What to Do About HARRY'S DVD PICKS & PEEKS

Betamax and beyond

What to Do About HARRY'S DVD PICKS & PEEKS

Postby Headgeek on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:27 am

Hey folks, Harry here...

Sorry I'm not here more, but my PENTHOUSE work, girlfriend relationship cultivation, the site in general and the film projects... well they've all taken a leap for the better and that's left me with scant time. But I seem to see a break in life anarchy soon.

SO - here's what I wanted to ask you folks.

I know a great many of you loved my DVD PICKS & PEEKS columns, and what I want to know is this... I could just start up and do an April Column and just try to keep it up from there forward -- but what I hate is losing the picks from January - March of this year. Would y'all like me to basically publish the list with like a single sentence about each pick for each of those months. Or just do the full job on April forward and let bygones be bygones?

Harry
Headgeek
AICN Crew

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:38 am

It sounds like you're saying that just picking up from April would be easier (well, obviously) and want to know if any of us care if you let the releases that dropped into stores January - March go by without mentioning them. Well since this is sort of like a poll thing, I personally don't care; I mean if you're only going to devote about a sentence to them I don't think it matters a whole lot anyway, and I'm sure it'd be easier for you considering your schedule is already probably pretty insane right now. Maybe if there are a couple DVDs released in the past few months that you feel like you really have to talk about, you could put them at the beginning of the April article, or in their own article? But I'd say just skip most or all of them and don't worry about it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:39 am

Forget January - March H@rry...lets look to the future!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:46 am

Start afresh from April H@rry. Sounds like it would be easier. there doesnt seem to be much point doing Jan - March if its just a sentence per dvd. I like the sprawling explanations of each film.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Coldfire24 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:02 am

I think you should start fresh.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:08 am

Gotta agree with the consensus here. Although, as Ribbons says perhaps mention the particular ones of note you have missed. I'll not bear a grudge.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby The Thin Man on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:46 am

It would be pointless just giving each DVD a single line. You would just end up doing the sort of ponitless, limit review a lot of other so-called film sites do. I have alway enjoyed your full reviews and they are one of the main reasons I visit this site. You have a passion and knowledge of the films that can only come out in a full on write up.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:49 am

Start with the April DVDs, but if there's something *particularly* special, and I know it's hard to differentiate, but bear with me, you should write a sentence about them.

For example, if it were June, and you had missed Mar-May, you should write something about Kong. Just had to bring Kong into this somehow.

So, yeah. Start afresh unless something particularly gets your nipples twanging.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby wonkabar on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:00 am

I'd like a little something about the last three months myself, just a quick recap and on to April...but whatever is easiest.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:09 am

Start fresh I say. A new slate. Maybe... just maybe... do one or two really special releases close to your heart, but don't go overboard on everything you've seen.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang *KOFF* (hint hint)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Proinsias on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:23 am

Jan-Mar have gone by...so give them a painting of a spitfire and let them go...Agree with everyone, always enjoy the longer reviews.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:05 am

Does or has AICN do podcasts? Or is that too much work. I dunno... would reeling off verbally off the top of the head be harder or easier than writing the reviews?

I personally prefer written, but... I got a new iPod... :D

*vanishes into the fog*
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:17 am

Hows about doing 20 or so two line reviews of the most important ones, probably the ones that have never been available at all before in the US, leaving off the commercial releases that we have all heard about anyway.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Carolian on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:30 am

Yeah, another vote for the mob (GIVE US BARABBAS!) here. Maybe reference the ones from the past that you're totally interested in, or that we may not have heard of, but otherwise... eyes on the future!

And yeah, it's good to see El Grande Rojo in the Zone. When's Merrick gonna visit the Zone, anyway? I dig that guy's style.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Flumm on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:31 am

Lol Carolian, good point. I felt kinda sorry for Merrick, it's like he walked into the show midseason or something. I wish some of the more cynical TBers would give the guy a break. He seems like a good guy if you ask me.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Carolian on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:36 am

Yeah, I hope the TBers don't break him. They seemed pretty cool about his Star Trek piece (as they should have been, because it kicked ass!), but God knows that "burlap sack full of rabid fucking ferrets" called the Talkback could've tried Gandhi's patience.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby John-Locke on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:00 am

I sent Merrick an e-mail inviting him to come sign up for the Zone, why don't some of you fools do the same and he's more likely to come visit.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:04 am

I'm always suprised the Hozza and Moriarty actually involved themselves in TB's. It's not worth the effort, imo... let people rant.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:26 am

Hmmm Seems Merrick has already registered

http://zone.aintitcool.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3136
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:42 am

Here's another vote to start fresh in April...
you could always point people to Moriarty's January-March DVD reviews.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Vegeta on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:12 am

I did miss the DVD picks, but starting with April sounds good to me. Thanks, Harry!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:42 pm

Well, I've always looked to your DVD Picks & Peeks to introduce me to films I wasn't aware of.

I'd be happy if you just put up pics of the cover art of your picks from January thru March without any reviews, just to see what you've been interested in. People would be pissed about not having any reviews, but fuck 'em. I'm perfectly willing to do my own research on anything that looks like it would interest me.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby monorail77 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:07 pm

I'm with the mob too. Start fresh in April and maybe give us obscure or notable highlights from Jan-Mar.

Thanks H'arry!
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Petri on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:11 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Start fresh I say. A new slate. Maybe... just maybe... do one or two really special releases close to your heart, but don't go overboard on everything you've seen.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang *KOFF* (hint hint)

I'm with Atomic. Just tell us a couple of the very best and move on from there.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:12 pm

quit living in the past!!!!

but seriously - i agree with the peeps that said - for the most part - just start fresh from now and do your thing - maybe mention the coupla must-haves from the past - which - technically - should be worthwhile in the new ones too - we don't need to know EVERYTHING coming out in the month - that pretty much gets covered by Moriarty on the weekly release - just right up some long-winded geektastic remarks about what - in your opinion - we as geeks - have to have/get/watch or we gots to turn in our geek card... i love the peeks and picks - but usually only for the ones i've never heard of - or for the ones that are truly worth geeking out over - and it probably wouldn't be as much work...

but either way - best of luck...and i look forward to whatever gets put out... which is what gaffney said to me the first time we met...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby jgraphix on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:15 pm

I think you should go back from march of LAST year. :wink:
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

ETA: Seeeeeee?!?!?!?!?!? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

mannnn.... i'm really get weired out...again - by everybody's posts leap frogging over mine...

fuck Gaffney!!! what the hell you trying to do to me?!?!?!?... it's like watching bantha and kirk "play in the park" if you know what i mean... one is always trying to get over/in front of the other... :x :x :x :x
Last edited by havocSchultz on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Cineister Jim on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:09 pm

DAMN! I'm late!

Oh well, I say start fresh in April...shit, it is April?!?!

If it saves time, just cover some of the more obscure or lesser exposed releases, I enjoy reading your synopsis and reviews too much to let them go.
J.W. Grant: You bastard.

Rico: Yes sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, you're a self-made man.
Cineister Jim
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:29 pm

April is like Spring, you know... starting fresh and that whole bag. So I say so the same with the DVD column.

Oh, and Havoc. I love your avatar. I used to have that as my sig. Hilarious.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:05 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
Oh, and Havoc. I love your avatar. I used to have that as my sig. Hilarious.

how did you get access to my home movies... :?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby lyra belacqua on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:11 pm

Is it just me, or does H@rry mention his girlfriend in, like every single post he does? He reminds me of the girls in 7th grade who had to mention their "boyfriend" in every other sentence, just to remind everyone else of what they had.

And will his "sex bliss" keep him from banning my ass for making fun? :wink:
lyra belacqua
GEEK GODDESS

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:13 pm

lyra belacqua wrote:Is it just me, or does H@rry mention his girlfriend in, like every single post he does? He reminds me of the girls in 7th grade who had to mention their "boyfriend" in every other sentence, just to remind everyone else of what they had.

And will his "sex bliss" keep him from banning my ass for making fun? :wink:

and did you hear she's only 19!!!, way to go H@rry!!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:41 pm

I personally don't like anybody to know if I have a girlfriend or not. Especially my family and a couple of my buddies....you know the the type, the ones you can't trust with your girlfriend. (The girls don't tend it like it when you try to keep them a secret though...oh well). But you see, if you talk about your girlfriend/boyfriend all the time then everybody is gonna know it when you DON'T have one... cuz all the sudden you shut the fuck up. And you're gonna get that "all eyes are on you/like you lost a fucking leg or something" sympathy-crap. However, if everybody knows you as the type of person who never likes to talk about your girlfriend/boyfriend, then they're always wondering but never really sure. Then you can avoid any annoying questions. In fact, I like to tell people the exact opposite of what's going in my life whenever I can. If someone asks if I have girlfriend and I do, I say "no." If things are going really well and I just landed a cool job, I say things are going shitty. That way when something falls through you won't have folks asking "so how did that thing go?" I TRY to do this, at least, it's hard cuz you really wanna share your good fortune with others.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Petri on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:48 pm

Ok, I'm ready for your next picks, H@rry. My Netflix queue needs some bolstering as it is down to a sparse 471 movies.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Seppuku on Mon May 01, 2006 7:19 pm

The first Tuesday of the month is drawing near, and I'm expecting a column Harry... If you find it hard to find time to come up with the goods, well just give up sleep. Seriously, I know a good speed dealer in Austin called Made Melvin and I'm sure I can hook you two up.

Your DVD columns are my favourite thing about this site: just you rambling about films you've selected, without any hype. To scale it down to one-sentence reviews would just be a bummer... Don't be so selfish, what's one little 19 year old girlfriend compared to thousands of doting fans (who are mostly aged 21 and above, meaning we're more real than her)? If you really want to be cool give up sleep/take up speed/write the damn column!

Now TEEEEEN HUT! Hop to it soldier!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Petri on Wed May 03, 2006 1:20 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:The first Tuesday of the month is drawing near, and I'm expecting a column Harry... If you find it hard to find time to come up with the goods, well just give up sleep. Seriously, I know a good speed dealer in Austin called Made Melvin and I'm sure I can hook you two up.

Your DVD columns are my favourite thing about this site: just you rambling about films you've selected, without any hype. To scale it down to one-sentence reviews would just be a bummer... Don't be so selfish, what's one little 19 year old girlfriend compared to thousands of doting fans (who are mostly aged 21 and above, meaning we're more real than her)? If you really want to be cool give up sleep/take up speed/write the damn column!

Now TEEEEEN HUT! Hop to it soldier!

So say we all
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Return to DVD / Blu-ray