What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Betamax and beyond

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:11 am

IPUTZILASH!

I wasn't trying to make you look foolish, but just so easy :wink:
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:12 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote: How ignored is Dana Carvey in movies these days? .

That aint Dana Carvey dude, it's David Spade, did the voice of Kuzco, in The Emporers New Grove

Well, it's Emporer's New Groove man, not Emporers. Y'see there's an apostrophe there Mister, Mister.... Apostrophe Catostrophe!

Also I didn't go out there and tell everyone when you told JL that Heath Ledger was in Green Street either, did I! Huh?!!?

I never said that, did I?
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:13 am

My one word review of Secretary -

Spanking.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:18 am

colonel_lugz wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote: How ignored is Dana Carvey in movies these days? .

That aint Dana Carvey dude, it's David Spade, did the voice of Kuzco, in The Emporers New Grove

Well, it's Emporer's New Groove man, not Emporers. Y'see there's an apostrophe there Mister, Mister.... Apostrophe Catostrophe!

Also I didn't go out there and tell everyone when you told JL that Heath Ledger was in Green Street either, did I! Huh?!!?

I never said that, did I?

Errrrr, errrrrrrrrrrrrr................

Oh now I've really done it! Oh, I'm buggering off for another fortnight!!!!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:19 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:My one word review of Secretary -

Spanking.

Tell me more man. I'm thinking of renting this. I like Maggie Gylenhall.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:42 am

Well, I was kinda of half-watching it as I worked so I didn't give it my full attention. But I'm going to watch it more again as I bought it on the cheap over here in the UK during the sales.

It's a really gentle film of two people who fall in love in the most unorthodox manner. Maggie Gyllenhal plays a sweet girl released from a mental hospital after she self-mutilated herself a little too deeply. She gets taken back to her parents house, her family life being rather depressing with an alcoholic dad to contend with, and works to become a secretary and find some independence.

She's missing something, though. She doesn't realise it, but she's missing something... and she finds that when she meets James Spaders lawyer. I think it's his best performance I've seen, but then I've not seen Sex, Lies and Videotape. A complete and utter mess of a man, he can barely string sentences together and comes across as both sweet and controlling.

Naturally, Maggies nature is the opposite - submissive - and as they work together the tension rises as his demands become crazier and she accepts his punishments. What is great about the film is that its very obvious these two care more about eachother above their obvious sexual chemistry, and although the s&m gets a bit crazy (without going ott) their developing need for eachother affects the film with a layer of sweetness.

... and the ending is great. :D I won't give it away, but the last quarter is a brilliant standoff and the final shot seems to be telling the viewer something, but I can't place my finger on it.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:26 am

I am watching Buffy Season 4 on dvd. Only a few more episodes until HUSH!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

It's All Good

Postby tstreet on Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:56 am

Gotta check out Hustle and Flow, I saw it in the theatre and bought it as soon as it came out.

I would also suggest renting Junebug and Thumbsucker. Both really good character driven movies.

T
WHERE I BEGIN - Coming 2011

Check out the Movies Teaser Trailer

http://www.vimeo.com/14518699

Also Check Out The Movies Official Website:

http://www.whereibeginmovie.com
tstreet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:42 am

The Virgin Spring

Ingmar Bergman's 1960 movie set in the Medieval Forest of Sweden, 14th Century, about how a daughter of a God worshipping family is raped and murdered on her way to Church, only for her Killers to seek shelter that night from her family, giving the Father (Max Von Sydow) an opportunity for revenge, but ultimately plunging his view of God into peril.

Well this film is so relievingly easy to watch, so simple, straightforward, and very very tight. Full of great symbolism and imagery.

This is a solid piece of work. Very haunting, dark, and sombre. There's a great sense of doom throughout the film. After the daughter is murdered and her killers arrive at the family's home, you feel God darkly looming above everyone, you're never sure what his intentions are in what he'll do to everybody, how everyone's fate will be determined. Will Max Von Sydow take revenge? Will God allow it? Will he punish him for it?

The film is full of religious dialogue and symbolic lines about God, brilliantly written and spoken throughout. But when confronted with the idea of Revenge, that's when the whole nature of God is really thrown into question, torment and fear. Sydow and his wife, Birgitta Valberg really go through Hell, not just in their daughter's grief, but as they really wonder if their God really exists for them at all. Their performances are brutal, full of heavy meloncholy.

The final scene at the end, which will stay with everyone for as long as possible... well no one will really figure out this actual ending until they get to Heaven itself, as for me, it just throws your belief in God into complete disarray. Did God allow, or grant all of this bloodshed? Is he punishing the characters for it? Is he approving vengeance to be justice? Is he admitting his faults? Is he displaying arrogance, how much of him is perfect, Good or even Evil?

Everything in the last scene comes to an overbearing, and totally unbearable head. The pain and suffering is just far too much for the parents to suffer. Their breakdown, though slightly restrained, is very bare. Sydow's collapse especially, as it is here that his agony comes out at last and he finally confronts God.

But that final image that comes out at the very end, you'll forget to breath. Shocking, full of magnificence, genuinely overwhelming. I can't use the word I want to, to truly describe it, as I don't wanna give anything away, but 'Oh God!!!'

The film could and should have indulged deeper into the emotions of the events and the story, there could be a lot more dramatic devastation to the viewer watching it, and even Bergman admitted similar things about The Virgin Spring around the time it won Best Foreign Film Oscar, I believe.

Sometimes it's being too restrained and dramatically economical. It still had a terribly strong impact on me, and I really do have to put in a special mention to the bit where reality finally hits the daughter (Birgitta Pettersson) that these 'friendly' strangers are actually gonna rape and attack her. I yelled "Oh no!!!" like a girl, to her terrified reaction, as this tiny moment genuinely hit me. Anyway, the movie IS very sad, shocking, moving, and also scary, but really there's important moments or scenes when it holds back too much when it should have gone all out for the emotional kill, that would have made the film leap out and shoot right through your heart and completely knock you out.

But this doesn't stop it from being categorised as 'powerful', which it is, very. The great thing about it, is that it's also very easy to watch, which is unusual. Maybe that's the advantage that the direction gives to the film. I would say it's very accessible, but I hope I'm not copying the words that I read a critic write about it, where he said that it's Ingmar Bergman's most 'accessible' film. Yeah whatever, I know I would definitely get my mum to watch this, it might mess her up a little, but I know she'd enjoy it and find it extremely rewarding. It's a film you could relishly watch and experience. I still wanna see it, at least twice again, and I think it's gonna be a memorable film for me.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:18 am

My, my Kirk,, you really are on a Bergman tip. I tracked down Tombs of the Blind dead, a film Moriarty banged on about around Halloween. Its set in Portugal and is about zombie Templars coming to life. Was not a good film. Worth a watch if you are a hammer horror fan, but I didn't think it was anything remarkable. I still have Return of the Blind daed to watch later, which is meant to be better. Will let you know.

The House of Laughing Windows. Italian horror fare from Pupi Avati. A guy goes to an isolated Italian village in the 1950's to restore a fresco in a church. There is something sinister however at work, and as our art historian restores the picture he discovers that this town has dark secrets. I was looking forward to watching this and was impressed with what I got. Its your standard Italian horror/giallo, but it packs a satisfying punch and possesses a fantastic atmosphere. One to definately watch late at night.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:12 pm

Thought I'd repost this or it'd sink like a stone. Besides, it's better off here than in a seperate thread... the more people who see it the better!

The Great Yokai Spirit War - Region 3 DVD review

First things first, I was expecting an average amaray DVD case, but it's one of those posh card fold-out thingies. High-quality print, too, with images from the film and the various Yokai found on the inside of the interior folder. I'm not au fait on case names, but this style seems to be getting more popular of late for special editions and it was nice to see the R3 Yokai release wasn't an exception.

The 2 discs contain the feature on one, with some rudimentary special features, and a second disc with two short films, a documentary, promotional interviews with the cast and crew plus... English subtitles! It's great when a foreign release goes all out like this, as the Japanese edition didn't cater for English speakers whatsoever. Well, why should they? But its quite rare for the special features to get any attention.

The film itself is much better than I anticipated. A real throwback to the 1980's - Legend, Labyrinth, Krull, Dark Crystal et al - in the sense that the effects aren't 100% amazing but they do the job at pulling you into a bizarre fantasy world. They're often quite grungy, but the almost stop-motion CG work and wonderfully theatrical costumes actually suit the movie down to a tee.

The plot isn't quite as incomprehensible as I was expecting, but I think some previous knowledge of Japanese folklore and legend would really help understand some of the later scenes. The lead playing Tadashi is quite a remarkable little kid, being able to pull off everything required from physical comedy to fighting, blind rage, fear and desperation with conviction. The adult actors are also pretty good underneath layers of latex (or some underneath hardly much at all) and even the little squirrel creature hand-puppet pulls off enough emotion to convince.

Takashii Miike doesn't even reign himself in. This movie, for a kids film, has quite a bit of horror and gore, with a crazy cow birthing scene at the beginning, sickly yellow crap spurting from the little squirrel every time he gets wounded and several bloody limb removals. It's also completely and utterly surreal, starting off similar in tone to a far better acted and designed Uzumaki and then heading off into all-out action SFX territory for the finale. The script also has some nice zingers - a homeless person dismissing one huge monster as "It's just Gamera", for example - and provides enough of an emotional core to pull the viewer in and reign back the visual madness.

This isn't a movie for everyone. No way. Loads of people are going to see this and complain about the effects not being good enough, but like those who do the same about Mirrormask, they're missing the point. The effects might be occasionally dodgy, but they work within the context of the film and the overall design pulls it together even when the movie loses the plot. The ending will require a bit of research to fully understand, but at least it provides a great finish to a long-running joke throughout the movie and ties it all up.

The best way to describe it is being an ultraviolent Neverending Story. It might not have the same powerful imagery, but it makes up for it in charm and over-the-top crazy shit. I highly recommend it to any horror buff and 80's fanboy wanting a slice of what made them tick back then... but the strength of its imagination should pull in fans from across all ages.

The extras on the second disc are pretty bizarre too. The two short films seem to have been done on the fly for the sheer hell of it, but are still quite entertaining, and Miike shows he's quick witted and all for a laugh on the World Yokai Conference. Instead of just promoting the film straight, the producers obviously had a whale of a time pretending the entire thing was real for a one-off publicity conference and it looks like it was a lot of fun.

I haven't got into the documentary, but I watched about a minute of it and found that the entire cast and crew attended a shrine before the filming of the movie. That move seems to have worked out, as it's a fun film which is suffused with Japanese spirit lore. If you think you'll like it, buy it. I'm certainly pleased to add it to my collection and I'm sure you will too!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:05 pm

I watched The Legend of Zorro last night, and was sorely disappointed. I really, really loved The Mask of Zorro, thought it has some wonderfully-choreographed fights and some nice set pieces. And I've always loved the Zorro character.

This one just felt like... okay, so what? It felt like they were working through the exact same formula from the first film, but with a few poor additions and sans the emotional investment.

I hate that they spend all the time in film 1 getting Zorro and Elena together, then they split them up right at the beginning of film 2. It just feels off, feels forced.

The kid, while an unnecessary addition, was actually rather cute, not the annoying-as-shit type like the one in The Mummy Returns.

Anyway, there are a few decent swordfights, but nothing you haven't seen better in other films... like The Mask of Zorro.

I'd say wait until cable, if anything, and then only watch bits and pieces.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:31 pm

I heard taht film was shit. How and why do they make these shit sequels. It can't be that hard to avoid can it?

Anyway, saw the last third of Full Metal Jacket Potatoes on TV just now.

Hot damn, that Vietnam sequence pisses me off. Why do they run through all those done to death cliches in it? There's hardly any new light or unique angle taken on them, and there's just bugger all story going on there. The climax was watching joker take about 10 minutes to kill that sniper?!?!? WOW!!!!!

Pfffffff!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby vicious_bastard on Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:35 pm

Watching The Long Goodbye on TV right now. Worth it for the hilarious Walter Brennan impression and young Arnie appearance with a comedy 'tache. I am not a huge fan of Elliott Gould's.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:36 pm

The kid, while an unnecessary addition, was actually rather cute, not the annoying-as-shit type like the one in The Mummy Returns.

I fully endorse this statement.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:01 pm

Spanking.

six of the best, eh?

ive been checking out "knowing me knowing you with alan partridge". man is that shit funny. i have previously been exposed to steve coogan as alan partridge in "im alan partridge". that show was hilarious too, but "kmkywap" as he called it, is a little funnier. i havent laughed that hard in a long time. that one with the bald brummies, where at the end, he has his face right in that dudes ass, man i was dying. the way the series ended was surprisingly artsy for a comedy. it was almost kaufman-esque, the way partridge accidentally shoots that guy in the chest with that dueling pistol. the comedy comes to a screeching halt, because the immediate fallout from the shooting is handled so realistically. it was amazing. in fact, i think its almost a better extension of what kaufman did a lot of the time, which (imho) doesnt work well, when its only in front of a live audience. anyway, terrific stuff. coogan actually has a new flick out (at least its new here) called "Tristram Shandy: A Cock & Bull Story", im all over this shit. ive had 24 hour party people on tape for well over a year, but never watched it. maybe now its time.

so, to our beloved u.k. zoners....
is this show as funny to you guys as it is to me? or is it more of a mainstream kind of a deal, that really isnt that good, if you live over there? if i am making any sense that is. what is the indiginous art lovers take on this show?

btw, thanks to flumm for giving me the courage to speak out about this.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:25 pm

I saw Domino the other night for the first time....it wasn't too bad, it really wasn't that good either, I think that with better editing that film could increase almost ten fold...thats just my two tired cents anyway while I sit here at work =)
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Eric G on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:33 pm

i can't believe I'm admitting this, but this is the Zone; and there's no secrets between Zoners so.....

My girlfriends constant viewing of Desperate Housewives has got me hanging out to see whats going to happen to these bunch of miscreants.
Other than that, i watched some Pulp Fiction Special Features yesterday and then Scrubs Season 2, Disc One last night as I fell asleep
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:39 pm

Eric G wrote:My girlfriends constant viewing of Desperate Housewives has got me hanging out to see whats going to happen to these bunch of miscreants.

Eric, I've seen every episode of Desperate Housewives. Season One was about 95% stellar, 5% laughably bad. Season Two--switch the numbers.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Eric G on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:47 pm

Well that doesn't fill me with much hope Whedon. I've seen all of Season One, and we are only 3 (or 4?) episodes into Season Two.
You make it sound like I should quit while Im ahead.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:51 pm

The show just really spins its weels during Season Two. We're almost to the end of it now and they haven't yet wrapped up many elements of the mystery from Season One.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Eric G on Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:03 pm

:roll:

See.....that is why I don't usually watch TV shows. That kind of shit reeaaally puts me off
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:29 am

Brocktune wrote:

Spanking.

six of the best, eh?

ive been checking out "knowing me knowing you with alan partridge". man is that shit funny. i have previously been exposed to steve coogan as alan partridge in "im alan partridge". that show was hilarious too, but "kmkywap" as he called it, is a little funnier. i havent laughed that hard in a long time. that one with the bald brummies, where at the end, he has his face right in that dudes ass, man i was dying. the way the series ended was surprisingly artsy for a comedy. it was almost kaufman-esque, the way partridge accidentally shoots that guy in the chest with that dueling pistol. the comedy comes to a screeching halt, because the immediate fallout from the shooting is handled so realistically. it was amazing. in fact, i think its almost a better extension of what kaufman did a lot of the time, which (imho) doesnt work well, when its only in front of a live audience. anyway, terrific stuff. coogan actually has a new flick out (at least its new here) called "Tristram Shandy: A Cock & Bull Story", im all over this shit. ive had 24 hour party people on tape for well over a year, but never watched it. maybe now its time.

so, to our beloved u.k. zoners....
is this show as funny to you guys as it is to me? or is it more of a mainstream kind of a deal, that really isnt that good, if you live over there? if i am making any sense that is. what is the indiginous art lovers take on this show?

btw, thanks to flumm for giving me the courage to speak out about this.

You are right Brock, this show is hilarious. It was always kept on BBC2, hence never being mainstream, its our comedy of the intellect as it were. Coogan is legendary, he has not made much crap apart from one film called the Parole officer (not entirely terrible, but pretty poor all the same) and arguably around the world in 40 days with Jackie Chan, although I've not seen that.

His stand-up is great, he is great on "the day today" and his one off shows playing Pauline Calf and her brother Paul are a riot. He even played a Portugese sex god singer which was also hilarious imo. His comdey is strongly linked with guys called Chris Morris and Armando Ianuchi (or however you spell it) they are comedy writing greats in the U.K and are responsable for the day today and brass eye.

Where Coogan is sometimes hit and miss, Armando and Chris Morris hit you with so much its hard not to laugh insanely hard. N.B Chris and Armando are very subversive to Brit t.v in general, playing with notions of how the news is used and presented and then making it look ridiculuous, if you get this then you should really enjoy their stuff.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:37 am

UK Zoners. Don't forget Downfall's on tonight 9pm C4.

Tape it if you're going out.

We should keep each other informed of stuff like this. Us Zoners have to stick together.

We've all we've got.

Kirk.............................................. .................Kirking.......................... .............out.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:28 am

It's very good but rather long, much better watched with the security of a pause button, I found myself getting bogged down at times, at least you'll have those charming Ad breaks to break it up and give you a breather.

Goebels and his wife come across as the nastiest villains since Vader in ANH.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby jgraphix on Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:30 am

Just started watching Enterouge last night and it is pretty great.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:06 am

I forgot to mention Gogo from Kill Bill, Chiaki Kuriyama , is the bad girl with the beehive hair in Yokai. Another post reminded me. Good to see her looking slinky and older in another film!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:11 am

I just watched Kill! and Samurai Rebellion...

its Samurai Cinema over at the MusicBox Theatre!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:21 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I just watched Kill! and Samurai Rebellion...

its Samurai Cinema over at the MusicBox Theatre!

I bought that Rebel Samurai box-set from Criterion on e-bay yesterday, got a really good deal on it (just thirteen smackaroos new, which would be about 24 dollars). Are those two movies any good? I mean from what I've heard about them (and the other two), and from the fact that we're talking Criterion here I got no doubt they'll be great (they should change their name to Criterion Pwns Bitches, it just has much more dramatic effect).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:25 am

Yeah the movies were a lot of fun...for some reason people classify Kill! as a comedy...and I think that alters peoples perception of it...if you like Samurai movies then you will love these two.

I will be seeing Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai, and Yojimbo later this week.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

A Bunch

Postby tstreet on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:33 am

Arrested Development - Didn't watch it while it was on but I love it.

Sports Nights - Another Show cancelled way too early.

Junebug - Great Film- Great Performances

Domino - Way too long - Just kinda fell apart
WHERE I BEGIN - Coming 2011

Check out the Movies Teaser Trailer

http://www.vimeo.com/14518699

Also Check Out The Movies Official Website:

http://www.whereibeginmovie.com
tstreet
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Seppuku on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:37 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Yeah the movies were a lot of fun...for some reason people classify Kill! as a comedy...and I think that alters peoples perception of it...if you like Samurai movies then you will love these two.

I will be seeing Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai, and Yojimbo later this week.

Thanks Lecko, I'm glad I bought them then now.

And what is this Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai and Yojimbo movie of which you speak? I've never heard of it, but it's got a weird title...sounds like it ripped off Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon a little. Naw, sounds tres sucky to me, I recommend you avoid it ;).
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:59 am

Yeah I don't think you will be disappointed.

I sure do love me some Samurai's.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:14 pm

Wolf Creek *spoilers*

I've just finished watching Wolf Creek and can barely think about going to bed. This has to be the worst advert I've ever seen for holidaying in the Australian outback.

Telling the tale of three early twenty-somethings out on a hedonistic camping trip, it starts off easily enough with beautiful, open vistas of the Ozzie countryside, one wild party and possible romance between one of the girls and the only fella. They're a reasonably realistic trio out for a laugh, and although they have an unfortunate tendency to fall on the twatty side of posh travellers, they're affecting enough for you to engage with them. This is helped by some snappy dialogue and the fact the relationships seem more than the meat-and-two-veg you typically get in the teen slasher genre. Which is good, because apparently this movie is "based on true events".

To note, just even the vague notion of this film being "based on true events" is enough to make me fill a load and change into a new pair of boxers.

Now, I don't get stressed or too disturbed easily watching films. Hell, I licked the screen watching The Thing and bared my ass at Alien's facehugger as a practical joke. But psychological horror nearly always gets me with the occasional rare exception. Silence of The Lambs failed. Wolf Creek got me.

Almost Spielbergian in its execution, we follow the trio to Wolf Creek Crater by way of a tatty, run-down gas station filled with obnoxious, backwoods locals. Which is where the shit really hits the fan. Wolf Crater looks absolutely stunning, a real location and a glorious vista. We drink this in, go back to the car to find its battery is dead and then... we meet Mick.

Now, we've all seen our fair share of movie psychopaths. Mike Myers, Freddy Krueger, Hannibal Lecter... well, they have got absolutely nothing on the terrifying embodiment of feckless evil that is Mick. I mean, this guy is salt of the earth and seems to be a good, honest fella... maybe a bit down on his luck... but he's also...

AN ABSOLUTELY RAVING FUCKING LUNATIC.

Now, the top moment of this film... well, I aint going to spoil if for you. Nearly all the top moments feature this merrily idle headfuck bantering his way through scenes of almost unimaginable terror. But there's one bit... well, lets say its the most uncomfortable 45 seconds/minute I've ever watched and it wonderfully turns a famous line by Crocodile Dundee on its head before sticking a knife in it and screwing it around until you die spitting blood from a gaping wound and trying to yell through your own bile... *breathes in*

This is also the least fair film I've seen in a long time. It really doesn't care what it does to the main characters... what it does care about is making sure you're slackjawed with the unfairness of it all pretty much all the way until the end. I mean, the cute little gerbil-creature in Takashi Miike's The Great Yokai War was pummelled to a pulp until it bled yellow vomit. I could take that with humour. But watching a murderous middle-aged man shoot, knife, threaten and stalk these realistic kids with relentless impassivity and a jolly glint in his eye is something else.

This is definitely the best horror I've seen from last year. Seriously, screw The Descent. I liked it, it was clever, but it featured evil Golli (plural for Gollum, folks - write that in your diary) and unrealistically drawn characters. THIS is the real horror of last year and you owe it to yourselves to be dragged down kicking and screaming with it into Micks swirling madness. It's fucking evil on disc and it demands to be seen... just don't watch it whilst holidaying in Australia.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:30 pm

Just when I was being scared that I was liking Absolute Crap, along comes Red Sonja, just finished on BBC1.

"Eef yoo warnt to be da Karncarwoar, you haarv to pyrepyare, too bee Karncwoared!!!! Nggyaaaarrrggghhh!!!!!!!"

It even had that little chinese shit from The Last Dragon trying ot beat up Arnie too. "Ayeaarrrgghh!!!!"

At least I didn't stay watching that wankpuddle that is The Last Starfighter earlier on C5. Bantha texted me when I was sleeping telling me to watch it. What a prat!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Brocktune on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:51 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I will be seeing Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai, and Yojimbo later this week.

if you find tears streaming down your cheeks while you watch these, dont freak out, you arent crying. you eyes are just having an orgasm.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:15 am

Wouldn't that be an eyegasm?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:03 am

Just wanted to say whilst it runs in the background... Wolf Creek's DVD features are a brilliant look into the making of a low budget HDV feature.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LudwigMackdaddy on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:21 am

Personally.. I am still drooling over my Elec COmpany DVD set.. I can't wait for more of them !!!

D-- VD
DVD.. da da da dah

POST -- ING

Posting. Da da da dah
I am Ludwig, I am Mackdaddy--nuff said. :)
http://www.under.org/cpcc/pkwaddle.htm
LudwigMackdaddy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Flumm on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:50 pm

I realised a little while back, that I had great swathes of things I hadn't seen. So I'm in the ongoing proccess of rectifying that lamentable state of affairs.

*spoilers you douches*

This past week or so I watched...

La Dolce Vita

I didn't really know what to expect with this. So often with so called classics, they feel worthy of the praise, but not something you would necessarily watch for entertainment. However, I really liked this. As far as my interpretation of it goes. It's about realising when you're living honestly, seing the mistakes you're making in your life, and changing for the better, while you still can. It's quite a long flick, nearly 3 hours, but if you a taste for this sort of thing, than you can't go wrong.

There's some fantastic performances, especially from the various supporting cast of the weary, the rich, and the cheekboned and not least from Marcello Mastroianni as the protaginist, searching for a little substance in his life of women, booze and sportscars. Why do I keep getting suprised at how much depth and naturalness actors achieve in other languages? As if people didn't have feelings before technicolour or something. I don't know, but I do. And I was sucked in, and envoloped by the strange, seedy, richness of late 1950's Italy. Everything from the little paparizzi guys on mopeds, who seemingly with no conscience, stick their noses into tragedy and farce alike, without a thought for anything but thier deadlines. Grieving widows, fist fights, you name it. Even scurriying all over moving cars to take that one picture that would give them notiority. All the way to the comfy, selfsatisfied, yet seemingly hollow world of the uppercrust intellectuals. Performing for eachother, examples of wit and insight, yet recieving no comfort from their wisdom.

By no means a feel good film, despite the beautiful peopel, the buzz of the city and so forth, there's a thread of tiredness, of the passing of life runnig through it all. The cycles that you can't escape. Age and youth. The illusion of lust and beauty, of shallow love. The ache of relationships dying. And it also has one of the most unforseen, disturbing twists I have ever witnessed.

Overall a film about life, from the sweetness to the bitterness.

9/10

Million Dollar Baby

Hillary Swank has purty lips. Clint Eastwood doesn't have any lips. One of them dies.

8/10

Hero

Not as refined perhaps, as HOFD, but I got more and more into it, as the layers of truths and perceptions peeled away. I'm really looking forward to exploring more stuff from Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung aswell, they more than matched Jet Li's stony, tightly coiled Hero. Not to mention Zhang Ziyi's most consistantly vivid performance. She plays a simple character, but she plays it with grit, with every frame she has on screen. Masterfully done from everyone involved.

9/10

Farewell My. Lovely

Mitchum. Chandler. Nuff said.

8/10

Life As A House

Somewhere above a TV movie, and somewhere below a genuinely classy tragic drama. Kline tries to reach out to his son, and atone for his past, when he learns that he has terminal cancer. Hayden Christensen does a little better than he did in ROTK, although tbh, not by much. As usual Kevin Kline does a good job leading the cast, and I really didn't see the final little twist in the last scene. Worth a watch if you're in the mood for something a little sentimental.

7.5/10

Team America - World Police

Dissapointing. Thought it might well be right up my alley. I have a lot of fond memories of South Park, although at times they can be a little scattergun with their politics, they're often sublime with their humour. Not so much here IMO. The majority of the jokes fell flat for me and I was kind of glad when it ended.

4/10
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:52 pm

Sooooooooooooo....
What did you think of Million Dollar Baby???

And what's next on the list???
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:53 pm

I just watched Pauly Shore Is Dead on digital cable...it was kind of funny. My older brother LOVES Pauly Shore and he actually dragged me to go see him perform live at a local comedy club. Man does he look like shit and he knows it too. He actually grabbed some girls breast in the front row, but she was pretty wasted so I don't think she minded. It was real awkward for everyone.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:13 am

athenabodicea wrote:Sooooooooooooo....
What did you think of Million Dollar Baby???

And what's next on the list???

I liked it. It reminded me a lot of Road to Perdition, you know? The gentle, yet structured pace, the subtle score, the relationships of parent and child. Quiet and brooding. I knew there was some tragedy heading my way towards the end, but I didn't know exactly what to expect, so I was suprised, and got despite my wanting not too, I got caught up in it a little bit...

I think there's lots of things that really worked in it, but for some reason, it's not something that I would fall in love with, either. To me, despite the emotions and themes involved, there's something a little cold, a little distant about it overall. Everyone does really well in it though, and I really loved the final shot, it was really understated and a moment of class and subtedly to round things off...

Haha, oh and I forgot, I watched City of God too.

:shock:

Gees how did I forget about that

Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:19 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:At least I didn't stay watching that wankpuddle that is The Last Starfighter earlier on C5.

To quote a line from The Commitments:
That's fookin' blasphemy!

Every remaining memory of mine from when I was 10 years old makes me want to go on a raging rampage now. When that movie hit HBO I watched it almost every time it was on during the day. Great movie? Gods, no. Fun as hell, vintage 1980's flick? You betcha.

Rant over.
Game on.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Brocktune on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:25 pm

Fievel wrote:Every remaining memory of mine from when I was 10 years old makes me want to go on a raging rampage now. When that movie hit HBO I watched it almost every time it was on during the day. Great movie? Gods, no. Fun as hell, vintage 1980's flick? You betcha.

i drove around for a year with a piece of duct tape on my steering wheel that read "death blossom". the car was a real piece of junk. it was hilarious.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Petri on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:51 pm

We finally watched Mallrats (for the first time, yes I'm ashamed) last night. That's a great movie.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:52 pm

Petri wrote:We finally watched Mallrats (for the first time, yes I'm ashamed) last night. That's a great movie.

well at least you've seen it now man, and yes it is a great film, i'd even hold it above Clerks
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Petri on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:55 pm

My wife HATED Clerks, thus I was glad that she enjoyed Mallrats or I think she would have given up Kevin Smith films for good.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:57 pm

He can be a bit hit or miss at times
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:16 pm

I enjoyed Mallrats a ton. It's just spasmoidically funny so I can't understand peoples beef with it. Clerks wasn't THAT great for me either... gimme Chasing Amy instead. I appreciated Clerks but... just didn't do much for me.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray