What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Betamax and beyond

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Rewatching all the old Harry Potter flicks with djj. (She's never seen them)
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:29 pm

Bayou wrote:Rewatching all the old Harry Potter flicks with djj. (She's never seen them)

I'm guessing she hasn't read the books.
Lemme know what her take is. One virgin to another.

Yeah, I know I'm stretching the hell out of "virgin". Eat me. E. A. T. Me. Yonks
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:01 pm

I saw ROMEO MUST DIE, this film is a slightly better but unfortunately Stathamless version of WAR. The reason Statham's not in this one is because this is a movie about Chinese gangs fighting black gangs in San Francisco and Statham is neither Chinese nor black and the only white dudes in this movie are a couple of Bateman type business schmucks, a role Statham definately could not play.

This movie isn't great, but I get the feeling it was aimed at 14 year olds and directed by a guy with more of a background in music videos than martial arts. DMX has a small role and should've featured more prominently, but his music is there and the whole soundtrack is mostly r&b and rap accompanying shots of expensive cars. However they just don't know how to dress Jet Li in this movie and he looks kinda dorky in all this Tommy Hillfigger stuff. I would've loved it if they'd had him in a Fubu jersey, but they could've at least got him a slick suit that fit him.

The movie does a pretty good job of giving black and Chinese culture equal screentime and respect. The fight scenes are okay, there's a good hose fight that isn't as good as the one Transporter 2, but still pretty good. The best part is Jet Li fighting a guy who kicks a BBQ at Jet Li, Jet blocks it but burns his hands badly doing so and then the bad guy starts literally ripping the burnt flesh off Jet's hands saying "Gimme some skin!"

Unfortunately the fights do feature a lot of really obvious CGI enhancement that wasn't necessary in my opinion.

I also have a question for anybody here who happens to be Chinese or know a lot about Chinese culture. Is it considered degrading for Chinese action stars to kiss women of other ethnicities on screen? I'm just saying this because I've seen a lot of movies like THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS, KISS OF THE DRAGON, and now this most of all, where they build up romantic tension between the leads but they don't even kiss. This movie is even a re-imaging of Romeo and Juliet with romance across gang lines. They go on dates such as getting ice cream in the park and beating assassins to death, but no kiss??? Is it that audiences back in China wouldn't want to see Chow Yun Phat snogging with Mira Sorvino, or Jet Li making out with Aliyah? Just a question.

Anyway, this movie is pretty good. Decent plot twists and momentum, but nothing extraordinary.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:24 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I also have a question for anybody here who happens to be Chinese or know a lot about Chinese culture. Is it considered degrading for Chinese action stars to kiss women of other ethnicities on screen? I'm just saying this because I've seen a lot of movies like THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS, KISS OF THE DRAGON, and now this most of all, where they build up romantic tension between the leads but they don't even kiss. This movie is even a re-imaging of Romeo and Juliet with romance across gang lines. They go on dates such as getting ice cream in the park and beating assassins to death, but no kiss??? Is it that audiences back in China wouldn't want to see Chow Yun Phat snogging with Mira Sorvino, or Jet Li making out with Aliyah? Just a question.

Because Americans want their Asians to kick ass and nothing else. It sickens me that our Asian brothers can't get a piece of ass in the movies. We don't have any Asian leading men in this here America who don't shoot guns or jump off shit. We need Asian leading men in romantic comedies, space movies, hot air balloon movies, costume dramas, and other kinds of movies that don't necessarily require the characters to be Asian. Why can't we have a police thriller where the main character is named Steve and he's Chinese, but nobody ever mentions it and he doesn't kick anybody in the face? And why can't Steve, who is Chinese but it's not a big deal, get down with a lady every once in a while? Because in America the Asian dude has to know fuckin' kung-fu. Denzel can play characters who don't necessarily have to be black, but if you put Jet Li in a movie he has to crush somebody's face or jump in slow motion. He can't just be a single father trying to raise his daughters in the Bronx or some shit. What the hell is wrong with this country? We've elected our first black president, now I want a fucking Asian leading man in Hollywood, winning Oscars and shit, and NOT crushing faces.

Make it happen, people who make the movies.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:12 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:I also have a question for anybody here who happens to be Chinese or know a lot about Chinese culture. Is it considered degrading for Chinese action stars to kiss women of other ethnicities on screen? I'm just saying this because I've seen a lot of movies like THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS, KISS OF THE DRAGON, and now this most of all, where they build up romantic tension between the leads but they don't even kiss. This movie is even a re-imaging of Romeo and Juliet with romance across gang lines. They go on dates such as getting ice cream in the park and beating assassins to death, but no kiss??? Is it that audiences back in China wouldn't want to see Chow Yun Phat snogging with Mira Sorvino, or Jet Li making out with Aliyah? Just a question.

Because Americans want their Asians to kick ass and nothing else. It sickens me that our Asian brothers can't get a piece of ass in the movies. We don't have any Asian leading men in this here America who don't shoot guns or jump off shit. We need Asian leading men in romantic comedies, space movies, hot air balloon movies, costume dramas, and other kinds of movies that don't necessarily require the characters to be Asian. Why can't we have a police thriller where the main character is named Steve and he's Chinese, but nobody ever mentions it and he doesn't kick anybody in the face? And why can't Steve, who is Chinese but it's not a big deal, get down with a lady every once in a while? Because in America the Asian dude has to know fuckin' kung-fu. Denzel can play characters who don't necessarily have to be black, but if you put Jet Li in a movie he has to crush somebody's face or jump in slow motion. He can't just be a single father trying to raise his daughters in the Bronx or some shit. What the hell is wrong with this country? We've elected our first black president, now I want a fucking Asian leading man in Hollywood, winning Oscars and shit, and NOT crushing faces.

Amen!

I was trying to think of an asian man who's played a romantic lead opposite a non-asian woman and the only thing I came up with was the Japanese dude in Hiroshima Mon Amour, but that's French anyway so it doesn't really count. I guess there's also Harold of Harold and Kumar but that doesn't count either because as we've seen from Tommy Chong asians can be in stoner comedies, they just can't make it with white women, apparently.

On a new subject, I just saw the Duchess and thought it was pretty much boring as fuck. In the trailers they make it seem like this duchess is going to be so revolutionary, or at least she's going to have some quality scandal to share with the world, but really she's just some lady who's married to an asshole, wears designer wigs, and has a brief fling with some boring young politician. Seriously when your protagonist is a woman living within the confines of a smothering aristocracy there is ALWAYS the drama of her not being able to give birth to a son, so that "dramatic" aspect didn't really do it for me at all. Plus this has to cover the span of at least 20 years and yet Keira Knightley doesn't change at all. The woman knocked out 36 children...there's only so much a corset could reasonably cinch. Basically if I had to watch another period piece centered around outrageous frippery and marital troubles filmed (shockingly!) mostly handheld so it doesn't come off as an A&E miniseries...I would turn on the vastly superior Marie Antoinette. I wish Keira Knightley would do some more modern shit like Domino.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Bloo on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:24 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:

...hot air balloon movies, costume dramas

well caruso, Jackie Chan was in AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS playing a char. that was orginally FRENCH and Chow Yun Phat did ANNA AND THE KING with Jodie Foster, but The King is supposed to be Asian I guess

there's your fucking Hot Air Balloon movie and your costume drama (i.e. most costume dramas are going to require your Asian lead to be well Asian, I don't think Elizabeth is going to have Sir Walter Raligh played by Samo instead of whoever played him in the movies, though I'd very much like to see Samo play Sir Walter Raligh)

I see your point

Ang Lee...some of his early stuff the Asians were just Asian weren't they

And Sulu in Star Trek (name withstanding) didn't HAVE to be Asian, I mean ANYONE could have been the navigator
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:07 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:

Because Americans want their Asians to kick ass and nothing else. It sickens me that our Asian brothers can't get a piece of love in the movies. Because in America the Asian dude has to know kung-fu. Denzel can play characters who don't necessarily have to be black, but if you put Jet Li in a movie he has to crush somebody's face or jump in slow motion. He can't just be a single father trying to raise his daughters in the Bronx or some something. What the hell is wrong with this country? We've elected our first black president, now I want an Asian leading man in Hollywood, winning Oscars and shit, and NOT crushing faces.

I thought about this, and it's a one way affection street right now. James Bond hooks up with lots of Asian women, notably Michelle Yeoh. Colin Farrell and Gong Li went at it like nobody's business in Miami Vice. But they never have an Asian man with a western woman.

Like I said, it was especially noticable in Romeo Must Die because it was supposed to be a love story and Aliyah's family is always yelling at her that she "can't see" Jet Li no more. But I don't even think they hold hands during the movie.

I agree that there should be more opportunities for Asian male leads to get the kinds of roles that would typically go to Mark Walhberg or whoever.

I think the man to do it Michael Mann himself. I could actually have seen Chow Yun Phat playing the DeNiro role in Heat. All brooding and dangerous, but no kung-fu powers or blatant John Woo bullet ballet. Just standard American guy shooting and punch swining. And of course the love story.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby darkjedijaina on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:04 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Bayou wrote:Rewatching all the old Harry Potter flicks with djj. (She's never seen them)

I'm guessing she hasn't read the books.
Lemme know what her take is. One virgin to another.

Yeah, I know I'm stretching the hell out of "virgin". Eat me. E. A. T. Me. Yonks

lol. yeah, i was a pure HP virgin. no books, no movies. now, i'm hooked! i've been wiki-ing stuff (no spoilers tho) and renting them and watching in order. watching Goblet of Fire tonight. so that's where i'm at so far, but i'm really enjoying it!
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:48 am

I just popped in Kill Bill Vol. 1.

I don't give a shit what anyone says. I fucking adore Vol. 1 + 2. Without remorse. It is, in my opinion, the best thing QT has done. Epic as shit and I find myself quoting it ad nauseam almost immediately after I finish watching it. So cool.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:57 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I just popped in Kill Bill Vol. 1.

I don't give a shit what anyone says. I fucking adore Vol. 1 + 2. Without remorse. It is, in my opinion, the best thing QT has done. Epic as shit and I find myself quoting it ad nauseam almost immediately after I finish watching it. So cool.

nope, JACKIE BROWN is QT's best work
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:32 am

Bloo wrote:nope, JACKIE BROWN is QT's best work

That's pretty damned presumptuous. And correct.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:24 am

I cannot agree.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:06 am

Shit, I can't swim, I know I can't. So you know what I do? I stay my black ass out the pool!
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:35 pm

I think it's his best and mature work here's why

the acting is stright forward, there's a little overacting but not a lot

it's a mature stroy, handled maturely

it has his homages (this time to the blaxplotation films) but at the same time isn't one homage right after another

and is just beautifully shot, and great, I love it
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Jenn7878 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:57 am

I am currently watching:

"Dark Shadows: The Beginning Vol. 1"
"Night Gallery: Season 2"
"My Bloody Valentine: Special Edition"
"Before Sunset" (Just watched it again, it's a brilliant film!)
"Kill Bill: Vol 1" Blu-Ray
Jenn7878
GLIB

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:19 pm

Just saw Last Action Hero and Predator 2.

Last Action Hero was flippin' awesome and I can't believe I hadn't seen it before.

Predator 2, while I appreciate the stuff with the Jamaicans ("Voodoo, maan"), was not at all realistic. Arnold had a harder time taking down the first Predator than Danny Glover, and obviously Arnold had the strength, badass-ness, and special force army combat skills to at least have a shot in hell against an alien hunter with super gadgets. Danny Glover calls him "Pussy Face," which is pretty hurtful, but other than that I don't believe he could have squared off against the Predator and taken him down. The very last part when he sticks him in the gut and the Predator is just flailing around even though he's holding a Super Spear in his hand? What the hell man. He could have just speared Danny Glover right back. Or even just bonked him on the head. Way too easy a take down.

But it was a pretty funny movie anyway.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby The Vicar on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:33 am

I'd give Danny Glover decent odds against Ahhnold - Glover comes in around 6' 3.5"
compared to Arnold's claimed 6' 2", but which has been surmised by people with nothing better to do with their time than nut this kind of shit out as anywhere between 5' 10" and 6' 0". Danny's got the nod in reach, flexibility and better upper body movement -
he stays on the outside and hammers Arnold's eyes shut.
Body builders make piss lousy fighters.
And governors.

also, Glover is a way cooler cat.....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Bloo on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:44 am

Glover also has Bill paxton backing him

and gary busey
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:27 am

Backup is my specialty!
caruso_stalker217

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:09 am

Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer

It's a nice, little movie, made by people ho knew what they were doing and even more important HOW to do it. What impressed me the most was how they played the whole movie straight. There was no "Look! We got funny rubber monsters! Isn't that cool?" or "Can you believe how fucking old school we are?" during the whole movie. And even more important: The 80's look and feel of it didn't seem to be a gimmick in any second. It was more like they just made a movie that they wanted to see and in the end it turned out that it works great as sincere 80's horror homage.
Okay, it isn't a perfect movie. It isn't scary, it isn't really funny (but on the other hand they don't really play it as a comedy, so it's okay) and there isn't much monster slaying (But they are telling an origin story here, so I think it's okay too). On the other hand it's less than 90 minutes long, has not many boring moments and while not being a modern masterpiece or even very memorable, I caught myself saying "Fuck, yeah" when I read a few minutes ago that they are working on part 2.

P.S.: Scorekeeper was right. The score IS great!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Jenn7878 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:08 pm

Saturday Night Live: The Complete Second Season http://www.amazon.com/Saturday-Night-Live-Complete-Second/dp/B000VNMMVG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1234299934&sr=8-3 Great stuff! It's light years ahead of what passes for SNL these days. Just watched the first episode with Lilly Tomlin the other night. Amazing.

21DVD http://www.blockbuster.com/movies/21.html A surprisingly solid film. I usually hate Kevin Spacey, but his authority figure character (as opposed to his martyr character - he only has two) was actually compelling.

Dark Shadows: The Beginning DVD http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Beginning-Collection-1/dp/B000QGDJGK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1234301833&sr=8-2 These first episodes of the show (before vampire Barnabus Collins was introduced) are highly addictive.

Death Defying Acts http://www.blockbuster.com/movies/death-defying-acts.html Was this film ever released theatrically? Caught this on cable last week. Guy Pierce plays Harry Houdini and falls for a fake psychic (Catherine Zeta-Jones). Expectations were low, but I ended up enjoying it.

Son of Rambow DVD http://www.blockbuster.com/movies/son-of-rambow.html Uneven but adorable little drama. I finally had to buy it on DVD.
Jenn7878
GLIB

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:37 pm

I watched a really absurd movie named Pirates 2 - Stagnetti's Revenge, which is as far as I know the most expensive porn movie ever. It's obviously, but not too obviously* ripping off POTC, crossing Pirates with fantasy elements. But because you probably don't wan't me to review porn here, I will from now on refer to it as a musical. (Hey, I'm not Herc. I know that AICN isn't about Porn.)

I'm not really a fan of musicals. I just hate it when people start to sing instead of going on with the story. Some musicals do it right, like 'Little Shop Of Horrors', where I always had the feeling that the songs tell the story and not that the story is there as an apology to let the actors sing, like in 'The Producers', 'Sweeney Todd' or every Disney movie from the 90's. And this was unfortunately the biggest flaw of 'Pirates 2 - Stagnetti's revenge'. The...uhm...singing took you totally out of the story and also ruined every comedy timing, wheni t was used as payoff for a joke.
For example pretty early in the movie we see the sister of one of the characters arrive with another ship. We hear the captain say that she must be a great masseuse, because he never saw a ship with so many relaxed sailors. And sometimes she would even massage two men at once. And where every other movie would now stop it and go on with the next scene, because the audience knows at this point that she is NOT just giving the sailors a massage, the movie is interrupted by a 10 minutes long musical number, where the girl sings with two men at the same time. And stuff like this is poison for comedy timing and the pacing of the story. Too bad that this happens 9 times or so throughout the movie. You wanna see what happens next, but suddenly they start to sing long and hard.
I'm not saying that the songs are bad, but I just don't get why they build a whole movie around them. People watch this special kind of musical to hear the songs, so they will just skip to them on the DVD. I don't think that there are many people like me who even bother with watching the rest of the movie.
And let me say that the parts without songs are pretty okay. The opening scene is surprisingly atmospheric, the costumes and art direction are beautiful (Not very original, but you can see that they spend much more time and money on them, than people usually do for this kind of movie) and the Special FX are not great but look much better than pretty much everything on the SciFi Channel. What really convinced me were the actors, because most of them were really acting! You don't get Shakespeare, but they are no wooden linereaders like, let's say Hayden Christensen in the Star Wars Prequels. Especially the guy who played the hero (forgot his name) was great. He played an a little bit cocky and foolish, but not too dumb and very likable lead and even managed to stay in character when one or two of his female co-stars sang into his microphone. All in all I gotta admit that the movie is full of likable characters and actors who visibly loved to play them. Like the Chinese, his sister and her soon-to-be-husband. Interesting is also that the script gets a thumb up from me. The story is pretty thin and would definitely work much better if the musical numbers wouldn't stretch the movie to over 130 minutes, but whoever wrote this has a talent for comedy. And I mean intentional comedy, not the awkward jokes that you can only laugh at when you are drunk and/or 12 years old and that we usually see in these movies. Some scenes just had me rolling on the floor (Like the one with the pirates who have never seen a Chinese before and think that he is the devil himself) and there is some highly quotabledialogue in this. ("First skeletons, now a giant seasquid. What an ass-pirate!" or "Why is it always the supernatural stuff? Why can't I just fight the normal pirates with an eyepatch, a wooden leg and a hook for a hand?" "Because they exist only in legends, sir.")
So yes, even if I had to fast-forward the musical numbers and watch them later I really enjoyed 'Pirates 2'. It's not a must-see, especially if you are offended by hardcore singing, but if you decide to watch it, don't do it just for the musical numbers. It's a little bit like that movie 'Space Truckers'. It knows what it is, doesn't take itself too serious without rubbing it in our faces and has enough memorable characters and moments that it makes you wish for a sequel.
Am i now banned?

*Which means that there are no characters who look like Jack Sparrow and the names aren't pornographic puns of the POTC characters either. In fact, they created their own universe.
Last edited by DerLanghaarige on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:08 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:We hear the captain say that she must be a great masseuse, because he never saw a ship with so many relaxed sailors. And sometimes she would even massage two men at once. And where every other movie would now stop it and go on with the next scene, because the audience knows at this point that she is NOT just giving the sailors a massage, the movie is interrupted by a 10 minutes long musical number, where the girl sings with two men at the same time. And stuff like this is poison for comedy timing and the pacing of the story. Too bad that this happens 9 times or so throughout the movie. You wanna see what happens next, but suddenly they start to sing long and hard.

:lol:
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:59 pm

great review...and like any good...musical, I'm sure there is 1 or 2 all female duets
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:06 pm

on an unrelated to...musicals...note

I'm watching The Good Life/Good Nieghbors on DVD

I'm really enjoying this slightly odd British sitcom from 75 or so
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:15 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:I watched a really absurd movie named Pirates 2 - Stagnetti's Revenge, which is as far as I know the most expensive porn movie ever. It's obviously, but not too obviously* ripping off POTC, crossing Pirates with fantasy elements. But because you probably don't wan't me to review porn here, I will from now on refer to it as a musical. (Hey, I'm not Herc. I know that AICN isn't about Porn.)

I'm not really a fan of musicals. I just hate it when people start to sing instead of going on with the story. Some musicals do it right, like 'Little Shop Of Horrors', where I always had the feeling that the songs tell the story and not that the story is there as an apology to let the actors sing, like in 'The Producers', 'Sweeney Todd' or every Disney movie from the 90's. And this was unfortunately the biggest flaw of 'Pirates 2 - Stagnetti's revenge'. The...uhm...singing took you totally out of the story and also ruined every comedy timing, wheni t was used as payoff for a joke.
For example pretty early in the movie we see the sister of one of the characters arrive with another ship. We hear the captain say that she must be a great masseuse, because he never saw a ship with so many relaxed sailors. And sometimes she would even massage two men at once. And where every other movie would now stop it and go on with the next scene, because the audience knows at this point that she is NOT just giving the sailors a massage, the movie is interrupted by a 10 minutes long musical number, where the girl sings with two men at the same time. And stuff like this is poison for comedy timing and the pacing of the story. Too bad that this happens 9 times or so throughout the movie. You wanna see what happens next, but suddenly they start to sing long and hard.
I'm not saying that the songs are bad, but I just don't get why they build a whole movie around them. People watch this special kind of musical to hear the songs, so they will just skip to them on the DVD. I don't think that there are many people like me who even bother with watching the rest of the movie.
And let me say that the parts without songs are pretty okay. The opening scene is surprisingly atmospheric, the costumes and art direction are beautiful (Not very original, but you can see that they spend much more time and money on them, than people usually do for this kind of movie) and the Special FX are not great but look much better than pretty much everything on the SciFi Channel. What really convinced me were the actors, because most of them were really acting! You don't get Shakespeare, but they are no wooden linereaders like, let's say Hayden Christensen in the Star Wars Prequels. Especially the guy who played the hero (forgot his name) was great. He played an a little bit cocky and foolish, but not too dumb and very likable lead and even managed to stay in character when one or two of his female co-stars sang into his microphone. All in all I gotta admit that the movie is full of likable characters and actors who visibly loved to play them. Like the Chinese, his sister and her soon-to-be-husband. Interesting is also that the script gets a thumb up from me. The story is pretty thin and would definitely work much better if the musical numbers wouldn't stretch the movie to over 130 minutes, but whoever wrote this has a talent for comedy. And I mean intentional comedy, not the awkward jokes that you can only laugh at when you are drunk and/or 12 years old and that we usually see in these movies. Some scenes just had me rolling on the floor (Like the one with the pirates who have never seen a Chinese before and think that he is the devil himself) and there is some highly quotabledialogue in this. ("First skeletons, now a giant seasquid. What an ass-pirate!" or "Why is it always the supernatural stuff? Why can't I just fight the normal pirates with an eyepatch, a wooden leg and a hook for a hand?" "Because they exist only in legends, sir.")
So yes, even if I had to fast-forward the musical numbers and watch them later I really enjoyed 'Pirates 2'. It's not a must-see, especially if you are offended by hardcore singing, but if you decide to watch it, don't do it just for the musical numbers. It's a little bit like that movie 'Space Truckers'. It knows what it is, doesn't take itself too serious without rubbing it in our faces and has enough memorable characters and moments that it makes you wish for a sequel.
Am i now banned?

*Which means that there are no characters who look like Jack Sparrow and the names aren't pornographic puns of the POTC characters either. In fact, they created their own universe.

I saw bits of the original one...
Which, before the sequel, was the most expensive "musical" ever made...
But I got it from a regular rental store, so it was the R/Unrated version...there was also an X rated version put out too...
Is that the same case as with the sequel...?

Oh, and to show my appreciation for their attempt at big budget musicals, I use this each year on "Talk Like a Pirate Day" for my sig...

All my scenes were left on the cutting room floor...
They were very big cuts...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:52 am

I saw ACE IN THE HOLE starring Kirk Douglas. It was an old-fashioned morality play, the sort of movie Tom Cruise has made a a portion of his career doing about some amoral schmuck who is a big success because he has no scrouples but then learns the value of blah blah blah. Douglas is pretty good as a shmucky journalist and I imagine the social satire would've been pretty cutting back when this movie came out in 1951. Jan Sterling looks like Katy Perry and has a pretty well-developed character.

In fact, this movie pays a lot of attention to the whole supporting cast. Some of you guys may have seen the animated reimagining of this movie performed by The Simpsons when Bart Simpson pretended to be stuck in a well. I preferred this old version.

I also watched TROPIC THUNDER. I thought the trailer for this was laugh free and I generally don't like comedies and especially not ones starring Ben Stiller or Jack Black, but for some reason I felt compelled to watch this and I'm glad I did. I had a really good time watching this movie. Like usual, the professional funnymen's performances just aren't funny to me. But the real actors who actually commit to playing their characters straight are great. Bob Downey Jr and Tom Cruise are hilarious in this movie. Stiller has lots of ideas and keeps the movie moving and avoids a lot of the cliches of modern comedy. So I dunno, I don't like comedy movies but I liked this one. Take that for what it's worth.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Seppuku on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:02 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I saw ACE IN THE HOLE starring Tony Curtis. It was an old-fashioned morality play, the sort of movie Tom Cruise has made a a portion of his career doing about some amoral schmuck who is a big success because he has no scrouples but then learns the value of blah blah blah. Curtis is pretty good as a shmucky journalist and I imagine the social satire would've been pretty cutting back when this movie came out in 1951. Jan Sterling looks like Katy Perry and has a pretty well-developed character.

In fact, this movie pays a lot of attention to the whole supporting cast. Some of you guys may have seen the animated reimagining of this movie performed by The Simpsons when Bart Simpson pretended to be stuck in a well. I preferred this old version.

Ace in the Hole/The Big Carnival starred Kirk Douglas, not Tony Curtis! Great, underrated Billy Wilder movie. And that Simpsons episode with Sting did rip it off wholesale, didn't it? And not in a Family Guy kind of way, either. It was basically the plot of Ace in the Hole but set in Springfield... Although I guess they also worked in a few cracks in there against awful Celebrity Tribute Songs.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:27 am

Sorry, I always mix up Tony Curtis and Kirk Douglas and I even checked IMDB before typing my little blurb and then must've mixed it up in my mind again once I started typing.

And they make fun of the tribute song in this too. Some church singer types write and perform a theme song for the dude trapped under the rock and sell the sheet music and lyrics to people who gather to watch.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:39 pm

In the slow, torturous crawl that is my bid to watch films that must be watched, I've just seen Frankenheimer's Manchurian Candidate.

The bottle and a half of Californian Red demands that I fail to discuss this in detail - however, point A: I'd heard that Sinatra can act - now I believe it; Point B: Having found her reassuringly twee in Bedknobs, and just plain fucking irritating in Murder She Wrote - I can now categorically state that Angela Lansbury is the most chilling, ice-cold bitch ever committed to the silver screen.

Spoiler

Am I the only one who finds the natural brain-washing of her husband a thousand times more horrific than that of her son?
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:42 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:In the slow, torturous crawl that is my bid to watch films that must be watched, I've just seen Frankenheimer's Manchurian Candidate.

The bottle and a half of Californian Red demands that I fail to discuss this in detail - however, point A: I'd heard that Sinatra can act - now I believe it; Point B: Having found her reassuringly twee in Bedknobs, and just plain fucking irritating in Murder She Wrote - I can now categorically state that Angela Lansbury is the most chilling, ice-cold bitch ever committed to the silver screen.

Spoiler

Am I the only one who finds the natural brain-washing of her husband a thousand times more horrific than that of her son?

Hey Doc! Great to see you!

Damned fine film...it's been ages since I've seen it. but as for your spoiler...no you are most definitely not alone.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:49 pm

Hey there Moo - hope you're doing well, man :D

I'm on a roll - I finally saw Night of the Hunter two days ago. Great film - I'm amazed Mitchum ever got a good guy role, if that was his breakout film! I'm not sure too many of today's studio execs would have greenlit the film with that ending. We'd need to €actually see him (Mitchum) hang and the kid getting confused with his own Dad's arrest would be deemed too ambiguous!

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:00 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:Hey there Moo - hope you're doing well, man :D

I'm on a roll - I finally saw Night of the Hunter two days ago. Great film - I'm amazed Mitchum ever got a good guy role, if that was his breakout film! I'm not sure too many of today's studio execs would have greenlit the film with that ending. We'd need to €actually see him (Mitchum) hang and the kid getting confused with his own Dad's arrest would be deemed too ambiguous!

Doc! The Zone is a little more complete today.

I have to be honest. My Mitchum experience goes about as far as knowing him as the narrator from Tombstone, and that's about it. Although I do know that he was supposed to play Hooker in that film, but they gave the role to Heston when Mitchum became too ill.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:32 pm

Hey there Nacho - long time no speak huh? Glad to see you still keeping things real on teh Zone...

I'm nowhere near well-versed in Micthum's work - for the longest time my experience was purely a see-saw between 'Generic American Brigadier General' in The Longest Day and a questionable Phillip Marlowe in The Big Sleep.

He's produced an enormous back catalogue - I strongly recommend starting either with Night of the Hunter for what must still rank as one of the strongest depictions of pure evil, or better yet, check out the original Max Cady from the original Cape Fear.

Just make sure you leave the lights on when you turn in for the night...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:24 pm

Now that you mention it, I've seen The Longest Day. Forgot he was in that. But I've never seen the orignal Cape Fear, other than just catching a clip in passing. I might check it out.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bloo on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:51 pm

Another great Mitchum film that MUST be seen is TRACK OF THE CAT

I have a poorly recorded copy from TCM on VHS that sorely needs to be replaced on DVD but it's an amazing film
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Jenn7878 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Recent rentals:

Salo: 120 Days of Sodom http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Salo/70099045?lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=1411929128_0_0 Wow! Wasn't expecting it to be... what it was. This is difficult stuff!

Donnie Darko: Director's Cut http://www.netflix.com/Movie/70012015 Flippen brilliant!

The Forbidden Kingdom http://www.blockbuster.com/movies/the-forbidden-kingdom.html Okay... not great.

The Other Boleyn Girl http://www.blockbuster.com/movies/the-other-boleyn-girl.html Mediocre

Young at Heart http://www.blockbuster.com/movies/young-heart.html Unexpected treat!!! Great movie!

Vantage Point http://www.blockbuster.com/movies/vantage-point.html Not bad.
Jenn7878
GLIB

Postby Bloo on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:41 am

RENT:LIVE ON BROADWAY

a recording of the "last" performance on B-Way, it's not bad, little things that I probably wouldn't notice on stage (like the Han Solo mics they wear) stand out to me

the screaming fans don't help much either

and they actually included the intermission which I thought was strange, but whatever

I also watched APALOOSA which i loved loved loved
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:00 pm

So I'm still doing this movie night thingy. Last week we had some excellent selections. We started off with House of Yes and Polyester, both of which I thoroughly (thoroughly!) enjoyed. Those were recommendations from my friend. The theme by the way was "family values" so those fit in nicely in a fucked up kind of way. Then I recommended Safe from that Haynes fellow. I'd never seen it but I'd heard it was quite good. I very much liked Velvet Goldmine so I was like, hey why not let's give it a shot. I should disclose at this point that I was quite drunk as usual at this time- a veritable Patsy from Ab Fab (fuck me I love that show now!)- but all the same I think it was, as the Russkies say, Безобразие! That's right it was rubbish! If I wanted to look at meticulously composed frames I'd go to a fucking art museum. Is it too much to ask to be entertained?? Julianne Moore was безобрание in that as well as far as I'm concerned.

Oh shit I had a point to this post though. Right so for the next time the theme is "80s comedy sequels made in the 90s" (totally my brainchild by the way...feeblebrainchild but brainchild nonetheless). I haven't thought too much into it but so far alls I've come up with is "Weekend at Bernies 2" "3 Men and a Little Lady" and "Look who's talking 2". I haven't seen any of these movies. I've only seen their originals. But they're all pretty weaksauce so if anyone has a recommendation I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks!!!
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Seppuku on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:24 pm

The ones I can think of right now are Naked Gun 2 & 1/2, one of the '90s National Lampoons movies (like Natonal Lampoon's Loaded Gun), maybe Bride of Chucky (anyone who tells you this isn't a comedy hasn't seen it) and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:29 pm

Seppuku wrote:The ones I can think of right now are Naked Gun 2 & 1/2, one of the '90s National Lampoons movies (like Natonal Lampoon's Loaded Gun), maybe Bride of Chucky (anyone who tells you this isn't a comedy hasn't seen it) and Bill & Ted's Bogus Adventure.

Ahh good recs all around! I'd definitely watch a Naked Gun or Bride of Chucky sequel over 3 Men and A little Lady. I dont know why all I could think of were these baby movies (my biological clock is my nemesis...)
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Bloo on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:53 pm

I was going to suggust Bill and Ted's Bogus Journeyas well

also FLETCH LIVES and Beverley Hills Cop 3

possibly BTTF 2 and 3
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Seppuku on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:04 pm

There are also the Gremlins sequels if they count as comedy.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Bloo on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:50 am

Another I thought of was Home Alone 2&3 (I think 2 was in the 90s--1 might have been as well, not sure but it feels 80s) and Vegas Vaction

Ghostbusters 2 possibly
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:37 am

watched "Gangster #1" tonight, with Paul Bettany and Malcolm McDowell. liked it alright, some interesting shots and editing choices, a real fucked up scene where Bettany hacks the shit out of some dude. ending was a bit underwhelming, but then i think maybe that was what the filmmaker was going for, not giving Bettany/McDowell a big, dramatic "end" , rather one that was lonely and unimpressive. 6 out of 10

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:43 am

Bloo wrote:Another I thought of was Home Alone 2&3 (I think 2 was in the 90s--1 might have been as well, not sure but it feels 80s) and Vegas Vaction

Ghostbusters 2 possibly

Thanks for the suggestions, bloo! This is going to be one cheese-filled movie night!
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:11 am

Bloo wrote:Beverley Hills Cop 3

I was having a really shitty day at work today and I was thinking about this movie. God, it's terrible.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:04 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
Bloo wrote:Another I thought of was Home Alone 2&3 (I think 2 was in the 90s--1 might have been as well, not sure but it feels 80s) and Vegas Vaction

Ghostbusters 2 possibly

Thanks for the suggestions, bloo! This is going to be one cheese-filled movie night!

BTTF sequels and Fletch Lives are about the best of the bunch

and no problem, finally my anal rentivie (you can't be anal rentetive if you don't have an anus--sorry just watched Dogma last night) compulsion/OCD to have a complete sets of shit is paying off
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:05 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:Beverley Hills Cop 3

I was having a really shitty day at work today and I was thinking about this movie. God, it's terrible.

yes, yes it is
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby BlueHawaiiSurfer on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:34 pm

I watched Grenlins today. I haven't seen this movie in YEARS and I decided it was time to watch it again. I watched it with one of my kids and sort of relived the magic as his reactions were probably similar to my own the first time I saw the movie when I was 13 at the theater. I forgot how funny and original (for the time) this movie was.
Last edited by BlueHawaiiSurfer on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueHawaiiSurfer
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray