What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Betamax and beyond

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:18 am

Quints new thang: A Movie a Day

In case you don't visit the mothersite much, Quint is trying something new: watching a movie he's never seen everyday, and posting a review. Pretty daunting task...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:29 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
I think that she was his lawyer even back when he got put away, unless she switched sides from prosecution to defense and started working for him, 'cuz she's the one who's representing Jimmy Jump when he gets released later in the film. Fun fact...one of the thugs on the train is Harold Perrineau.

Walken has another lawyer who is an old man who the cops keep referring to as his defense attourney and is shown handling his legal business in the film. The young lady lawyer is also pretty cold and judgemental to Walken when they meet at the dinner early in the film and seems to take satisfaction in someone like him being put away, so I don't think she's his lawyer. And the cops give the young lady lawyer dirty looks when they see that she's representing Jimmy Jump like she's fallen from grace.

But you're right, it isn't really explicit enough that she's the one who put him away. But I don't think she was or is his personal attourney at any point.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:36 pm

In KING OF NY: I always thought his girlfriend was the one who prosecuted him or something thats why when David Caruso, Wesley and Vic Argo see her, they're disgusted at how she's slumming with him.

Last few movies watched:
There Will Be Blood
The Slender Thread (Sydney Pollack's first film)
Three Days of the Condor (I was just getting into this one and fell asleep cuz it was on last night kinda late)

New movies on the way:
Michael Clayton (netflix)
I'm Not There (netflix)
Rambo (netflix)
My Bloody Valentine (bought)
April Fool's Day (bought)
Summertime Killer (bought)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby hackett on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:23 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:I've just watched Southland Tales, lent to me by a good mate of mine. And I have to say, I've no fucking idea what I just watched. I can't tell if I enjoyed it or not. I can't tell if it's good or bad. I can't tell who I'm supposed to be routing for. I can't tell what the story is about.

I am so bloody confused!! :?

For the last few years I've really debated if Richard Kelly was everything that everyone has made him out to be. After reading interviews and hearing stories from other people who have been interviewed I really wonder if Dark was more of a Monkeys in a Room film than absolute genius ... and if people around him influenced him to make films that no one really understands.

I would really love to see his Holes script one day.
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:39 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Maui wrote: I'm sure the mutant in the basement and Anne Ramsey's character likely would have scared me if I was a little one.

Anne Ramsay still scares me now...

She's used as a warning to little kids who don't eat their vegetables...

"The only thing we serve is tongue. Do you boys like tongue? "

She certainly scared me in "Throw Momma from the Train".

:shock:
Maui
WoWie

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:46 pm

They should've thrown the train at her...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:26 pm

havocSchultz wrote:They should've thrown the train at her...

she ran that train.

she ran it all night long...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby Al Shut on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:20 am

I caught the latter half of The Pervert's Guide to Cinema on TV last night. My head hurts.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:26 pm

I finally watched Tideland and I think it's the most disturbing feel-good-movie ever. (Probably the only disturbing feel-good-movie ever!)

It's a wonderful masterpiece and I love how every single part of it, that is for us adults one disturbing kick in the nuts is for the girl in the movie...nothing! A 12 year old girl and a mentally disabled adult are about to kiss each other? EEEEEEW! But for them it's nothing bad or even special. Seriously, this movie has almost everything you NEVER wanted to see in a movie and yet it makes you for any reason feel good.
And I think that the girl who plays the main role might be THE best child actor around right now! Holy shit, she even was the girl(s) in Silent Hill! I hope she won't become a drug addict or something, because she has real talent and might be one of greatest actors around! She already has more talent than many Oscar-winners of the last few years have TOGETHER!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:25 pm

The Family Snoresville *ahem* Stone

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wow, I think they tried to come up with every possible issue a household could possibly have - it was a dysfunctional overdose.

Dermot Mulroney's character being so quickly smitten with Clare Danes was just not feasible. Just a big cheese fest.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:36 pm

That movie is one my holiday guilty pleasures. I have no idea why, but I like it. We've watched it the past two Christmases in a row.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:10 pm

I've been running through DEXTER season 1 all weekend.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Vegeta on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

I watched Spiderman 3 last night on Starz for the first time. Wow, am I glad I didn't spend any money on that flick. What a mess! I kept thinking to myself "these are the same folks who made Spiderman 2?". The pacing is horrible, the story is horrible, they try to cram too much in so everything feels like a plot device. The only cool FX were Sandman, but the story arc was :roll: . Terrible film... I hope they don't make another.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:58 pm

Zarles wrote:That movie is one my holiday guilty pleasures. I have no idea why, but I like it. We've watched it the past two Christmases in a row.

I watch the Grinch! :twisted: :twisted:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:20 pm

Maui wrote:
Zarles wrote:That movie is one my holiday guilty pleasures. I have no idea why, but I like it. We've watched it the past two Christmases in a row.

Please tell me you don't mean the Jim Carrey 'movie'. Otherwise, you might be dead to me.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:37 pm

Zarles wrote:
Maui wrote:

Please tell me you don't mean the Jim Carrey 'movie'. Otherwise, you might be dead to me.

No, Boris Karloff all the way!!!
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Maui wrote:No, Boris Karloff all the way!!!

:: puts back the last can of Who Hash at Maui's house ::
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:20 am

Back in the way back whens...

Brocktune wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:"Kwaidan" my friends, "Kwaidan". Directed by Masaki Kobayashi. Get in some herb and enjoy. This guy locked himself in a aircraft hanger for like a year and built his sets for this movie. It'll be your new favourite movie for at least a week, or two.

you speak sooth, magicmonkey. kwaidan is in fact super awesome. the last story is a bit of a trip, but in a good way. hoichi the earless is visual poetry. well worth checking out.

Hmm. If I had noted that then, instead of waiting for it to tumble back into my sights nearly three years later, I might not have wasted those years on cheap living, booze, and conscripting Venezuelan hookers into My Little Pony fetishistic operatas, like I so sorrowfully did.

Meh, or not quite.

I know I certainly take more note of things now, than I even did then, yet still I do wish sometimes that these little recomendations and opinions we pass among ourselves would sometimes be able to relay something more of the impact and immersiveness of things we find ourselves dissusing and not somehow seem so easyily transient in comparrison.

I might try to review it, but it'd do little of us any good, safe to say Kwaidan is one of the most compelling films I've watched all year. Both the magicmonkey and the reverend are both truthtelling and hairily generous, respectively.

If I had to make a list of my favourite films seen, new or old, at the end of the year, I would imagine it would find itself somewhere on such a list.

Auterism at it's most atmospheric and mesmirising, if you haven't seen it already and you like asian cinema, old school suspensefull horror, beautific craftsmanship of sight and sound, venezuelan hookers, hairymagicpriestmonkeys, or, um, any combination thereof, do you as will, guys, but don't wait three years if you can help it.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:56 am

so I hate to follow up Flumm's astute thoughts on the brilliant Kwaidan with a film that doesn't even deserve to be written up at all...but seeing how we had at least 5 topics started on the damned thing (of which an advanced search returned 0 hits) by various soulless spammers (who should really, really find better ways to spend their precious time), and seeing how one of the pull quotes was from AICN calling it "the future of horror", well, I suppose The Signal deserves a word or two.

crap.

utter crap.

oh sure, it had some moments, but with the hackneyed style (I'm now officially bored with films showing deserted streets in major cities), the all too typical horror reliance on relatively smart characters doing stupid things (so there's mass chaos, people killing each other willy-nilly, and you come across some dude taped to a chair...why oh sweet merciful Zeus why would you untape them? Ya' think maybe, just maybe, someone might've tied 'em up for a reason?), and the schizophrenic plotting (3 writer-directors each handle one of the three segments of the film), The Signal gamely tries but can't raise itself above it's limitations.

I kinda liked the middle segment best, as whichever writer-director who handled that bit showed some solid comedic chops for a little while until the plot contrivances kicked in, but overall, I give The Signal the finger.

the middle one, in case you were wondering.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:38 pm

I watched the whole 1st Beavis & Butthead Mike Judge Collection. Surprise! B & B still holds up very well after all these years! Yes, it isn't really "shocking" anymore, but damn, it's still funny as hell.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:57 am

Just finished a testosterone triple bill of Commando, Sudden Impact, and Marked for Death. Damn, I love that Jimmy Cliff song(No Justice), in Marked For Death. Makes me want to go to the beach for some odd reason.

Definitely a Father's Day special

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:36 pm

Flumm wrote:Back in the way back whens...

Brocktune wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:"Kwaidan" my friends, "Kwaidan". Directed by Masaki Kobayashi. Get in some herb and enjoy. This guy locked himself in a aircraft hanger for like a year and built his sets for this movie. It'll be your new favourite movie for at least a week, or two.

you speak sooth, magicmonkey. kwaidan is in fact super awesome. the last story is a bit of a trip, but in a good way. hoichi the earless is visual poetry. well worth checking out.

Hmm. If I had noted that then, instead of waiting for it to tumble back into my sights nearly three years later, I might not have wasted those years on cheap living, booze, and conscripting Venezuelan hookers into My Little Pony fetishistic operatas, like I so sorrowfully did.

Meh, or not quite.

I know I certainly take more note of things now, than I even did then, yet still I do wish sometimes that these little recomendations and opinions we pass among ourselves would sometimes be able to relay something more of the impact and immersiveness of things we find ourselves dissusing and not somehow seem so easyily transient in comparrison.

I might try to review it, but it'd do little of us any good, safe to say Kwaidan is one of the most compelling films I've watched all year. Both the magicmonkey and the reverend are both truthtelling and hairily generous, respectively.

If I had to make a list of my favourite films seen, new or old, at the end of the year, I would imagine it would find itself somewhere on such a list.

Auterism at it's most atmospheric and mesmirising, if you haven't seen it already and you like asian cinema, old school suspensefull horror, beautific craftsmanship of sight and sound, venezuelan hookers, hairymagicpriestmonkeys, or, um, any combination thereof, do you as will, guys, but don't wait three years if you can help it.

Heheh, flashback! It will have been about 8 or 9 years since I last saw this, not sure if it warrants a re-watch just yet... but I did go back to "Bram Stokers Dracula" last night, a film I hadn't seen since 1992 at the cinema (possibly my first 18 certificate movie seen at the actual flicks). I remembered it being pap with plenty of tits and an interesting opening. On re watching, the opening was pap, the film was pretty much 90% pap. 99% of the acting was pap, it was like Francis took all the stars of the time, Keanu, Winoya (whatever the fuck her name is) and told them to act as though in their very first amateur dramatic lesson and the other 1% is Anthony Hopkins (yeah, believe it or not there was exactly 100 actors in this movie) and Hopkins was only alright.

The tits did come up to a high standard though. Seeing Monica Belluchi literally Belluching "all over" was a revelation - and a cinematic salve for all the gross mental flagellation this film inflicts. Sure it has some interesting cinematic moments, some great, but hokey artistic direction, but I can't help but feel as though all the 40% good bits were taken by Baz Luherman and put into his magical spin dryer where all manner of magical lint free, crisp, dry and fragrant previous good bits emerged as pure manic cinematic genius in all his movies. Sure, you could argue that the film was ahead of its time... but, fuck that, "La Bete at la Belle" did it all before, 5 times better with the retro-cinematic equivalent of having their hands tied round their backs and being all French.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:28 pm

if you glance over to the lef...no, wait, right, glance to the right, you'll notice one Mr. Tony Wilson, as portrayed by Rock Hudson, in John Frankenheimer's best film, "Seconds".

more prescient today than when it was released, so far ahead of it's time that it still looks futuristic, touching on and embracing elements of disparate genres in a heady post-modern mish-mash of styles, the third piece (and by far the least dated) of Frankenheimer's Thriller Trilogy, with a score by the great Jerry Goldsmith and cinematography from one of the G.o.a.T, one Mr. James Wong Howe, "Seconds" is intelligent, chilling, and features one of the most stunning climaxes in film history. Hudson, cast and playing against type, is a revelation in what is his undoubtedly his greatest film performance, playing the titular second who has (wait for it...) second thoughts about the Faustian bargain he...well, not he, not at the time, that would've been John Randolph as Arthur Hamilton, who Hudson was playing after...well, fuck it, see it for yourself. Spoiling anything would defeat the purpose. In fact, forget that "stunning climax" & "Faustian bargain" stuff while you're at it...what's that you say, you can't? The process of actively trying to forget something makes you remember it even more? Well fuckmygrits, how can I get you to be my second when I need one when you're only going to bitch and moan about your past memories coming back to haunt you and thus ensuring that you too will fail in your new life and then come sniveling back to the great corporate benefactors who, like Ouroboros...what's that, I'm giving even more away? Fuck you! I mean, by now you should've just stopped reading this convoluted failure of a meta-review and have hopped on whatever mode of transportation you have to go rent this movie anyway...what's that, you rent from Netflix you say? Well, at least it's not blockbuster.

now, if you glance to the lef...no, wait, right, glance to the right...

enough of that hoo-haw - look, people may say a film like this is cynical, but I find it rather life affirming. There are no second chances, so deal with what you've got and make the most of it, 'cuz it's the only chance you're going to get. "Seconds", while indeed satirizing the insidiously evil nature of the corporate capitalist structure as an Ouroboros type serpent that slowly eats itself, blames Arthur Hamilton for his faults, faults that, let's face it, are inherent in a lot of us...non-communication with loved ones, acquiescing to a life quiet desperation instead of doing something about it, looking for the easy way out instead of laboring away for it. It's a film made 40years ago that everyday seems all the more relevant.

check it.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:44 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:if you glance over to the lef...no, wait, right, glance to the right, you'll notice one Mr. Tony Wilson, as portrayed by Rock Hudson, in John Frankenheimer's best film, "Seconds".

more prescient today than when it was released, so far ahead of it's time that it still looks futuristic, touching on and embracing elements of disparate genres in a heady post-modern mish-mash of styles, the third piece (and by far the least dated) of Frankenheimer's Thriller Trilogy, with a score by the great Jerry Goldsmith and cinematography from one of the G.o.a.T, one Mr. James Wong Howe, "Seconds" is intelligent, chilling, and features one of the most stunning climaxes in film history. Hudson, cast and playing against type, is a revelation in what is his undoubtedly his greatest film performance, playing the titular second who has (wait for it...) second thoughts about the Faustian bargain he...well, not he, not at the time, that would've been John Randolph as Arthur Hamilton, who Hudson was playing after...well, fuck it, see it for yourself. Spoiling anything would defeat the purpose. In fact, forget that "stunning climax" & "Faustian bargain" stuff while you're at it...what's that you say, you can't? The process of actively trying to forget something makes you remember it even more? Well fuckmygrits, how can I get you to be my second when I need one when you're only going to bitch and moan about your past memories coming back to haunt you and thus ensuring that you too will fail in your new life and then come sniveling back to the great corporate benefactors who, like Ouroboros...what's that, I'm giving even more away? Fuck you! I mean, by now you should've just stopped reading this convoluted failure of a meta-review and have hopped on whatever mode of transportation you have to go rent this movie anyway...what's that, you rent from Netflix you say? Well, at least it's not blockbuster.

now, if you glance to the lef...no, wait, right, glance to the right...

enough of that hoo-haw - look, people may say a film like this is cynical, but I find it rather life affirming. There are no second chances, so deal with what you've got and make the most of it, 'cuz it's the only chance you're going to get. "Seconds", while indeed satirizing the insidiously evil nature of the corporate capitalist structure as an Ouroboros type serpent that slowly eats itself, blames Arthur Hamilton for his faults, faults that, let's face it, are inherent in a lot of us...non-communication with loved ones, acquiescing to a life quiet desperation instead of doing something about it, looking for the easy way out instead of laboring away for it. It's a film made 40years ago that everyday seems all the more relevant.

check it.

UM....

Seconded!

It really blows the mind and I'm interested that you saw it as life affirming KC, as I guess it kinda is in a dark, fucked up (Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone, malevolently taunting way) Perfect existentialist torture, with a subtlety that Hostel and its ilk sadly lack. As for KC's AV - NOW I know where it's from :LOL:
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:28 am

In memory of Stan Winston, Im going through his classic works.. Im watching PUMPKINHEAD right now...

Still one of the best and most unique monsters of all time.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby judderman on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:01 am

I just finished watching the entire first season of "Flight of the Conchords". I got into it after falling madly in love with Kristen Schaal (I'm weird, OK?), and she is, without a doubt, the best thing in this series. But then, I can't say I really enjoyed it all that much. I'm not a fan of anti-humour (where the jokes are funny because the punchlines aren't), and this show seemed to consist of long stretches of non-punchlines piled on top of each other. Plus, while I'm sure Bret and Jermaine are nice guys in real life, the characters they're playing here are so completely unsympathetic that I had difficulty caring what happened to them. By the end I was fast forwarding through the endless cringe-inducing social disasters, looking for Mel.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:03 am

Lucker

Last season of Top Gear
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:03 pm

judderman wrote:I just finished watching the entire first season of "Flight of the Conchords". I got into it after falling madly in love with Kristen Schaal (I'm weird, OK?), and she is, without a doubt, the best thing in this series. But then, I can't say I really enjoyed it all that much. I'm not a fan of anti-humour (where the jokes are funny because the punchlines aren't), and this show seemed to consist of long stretches of non-punchlines piled on top of each other. Plus, while I'm sure Bret and Jermaine are nice guys in real life, the characters they're playing here are so completely unsympathetic that I had difficulty caring what happened to them. By the end I was fast forwarding through the endless cringe-inducing social disasters, looking for Mel.

B4NN3D!
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby yorrick brown on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:55 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
judderman wrote:I just finished watching the entire first season of "Flight of the Conchords". I got into it after falling madly in love with Kristen Schaal (I'm weird, OK?), and she is, without a doubt, the best thing in this series. But then, I can't say I really enjoyed it all that much. I'm not a fan of anti-humour (where the jokes are funny because the punchlines aren't), and this show seemed to consist of long stretches of non-punchlines piled on top of each other. Plus, while I'm sure Bret and Jermaine are nice guys in real life, the characters they're playing here are so completely unsympathetic that I had difficulty caring what happened to them. By the end I was fast forwarding through the endless cringe-inducing social disasters, looking for Mel.

B4NN3D!

is it because they speak with a accent?.but they do Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbxA8a_M_s
Should I call you Bullet? Tooth?
You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby judderman on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:30 am

Oh no, I liked the music.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:33 am

DaleTremont wrote:

B4NN3D!

As a non-mod, I'd like to petition the mods to reinstate judderman..... so that he can be R3B4NN3D!!!!!

Probably the first person I've seen that didn't really like the show's humor..... but had a hard-on for Mel!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby hackett on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:46 pm

how we hardly knew the FOTC hater....

I've been watching a lot of Peter Sellers flicks lately... for whatever reason I never saw A Shot in the Dark fully until today. Amazing.
http://vimeo.com/pandachase - now in technicolor
hackett
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:28 pm

I watched Three On a Match/Female, films from the pre-code Hollywood days.

TOAM started off well enough, I suppose, but about halfway through it turned into a different movie completely. It was advertised as a movie about three childhood friends dealing with various issues in their adult lives, but it was really about how one of them (the wealthy snob) grows bored, leaves her husband, neglects her child, and then becomes destitute resulting in a poorly planned kidnapping plot that ends tragically. The most interesting bits were the peeks at Bette Davis and Humphry Bogart before they were stars, but in the end, I'm not sure what the hell this movie was supposed to be about exactly.

Female was about a woman who ran her own auto factory and was just as dominant in the bedroom. She goes through men like a box of tissues before meeting a designer who doesn't fall for her tricks. She can't help but fall in love with him and has a scene towards the end where she breaks down and cries in the boardroom and tells the men they can have the business world 'cause she needs love. I guess she agreed with her suitor when he said (paraphrase), "You think you're above being as a woman should? Women were made to get married and raise children, to have a family." And in the end she gives her business over to the man and says she wants to have 9 children. Wow. The movie was kind of fun to watch until the final 15 minutes or so. Then I lost all respect for the lead and the movie itself, but I guess it was of its time.

These movies are interesting examples of pre-Code Hollywood films that had female leads, but on their own merits they don't stand up very well. Last week when I watched Public Enemy I was more entertained.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:12 am

Just watched FLETCH LIVES for the first time and was surprised how much I liked it. I mean this was back in the '80s. When they made sequels it was like they wanted them to be shit. But I ended up enjoying it a bit more than the original and I liked the callbacks to Mr. Underhill and shit like that. Randall "Tex" Cobb is a great addition to any cast, so throwing him in there doesn't hurt. His first scene is fantastic. The plantation dream sequence was pretty good too.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:03 pm

RogueScribner wrote:These movies are interesting examples of pre-Code Hollywood films that had female leads...

The Hays Code, right?

that's some interesting film watching right there, if you see more, please, spill!

Wiki has some pretty nifty intel on pre-code films, and a list of them as well - I never knew that "Animal Crackers" only exists in its edited version.

fascinating stuff Rogue...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:46 pm

I watched KILLZONE last night..

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Sammo Hung vs Donnie Yen.

Triad boss getting under the skin of a detective who has brain cancer and not so long to live, and doing what ever he can to take the fucker down!

The movie hearkens back to the WOO era of Hong Kong Cinema and the perfect mix of Crime Drama and Martial arts action.

AND FUCKING SAMMO HUNG VS DONNIE YEN!!!! JESUS TAPDANCIN CHRIST! possibly the greatest fight on screen in the last 10 years!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:35 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:so I hate to follow up Flumm's astute thoughts on the brilliant Kwaidan with a film that doesn't even deserve to be written up at all...but seeing how we had at least 5 topics started on the damned thing (of which an advanced search returned 0 hits) by various soulless spammers (who should really, really find better ways to spend their precious time), and seeing how one of the pull quotes was from AICN calling it "the future of horror", well, I suppose The Signal deserves a word or two.

crap.

utter crap.

oh sure, it had some moments, but with the hackneyed style (I'm now officially bored with films showing deserted streets in major cities), the all too typical horror reliance on relatively smart characters doing stupid things (so there's mass chaos, people killing each other willy-nilly, and you come across some dude taped to a chair...why oh sweet merciful Zeus why would you untape them? Ya' think maybe, just maybe, someone might've tied 'em up for a reason?), and the schizophrenic plotting (3 writer-directors each handle one of the three segments of the film), The Signal gamely tries but can't raise itself above it's limitations.

I kinda liked the middle segment best, as whichever writer-director who handled that bit showed some solid comedic chops for a little while until the plot contrivances kicked in, but overall, I give The Signal the finger.

the middle one, in case you were wondering.

I will agree with a lot of what you're saying...
I didn't hate it as much as you did...but I might've had some better dope...so who knows...

I agree that the middle was the highlight for the most part...even though it felt out of place in the film...
The opening was kinda cool...with the bad horror film scene opening it up...and the initial outburst of violence in the hallway, with the garden shears, was kinda nice...

The 3rd segment for the most part was up it's own ass...and it really made everything even more pointless...

I will also agree with the stupid decisions complaint...another one I'll throw in was the girl throwing her discman on and cranking the tunes while she's trying to escape...
Because who needs to hear what's going on when you're surrounded by psychos...?

I would've liked to see a much more distinctive style from all 3 filmmakers for each of their segments...
Otherwise it just feels like it doesn't know exactly what kind of film it wants to be...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:55 pm

havocSchultz wrote:but I might've had some better dope...so who knows...

no, you don't. I'll put my purple up in a Pepsi challenge against anything you've got...

havocSchultz wrote:The opening was kinda cool...with the bad horror film scene opening it up...and the initial outburst of violence in the hallway, with the garden shears, was kinda nice...

yeah, it had some moments - and I was probably too hard on the first segment.

havocSchultz wrote:another one I'll throw in was the girl throwing her discman on and cranking the tunes while she's trying to escape...
Because who needs to hear what's going on when you're surrounded by psychos...?

ugh...I was trying to forget that.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby yorrick brown on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:01 pm

total recall :D

"Sweet heart, be reasonable. After all, we're married"

bang

"Consider that a divorce."

i loved it!.Awesome movie.
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 am

Been watching SWEENEY TODD cuz it's the shit and whatnot.

Also watched NACHO LIBRE again and I think it's pretty underrated. I think in a few years it'll be more appreciated.
caruso_stalker217

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:56 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:but I might've had some better dope...so who knows...

no, you don't. I'll put my purple up in a Pepsi challenge against anything you've got...

I will trust you on that...for now...
But for the most part I figured I had to do something to get your attention...

But I did have some hash recently that was fucking amazing...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:06 am

Was watching 'End of days' last night. I nearly puked it was that bad.

It certainly did fill like the end of the world was coming. It was so bad I had to flick between that and 'The bone collector'. I think it made it just about tollerable.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:18 pm

Airwolf: Season 1
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:15 pm

I watched "Charlie Bartlett". I enjoyed it too. It had the usual high school tropes, just to a different soundtrack, but the film owes as much to Hal Ashby's "Harold and Maude" (I won't elaborate, otherwise I'd only spoil the fun), a film which could be described as being a little off centre, so fair play. It also attempts a passable pastiche of Jonathan Kaplan's rebellious teen movie "Over the Edge" in its juvenile demonstrations, anger and delinquency, but sadly doesn't quite go over the edge enough for me (well, not like this smiley - :lol:) , otherwise the film would have rocked my socks. Still, it was close and I feel better for watching it.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Maui on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:06 pm

JAWS

This movie is just as funny as it is scary. I love Dreyfuss in this movie. He just cracks me up. His dynamic with Shaw is classic.
Even though I've seen this movie so many times - the underwater camera work of limbs moving about still freaks me out.

Breakfast on Pluto

Just a really quirky tale with an outstanding performance by Cillian Murphy. Killer soundtrack too.
This movie is not everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it.
Maui
WoWie

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:58 pm

I bought CLOVERFIELD a few weeks back because I hadn't seen it since it first came out and I watched it today to see if I still liked it or if it would turn out to be a huge pile of shit. Luckily I still like it. Even with all the fuckin Felicities jabbering on about their One Tree Hill shit.
caruso_stalker217

Postby yorrick brown on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:02 am

black dahlia ,very meh.I hate when josh harnetts gets that look on his face in his movies like he`s just sucked on a lemon .
yorrick brown
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:19 pm

Today I watched the several award winning movie Freddy Got Fingered on TV and I seriously enjoyed it most of the time. Okay, I don't know what the point was of Tom Green stopping his car, just to touch a horses penis, but I love the absurdity of the humor that was going on in the movie. We can discuss if the last 5 minutes, where Green and his dad are being captured in a foreign country are really necessary and if it shouldn't stop at an earlier point, but again: The whole absurdity of the sequence works for me!
And now the weird thing: I seriously can identify with Green's character and I think everybody, who tried to live his dreams but lives with a less than unsupportive family and is forced to do jobs that he doesn't like, can!
7/10 (Yes, 7/10. And 10 means very good.)

Another worst film ever that I've recently checked out is In The Name Of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale. It's not as enjoyable as 'Freddy Got Fingered', but I know worse movies for a lazy sunday afternoon. It's better than 'Dungeons & Dragons'. Imagine an 2 hour episode of Xena, without Xena and the silly but loveable (intentional)humor, but with a budget that makes it look like a movie. I think the biggest problem with it was that it was the heavily trimmed theatrical version. I remember reading anywhere that its original runtime was something about 3 hours, but Boll cut it down to 2 hours and plans to release the long version on DVD one day. I hope so, because there are so many sequences where I thought: "Hm, this feels like it was supposed to go longer." Jason Statham fits surprisingly well into a LOTR-esque fantasy world and unfortunately he, Ron Perlman and John Rhys-Davies (obviously) are the only ones who don't feel miscast. Don't get me wrong, Ray Liotta as the evil wizard tries, but he feels out of place. And Burt Reynolds doesn't feels like a king.
There is a huge battle sequence, which isn't as epic as any of the LOTR battles, mostly because it takes place in a forest, but is still pretty entertaining. It's choreographed pretty good and it got NINJAS! How great is this! (There are even some african americans in the movie who are NOT Wayans Brothers [or token black guys in general), which also doesn't happen very often in modern fantasy movies, but the Ninjas were more memorable.) Oh, and if you belong to the fucktards who think that the ending of 'Return Of The King' feels too long, you will LOVE the ending here! Ray Liotta gets killed, Statham gets his wife back, they kiss, wife says 'I love you' and the end credits roll. And as much as I like 2 of the 3 songs in the end credits of the LOTR movies (is there anybody who likes the Björk-crying in the 2nd movie?), Uwe Boll put songs by Blind Guardian and Hammerfall in the end titles which beats all of them!
6/10
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:20 pm

I don't think DUNGEON SIEGE is interesting enough for a lazy Sunday. I thought it dragged quite a bit. Though it was kinda weird to see a halfway professional Boll picture.
caruso_stalker217

Postby bluebottle on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:35 pm

I had this hankering to watch Rosemary's Baby, and my gf had never seen it, so we watched it last night.

I figured my gf knew what the plot was about, but when Guy comes home and says to Rosemary, "Let's have a baby!" my gf turned to me and said, "Why don't you ever come home and say that to me?" I thought, "Awesome... She knows NOTHING!"

2 hours later, she took back her comment.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray