What the f**k is "Equinox"? (new Criterion announced)

Betamax and beyond

What the f**k is "Equinox"? (new Criterion announced)

Postby Theta on Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:45 pm

So, I love the Criterion Collection. But occasionally they really throw me for a loop.

For example, in June they're releasing a movie called "Equinox", which is apparently basically an expanded student film from Dennis Muren.

I have nothing against cheesy, obscure horror movies from guys who'd go on to prominence being treated with respect, but a forty-dollar Criterion edition with commentary, detailed making-of, and two different cuts? Isn't this the kind of thing generally put out by Blue Underground or Synapse? Of course, this isn't the first time Criterion has done this: there's a $40 "Blob" out there because of them. Still, it never fails to surprise me: "The 400 Blows", "The Seventh Seal" aaaaand "Fiend Without a Face!"

Thoughts? Or, has anyone seen this thing and is it really worth that much cash?
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby StarWarsRedux on Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:55 pm

Could be they're going one-step-at-a-time closer to courting Lucas for an eventual Criterion release of all six episodes of Star Wars. Criterion's colaborated with Lucas before on interviews about Kurosawa, and they've released several 20th Century Fox films recently. I've always felt they might want to attempt a release of the American Graffiti movies at some point, seeing as they do a lot of Universal flicks. This prominent feature of a Dennis Muren project feels like it might eventually lead to the saga being given its own set of spine-numbers...
StarWarsRedux
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Brocktune on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:03 pm

i pretty much figure that if criterion is releasing it, there has got to be a good reason, and i should probably see it. even if it is a film that i end up not liking, my knowledge of art and film is greater for having watched it. for example:

Theta wrote:Of course, this isn't the first time Criterion has done this: there's a $40 "Blob" out there because of them

the reason is, because the blob isnt just your average b horror flick from the 50's. it was an unprecedented blending of styles. the horror flick, the angst ridden romance, the biker flick. because of the elements at work in the blob, close inspection reveals that it is a film that defies categorization. an honor that it has unfortunately been denied by historical and cultural memory. the fine folks at criterion realize this however, and do what small part they can, to tell those who will listen that this overlooked piece of art is worth a second glance.

criterion is the only company that i will buy a dvd from, even if i havent seen the movie. it doesnt matter. basically, always assume that here is a good, good reason for criterion to release anything that they do. and if they arent releasing it, well, there is an equally good reason for that a well. the guys at criterion are like some secret society made up of filmmakers and film lovers alike who are dedicated to the preservation of the art form. im confident that they are all light years ahead of me in terms of knowledge, and intelligence, and who the fuck am i to tell them that whatever they choose to release isnt deserving of that honor. can you tell that im just a trick ass fanboy who marks out for criterion all the time?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:16 pm

StarWarsRedux wrote:Could be they're going one-step-at-a-time closer to courting Lucas for an eventual Criterion release of all six episodes of Star Wars.

I'd kill to see that (well, the OT at least, I can do without the prequels, and the prequel sets are pretty much as definitive as we're going to get) but Fox would never allow that home video cash cow out of the pasture and Criterion would never do it without the original cuts. Personally, I'd just love to see Criterion unleashed on "Empire of Dreams", if for no othe reason than you know they'd include Phil Tippett's bitching about the Special Ed cuts.

As for "The Blob", all that may well be true, but it is still a pretty bad movie, and "Fiend without a Face" isn't so hot either. Of course, I'd sooner spend $40 on "The Blob" than on "Armageddon" or "The Rock"; I wonder who Michael Bay got photos of to get those releases to happen!
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Theta wrote:but it is still a pretty bad movie, and "Fiend without a Face" isn't so hot either.

all is relative. when Kurosawa's "Throne of Blood" was released in 1957, one american critic called it "laughable".
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:34 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Theta wrote:but it is still a pretty bad movie, and "Fiend without a Face" isn't so hot either.

all is relative. when Kurosawa's "Throne of Blood" was released in 1957, one american critic called it "laughable".

I'll grant you taste is relative. That's proven to me every time my fiancee and I sit down to watch a movie (we do not share the same tastes.) Technical proficiency isn't.

However, taste is all we're discussing here. After all, I only find "The Blob" being the Criterion Collection baffling: I don't hate it. I DO hate "8 1/2", so what do I know, I suppose.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:37 pm

Theta wrote:However, taste is all we're discussing here. After all, I only find "The Blob" being the Criterion Collection baffling: I don't hate it. I DO hate "8 1/2", so what do I know, I suppose.

hahaha.
and the cosmic ballet continues. :wink:
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:53 pm

Theta wrote:
Brocktune wrote:

I'll grant you taste is relative. .

Proven by the fact that you, in fact, have a fiancee, Theta.

Sorry...it was just sitting there, waiting for someone to take a swing....
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:02 pm

love the hair bear bunch, kilgore.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:16 pm

Brocktune wrote:love the hair bear bunch, kilgore.
I do it all for you guys...
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:53 am

Kilgore wrote:
Brocktune wrote:love the hair bear bunch, kilgore.
I do it all for you guys...

Off topic but I'm convinced that Billy Bob Thornton based Sling Blade's Karl on the Hair Bear with the hat pulled down over his eyes.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:15 am

Theta wrote:[ Of course, I'd sooner spend $40 on "The Blob" than on "Armageddon" or "The Rock"; I wonder who Michael Bay got photos of to get those releases to happen!

I'm willing to bet that The Rock and Armageddon were "Shit! We got bills to pay!" releases.

Criterion confuses me sometimes. Some movies get tons of extras. Others, like a few of Kurosawa's films are criminally neglected in the extras department and you almost expect them to have a cardboard case. :?
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby StarWarsRedux on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:55 pm

Theta wrote:
StarWarsRedux wrote:Could be they're going one-step-at-a-time closer to courting Lucas for an eventual Criterion release of all six episodes of Star Wars.

I'd kill to see that (well, the OT at least, I can do without the prequels, and the prequel sets are pretty much as definitive as we're going to get) but Fox would never allow that home video cash cow out of the pasture and Criterion would never do it without the original cuts. Personally, I'd just love to see Criterion unleashed on "Empire of Dreams", if for no othe reason than you know they'd include Phil Tippett's bitching about the Special Ed cuts.

Criterion would probably prefer to do it with the original cuts included as a suplemental feature-- they've included such versions for films by Bergman, Visconti, De Sica, etc. However, it would be going against one of their central thesises (thesi? theses?) to refuse Lucas' preferred cuts, as they've always prided themselves on releasing editions of films in the states their directors intended, or as close as possible if that director is no longer with us.

Honestly, I don't see it as much of a possibility, either. I'd love to see SW in the collection (including the prequels-- but let's not argue donuts to danishes at this moment), but it's likely that the video rights will remain in the mainstream. Remember, though, that Fox has been colaborating with Criterion quite a bit as of late, and that technically they may not even be the ones in charge of who gets to release the films. Lucas ultimately owns all of this enterprise.

But anyway. Regarding Equinox itself, Criterion's done B-movies before. They'll do it again. I just hope we don't see them do any more Michael Bay films.
StarWarsRedux
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:01 pm

I think there have been simultaneous Criterion and standard releases before. I wanna say they did that with The Royal Tennenbaums, maybe?
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby StarWarsRedux on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:12 pm

MadCapsule wrote:I think there have been simultaneous Criterion and standard releases before. I wanna say they did that with The Royal Tennenbaums, maybe?

Close. Wes Anderson's previous feature, Rushmore, as well as a number of other productions by Touchstone (Armageddon, The Rock) and Universal (Do The Right Thing, Brazil) have seen both standard and Criterion releases, often at the same time.
StarWarsRedux
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: What the f**k is "Equinox"? (new Criterion announced)

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:00 pm

I actually bought this almost Two Years ago when Tower Records went under.. Its a cool little b flick and now knowing that it was a bunch of ILM guys that made it, I see why the put it out. Spot on dvd though, wouldn't expect less from the label..

Now if I can only get the original GODZILLA on Criterion, life will be good.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Peven on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:07 pm

and here i saw the title of the thread and thought it was about "Equinox", the little indie movie with Mathew Modine and Lara Flynn Boyle

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:55 am

My video store actually rents Equinox Criterion Edition and I've thought about renting it but never have. From what I've read it doesn't sound like anything anybody would actually want to own and re-watch several times.

I think Criterion do occasionally squander their resources in giving their treatment to films that really don't deserve it. But I'm not in any hipster circuit and so maybe when these Criterion guys are all hanging out stroking their soul patches, smoking pot, reading NME, dropping names with their pretentious record store pals, that the idea of endorsing Kevin Smith or Michael Bay or even most of Wes Anderson's films seems like a good idea.

But I won't give them too hard a time, for every time they release some turd like Armageddon, Chasing Amy, or The Life Aquatic they put out ten good ones.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:37 am

Spandau Belly wrote:My video store actually rents Equinox Criterion Edition and I've thought about renting it but never have. From what I've read it doesn't sound like anything anybody would actually want to own and re-watch several times.

I think Criterion do occasionally squander their resources in giving their treatment to films that really don't deserve it. But I'm not in any hipster circuit and so maybe when these Criterion guys are all hanging out stroking their soul patches, smoking pot, reading NME, dropping names with their pretentious record store pals, that the idea of endorsing Kevin Smith or Michael Bay or even most of Wes Anderson's films seems like a good idea.

But I won't give them too hard a time, for every time they release some turd like Armageddon, Chasing Amy, or The Life Aquatic they put out ten good ones.

A POX ON YOUR HEAD!!!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:03 am

Peven's already put a million poxes on my head for my dislike of post-Rushmore Wes Anderson, but I always appreciate another.

I'm not sure if I've been lynched for not liking Kevin Smith in these parts yet or not. I know it happened plenty back in the old talkback days.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Peven on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:56 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Peven's already put a million poxes on my head for my dislike of post-Rushmore Wes Anderson, but I always appreciate another.

I'm not sure if I've been lynched for not liking Kevin Smith in these parts yet or not. I know it happened plenty back in the old talkback days.

feel free to not like KS :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:46 am

My two favorite Criterion releases have always been The Seventh Seal and Throne of Blood :mrgreen:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby The Vicar on Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:51 pm

Equinox was a weak little dufuss homemade film, it's sole "star" being the guy who went on to fame in WKRP as Herb Tarlek ( Frank Bonner). ( he's in there under a slightly different name). Nothing worth recommending, nor can I fathom the need for a Criterion release. Are there not better films, more deserving ones than this?
Um, yeah.
There is a great deal of farting and tap dancing about some book, which I think Sam Raimi may have nicked for his "book of the dead" in EvilDeadI and II.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:46 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Peven's already put a million poxes on my head for my dislike of post-Rushmore Wes Anderson, but I always appreciate another.

I think the ZONE is more anti Kevin than Pro Kev, but we Pro's are a strong Special Interest Group!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby boardbrtn on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:46 am

I feel like, and I know a lot of people will disagree but fuck it, The Blair Witch Project deserves a Criterion release. I know it wasn't the first mockumentary, but it revolutionized it as far as I'm concerned. And I'm pretty sure that's Criterion's goal right? To bring primo DVD releases for films that have done something differently...

On a side note... Armagedon? Really, Criterion? Really? ...

On another side note... The Rock? Really, Criterion?
boardbrtn
GLIB

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:24 pm

Even though I hate Michael Bay, in a sad, sick way I have to admit that he has a signature style and is one of the most influential directors of our time. And on that level I can understand the Criterionizing of two of Bay's films. But I'd rather there was some sort of quality control that kept that garbage out and helped us all move on with our lives towards better filmmaking in the blockbuster action genre.

And The Blair Witch Project actually wouldn't be a bad idea. I mean, I wouldn't buy it or anything, but I thought it was pretty good at the time as an example of a successful no-budget movie. Plus there must be oodles of special features they could include.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:33 pm

Blair Witch is one of the few films that I actually had problems sleeping for about a week. I think it triggers certain fears in some people, nothing at all in others. I haven't been camping since. It didn't help that I saw it at the Drive-in.

There's a ton of extra shit out there for it. It makes sense to do a Criterion.

Criterion's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is amazing. Listen to Hunter's commentary a few minutes in for a speaker-destroying shriek.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:18 pm

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:Blair Witch is one of the few films that I actually had problems sleeping for about a week. I think it triggers certain fears in some people, nothing at all in others. I haven't been camping since. It didn't help that I saw it at the Drive-in.

There's a ton of extra shit out there for it. It makes sense to do a Criterion.

Criterion's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is amazing. Listen to Hunter's commentary a few minutes in for a speaker-destroying shriek.

I wore out my frist copy of FEAR AND LOATHING Criterion's version... There is so much shit on that DVD its not funny!
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Return to DVD / Blu-ray