What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Betamax and beyond

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:05 pm

bluebottle wrote:I had this hankering to watch Rosemary's Baby, and my gf had never seen it, so we watched it last night.

I figured my gf knew what the plot was about, but when Guy comes home and says to Rosemary, "Let's have a baby!" my gf turned to me and said, "Why don't you ever come home and say that to me?" I thought, "Awesome... She knows NOTHING!"

2 hours later, she took back her comment.

Oh man, that's fucking rich!

I can't imagine her uncomfortableness as that movie progressed...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby bluebottle on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:41 pm

She kind of... She wasn't very responsive through the film, which is not normal for her (she's a real "Oh man!" "Oh god!" reaction-type person) and I didn't look at her much through the film (I can't take my eyes off the screen, and I barely make a sound during a movie) but I did make a point to look at her during the whole "What have you done to his eyes?" "He has his father's eyes" "What are you talking about? Guy's eyes are normal!" bit - and she looked pretty horrified.

After the movie, she just sort of went "What the fuck was that?"

I can't tell if she enjoyed it or not.

I certainly did!

I have no clue as to the number of times I've seen that film, but I can always watch it without feeling like I've seen it before... God, it's so fantastic.

Hail Adrian!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:03 pm

Rewatched Batman Begins..

FUCK I love this movie and cant wait for DARK KNIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liam Neeson as Ras Al Ghul has to be the GREATEST BIT OF CASTING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:08 am

I recently watched Segio Leone's trilogy of Eastwood westerns. I liked A Fistful of Dollars well enough, didn't particularly care for For a Few Dollars More, and thought The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, while entertaining overall, took a little long to get to the point. Greatest trilogy of all time? Not really. But they were interesting to watch. And now I can say I've seen them.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:24 am

Despite beginning, and ending, with a nifty bit of meta-filmical whimsy (Plummer as Kipling), THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING nevertheless had a couple of major handicaps against it considering my own rather liberal-on-steroids worldview. As a rule, I despise Freemasons (something Alan Moore’s brilliant “From Hell” merely exacerbated in my conspiracy theory, trust no secret society paranoid stoner self) and both imperialism and imperialistic fiction (despite each own having there own merit). Yes, I suppose, bringing the darkies into the 19th going on 20th century had some tangible benefits for the brutally oppressed, and, yeah, I gotta admit, adventuring tales involving exotic lands, overwhelming odds and acts of chivalry and brotherhood do make for some rip-snorting fiction. But, generally, they make me feel rather uncomfortable and amplify my own already sizable white guilt over the white man’s perceived burden.

So despite starring both Michael Caine and Sean Connery, despite being directed by the irascible curmudgeon John Huston, I wasn’t quite sure if I could even make through the film without either smashing some (not so)valuable possession in a pique of pointless contrition for the sins of my cracker ass cracker forefathers (well, maybe not mine in particular, but still…) or constantly cringing at the surely stereotypical depiction of backwards indigenous idiots.

But by “God's holy trousers!”, it turns out ace filmmaking, a great script and two (three, factually, if we include the iconic Ghurka turn by Saeed Jaffrey as Billy Fish) rousing performances can dispel all that bullshit right quick, ‘cuz THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING, despite a dry patch or two, is one hell of a flick.

What was most pleasing to my admittedly overly touchy on the subject of race self was the sly digs Huston took at our own Victorian culture of the time, with Caine’s dulcet cockney really bringing to life such sly satirical jabs like the following…

“Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.”

It’s Caine’s delightful turn as Peachy Carnehan, a former soldier of the Empire, upstanding Freemason, and devilishly charming con artist with a sizable class conscious chip on his shoulder that did the trick for me; despite my own prejudice against that type of character, even I could not be swayed by what Caine did with that character, making him someone I cared so desperately for, wanted so badly to succeed in his grand schemes.

An action adventure tall tale and a sage stab at imperialism revisionism, the film is an absolute delight, and I’m elated that I finally put my own prejudices aside and got to enjoy a hell of a film
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:22 am

bluebottle wrote:I had this hankering to watch Rosemary's Baby, and my gf had never seen it, so we watched it last night.

I figured my gf knew what the plot was about, but when Guy comes home and says to Rosemary, "Let's have a baby!" my gf turned to me and said, "Why don't you ever come home and say that to me?" I thought, "Awesome... She knows NOTHING!"

One of the best thrillers ever made. I love that movie!!!

RogueScribner wrote:I recently watched Segio Leone's trilogy of Eastwood westerns. I liked A Fistful of Dollars well enough, didn't particularly care for For a Few Dollars More, and thought The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, while entertaining overall, took a little long to get to the point. Greatest trilogy of all time? Not really. But they were interesting to watch. And now I can say I've seen them.

I love those films so much. I can't understand how you can downgrade them like that. The GBU takes a long time to get to the point? Confused by that statement. To each his own I guess.

Yesterday I watched two docs:

Gonzo: The Life and work of Hunter S Thompson (2008): This is probably my favorite doc about Hunter so far. Def something Dr Thompson fans will want to add to their Gonzo collections.

Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures (2001): I have to admit Im not the biggest Kube fan (I like 3 or 4 of his films) but theres no denying he was a cinematic genius and really cool, interesting person. An excellent doc about him and his films.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:43 am

Amongst others I saw...

Jumpers - Anakin is again played by a younger boy maturing into Hayden Christensen, who learns he can space travel at whim. Billy Elliot can too. They have many japes and I kinda did too.

The Signal - Some good atmosphere at the start, some out there crazy shit in the middle and then an ending bit nicked off Brazil.

Hatchet - Most excellent gore and deaths which are worth rewatching and howling with glee at.

Sex in the City - Teh Movie - Nearly puked for the first 40mins, was then forced to reingest it and actually felt my cock start retreating into my body cavity and, just as it began splitting into lips... the film ended.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:48 am

magicmonkey wrote:Amongst others I saw...Sex in the City - Teh Movie - Nearly puked for the first 40mins, was then forced to reingest it and actually felt my cock start retreating into my body cavity and, just as it began splitting into lips... the film ended.

ROTFL!! :lol:
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:34 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:

3rded! There is no replacing Ruth Gordon, John Cassavetes, and especially no replacing Mia Farrow!! (Do you hear that, stupid Platinum Dunes? Don't touch Rosemary's Baby!)

RogueScribner wrote:I recently watched Segio Leone's trilogy of Eastwood westerns. I liked A Fistful of Dollars well enough, didn't particularly care for For a Few Dollars More, and thought The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, while entertaining overall, took a little long to get to the point. Greatest trilogy of all time? Not really. But they were interesting to watch. And now I can say I've seen them.

Well you're on your way. However your journey is not complete until you've seen Once Upon a Time in the West.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:57 pm

or YOJIMBO!!!!!!!!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:44 am

John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13

I saw the remake from a few years ago first, so that probably clouds my judgment a bit. I liked this version, but I couldn't help but compare it to the newer version, which I prefer. The original had some cool characters and great bits of action, but I liked the story and the build of the remake better. The original seems awfully disjointed, especially in the beginning, but that could be due to its low budget nature (ya gotta work with what ya got). I also was confused by the title of the original, as it didn't really seem to apply. Ha ha.

JC's AoP13: 6/10
The Remake: 7/10
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:44 am

WinslowLeach wrote:

I love those films so much. I can't understand how you can downgrade them like that. The GBU takes a long time to get to the point? Confused by that statement. To each his own I guess.

Gonzo: The Life and work of Hunter S Thompson (2008): This is probably my favorite doc about Hunter so far. Def something Dr Thompson fans will want to add to their Gonzo collections.

Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures (2001): I have to admit Im not the biggest Kube fan (I like 3 or 4 of his films) but theres no denying he was a cinematic genius and really cool, interesting person. An excellent doc about him and his films.

HOW IN THE FUCK DID YOU GET A COPY OF GONZO?????????????????
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:55 am

WTF? I just wrote a nice little blurb on SNATCH and it went off into la la land. :x

Anyways, loved this movie. Incredibly funny. Out of the great cast of characters, I think Alan Ford was my favourite. Brat Pitt was really good in this as well. The dynamic between Turkish and Tommy was quite fun. The 3 thugs in the car with the squeaky pitbull, too freakin' funny. Just a brilliant movie.

I just may have to buy this. Definitely something I'd watch over and over again.

I guess they call them caravans over in the UK, eh? I call it a trailer.
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:46 pm

Maui wrote:WTF? I just wrote a nice little blurb on SNATCH and it went off into la la land. :x

Anyways, loved this movie. Incredibly funny. Out of the great cast of characters, I think Alan Ford was my favourite. Brat Pitt was really good in this as well. The dynamic between Turkish and Tommy was quite fun. The 3 thugs in the car with the squeaky pitbull, too freakin' funny. Just a brilliant movie.

I just may have to buy this. Definitely something I'd watch over and over again.

I guess they call them caravans over in the UK, eh? I call it a trailer.

"whats wrong with this one?"

PULLS DOOR OF CARAVAN...

"oh, nothing tommy. its TIP TOP"

MY LOVE OF ALL THINGS JASON STATHAM STEM FROM THIS FILM
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:17 pm

Two even shorter than usual reviews of my two last watched DVDs:

Runaway Train: Good movie, but I expected more of it. Jon Voight was brillant, Eric Roberts was good, Rebecca DeMornay was useless and the last 20 minutes or so where, when the movie became real great. The last image before the end credits made me almost cry, so fucking great is the ending.

Bender's Big Score: It's almost everything I ever loved about Futurama. It uses usual SciFi plot devices (Here: Time Travel) for complete absurdity, is hilarious as something very hilarious and touching, without being too touching. (Sorry, I think that "Jurassic Bark" was the worst episode of the whole series, so it's good that the end of Lars didn't become such a cry-apalooza. Comedies shouldn't be too sad*, even if it's just for a few moments.)

*I'm okay with it when it happens in 'Scrubs', because they established that style in episode 1, while Futurama was for 2 or 3 seasons a non-stop laugh generator, that suddenly became several times depressing, without any good reason. (Or so many sitcoms that suddenly had "very special episodes". :roll: )
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:09 pm

bastard_robo wrote:

PULLS DOOR OF CARAVAN...

Yeah. I have an affection for Mr. Statham myself. :oops:

I love it when Turkish says to Tommy, nothing's wrong with it, just needs a paint job.

That scene with the Pitbull eating the squeaky toy, oh man. The one driver, the studly dude, just too freakin' funny. He wouldn't park in that one spot, where there was obviously plenty of room, he smashes the car in front of him.

This movie was just so clever. I think Ritchie's best films are definitely "Snatch" and "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels". I really like "Revolver" but after seeing Ritchie's earlier stuff, clearly it's his better work.
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Maui wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:

PULLS DOOR OF CARAVAN...

Yeah. I have an affection for Mr. Statham myself. :oops:

I love it when Turkish says to Tommy, nothing's wrong with it, just needs a paint job.

That scene with the Pitbull eating the squeaky toy, oh man. The one driver, the studly dude, just too freakin' funny. He wouldn't park in that one spot, where there was obviously plenty of room, he smashes the car in front of him.

This movie was just so clever. I think Ritchie's best films are definitely "Snatch" and "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels". I really like "Revolver" but after seeing Ritchie's earlier stuff, clearly it's his better work.

I remember ditching school in the 10TH grade to go see SNATCH. It was a triple threat week, as I ditched the next day and went with my grandmother to see CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON, and took her to see O BROTHER WERE ART THOUGH at the end of the week.

...AND THE ICING ON THE CAKE FOR SNATCH, THE FUCKING FLUTE in the score. In the commentary, RITCHIE even says that he cant get enough of that flute...
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:59 pm

Oh definitely, the soundtrack definitely enhances this movie and moves it forward quite cleverly! Good gangsta tunes.
Maui
WoWie

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:09 pm

I watched Snatch again a few months ago, it is a riot.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:30 am

magicmonkey wrote:I watched Snatch again a few months ago, it is a riot.

Indeed it is, I picked up the DVD tonight at Best Buy. $9.00 - not bad.
Maui
WoWie

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:41 am

bastard_robo wrote:
WinslowLeach wrote:

HOW IN THE FUCK DID YOU GET A COPY OF GONZO?????????????????

I got connects yo. Connects! :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:12 am

This morning was Safety Patrol on TV. A Disney Channel movie by Savage Steve Holland. In one scene the bad guys make Weird Al Yankovic cry, by stealing his balloon. I almost peed myself from laughing this morning. :lol: It's not an overall good movie, but when it hits, it hits damn hard!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:24 am

YOU SCURVY RAT BASTARD!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:02 pm

Currently watching Miller's Crossing. It's been a while! Was looking through my DVDs tonight trying to decide what I fancied watching. Glad I picked this, I'd forgotten just how much I love this flick.

The whole cast is top notch and note perfect, with Steve Buscemi's brief cameo being an absolute joy to watch. The story twists and turns as Sam double crosses and turns people against each other, all to reach the perfect conclusion. Even big boss Leo (Albert Finney on fine form) is fooled by the end, thinking Sam had it all planned out from the start. But as the viewer knows, Sam just played every angle that came his way, all the time hoping it would pay off. Gambling with life. And that's how Sam likes it.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:12 pm

Tonight I've watched Amadeus: Director's Cut. It's rare that a long film made longer is an improvement, but here I think it counts. Hearing all that amazing music is just one lure with this flick, but seeing F. Murray Abraham's amazing performances as Sallieri is one of those rare cinematic joys - someone completely immersed in the character and their mindset. It's captivating to watch Sallieri try his damndest to bring down Mozart. Okay, so most of the flick doesn't stand up to historical scrutiny, but it's a compelling story nonetheless and one that any true lover of cinema can't fail to get something out of.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:42 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:Tonight I've watched Amadeus: Director's Cut. It's rare that a long film made longer is an improvement, but here I think it counts. Hearing all that amazing music is just one lure with this flick, but seeing F. Murray Abraham's amazing performances as Sallieri is one of those rare cinematic joys - someone completely immersed in the character and their mindset. It's captivating to watch Sallieri try his damndest to bring down Mozart. Okay, so most of the flick doesn't stand up to historical scrutiny, but it's a compelling story nonetheless and one that any true lover of cinema can't fail to get something out of.

Its been soooo long since I last saw this, perhaps when I was a little 'un, am looking forward to tracking down this directors cut. Is there much in the way of extras on the DVD?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:29 am

Im feeling kinda good today, so I'm watching a movie that always makes me smile..

— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:21 am

So I definately made a good call in renting a critically-acclaimed movie I've wanted to rent for ages that is made by a man widely regarded as a genius and who's other works I greatly enjoy.

The Bad Sleep Well is one hell of a perfect movie. I find my working through Kurosawa's catalogue is something I do in sparse installments. I rent one or two of this guy's movies a year and never go on Kurosawa marathons, but I do really like his filmmaking. Maybe his work is a like a box of chocolates, I know how many there are and want to savour them and save them for special occasions such Thursday (last night) when I've got nothing else to do.

Anyway, since I don't see his movies that often it's hard to compare them, but I think this one definately has the best dialogue and acting of any of his films I've seen. Normally his movies are full of well built samurai moments, but sparse on talking, except for Hidden Fortress where they just bicker the whole movie. But this one felt like his most character-driven.

The Bad Sleep Well felt more like some Michael Mann movie like The Insider or something the way the plot would be sailing along and you're sitting there wondering where it's going to go next and then some long character moment happens and you're even more grateful for that than if you'd been given the next key plot twist. My favorite is a long dialogue moment where two grown men stand around in a pile of rubble reflecting on their lifelong friendship and how different they were since childhood. There's all sorts of stuff in this movie that could've been cut and the story would've still made sense but you're so glad they didn't cut it.

Also, Mifune's got this awesome whistling thing he does that reminded me of Bronson's harmonica in Once Upon a Time In The West. That was dope, yo.

The directing is also top notch. This is the second modern urban Kurosawa movie I've seen (the other being Stray Dog) and in this one he does a great job with city streets and office interiors.

The only thing that bugged me at times was the music. But all movies in those times had overwrought music. I just found some times the music in this movie reflected all this gaiety and merryment that wasn't really going on on screen. When the music wasn't all happy skipping tunish it was pretty good. I think a Blade Runner style jazz score would've been more awesome, but again, we're dealing with a movie made in 1960 and this type of score was pretty normal then.

So, overall, this might be my favorite of Kurosawa's so far. Great plot, great character developement, awesome dialogue (well Criterion wrote some good stuff for the subtitles, I don't speak Japanese so I'll take their word for it), great visuals. Perfectomondo!

So far I've seen:

Yojimbo
Sanjuro
Seven Samurai
Ran
Hidden Fortress
Stray Dog
The Bad Sleep Well

I think next I'll go for Throne of Blood
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:11 pm

I must see Gonzo. Breakfast with Hunter is a Gem also.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:13 pm

i saw a movie this weekend called A Rage in Placid Lake.

i really couldn't stand this movie. and the more i think about it, the more i dislike it. first of all, contrary to what the title might lead you to believe, it's not a slasher movie that takes place in a former site of the Winter Olympics. Placid Lake is actually the name of the main character. that was the first thing that made me groan. roger ebert came up with the law of funny names, which is that they are almost never funny, and are a sign of desperation by the screenwriter, and this movie is a perfect example of that law. there's no reason for the character to be named Placid Lake, except to make the strained and obvious metaphor about a person with a lot of anger and rage roiling beneath a seemingly calm surface. sadly, the name was necessary to make that point, because you'd never get it from the story or, especially, from the acting (more on that later). so every time someone referred to the character by name (which was a lot) i winced at the reminder of just how obvious and inept it was.

i think there should be a new rule: no more movies about precociously clever teenagers with quirky or odd names. we've had ferris bueller, we've had napoleon dynamite, we've had juno... i think that's enough. if you're writing a screenplay and your character's name is so incredibly witty and clever that you have to include it in the movie's title... then the name is not nearly as witty or clever as you think it is. and your movie probably isn't as smart or clever as you think it is either. this film was nowhere near as clever as the writer and/or director obviously thought it was.

i guess a basic plot description is in order. basically, "placid" is a high school kid who has just graduated, played by Ben Lee, the funny-looking australian musician, who is a garden-variety "weird kid", non-conformist, whatever you want to call him. his "non-conformity" generally consists of annoying his hippie parents and pissing off the bullies who chase him around and give him beatings, and hanging out with his supersmart nerdy girl friend (not girlfriend, just "girl friend"). after a particularly bad beating, he decides to try to fit in, by getting an office job at an insurance agency. and that's about it. between that description and the title, you can pretty much imagine exactly what this film is, and you'd be right, except it's probably a bit worse than that.

because, for one thing, every single character except the lead and his friend are caricatures and cliches. the hippie parents: check! the school bullies, one of whom is a repressed homosexual: check! the inept boss, the annoying office guy, the cold-as-steel career-shark female co-worker: check! none of these characters have ANY originality or any semblance to a real person, they exist solely to provide something for the lead to bounce off of. and since the lead character is thoroughly unlikeable, that doesn't help. we're obviously supposed to sympathize or relate to him, but since everything he does is completely antagonistic and sometimes just plain mean, you end up rooting for the bullies to beat him up again. the only bright spot is his best friend, gemma, who's played with exceptionally cute geekiness by rose byrne. maybe if the movie was about her, and the other characters were given a semblance of personality, it would've made for a better film.

finally, i have to talk about ben lee. i don't have an opinion on his music one way or another, i've heard some of his stuff, and there are a few songs of his i've liked. but he REALLY needs to stick to music. acting is NOT his thing. the reason a character like ferris bueller works is because, despite being obnoxious and smug, matthew broderick was able to give him enough charm and intelligence to make you root for him. napoleon dynamite, if it worked for you (and it worked for me), it did so because jon heder just totally disappeared inside that character, and however unlikeable he may have been, at least it seemed real. ben lee just doesn't have what it takes to do either. he definitely gets the smug and obnoxious down, but that's it... no charm or any hint of a deeper emotional reality going on. that "rage" that we're supposed to sense beneath his placid surface is never conveyed through the performance. so we're just left with the smug, self-satisfied shell of a person, and a vanity performance by lee. on top of that, ben lee is just funny looking. his face is too long. between that and his "funny" name, it completely distracts from what's going on in the movie.

despite all this, there are a few jokes here and there that work and made me chuckle, and rose byrne was definitely hot and gave a good performance. that's about all the movie had to offer. basically, the lessons everyone involved should take away from this film:
1) if you're writing a screenplay, and you realize one of the characters has a really funny or clever name, and especially if that name also appears in the title... crumple it up, throw it in the trash, and start all over again. it's your only hope.
2) ben lee should never act in another movie ever again.
3) someone out there needs to give rose byrne a decent part in a decent film.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:56 pm

TheBaxter wrote:roger ebert came up with the law of funny names, which is that they are almost never funny, and are a sign of desperation by the screenwriter

And yet he couldn't resist sucking the cock of a film featuring a character named Juno MacGuff. And Mac MacGuff. And Liberty Bell MacGuff.

Fucking JUNO anyway.

And I agree. The world needs more Rose Byrne.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:16 pm

I actually think Juno could've pushed things even further by making the lead character named Nancy and calling the film Preg-Nancy! (with that exclamation mark of course)

I also think lotsa of action movies with one word title should just add John to them to make the main character's name:

John Commando
John Highlander
John Spartan (Stallone did play a guy named John Spartan in Demolition Man but then Val Kilmer made another movie actually called Spartan in which his character had a different name)
John Ronin
John Cobra
John Rawdeal
John Roadhouse
John Flashdance
John Topgun
John Payback
John Transporter
John Oldboy

It works like 90% of the time. Fuck, next time I apply for a job I'm putting Johnny Undisputed at the top of my resume.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby tapehead on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:34 pm

TheBaxter wrote:roger ebert came up with the law of funny names, which is that they are almost never funny, and are a sign of desperation by the screenwriter

Was this before or after he wrote 'Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens'?

Rage in Placid Lake pre-dates Napoleon Dynamite by at least four years.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:21 am

tapehead wrote:

Was this before or after he wrote 'Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens'?

Rage in Placid Lake pre-dates Napoleon Dynamite by at least four years.

i wouldn't really compare it to napoleon dynamite except 1) the quirky character name and 2) the unlikeability of the lead. otherwise, they're quite different.

and regardless of when it came out, it sucks balls.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby tapehead on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:35 am

It was pretty weak - I didn't dislike Ben Lee's performance quite as much as you seemed to Bax, but i think it was a big mistake to cast an untried actor in a lead role, and it sinks the whole movie. I sort of thought there was some good ideas in the script, but Lee couldn't carry it.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:15 am

I haven't seen this Placid Lake movie, but I'll say that Juno, Napoleon Dynamite, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off are three films with smug off-beat adolescents as title characters that ARE NOTHING ALIKE.

I actually liked all three of those movies, though I think if I watch Napoleon Dynamite a second time I'd probably hate myself.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:33 am

tapehead wrote:It was pretty weak - I didn't dislike Ben Lee's performance quite as much as you seemed to Bax, but i think it was a big mistake to cast an untried actor in a lead role, and it sinks the whole movie. I sort of thought there was some good ideas in the script, but Lee couldn't carry it.

i noticed on IMDb that it was his first role, and he hasn't done any other acting before or since. that's probably wise.

Spandau Belly wrote:I haven't seen this Placid Lake movie, but I'll say that Juno, Napoleon Dynamite, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off are three films with smug off-beat adolescents as title characters that ARE NOTHING ALIKE.

I actually liked all three of those movies, though I think if I watch Napoleon Dynamite a second time I'd probably hate myself.

this movie easily earns a place on the list, the title character is a smug off-beat adolescent, and otherwise he's nothing like those other three... though probably closest to ferris bueller. i liked those other movies too... but not this one.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:41 am

I think the worst quarky naming I saw this movie called The Royal Tenenbaums in which the main character's name was Royal Tenenbaum. But his family, the Tenenbaums, were in no way royal making the title not only annoying, but also make no sense.

I could accept Owen Wilson being named Eli Cash but most of the other characters had stupid names too. Ben Stiller's sons were called Ari and Uzi. Angelica Huston was Etheline Tenenbaum.

I also hated that movie for about a million other reasons too, which doesn't help.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Peven on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:17 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I think the worst quarky naming I saw this movie called The Royal Tenenbaums in which the main character's name was Royal Tenenbaum. But his family, the Tenenbaums, were in no way royal making the title not only annoying, but also make no sense.

I could accept Owen Wilson being named Eli Cash but most of the other characters had stupid names too. Ben Stiller's sons were called Ari and Uzi. Angelica Huston was Etheline Tenenbaum.

I also hated that movie for about a million other reasons too, which doesn't help.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:57 pm

I saw this corny jazz romance movie last night called My Blueberry Nights. This is a feature film that deals with the theme of dependency. Dependency on other people, alcohol, blueberry pie, gambling etc. It’s definitely one of those movie type movies where people quickly form these offbeat relationships that only exist in movies. I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve never felt so comfortable around a waiter that I’ve passed out on the counter in his diner with blueberry all over my face and then woken up the next day and not even feinted mock-embarrassment.

The characters also seem to respect the mystique other characters are trying to build for themselves by not asking the glaringly obvious questions. For example, Natalie Portman plays a poker player who’s estranged father has to fake his death in order to speak with her. Not only does nobody ever ask her why he has to resort to these theatrics to talk, but there are several scenes where Portman says “I’ll bet I know what you’re wondering…” but then follows up with something other than “why won’t I speak to my father?” I mean, that’s what I was wondering. Considering a good portion of this movie takes place on a road trip to go see a father she says she won’t speak to, it’s pretty weird that it never comes up. I guess there’s some pretty interesting scenery to comment on, but really, I think curiosity would get the better of me after a couple days sitting next to somebody who I am giving a ride to go see a man she says she won’t talk to.

You know how in Paris, Texas Harry Dean Stanton just left his beautiful wife and wandered off into the desert for years and everybody thought he was dead until he showed up again years later acting all mute and spaced out and everybody just kinda gave him his space? It seems everybody in My Blueberry Nights has Harry Dean Stanton privileges of not having to explain themselves until they’re good and ready. And everybody else is another Harry Dean Stanton who understands and will never ask “Dude, what the fuck is up with you?”

I also want to add that the casting in this movie is bang on. Kar Wai Wong really managed his resources with this film. Jazz singer Norah Jones plays the lead character, an introspective young woman drifting through self-discovery. Normally this role would go to Scarlet Johansson, and I’m really glad it didn’t. Seeing as all this character has to do is play the quiet straightman to a bunch of more loud interesting characters, it’s not that demanding for a first-time actress. But Jones does a decent job of standing there and looking at other people like she’s listening to them. I think having to endure one more outing of the trademark Scar-Jo Blank Stare would’ve just killed this movie.

The only thing I remember hearing about this movie when it came out was critics taking the easy attack on Jones’s acting saying the obvious “she should stick to singing” like they always do when somebody who’s famous for something else tries acting. They probably also stayed true to form and made some pun on the title that escapes me now. Something super-movie-criticish like “this blueberry is stale” or “I wouldn’t want another slice of this”. Keep up the good work guys, the world’s counting on you!

I don’t think Jones shows huge potential to be an actress, but I’m not going to bust her chops because I think she was actually okay for this character. Her semi-engaged stare beats ScarJo’s blank stare in my book. I would’ve preferred if they hadn’t used her music in the film. I found it kind of jarring. Even though her character isn’t a singer and her speaking voice isn’t like her singing voice, it was still weird. Especially since she doesn’t do the whole soundtrack, they get all these other jazz singers to relax you. But every now and then one of her songs starts playing and it always freaked me out to see her lips not moving while her songs played like she was a ventriloquist or Ashlee Simpson or something.

Just like Wong gives an unchallenging straightman character to the inexperienced lead actress, he also deals out his other roles to suit the actors’ strengths. The character that just has to be charming and only occasionally border on acting gets played by Jude Law. He decides to go for an overacting performance out of Natalie Portman, which is much better than her usual attempts at actual acting. And he leaves characters that require real acting to Rachel Weisz and David Strathairn. So, a good use of the team, Mr. Wong.

I’ll admit that the main reason I rented this movie was the cast of hotties. I saw Natalie Portman, Rachel Weisz, and Norah Jones on the cover all making sexy eyes and nibbling on their own fingers and since the cover art was an express trip to Bonersville I figured this would be some sort of artsy erotica movie like Sex and Lucia or Y Tu Mama Tambien. It was surprisingly unsexy, and more just kinda melancholy. The main thing that I think was supposed to be sensual was all the extreme close-ups of blueberry pies baking, but most of those shots just looked like infected wounds to me.

This film is done in a cheesy music video style from about twenty years ago that frequently employs lots of blurry slow motion shots filmed at a low frame rate. A lot of people complained when this technique was used in Gladiator because they felt the way the shots would blur and drop frames obscured the action. Well, in this movie there’s not so much to obscure since the only action is mostly people setting slices of blueberry pie down on countertops and eating them. I guess I would’ve appreciated a better look at Jude Law’s comb-over in this movie, because it’s a goddamn work of art.

This filmmaker, Kar Wai Wong, seems to be one of these guys that has a little cult of people who will attack anybody who criticizes his films. It seems anytime anybody says they don’t like a film of his, he’s always got a fan there to say that the critic just doesn’t understand and appreciate Wong’s style. Which is their way of saying you have to like his films in order to like them.

This is the first film of Wong’s that I’ve seen and I’ll say that I liked it, but it is corny and his visual style feels like it’s from a cheesy old George Michael music video. Lots of that cheesy low-framerate blurry slow-mo stuff. All sorts of type-lapse photography and corny shots of clouds parting and nature and I’m sure a bunch of other 80s music video tricks I’m forgetting to mention. I said this movie resembles Paris, Texas in its tone the nature of reality it presents. But the two different visual styles of the directors actually make these movies feel like they were made in each other’s time. Paris, Texas pretty much still looks like a movie that could’ve come out this year, while My Blueberry Nights looks like it was made twenty years ago. But that’s okay, twenty years ago ain’t so bad. And I generally liked this corny jazz romance movie because of its absurd hokeyness, so I think I’ll just contently pass out on a diner counter with blueberry pie all over my face and call it a night.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:47 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I saw this corny jazz romance movie last night called My Blueberry Nights. This is a feature film that deals with the theme of dependency. Dependency on other people, alcohol, blueberry pie, gambling etc. It’s definitely one of those movie type movies where people quickly form these offbeat relationships that only exist in movies. I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve never felt so comfortable around a waiter that I’ve passed out on the counter in his diner with blueberry all over my face and then woken up the next day and not even feinted mock-embarrassment.

The characters also seem to respect the mystique other characters are trying to build for themselves by not asking the glaringly obvious questions. For example, Natalie Portman plays a poker player who’s estranged father has to fake his death in order to speak with her. Not only does nobody ever ask her why he has to resort to these theatrics to talk, but there are several scenes where Portman says “I’ll bet I know what you’re wondering…” but then follows up with something other than “why won’t I speak to my father?” I mean, that’s what I was wondering. Considering a good portion of this movie takes place on a road trip to go see a father she says she won’t speak to, it’s pretty weird that it never comes up. I guess there’s some pretty interesting scenery to comment on, but really, I think curiosity would get the better of me after a couple days sitting next to somebody who I am giving a ride to go see a man she says she won’t talk to.

You know how in Paris, Texas Grande Rojo Dean Stanton just left his beautiful wife and wandered off into the desert for years and everybody thought he was dead until he showed up again years later acting all mute and spaced out and everybody just kinda gave him his space? It seems everybody in My Blueberry Nights has Grande Rojo Dean Stanton privileges of not having to explain themselves until they’re good and ready. And everybody else is another Grande Rojo Dean Stanton who understands and will never ask “Dude, what the fuck is up with you?”

I also want to add that the casting in this movie is bang on. Kar Wai Wong really managed his resources with this film. Jazz singer Norah Jones plays the lead character, an introspective young woman drifting through self-discovery. Normally this role would go to Scarlet Johansson, and I’m really glad it didn’t. Seeing as all this character has to do is play the quiet straightman to a bunch of more loud interesting characters, it’s not that demanding for a first-time actress. But Jones does a decent job of standing there and looking at other people like she’s listening to them. I think having to endure one more outing of the trademark Scar-Jo Blank Stare would’ve just killed this movie.

The only thing I remember hearing about this movie when it came out was critics taking the easy attack on Jones’s acting saying the obvious “she should stick to singing” like they always do when somebody who’s famous for something else tries acting. They probably also stayed true to form and made some pun on the title that escapes me now. Something super-movie-criticish like “this blueberry is stale” or “I wouldn’t want another slice of this”. Keep up the good work guys, the world’s counting on you!

I don’t think Jones shows huge potential to be an actress, but I’m not going to bust her chops because I think she was actually okay for this character. Her semi-engaged stare beats ScarJo’s blank stare in my book. I would’ve preferred if they hadn’t used her music in the film. I found it kind of jarring. Even though her character isn’t a singer and her speaking voice isn’t like her singing voice, it was still weird. Especially since she doesn’t do the whole soundtrack, they get all these other jazz singers to relax you. But every now and then one of her songs starts playing and it always freaked me out to see her lips not moving while her songs played like she was a ventriloquist or Ashlee Simpson or something.

Just like Wong gives an unchallenging straightman character to the inexperienced lead actress, he also deals out his other roles to suit the actors’ strengths. The character that just has to be charming and only occasionally border on acting gets played by Jude Law. He decides to go for an overacting performance out of Natalie Portman, which is much better than her usual attempts at actual acting. And he leaves characters that require real acting to Rachel Weisz and David Strathairn. So, a good use of the team, Mr. Wong.

I’ll admit that the main reason I rented this movie was the cast of hotties. I saw Natalie Portman, Rachel Weisz, and Norah Jones on the cover all making sexy eyes and nibbling on their own fingers and since the cover art was an express trip to Bonersville I figured this would be some sort of artsy erotica movie like Sex and Lucia or Y Tu Mama Tambien. It was surprisingly unsexy, and more just kinda melancholy. The main thing that I think was supposed to be sensual was all the extreme close-ups of blueberry pies baking, but most of those shots just looked like infected wounds to me.

This film is done in a cheesy music video style from about twenty years ago that frequently employs lots of blurry slow motion shots filmed at a low frame rate. A lot of people complained when this technique was used in Gladiator because they felt the way the shots would blur and drop frames obscured the action. Well, in this movie there’s not so much to obscure since the only action is mostly people setting slices of blueberry pie down on countertops and eating them. I guess I would’ve appreciated a better look at Jude Law’s comb-over in this movie, because it’s a goddamn work of art.

This filmmaker, Kar Wai Wong, seems to be one of these guys that has a little cult of people who will attack anybody who criticizes his films. It seems anytime anybody says they don’t like a film of his, he’s always got a fan there to say that the critic just doesn’t understand and appreciate Wong’s style. Which is their way of saying you have to like his films in order to like them.

This is the first film of Wong’s that I’ve seen and I’ll say that I liked it, but it is corny and his visual style feels like it’s from a cheesy old George Michael music video. Lots of that cheesy low-framerate blurry slow-mo stuff. All sorts of type-lapse photography and corny shots of clouds parting and nature and I’m sure a bunch of other 80s music video tricks I’m forgetting to mention. I said this movie resembles Paris, Texas in its tone the nature of reality it presents. But the two different visual styles of the directors actually make these movies feel like they were made in each other’s time. Paris, Texas pretty much still looks like a movie that could’ve come out this year, while My Blueberry Nights looks like it was made twenty years ago. But that’s okay, twenty years ago ain’t so bad. And I generally liked this corny jazz romance movie because of its absurd hokeyness, so I think I’ll just contently pass out on a diner counter with blueberry pie all over my face and call it a night.

This sounds like a terrible movie about blueberry pie.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:53 pm

that is a real shame, too, because i love a good blueberry pie......

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby SilentBobX on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:25 pm

Just started watching Live From Baghdad with Michael Keaton and Helena Bonham Carter about CNN and the first Iraq war. I have no idea why I bought it, maybe I was just hypnotized by HBC's deep eyes. Anyway, as HBO movies go it's decent, and it was on sale.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:36 am

popped in "Life Aquatic" tonight, was in the mood for my favorite director working these days. damn i love this film. LOVE it. i mean, i love all 5 of Anderson's films, and i can't pick just one favorite, but this one is tied for favorite....with Rushmore, Tennenbaums, and Darjeeling. :wink: Bill Murray does great work in this, as does everyone else in front of and behind the camera. the soundtrack, as always with Wes's films, is superbly complimentary to the visuals and stays with you long after the credits roll. i believe this was probably between the 20th and 25th time i have seen this film and i already look forward to the next time i watch it.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:22 pm

Peven wrote:popped in "Life Aquatic" tonight, was in the mood for my favorite director working these days. damn i love this film. LOVE it. i mean, i love all 5 of Anderson's films, and i can't pick just one favorite, but this one is tied for favorite....with Rushmore, Tennenbaums, and Darjeeling. :wink: Bill Murray does great work in this, as does everyone else in front of and behind the camera. the soundtrack, as always with Wes's films, is superbly complimentary to the visuals and stays with you long after the credits roll. i believe this was probably between the 20th and 25th time i have seen this film and i already look forward to the next time i watch it.

Wes Anderson is not of Mortal Lineage! He was created by the last of the Roman Gods and placed on Earth to continue their work...

So he made films insted with his power of thunder and lightning and control over Bill Murray, a being once thought uncontrollable!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:56 pm

Wes Anderson is an overrated pretentious guy.

I enjoy his movies, though.
caruso_stalker217

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:52 pm

Hey, I finally got around to watch I Am Legend. It was pretty good. Director Francis Lawrence proves again after the surpsingly entertaining "Constantine" that just because he directs commercials and musicvideos, he isn't a bad director. In terms of feature film making I wouldn't put him in the same league as Gondry or Jonze, but he is definitely a Pellington or Glazer. It seems that he knows what he does and what the difference between making a movie and a musicvideo is. And Will Smith is great in this! I don't know how this "Awwwww, hell naaaaaaw" cliche started, (because I think he said in one movie and that's it) but when you after "Ali", "The Pursuit Of Happyness" and "I Am Legend" STILL think that he is a bad actor who can play nothing else than the Fresh Prince over and over and over, then you are one big ignorant idiot.
Well, the things I didn't like were pretty much the same, that most of you didn't like too. I'm talking about the bad CGI creatures (although I expected much worse from what I've heard. They are definitely not state of the art [although...The Golden Compass won an Oscar for worse effects!] but not that bad that they took me out of the movie) and the ending. My main problem with ending was not that it was silly or something (I think it was a satisfying ending [thetrical cut]), but it felt rushed. Like the writer(s) ran out of ideas, so they let Smith meet the other two survivers, started a big actionscene, had 2 minutes of epilogue and let the credits roll.
Good movie. I give it 7,5/10
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:59 pm

I prefer the original ending for I AM LEGEND. That voice-over felt really tacked on. And I didn't particularly care for the whole personal sacrifice angle.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Nice review, DerLang, I do have a soft spot for this movie. I think you made a fair summation of Lawrence and Pellington but Glazer is a far better director than those two, have you seen Birth? It's as good as Being John Malkovich and anything Gondry has done save for Eternal Sunshine.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:11 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I prefer the original ending for I AM LEGEND. That voice-over felt really tacked on. And I didn't particularly care for the whole personal sacrifice angle.

I gotta admit that I haven't seen the non-theatrical cut yet. I just read about it and saw stills of it, so I got no idea how it works for me, but I will check it out later.

TonyWilson wrote:Nice review, DerLang, I do have a soft spot for this movie. I think you made a fair summation of Lawrence and Pellington but Glazer is a far better director than those two, have you seen Birth? It's as good as Being John Malkovich and anything Gondry has done save for Eternal Sunshine.

I watched "Birth" with one eye while it was on TV a while ago. I think I will watch it again later, but I like "Constantine" more than "Sexy Beast", so unless "Birth" is really in the league of "Malkovich" I think I won't change my opinion (yet).
But of course as direcotr for musicvideos, Glazer is without a doubt better than Lawrence.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray