Comments on Commentaries

Betamax and beyond

Comments on Commentaries

Postby evolvingsensblty on Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:25 am

Anyone listen to commentaries on DVD's? Most of the commentaries I've heard are tedious or forgettable. I'd like to hear about good, weird, or "so bad they are good" commentaries. Please, please, tell me Dino Delaurentis has done some commentaries. Any Arnold Schwarzenegger commentaries are in the "so bad it's good" category. The Spinal Tap comments were fun because they do them in character. The Jack Black and R. Linklater commentary for School of Rock was pretty good.
I think the worst I've heard is the Farrelly Bros. All they do is point out friends and relatives in the background playing extras.
evolvingsensblty
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby wonkabar on Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:32 am

I thought Irvin Kershner on TESB sucked pretty bad...."and here's where Luke uses the force to get his lightsaber" yeah, no shit. All through the movie too, sounding like fucking Bullwinkle all the while... "and here's where Han gets frozen in carbonite" Such a pity
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:30 am

DEADWOOD. Season 1. Episode 12. "Sold Under Sin".

Just Ian McShane and Timothy Olyphant.

Best I've ever heard. Ian is a riot (impressions, attitude, timing) and Olyphant plays off of him extremely well.
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Comments on Commentaries

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:34 am

evolvingsensblty wrote:Any Arnold Schwarzenegger commentaries are in the "so bad it's good" category.

Maybe it's about time I watch the special edition Total Recall that I have... with exclusive rare Schwarzenegger commentary action!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby evolvingsensblty on Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:54 am

wonkabar wrote:I thought Irvin Kershner on TESB sucked pretty bad

Are those Star Wars commentaries done in a group, or were they recorded individually and edited together? I'd like to hear Carrie Fisher's comments, but I don't think I could listen to Lawrence Kasdan for too long. His voice is...umm...unique.
His son Jake sounds just like him. He does a weird commentary for Orange County with the screenwriter Mike White. Jake rambles on and on while White grunts and mumbles occasionally. He sounds bored/stoned/confused/irritated. I think he was just there to keep Kasdan honest.
evolvingsensblty
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: Comments on Commentaries

Postby evolvingsensblty on Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:02 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
evolvingsensblty wrote:Any Arnold Schwarzenegger commentaries are in the "so bad it's good" category.

Maybe it's about time I watch the special edition Total Recall that I have... with exclusive rare Schwarzenegger commentary action!!

It is definitely time. I wasn't a fan of Terminator 3 until I watched it with his comments.
evolvingsensblty
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:05 am

Moriarty's in the Zone! I think he should do a "Phantom Zone Commentary"
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:56 am

Even better than a the Spinal Tap commentary is a the one onna the Bubba Ho-Tep with a "The King" a himself, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:57 am

Shit, I haven't listened to that one yet either!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:58 am

The Fight Club commentary is really good although HBC was spliced in to it and you can tell.

Seven SE has great commentaries by film historians and the like.

Oh and Dog Soldiers has the director and 45 of the cast getting pissed and taking the piss through the whole things it's class
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:03 am

I can't get into listening to commentaries.
it annoys the crap out of me. I'm trying to watch the damn movie! Shut up!
although i do remember listening to Arnold's commentary on Conan (i can't remember iffa the Dino was in it) and laughing my ass off. He obviously hadn't watched the movie in decades, and his comments were rediculous.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby evolvingsensblty on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:39 am

TonyWilson wrote:The Fight Club commentary is really good although HBC was spliced in to it and you can tell.

Chuck Palahniuk does one for Fight Club too. I can't think of any other authors who have done a commentary for a movie based on their book. John Irving does one for Cider House, but he also wrote the script.

I liked Mike Nichols and Steven Soderbergh on Catch 22. Roger Ebert sounds like he's on speed at the start of Citizen Kane, rushing through it with too much information. Peter Bogdanovich commentary track is more relaxed and he does some funny impersonations.
evolvingsensblty
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:49 am

Holy shit, I'm nearly at 200! I need to write something with content... what happens to a smoker when he quits smoking? Does he become a raving lunatic? I'm thinking of quitting myself, and I feel the habit taking a toll on my health.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:07 am

Some Favorite commentaries:

QT and Jack Hill's commentary for Switchblade Sisters

Roger Eberts commentary on Citizen Kane

John Landis and Co for Kentucky Fried Movie

QT commentary for True Romance

John Carpenter and Kurt Russell's The Thing commentary

David Warbeck and Catriona MacColls commentary for The Beyond

Reanimator commentaries by Stuart Gordon, Brian Yuzna, Jeffrey Combs etc.

Sir Chris Frayling/Alex Cox's commentaries for Once Upon A Time In The West

Chan Wook Park and Chung Chung Hoon commentary for Oldboy

Joe Bob Briggs/Meir Zarchi's commentaries for I Spit On Your Grave

Bob Clark/John Saxon/Keir Dullea's commentaries for Black Christmas
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:26 am

If I've seen a movie before I rent/buy it, the first thing I'll do is listen to the commentaries. Best part of the DVD.

All the LotR commentaries are good, although Phylippa gets fucking annoying talking about how in need of change all of Tolkien's work was. ("Tolkien had no character arc for Faramir so we had to fix that...") The Hulk one was fascinating. I just listened to The Day The Earth Stood Still commentary with Bob Wise and Nick Meyer and that was damn good.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:28 am

The commentary on "Cannibal the Musical" is pretty amusing. Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and others in the cast get progressively drunk and increasingly abusive as the movie goes on. The commentary is probably more interesting than the movie.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:54 pm

I just listened to the "Conan" commentary a couple weeks ago, and my friend and I decided it would make for a brilliant drinking game.

Every time Milius makes a comment and Arnold responds with "Yeah," "I know," "Exactly," or some other affirmation despite the fact that he clearly has no idea what Milius is talking about, take a drink.

When Arnold mentions how this is the part where he "punched that horse" despite the fact that it's a camel and it wont happen for 5-10 minutes, take a shot.

Every time they point out exactly what is happening/about to happen, drink.

Every time Milius praises his own script, drink.

Every time Milius says the word "valkyrie," take a shot.

Every time they talk about an actress' breasts or make some other uncomfortable sexual comment, drink.

Every time Milius snorts, sniffles, or otherwise indicates that he has severe nasal blockage, take a shot of something hard. (This bugged the fuck out of me. Seriously John, pause the commentary, go blow your goddamn nose, take some Robitussin, do SOMETHING, I really don't need those noises in my head).

Good luck. You'll probably be piss-drunk inside 30 minutes.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:07 pm

LMAO!! Good Ol John Milius. That guy is a character. No wonder The Coens used him as the inspiration for Walter Sobchak.

"That rug really tied the room together did it not?"
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby evolvingsensblty on Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:47 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:When Arnold mentions how this is the part where he "punched that horse" despite the fact that it's a camel and it wont happen for 5-10 minutes, take a shot.
Ipamp...
Every time they talk about an actress' breasts or make some other uncomfortable sexual comment, drink.
See also Arnie's comments about the female Terminator on the T3 DVD. Milius needs to do a commentary for Apocalypse Now and Red Dawn. That would be a comedy goldmine.
evolvingsensblty
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:03 pm

Anna he's a the GOVERNOR of a the California... the lesson, she's a clear...

or is a she?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby vicious_bastard on Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:27 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:Some Favorite commentaries:
QT commentary for True Romance

One of my favourites. The Simpsons DVDs have great commentaries as well. The "Drugs" episode of Brass Eye features a bunch of street drinkers and drug addicts who Morris paid to watch the show and rant.

Didn't Harry do a commentary for that special Korean Oldboy boxset? Anyone heard it?
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:31 pm

Oh, and anyone of Kevin Smith's commentaries are always a riot, Clerks in particular. Can't believe I forgot about that.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:37 pm

The American Pie commentary is pretty entertaining. Adam Herz talks about growing up in Michigan and Eddie Kaye Thomas keeps pointing out the hot chicks.

"Oh, she is so hot."
"Eddie, please."
"Oh, sorry. Dude, she is so hot."
"Eddie! This is the DVD, this is going to be around forever."
"Oh, right. Sorry. Man, she is so hot."
"Eddie!"

Paraphrased, but pretty accurate.

Bruce Campbell on the Evil Dead 2 commentary is worth the price of the disc and more. Any time Sam is reluctant to tell a story Bruce has no problem jumping in and embarassing everyone. There's even a story about the flower logo of the releasing company that Dino set up to put the movie out.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:55 pm

"Scooby Doo anna the Legend of a the Vampire" has a the Fred, Shaggy, anna Scooby doing a the commentary track inna character, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby bluebottle on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:57 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:"Scooby Doo anna the Legend of a the Vampire" has a the Fred, Shaggy, anna Scooby doing a the commentary track inna character, eh?

get out.

it does not.

is it good?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:59 pm

The DVD, she does indeed have a these three onna the commentary... is it good? Well, you just have a to listen anna find out for a yourself, hehehe...

As a treat, you get a to see Daphne inna the bikini inna like a the first 5 minutes... they put that inna for alla the fanboys... iffa you see it, you know what I mean, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:01 pm

Velma is waaaaaaay hotter than Daphne.

Linda Cardinellini all the way baby.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:25 pm

For a good time check out the actor commentary on the 2-disc version of Boogie Nights. PTA watched the movie with Wahlberg, Guzman, and a bunch of others and they all riff on it like crazy. I think Guzman was high. You can even hear Fiona Apple in the background a few times. The different viewings are spliced together but its still pretty entertaining.

"I don't mean to wax you car here, but..."
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:18 pm

I have a DVD for The Tattoo Connection (A 70s Jim Kelly kung fu film) and the comnmentary is by Luke Y Thompson and Greg Weinkauf. The guy Luke Y Thompson sounds like Butthead. Its pretty annoying, but funny in parts too. Its like the equivalent of an audio commentary by 2 AICN Talkbackers.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:41 pm

From TheDigitalBits:
Finally this morning (our last news item), there's confirmation from 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm that the release of Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, certain to be one of the biggest sellers of the year, will be DVD only. There will be no VHS version released.

So VHS is truly dead?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:16 pm

Yes, and will be buried shortly.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:58 pm

Pourin' a forty of head cleaner on the corner y'all.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:11 pm

My mother keeps buying VHS's and there's nothing I can do to stop her. I said "Mama mia! You're a bein a goddamn putz. The VHS, she as dead as...how you say...dead as Dinocitta Studios. But a the DVD, she a live forever like a the Fellini, eh?"

She didn't know what I was saying, so she slapped me just to be safe.

This comedic bit © 2005 Dino De Laurentiis
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:31 pm

I recommend listening to Guillermo del Toro's commentaries. Well, I mean, I'm sort of addicted to those things, so you might not find them interesting, but I don't know. BLADE II commentaries were pretty entertaining; David Goyer's impression of Guillermo was hilarious ("Look, Davey Goyer! Look at all the vaginas!") and you can always count on del Toro to provide some technical insight into the production, if that's your thing.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby dimnix on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:48 pm

Cannibal! The Musical : Best Commentary Ever.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Resident Evil

Postby Pissed-Off Crawdad on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:54 pm

The commentary for Resident Evil with Milla Jovivich, Michelle Rodriguez, and Paul Anderson is actually very funny. You can tell that Anderson is trying to be serious about the movie, while Jovivich keeps making comments about how one of the actors loved yogurt (she screams "yogurt!" with Rodriguez whenever he appears from that point on), and towards the end, she makes an announcement that went something like "Oooh, look, here comes my crotch shot!" Yeah, it's really bad stuff, and I think it's Milla's first (and maybe last) commentary. But it made me laugh.
Pissed-Off Crawdad
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby dimnix on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:00 pm

heh, yeah, I've seen that Resident Evil commentary. Early on Anderson is talking about something technical, during Milla's shower scene, and she interupts him saying "okay, shut up, because we just saw my NIPPLE".
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby bluebottle on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:09 pm

dimnix wrote:heh, yeah, I've seen that Resident Evil commentary. Early on Anderson is talking about something technical, during Milla's shower scene, and she interupts him saying "okay, shut up, because we just saw my NIPPLE".

i know what movie i'm re-renting.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:15 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby cinephile2000 on Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:28 pm

I really like the Mariachi Trilogy commentary. For me a wannabe filmmaker I love roberts telling of the tech work.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:46 pm

Sean Of The Dead's commentary is sparkling... "Isle of Man"... funny... I'm looking for recommendations so I can "listen" to them whilst working. Alien's one is rather nice, particularly when Ridley Scott is at it and Dan O'Bannon seems to seethe about choices within the movie. Some of it is a little dry... a little too much actorly praise from the 'Weaver...

... what I love is the end where Sigourney and Ridley start discussing ideas about Alien 5 and waxing lyrical about possibility and science. Ridley and Sigourney should go back and create an Alien 5 bringing the story to its roots and wrestle the franchise back into the realms of greatness it deserves before Fox rapes it any more.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:01 pm

On the Revenge of the Sith Commentary, right around where Mace Windu is fighting with the Emporer, GL starts talking about Mace's 'purple lazer sword' - a PURPLE LAZER SWORD? Is it just me or is this very wrong?
WTF is a Purple Lazer Sword? It's like he has no respect for the very myths he himself created
Purple Lazer Sword indeed, it's a 'light sabre' George, a light sabre.... dont go raping my childhood.... any more than you already have
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Alex DeLarge on Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:57 pm

I just watched two Raging bUll commentaries, one with Scorsese and then another with La Motta, Schrader, and Marik Martin. Scorsese's was good but i didnt really liek the writers because it was almost all La Motta andI would have liked to hear more from Schrader.
some other ones I like: the El Mariachi ones, very helpful for aspiring filmmakers
Sin City- I like the frank miller and rodriguez one best but the tarantino, willis and rodriguez one was good also.
From Dusk Till Dawn- QT and Rodriguez
Shaun of the Dead
Pirates of the Carribean- I liked the writers one.
LOTR
Serenity was pretty good
Oldboy
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Alex DeLarge
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Chilli on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:04 pm

Chasing Amy was good, but needed more Lee.

Oh - and an option where you can 'MAKE AFFLECK SHUT UP' for thirty seconds... because while he's a funny guy, he does tend to force everyone save Smith to the sidelines.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby bamf on Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:15 am

Fight Club is a favorite commentary of mine, but HBC is annoying. She just drags on with no direction, talking 15 minutes about doing a american accent. Dude wheres my car? commentary is pretty funny. They were drinking beer while taping so the stories come flowing out. I forget who it was, but it went something like this.

Ashton:Dude, didnt you f that girl?
Sean: No man that wasnt me.

Sean leaves the room to pee.

Ashton:Dude, he totally did.

The worst cast commentary Ive heard besides Spiderman 1 would be the Anchorman track. Will Ferrell does not bring the funny. Just try and watch 20 minutes, go on.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby erasmus on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:41 pm

Blood Simple has a fake comentary written by the Coen brothers but spoken by some actor. Its performed in the style of the pretentious film scholar commentaries you sometimes hear on classic film dvds where the creators are either dead or unavailable. Its strange and hilarious although I don't remember if I made it through the whole thing( I don't listen to the commentary tracks like I used to before I got married, but its a small sacrifice).
erasmus
GLIB

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:14 pm

Michael Jeck's commentary on criterion's "Throne of Blood" disc is quite fascinating.

i would also like to second the nomination of the H.S. Thompson commentary on criterions fear and loathing disc. it is fucking hilarious. i watched it like three times in a row it was so funny.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby erasmus on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:00 am

I actually just saw the Throne of Blood about two weeks ago and yes the commentary was very well done. I saw Ran at about the same time but didn't get achance to listen to the commentary. I had no idea Thompson did a track for Fear and Loathing.I loved the book and I love Gilliam but the movie left me a little cold although depp was pretty amazing as I recall. I should give that one another chance
erasmus
GLIB

Postby freak2thec0re on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:53 am

I gotta say Will Ferrell and Adam Mckay's commentary on Anchorman cracked me up, having almost nothing at all to do with the movie, but just mocking the fact this was the "unrated version" of the dvd, trying to figure out exactly what that meant they could do

"so how about, how about a 'bald man . . . bald man with a beard . . . taking a shit. Can I say that on the un-rated dvd?"

"i think you just did"
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:37 am

I thought it was pretty funny... especially when Kyle Gass and co suddenly turn up for no reason.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to DVD / Blu-ray