HAN SHOOTS FIRST

Betamax and beyond

Postby sleepflower on Sun May 14, 2006 2:28 pm

I hope there is scope in the future to have more films with either 2 versions of it, or a way of choosing which deleted scenes you want adding at the beging, or just choose the priginal cut.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 17, 2006 3:17 am

My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 17, 2006 3:31 am

I can't wait to get my greedy little hands on these. I can finally have my uber mar-a-thon spanning the original trilogy, the special editions, and then the prequels.

Perhaps I will throw in the Clone Wars for good measure.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Proinsias on Wed May 17, 2006 7:15 am

http://store.yahoo.com/usacomicbooks/stwamoseicab.html

Just had to post this - I wants them!!!!!!!!!! what a perfect framing for the original trilogy when they arrive.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby austenandrews on Wed May 17, 2006 9:33 am

Anybody wanna buy the OT DVDs I bought before? It seems they're going to be redundant.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby so sorry on Wed May 17, 2006 9:55 am

Proinsias wrote:http://store.yahoo.com/usacomicbooks/stwamoseicab.html

Just had to post this - I wants them!!!!!!!!!! what a perfect framing for the original trilogy when they arrive.

that is a fucking riot!
after all the Han shoots first controversy, Lucas decides to do bookends with the ultimate Solo scene.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Devil Dodo on Wed May 17, 2006 10:13 pm

In response to: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23367 (Because I don't seem to be able to register for TalkBack... and no I did not enter an invalid email... )

[Begin rant (I'm probably going to sound like a bitch, yeah, but whatever...)]

You people do realise Lucas is just slamdunking all your whining arses, right? By releasing these OOT DVDs completely unaltered he's trying to force everyone to admit that the SE/2004 editions are superior and that he rules the world.

Now, I hate the stupid ewok falling off the wooly mammoth as much as the next guy... and don't even get me started on that bitch Christensen being in my Jedi movie. But let's face it, none of us are ever gonna get what we want. Until maybe the trilogy's 50th anniversary when we've got enough re-re-releases and enhanced editions to fill three Corellian Space Cruisers and nobody can be bothered to care anymore...

Who can really blame ol' Georgie for turning his masterpiece into a cashcow... who could honestly say they wouldn't?

Anyway, the only chance Lucas has of getting anymore of my money for this edition is if they've fixed the goddam saber FX in the 2004 editions. The only thing pussier than seeing pretty boy Ani at the end of Jedi is having to watch Darth freakin Vader with a pink lightsaber... PINK!

And, yeah, those covers are almost as bad as the 2004 ones... But, hey, at least we don't have lense flares this time! *cringe*

To be honest, I've never wanted to original original trilogy on DVD... And I'm not just saying that to jump off the bandwagon at the last minute before the whole lot of you become amazingly disappointed... I don't want them. A lot of the changes George has made have been for the better... and not just the technical upgrades. The ewok song at the end of the original Jedi was the cheesiest of the cheese... "Celebrate the love"? What the hell is that? Williams' Celebration song is much better. And the CG shots in the Death Star attack in A New Hope are fine (I just wish they'd redo that whole sequence so the miniatures don't look so outdated against the CG). Even the extra Wampa stuff is okay... It's when he goes adding shit for no reason. Jabba in ANH - no need. Quirky characters in Mos Eisley intro - No. Just no. Gungans in ROTJ - fuck the hell off. But, really, in weighing up the points, I'd much rather have a cleaned up version of the film with all this crap in, rather than the OOT. And come on, if I really had the desire to, it wouldn't be hard for me (or anyone) to put together my own version of the film (as others have proven). But in the end this is Lucas's baby and he should be able to do whatever the hell is wants with it.

[/rant]
Devil Dodo
GLIB

Postby havocSchultz on Wed May 17, 2006 10:26 pm

Devil Dodo wrote:In response to: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23367 (Because I don't seem to be able to register for TalkBack... and no I did not enter an invalid email... )

[Begin rant (I'm probably going to sound like a bitch, yeah, but whatever...)]

You people do realise Lucas is just slamdunking all your whining arses, right? By releasing these OOT DVDs completely unaltered he's trying to force everyone to admit that the SE/2004 editions are superior and that he rules the world.

Now, I hate the stupid ewok falling off the wooly mammoth as much as the next guy... and don't even get me started on that bitch Christensen being in my Jedi movie. But let's face it, none of us are ever gonna get what we want. Until maybe the trilogy's 50th anniversary when we've got enough re-re-releases and enhanced editions to fill three Corellian Space Cruisers and nobody can be bothered to care anymore...

Who can really blame ol' Georgie for turning his masterpiece into a cashcow... who could honestly say they wouldn't?

Anyway, the only chance Lucas has of getting anymore of my money for this edition is if they've fixed the goddam saber FX in the 2004 editions. The only thing pussier than seeing pretty boy Ani at the end of Jedi is having to watch Darth freakin Vader with a pink lightsaber... PINK!

And, yeah, those covers are almost as bad as the 2004 ones... But, hey, at least we don't have lense flares this time! *cringe*

To be honest, I've never wanted to original original trilogy on DVD... And I'm not just saying that to jump off the bandwagon at the last minute before the whole lot of you become amazingly disappointed... I don't want them. A lot of the changes George has made have been for the better... and not just the technical upgrades. The ewok song at the end of the original Jedi was the cheesiest of the cheese... "Celebrate the love"? What the hell is that? Williams' Celebration song is much better. And the CG shots in the Death Star attack in A New Hope are fine (I just wish they'd redo that whole sequence so the miniatures don't look so outdated against the CG). Even the extra Wampa stuff is okay... It's when he goes adding shit for no reason. Jabba in ANH - no need. Quirky characters in Mos Eisley intro - No. Just no. Gungans in ROTJ - fuck the hell off. But, really, in weighing up the points, I'd much rather have a cleaned up version of the film with all this crap in, rather than the OOT. And come on, if I really had the desire to, it wouldn't be hard for me (or anyone) to put together my own version of the film (as others have proven). But in the end this is Lucas's baby and he should be able to do whatever the hell is wants with it.

[/rant]

too soon...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby sleepflower on Wed May 17, 2006 11:03 pm

I would have preferred something more retro, maybe even a complete copy of the original posters or the cover from the first VHS release.

I didn't realise both versions were in the package, makes it a bit more worthwhile.

Why would you want the full screen version?
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby sleepflower on Wed May 17, 2006 11:22 pm

Only just seen this. Effing Genius. Could not stop laughing.

http://www.starwars.com/gaming/videogames/news/leg o2trailer.html
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Proinsias on Thu May 18, 2006 3:39 am

Bollocks to that. Whats next? 'G-Get ready for some craaaazy fun!!! - Shot of Boba Fett falling on his arse to 'boioioing' sound - Starwars Aalderanimaniacs!...all voices by Rob Schnieder...rated PG13'... :(
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby sleepflower on Thu May 18, 2006 3:43 am

Proinsias wrote:Bollocks to that. Whats next? 'G-Get ready for some craaaazy fun!!! - Shot of Boba Fett falling on his arse to 'boioioing' sound - Starwars Aalderanimaniacs!...all voices by Rob Schnieder...rated PG13'... :(

Stop taking life so serious. Spoil sport :P
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Fri May 19, 2006 6:56 pm

So, for those who don't know...these discs will be non-anamorphic and it's becoming increasingly clear that they are simply ports of the laserdisc transfers.

www.thedigitalbits.com has the whole story, but, um, yeah, I was excited to buy these and, now, I'm telling people not to buy them. Of course, a lack of interest will indicate to Lucas that people don't WANT the unaltered films...you can't fucking win with El Flannello.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 21, 2006 3:27 am

So the rumor mill is brewing with reports that the upcoming DVD release will be created from the 1993 laserdisc transfer and it will be non-anamorphic. So the picture quality will basically suck, by all accounts.

I saw Rick McCallum earlier today at Star Wars Weekends and I had an opportunity to ask him a question. I was going to ask him about why these movies aren't getting the best presentation possible on DVD, classics that they are. Unfortunately, I was told he would not answer any questions regarding the fourth Indy film or the upcoming Star Wars DVD release in the fall.

Gee, I wonder why?

My enthusiasm over this DVD release has pretty much waned. I'm definitely taking a wait-and-see stance with this one.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 22, 2006 12:48 am

BTW, if anyone cares to voice a concern to Lucasfilm about the upcoming DVD release, apparently they set up a special e-mail address for just that reason:

publicity@lucasfilm.com

It probably automatically filters into the deleted folder, but what the hey.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Theta on Mon May 22, 2006 7:39 pm

Might as well filter to the deleted folder; that address goes to the PR flacks, and they just follow orders. Hopefully, the tidal wave of bile seeps into the mainstream media. Wouldn't it be great to have a short, hostile blurb in a bunch of magazines about this?
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Tue May 23, 2006 5:43 pm

From Video Business Online:

[quote]Lucasfilm: Original Star Wars 'bonus'
Fans protest release of laserdisc prints on DVD
By Susanne Ault 5/23/2006

MAY 23 | In the wake of extreme fan protests, Lucasfilm is positioning its release of the original ’70s theatrical versions of the first three Star Wars movies as bonus features.

As groused about on various DVD enthusiast Web sites, including www.thedigitalbits.com and www.hometheaterforum.com, Lucasfilm confirmed the studio is not remastering these early films. The prints for the Sept. 12 DVDs of Star Wars: Episode IV—A New Hope, Star Wars: Episode V—The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Episode VI—Return of the Jedi come from laserdiscs of the films released in the mid ’90s. This means that Episodes IV-V1 will bow in their original film composition, not in the more cinematic anamorphic widescreen transfer.

Lucasfilm acknowledges that some imperfections are embedded in the prints, but director of publicity John Singh said the company felt there was little need to invest resources into sprucing up films that have already been restored to pristine form.

Special edition versions of the films with additions made by George Lucas were released in theaters in the ’90s and on DVD in 2004.

“We put a lot of time and effort into digitally restoring the negatives for the 2004 DVD releases,â€
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

George Lucas is a big smelly cockwank.

There I've said it. He'd make MORE money doing it the other way, seeing as he's all about the case. Unless the costs of the remaster to anamorphic don't balance out, but I can' t understand why that'd be the case.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue May 23, 2006 5:57 pm

Do that many people own a Laserdisc copy? The only Laserdisc ethusiast I know got rid of all his kit a year ago.

The originals are getting released after people whining. Now that's not good enough.

Seems like a minority just making a fuss. Damn minorities!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue May 23, 2006 6:04 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Do that many people own a Laserdisc copy? The only Laserdisc ethusiast I know got rid of all his kit a year ago.

The originals are getting released after people whining. Now that's not good enough.

I agree. I realize people want Anamorphic but I seriously doubt this set is going to sell to more then 5% of the buying public who already bought the versions from 2004 thus I don't think it was worth the cost to them.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Tue May 23, 2006 6:51 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Do that many people own a Laserdisc copy? The only Laserdisc ethusiast I know got rid of all his kit a year ago.

I agree. I realize people want Anamorphic but I seriously doubt this set is going to sell to more then 5% of the buying public who already bought the versions from 2004 thus I don't think it was worth the cost to them.

First of all, anamorphic is simply standard at this point, and frankly, making a decent new anamorphic transfer would have been cheap and easy. There are plenty of pristine release prints available, at the very least. I would love an absolutely perfect transfer with a pristine negative, but I will take what I can get as long as it's not a fucking laserdisc.

And, actually, the "Star Wars" DVD set probably didn't sell up to expectations. I will concede I have no PROOF of this (and I'm certainly not claiming the set didn't sell well) except for the behavior of Lucasfilm, retailers and Fox. However, they are acting EXACTLY like this is what happened (the repackaging without the bonus disc, the heavy pimping of the full set six months after release, etc., which indicates to me Fox and the retailers had a lot of discs on their hands they couldn't contractually send back to the distributor or destroy.)

Also, that "new" cover art is suspiciously close to the cover art on the set. It's not precisely the same but does incorporate the same elements.

The big clue will be when these are released. If the menus, transfers, and art on the disc are the same then BINGO! Fox had too many of these left over and they have to get rid of them.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 24, 2006 2:38 pm

From what I hear, the altered versions are the exact same discs from the '04 and '05 releases, just repackaged with the unaltered versions.

I received a response from Lucasfilm. Here is what they said:

[quote]Dear Michael:

I wanted you to know how much we appreciate the passion and enthusiasm you have for Star Wars, and thank you for sharing your concerns about our upcoming DVD release.

The DVDs being released in September will contain two versions of Star Wars: Episodes IV, V and VI – the Special Editions (which represent George’s vision of the movies) and the first versions, which will be included as bonus material. We hoped that releasing those “originalâ€
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby raasnio on Wed May 24, 2006 6:13 pm

It's sad, really.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Theta on Wed May 24, 2006 7:30 pm

So, basically, we get the unaltered versions when Lucas chokes on his throat pouch and lawyers take over Lucasfilm.

So that's, what, five years? I can wait five years.

I'll just say this once: if Lucas wants to shut everyone up, do this right AND not have to lift a finger...give the rights to the unaltered OT to Criterion.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed May 24, 2006 11:08 pm

Please people would still bitch no matter how it was released.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby raasnio on Thu May 25, 2006 12:36 am

It's too bad that Lucas won't just cancel the release. People will whine no matter what he does. Maybe they should just drop it and move on...

I'm happy. I have the Special Edition box set.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fievel on Thu May 25, 2006 12:38 am

We want you to be aware that we have no plans – now or in the future – to restore the earlier versions.

Sounds like the exact same thing they said about just simply RELEASING the original versions.

Lies.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 25, 2006 2:33 am

I don't know where the complaints would appear if these movies were getting good treatment on DVD. Do some people here really have such a low opinion of people who love the original movies that they think we'll never be satisfied? A nice clean print and an anamorphic transfer would have satisfied me and many others. We're getting an unrestored laserdisc master plopped onto a DVD. There are better versions of these movies on eBay for chrissakes. That's what is so disappointing. Lucas can't even be bothered to make a good product. He's gotta stick it to the fans one last time in order to push his vision further. Whatever. I have completely lost all respect for him.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Coldfire24 on Thu May 25, 2006 2:34 am

I think they would be better...................with a stripper..
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu May 25, 2006 2:43 am

Hows about a new york stripper?

Please, God. Let him get tired of this gag.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu May 25, 2006 3:10 am

thomasgaffney wrote:You whiney-ass bitches. The lot of you (except for Coldfire. Every thread could use some strippers).

This isn't build-your-own-DVD where you can pick or choose what you want to see. It's a simple choise between two options. You either BUY the OT on DVD in September as they release it, or you DON'T BUY the OT on DVD in September as they release it. Period.

Me, I will choose to buy them.

I will also be purchasing the OT DVDs.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 25, 2006 3:43 am

So am I to understand that some of you don't care in what condition films are transferred to DVD, just as long as they're there? Sorry, but I tend to be a bit more discriminating, especially when it comes to films I dearly love.

Believe me, this would be so much easier if I didn't care.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 25, 2006 4:02 am

Well, I'm sorry my feelings on the subject are causing you so much heartache. I guess I'll go lash myself in the corner now.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu May 25, 2006 9:51 am

RogueScribner wrote:So am I to understand that some of you don't care in what condition films are transferred to DVD, just as long as they're there? Sorry, but I tend to be a bit more discriminating, especially when it comes to films I dearly love.

Believe me, this would be so much easier if I didn't care.

An anamorphic transfer would matter to me if I had an 16X9 tv...I don't and since I have to watch something letterboxed on a standard TV anamorphic is of no use. By the time I get an HDtv the OT will again be released in some HD dvd format by which time they will probably do another clean up job thus why I don't care. Plus you are acting like the LD transfers are just shit...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby raasnio on Thu May 25, 2006 11:06 am

thomasgaffney wrote:
It makes me take Lucas's side in this whole matter and say that maybe the SE's should be the only version available to the public.....

I've always taken his side. These are his films and if I were in his shoes I wouldn't spend all of that time and money cleaning up old versions of films that I already updated to my satisfaction years ago, either.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby StarWarsRedux on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:40 pm

Theta wrote:I'll just say this once: if Lucas wants to shut everyone up, do this right AND not have to lift a finger...give the rights to the unaltered OT to Criterion.

Considering that Criterion is commited to releasing films in states that their makers approve of, the OOT would still only amount to a bonus feature to them, much like the alternate edits included in their releases of Brazil, Fanny and Alexander, The Leopard and so on.
StarWarsRedux
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby JackieEstacado on Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:59 pm

MF.com just posted some sample videos from the Original Unaltered Trilogy Bonus Discs. The sample videos include the original opening crawl, Han Solo shooting first, the original Emperor, and Sebastian Shaw with the Yub Yub song.

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7106
JackieEstacado
GLIB

Postby Brit Pop on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:23 pm

All you would have to do (IMO) to create the perfect Star Wars 6 film box set would be...

1) Han shoots first.

2) Sarlacc Pit doesn't have a beak.

3) ANH Jabba removed.

4) Luke doesn't scream on thw way down.

5) Keep the new and improved effects.

6) Put Lapni Nek back in.

7) Cryogenically freeze George Lucas for 70 years so he cannot tamper with anything else in our lifetimes... well, maybe only 40 years in my case!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:25 pm

2) Sarlacc Pit doesn't have a beak.

Boo hiss, I like it........its just a big spiny twat otherwise
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brit Pop on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:39 pm

I'll compromise... but they gotta make the beak look less like a muppet or Homer's stubble region.

We got white sarlacc, black sarlacc, red sarlacc, yellow sarlacc... we got snapping sarlacc, we got ssmmeeelllyyyyy sarlacc.

If you can find sarlacc cheaper anywhere... FUCK IT!!!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:45 pm

Meh! Never seen the Special eds. so Im luck never to have witnessed Han shooting second...thank god
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:27 pm

papalazeru wrote:Meh! Never seen the Special eds. so Im luck never to have witnessed Han shooting second...thank god

Now it's more like simultaneously then second but it still sucks.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby You Know My Name on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:28 pm

I'm a huge SW fan but I never bought the 2004 DVDs. So I might pick up the new ones.
MAY THE FARCE BE WITH YOU.
You Know My Name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:51 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Please people would still bitch no matter how it was released.

Yup. I agree with this. By the time the next phase of 28.1 Surround comes out, people will complain the originals weren't remastered that way either...

No one has a gun to anyone's head to buy shiite.

Cry babies.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby moose4787 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:55 pm

HUZZA! I just got back from Best Buy, not only did I get the originals but a collectable tin. The movie looks just like I rember from when I was 5 years old. The best part was when the beging credits ran you see Star Wars... No episode IV a New Hope. HUZZA!
Xbox live profile: Moose4787
moose4787
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby monorail77 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:06 pm

moose4787 wrote:HUZZA! I just got back from Best Buy, not only did I get the originals but a collectable tin. The movie looks just like I rember from when I was 5 years old. The best part was when the beging credits ran you see Star Wars... No episode IV a New Hope. HUZZA!

Bastard!! I hate you!! Damn your lucky eyes!

I'm waffling, but I'm still on the side that says I can't allow myself to buy these. I bought the 2004 discs and, unless these sets are real real cheap, which they're not, I'm going to have to gibve them a pass. I also bought the VHS OT and the VHS OTSE. This set is just one too many, I'm afraid.

Well, maybe just Star Wars. I'm still waffling...
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:29 pm

and now there's another box set coming this next year, but I fear if one wants the un-fuckered with versions you gotta grab these.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby monorail77 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:30 pm

I fear you may be right.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:31 pm

fear leads to hate
hate leads to anger
anger leads to suffering

...Too soon?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:03 pm

King Psyz wrote:fear leads to hate