What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Betamax and beyond

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:30 am

Peven wrote:still, it wasn't part of the story that the movies gave, and therefore is out of play. what happens in the comic world is separate from what happens in the movie world, two different dimensions entirely, man.......

YEah I agree, but I just wanted to point out that Anderson had source material (the comic book universe) to pull ideas from... he didn't come up with that stuff himself.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:29 am

Alright, you guys stirred my curiosity so I rented THE VIRGIN SUICIDES.

This movie starts off seeming like I am going to hate it. All this dry removed narration about quarky characters with silly names and warm photographing of dinky novelty objects and Danny DeVito showing up made cringe and think I was watching a bloody Wes Anderson movie. Which is something I don't like watching.

But then about 15 minutes in it switched gears at an awkward party scene and Sofia Coppola starts busting out the same bunch of skills that made me love Lost In Translation so much. She's got a great knack for getting very natural performances and capturing moods and building very realistic dynamics between characters.

I find movies typically have a very hard time really capturing the way siblings relate and this movie was totally convincing. Not only did these actresses look alike, but they felt like they'd grown up together. There was just that comfort there between them.

The film felt almost like Stand By Me retrofitted from character drama to mood piece. You've got all the same coming-of-age and obessesion-with-death-stuff but it's not the ideas as much as the atmosphere that really sell this thing. More like Y Tu Mama Tambien.

Coppola gets a really good performance out of my personal favorite, James "Traitor" Woods, but also manages to make me like two actors I normally think are annoying: Kirsten Dunst and Joshua Harrttnnette. But did anybody else notice Dunst's eyes kept changing colours throughout the film? I know some people's eyes go between green and blue depending on the light, but then they're brown in some shots? So it was either a continuity error or a technical one.

Coppola also once again (or I guess since she did this film first I should say "once before") shows she's really good at integrating known actors with unknowns and doing the same thing with her music, mixing well known hits and lesser known stuff. I find there are very few directors who can use known music well in films without it overpowering the film. I really hate Cameron Crowe because most of his movies feel like he'd rather be a DJ than a filmmaker and I thought Zach Snyder's mix tape killed a good chunk of his Watchmen movie. But Coppola just relates to music the same way I do.

I'm not sure to whom I would recommend this film, and I don't even see myself revisiting it any time soon or terribly often. It's a movie I could see myself watching every ten years or so, but I have to say I was really impressed. A very unique film.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:44 am

I watched for the first time the original old timey Japanese movie flick GOJIRA. Unfortunately, I had just gotten off work and I kept falling asleep. Except I was only falling asleep through the best shit in these movies which is GODZILLA FUCKING SHIT UP. So I saw all the boring shit with the people talking about their personal bullshit. Disappointing.

But don't think I didn't notice fucking Kambei from SEVEN SAMURAI, motherfucker.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:50 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I watched for the first time the original old timey Japanese movie flick GOJIRA. Unfortunately, I had just gotten off work and I kept falling asleep. Except I was only falling asleep through the best shit in these movies which is GODZILLA FUCKING SHIT UP. So I saw all the boring shit with the people talking about their personal bullshit. Disappointing.

But don't think I didn't notice fucking Kambei from SEVEN SAMURAI, motherfucker.

I've seen both, the original Japenese version and the American edited version, I love the Raymond Burr stuff in the original I gotta admit
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat May 02, 2009 5:53 am

I seem to use "shit" a lot in my posts.
caruso_stalker217

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 02, 2009 6:58 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I seem to use "shit" a lot in my posts.

motherfucker too....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Bloo on Sat May 02, 2009 7:01 am

caught EVIL DEAD 2 on TCM of all places tonight

damn that movie is awesome
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Al Shut on Sat May 02, 2009 7:54 am

Have I ever mentioned how much I love the Lois de Funes gendarme movies?

Because I do.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun May 03, 2009 8:12 am

Last Night I caught Demolition Man on TV and damn, I forgot how crazy that movie is. It starts kinda dark, but all of a sudden there is this goofy shit going on, like the guy behind the piano who sings old commercials or when Sly starts to knit a pullover. And of course the three shells. It's one of the few good mixes between goofy humor and serious action. I just wish that Wesley Snipes would've played his character more serious and less over the top. He never felt really threatening, not even when he killed people. All of his MurderDeathKills were kinda played for laughs. But since the movie was purposely goofy anyway, I can live with that.

And I saw Lilo & Stich this morning. Even though the movie is heavily cut in Germany (I'm not kidding!), it was a very enjoyable thing to watch. The story is sweet, there is a lot to laugh ("My dog found the chainsaw") and the Hawaiian setting is original and looks beautiful. I just wish they would finally release an uncut DVD over here.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby John-Locke on Sun May 03, 2009 9:07 am

I finally got around to watching Das Boot last night, I've seen bits and pieces of the TV version over the years but because I never caught the first episode I didn't want to committed to it. Well the Directors Cut was on TV last night and I was ready to commit to the 3.5 hours, so glad I did as it was so much better than I ever expected. One of the best War films ever made and certainly the absolute best film set on a submarine, it ticks all the boxes, it's tense, claustrophobic, brilliantly edited, shot and scripted and the acting is top notch and the relationships between all the crew was well examined (although I am curious to see the longer TV version with these relationships examined further, probably not for a few years though). I thought I had the ending ruined for me on one of those 100 Greatest clip shows which made me assume absolutely everyone died in the sub at the end and I'm not so sure that wouldn't have been a better way to end it, not that the actual ending was bad but it did seem a little abrupt.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun May 03, 2009 10:12 am

It's not as good as K-19.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby John-Locke on Sun May 03, 2009 10:57 am

K-19 isn't even as good as K-9 which itself isn't as good as K-Pax, Das Boot is better than them all (as if you didn't already know that).
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby travis-dane on Sun May 03, 2009 1:30 pm

John-Locke wrote:K-19 isn't even as good as K-9 which itself isn't as good as K-Pax, Das Boot is better than them all (as if you didn't already know that).

Kevin Spacey and a German Shepherd in a Nazi U-Boot, singing a song with Grönemeyer directed by Boll could work.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Al Shut on Sun May 03, 2009 1:32 pm

I dunno James Belushi and a dog are hard to beat
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun May 03, 2009 4:53 pm

Yeah but Rihanna isn't.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun May 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Just started watching the end of The Devil's Own. Brad Pitt you'll always be a pretty boy actor to me. At least half the reason for your success is 'cos you're a pretty boy, and that will NEVER go away. Even I don't wanna look like you, I don't go for that vanity shit.

I just wanna look like Harrison Ford.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Hermanator X on Mon May 04, 2009 2:44 am

John-Locke wrote:I finally got around to watching Das Boot last night,

Fun fact: A guy at work owns one of the model submarines from Das Boot, but he has never seen the movie. He just likes model boats and subs. :shock:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 04, 2009 10:39 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Just started watching the end of The Devil's Own. Brad Pitt you'll always be a pretty boy actor to me. At least half the reason for your success is 'cos you're a pretty boy, and that will NEVER go away. Even I don't wanna look like you, I don't go for that vanity shit.

I just wanna look like Harrison Ford.

"OIU WAHNT DHAT MOHNEY THOHM!"
- Brad Pitt, Irishman, 1997
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 04, 2009 10:47 am

John-Locke wrote:I finally got around to watching Das Boot last night, I've seen bits and pieces of the TV version over the years but because I never caught the first episode I didn't want to committed to it. Well the Directors Cut was on TV last night and I was ready to commit to the 3.5 hours, so glad I did as it was so much better than I ever expected. One of the best War films ever made and certainly the absolute best film set on a submarine, it ticks all the boxes, it's tense, claustrophobic, brilliantly edited, shot and scripted and the acting is top notch and the relationships between all the crew was well examined (although I am curious to see the longer TV version with these relationships examined further, probably not for a few years though). I thought I had the ending ruined for me on one of those 100 Greatest clip shows which made me assume absolutely everyone died in the sub at the end and I'm not so sure that wouldn't have been a better way to end it, not that the actual ending was bad but it did seem a little abrupt.

I think the Director's Cut is the best way to view it. The story definitely benefits from the extra character padding, but doesn't drag on a bit too long (as I thought the TV series version did).

It does take claustrophobia to the max, even going as far as never showing the viewer what's going on outside the submarine during warfare - if they didn't see it, we don't see it - so you're never sure quite what the ship's going through, other than what the crew thinks.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:It's not as good as K-19.

K-19 was, surprisingly, good too I thought. That, Das Boot, and Kelsey Grammar's Down Periscope, make for the ultimate in submarine-based motion pictures.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 04, 2009 1:30 pm

K19 when you get past the initial flaws, like Ford's half assed accent, is actually a very and suprisingly edge of seat drama in the last half. A lot of jeapordy and what feels like the fate of the world hanging on Ford's decisions on what to do with the submarine. I think people need to give this film more of a chance for you can't deny that when the fate of the subs has been resolved, you do sigh one breath of relief as you have been on quite a tense and harrowing ride. And yes, there is a rather tragic end in that mix as well.

But Das Boot seems that it will forever reign as the most supreme submarine movie of them all. You really do have to see the TV series as well though. You really are missing out on that. I don't think the 3 1/2 hour cut does the ordeal of these guys justice when you know what the TV series gives. We used to sit and watch that everytime it was on at home. You really do get that sense of what a nightmare it was to be holed up in that sub with all that death and suffering. Yeah, and that ending, so damn gutting, not just for the men on that boat, but also the sub 'herself'. So deflating.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby thefraze on Mon May 04, 2009 3:51 pm

I've been watching:

Amelie
The Hidden Fortress
Throne of Blood
Seven Samurai
30 Rock: Season 2
Flash Gordon and the Space Soliders

Watching Yojimbo and the "X-Men Trilogy" this week - mainly to wash out the terrible taste of Wolverine...
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Seven Samurai and he Hidden forress are brilliant films aren't they? Haven't seen enough of Amelie. Only seen it once, despite all the TV showings of it. Lovely little film.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby thefraze on Mon May 04, 2009 4:23 pm

Absolutely - I hadn't seen Hidden Fortress before, or Throne of Blood, but I love them - amazing, amazing films.

I'm controlling the urge to buy every Kurosawa Criterion Collection release.
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 04, 2009 4:48 pm

What was Throne of Blood like?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby thefraze on Mon May 04, 2009 5:36 pm

It's MacBeth, done in Samurai Japan Kurosawa-style. It's very, very good - Toshirô Mifune is excellent as always. You'll notice several actors are from Seven Samurai/Hidden Fortress.
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon May 04, 2009 7:20 pm

THRONE OF BLOOD is the shit.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon May 04, 2009 11:37 pm

Caught most of the original CAPE FEAR on Encore. Mitchum is a fuckin' scumbag. Peck is not to be fucked with. Martin Balsam plays Peck's cop friend. I guess I'm a fucking moron because I didn't realize that Balsam was Juror #1 in 12 ANGRY MEN until I saw him in this. Telly Savalas also shows up, with hair. Overall I thought it was pretty well-made, though I missed the last forty minutes. Anyway, think I'll have to put this and Scorsese's remake on Netflix. Also, the girl who plays Peck's daughter is either twelve or sixteen. Can't tell.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Tue May 05, 2009 1:05 am

Fried Gold wrote:K-19 was, surprisingly, good too I thought. That, Das Boot, and Kelsey Grammar's Down Periscope, make for the ultimate in submarine-based motion pictures.

aggreed, except you have to add in THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, one of McT's finest films
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Tue May 05, 2009 1:09 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:What was Throne of Blood like?

pure sheer awesomnesses
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue May 05, 2009 7:06 am

Throne of Blood is awesome. We watched as part of our OMC remake round.

My favorite Kurosawa movie is THE BAD SLEEP WELL, aka BAD SLEEP WELL. It's not even a samurai movie, it's a modern story about corporate accountability and it's more touching than a drunk uncle in your bedroom late at night.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue May 05, 2009 10:34 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Caught most of the original CAPE FEAR on Encore. Mitchum is a fuckin' scumbag. Peck is not to be fucked with. Martin Balsam plays Peck's cop friend. I guess I'm a fucking moron because I didn't realize that Balsam was Juror #1 in 12 ANGRY MEN until I saw him in this. Telly Savalas also shows up, with hair. Overall I thought it was pretty well-made, though I missed the last forty minutes. Anyway, think I'll have to put this and Scorsese's remake on Netflix. Also, the girl who plays Peck's daughter is either twelve or sixteen. Can't tell.

They used Bernard Herrman's original score in the remake because it was so damn good.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby thefraze on Wed May 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Watched Kurosawa's 1961 film, "Yojimbo" last night - simply amazing, of course.

In the past two weeks I've watched:

The Hidden Fortress
Throne of Blood
Seven Samurai
Yojimbo

Coming up:

Rashoman
Kagemusha
Ran
The Bad Sleep Well
Ikiru
Red Beard
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 06, 2009 11:37 pm

Okay, so I ended up buying Scorsese's CAPE FEAR remake on a whim after work, forgetting that it is already en route from Netflix. So I kinda fucked myself on that one. Forget everything they taught you in high school English, because this thing is poorly fucking written and get ready to eye-muff the kids:

CARUSO REVIEWS CAPE FEAR
(spoilers ahoy! [cuz, you know, the third act is on a boat {also, there are spoilers}])

You know, this Scorsese guy. I really don't get it. So I'm watching the movie and already the credits are pretty annoying and Herrman's music just doesn't fit what I'm watching. And there's this shit at the beginning with Juliette Lewis talking into the camera and at the end of the movie she fucking narrates, like why is the narration there? And why is Juliette Lewis delivering it? Maybe I'm a little hard on her (I'd do her) but I don't think she's a very good actor. But I'm man enough to say that she gives a very good performance here.

But I still don't know what the fuck I'm watching. Is this a comedy? There's funny stuff in there, like Jessica Lange banishing Nolte to the couch. I know I'm supposed to laugh at that. But am I supposed to laugh when he slips in Bufford Pusser's blood and he trips Lange and they both scream and writhe around in the blood? I hope so, because I laughed pretty hard at that.

And Scorsese, he can't help but fucking squat and take a shit all over this thing. All the goofy camera moves that call attention to themselves, what purpose do they serve? All the flashes and negative images, etc. Why? Sometimes this shit is so over the top and the music is so fucking loud it took me out of the movie. Then there are these really great fucking intense and well-acted scenes. The seduction scene with De Niro and Juliette, I mean, that is some great shit. We know this guy is the fucking scum of the earth but he's also very charming and hell I'd probably be sucking his thumb at that point. I guarantee that's the scene that got De Niro an Oscar nomination. So to go from some great creepy shit like that to De Niro with his face looking like a pizza taking a swim yelling "BLBALAOUBBLBUBLBAUALAUBUBLABKLABLUBUUBLAUBUBAUIBUBLABLBLAKDJKBABLBLBABABBAUBALKAKBJAUA!" is truly a fucking disgrace.

I'm not gonna write the film off completely. Like I said it's got some pretty good acting in it. I think Jessica Lange is pretty good here, I don't know. When she tearfully recounts the incident with the dog getting poisoned I thought she was convincing, but she keeps flapping her hands and wiping her face and neck, it's kinda distracting. She does the same thing later. I don't know, maybe that's what she does when she's upset. Weird. And there's some good dramatic shit between her and Nolte when talk of his infidelity comes up. And I really enjoyed seeing Lange in a tanktop getting all wet and covered with mud. Yes, please, some more of that.

Nolte is pretty good here, but he's not Gregory Peck. Gregory Peck is a lawyer in this, but not the lawyer he played in the original movie. That would be Nick Nolte. He's more like Foghorn Leghorn with a mustache. Kinda ridiculous. Robert Mitchum is more convincing as the sheriff, but goddamn it's weird seeing him this fucking old. Especially having seen him recently in the original movie. Fuck.

Overall, I didn't find myself giving much of a shit about these people. Yeah, in the original the family is picture perfect, everybody's happy, but I liked those people more. I mean when Peck goes to his desk and takes out the gun it's like, "Hell yeah." And then he gets in his car and drives away and his wife immediately calls the police and it's like, "Fuck, she's right. He's doing the wrong thing here" and then he comes back in a moment later, looking defeated, and he goes to his wife and she embraces him. That's some powerful shit. In Scorsese's version these people don't even like each other, so why should I give a shit?

De Niro is good when he isn't going over the top, or when he's getting the shit beat out of him with lead pipes. That scene where he assaults Illeana Douglas is some pretty sick shit, too. I mean that shit is rough. I guess if I cared about anybody in this movie it would be her. I would have enjoyed a wet tanktop scene with her. Alas, it was not meant to be.

So, overall, this isn't earning Scorsese any more cred with me. Once again I find myself watching a film that has a lot of potential to be great if the execution wasn't so goddamn sloppy. If you can't tell if you're watching a comedy or not, I think that's a problem. One minute you're watching a tense thriller, the next it's the fuckin' Looney Toons or something with De Niro's head bursting into flames. For a moment there on the boat I thought De Niro was just gonna flat out ass-rape Nolte. Which would have been pretty ballsy, actually. I mean that's a great way to fuck with the audience. Straight up man-on-man butt rape. Instead we watch the boat get torn to pieces as Nick Nolte flies out of the water several times in reverse (WHAT THE FUCK!) before washing up on a soundstage and having a rock fight with De Niro.

So, yeah. I'm not sure about that.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Thu May 07, 2009 1:23 am

caruso, I mentioned this over in OLEG thread, but I think you're being too hard on Scorcese (slightly different post there though)

I'm sure someone here can help me on this but it was basically a "for hire" job from a studio to help finance either Kundun or Goodfellas or to make up for Last Temptation of Christ

and you're right about the acting, but I think Scorecese is a much better "actor's director" then his 70s counterparts, he can take an actor of just about any range and make them great, more so then almost any of his 70s brethren (still working today)

I think he cheapens himself when he does the fancy camera tricks, he could have a static camera and just direct the actors and they would be great methinks
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu May 07, 2009 4:12 am

Bloo wrote:caruso, I mentioned this over in OLEG thread, but I think you're being too hard on Scorcese (slightly different post there though)

I'm sure someone here can help me on this but it was basically a "for hire" job from a studio to help finance either Kundun or Goodfellas or to make up for Last Temptation of Christ

and you're right about the acting, but I think Scorecese is a much better "actor's director" then his 70s counterparts, he can take an actor of just about any range and make them great, more so then almost any of his 70s brethren (still working today)

I think he cheapens himself when he does the fancy camera tricks, he could have a static camera and just direct the actors and they would be great methinks

It was a 'for hire' job - but it was also a conscious choice on his part. Scorcese wanted the challenge of making a more formulaic, mainstream film, to see what he could do with it. He spent months with De Niro sifting through scripts until finally, they both agreed upon Cape Fear.

Once chosen, he gave the film as much thought and attention as any other film he has set out to make.

(Taken from 'Scorsese on Scorsese')
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Thu May 07, 2009 4:14 am

Doc Holliday wrote:
Bloo wrote:caruso, I mentioned this over in OLEG thread, but I think you're being too hard on Scorcese (slightly different post there though)

It was a 'for hire' job - but it was also a conscious choice on his part. Scorcese wanted the challenge of making a more formulaic, mainstream film, to see what he could do with it. He spent months with De Niro sifting through scripts until finally, they both agreed upon Cape Fear.

Once chosen, he gave the film as much thought and attention as any other film he has set out to make.

(Taken from 'Scorsese on Scorsese')

well I wouldn't expect anything less from Scorsese, but didn't he kind of already do that with THE COLOR OF MONEY, it certainly wasn't a film that broke any new ground, just gave Newman the chance to shine and work with Scorsese
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu May 07, 2009 6:43 am

Cape Fear - a bloody well made and acted thriller - that doesn't thrill enough, or is curiously not scary. I remember watching this movie wen it came out after all the hype people gave it about being so scary, but when I watched it I couldn't help but come out feeling like the movie had failed me or I had failed the movie. Just a deflated feeling.

Again, I think Scorsese is more a film maker than a movie maker, if you get that drift, do I ave to explain that to you guys here? Trying to make a popular thrill ride piece of entertainment, I dunno if the guy 'gets it' and how to do this. I hate to bang on about him, but Spielberg was once considering making this film I think. One wonders with his instinct for creating a dream family situation and his touch for things 'dark' how the film under his hand would be? One thing I do reckon, is that it would succeed more in making you fear for the family and that would create more edge of seat panic for you, seeing the family being broken up and hunted to death, showing you also how Cady can not only destroy them physically, but that even a tight, solid happy loving family can have it's armour broken and that manipulation can penetrate into it and then have the family tearing themselves apart and falling out of love with each other. That is more disturbing to me than a guy trying to kill them with an axe - that the Devil or someone that you hate can get into your hearts and souls, and end up making you hate or kill the very person that you originally loved. This movie always had the same themes as Othello, Iago's hate for Othello making him play the worst mind games on the guy, driving Othello to fall from grace and kill his very own wife, Desdemona. When I read that play I was disturbed as shit, for real. Felt like throwing the book down as it was GENUINE the fear. For like the first time, a piece of fiction had taught me just how any man, no matter who they were, and any MIND, can be controlled like a robot to do anything for ANYONE. It wasn't a harmless fear that you appreciate to the effect a piece of entertainment gave you, it was REAL.

Where was I? Oh yeah, and Internal Affairs did this too. Richard Gere fucking with Andy Garcia's mind and making him beat up and nearly split up with his own wife. Imagine that someone can do this to YOU. That we ALL have this weak side. It all felt very real. Were was I again? Oh, Cape Fear. So, yeah, that was the main theme waiting there to be explored and had the shit directed out of it in this film. But it never happened. Well the effect on me didn't happen anyway. One wonders why this is? Or back to Spielberg's take on it over Scorsy. Well Spielberg wanted a perfect family situation or a better one than Scorsese had here. So you would have had a thing of beauty, then see in horror how it can be destroyed from the mind and heart out, then see Cady try to kill them all. And I think that's what would have made the film better, as you have something that is a more perfect representation of Love that is being killed, rather than something that is already broken and where hate is already present. The family situation is already injured, Love in this case isn't so strong. So when you see Scorsee's Cady come to crush it, well I personally didn't feel for the family unit so much. Couldn't give a shit a great deal. Instead we have Cady's monster to grab our attention, come to the great Robert De Niro psycho show, HE'S the main attraction, the main event you all came for. - NO! No he's not. He's a support character, a 'tool', a device in which to further the plot in making the real story - about the perfect happy family being killed - work.

So would this have been a better way to tell the story? Would Spielberg have made this part of the movie work better? As what makes a scary thriller movie work is not just the villain, but the victim too.

Anyway, I've rambled on and talked way too much shit already. I gotta get ready for work on Gulliver's Travels. Try not to Cady stalk and scare Emily Blunt too much. Wish me luck with that!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu May 07, 2009 7:20 am

I think I agree with Kirks about Scorcese only being an artsy filmmaker. There's lots of these guys who would rather make more ambitious and interesting movies and the studio pressures them into doing more commercial fare in exchange for an opportunity to do one of their riskier passion projects. And a lot of the time these guys' talent elevates more formulaic mainstream movies. But Scorcese just isn't one of those guys. I liked Color Of Money, but I think that's about as mainstream as he could get. Trying to something more formulaic like a stalker thriller was just out of his reach.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu May 07, 2009 8:33 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Again, I think Scorsese is more a film maker than a movie maker, if you get that drift, do I ave to explain that to you guys here? Trying to make a popular thrill ride piece of entertainment, I dunno if the guy 'gets it' and how to do this. I hate to bang on about him, but Spielberg was once considering making this film I think. One wonders with his instinct for creating a dream family situation and his touch for things 'dark' how the film under his hand would be? One thing I do reckon, is that it would succeed more in making you fear for the family and that would create more edge of seat panic for you, seeing the family being broken up and hunted to death, showing you also how Cady can not only destroy them physically, but that even a tight, solid happy loving family can have it's armour broken and that manipulation can penetrate into it and then have the family tearing themselves apart and falling out of love with each other. That is more disturbing to me than a guy trying to kill them with an axe - that the Devil or someone that you hate can get into your hearts and souls, and end up making you hate or kill the very person that you originally loved. This movie always had the same themes as Othello, Iago's hate for Othello making him play the worst mind games on the guy, driving Othello to fall from grace and kill his very own wife, Desdemona. When I read that play I was disturbed as shit, for real. Felt like throwing the book down as it was GENUINE the fear. For like the first time, a piece of fiction had taught me just how any man, no matter who they were, and any MIND, can be controlled like a robot to do anything for ANYONE. It wasn't a harmless fear that you appreciate to the effect a piece of entertainment gave you, it was REAL.

I agree - Spielberg would have had a different perspective - he would centre more on teh dysfuntional family unit and place them in much more affecting jeopardy, always cranking up the tension.

Scorsese is always more fascinated with his villain and any ambiguities they may represent. Hence, his Cape Fear is as much about Cady as it is anything else - another love letter to the acting of De Niro. This in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, as their prior output can testify, but it does rob the film of any chance at the moods Kirks is describing in his post.

Put another way, when Cady is attacked in the parking lot, there's a part of you that wants him to win the fight. Scorsese will always find that more interesting, than whether the family live or die at the end of the movie.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu May 07, 2009 10:20 pm

Caught STAR TREK GENERATIONS on HBO and in anticipation of this new nerd picture STAR TREK that's coming out I decided I'd stick around and watch the whole thing, which I hadn't done in years.

It feels like a T.V. movie a lot of the time. I think the story should've been something more like the old crew and the new crew having to work together, due to some fucking time/space shit or whatever they're always having trouble with in these movies. Instead of just using Kirk as a plot device or some shit. Malcolm McDowell is good as the baddie, but he doesn't do much and since Kirk has no real stake in this shit or any history with this fuck it's not really all that interesting. Also, Picard's crew is pretty fucking useless I realize. You got this Worf fuck, the bearded guy, the doctor lady, the Reading Rainbow guy, the robot, the feelings chick and none of them do a goddamn thing. But there's some nice stuff in there about time and how we're all getting old and eventually we'll all be dead. So I guess this was just the movie to watch after BENJAMIN BUTTON which is the first movie to make me cry since TERMINATOR 2. Anyway, I must have been feeling vulnerable after the BUTTON experience, because I found myself getting a little emotional about Picard's personal crap about his burnt-to-death nephew and his little Nexus Christmas fantasy and how he could've had a wonderful life like the Jimmy Stewart, but he pissed it all away to hang out with a bunch of weirdos in sailor costumes.

Don't worry, though. He's aging normally like the rest of us and doesn't die as a baby with dementia.
caruso_stalker217

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat May 09, 2009 10:50 am

Uhm...yeah...this morning I watched the life action movie of Ben 10 and I did it for two reasons:

1.) I had seriously NOTHING else to do
2.) Lee Majors played the Grandpa and later also Aloma Wright (Laverne from 'Scrubs') and Robert Picardo showed up in it too.

Well, what can I say? You know that I love cartoons, but I have huge problems with Ben 10. I really like the plot of it (Kid can transform for 10 minutes into one of 10 different aliens which different superpowers), but I could never stand a whole episode. Mostly because that Ben kid is an annoying brat and it's drawn in this horrible wannabe-anime style. (At least they don't turn into chibis every 5 seconds, like they did in shows like Teen Titans) I always had the theory that Ben 10 is much easier to stand if they would have used a different visual style (The opening credits of the show feature some very beautyful drawings that look much better than the real show) and I was right: I was seriously able to watch the whole Live Action version of Ben 10.
Does that mean that the movie is good? Hell no! It's seriously average TV stuff for kids, that absolutely makes no sense and isn't even unintentional funny! They used rayguns that looked like plastic toys! The editing was choppy! The villains could have been right out of Power Rangers! At least the CGI creatures looked pretty good. Not photorealistic, but good animated and less cartoony than in your usual TV production for kids. (Except that furry beast. That looked worse than the animals in Jumanji!)
What really made me laugh was that they found an actor for Ben with the same Anime eye shape as in the series! But he was a bad actor. Same with every other kid in that movie. Lee Majors was okay, but he looked bored. Only the scenes with Robert Picardo made me smile, but hey, it's Robert Picardo!
So yeah, it was a waste of time and now that I write this review, I got seriously no idea why I even watched it in the first place. But seriously, did anybody expect something else?
P.S. The movie was directed by Alex Winter a.k.a. the part of Bill & Ted that wasn't in The Matrix.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Bloo on Sat May 09, 2009 9:32 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Uhm...yeah...this morning I watched the life action movie of Ben 10 and I did it for two reasons:

1.) I had seriously NOTHING else to do
2.) Lee Majors played the Grandpa and later also Aloma Wright (Laverne from 'Scrubs') and Robert Picardo showed up in it too.

Well, what can I say? You know that I love cartoons, but I have huge problems with Ben 10. I really like the plot of it (Kid can transform for 10 minutes into one of 10 different aliens which different superpowers), but I could never stand a whole episode. Mostly because that Ben kid is an annoying brat and it's drawn in this horrible wannabe-anime style. (At least they don't turn into chibis every 5 seconds, like they did in shows like Teen Titans) I always had the theory that Ben 10 is much easier to stand if they would have used a different visual style (The opening credits of the show feature some very beautyful drawings that look much better than the real show) and I was right: I was seriously able to watch the whole Live Action version of Ben 10.
Does that mean that the movie is good? Hell no! It's seriously average TV stuff for kids, that absolutely makes no sense and isn't even unintentional funny! They used rayguns that looked like plastic toys! The editing was choppy! The villains could have been right out of Power Rangers! At least the CGI creatures looked pretty good. Not photorealistic, but good animated and less cartoony than in your usual TV production for kids. (Except that furry beast. That looked worse than the animals in Jumanji!)
What really made me laugh was that they found an actor for Ben with the same Anime eye shape as in the series! But he was a bad actor. Same with every other kid in that movie. Lee Majors was okay, but he looked bored. Only the scenes with Robert Picardo made me smile, but hey, it's Robert Picardo!
So yeah, it was a waste of time and now that I write this review, I got seriously no idea why I even watched it in the first place. But seriously, did anybody expect something else?
P.S. The movie was directed by Alex Winter a.k.a. the part of Bill & Ted that wasn't in The Matrix.

I've seen that too and that pretty much sums it up right there

I have enjoyed the Ben 10 cartoon Sequel ALIEN FORCE a little bit more then the original Ben 10 series, he's less annoying, more leaderish, an overall threat and plotline
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun May 10, 2009 4:42 am

Bloo wrote:I have enjoyed the Ben 10 cartoon Sequel ALIEN FORCE a little bit more then the original Ben 10 series, he's less annoying, more leaderish, an overall threat and plotline

Yeah, I heard that too, and I wanted to give it a try, but it isn't out in Germany yet

Anyway, I tried to watch The Spiderwick Chronicles last night, but after the first 36 minutes I had to turn the DVD off, because I was horrified by the scene where one of the twins was sitting in a cage and looks at something, that might have been his missing cat, roasting on an open fire. I was able to watch it a few more minutes till we find out that the cat is still alive, but I just couldn't get the image of the burned cat out of my head, even if it wasn't a cat in reality. I try to watch the rest today. Except for the stuff with the cat, it looked pretty good.
EDIT I just watched the rest of it. It's a damn good movie and I love how it plays less like a fairy tale, but more like a horror movie for kids. It's just strange that (at least in Germany) there was a discussion if the Harry Potter movies are suitable for kids, part 2 was only released cut over here the last three movies recieved uncut a "not under 12" rating, but nobody cared for the violence and scare factor in Spiderwick AND it even got uncut a "not under 6" rating. Come on, Spiderwick is much harder and scarier than Potter! I would even go so far and say that the only difference between this and Gremlins is that no humans get killed!
Anyway, the only thing I have to critisize about the movie itself, is the typical 'disfunctional family' setting, with one kid being a problem child, the other one a shy smart ass, the third one the bitchy older sister (at least she wasn't captain of the cheerleaders) and the single mother always yelling and crying, although she loves her kids. Mark Waters did a great job, but he always seemed to be one of the more talented Teenie/RomCom directors. And after Spiderwick I would even offer him the director's chair for a R-Rated horror movie. He knows how to build up atmosphere and suspense and seem to have an eye for splatter. (I haven't read the books that the movie based on, but something tells me that the reason tomato sauce or whatever it was killed the creatures, was just an excuse to squirt lots of red liquid during fight scenes, without making the MPAA angry.)
Yes, I recommend the movie. Parents should maybe watch the movie without their kids first and definitely don't let them watch it alone if they are younger, but it was a refreshing take on the current kids-discover-magic formula.

After this, I caught Cobra on TV. I'm not an expert in Sly Stallone's filmography, but damn, this must be one of the three worst movies of his career! Sly plays the most stereotypical loose cannon cop who plays by his own rules I've ever seen! The movie came out in 1985 and I can't imagine that even back then anybody could take it seriously. The problem is that the movie doesn't seem to be aware of its ridiculousness, like the far superior 'Commando' was. And seriously, the whole movie feels like a made-for-TV movie, only with violence that would've never passed TV censors back then. The way it was shot and written - all 80's TV quality. Maybe the worst scene was a videoclip-ish montage, where Sly and his partner are looking for the killer, intercut with silly robots (which turns out to be the stage for Brigitte Nielsen's modeling job) and other senseless stuff. Like a 1 second clip of a masked killer with a knife, sneaking at the camera. There are only two good things I can say about this movie: The dialogue between Sly and his always candy eating partner was very entertaining and the western-like showdown, where the killer-gang takes over a small town, was a pretty exciting idea.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby SilentBobX on Sun May 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Band of Brothers on dvd. Got it a little while ago while it was on sale, and loving it. Yes I'm a cheap bastard.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon May 11, 2009 6:29 am

I had a slight case of insomnia last night and caught around 1 a.m. Around The World In 80 Days (The Jackie Chan Version).
Now, this movie has the reputation of a huge trainwreck, but I wouldn't go that far, although It IS without a doubt a soulless movie. Director Frank Coraci (Waterboy) was obviously just a gun for hire and you feel it throughout the whole movie. There is no excitement or sense of wonder anywhere to be found. However, I gotta admit that the bright colour palette, that is used in the movie, is just wonderful and makes it at least look like something special and Jackie Chan's fights are as entertaining as always. And if you start watching a movie at monday 1 a.m. and watch it till the end, without even trying to go to bed again. they must have done something right. Even if I definitely can't tell you what it was.
Steve Coogan did a good job as the lead and plays Fogg as a kinda naive, but very likable young man. Jackie Chan plays Jackie Chan and Cecile DeFrance was sexy, but unfortunately very annoying. (Not her fault. Her character was written like that.) I always enjoy seeing Ewen Bremner (Trainspotting's Spud) on screen, but here he had nothing else to do than scream and fall on his face.
To sum it up, this version of 80 Days wasn't the unbearable stinker you might expect, but if you just skip it and watch the David Niven version again instead, you won't regret it.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon May 11, 2009 7:42 am

I watched the first Fast & Furious movie with my sister and her husband. I have contemplated this series in great depth over the years and am always happy to revisit its glorious beginning. It's one of those really watchable movies.

We also watched Death Race, which is a fine motion picture and one I like more each time I see it. One of Statham's best so far and definately the best film P.M.S. Anderson has made.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby thefraze on Mon May 11, 2009 1:48 pm

Mississippi Burning

Sanjuro

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

X-Men: The Animated Series (Volumes 1 and 2)
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Bloo on Tue May 12, 2009 1:10 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:I had a slight case of insomnia last night and caught around 1 a.m. Around The World In 80 Days (The Jackie Chan Version).
Now, this movie has the reputation of a huge trainwreck, but I wouldn't go that far, although It IS without a doubt a soulless movie. Director Frank Coraci (Waterboy) was obviously just a gun for hire and you feel it throughout the whole movie. There is no excitement or sense of wonder anywhere to be found. However, I gotta admit that the bright colour palette, that is used in the movie, is just wonderful and makes it at least look like something special and Jackie Chan's fights are as entertaining as always. And if you start watching a movie at monday 1 a.m. and watch it till the end, without even trying to go to bed again. they must have done something right. Even if I definitely can't tell you what it was.
Steve Coogan did a good job as the lead and plays Fogg as a kinda naive, but very likable young man. Jackie Chan plays Jackie Chan and Cecile DeFrance was sexy, but unfortunately very annoying. (Not her fault. Her character was written like that.) I always enjoy seeing Ewen Bremner (Trainspotting's Spud) on screen, but here he had nothing else to do than scream and fall on his face.
To sum it up, this version of 80 Days wasn't the unbearable stinker you might expect, but if you just skip it and watch the David Niven version again instead, you won't regret it.

hell Pierce Brosnon's TV miniseries version with...Eric Idle(?) is better then the Disney/Waldan version
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 12, 2009 1:00 pm

I've just born witness to The Devil's Tomb.

Sounded quite interesting at the time. Cuba Gooding Junior leads a team of Mercs down and old Iraqi supposed WMD storage base to rescue a Doctor. There they find a priest muttering in latin. Written on the wall is, 'welcome to hell'. Of course, he doesn't get the hint and decides to take the team down 1000 metres in the lift shaft to find more dead people with vacant eyes and catwalling on about hell and god. Again we get warnings about hallucinations which go unheeded and the team get picked off one by one.

Yada yada cheap scares etc.. Turns out, *fanfare* it's the tomb of the devil.

I would like to say it's good. I said, 'I would like to say', but I can't. The acting is terrible, with dialogue worse than hell. For a low budget horror, it's not too bad even though the sets look like they've come out of a sitcom. It's like Event Horizon, except worse - if that's possible. The special effects though aren't too bad if you like your brains and blood to look like porridge in red dye.

It was enjoyable though, certainly passed time but that's about it. Any other god/devil conflict was done better in 'The prophecy'.

5/10
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed May 13, 2009 7:36 am

After watching THE WRESTLER, I commented on it at length saying that a lot of the stuff in that movie was so crazy that it just had to be true because nobody would believe it if it wasn't. Travis suggested that I check out this documentary called BEYOND THE MAT that looks at wrestmania as a business and at the personal lives of the wrestlers so that I could see just how crazy this world is. It is crazy.

I found this documentary to be very informative. I didn't know very much about wrestlemania before seeing it, but I think I recognized all the people who were well-knowns among the wrestlemania world. I already knew about these guys like Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Vince McMahon, The Rock, Mick "Mankind" Folley, and some others. They spend a lot of time with a former legend named Terry Funk, who I did not know before this movie. But I had never researched wrestlemania before, so for me most of this stuff was new. Maybe a real wrestlemania fan would find it less informative.

On the package it says "The film Vince McMahon doesn't want you to see." which I think is just a marketing ploy. Vince seems very cooperative with this film giving many interviews and allowing the cameras backstage at events and in his office etc. Lots of people talk smack about Vince throughout the movie, but one guy says that you have be very pushy and ruthless to keep all these ego-maniac wrestlers in line and I would tend to agree with him. The wrestlers are the product, but Vince has the vision. You can't let your product run your company.

And I can't really feel that bad for these guys. Sure, Vince calls the shots and takes his cut, but they also say Mankind makes six figures a year and enjoys being a celebrity idolized by children and adult children so I wouldn't say the WWF/WWE is the worst employer in the world. Plus, it seems to be more these wrestler guys who by their own free will subject themselves to brutal torture well into their 50s because they love the fame. Jake "The Snake" talks about how Vince worked him like a dog forcing him to perform almost every day of the year during his prime. I didn't know there was that much demand for wrestling entertainment, and I also wasn't sure what to believe from "The Snake" because everybody describes him as crazy and he himself admits to being a brain-damaged crack addict, something that limits your credibility with me.

I'm not sure if THE WRESTLER is one of those movies that was commissoned after the success of this documentary like how they turned that DOGTOWN documentary about skateboarders into a real movie and I hear they're going to get actors to do a studio-made version of that CLOVERFIELD documentary movie. But a lot of the same stuff is covered in both films. Especially the stuff about the very low levels of this sport where former legends and aspiring wrestlers beat each other in barns for audiences of less than 200 people and frequently don't even get payed.

This documentary is pretty short and very interesting and moves along well. I would recommend it to anybody who likes documentaries. And there's one part where they're interviewing one aspiring wrestler guy and he says that he thinks he should take his career to Japan where there is more sport and less entertainment to the wrestlemania spectacle. The filmmakers don't follow up on this angle and I actually think a second documentary could be made about the Japanese wrestlemania scene. I'd watch it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray