Comments on Commentaries

Betamax and beyond

Re:

Postby aura on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:37 pm

erasmus wrote:Blood Simple has a fake comentary written by the Coen brothers but spoken by some actor. Its performed in the style of the pretentious film scholar commentaries you sometimes hear on classic film dvds where the creators are either dead or unavailable. Its strange and hilarious although I don't remember if I made it through the whole thing( I don't listen to the commentary tracks like I used to before I got married, but its a small sacrifice).

I tend to like it when people get a little creative with commentaries.

But I think there's a slight trend now. They seem to be so obviously scripted.

You would think that "scripted" might be better than just a bunch of people sitting around, but sometimes, that's not the case.
aura
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: Comments on Commentaries

Postby Tootsjofus on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:09 pm

One commentary that stands out for me was on the directors cut of Almost Famous. Cameron Crowe does it with his real mom. She denies alot of the stuff in the movie and CC is 'no mom that shit happened'. They both expand on alot of the scenes as well.
Tootsjofus
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Sun May 03, 2009 1:17 am

Sort of a comment on comments on commentaries post here, but...

Onion's Commentary Tracks of the Damned

Reviews of bad commentaries on (mostly) bad movies
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re:

Postby Bloo on Thu May 14, 2009 3:44 am

evolvingsensblty wrote:I can't think of any other authors who have done a commentary for a movie based on their book.

Tom Clancy did a commentary on SUM OF ALL FEARS with the director, most memorable to me, there's a shot of some bomb and Clancy goes "is that supposed to be a bomb or a missle" and Robinson goes "umm a missle" and Clancy goes "wrong dimensons" so Robinson goes "a bomb" and Clancy goes "wrong dimensons"
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Thu May 14, 2009 7:19 am

after going through this thread, I have to say one of my favorite commentaries is the real life poker player commentary on ROUNDERS
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 28, 2009 2:24 am

I just saw Following, which I think is Christopher Nolan's first film. The story is so-so, but the commentary he does for that one is pretty excellent, especially for anyone who's either an aspiring filmmaker or just likes making short films in their spare time. He basically tells you how to make a movie for no money, which is what Following is.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby quiethell on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:42 am

Ribbons wrote:I just saw Following, which I think is Christopher Nolan's first film. The story is so-so, but the commentary he does for that one is pretty excellent, especially for anyone who's either an aspiring filmmaker or just likes making short films in their spare time. He basically tells you how to make a movie for no money, which is what Following is.

I like that film a lot, but I never listened to the commentary. I'll have to check that out. Thanks.
quiethell
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Brit Pop on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:37 am

I recently re-watched all three LOTR special editions with the cast commentary on... a few things I noticed...

1) Viggo dont do commentary, not sure why not, either he's too important to do it or its against his method moral code or something!

2) By the time the second film commentary is being done, I guess the LOTR phenomenon was in full swing... all of the cast seem to be getting a bit 'head up arse' by that point, the whole thing smacks of 'we're involved in the greatest films to ever be made'... with the exception of Boyd, Monahan and McKellen - who are all awesome!

3) Billy Boyd & Dominic Monahan are absolutely hilarious when doing commentaries, I think all new DVD releases should have a Bill n Dom audio option - in fact they should record commentaries for every film ever made!

4) I've said it before and I'll say it again - Sean Astin has got to be the biggest, most self-important, Struggling Background Artist to ever grace the acting world, the amount of times he interrupts Wood & Serkis so he can tell the story is just so irritating, I hate the bloke - in case you hadnt guessed!!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:00 am

Astin is unbearable in these commentaries....and fortunately mostly invisible these days. The worst "lets talk about me" wanker evar.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Brit Pop on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:47 am

The Vicar wrote:Astin is unbearable in these commentaries....and fortunately mostly invisible these days. The worst "lets talk about me" wanker evar.

I dunno why but he's always wound me up... first he made that uber-shite short film that was pegged onto FOTR - which showed us that if people of all heights work together they can achieve anything.

Then, he threw that hissy fit when Serkis accidently pulled his wig off....

Then, he cried at the Oscars...

And his commentary on the dvd's is so self-congratulatory I cant stand it! Should have cast Johnny Vegas instead!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:57 am

Brit Pop wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Astin is unbearable in these commentaries....and fortunately mostly invisible these days. The worst "lets talk about me" wanker evar.

I dunno why but he's always wound me up... first he made that uber-shite short film that was pegged onto FOTR - which showed us that if people of all heights work together they can achieve anything.

oh gaga... i'd forgotten that thing even existed. thanks for reminding me... asshole. :wink: :peven:
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:04 am

Brit Pop wrote:1) Viggo dont do commentary, not sure why not, either he's too important to do it or its against his method moral code or something!

He does do horse documentaries though.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brit Pop on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:06 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Brit Pop wrote:

oh gaga... i'd forgotten that thing even existed. thanks for reminding me... asshole. :wink: :peven:

I think they show that short film at Guantanamo for the guests!

And dont forget, PJ was the bus driver - that Sean Astin is one clever dude with his symbolism!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:13 am

Stallone cracked me up on his commentary for Rocky Balboa. When the MGM logo comes up, Stallone just says "And there's that stupid Lion". Had to stop to carry on laughing.

The other one that I think might top it, for the wrong undeliberate reasons is an Arnie Schwarz commentary for a Tri-Star production. The bloody prat says when the logo starts with the horse coming at the screen... "HAYAAHHH AAAARNN HEERE AAAH CAARRRM, YAAAAH AAAHM CAARRMEEENG AT YOOOUUU AAAHM CAARRMEEENGGG AND AAAHM HHHHHEEEEEREE!!!!!!!" Prat. haven't seen it yet but I heard, it sounds wrongly hilarious.... I.... I.... I think I made this post before here haven't I? Darnit, been here too long.

Sean Astin. studly Wanker. Trying to direct choppers on LOTR when it's not even his job, gonna get someone killed. I think secretly the other Hobbits didn't like him, they just didn't show it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Brit Pop on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Sean Astin. studly Wanker. Trying to direct choppers on LOTR when it's not even his job, gonna get someone killed. I think secretly the other Hobbits didn't like him, they just didn't show it.

Ha Ha! I'd forgotten about that.... should have gone all Vic Morrow on his ass.. no, thats mean! Oh ok, shoulda!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby ironic name on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:12 pm

ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:30 pm

They have a "virtual commentary" on The Getaway that I listened to for a bit. I think they just took a bunch of interviews that McQueen, Peckinpah, and Ali McGraw did separately for that movie and edited them together. It was pretty sweet though, especially as 'The Getaway' was the movie that introduced McQueen and McGraw. It's interesting hearing them talk about each other and then about their characters being in love on screen. Maybe I'm projecting, but it seems like those two things were inadvertently bleeding into each other a bit. I read this article in Vanity Fair about Ali McGraw in which she recalls that Steve used to call her his "old lady," which is exactly how he refers to her character in these interviews. It was cute.

(and also ever so slightly perverted listening to two people who we now know were boning on the sly.)
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Seppuku on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:38 pm

You can see the love in McGraw's eyes the moment McQueen lands that huge wallop right on her face. Such a romantic scene! ♥♥♥
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:58 pm

Seppuku wrote:You can see the love in McGraw's eyes the moment McQueen lands that huge wallop right on her face. Such a romantic scene! ♥♥♥

:lol:

Yeah it was certainly a..uhh...stormy romance. In that article McGraw's former agent pretty much says that she was an angel and he was a huge Struggling Background Artist.

But I still think the whole thing is kind of sweet :oops:
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:54 pm

ironic name wrote:

I've watched the Conan commentary with those two before, and that is exactly what the fuck was going on, spread out over the whole movie. It seemed to me that Arnold hadn't watched Conan in a decade until he sat down to do the commentary. Its pretty funny...he literally has nothing of value to add.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray