What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Betamax and beyond

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat May 23, 2009 12:13 pm

I am a Terminator 2 man all the way.

I guess my experience was that I saw T2 as a standalone movie. I was like 10 when T2 first came out and had missed the first one and just saw T2. I wanted to rent the first one but my video store didn't have one. Then a Blockbuster openned up close enough to my house about 5 years later and they had T1 and I finally saw it, but I had been watching T2 all those years just as its own movie, not as a sequel, and so it will always kinda be that way for me.

T2 is probably my favorite action movie. I also think it's Cameron's most daring film. He manages to pull a Romero and really naturally bring together a totally mismatched group of heroes. You've got superbuff mental-patient Sarah, confused teenager John, giant Austrian robot, and black Bill Gates all coming together and none of it feels forced.

I also don't thin Cameron has made any more haunting images than the dream sequence of Sarah's flesh getting blasted off her bones by nuclear holocaust as she watches a playground of children.

Everything in this movie is just so fucking perfect.

As for T3, I saw it once, had a good enough time, I would watch it again, but I wouldn't expend any effort to do so. I expect T4 to be mildly better but still not a great movie. I know McG can film things in a clear and coherent way and everybody says the action in T4 is top notch, so that's all I expect. I just don't see any sequel ever topping T2 for depth and character arcs.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat May 23, 2009 12:28 pm

T3 is atrocious. The scene where John Connor turns to Arnie and says, "Do you even remember me? Sarah Connor? Blowing up Cyberdyne? Hasta la vista, baby? Ring any bells? " Uh, no, John Connor. That terminator got melted at the end of the last movie, remember?

What a stupid, lazy movie.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Watching Batman Forever right now on Film4. I must say, that with all this Tim Burton superior Batman movie gibberish, Batman Forever is a much more enjoyable film than the first 2. Why do you think Film4 are putting it as the start of their Guilty Pleasure season for?

Take that, haters.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Watching the end of Pearl Harbour now. All I can say is, I am proud, very very proud - to be an American, and not half Malaysian right now.

Salutes the US Zoners. Tear drops from eye - then sucks it back up as he is so hard!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby RogueScribner on Sat May 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Watching the end of Pearl Harbour now. All I can say is, I am proud, very very proud - to be an American, and not half Malaysian right now.

Salutes the US Zoners. Tear drops from eye - then sucks it back up as he is so hard!

Michael Bay gave Kirks wood! :shock: :twisted: :lol:
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TonyWilson on Sat May 23, 2009 8:29 pm

That's ironic, kirk, cus that movie makes me proud to not be an American.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 23, 2009 8:34 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Watching the end of Pearl Harbour now. All I can say is, I am proud, very very proud - to be an American, and not half Malaysian right now.

Michael Bay gave Kirks wood! :shock: :twisted: :lol:

I am as strong as OAK - just like the US! My God you guys make horror sexy!

Now they're playing the end song over the credits. Sucks in breath hard, thrusts arm and fist outwards in punching fashion. Other hand on heart as he is moved, so so moved - at how glorious and gorgeous you Americans are, even in death! God bless you Michael Bay and the USA - may the rest of the world go straight to Hell!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TonyWilson on Sat May 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Why can't Bay end the film with the Pearl Harbour attack? Instead we have to have the Americans winning a basically insignificant victory and have the love triangle resolved with something that has barely any relevance to the general public compared to the Pearl Harbour bombings, thereby sorta negating the power of the "tragic love story against historic background" genre Pearl Harbour so desperately, cloyingly tries for.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Fried Gold on Sat May 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Saw Donnie Darko earlier, for the first time in a couple of years.

It's such a fixating, wonderful oddity, one wonders where it all went wrong with Richard Kelly.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 23, 2009 8:53 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Why can't Bay end the film with the Pearl Harbour attack? Instead we have to have the Americans winning...

That's just it though you pathetic whiny Brit. Us Americans ALWAYS win!!! That's a fact of life you guys can't understand and why Pearl Harbour is one of the more realistic war movies out there and why it did so well at the Box Office - worldwide - ESPECIALLY Japan - proof that even THEY know that America is the most awesome Cuntry in the world. So suck it up! Or join us!

TonyWilson wrote:... a basically insignificant victory and have the love triangle resolved with something that has barely any relevance to the general public compared to the Pearl Harbour bombings, thereby sorta negating the power of the "tragic love story against historic background" genre Pearl Harbour so desperately, cloyingly tries for.

That's because no matter what horror Americans go through, they will always emerge gorgeous and prove that pain and suffering IS sexy and therefore is one true guaranteed way of pulling chicks as as we all know that chicks are so intelligent to just LOVE violence!

Anyway, I've just signed up for the US Army, just like so many other Americans did after they saw Pearl Harbour. Who says that people aren't influenced by movies and don't kill Snakes after Snakes On A Plane or are afraid to go into the water after Jaws or sign up for the Air Force after Top Gunk?
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 23, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TonyWilson on Sat May 23, 2009 8:55 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Why can't Bay end the film with the Pearl Harbour attack? Instead we have to have the Americans winning...

That's just it though you pathetic whiny Brit. Us Americans ALWAYS win!!! That's a fact of life you guys can't understand and why Pearl Harbour is one of the more realistic war movies out there and why it did so well at the Box Office - worldwide - ESPECIALLY Japan - proof that even THEY know that America is the most awesome Cuntry in the world. So suck it up! Or join us!

TonyWilson wrote:... a basically insignificant victory and have the love triangle resolved with something that has barely any relevance to the general public compared to the Pearl Harbour bombings, thereby sorta negating the power of the "tragic love story against historic background" genre Pearl Harbour so desperately, cloyingly tries for.

That's because no matter what horror Americans go through, they will always emerge gorgeous and prove that pain and suffering is sexy and therefore is one true guaranteed way of pulling chicks as as we all know that chicks are so intelligent to just LOVE violence!

Anyway, I've just signed up for the Army, just like so many other Americans did after they saw Pearl Harbour. Who says that people aren't influenced by movies and don't kill Snakes after Snakes On A Plane or are afraid to g into the water after Jews or sign up for the Air Force after Top Gunk?

Seig Heil!
TonyWilson

Postby Fried Gold on Sat May 23, 2009 8:56 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote: Us Americans

Pearl Harbour

How very un-American of you.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat May 23, 2009 8:58 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Saw Donnie Darko earlier, for the first time in a couple of years.

It's such a fixating, wonderful oddity, one wonders where it all went wrong with Richard Kelly.

Sad to say I think it's probably a fluke caused by music rights and studio edits.
TonyWilson

Postby DennisMM on Sun May 24, 2009 7:46 pm

I just recorded Cutter's Way (real title: Cutter and Bone) (1981) off Comcast On-Demand. Unfortunately, it's fullscreen; I swear most of Comcast's older films are pan and scan. It's as if they bought up the rights from TBS or something.

Cutter and Bone stars two great American actors, Jeff Bridges and John Heard. Whatever happened to John Heard's career in significant movies? And why wasn't Bridges ever the highest paid actor in the world? Second, the female lead is Lisa Eichorn, another very talented but overlooked performer who today is forgotten by most. She gives a heart-wrenching delivery of a seemingly very simple line: "The Richard Bone fan club is now complete." The characters are lovable and sometimes-not-so-lovable losers. The plot is classic '70s and early '80s drama of the Taxi Driver sort, following people as they cross out of their levels of social comfort into newer, confusing levels. At its most obvious a murder mystery, it's also an indictment of the power of the rich to avoid responsibility for their actions and it explores how the Vietnam War destroyed soldiers and their families. They changed the novel's ending to make it more satisfying for the viewer, but it's still a strong finish. And, yes, the critics are correct - the film meanders. It's more about the characters than about the plot. So?

One of my favorite Bridges performances, and there are a lot of them. Maybe just behind Fearless, which should have won the Oscar. Heard is at his best. Eichorn was never less than excellent. Ivan Passer's direction is moody and honest. The cinematography is a bit dark but very nice. The Jack Nitzsche score is great. Check it out if you can find it.

8/10
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon May 25, 2009 7:15 am

I continued my anime marathon by renting another high profile fan favorite that I had seen once before, like ten years ago:

THE GHOST IN SHELL

I have to say, this one felt a little unfinished to me. The end felt more like the halfway mark. I liked everything that was there, it's just that it was in proportion to a longer movie / bigger story. The pacing just set you up for some three hour mofo and then cuts and runs after less than an hour and a half.

I loved the direction, all the long shots of this scummy city and the hero and thinking deeply. And the action scenes were really well paced. I thought the voice actress doing the English voice for the hero was pretty weak. I'm not sure if it was on purpose to show she was a replicant or not, but I kinda doubt it, I think the actress just read her lines in a monotone because she didn't care.

So overall, it's an okay movie. Not one I really love. I liked everything that was there, especially all the stuff about machines trying to become fully human and humans become mostly machine (twisted and evil). The plot just seemed half resolved.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Tue May 26, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby judderman on Mon May 25, 2009 10:52 am

Haven't seen GITS yet, but I hear it's basically William Gibson meets Akira, which sounds kinda fun, even though I'm already pretty familiar with both. There's a Ghost In The Shell 2, which might be the climax you were looking for.

Just watched the special edition of Angel Heart, my favourite horror movie ever. Boy was I disappointed. If ever there was a movie which absolutely required a detailed, point by point commentary, it was this one. I wanted to know how many clues I'd missed, about the split-second shots of people being murdered, about the strange chronology of the piece. Instead, Alan Parker spent most of the commentary watching his own movie in silence, which was something of an insult.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby travis-dane on Mon May 25, 2009 1:55 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I continued my anime marathon by renting another high profile fan favorite that I had seen once before, like ten years ago:

THE GHOST IN SHELL

I have to say, this one felt a little unfinished to me. The end felt more like the halfway mark. I liked everything that was there, it's just that it was in proportion to a longer movie / bigger story. The pacing just set you up for some three hour mofo and then cuts and runs after less than an hour and a half.

I loved the direction, all the long shots of this scummy city and the hero city and thinking deeply. And the action scenes were really well paced. I thought the voice actress doing the English voice for the hero was pretty weak. I'm not sure if it was on purpose to show she was a replicant or not, but I kinda doubt it, I think the actress just read her lines in a monotone because she didn't care.

So overall, it's an okay movie. Not one I really love. I liked everything that was there, especially all the stuff about machines trying to become fully human and humans become mostly machine (twisted and evil). The plot just seemed half resolved.

You have to watch GITS 2: Innocence. They pumped out a amazing sequel and the visuals will blow you away Spandau. A must see.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Seppuku on Mon May 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Like with virtually every anime that was also made into a series, I say go with the series. Especially if you get the feeling the original wasn't fleshed out enough. There were two seasons and pretty much every episode stands alone by itself (hence the title Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex), so it's pretty easy to jump into.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon May 25, 2009 2:51 pm

Okay, maybe I'll eventually try out the series.

My video store doesn't have the sequel to the movie, but maybe somewhere else in town does.

The first film had some great stuff, and it actually probably would work better as a series since it's mostly a procedural with a lot of subtext, like Twin Peaks meets Blade Runner or something.

Thanks guys
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Raziel on Mon May 25, 2009 4:45 pm

Finished watching my Marx Bros box sets recently...most recent watching: Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, The Devil's Backbone, Appleseed (2004), Some Kind Of Monster and I'm a Cyborg, But That's Okay.
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 26, 2009 5:38 am

Finally got around to watching THE IRON GIANT. Yet another movie that left me thinking "Why the hell didn't I see this sooner?" Truly fucking excellent.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Tue May 26, 2009 5:47 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Finally got around to watching THE IRON GIANT. Yet another movie that left me thinking "Why the hell didn't I see this sooner?" Truly fucking excellent.

yes it is, a movie I wouldn't have seen if it hadn't been for AICN back in the late 90's early 00's
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Al Shut on Tue May 26, 2009 6:11 am

Seppuku wrote:Like with virtually every anime that was also made into a series, I say go with the series. Especially if you get the feeling the original wasn't fleshed out enough. There were two seasons and pretty much every episode stands alone by itself (hence the title Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex), so it's pretty easy to jump into.

Don't you mean each season stands alone? I seem to remember the individual episodes beeing pretty connected , involving one big investgation7incident.

And shirley, the go with the series rule doesn't apply to Streetfighter. Or X for that matter (not that the movie was better, just too different)
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue May 26, 2009 1:11 pm

I was in the mood for some Predator 2 and I didn't regret it.
Sure, it has some flaws,(they focus way too much on the silly voodoo gang and apart from one big shootout in the beginning, the "futursitic" LA [which is 12 years in the past] doesn't feel like a Warzone that would attract a Predator.) but Stephen Hopkins's tight direction, some good action pieces and a last third, that focusses almost on Glover's fight with the Predator only, make it very watchable.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby thefraze on Tue May 26, 2009 2:09 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:I was in the mood for some Predator 2 and I didn't regret it.
Sure, it has some flaws,(they focus way too much on the silly voodoo gang and apart from one big shootout in the beginning, the "futursitic" LA [which is 12 years in the past] doesn't feel like a Warzone that would attract a Predator.) but Stephen Hopkins's tight direction, some good action pieces and a last third, that focusses almost on Glover's fight with the Predator only, make it very watchable.

Predator 2 is certainly an interesting, worthy sequel to the original - it does something different while staying true the feel of the original... which is more than I can say about later sequels to Alien, Terminator, etc.
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby RogueScribner on Tue May 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Yeah, with all the recent talk of Predator and Predator 2 in the Zone recently, I rented them and watched them back to back. The sequel is a little more goofy than the first film, but they're both full of cool sequences and cinematography. The only thing I didn't really like was the end fight with Danny Glover. This fucker couldn't even take out Jet Li without Mel Gibson's help, how is he putting the hurt on a Predator? :-P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby SilentBobX on Tue May 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Star Trek: The animated series.

I'd forgotten how much I truly loved this. Was on sale and I had to get it. Yesteryear is so far my favorite.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed May 27, 2009 4:05 am

Last night I accidently stumbled across an episode of Amazing Stories on TV, which made me laugh my ass off. It was about an actor, who played a Mummy in a horror movie. During one night shoot, while being in full Make Up, unable to move or speak right, he gets the message that his wife is about to deliver her baby. So without thinking of the costume he's wearing, he jumps into the car and tries to reach the hospital. But then he becomes not just the target of a group of superstitious villagers, but also of a REAL mummy!
From the first shot of the episode I was damn sure that it was directed by Joe Dante, but it turned out that William Dear (Harry & The Hendersons) directed it. Strange, because every second of it feels as Joe Dante as possible. And like I already mentioned: I really laughed my ass off. While there are lots of jokes that are just like "Man sees mummy and screams" it has an almost sadistic joy to put the protagonist in trouble. And did I mention that Brion James played the leader of the lynch mob?
I know that Amazing Stories was very much hit or miss, but this episode was definitely a hit. :mrgreen:
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 27, 2009 10:41 am

I loved Amazing Stories when I was a kid. I wish it lasted longer.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby thefraze on Wed May 27, 2009 11:56 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:Last night I accidently stumbled across an episode of Amazing Stories on TV, which made me laugh my ass off. It was about an actor, who played a Mummy in a horror movie. During one night shoot, while being in full Make Up, unable to move or speak right, he gets the message that his wife is about to deliver her baby. So without thinking of the costume he's wearing, he jumps into the car and tries to reach the hospital. But then he becomes not just the target of a group of superstitious villagers, but also of a REAL mummy!
From the first shot of the episode I was damn sure that it was directed by Joe Dante, but it turned out that William Dear (Grande Rojo & The Hendersons) directed it. Strange, because every second of it feels as Joe Dante as possible. And like I already mentioned: I really laughed my ass off. While there are lots of jokes that are just like "Man sees mummy and screams" it has an almost sadistic joy to put the protagonist in trouble. And did I mention that Brion James played the leader of the lynch mob?
I know that Amazing Stories was very much hit or miss, but this episode was definitely a hit. :mrgreen:

That was a great episode! I'd love to get those on DVD
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu May 28, 2009 6:11 am

Before I went to bed last night, I was in the mood to watch Galaxy Quest again, but I couldn't find the DVD, so I watched The Fifth Element, which I not just haven't seen for years, but also only on VHS. So now watching a three times remastered DVD on a 32" LCD TV, was a great visual experience.
The movie was good too, but it really made me think. It's pretty much the Transformers of the 90s! Think about it: You got an uneven script that doesn't make any sense and is full of plotholes and sometimes way too silly jokes (Brion James in the fridge), but also an interesting cast with a range from award winning character actors to TV and B-movie stars, lots of (even today) impressive visuals and some great actionscenes, but nothing else. And for any reason it works. (Yes, I'm one of the people who were able to enjoy Transformers!) The only differences are that Bruce is more chasimatic than Shia will ever be (I guess. Who knows how much Shia will learn till 2035 or so?) and there was no weekly Fifth Element toy commercial in the 80's, that is romantized by millions of nerds.
Anyway, I think that this movie is a pretty enjoyable ride, if you are willing to get yourself into it (like Transformers). Even today it's advertised as serious SciFi epic, but is in fact a colourful action comedy (like Transformers). Its biggest flaw (despite from its sometimes way too childish humor) is that it drags a lot in some part. Maybe most notable in the end, after the big opera shootout. The finale is pretty lame and even unintentional funny, when the dieing Leelo all of a sudden decides to look up "war" on the computer and then decides to not save the universe, until Bruce shows her what love is. (Hm. Has there ever been a porn remake of this movie?) And I can't get my head around the fact that during the whole movie people look at Milla Jovovich, who has a body like a 15 year old boy and a face like a hobgoblin, and go nuts about her, thinking that "she's perfect"! I mean, it was established that she has perfect genes or something like that, but it's impossible to find that out, just by looking at her!
I know that Ruby Rhod was the most hated SciFi character until Jar Jar showed up, but I gotta admit that Chris Tucker has never been better! Maybe it was because his on screen persona with the high pitched over the top speech pattern fits so perfectly into the hyperactive world of this movie, but from the second he appeared on screen, he made me laugh. It's the way he moves, the way he delivers his speeches for the radio show and even the timing of his screams during the shootout. If Luc Besson ever makes the promised sequel, I hope Ruby will at least have a cameo.
I don't know, I think this must be the weirdest mainstream SciFi blockbuster ever, but most of the time it's very enjoyable.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TonyWilson on Thu May 28, 2009 6:31 am

Ah but Fifth Element has a weird and fun, French vibe to it, there's nothing weird about Transformer's - it's incredibly pedestrian in fact.
TonyWilson

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu May 28, 2009 7:02 am

Depends on how weird Robots from outer space, that turn into cars and planes, are for you. But yes, 5th Element has the "weird future" bonus.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TonyWilson on Thu May 28, 2009 7:09 am

That's sorts what I meant, yes the idea of TF is weird but it's a bland film, FE is anything but bland.
TonyWilson

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu May 28, 2009 7:36 am

I find the Fifth Element frustrating because it gets gradually worse and ends on its worst note. The first third is perfect, the middle portion is really good, but then the last third is pretty bad for me.

I actually thought Chris Tucker was a really good comic relief character and the difference between he and Jar Jar is that the characters in The 5th Element all treated Ruby Rhod like he was annoying. But I also think that character should've got left on the cruise ship. It was a mistake bringing him along for the climax.

And yes, the humour is very French and cartoonish. Lotsa hamming and mugging.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Raziel on Sat May 30, 2009 5:35 am

Some Freddy films again at a mate's - Dream Warriors (good), Freddy's Dead (crap), New Nightmare (good). Watched Starship Troopers on TV last night. Great fun.
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat May 30, 2009 8:08 am

Jerry Zucker's final stroke of genius Rat Race was on TV last night and I still wonder why this movie has such a bad reputation. I can only imagine that many people saw the opening credits with the annoying song, then the first gag where someone wants to check out of his hotel but gets charged for watching porn that he didn't watch, then the second joke where where someone else apologieses to a woman who looks like man for calling her "Miss" and then they turned the movie off. Too bad, because from then on it's hilarious IMO! It may not be an all-time classic like Ghostbusters or Galaxy Quest, but stuff like the Barbie Museum, Kathy Bates as squirrel lady, the bus full of Lucys or the scene where the two brothers try to get out of of their car to escape from a monster truck, cracks me up every time.
And for the first time I didn't even mind the ending! The "feed the world" stuff always bothered me, but yesterday was for any reason the first time that I got the joke! Yes, I think it's a good ending. Despite the guest appereance of Smash Mouth, who of course can't come up with any better song then "Allstar". Why does it always have to be this song? Do filmmakers think, that just because nobody saw Mystery Men when it came out, they can use it in a million other movies? :roll:
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Al Shut on Sat May 30, 2009 8:39 am

The Barbie museum is a classic
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun May 31, 2009 7:58 am

I finally found the DVD of Galaxy Quest a.k.a. the funniest movie since Ghostbusters and maybe one of my Top 5 all time favourites ever!

There is so much to love about this movie! The humor, the adventure, the characters, the dialogue and pretty much every second where Sam Rockwell is on screen. (I always piss myself from laughing during this short, random moment where he seem to choke on a noodle.) Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman prove that "serious" actors are the best comedians (When Weaver freaks out when she faces "the chompers" is another moment for me to piss myself. Yes, I learned over the years not too drink too much before watching this movie.). Tim Allen gives the performance of his life! Sarris, the villain, is for a PG Comedy a suprisingly scary and evil motherfucker and that the movie is still a lot of fun after we witness him torturing Mathazar, is one of the million evidences for the greatness of the script.
Y'know, I'm maybe the only person in the world who doesn't give a fuck for the legendary "dark version" of the movie, that it originally was before Dreamworks removed most of the violence, every drug reference and a few F-Bombs, to make it PG and a competition for Stuart Little. It's perfect like it is and I think changing anything about it could ruin it. I don't want an Adult Swim version of a perfect movie!

There are not many movies in the world who get 10 points out of 10 from me, but this is one of them!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Peven on Sun May 31, 2009 9:45 am

wow, i like Galaxy Quest but 10 out of 10? you are a true fan, lol.

anyway, "Kung Fu Panda" has been making the rounds on HBO this month and i have caught it about 3 times so far, and i like it more now than i did when i first saw it. looks great on HD, too. i really think it is underappreciated, actually. i think it is good enough to be among the Pixar stable, even if not among the best. give it to Stanton, let him tweak it a little here and there, and you would have a great movie

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby papalazeru on Sun May 31, 2009 11:46 am

Jsut watching Daryl on TV.

So much better than Speilbergs Awful Invention.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby magicmonkey on Sun May 31, 2009 12:45 pm

Peven wrote:anyway, "Kung Fu Panda" has been making the rounds on HBO this month and i have caught it about 3 times so far, and i like it more now than i did when i first saw it. looks great on HD, too. i really think it is underappreciated, actually. i think it is good enough to be among the Pixar stable, even if not among the best. give it to Stanton, let him tweak it a little here and there, and you would have a great movie

Yeah, I love it. That opening in 2D as a dream turning into the 3D world is great and communicates its meaning so well. I like Dreamworks animations for their lack of overly designed elements (unlike Pixar), they retain something raw, a more organic, visually chaotic, anarchism although albeit only slight...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby thefraze on Sun May 31, 2009 12:59 pm

Just watched Akira Kurosawa's 1985 epic, "Ran."

Great, great film but I think I'm getting a little burned out - I watched that and "Kagemusha" back to back practically, that's a lot of epic period piece action at once.
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby thefraze on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:48 pm

American HIstory X.

Forgot how amazing this movie is - my girlfriend had never seen it so I decided to dust it off last night. Ed Norton is brilliant.
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:33 pm

I did a chicks-in-sports double bill last night. Up first we had:

PERSONAL BEST

This is a movie about track and field lesbians and the changing dynamic of their relationship as they date while training together and also being each other's competition. The film is written and directed by Robert Towne, in his directorial debu. It contains Towne's usual amount of racial slurs. If he co-wrote a movie with Paul Schaeder that would be the most hateful thing ever. But surprisingly, there is little homophobia in this film.

I found the writing and acting really natural, maybe too natural because in some parts it got boring. Mariel Hemmingway did a really good job of actually playing that age. For the most part in movies young people are depicted like how Scarlet Johannson usually plays them as old souls. The reason for this being that young people are pretty fucking annoying. But Hemmingway communicates that naive ambivilance perfectly.

They do a good job at taking the relationship naturally through its course and the movie has a good idea of it's characters and which one is a dyke-4-life and which one is just going through a curious phase. Like I said, it's very natural and not very movie-ish which makes it underwhelming in some parts. A way they could've shaken it up a bit was to cast an actor with more presence as the coach. Scott Glen is just kinda wooden like he always is.

As for movies about athletes dating athletes, I'd say GIRLFIGHT was better. But PERSONAL BEST did a really good job with how these girls cared for each other but were still each other's competition and had some interesting scenes where it wasn't clear whether one was sabotaging the other subconsciously or not. This is the only movie I've seen about homosexuals in sports, so I'd say it's the best of its kind so far.

Up next was:

KANSAS CITY BOMBER

I liked this film a lot. It reminded me a lot of THE WRESTLER which I recently saw in how it delt with people trapped in something between sport and theatre that never really gets respected as either. This film also has a strong redneck vibe and deals with being addicted to being a big fish, even if it is in an incredibly small dirty pond.

It stars Raquel Welch as a rollerderby girl and her struggles with performing in a sport rigged for spectacle that exploits its players. There's also a fair amount of personal drama involving the children she abandoned to persue this lifestyle. Welch is really good in the role.

The movie walks a fine line. It almost turns into one of those Slap Shot style sports comedies about a bunch of rag tags bussing around and getting into shenanigans, but it pulls back and keeps it just serious enough. There's plenty of times I laughed at the absurdity of the events and the players, but I also cared about them and there were some really dark scenes in this film too.

So overall a pretty good movie.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Raziel on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:05 pm

Rashomon - very impressed.
Tekkonkinkreet -pretty stunning.
Eden Lake - disurbing and effective.
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:40 pm

I keep it short:

Yesterday Transporter 3, which is even worse than part 1. I hated the fucking shaky cam fights, I hated the annoying chick, I hated the even by action film standards senseless script and I hated that Robert Knepper was pretty much wasted.

Today Ong-Bak 2, which was even worse than Transporter 3. An emberassing script without any hint of dramaturgy, surprisingly unimpressive fight scenes (They were not bad, just nothing special) and when it finally gets interesting, the movie just ends. I heard Jaa had some nervous breakdowns. I guess the ending means, that the movie has never been finished and they just released whateber they had. (Kinda like 'A Sound Of Thunder' a few years ago.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:34 am

So I take it you liked Transporter 2, or have you continued to watch films in a series you dislike hoping that they will eventually change? I dated a woman for seven years hoping she'd change or that I could change her. Let me give you some free advice, just walk away while you're still young.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:43 am

Haven't seen TRANSPORTER 3 yet, but I'm one of those dudes who likes the first movie and doesn't care much for the second.

Anyway, I already posted this in the OLEG thread but since I've just been watching this shit or whatever I guess I could post it here too for no goddamn reason or what the fuck:

Just watched THE MATRIX RELOADED. This might sum up my thoughts: "Who's this annoying kid obsessed with Neo? I don't care. What's with the moronic giant robots? I don't care. What's with the crap with this Link dude and his hot wife? I don't care. Hey, people were right. This rave scene is pretty fucking stupid. Why does Zion look like a leftover STAR TREK set? So what's the deal with Morpheus and Mrs. Will Smith and that other dude? Oh right, I don't care. Man, this Link guy is fucking irritating. Sure is a lotta jumping in this thing. Why does Neo keep turning into Stretch Armstrong? When do I start giving a shit? Hey, the Merovingian dude is just as funny as I remember. I want to fuck Monica Bellucci. Goddamn you, Vincent Cassel, for getting to fuck Monica Bellucci. This Merovingian part of the movie is pretty good. Like that scene with the 'orgasm cake' or whatever Spandau called it. Action scenes are getting a little interesting. More jumping? I don't care."

I MEAN JESUS FUCKING CHRIST COULD WE PUT SOME GODDAMN LIFE INTO THESE PUNCHING SCENES!? THIS IS WHAT I HATE ABOUT THESE MATRIX PICTURES THERE'S LIKE NO FUCKING WEIGHT BEHIND THESE PUNCHES IT'S LIKE A BUNCH OF INTRICATELY-CHOREOGRAPHED DANCING WITH PEOPLE BARELY MAKING CONTACT WITH THEIR FISTS AND 'SWOOSH-SWOOSH-FWWWWWP!' I MEAN THEY MUST'VE REHEARSED THE SHIT OUT OF THIS AND THAT'S WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE A BUNCH OF FUCKING ASSHOLES IN FUCKING LEATHER GOING THROUGH THE FUCKING MOTIONS LET ME FEEEEEELLLLL THE HITS YOU GENTLEMEN!!!! (I actually typed 'gentlemen')

So, yeah, the actions scenes are a problem. I kinda just wanted them to be over because they'd get boring really fast, but the only thing to look forward to besides the boring action scenes are the boring talking scenes. I mean I cannot stress enough, I cannot begin to describe the gigantic shit that I was not even considering giving while watching these people. Characters I cared about in the first movie like Neo and Morpheus and Trinity, I didn't care one bit about them. I didn't care about Zion. Zion can fucking die for all I care. In fact, I would be pretty fucking okay with that. I encourage the destruction of Zion and the massacre of everyone in it. It's a problem for me that the Matrix feels more real than Zion, which in theory exists but in practice is obviously plastic stalagmites and shit. And everybody is really clean and wears shit from the Gap and tank tops that show off their midriffs and I thought I was watching a movie like THE SCORPION KING where it's supposed to be a long fucking time ago but everybody is wearing like these clothes that look manufactured and accentuate everybody's fake silicon tits.

Anyway, there's some stuff I like. Most of that section with the Merovingian dude like I said is pretty good. He's a funny dude and there is a pretty good fight scene with Neo in there, but then there's like the twenty fucking minutes on the freeway and Christ does that go on forever. I mean you'd think they'd have more than three fucking Agents in the Matrix. You'd think they'd have a ton of these fuckers running around and they'd take over like fifty drivers and they'd drive fifty cars into Trinity and Morpheus and just fucking smash them like spam cubes. I think that would've been pretty cool, watching these assholes try to dodge all these fucking cars and it just turns into this huge demolition derby with this gigantic fucking pile-up and maybe Morpheus and Trinity could die really horribly.

Complete fucking apathy. This is what you make me feel, THE MATRIX RELOADED.
caruso_stalker217

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:31 am

Well, let's say I had more fun with Transporter 2 than I had with the other parts and I only watched part 3 because the DVD hits the German stores today and I had to review it for a website.
And Matrix Reloaded, well not really a fan of that one either. I seriously gotta admit that I like Revloutions much more. Although if I were into fanedits, I would cut both sequels to one Ca. 140 minutes movie. There is so much unnecessary stuff in both parts, that it sometimes feels like watching a Tarantino movie. (Like every scene with the Merowinger)
My mother had a very interesting problem with the sequels. She hated that, while Morpheus was in part 1 pretty much "da man", who seem to know all the answers and was the leader that everybody looks up to, he was in the sequels just one of several captains and "that crazy guy" that nobody believed in.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray