!?!?!!?

You're always HUSTLING me man!!!!!!

And you, seppukudkurosawa, you're the fool here. You didn't point out the 'mistake' so called, that Lugz just invented.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:02 am

colonel_lugz wrote:

That aint Dana Carvey dude, it's David Spade, did the voice of Kuzco, in The Emporers New Grove

Sigh.

Well there goes my job writing for the Arts Review section of the New York Times then.

They'll probably take me over at AICN, or CHUD now. Sigh.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Seppuku on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:03 am

:lol: I just take it as a given that you talk a load of bollocks. 8) I didn't know you meant Spade when you said Carvey, I honestly had no idea what you were talking about... I just figured maybe he guested once as Garth in that one episode I happened to miss.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:07 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote::lol: I just take it as a given that you talk a load of bollocks. 8) I didn't know you meant Spade when you said Carvey, I honestly had no idea what you were talking about... I just figured maybe he guested once as Garth in that one episode I happened to miss.

Er..........YEAH!!! That was what I was talking about, that episode, you know, the bit where George Segal did that er, thing!! Yeah! That's what I meant.

You Putz Lugz. HAH!! Trying to make me look stupid, but it backfired didn't it? Putz, Lugz, er, heh, maybe you should change your name, from Colonel Lugz, to, Colonel Putz, eh everybody, yeah, that way.....'BOOF!!! BOOF!! BAM!! BAM!!!'. Ah Putz, I mean Lugz, stop beating me will ya?!?! Get off!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:09 am

colonel_lugz wrote:

Well, it's Emporer's New Groove man, not Emporers. Y'see there's an apostrophe there Mister, Mister.... Apostrophe Catostrophe!

Also I didn't go out there and tell everyone when you told JL that Heath Ledger was in Green Street either, did I! Huh?!!?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray