What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Betamax and beyond

Postby Petri on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:17 pm

I thought Mallrats was hilarious. The stinkpalm is timeless.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:55 pm

GIMME A 'F'!

F!

GIMME A 'U'

U!

GIMME A 'C'!

C!

GIMME A 'K'!

K!

WHAT'S THAT SPELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????
FAAAHHHK!!!!!!!!

FAAAHHHK!!!!!!!!

FAAAHHHK!!!!!!!!
FAAAHHHK!!!!!!!!
FAAAHHHK!!!!!!!!
FAAAHHHK!!!!!!!!
FAAAHHHK!!!!!!!!
FAAAHHHK!!!!!!!!

Woodstock Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 Days Of Peace and Music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And naked chicks!!!!

Maaan, I wish I was a child of 60s America!!!

Considering the heavy day we've had today in the Smile thread, I think this is poignant for so many reasons!!

Anyone wanna chime in here about the greatness of Woodstock, please do so.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Seppuku on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:01 pm

I loved all 4 hours of that baby. I guess I'm a cosmic groovy love-child so I would do. The reason why it's mountains above most concert/festival DVDs is because it doesn't just concentrate on the music, it's all about the people- and the people are fucking deluded lunatics, but lovable deluded lunatics.

The best scene for me (apart from Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner, his whole set was like some heavenly comedown) was when that old geezer was defending the hippies and said something like, "If marioujana makes them that peaceful then maybe we should all smoke it", while the other crazy old coot is saying, "14 year old girls camping out naked! It's just not on!" IPAMPILASH, that's some funny shit. But straight afterwards you get the naked gorgeous hippie chicks bathing in the river.

Life is gooood, life is gooood.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:16 pm

God Janis Joplin, shut the fuck UP!!!!!! You're doing my head in, and when you really strain yourself you just remind me of the Biker Gang Leader from the Any Which Way movies!!!

Otherwise I MUST BE IN HEAVEN MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:30 pm

Heheh

this guy?

colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:35 pm

NGYAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Das da cat, man!!!! You're groovee man!!

Now get a pic of JJ and put them next to each other and we're sorted!!!

Man I shoulda put Woodstock on last 70s week man! Can we go back in time, go back in time to last week to go back in time to the 70s?!?!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:37 pm

Can we go back in time, go back in time!??!?!

(Shakes head in confusion) Man I just said that earlier!

What's happening!?!?!?!

Man I just said that!

Man I just said that!
Man I just said THAT!!!

Man I just said, "Man I just said that!"

What the...?!??!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:13 pm

Ichi The Killer

I think three words describe this film aptly.

WHAT

THE

FUCK?

Possibly one of the sickest, sadomasochistic films I've ever seen, I finally got the guts (pun intended) to sit down to watch it. I'm starting to become a minor Takashii Miike fan... Audition was an excellent exercise in audience baiting, Happiness of the Katakuri's was bizarre fun, The Great Yokai Spirit War is Labyrinth surfing on a crack high and Ichi The Killer is ulatraviolent Manga come to life. The violence is SO over the top... the sadism SO completely nuts... you just get the feeling that Miike made a big list of "no-no's" and filmed the worst.

Fortunately, it's a film with plot and characterisation too! So thank god he didn't leave those important things behind whilst managing to saturate it with some of the trippiest imagery and snappiest editing I've seen in a while. Like Night Watch, it uses cinematic tricks to inflict the viewer with emotion... keeping the camera steady when impact is needed, going fuckzoid when mad shit is happening. There's just so many visual ideas in here its good that its main story is, at first, easy to follow...

After thinking on it for ten minutes, I still don't really know what happened at the end. At first the madness is tempered by the reality of the situation and anchored by one of the main characters, an ex-policeman and his son. But the last 20 minutes just goes completely out there... off the scale... to the point where I'm not entirely sure what happened. Personally, I thought it was a bit of a cheap trick to pull, what with the movie being so straightfoward until then, despite some weaving narrative to hold the characters together. As such, minus points for trying too hard to be clever at the end.

Whilst a movie like Oldboy actually led up to something, the perversion of the superhero saga in Ichi and the inevitable face-off (something that happens a LOT in this film) was let down by its inability to decide on an ending. Oldboy was almost as crazy, is also based on a manga, but led up to a conclusion that was satisfying by its inevitability. It got somewhere, even though the viewer is perplexed as to what to think - did I just see something good or bad? Ichi doesn't even let you get that far.

Ichi almost seems paced to a marathon fuckathon. As such, it's kind of like bad sex. The film knows it's not achieved it right... it still cums, but for some reason it just didn't satisfy. It's not that your partner wasn't any good, or wasn't good looking even, just something didn't work. Everything leading up to the end was good - but you just get the nagging feeling that something could've been done better.

Don't get me wrong... Ichi IS a remarkable gorefest. Its perverted characters are grotesquely fascinating, its violence ghoulish but rooted in the characters and it looks stylish to boot. My only other complaint apart from its inability to satisfy is the lead actress keeps speaking English and her acting ability isn't all that... but apart from that, its one of those films you really need to see once to understand what the fuss is all about.

Just keep a finger near the fast forward button if you're squeamish and don't think about eating any fried foods beforehand.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:30 pm

nice review Atomic.

make sure you check out Fudoh, one of my top 5 Miike menage a blood.

I'll also vouch for City of Lost Souls, but I didn't dig Izo (worth a watch tho') or the Dead or Alive Trilogy, but to each, eh?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:34 pm

Ah, Izo is one I need to see. I hear it's screwed up filmmaking par excellence - not heard of Fudoh, but the guy makes so many bloody (har har) movies I'd be suprised if I ever saw them all... seems like people called Takashi are real workaholics. Got Violent Cop, Sonatine and Boiling Point to watch next! Oh, and the Ichi animé.

Aside from Miike, I've been watching a lot of Asian horror and suchlike recently. Uzumaki is a movie worth seeing if you're into mindrapes. Tried that stupid Doll Master movie and Phone lately too... utter tripe.

Nothing lives up to Ju-On or A Tale of Two Sisters for me.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:39 pm

what about my man Kiyoshi Kurosawa?

I loved Pulse, Seance scared the shit out of me (damn creepy walking ghosts of Japanese cinema do it to me everytime!) and thought Charisma had some strong moments. Doppleganger was allright, haven't seen Bright Future yet, but I've heard good things.

Now, Cure is supposedly his masterpiece, but everytime I've rented it, I fall asleep after the first 20minutes.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:43 pm

I've not seen any of his stuff, but rest assured... I will do now you've recommended it!

My girlfriend is Malaysian. I tell you, the traditional ghost stories in Asia make our western ones look like shit. Her grandmothers place was apparently haunted by a ghost vampire (Pontiniak) that floated above the house looking for a way in.

I mean, just check out this shit!
http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/lofiversion/index. php/t54605.html
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Woodstock Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 Days Of Peace and Music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And naked chicks!!!!

Maaan, I wish I was a child of 60s America!!!

Considering the heavy day we've had today in the Smile thread, I think this is poignant for so many reasons!!

Anyone wanna chime in here about the greatness of Woodstock, please do so.

i too love this movie. there is nothing better than sitting down about 1 or 2 hours before dusk, any day in june or july, bong in hand, a sweet sack of the stickiest of the icky, and four fucking hours of woodstock. its almost a spiritual experience. i really feel like the filmmakers knew what they were documenting, and filmed what they needed to to get an accurate unembellished look at what it was really like to be there. when they start telling people that the storm is coming, and to get down from the towers. i feel like im there too. except without the free sex with random naked filthy hippy girls. i love it..... all but the lack of free sex with random naked filthy hippy girls.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Oni on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:46 pm

I rented Walk The Line and Howl's Moving Castle. They were both good. I didn't like Howl's Moving Castle as much as Tim Burton's Corpse Bride or Wallace & Gromit. (All 3 were nominated for the best animated feature film award). And Walk The Line was awesome. I watched it multiple times during my rental time. Good stuff. Next dvd purchase will be Harry Potter 4. I'm just saving up some pennies.
Oni
GLIB

Postby Cabiria on Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:55 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Anyone wanna chime in here about the greatness of Woodstock, please do so.
It is a great film. What is odd is that the first time I saw it was in high school, for my junior history class. Our teacher/coach was a little off center, I think. I always wondered if he got permission to show that to us.

A year or so later he was arrested for shoving a frozen turkey down his pants and holding up the bank branch inside a local grocery store, so I guess he liked living on the wild side anyway... talk about not avoiding the brown acid... :shock:
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:19 am

I just remembered about the film I saw on TV monday Night, "Being There" with Peter Sellers...

HOW IN THE FUCK DID THIS SLIP UNDER MY RADAR

I loved this film, trully excellent and as relevant today as it was then.

A simple minded Gardener who watches TV incesantly is thrust into the outside world for the first time in his life, pretty much everything he knows is imitated from TV and he's only got a short attention span, the city he is thrust into is Washington DC I think you can guess where the plot is heading. Utter brilliance and with a performance to match his performances in Dr Strangelove. If you are too young to have ever heard about this flick like me I implore you to seek it out if you like stuff with a cutting satirical bite.

Also has fantastic performances from Shirley MacLaine, Melvyn Douglas (who won the oscar for it) Jack Warden and Richard Dysart (Dr Copper from The Thing).
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:41 am

John-Locke wrote:I just remembered about the film I saw on TV monday Night, "Being There" with Peter Sellers...

A simple minded Gardener who watches TV incesantly is thrust into the outside world for the first time in his life, pretty much everything he knows is imitated from TV and he's only got a short attention span, the city he is thrust into is Washington DC I think you can guess where the plot is heading. Utter brilliance and with a performance to match his performances in Dr Strangelove. If you are too young to have ever heard about this flick like me I implore you to seek it out if you like stuff with a cutting satirical bite.

Also has fantastic performances from Shirley MacLaine, Melvyn Douglas (who won the oscar for it) Jack Warden and Richard Dysart (Dr Copper from The Thing).

hmmmm....i have seen this on the video shelf for ages and every once in awhile catch myself looking it over and reading the back of the cover...but i never seem to rent it...odd...cause i've always been interested...i will seek it out more heartily now though...thnx for the positive words J-L...

oh - and i watched Goblet of fire last night - just finished watching the ice harvest - and should be watching Where the Truth Lies 2morrow...so i'll chime in with my feelings on all of them in the next day or so...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:14 am

just watched "A History of Violence", again.

liked it even more the second time, and the special features are wonderful...did you know Croenenberg doesn't storyboard, at all?

"Can't say violence is never justified, can say it's never very attractive".

as for likin' it more this time, there's certain lines that standout more know that you know what's gonna happen. Tom's daughter wakes up in a nightmare, someone tells her "there's no such thing as monsters"; HA!, she's livin' with one!
"Nobody's perfect Tom." "I guess not"...much funnier this time around, and I thought it was a hoot the first time I saw it. I've got extended notes on this, too tired to go into it, but would love to discuss this film some more.

You know that question, of anyone alive who would you have dinner with?
Well, my #1 is still Pynchon, but when he bites it, I've got Croenenberg as my new choice...just seems so chill on the set "Zen-Like", coupled with a viciously dry sense of humor. Fiercely intelligent that man is, and I know I'd just sit there enraptured with whatever he has to say. A true cinema giant, an true auteur...we need more like him.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:59 am

John-Locke wrote:I just remembered about the film I saw on TV monday Night, "Being There" with Peter Sellers...

It's a beautiful film isn't it? If your interested John, you should read up further on teh various theories people attribute to the ending, I think it would be something you would find interesting. It's one of those movies that's open to a lot of interpretation...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:38 am

Banlieue 13.

Now that was some quality gun 'n fu, least for the first 40minutes or so.

David Belle and Cyril Raffaelli make for quite a pair, and while I'm a sucker for a any halfway decent mismatched buddy cop flick, it was the obvious Ong-Bak/Tony Jaa influence that won me over. Good to see a couple of well-trained stuntmen/fighters yet halfway decent actors kickin' much ass and takin' no names.

Good 'lil message to boot, what with the gov't abandoning the slums by walling them off, shutting down the school and police, and then tryin' to blow the place off the earth. Must've been a welcome piece of action-adrenaline pop-corn fluff during BNAT, a raucus drugged up bunch of cinema lovers must've had a good time with this one, 'cuz I know I did.

The script, meh, you can feel the films influences (the aforementioned Ong-Bak, Besson's own the Professional (hmmm, Matilda lookalike, "Chew my panties!"), elements of Assault on Precint 13, Die Hard, couple of fun one-liners ("You cocksucking wet tampon!") that always crop up in these type of flicks.

The main baddie was a bit of a tool (I understand motivating the peons thru the threat of a gunshot to the chest, but overall he was a bit of a joke, went out like a bitch too) but once again, the two leads are more than winning, good chemistry between them.

6.8 or so, worth a peep if you're a fan of some quality gun n' fu action.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cabiria on Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:19 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Banlieue 13.
Good 'lil message to boot, what with the gov't abandoning the slums by walling them off, shutting down the school and police, and then tryin' to blow the place off the earth. Must've been a welcome piece of action-adrenaline pop-corn fluff during BNAT, a raucus drugged up bunch of cinema lovers must've had a good time with this one, 'cuz I know I did.

It WAS a ton of fun. The Drafthouse really woke up with this film. It's not heavy on dialogue, as you say, but the action sequences were a blast. I can't wait to see this one again.
Cabiria
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Bill Oddie Goes Wild In Cape Town, BBC2, just finished.

Brilliant. Bill Oddie doing just what I did when I was out there. Watching Southern Right Whales breach right off the bay, Great White Sharks with my man, Andre Hartman, checking out all kinds of birds. Exactly the footsteps that I took - only I tuned into the programme just as it finished!!!!!!!!! (insert loads of angry icons if they had any!!!!)

I f*cking hate that. I hate Bill Oddie for being so badly timed. When this essential programme for me was on, guess what I was doing!??! Simony Diamond an the blimmin' internet that's who!!!!!!!!

I swore this morning I'd give this internet up, and look what's still happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (More angry icons)

Aaaaaaoooooghhh, did anyone tape this?!!?!?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:31 pm

I watched History Of Violence and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang this weekend, both excellent movies in obviously very different ways. I realised this week I haven't written a review or any prose on a piece of art that has affected since I was at uni, so I'm going to do some notes a write a full review and mini comparison of the two flicks, I'll be looking for lots of feedback (and don't be afraid to be harsh, I'm goin to be very very rusty). I'll post tommorrow or tuesday.
Last edited by TonyWilson on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:43 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I watched Hostory Of Violence and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang this weekend, both excellent movies in abviously very different ways. I realised this week I haven't written a review or any prose on a piece of art that has affected since I was at uni, so I'm going to do some notes a write a full review and mini comparison of the two flicks, I'll be looking for lots of feedback (and don't be afraid to be harsh, I'm goin got be very very rusty). I'll post tommorrow or tuesday.

BOO!

YOU SUCK!

You couldn't review my poo!

Just gettin' you ready for the derision :wink:.

No, seriously, can't wait...where you gonna put the reviews, in this thread or in the threads we have devoted to those films?

Couple of great flicks, glad to read you enjoyed them as well.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:47 pm

It depends what direction I go in, I definitely want to do a comparison in the ways the films treat violence so I'll probably post in here as it will be about both films simultaneously.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby John-Locke on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:49 pm

Flumm wrote:

It's a beautiful film isn't it? If your interested John, you should read up further on teh various theories people attribute to the ending, I think it would be something you would find interesting. It's one of those movies that's open to a lot of interpretation...

That was one of the first things I did when I had the chance, I'm not sure which one I subscribe too, I think he was probably just too innocent to know any better and for whatever reason he didn't sink. It's funny how people who bring up the christ comparisons are just as guilty of giving his actions too much importance as the people in the film.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:56 pm

I was thinking of doing a little review for this film. That and Catch 22 the other week. Both thoguht that they were brilliant movies.

Anyway, the end of Being There. It could be that he's basically the idea that the meek shall inherit the earth. That the simple people give us all the wisdom to do great, and that therefore makes him have a similar importance of Christ. Anyone?

Well, he could have been standing on some underwater chairs!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Flumm on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:45 am

I did a doublebill of Sideways and Oldboy this weekend, having seen either before. I wasn't dissapointed at all, both films were predictably brilliant. But everyone's watched them already so I won't bore ya's.

I will say though, I was really suprised by Thomans Hayden Church. He really steps up and gives as much to relish onscreen as Giamatti, who himself is giving a fine performance. What was a further suprise is when listening to the commentary by Giamatti and Church, how different he is from his character. He's remarkably witty and spontaneously funny, so much so that even Giammati was the one doing most of the laughing. It was strange to see the nature of the relationship in real life compared to the movie, and in a strange way, Church take that unspoken lead in the friendship. If nothing else, it was one of the best, most entertainig commentaries I've heard ever and I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone does from this point on, certainly Payne must rank now as one of my favourite filmmakers, but especially eager to see what choices Church makes with Sandman...

And a little while ago, I couldn't help but sit on the sofa with a big bowl of pasta and watch Suyr-puh-co for the 5th time.

:roll:
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:52 am

Sideways and Oldboy - two great films! Sideways is one of my favourite ever films... I used to work in a wine shop and thought all the tasting scenes were classics! "Are you chewing gum?"

Payne is such a naturalistic director... so understated yet effective. When Miles goes to the "dark side" I love how the direction starts getting woozy until he "drink and dials". And the dialogue is just simply perfect.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:26 am

Oooh... y'all gonna hate me... heheheh...

About a month ago I took a trip to Japan via ebookers. Now here in the UK, ebookers is affiliated with a card scheme called Nectar, which means the money you spend is converted into points you can spend at a number of places. Then you can swap those for vouchers which are "worth" more.

So... I nipped down to my nearby superstore (Sainsburys) and bought titles I always MEAN to watch or own but there's always something else in the way.

Azumi, Eternal Sunshine special ed., Ju-on Special Ed (jap), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and the 2-disc Apollo 13. Wahey! Will review Kiss Kiss and Azumi and maybe revisit the others if I can be arsed!

For those in the UK, I also found Kitamura's Versus (worth watching once) and Princess Blade there too. In Sainsburys? I mean... wtf?!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:13 am

ok... so 3 dvd rentals this weekend.

1) Goblet of Fire:
what can i say that hasn't really already been said....hmmm - 1st of all - i'm not a huge Potter buff - i've never read any of the books - and i don't plan to - the 1st one i didn't really enjoy that much - and i think that's really the only one that the fact i hadn't read the book it affected me - cause i felt it dragged quite a bit and took awhile to go anywhere slightly interesting - so i was never really pumped about the new ones - i caught Chamber of Secrets on tv one night and enjoyed it - quite a bit more so than the 1st one - so - i decided to rent Azkaban and was actually quite impressed - i enjoyed it immensely and i then at that point became a potter fan - so how does Goblet compare in my mind - well - i liked it - even more so than the others i believe - the reason i mentioned above that i'm not planning to read any of the books is because i like the fact that movies can actually surprise me - and i can allow them to unfold without expecting much or knowing what's going to happen -

i mean - i know all the people who have read the books love them all and watch them - usually a few times - but i like the fact that the twists and turns are actually that to me - it kinda feels like the 1st three were kind of just a setup - they were still a bit light - and fun - with some dark elements in them - but i believe goblet is where things really take off - this is what the 1st 3 are leading up to - and now the series will take off (not in an enjoyment or finaancial way) but more of in a real intense dark, adventurous way - voldemort could and should and more than likely will become one of our greatest screen villains - and easily one of the best in recent years - this one is quite a bit darker and you can feel the series taking a turn for the even better - everyone's older - more weathered and weary - and we don't need to spend all the time on set-up - it's like Hermione says right at the end - something along the lines of things are never gona be the same or things are changing - kinda thing - and you know it's true and you feel it -

there is another thread on the zone which discusses the possibility of the blockbuster being dead - well - i can tell you that is so far from the truth - and this series is one of the few right now that proves it - the whole production team - all the actors that are brilliant in everything they do - the time - dedication and care put into the project - and the emphasis put on story and characters - with set pieces thrown in to advance the story and the characters - as opposed to sell the trailer and to hopefully sell some burgers and toys - these movies are true blockbusters - where you care about everything that happens - from the small character moments like trying to get a date - to the big event moments like battling a dragon on the roof of the school - everything feels real and it affects you on every level -

well done and impressive and once again - i can't wait for the next in the series...

and now on to 2 similarily themed (kinda) movies - but still quite drastically different - they're both crime movies - both deal with down and dirty events and people - and are both tackled in quite a different manner...

2) The Ice Harvest:
i enjoyed this movie quite a bit for what it's worth - it was short - tight - dark and funny... john cusack is the glue that holds everything together - he pretty much has one on one encounters with all the other supporting members - and he plays a character who always tries to take the path of least resistance in everything he does...it seems to fit him perfectly - and it's the type of character we enjoy and hope cusack plays - as opposed to spmeone who tries to find a girlfirend who has to love dogs or some crap like that...

Billy Bob should only do R Rated dark comedies - he has a psychotic, smooth energy to him that just doesn't fit in with normal comedies or kiddie fare...he's always enjoyable when he's dark and able to let loose - and he PWNS every scene he's in - also becauser he's a good contrast to cusack's laid back calm/lazy/nervous character...all in all - all the supporting characters PWN their own scenes - Oliver Platt as cusack;s best friend who had an affair with cusack;s wife and is now married to her - which has caused him to turn into a loud-mouth constant drunk is hilarious...even if he doesn't advance the central plot - it helps to cement the fact that cusack just doesn't really care about much around him...
Randy Quaid as the crime boss - great casting - it's good to see him do something and put energy into something that isn;t just cousin eddie from the vacation films - he's only in one scene - but he makes it interesting and he is a frightening presence...

and i love the fact that connie neilson is damn near un-recognizable from film to film - she just looks different and is almost chameleon like in some of her roles - in here she plays the slow talking - sultry - femme fatale - and she nails it - she seemed like a perfect fit - she's got a bit of an old-time classic movie beauty to her - in the way she looked - moved - and spoke - and her scene at the end with cusack and quaid was well-played...

couple of small complaints - but nothing that really deterred from it - we never know how exactely these guys took the money - we just know that Cusack came up with the idea - and he needed billy bob's help - but it's kinda nice to see a crime movie without actually seeing the centrally mentioned crime - kinda like how tarantino did the bank robbery in reservoir dogs - without actually having a bank robbery...also though - the fact that there is a hitman in town looking for them right away - and the fact that quaid finds out what happened so quickly - even though when cusack mentiones the crime - he says that it was thoguht out and pulled off because there would be know way quaid would find out for a few days - allowing them to escape - but once again - a minor quibble because in the end - of course - it adds more conflict - and it doesn't really take away from it...

the movie only runs about an hour and 24 minutes - so like i said - it's tight and movies quick - and i found myself laughing out loud numerous times - mainly due to Platt and Thornton... and the nice thing about this movie is that it's not like a lot of the run of the mill crime movies - in this one - the characters are quirky enough to be enjoyable and unique - but not too quirky as to be annoying and a bit of a farce - which i believe way too many crime movies turn out like...

it's nice to see Ramis do something a little different - some nice shots - some fast, violent, and bloody encounters, some great dialogue - and all around enjoyable hour and a half... it won't redefine the crime film - or necessarily resurrect the noir film - but you shouldn't regret checking it out...

3) Where the Truth Lies:
1st of all - i think it was great - and weirdly cosmic how Croenenberg and Atom Egoyan both made their most "commercial" movies in the same year - and in "commercial" i mean - in basic story, theme, and basic structure-wise...but neither of these 2 will ever be completely commercial and mainstream - which still always makes their movies damn enjoyable...now don't get me wrong - A History of Violence is a much better movie than Where the Truth Lies - but Truth is strong, confident, and tight little mystery to boot...

I still believe Egoyan is the master of the non-linear movie making - he intertwines scenes, time-frames, instances with ease - and it never seems to confuse or leave you in the dark - the transition between 1957 and 1972 are brilliant and the production design appears to be spot on - the colors are vibrant and the camera eye is always steady showing you just enough - for that moment - and just enough so you know what you need to know at that moment...

Kevin Bacon and Colin Firth portray a comedy duo - a HUGE comedy duo in the 50's - Lanny and Vince - they're on top of their game and they're best friends - in 1972 they're estranged - and you can tell - quite broken and weathered and the sharpness from their early days is not there...

Alison Lohman plays a journalist trying to write Vince's life story - but more importantly - she's really trying to figure out what happened to a part-time room-service clerk (Rachel Blanchard from TV's Clueless) who was found dead in their hotel room...neither of them was ever able to be linked to her death - but - like all good noir mysteries - nothing is as it seems...

this movie was released with quite a bit of controversary due to it's NC-17 rating - and the fact that the studio would not make any cuts to adhere to advisory board standards - and i applaud them for that - it instantly hurt and hindered the film performance wise - but im happy that they stuck with Egoyan's initial vision and wouldn't let it be compromised - does the film deserve the rating - well - there is quite a bit of nudity - a few sex scenes - and some explicitness...but honestly - with what Basic Instinct got away with over 10 years ago - and got it's R rating - i think this film got a little screwed... but - this is the film that would make Joe Esterhaus roll around in his soft-core porn induced wet-dream coma and sit up and realize that in order for audiences to really wanna sit through 2 hours of fairly graphic sex and nudity - there needs to be a story... (and yes - i know esterhaus wrote basic instinct - but he also wrote showgirls...) and there is a story here - and it does a good job of only revealing a lil bit here - a little more there - then making you question if what was revealed was actually what happened.

also - performance wise - bacon and firth are damn brilliant - bacon is the wild and crazy joke-man to firth's calm, classy, straight man - at least during their act - and they both put 100% into the characters - bacon is extremely beleivable as a man who says that the hardest thing in his life is trying to pretend to be a nice man when that's the furthest thing from the truth.
and firth damn near is a split personality between his show-man side and his personal side - i won't really give too much away - but there is a nice scene where a husband heckles and insults bacon dueing a show - and firth calms things down - apologizes for bacon's bad taste jokes - and walks the man to the back - where he then proceeds to beat the ever-living fuck outta him... complete back and forth between his character - and his actual personality...

alison lohman is HOT!!!!! kinda scary though how she played like a 14 year old in Matchstick Men (even though she was about 24) - but trust me - there's no denying the fact that she's grown up - she's got a couple of the steamiest scenes and she also is kinda co-narrator - with bacon - and she really is the one to advance the plot - the one to follow - and the one to "root" for - she radiates on the screen and i can't wait for her to have her big break-thru - cause she deserves it...and if not - i can just re-watch some of her scenes in here over and over and over...sorry - got a little distracted...

i just wanna end in saying that i believe Egoyan (along with his buddy Croenenberg) is one of the most confident, surest, and smartest directors working today - always giving us something different - but that still fits into his little catalogue of films and human study...and i just wanna say that i believe The Sweet Hereafter was one of the best movies to be made in the last decade or so... Truth is nowhere near that calibre of film - but it is also a completely different film - but nonetheless - it's a nice noir-mystery - with great performances - a really good look - some hot sex - and fairly complicated little mystery - worth it to anybody who's either a fan of erotic thrillers - noir-esque mysteries - or egoyan - except the special features suck some ass...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:22 am

Anyone see C4's World's Greatest Actor last night? I don't try to pay attention to top 100 greatest W*nkers blah blah blah, list of all time kind of things, but seeing as this vote was done by actual actors themselves and I'm desperate for a topic of at least 1 post discussion, and with some interesting and fair/questionable choices there, I thought it might be worth a little bump.

Now, watch the thread sink to the Abyss.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:32 am

Seeing as i couldn't bear to be away from Doc Holliday for so long I decided to buy Tombstone, I finished watching it about an hour ago.

I'd forgoten what agreat fuckin film this really is. It blew me away, The whole cast is truly outstanding, no-one puts a foot wrong. Val Kilmer obviously steals the show and he is just so good in this. I understand why got took his namesake.

This film also deserve a mention in the Underrated Movies thread, it dopesnt get enough attention, hence the reason I haven't watched it in over 6 years or so.

I looked up the director as well, George P Cosmatos, He did Esacape To Athena!!, one of my favourite war films!. He didnt get to make enough films. Sadly he died last year.

Who else wants to show some love for this awesome film?, I wish Doc were here right now...

(extra points if you respond "I'm ya huckleberry")
Last edited by colonel_lugz on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:43 am

I dunno if I already did put this in the Underrated Thread. I am always ranting on about Doc Holliday in this film. I've got comments on him in so many threads. I won't go into it here, but he is what makes this film worthwhile. I thought that the film was going pretty shite until the later half where Doc comes into more focus, and their is a greater and tighter attention payed to Wyatt and the relationship they share together, particularly the self sacrifice that Doc makes.

Doc Holliday works on so many different levels. He's about so much. A lot of this is portrayed in his tragic but inspiring final scene.

He really lifts this film into being great.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:47 am

actually - from what i hear - Cosmatos didn't finish this film or make it too far through it and - from what i hear - Kurt Russell basically took the reigns and finished "ghost-directing" the film himself - i don't necessarily recall exactely what happened or what the story behind it all was - but i do remember hearing this snippett a little while after the film's release - if anybody can confim or deny or tell me to shut the fuck up - that'd be greatly appreciated - but preferably one of the 1st 2...and yes - Tomstone is a BRILLIANT film - and arguably one of the best things Kilmer's ever done - well - next to Iceman...

"you guys are dangerous..."
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:52 am

I DO know that Kurt Russell sort of apologised for his performance as Wyatt Earp. He basically said that he wasn't happy with the work that he did in the role and he was aware that he wasn't as good as he should have been.

I didn't think he made much of a Wyatt anyway, then again I didn't think much of Costner's either.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:14 pm

Well i'm not accaepting his apology, I thought he was very good as Wyatt. Very reserved, a gentleman of the times. However he has this deep fury which when unleased was great to watch "..Hells coming with me!!!!!!", Not his best maybe but still an outstanding performance......Kirk...You're wrong
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:27 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Ichi The Killer

I think three words describe this film aptly.

WHAT

THE

FUCK?

Possibly one of the sickest, sadomasochistic films I've ever seen, I finally got the guts (pun intended) to sit down to watch it. I'm starting to become a minor Takashii Miike fan... Audition was an excellent exercise in audience baiting, Happiness of the Katakuri's was bizarre fun, The Great Yokai Spirit War is Labyrinth surfing on a crack high and Ichi The Killer is ulatraviolent Manga come to life. The violence is SO over the top... the sadism SO completely nuts... you just get the feeling that Miike made a big list of "no-no's" and filmed the worst.

Fortunately, it's a film with plot and characterisation too! So thank god he didn't leave those important things behind whilst managing to saturate it with some of the trippiest imagery and snappiest editing I've seen in a while. Like Night Watch, it uses cinematic tricks to inflict the viewer with emotion... keeping the camera steady when impact is needed, going fuckzoid when mad shit is happening. There's just so many visual ideas in here its good that its main story is, at first, easy to follow...

After thinking on it for ten minutes, I still don't really know what happened at the end. At first the madness is tempered by the reality of the situation and anchored by one of the main characters, an ex-policeman and his son. But the last 20 minutes just goes completely out there... off the scale... to the point where I'm not entirely sure what happened. Personally, I thought it was a bit of a cheap trick to pull, what with the movie being so straightfoward until then, despite some weaving narrative to hold the characters together. As such, minus points for trying too hard to be clever at the end.

Yeah, I just watched Ichi last week and was totally confused by the end. I thought it was an okay flick, basically I didn't feel much got resolved... besides most every character dies.

I saw Society this weekend, very bizarre 80's horror flick. Weird, weird weird... I also watched the Dukes of Hazard (dumb but enjoyable) which needed more car chases.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby jgraphix on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:37 pm

This weekend I saw: The Hills Have Eyes (Aja's), Daywatch, The Squid and the Whale, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Tim Burton's) and I took advantage of Hollywood video's buy 3 DVD's for $30 and bought:
Undead
High Tension
Batman Begins
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Tae Guk Gi
Hustle & Flow
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:55 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:Well i'm not accaepting his apology, I thought he was very good as Wyatt. Very reserved, a gentleman of the times. However he has this deep fury which when unleased was great to watch "..Hells coming with me!!!!!!", Not his best maybe but still an outstanding performance......Kirk...You're wrong

He was Kurt Russell with a moustache. Not much more.

He was better in Overboard. :D
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:58 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
colonel_lugz wrote:Well i'm not accaepting his apology, I thought he was very good as Wyatt. Very reserved, a gentleman of the times. However he has this deep fury which when unleased was great to watch "..Hells coming with me!!!!!!", Not his best maybe but still an outstanding performance......Kirk...You're wrong

He was Kurt Russell with a moustache. Not much more.

He was better in Overboard. :D

He was Oscar material in Captain Ron...........I actually really like that film :oops:
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:58 pm

ya - but Kurt Russell...with a moustache - is still usually a helluva lot more enjoyable than most of the young pretty tv teen-magnet stars that flood the multiplexes theses days... and captain ron was Teh Bomb...

ETA: wow... Lugz and I both bring up Captain Ron... damn my slightly slower fingers... :wink:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:06 pm

this thread rocks.

good to not only read 'bout what others are watching, but it's the amount of effort and overall quality of the reviews that makes me giddy like a schoolgirl whenever I peruse this wonderful thread.

good show 'peeps.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:08 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:this thread rocks.

good to not only read 'bout what others are watching, but it's the amount of effort and overall quality of the reviews that makes me giddy like a schoolgirl whenever I peruse this wonderful thread.

good show 'peeps.

Newsflash Fucko! thnx - and i agree with you... and same to you...! :D
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:16 pm

Vegeta wrote:Yeah, I just watched Ichi last week and was totally confused by the end. I thought it was an okay flick, basically I didn't feel much got resolved... besides most every character dies.

I saw Society this weekend, very bizarre 80's horror flick. Weird, weird weird... I also watched the Dukes of Hazard (dumb but enjoyable) which needed more car chases.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ichi has a LOT going for it. The editing and imagery are really quite rockin', there's some stuff in there you wouldn't have got either without going over the top... the exploration of S+M and suffusing that with Japanese pop culture in the lead bad guy Kakihara - there's things in this film you simply won't see anywhere else. It's just great up until the end - I'm just as pumped as Kakihara is for the finale by this time. Ichi, although an obviously human psychopath, has been built up as this amazing killing machine. And it simply doesn't live up to the all-out crazy shit slugfest you'd expect.

I think this deflation is what Takashi WANTED to achieve. Hell, one of the characters comments on it. But I don't think it was necessary. It was a "clever" move that backfired... and its a shame because the rest is so comic-crazy hysterical that you want that to lead up to the end.

I saw Society a good few years ago. That's another "WTF?!" movie... simply completely surreal with some astoundingly gross effects work. Not sure if the message completely works... I wasn't entirely sure what it was trying to comment on (something like the exclusivity of wealth and how it perverts those who have it) or exactly why everyone has a massive orgy at the end. But if you're desperate to see one of the wierdest 80's flicks there is and can handle someones face poking through another persons anus, its worth a look.

edit - forgot. The Ichi Anime is shit beyond belief.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:21 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote: and can handle someones face poking through another persons anus, its worth a look.

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:23 pm

ANALFACEPOKAGE!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:37 pm

Don't forget everybody.......(does a double take at the picture above this post, just like John Cleese seeing Biggus Dickus for the first time), er...that King of Comedy is on BBC1 late tonight, don't miss it.

What the fuck is that thing in that picture!??!?!?!??!?!??!?!??!?! WAD DA HELL IS IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Chilli on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:44 pm

I enjoyed Maid In Manhattan (It was on last night)

DUCKS
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:56 pm

havocSchultz wrote:[quote="AtomicHyperbole" ]
and can handle someones face poking through another persons anus, its worth a look.

Image[/quote]

So this is what they mean by "wearing an ass hat".
One truly disturbing image.

Could have titled it

"Birth of a Mod"

Thank you.
Don't forget to tip your waitress....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray