Audio tracks: Dolby Digital 5.1; DTS English
Languages: English
Genre: Animation
Subtitles: Greek, French, Korean; Japanese; Portuguese; Spanish subtitles
Runtime: 26.0 mins
Format: DVD, All Regions

DVD Special Features

- Audio commentary with director/animator Anthony Lucas
- Audio commentary with Helmut Bakaitis (Head of Directing, NIDA, and the voice of Dr Claude Belgon – the biologist)
- Anthony Lucas' Short Films: HOLDING YOUR BREATH (OFFICIAL SELECTION Cannes Film Festival), SLIM PICKINGS (OFFICIAL SELECTION Sundance Film Festival), THE SHADOWLANDS, THE AMPHIBIAN
- Documentary: THE WORLD OF JASPER MORELLO
-Video animatic
-Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS audio
-Optional French, Greek, Spanish, Japanese and Korean subtitles

Synopsis
Set in a world of iron airships, this silhouette animation tells the story of Jasper Morello, a disgraced aerial navigator who flees his plague-ridden home hoping to redeem himself. His expedition leads him to an island which is home to a monster that may hold the cure for the Plague. The journey back is filled with dangers but, Jasper soon discovers that the greatest horror of all lies within man himself.

Review

For those of you who are familiar with Anthony Lucas' work than get ready for some of his best. For those of you who haven't, you needn't worry; another 4 Anthony Lucas short films are on this DVD.
If you haven't seen the Shadow world of Anthony Lucas, your in for quite a treat. The animation, the design, the lighting and texturing are the best they have ever been in any Lucas film you might have seen (Keep in mind which Lucas we're talking about here people!) Every scene is so packed with intense shadowy detail that I wanted to pause the DVD to make sure I had seen everything. The way the mechanical airships floated through the sky looked magnificent and the artwork and textures made every detail, on every scene, stand out like it was just drawn on you TV screen.
Although the characters were well defined and clearly well written, I still found it hard to connect with any of them. The plot also felt like it was paced a little to quickly - but it's a short film right? I have seen Harvie Krumpet - another short film (clay animated) - and while it may have been a bit longer, I felt more for that character (Harvie Krumpet) than I did with any of the ones in Jasper Morello. This could be due to the dark nature of the film. While Krumpet was a light hearted film, Jasper Morello deals with the more darker side of humanity. On that note, I also found myself wondering "what could have been" with this story because as I mentioned before, the plot does move rather quickly, but I would very much like to see a feature length film from Anthony Lucas. He does seem to have the potential.
All that out of the way, I don't think anyone will dislike this short film. It's a visionary delight and a very intriguing story, with an ending that will probably leave you wanting to see more from this talented director and his strange dark world.

Eric G
AIRWOLF

Return to DVD / Blu-ray