What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Betamax and beyond

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:41 am

Excellent - that's what I like to hear.

I've enjjoyed the first 3 episodes a lot, but the show definitely needs to do something a bit more to get my full attention.

It's kinda hard to explain, maybe it's just taking me longer than expected to get into the characters. I do love Hurley though, and the way he turned down that dude's shellfish. And Dominic Monaghan's character is pretty funny too.

Has anybody asked the question of why Jack was so far away from the plane when he first woke up?
And why didn't they try to find the source of that distress signal?

Lots of unanswered questions; Can't wait for tonight's show, sounds like a big one!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:38 am

OK, I dont even care about One Hour Photo. I was just giving my opinion of the film. Some liked it, I did not. I have my reasons, others have theirs.

Lets move on.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Ah ya fingas good? cuz ya gotta have good fingas ta handle hot-dawgs....cuz I got one-a those big ones
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:39 pm

Hey Jon, don't know if you're still checking this thread anymore, but i just watched Sky Captian... last night with my little cousin.
it was utter shit, avoid it like the plague.
seriously.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:42 pm

Aww, she was not a that bad, eh? I watch it with a my 5-yr-old great-granddaughter anna she was totally inna to it, eh? It's a good Saturday matinee popcorn flick... when a they got to a the guy's lair, she was alla like peeking through a her fingers saying "I'm afraid a to look atta Totenkopf!" But a she did anyway...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:45 pm

Dino, I hate to argue with my elders, but no one over the age of 10 should enjoy Sky Captain.
not on a saturday morning, or late Sunday night, or during a full moon. NEVER!
I've seen better popcorn flicks floating in my toilet....
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby wonkabar on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:46 pm

I fell asleep. I hope the guy does a good job with John Carter
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:11 pm

I'm trying to make my way through the first season of "Entourage". I'm about four eps in, and I'm finding it only good enough to keep me from sending it back to Netflix. I'm waiting to get hooked... hasn't happened yet.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby bluebottle on Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:14 pm

I've got Day of the Dead on in the background, RIGHT now...

Bub's on the loose with a gun.

Fun.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:17 pm

So really is Alias any good? Or is it good in that B-movie way? I don't mind either but I've heard so much I don't want to go expecting the Sopranos when I should be expecting Buffy.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:27 pm

Tony, I think Alias was a great show in season one.
season two was pretty good, but started heading down the wrong path to season three, which blew fucking chunks.
I truely fear the same fate for LOST...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:15 pm

Last thing I saw on DVD was Sin City. Looks gorgeous. Looking forward to the gigundo version whenever that hits.

Before that it was the Assault On Precint 13 remake. It was enjoyable enough. Predictable in spots but entertaining. I would like to know where they think there's a wooded area in Detroit. I'm not sure there is a tree anywhere from the river to Royal Oak.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:22 pm

GANTZ!!!!!!!
i also watched a Butthole Surfers dvd last night. a bunch of live clips and pseudo interview shit from like 1985. man were they a diiferent band then....but dont forget
GANTZ!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:31 pm

I watched Teletubbies
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:54 am

TonyWilson wrote:So really is Alias any good?

The Dino, he will say that a the Alias pilot episode, she is a the BEST... PILOT... EVER.

Better than a the any other show onna the TV... ever. From a the opening scene to a the last... crackerjack alla the way.
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:47 am

FEARLESS FREAKS.

A fan/friend of the bands 10+ year doc about the Flaming Lips.

I'm an admirer of the band, not necessarily a fan, but damn was that good watchin'.

If your familiar with the band, you will recognize Coyne, but it's the story of Stephen Drozd that packs the emotional punch.

Highly recommended.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:16 am

Sealab 2021.
More silly stoner cartoon fun from the ATHF, Space Ghost, Birdman crew. I wanna work for Williams Street...don't even have to be a writer. Smoke me up and I'll be the test audience.

Bad Guy.
Kim ki Duk has issues. Serious issues. You want to see silent, obsessive, psychotic love with several scenes of just freaked out horror then check out the Isle and this one. I don't know if I like his movies, but I know I'll keep watching them.

Alias Season 1
Dino, I love you and all, but BEST. PILOT. EVER! um, no. Lord no. What the fuck are they sticking in your catheter no. Good show, it did make me want to see more than the first 6 episodes but not I FUCKING NEED TO SEE THE REST OF THIS SHOW LIKE YESTERDAY type of greatness.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:37 am

Keepcool I have Fearless Freaks on DVD too. Great doc isnt it? That part about Wayne working at Long John Silvers and almost getting killed by robbers was a surprise.

Ive been watching some music concert DVDs i just got: Devo Live 1980, The English Beat Live, The Selecter Live, Human League Live. Austin City Limites Fest 2004. Some really great performances.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:41 am

Who's on the Austin City Limits?
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:52 am

Heres the line up (on 2 DVDs): Bob Schneider, Blind Boys of Alabama, Roseanne Cash, Sloan, Broken Social Scene, Franz Ferdinand, Los Lonely Boys, Sheryl Crow, The Soundtrack of Our Lives, Josh Rouse, Old 97s, Howie Day, My Morning Jacket, The Neville Brothers, Trey Anastasio, The Pixies, Rachel Yamagata, Calexico, Shelby Lynne, Jack Johnson, Drive By Truckers, Pat Green Featuring Jack Ingram, Cake, Ben Harper.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:58 am

DAMN!

Thanks man.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:43 am

"Kontroll". You sort of have to give it up for a guy with the first name of Nimrod. For all I know it may be popular in Hungary, but your kid would be within his legal rights to stab you repeatedly if you tried to pull that shit here in the U.S. Very good "underground" film. (see it to appreciate the in-joke I just made)

"Sealab 2021". C'mon people, how many times do I have to say I don't have TV and need all the info I can get on great stoner animation shows. The level of genius/idiocy this show is remarkable.

"Layer Cake". Better on a second viewing. Just immensely watchable. Best of the bunch of the "new" British gangster films. Unless you count "Croupier", which rulez them all.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:09 am

24...good stuff.

South Park Season 6. "Bloody vaginal burps". 'Nuff said. They still got it.

Gremlins 2: The New Batch. Just as fun and demented as I rembered.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:03 am

Heat DVD dude.

Not only has it got all the brilliant extra features including the true story that inspired the film, the in depth making of, including the coffee and bank shootout showdowns, and loads of other hot stuff, but best of all was the Language selection on hte film.

The hilarity that ensued from watching Vincent Hanna shouting and taking the piss out of his informant AaaalBert but dubbed by a dodgy German, French and Swiss voiceover guy had me pissing myself laughing.

I suggest you try it.

PS. Is my avatar working for you guys? For me sometimes it's on and sometimes it's not. Let me know if it's the same for all you viewers out there.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby vicious_bastard on Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:46 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:24...good stuff.

South Park Season 6. "Bloody vaginal burps". 'Nuff said. They still got it.

Gremlins 2: The New Batch. Just as fun and demented as I rembered.

Heheh. "Civilisation. That's what we want." I have a powerful urge to watch that movie today. Doesn't the Hulkster put in an appearance at some point?

I'm watching The Wrong Trousers right now, getting in the right frame of mind to see the new one later. That penguin deserves to be included in any 'best villain' poll. One scary mofo.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:26 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I've got Day of the Dead on in the background, RIGHT now...

Bub's on the loose with a gun.

Fun.

Bub is the fucking king. he's the fuckking.

i just got Taxi Driver and Dr. Strangelove -- 2 for $22 at Borders! Noice.

Recently finally got the Millenium Edition of NOTLD with all sorts of goodness extras...

Also Oldboy for $11 from Amazon.

finally saw KUNG FU HUSSLE, which was great!

music wise, nothing new, but i've been listening to a mix of My Bloody Valentine, Need New Body (who RULE), Big Black, Glenn Branca, Dave Burrell, olde Beastie Boys, Captain Beefheart, Bowie / Eno, AKIRA soundtrack, TV on the Radio, Ennio Morricone, Sonic Youth, Public Enemy, Roots, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Liars, Steroid Maximus/Foetus, Ministry / Lard, Miles Davis, Radiohead, Velvet Underground, Ween, Tom Waits, Pansonic, Neu, Cobra Killer, Issac Hayes, and Autechre on my shuffle...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:34 pm

Brocktune wrote:GANTZ!!!!!!!
i also watched a Butthole Surfers dvd last night. a bunch of live clips and pseudo interview shit from like 1985. man were they a diiferent band then....but dont forget
GANTZ!

i fucking love the BUTTHOLE SURFERS. at least, the Olde BUTTHOLE SURFERS. they were like the greatest band in the universe. and their live shows were unfreaking believable. they were like the super fun freaked out punk rock flipside of the Grateful Dead; an alternate universe of psychdelia that hurts like a spastic horror film feels. beautiful. we'll meet again in heaven, i'm sure.

then they inexplicably turned into Beck? wtf?

what the hell is GANTZ?! some kinda horroranime?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:59 pm

It was espionage morning at the Box Compound. It started with The Bourne Identity, then The Bourne Supremacy, and lastly Spy Game.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:02 pm

I can't get anywhere near my DVD even though I have High Tension Unrated and Audition Extended to watch. No, I had to go and get my partner Veronica Mars Season 1.x and he's fucking hooked. I only have myself to blame.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:05 pm

Still haven't seen Audition. It's on the very top of my need to see list.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:12 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
Brocktune wrote:GANTZ!!!!!!!
GANTZ!

i fucking love the BUTTHOLE SURFERS. at least, the Olde BUTTHOLE SURFERS. they were like the greatest band in the universe. and their live shows were unfreaking believable. they were like the super fun freaked out punk rock flipside of the Grateful Dead; an alternate universe of psychdelia that hurts like a spastic horror film feels. beautiful. we'll meet again in heaven, i'm sure.

then they inexplicably turned into Beck? wtf?

what the hell is GANTZ?! some kinda horroranime?

yeah, the buttholes used to fucking rule. then gibby went to rehab, and the rest was all downhill. incidentally, i saw gibby hanes's new band open up for Ween last year. i couldnt believe that nobody in the audience knew who he was. especially considering what a huge influence on ween the buttole surfers really were. i was a little bummed. how the mighty had fallen. he still had that cool vox effects box he used to have in the old days. only now, it was propped up on some old chair.

and as for Gantz, yes, it is like a horror anime, but its one of the best ive ever seen. its just a very unique, very compelling series that is as violent and offensive as it is fun and addicting. at least thats how i feel. definitely worth checking out if you ask me.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:24 pm

I forgot all about this thread!

My latest DVD grabs:

Land of The Dead: Unrated Directors Cut, Unleashed: Unrated, SCTV: Vol 4, Ultimate Billy Jack Collection, The Warriors: Ult Directors Cut.

Italian Genre Cinema: Your Vice Is A Locked Room and Only I Have The Key, What Have You Done To Solange? Partner, Love/Anger, Emergency Squad, A Man Call Magnum, The Boss/Killer Vs Killers (R2), The Last Round), City of The Living Dead (R2), Big Alligator River, A Whisper In the Dark.

Music on DVD: New Order: Item, The Right Spectacle: Best of Elvis Costello Videos, Pixies: financially secure with corporate-sponsored opinions 2004 Reunion Tour, Thunders Kane and Nolan.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:54 pm

Brocktune wrote:yeah, the buttholes used to fucking rule. then gibby went to rehab, and the rest was all downhill. incidentally, i saw gibby hanes's new band open up for Ween last year. i couldnt believe that nobody in the audience knew who he was. especially considering what a huge influence on ween the buttole surfers really were. i was a little bummed. how the mighty had fallen. he still had that cool vox effects box he used to have in the old days. only now, it was propped up on some old chair.

Oh sweet! Ween and the Buttholes go together like mescaline and quervo! Two of my favorite bands... thats weird that nobody knew who Gibby was. And it is kinda sad to see em fade away...

It's also funny how much Beck "borrowed" from Ween and the Buttholes too. Especially on Mellow Gold. He was able to transform their sound into pop-gold, though. Probably something to do with his weird satanic blood pact with the Scientologists...

Ween are an exceptionally good live band too. it's just that the Buttholes as their peak were a magical trainwreck of insanity...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:14 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Grande Rojo Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban.

LoL. It says Harry.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Brocktune on Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:16 pm

the first time i saw the butthole surfers, was on the beach at a military installation. gibby walks out on stage in just a pair of pants, with a beach ball in one hand, a shotgun in the other. at the end of the set, he started so set some shit on the stage on fire. including but possibly not limited to the drums. awesome!
and how about ween? man have they progressed since the early days. when i first started listening to them, it was just dean and gene with a tape machine. now they are a full blown jam band that rarely plays for less than 2 and a half hours at any given show. in the 10 plus years that i have followed these guys, they have gone from awesome, to unbelievably amazing. and beck... he sure did take a page out of the surfers book. he has really progressed too. but not as well as ween has. i thought that sea change was pretty weak. and i wasnt a big fan of mutations either. where as with ween, every single release is genius. but i see guero as something of a return to his later earlier work, ala odelay. i dont think he'll ever do anythng like stereopathetic soulmanure or mellow gold again. he burned that bridge with the success of where its at.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:35 pm

Just watched Weeds season 1, really like it although I have a sneaky suspicion it's just Desperate Housewives for stoners.

Some South park episodes; "Thy Tuk ur Jibs!" And the one where Cartman thinks he's dead. Best comedy show around at the moment.

In the middle of Chronicle Of Riddik. Bit ambivalent with this one, I like Riddick as a character but the film itself is pretty poor.

Just re-watched the DOTD (2004), love that film. The peeps I showed it to loved it as well.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby Brocktune on Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:40 pm

the 2004 version of DOTD is awesome. much better than LOTD, imo.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:50 pm

Brocktune you're exactly right. I quite like LOTD, but compared to this remake it's not great. JL has seen an uncut pirated version of LOTD which he says is better though.
TonyWilson

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:52 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Brocktune you're exactly right. I quite like LOTD, but compared to this remake it's not great. JL has seen an uncut pirated version of LOTD which he says is better though.

LOTD= Lord of the Dance
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:56 pm

ROFL

Yes Adam, is there something funny about Michael Flatley's magical dancing legs
TonyWilson

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:57 pm

Well, they don't equal KC's aweshum calves.....
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:57 pm

you damn right!

Respect the calves, bitches!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:00 pm

I'll find a picture of me with my "guns" out LOL.
TonyWilson

Postby John-Locke on Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:26 pm

Regarding the Land of The Dead Uncut version, it's better than the theatrical because of the extra scene(s? I only noticed one extra but there are probably extra lines of Dialogue) the gore isn't quite as much as I was expecting, yes it's horrific in places but there is nothing to beat Day of the Dead, even the guy getting his face torn off his skull seemed a bit weak. I prefered the Uncut Dawn 2004 but I still enjoy Land too, sequels to both would be very nice.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby bluebottle on Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:28 pm

Love 'em all.

Fuck man, I re-watched the original Night OTLD the other day.

It's so fucking awesome.

I love Romero.

LOTD wasn't great, but there's something about his style, his intent... He's classy.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:32 pm

I got a few things on my queue list:

Smallville Season 1 and 2

Lost S1 (again)

Some of my favorite Bond films [Dr. No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Live and Let Die, The Spy Who Loved Me, The Living Daylights, Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies] (to try to get some excitement over Craig's Bond)

Stargate Atlantis S1 and 2

Battlestar Galactica Season 1 and 2

Batman Begins (On Tuesday)

With Clone Wars Volume 2, Fantastic Four and Serenity on the horizon as well as the Second half of SG1, Atlantis and BSG, as well as school and work, I got some schedule.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby TonyWilson on Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:34 pm

I love the last few moments of the end credits on DOTD 2004, with the original yacht owner and the teo hot girls in night vision, hah that was such a twisted film.
TonyWilson

Postby bluebottle on Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:38 pm

I do love the DOTD remake...

I think the mall security dudes are hilarious. It's got some nice touches throughout.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:44 pm

Brocktune wrote:and as for Gantz, yes, it is like a horror anime, but its one of the best ive ever seen. its just a very unique, very compelling series that is as violent and offensive as it is fun and addicting. at least thats how i feel. definitely worth checking out if you ask me.

yo, i picked up the first vol. of Gantz along with the SUPERDUPER AWESOMNESS that is the Land of the Dead dvd the other day...

it is a seriously deranged and interesting show. i love the indictment of Japanese society that we see in the first episode. pretty edgy and unsetttling stuff! and the GreenOnion Kid just freaked me the fuck out. that scene got almost hard to watch after awhile. really unsettling and bizarre... it reminded me very much of Miike's stuff in terms of the sheer transgressiveness of the thing...

j-horror isn't dead yet!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:05 pm

thats what im talking about. just wait, it gets better. i have the first 6 dvds, but i think the whole thing wraps up after 10. 7 and 8 just came out recently, so im going to have to wait to find out how things really end up.
have you seen "Elfen Lied"? its not as balls to the wall as Gantz. but still really good.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray