What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Betamax and beyond

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:29 am

...and?
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby travis-dane on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:55 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:...and?

Lots of TITS+lots of ASS+lots of GORE+lots of BAD ACTING+Robert Englund= Funky movie.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:19 am

travis-dane wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:...and?

Lots of TITS+lots of ASS+lots of GORE+lots of BAD ACTING+Robert Englund= Funky movie.

Guess I'll have to check it out then.
caruso_stalker217

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:32 am

A few days ago Plan 9 From Outer Space was on TV and so I finally got a chance to watch it. (_______ bless ARTE and the guy who figured out that "A TV channel for art" can also mean "Hey, let's show movies from Monty Python, Russ Meyer or Ed Wood!)
What can I say? This movie earned its "Worst movie ever"-title in a time, where these tree words REALLY meant anything and were not just thrown around by some stupid kids who were so busy with sending text messages in the movie theatre, that they totally forgot to watch the movie. It was also a huge fun for me to recognize the scenes that have been re-enacted in Tim Burton's "Ed Wood". So yes, I had a blast. :mrgreen:
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Al Shut on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:01 am

God bless ARTE and their friday night trash series
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby travis-dane on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:54 am

Al Shut wrote:God bless ARTE and their friday night trash series

They even showed DAY OF THE DEAD....(heavy cut)
Last edited by travis-dane on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:56 am

travis-dane wrote:

They even shoewd DAY OF THE DEAD....(heavy cut)

Only in Germany. On the french version of Arte they show the movies uncut, as far as I know.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby travis-dane on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:04 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:
travis-dane wrote:

They even shoewd DAY OF THE DEAD....(heavy cut)

Only in Germany. On the french version of Arte they show the movies uncut, as far as I know.

Ah damn!
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out...
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby travis-dane on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:54 pm

So, I had a day of and I watched some movies....

IN BRUGES with Colin Farell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fienes.
Thats a very good movie, the three leads are doing fantastic work, the story is simple but effective.
I give IN BRUGES 8 out of 10

REDBELT with Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tim Allen and Max Martini.
I was a lucky man today, watching two great movies in a row.
REDBELT is a fantastic movie, Chiwetel Ejiofor gives a great performance, the whole cast does a good job. Tim Allen plays a Action hero and does a good job.
The story is a little tricky here and there and it has some plotholes, but this movie is all about the performances and a certain way of life.
I think that I never have seen a movie that captured the spirit of Martial Arts like REDBELT did.
I give REDBELT a 9 out of 10

THE MUTANT CHRONICLES with Thomas Jane, Ron Perlman and Devon Aoki.
This movie is a mixed bag for me, it is completely shot Digital(like Sin City) and it has a great ensemble cast.
The performances are solid and there are some good action scenes. The movie is very violent.
But the story was weak, the time frame in the movie really did not work for me and there are some big logic gaps.
I give MUTANT CHRONICLES 6 out of 10
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:05 am

I saw BATMAN BEGINS for the second time. I saw it in the cinemas when it came out and really liked it then, but never bought the DVD or watched it since.

I typically don't like superhero movies for the same reasons:

1. Stupid costumes
2. Magic powers
3. Characters that become vigilantes wayyyy too fast with little motivation

Batman as a hero has a bit of an edge since he's got no stupid magic power that they try to explain through a screenwriter's understanding science. Plus Batman's parents getting killed at a young age really explains his personal need for justice, and this movie goes the extra mile to show that the cops and judges in Gotham are all bent and there's no viable official justice. Which only leaves the stupid costume, and in this movie they at least explain why he wants to dress like a bat and the costume doesn't show up until halfway through. Up until then, it's mostly a samurai film.

I think this movie is really fucking great. The music is fantastic and it's pretty much shot like a Ridley Scott movie, only with slightly crappy staging of most of the fistfights. But the car chase is shot clear as day and it's one thrilling sequence.

Like in the sequel (The Dark Knight) most of the movie is spent with characters explicitly talking about big lofty ideas like they're aiming their conversations right at the audience. The only parts that actually felt like normal conversations was the stuff between Bruce Wayne and Mr. Fox (Morgan Freeman). The rest of the time it's all this "you must become a myth to conquer fear" or "justice and revenge are not the same thing" kinda stuff.

Christian Bale has been playing rich American dudes pretty much his whole career, so he's a natural fit for this role. And Liam Neason always plays dudes who carry swords and die, so he was also in his element. I know people gave Katie Holmes a lot of shit for this movie and that they replaced her with Maggie Gyllenhall in the sequel, but seeing this again now, I really don't think the improvement was really worth it. Holmes isn't as bad as I remember her and definately not as bad as everybody makes her out to be, plus she's at least good looking. Maybe Gyllenhall has all sorts of cred from indie movies I haven't seen, but her performance in Batman 2 wasn't really much better than Holmes's. I guess Maggie looks a good three years older and so maybe that's a plus, but I guess having now seen this movie again I think once they cast Holmes, they should've stuck with her. And I know I'm always the guy saying Kate Beckinsale doesn't have much to offer as an actress, but I actually think this is a role she could've handled and they should've gone with her in the first place.

The other thing I noticed was the scope of this first movie was a lot bigger than I remembered it being. I saw Dark Knight and thought that it just went huge over the first one, but the first one isn't as small as Dark Knight made it seem.

So, this was a movie that I really liked at the time and appreciate even more now upon a second viewing.

cheers
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:57 pm

Spandau Belly wrote: I know people gave Katie Holmes a lot of shit for this movie and that they replaced her with Maggie Gyllenhall in the sequel, but seeing this again now, I really don't think the improvement was really worth it. Holmes isn't as bad as I remember her and definately not as bad as everybody makes her out to be, plus she's at least good looking. Maybe Gyllenhall has all sorts of cred from indie movies I haven't seen, but her performance in Batman 2 wasn't really much better than Holmes's. I guess Maggie looks a good three years older and so maybe that's a plus, but I guess having now seen this movie again I think once they cast Holmes, they should've stuck with her. And I know I'm always the guy saying Kate Beckinsale doesn't have much to offer as an actress, but I actually think this is a role she could've handled and they should've gone with her in the first place.

You can blame Holmes for the lack of continuity, since she wanted to be paid more money than she's worth. And I still think she looks like a glass-eyed zombie. True, Joker calling Gyllenhaal "beautiful" three times was excessive, but I blame Christopher Nolan and Wally Pfister for not filming her correctly. I've seen her in other movies and in interviews and whatnot and she looks a lot better than she does in DARK KNIGHT.

Hm. Beckinsale isn't such a bad idea. Make it happen.
caruso_stalker217

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:39 am

I think the official reason for Holmes not returning is scheduling conflicts (be it with the movie Mad Money or family time). I'm pretty sure it was her choice not to return and I don't recall ever hearing anything about a money issue.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:27 am

Gamera 3

The best goddamn Japanese Giant Monster flick, hell probably THE BEST GIANT MONSTER FLICK ever!

This movie is hitting 10 years old and on a fucking 9 million dollar budget the story and FX hold up really fucking well.

I really wished that the guys that made Cloverfield took a look at this movie before jumping into the the car wreak that they ended up making.

Dont believe me! Check it out!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:10 am

RogueScribner wrote:I think the official reason for Holmes not returning is scheduling conflicts (be it with the movie Mad Money or family time). I'm pretty sure it was her choice not to return and I don't recall ever hearing anything about a money issue.

Scheduling conflicts = wanted mo' money.

Either that or Tom Cruise said no.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:28 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:I think the official reason for Holmes not returning is scheduling conflicts (be it with the movie Mad Money or family time). I'm pretty sure it was her choice not to return and I don't recall ever hearing anything about a money issue.

Scheduling conflicts = wanted mo' money.

Either that or Tom Cruise said no.

I guess I've heard so many rumours about Holmes's reason for not returning that I kinda don't believe any one of them with any certainty. I also heard that since fans hated her so much they axed her but let her say it scheduling conflicts to save face, as a professional courtesy.

Anyway, I still feel replacing her with Gyllenhall wasn't really a step up at the end of the day. And I'll stand by my choice that Kate Beckinsale should've played this role all along.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:03 pm

Anyway, I watched this POINT BLANK film starring this kid named Lee Marvin. I've seen this young fella in stuff like THE BIG HEAT and THE DIRTY DOZEN, I tell ya this kid is goin' places. Watch out for this kid. Lee Marvin.
caruso_stalker217

Postby travis-dane on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:48 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Anyway, I watched this POINT BLANK film starring this kid named Lee Marvin. I've seen this young fella in stuff like THE BIG HEAT and THE DIRTY DOZEN, I tell ya this kid is goin' places. Watch out for this kid. Lee Marvin.

I heard a crazy rumor, that Lee Marvin will do a Action movie with Chuck"Motherfucking"Norris!!!
Something about a "secret" U.S. military Unit.
That one will ROCK!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:54 pm

travis-dane wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Anyway, I watched this POINT BLANK film starring this kid named Lee Marvin. I've seen this young fella in stuff like THE BIG HEAT and THE DIRTY DOZEN, I tell ya this kid is goin' places. Watch out for this kid. Lee Marvin.

I heard a crazy rumor, that Lee Marvin will do a Action movie with Chuck"Motherfucking"Norris!!!
Something about a "secret" U.S. military Unit.
That one will ROCK!

He might show up in some WW2 movie with Luke Skywalker at some point. That's the scuttlebutt around the water cooler these days.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:20 pm

I caught Coneheads on TV again and man, this movie is a grower. I remember when I saw it for the first time (That was probably around 1998) I liked it, but not THAT much. Meanwhile I just love the movie. It's maybe the funniest one-note-song ever made and everytime I see how Jane Curtin discovers the eggplants in the supermarket, I piss myself from laughing.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:48 pm

Man, I haven't seen CONEHEADS in years. Since I was dick-high, probably. Never knew what the daughter saw in Chris Farley, though. My biological father Pauly Shore shoulda played that part.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:33 pm

So I got home late from this Thai kickboxing tournament and saw that one of the American channels was showing THE GOLDEN CHILD, so that means it would be in English and not a French dub so I decided to check it out.

It pretty much went for the exact same appeal as Big Trouble In Little China, where the entertainment comes from some loudmouth American making smartassed dismissive remarks in the face of this dead-serious world of Asian mysticism. But I definately preferred BTiLC because I felt Carpenter did a better job of keeping the pace up, continually throwing monsters and amazing sets at us, and by having more characters to foster more reparte.

Golden Child didn't really give Eddie Murphy as much to play off of as it could have. The best part of the movie is when he goes to Tibet and this old wise monk fucks with him and steals his money and taunts him 'n shit. Then Murphy really had somebody to play off of and it resulted in more humour and energy. For most of the movie he's just with this large-breasted Asian woman (Charlotte Lewis) who's character isn't really a character as much as a pair of boobs and an ever-shifting plot device. Charles Dance plays the bad guy, and again, the scenes between he and Murphy (especially one in a dream) are good, but there isn't enough.

Murphy's really charming in this role, and overall the movie is pretty good, but it definately lags a lot and I feel like it could've been better. I'm sure people who saw it back in 80s like it a lot more, and I realize some of this stuff is just a result of the movie becoming dated. Ghostbusters is kinda in the same boat with guys making offhand jokes while in a supernatural adventure, and I grew up with that movie, so I like it a lot, but I'm sure the kids these days find that one really slow too.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:41 pm

John Carpenter was once supposed to be the director of The Golden Child! (I've also heard that it was then meant to be a serious movie with Mel Gibson in the lead, but I'm not sure about that one.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:42 pm

I-I-I I want the knife!

I love THE GOLDEN CHILD.

And that's not just any "large-breasted Asian woman," Spandau. That's Charlotte Lewis we're talking about here.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:46 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I-I-I I want the knife!

I love THE GOLDEN CHILD.

And that's not just any "large-breasted Asian woman," Spandau. That's Charlotte Lewis we're talking about here.

Yeah, but you've got to admit, she doesn't really have much of a character here.

Anyway, I liked it. But I guess I don't "love" it like you. The idea of Carpenter doing this movie with Gibson is just too amazing for me to believe. I'll try not to think about how it could've been a possibility, it's just too painful for me to imagine what I've been deprived of.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:17 am

"Love" might have been excessive. I haven't seen it in years, but I loved it as a kid and still carry fond memories of it and shit. Maybe if I watched it today it wouldn't be as awesome.

Sometimes I think about what might have been had Carpenter helmed THE GOLDEN CHILD, but then I think "Wait, THE GOLDEN CHILD came out in '86. If Carpenter had done it, we might not have had BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA." In fact, I fucking bet we wouldn't. And BTILC is much closer to my heart.

You're right. She didn't have a lot to do. Just like in MEN OF WAR, but at least she got topless in that one.

Didn't she fuck John Matrix's daughter in some shitty vampire movie?

"JEHNNY! STAHP FAHCKING THAHT VAMPAHYAH UND AULL OF THAHT!"
caruso_stalker217

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:39 am

So I just caught The Pacifier on TV.
Maybe you know that I got absolutely no problem with fluffy family movies. Shit, I'm maybe the only adult in the world who enjoyed the hell out of Spy Kids 3D! But this one was way to...how do the kids say these days..."meh" for me. It was unbelievable boring and there were only two or three laughs in the whole movie! The whole screenplay was more predictable than an episode of Pokemon! They even used the old cliche of the secret code that's hidden in a nursery rhyme. Aw, screw that, nobody will be surprised by that "twist". THE PETER PANDA DANCE IS A SECRET CODE! Can you believe that?
I'm sure that you all remember Kindergarten Cop. The movie is almost 20 years old, was something like 20 million times on TV, but is still superior to The Pacifier! When Kindergarten Cop came out, it was sorta original. "Hey, let's surround our biggest actionstar with toddlers!" The Pacifier is just a lame re-hash of that concept. I don't wanna say that it isn't funny to see Vin Diesel as Babysitter, because it is, but they never really take advantage of this idea. He just arrives in the house, has some trouble at first and that's kinda it. It even took a ninja attack (!) before they all began to like each other! And Kindergarten Cop had a more dangerous villain. I know, KC was PG13 and The Pacifier was a PG Disneymovie, but the guy that Arnie had to face was a real actionmovie psycho, who somehow found his way into a family movie, while Diesel doesn't even have a real antagonist until the last 10 minutes of the movie. And maybe more important: Back in 1990 knew Ivan Reitman still how make real funny movies, while Adam Shenkman...well...when he isn't staging musical numbers, he pretty much sucks. He made a comedy with Lorelai Gilmore and Raymond's brother and didn't even manage to make me smile when they were on screen!
There is one thing I have to give this movie credit for: After Vin Diesel played for years nothing else than the emotionless cool motherfucker, he was here for the first time a pretty nice guy, who I even could imagine as the likable lead in a romantic comedy!
But you know what really makes angry? The Pacifier made in his first weekend 31 Million $, while the in every department much, much better Sky High, which started in the same year, only made 14 millions. Yep, it sucks to be a good movie these days.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:55 am

Reitman just knew how to use Schwarzenegger. He made him twins with Danny DeVito, a cop who teaches kindergartners, and even impregnated him.

Say what you will about JUNIOR, casting Schwarzenegger as a pregnant dude was fucking genius. Can you imagine ANY other actor playing that part? Somehow Schwarzenegger made it work. I'm gonna type Schwarzenegger one more time.

Schwarzenegger.
caruso_stalker217

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:39 am

Disturbia

Blatant Rear Window homage/rip off, but an entertaining one. Hardly original, but it's well crafted and acted. Sadly, the ending falls into typical thriller clichés and does not match the punch the opening 10 minutes had. *** 1/2

Postal

Hardly high art, but as a fan of the game it's based upon (sue me) it was kinda neat to see. It had a few laughs (Old Lady: "Do you know that my father died in Auschwitz?" Uwe Boll: "My grandpa died also in Auschwitz. He fell from a watchtower."), had some nice and not-so-nice nudity, and plenty of gratuitous violence. It made me want to play the game again 'cause killing innocent people is fun for the whole family!!! :) ***

Wrong Turn

I rented this because of mine told me it struck a resembling to a script I wrote a couple of years ago. So I popped it in to see if all my hard work was wasted. Happily, it wasn't. This movie pretty much blows and most of the kills are off screen or lack gore. It's filled with stock characters and lacks logic at almost every turn. What a POS.

* star (would have been zero, but I like Eliza Dushku)

Ella Enchanted

A nice little fairy tale with a modern vibe. It's not half as whimsical and charming as it thinks it is, but Anne Hathaway and Cary Elwes really carry this movie through to the end. i'm sure it plays really well with the preteen set. ***
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Al Shut on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:49 pm

RogueScribner wrote: Old Lady: "Do you know that my father died in Auschwitz?" Uwe Boll: "My grandpa died also in Auschwitz. He fell from a watchtower."

That was in there?
If there was ever a joke I thought I'd never see in a movie it's that one.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:28 pm

That joke took me by surprise. I couldn't help but laugh! :lol:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:18 pm

The Purple Rose Of Cairo
Saw it for the first time and it became immediately one of my top 3 Woody Allen movies!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:04 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:The Purple Rose Of Cairo
Saw it for the first time and it became immediately one of my top 3 Woody Allen movies!

That reminds me, I've got to buy Zelig in the near future. Amazing film.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:36 am

The Thing From Another World
I really wanted to watch the Carpenter version, but for any reason I don't have it on DVD. (Sacrilege, I know!)So I decided to re-watch the 1950's version instead. It's seriously a good movie. Pretty slow, especially in the first half, but also damn scary in parts. And the scene where they set The Thing on fire is one of the greatest actionscenes ever! (Did I ever mention how much I love burning stuntpeople? If I could, I would make a people where every actor is burning for the whole runtime!)
Great movie! I wait for Quint's review.

P.S.: Why is the hero on the cover of the German DVD holding a dildo?

DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:39 am

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD is one of the very few old timey horror movies that ever scared me. The only other I can think of at the moment is INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS. The best time to watch these are when you're a kid.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:55 pm

I saw a movie called PERFORMANCE. The box showed only Mick Jagger in two radically different shots making it seem that we was co-leading a film with himself, but he was actually mostly just playing one guy and a supporting character to this other dude who isn't on the box.

The movie starts out as one of those Cockney crime movies like The Long Good Friday or some Guy Ritchie deal where all these London hardmen with colourful personalities and lots of sarcasm screw each other over for illegal money and the big crime boss makes all sorts of self-righteous speeches about his code of honour while torturing and extorting various victims and I figured it would just turn out to be the 1970 version of Snatch or something.

But then this one overzealous enforcer gets into some rough shit and has to flee the area and ends up hiding out in this apartment complex / cult where Mick Jagger is the landlord / cult leader. It then turns into a pre-David Lynch movie complete with body swapping, orgies, lesbianism, and general freaking out, all leading up to a musical number where Jagger morphs into the crime boss from the beginning and dances around singing and shit mostly because he's Mick Jagger and singing is what he does so I guess they figured they had to get a song and dance out of him.

I'm a pretty big fan of Lynch's and I even like a lot of this psychadelic hippie shit like El Topo and various Russ Meyer features, but this movie just kinda annoyed me. They threw every cutting edge MTV camera trick at this thing and every pretentous idea they could think of, but they didn't really have anything that spoke to me in any deep way. But I also enjoyed laughing at the absurdity of a lot of the scenes. My favorite is when the straight-edge fugative guy is strung out on a drug bender dressed in rags and flamboyant wig and remembers that he needs to get his passport photo taken and stumbles around all fucked up in a ridiculous costume taking polaroids of himself which he actually tries to use for his passport. There's some other funny stuff like the fugitive guy trying to hide his identity by dying his hair Ronald McDonald red making himself stand out ten times more.

The movie mostly deals with the whole David Lynch body swapping phenomenon and is concerned with blurring the lines of identity. They have Jagger always wearing lipstick and acting foppish, and cast a French chick who resembles him yet is still somehow hot (she sorta looks like Selma Blair) and there's lots of scenes where they shoot it in ambiguous ways so that you don't know who's making out with who etc.

I'm sure this movie was self-absorbed in its time, but it may have also been groundbreaking in various MTV types of editing and camera angles. But even though I enjoyed aspects of it and the French chick got me hot, I really can't recommend it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chilli on Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:22 pm

Spanglish - I'm watching this to build my karma levels up. By watching something so awful, I think I'm in line for some positive awesome.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:14 pm

My new roommates have me watching full seasons of CSI on dvd... i dont have my tv and dvd player hooked up yet, so theres not much i can do.....
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:01 am

Kevin & Perry Go Large
I case you don't know it: That's a british losers-wannna-do-it-comedy with lots of gross out humor and a cool club-soundtrack. I seriously love the movie and I think that it's much funnier than other hyped shit like Superbad or American Pie. The humor in this is more over the top and sometimes even more disgusting then the usual bodyfluids-in-your-drink-jokes. I think what I like most about it is that it feels pretty much like an early Farelly Brothers movie. Not just because even the most disgusting joke is played out with much more joy, timing and inspiration than most other gross out comedies, also because of the characters. Kevin and Perry are unbelievable morons and if you would meet them in real life, you would do everything to avoid them, but here you still root for them. One of my favourite scenes in the first act is when we see these two ugly guys (one of them is played by a woman!), who don't have any other friends and are a joke for everybody, are DJing to get some money for a trip to Ibiza - and all the cool people around them like what they do! Kevin and Perry are indeed talented DJs and you instantly know that if someone gives them a chance, they could be successful. Another nice touch is than one of them always mentions in his daydreams that he has a long penis - and it turns out that his really is that big!
An honorable mention gets Rhy Ifans, who plays the arrogant Star DJ "Eyeball Paul". I don't know if this character is based on a real DJ (From the name it could be Paul Oakenfold or Paul van Dyk, but he also looks like Sven Väth) or is just a caricature of the average asshole DJ (Trust me: Most DJs I know have a God complex, even if they are just the residents of a village disco), but as usual Ifans is fun to watch, whenever he gets really slimy.
I mentioned the soundtrack before. Yes, instead of the usual College Rock you hear Fatboy Slim, Underworld, Mauro Picotto, Taucher and Roger Sanchez. It can get a little penetrant from time to time (It's one of these movies that don't seem to have a real score, but play a new song instead every few minutes) but I loved it.
All in all it's a very funny and very disgusting teen comedy, with an unusal setting (UK and Ibiza) and an unusual soundtrack, but I laughed my ass off and bought the soundtrack.Superbad is indeed superbad. Kevin & Perry rule! (You can quote me, if this movie gets a re-release on DVD.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:09 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:Kevin & Perry Go Large
I case you don't know it: That's a british losers-wannna-do-it-comedy with lots of gross out humor and a cool club-soundtrack. I seriously love the movie and I think that it's much funnier than other hyped shit like Superbad or American Pie. The humor in this is more over the top and sometimes even more disgusting then the usual bodyfluids-in-your-drink-jokes. I think what I like most about it is that it feels pretty much like an early Farelly Brothers movie. Not just because even the most disgusting joke is played out with much more joy, timing and inspiration than most other gross out comedies, also because of the characters. Kevin and Perry are unbelievable morons and if you would meet them in real life, you would do everything to avoid them, but here you still root for them. One of my favourite scenes in the first act is when we see these two ugly guys (one of them is played by a woman!), who don't have any other friends and are a joke for everybody, are DJing to get some money for a trip to Ibiza - and all the cool people around them like what they do! Kevin and Perry are indeed talented DJs and you instantly know that if someone gives them a chance, they could be successful. Another nice touch is than one of them always mentions in his daydreams that he has a long penis - and it turns out that his really is that big!
An honorable mention gets Rhy Ifans, who plays the arrogant Star DJ "Eyeball Paul". I don't know if this character is based on a real DJ (From the name it could be Paul Oakenfold or Paul van Dyk, but he also looks like Sven Väth) or is just a caricature of the average asshole DJ (Trust me: Most DJs I know have a God complex, even if they are just the residents of a village disco), but as usual Ifans is fun to watch, whenever he gets really slimy.
I mentioned the soundtrack before. Yes, instead of the usual College Rock you hear Fatboy Slim, Underworld, Mauro Picotto, Taucher and Roger Sanchez. It can get a little penetrant from time to time (It's one of these movies that don't seem to have a real score, but play a new song instead every few minutes) but I loved it.
All in all it's a very funny and very disgusting teen comedy, with an unusal setting (UK and Ibiza) and an unusual soundtrack, but I laughed my ass off and bought the soundtrack.Superbad is indeed superbad. Kevin & Perry rule! (You can quote me, if this movie gets a re-release on DVD.)

I watched this again earlier in the year, I wasn't a huge fan when it first came out, but it is a hellaovalottafun and my repeat viewing was much nostalgic fun as I remembered growing up watching Kevin and Perry on the Harry Enfield show. AS for it being better than "Superbad"... mwell, I will say that I have yet to watch "Superbad" in one continuous sitting...Does anyone remember the first Ali G movie?!?? Now, I really doubt that is worth revisiting...

Last movie I watched was "Iron Man", enjoyed it alot... but... that post credit bit... gack. Cheese juice.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:53 am

About to watch Hal Ashby's Coming Home. I haven't seen this since it came out and my Grandmother took me to see it. Jesus. Uncomfortable.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:18 am

I rented this film called CASHBACK.

It's sort of an artsier version of the Judd Apatow / Kevin Smith slacker romantic comedy genre that seems to be so big with all you kids. You get all the same stuff of how retail workers engage in goofy stunts, pranks, and amusing shenanigans, as well as all the typical stock characters of this genre such as the smarmy boss, the loveable pranksters, the pervy skirt-chasing best friend, and the Silent Bob type who in this movie wears a Judo uniform because he's a martial arts expert who just happens to clean floors at a supermarket.

But this film is shot really well, and the score is like the score from Being John Malkovich, and it all adds up to this movie creating a very serene dream-like state, which fits with the main character's approach to just tuning out to get through his day. The dream parts are almost like an adult Calvin & Hobbes kinda thing, like when he dream that the grocery store is full of naked women frozen in time and slides around observing and sketching them.

The main character muses on work, art, women, love, beauty etc through a narration track and various flashbacks to his childhood.

This movie isn't gut-busting hilarious, it's got some good laughs and some that fall flat. There's one part where the smarmy boss starts comparing himself to Russel Crowe in GLADIATOR and it's pretty funny at first and then they start pumping in all this epic Hans Zimmer sounding music and he sorta starts doing a Braveheartian speech and that's when the joke just turns corny and seems out of place from the more observational humour of the film.

This is one of those movies like DEBS that was at first a short film and then the filmmaker got offered the funds to expand it to feature length. Only unlike DEBS, they actually include the short film that was the basis of this film on the DVD. It annoyed me how DEBS didn't let you see the whole short, just snippets. For Cashback they actually re-used almost all the footage from the short in the feature-length film and it's pretty interesting to see how the filmmaker expanded on his short.

So if you like these sorts of slacker romantic comedies about young dudes working minimum wage jobs and sorting their lifeshit out, you'd probably enjoy this one.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:48 pm

The Money Pit
My 2nd favourite Tom Hanks movie (right after The 'burbs). Saw it a million times and it's still hilarious. Tom Hanks should have gotten his first Oscar for this
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:34 pm

About to watch The Football Factory. No idea what it's about. A friend lent it to me and said I "have" to watch it.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:48 pm

I hope you enjoy it more that I did. To me it felt like some producers thought: "We should do something like Trainspotting, only with Hooligans and less surreal."
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:41 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:I hope you enjoy it more that I did. To me it felt like some producers thought: "We should do something like Trainspotting, only with Hooligans and less surreal."

Yep, just as I thought. Twas crap.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Bloo on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:37 am

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane

I read about this movie back in...Aug I think when Quint posted his AMAD of it

happened to catch it right from the beginning of Robert Osborne's introduction on TCM last night and I gotta say, it's a tight taunt little thriller with some really good performances, like Quint said in his review I'm surprised that someone hasn't tried to remake it. However I think a reamke could actually work if you focused less on her survival skills/everyday life stuff and turned it more into a police procrdual, it might take away from the spirit of the book/movie but I think that's about the only way to update it. The downside to a modern remake would be a heavy emphsis on gore (only one real "blood" shot), and probably a happy ending where there is lots of closure. That's one thing I liked you really don't know what happens next in these people's lives.

Anyways, really good performances overall but I really kind of feel sorry for Martin Sheen between this and Badlands I'm surprised he managed to break out of the pedo role in movies

I loved that it took place pretty much in 3 weeks time in that weird time period between Halloween and Thanksgiving, that's such a dreary time, as the weather is changing, things are kind in limbo, it's just a great setting for this kind of movie

I guess my only real complaint was that the coming of age romance angle seemed a little forced

anyways a great little flick and worth staying up for

I also started watching this movie, produced by the same person I think, called WICKED, WICKED

it was a cool little thriller with a spilt screen for the most part, but I fell asleep and don't know what all happened but I enjoyed the first 45 mintues or so I saw
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:14 pm

Rambo boxset

First Blood still holds up best and really is a great watch.

Parts 2 and 3 are a bit dodgy - the stories aren't as interesting and the acting goes downhill.

I think the fourth film does a good job of moving back to the feel of the first film, and is good, fun experience.

{The extra features are a bit mediocre on the set, considering it's supposed to be the "Ultimate edition".}
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:36 pm

I saw this movie called

BOARDING GATE

(It is the one with Asia Argento squating with a pistol in lingerie on the cover.)

I liked this movie a fair bit. It kinda felt like it was working up to being a David Mamet style paranoid excercise in the bigness of elaborate cons but stopped a bit short and ended up being slightly more believable but less impressive a film than your average Mamet big con movie.

Everybody's got all these complicated relationships and key details are left ambiguous as long as possible and it's all pretty fucking intriguing. This film also features a fair share of eroticon, and seeing as I rented this movie to oogle Asia, that made me happy. But it's truely erotic struff and not just B movie exploitation in my opinion.

I didn't pay any attention to who made the film until I returned it to my video retailer and found out it was made by the same dude who made this movie I saw called Irma Vep, which was way more of a Robert Altman style mood piece 'n arts community satire, so this dude has some breadth since this film is way more plot and intrigue driven. This guy also made a movie called Demonlover, which I have not seen but I think was better known in America. Anyway, this movie has a fair amount of character-driven mood scenes that have that same Mamet feel of being kinda like a stage play only filmed. I'll say that this guy has a better sense of the camera than Mamet, but he's not as great a writer.

I spent most of the movie wondering where it was going to go next, which is my favorite feeling in a movie, and it went on long after a point where a more conventional film would end. However the resolution was a bit more on the emotional side than unravelling any big mystery.

I'm really on the fence as to who I'd recommend this movie to, other than anybody who fancies a wank to Asia Argento. But I liked it, wasn't blown away, but it also intrigued me to check out more of this dude's movies.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:50 pm

I was on board for this movie most of the way through. It did have a very moody, noir-ish feel to it that worked up until the part at the end where she wakes up in that blonde lady's house. Then it just fell apart for me. Maybe because that blonde lady's delivery was so stilted, everything she said sounded incredibly stupid. Like a bad TV movie. Then it made the rest of the movie seem kind of shallow...if you're going to do that whole mysterious, atmospheric thriller type thing where you continually withhold information to keep the audience with you, I think you kind of have to tie it up somehow in the end. Mulholland Drive, for example, worked for me because the ending, in a really fucked up Lynch kind of way, actually made sense. This one...not so much. It was kind of underwhelming.

Also, I think Michael Madsen was miscast. Good effort, but he's just not a corporate thug. He's a regular thug.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Bloo on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:17 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I saw this movie called

BOARDING GATE

(It is the one with Asia Argento squating with a pistol in lingerie on the cover.)

I liked this movie a fair bit. It kinda felt like it was working up to being a David Mamet style paranoid excercise in the bigness of elaborate cons but stopped a bit short and ended up being slightly more believable but less impressive a film than your average Mamet big con movie.

Everybody's got all these complicated relationships and key details are left ambiguous as long as possible and it's all pretty fucking intriguing. This film also features a fair share of eroticon, and seeing as I rented this movie to oogle Asia, that made me happy. But it's truely erotic struff and not just B movie exploitation in my opinion.

I didn't pay any attention to who made the film until I returned it to my video retailer and found out it was made by the same dude who made this movie I saw called Irma Vep, which was way more of a Robert Altman style mood piece 'n arts community satire, so this dude has some breadth since this film is way more plot and intrigue driven. This guy also made a movie called Demonlover, which I have not seen but I think was better known in America. Anyway, this movie has a fair amount of character-driven mood scenes that have that same Mamet feel of being kinda like a stage play only filmed. I'll say that this guy has a better sense of the camera than Mamet, but he's not as great a writer.

I spent most of the movie wondering where it was going to go next, which is my favorite feeling in a movie, and it went on long after a point where a more conventional film would end. However the resolution was a bit more on the emotional side than unravelling any big mystery.

I'm really on the fence as to who I'd recommend this movie to, other than anybody who fancies a wank to Asia Argento. But I liked it, wasn't blown away, but it also intrigued me to check out more of this dude's movies.

sounds bizarelly interesting
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray