HAN SHOOTS FIRST

Betamax and beyond

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu May 04, 2006 2:08 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:I dunno....I suspect I'll end up buying it (what with mind-tricks working on the weak, of which I am one)...but it genuinely feels like a bit of me dies each time Lucas does this.

I rate George Lucas....I think the good he contributes far outweighs the bad....I mean...I've never seen or heard him say that he thinks he's a great director for example.

But in the last 5-6 years he does seem to have made a habit of saying he's not going to do something - then far too soon after does a complete U-turn. What happened to the "Now I've done all 6 I can concentrate on smaller projects". It turned into 100 episodes confirmed for Star Wars TV Series is what.

I just want to respect the man today for more than his actions of yesterday, if that makes any kind of sense?

Like I said in my 'Strange Case of George Lucas' thread I think the 'Star Wars' project both made and broke him at the same time as a director. It became the Monster to his Dr Frankenstein. His albatross. A mutual symbiotic dependency.
Will he ever escape it's overwhelming hold on him?
Who knows?
But why should he care anyhow?
When he's still got millions of people spending their money on his 'latest' piece of 'Star Wars' franchise - the 'latest', that is, until the next 'latest' comes along, then the one after that and the one after that and the....................

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, I don't know.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu May 04, 2006 2:12 pm

King Psyz wrote:the only way I'd want to see episodes 7-9 at this point is if he handed off writing duties to some of the EU writers who have helped shaped the time frame after ROTJ. Mostly because those who are even remotely interested in the EU know the basics, Vader has a clone that's "activated", Luke retarts the Jedi order, Han and Leia have kids and they're powerfull Jedis, Chewy gets killed, ect.

The other thing he needs to do is hand them off to other directors ala ESB, as it's largely considered the best of the films for a reason...

Yup. And not just any old director either - Irwin Kerschner was not a Blockbuster Director - his films were based on character, emotion and so forth.

Bad example perhaps, but I'm rushing to get out.....he's more Glick than Bay if you like. Given how Lucas likes these films shot nowadays you don't need a Michael Bay....the big stunts and visuals are going to be the domain of the FX guys....what it needs is character, humanity and depth o its principals. And for this to be contained in a line as short as "I Know" rather than a 5 minute frolic across a meadow.....

Y'know...with regards to the writing Lucas should follow his own blueprint from the OT for other departments...he should turn to the new generation of kids from Uni...not wisened old hands. I think he does mostly still do this - just the departments of Directing and Writing that he doesn't. Stand aside George, but we still love you for the legacy you are passing on to others.....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu May 04, 2006 2:13 pm

sleepflower wrote:Considering I do not own them yet, the leap to BLU Ray is a good enough one to wait for. And as for looking longingly in 12 months, I would already own them if that were the case.

Oh just thought of a thread....

Hmm. The Force is strong in this one......

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sleepflower on Thu May 04, 2006 2:13 pm

Considering I do not own them yet, the leap to BLU Ray is a good enough one to wait for. And as for looking longingly in 12 months, I would already own them if that were the case.

Oh just thought of a thread....
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Thu May 04, 2006 2:25 pm

i know of one person in Hollywood who is hoping beyond hope episodes 7-9 are made.............................................. ...

Mark Hamill :P

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Thu May 04, 2006 2:27 pm

and then, if they bring back Carrie Fisher and dress her in that gold bikini thing, the way she looks now, they could promote the films as sci-fi/horror.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu May 04, 2006 2:54 pm

Peven wrote:and then, if they bring back Carrie Fisher and dress her in that gold bikini thing, the way she looks now, they could promote the films as sci-fi/horror.

HAHAHAHA! Hiya Peven old buddy - good to see you cracking them dry as ever :D

I watched that show where Lucas gets the Lifetime Contribution award - which had two distinctly scary moments. One was finally seeing the new look Peter Jackson (I mean I'd heard, but wow. I mean WOW). The other was Carrie Fisher's 5 minutes on the rostrum. She's in a bad way again I think, judging from that - is she still wrestling booze demons do you know? I thought she went clean around the time Postcards got filmed - I thought that film gave her the catharsis she was after? Looks like it didn't last.....shame.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu May 04, 2006 2:56 pm

Too Funny! And you know Duchovny is already calling his agent....hoping, hoping, hoping....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Thu May 04, 2006 3:00 pm

Peven wrote:and then, if they bring back Carrie Fisher and dress her in that gold bikini thing, the way she looks now, they could promote the films as sci-fi/horror.

The way she looks now, you could chain the 1983 Leia to her dais, and she could chortle and eat a frog, while David Duchovny scampered around cackling.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu May 04, 2006 3:16 pm

Whatever happened to "All the original prints broke down/deteriorated/got destroyed so go away" speech that Lucasfilm used to go for?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu May 04, 2006 3:25 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Whatever happened to "All the original prints broke down/deteriorated/got destroyed so go away" speech that Lucasfilm used to go for?

It'll be available this Xmas as part of a limited edition "Lies I have told" box set, digitally remastered, THX optimized, with new Deleted Lies added.....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu May 04, 2006 3:41 pm

Deleted lies? Please tell me Episodes 1-3 will become deleted lies.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Peven on Thu May 04, 2006 3:42 pm

wait 20 yrs and we'll get a Star Wars "reboot", from one of Spielberg's kids.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu May 04, 2006 3:43 pm

Eh, why not. 4
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Peven on Thu May 04, 2006 3:45 pm

honestly, as a kid who was 10 when the first one hit theatres in '77, i was always more interested in seeing episodes 7-9 after seeing 4-6.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu May 04, 2006 4:21 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
You Know My Name wrote:Next big Star Wars news: Episodes VII-IX will in fact be made!

Oh for fucks sake (diminishing footsteps, door slams)

I doubt that will happen. In a way I think he only made the new ones to finance some future technology push he wants to make like 3D or god knows what and to begrudgingly statisfy his nut job fan base. He is old and probably sick of Star Wars by now.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Thu May 04, 2006 4:26 pm

anyone else see THIS?!

something else im going to have to buy..... and then heinously desecrate!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu May 04, 2006 4:36 pm

He was already a figure....maybe even twice by now. One was called something sacul ie Lucas backwards and I think was a rebel pilot...If they made a figure of him from Ep3 when he was an extra that would make two.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Thu May 04, 2006 5:10 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:
You Know My Name wrote:Next big Star Wars news: Episodes VII-IX will in fact be made!

Oh for fucks sake (diminishing footsteps, door slams)

I doubt that will happen. In a way I think he only made the new ones to finance some future technology push he wants to make like 3D or god knows what and to begrudgingly statisfy his nut job fan base. He is old and probably sick of Star Wars by now.

yeah, so sick that he is still milking the fucking thing with THREE-DEE, the release of the un-touched originals, 100 eps of a live show, a cartoon, and video games out the ass.

Now, before you start making a fuss, I know he may not be directly hands on with this stuff, but I am willing to bet he at least oversees the product creation, and is walking around with his stupid little stamps.

Like I said before, I wish he would leave SW alone, and run along and ruin Indiana Jones for a while.

/GL has fucking OCD man.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu May 04, 2006 5:26 pm

HA HA! See? I knew it would happen eventually!

And, yes, you know I'm a sucker for the quadruple dip.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu May 04, 2006 5:34 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:HA HA! See? I knew it would happen eventually!

It's only my first double dip. I am usually more sound of mind.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby austenandrews on Thu May 04, 2006 5:57 pm

I've double-dipped a couple of times (Aliens/Quad, ROTK/EE) but I don't particularly care to with the updated OT. However, if I hadn't already bought them, I'd be glad that it's all in one package. So I can't rightly complain.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 04, 2006 6:15 pm

I refrained from purchasing the DVDs two years ago, so I guess I can finally break down and own this trilogy . . . before it's gone forever!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu May 04, 2006 9:16 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I refrained from purchasing the DVDs two years ago, so I guess I can finally break down and own this trilogy . . . before it's gone forever!

Is it going in the Disney Vault?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Thu May 04, 2006 10:22 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:HA HA! See? I knew it would happen eventually!

It's only my first double dip. I am usually more sound of mind.

Same. This purchase will be my first.
I have not purchase ANY of the Harry Potter films yet. I'm happy to wait for all 7 to come out in a box set. As I did with LOTR and the Alien trilogy. I have an obscene amount of patience.... but not when it comes to Star Wars. It's my Achilles heal.

I don't think recieving a DVD [as a gift] you already own is considered double dipping, is it?
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu May 04, 2006 10:30 pm

Definitely not...only whe you purchase it is it double dipping.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Fri May 05, 2006 1:31 am

I wised-up to Lucas's game a long time ago (remember the "box-set" of Episodes I & II? WTF!? WTF, I ask you!), and declared that I wouldn't give him any more of my money until a super-duper, mega-geeky, ultra box-set was released.

Of course, knowing Lucas, he'll probably do complete 180 on this complete 180 and once again declare that the un-doucheified versions will never be released in a complete box-set.

I dunno, I might cave and pick these up just to make sure I have them on something besides VHS, which are PAN N SCAN, no less! (Hey, I was young and ignorant! Gimme a break!)

Honestly, I could go without ever seeing the PT ever again. But the (stupid) collector in me wants to have them all in a mega box-set.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby RogueScribner on Fri May 05, 2006 3:01 am

I'm positive there will be a 30th anniversary box set with all the films and maybe some new extras. What I am not postive on is whether the O-OT will be included in that set. I'm inclined to think yes, but I'll be picking up this new DVD release in the fall just in case.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby wonkabar on Fri May 05, 2006 3:05 am

Brocktune wrote:anyone else see THIS?!

something else im going to have to buy..... and then heinously desecrate!

O-M-G
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 05, 2006 6:49 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
King Psyz wrote:the only way I'd want to see episodes 7-9 at this point is if he handed off writing duties to some of the EU writers who have helped shaped the time frame after ROTJ. Mostly because those who are even remotely interested in the EU know the basics, Vader has a clone that's "activated", Luke retarts the Jedi order, Han and Leia have kids and they're powerfull Jedis, Chewy gets killed, ect.

The other thing he needs to do is hand them off to other directors ala ESB, as it's largely considered the best of the films for a reason...

Yup. And not just any old director either - Irwin Kerschner was not a Blockbuster Director - his films were based on character, emotion and so forth.

Bad example perhaps, but I'm rushing to get out.....he's more Glick than Bay if you like. Given how Lucas likes these films shot nowadays you don't need a Michael Bay....the big stunts and visuals are going to be the domain of the FX guys....what it needs is character, humanity and depth o its principals. And for this to be contained in a line as short as "I Know" rather than a 5 minute frolic across a meadow.....

Y'know...with regards to the writing Lucas should follow his own blueprint from the OT for other departments...he should turn to the new generation of kids from Uni...not wisened old hands. I think he does mostly still do this - just the departments of Directing and Writing that he doesn't. Stand aside George, but we still love you for the legacy you are passing on to others.....

I would like to see Genndy Tartakovsky direct at least one live action SW movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby wonkabar on Fri May 05, 2006 7:03 pm

TheButcher wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:

I would like to see Genndy Tartakovsky direct at least one live action SW movie.

Chewie gets killed?!?!? I know longer have the will to live! WHERE'S MY KAYAK!?!! WHERE'S MY KAYAK!?!! WHERE'S MY KAYAK!?!!
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri May 05, 2006 9:27 pm

I think 7-9 would suffer greatly by having nothing to do with Anakin/Vader.....That works for the comics and books and games but I don't think the EU should bleed into film.

Oh and because someone brought up that supershadow guy....Is he actually a nut or is his stuff supposed to somehow be funny?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri May 05, 2006 9:30 pm

whoops...spoilers
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby buster00 on Sat May 06, 2006 4:08 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:I refrained from purchasing the DVDs two years ago, so I guess I can finally break down and own this trilogy . . . before it's gone forever!

I refrained from watching "SNL" on a regular basis a long time ago...that link was HYSTERICAL!! Thanks, Kaga!

As for the Star Wars DVD news, what can I tell ya...

This is why I haven't bought the DVDs yet.

I hope someday I get a chance to play poker with George Lucas. I'll take ALL that muthafucka's money!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby freak2thec0re on Sat May 06, 2006 9:20 am

so wait, who shot first?
"Serves you right, Cartman, you're a sell-out!"
"I'M NOT A SELL-OUT! Wait- What's a sell-out?"
"Anyone in the entertainment business who makes money, is a sell-out"
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Theta on Sat May 06, 2006 10:00 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:

What's sad is that there IS a Disney vault, crammed full to the brim with film history...and Disney has a complete stranglehold on it. The archivist will literally not give you all the information related to a topic...only the info that makes the company and Fearless Leader look good.

But they have ALL of it, anything done on Disney property. Even the pornographic sketches of the Seven Dwarves banging Snow White from the '30s, apparently.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby JackieEstacado on Mon May 08, 2006 2:58 am

One of MF.com's sources "DarthFirst" just made a few comments on darthpsychotic's MillenniumFalcon.com boards:

"Word from my reliable source is that that's simply *not* true.
They're not using the 93 master - there is restoration happening to bring the original theatrical versions up to a level of quality that is expected from Lucasfilm release"
JackieEstacado
GLIB

Postby Proinsias on Sun May 14, 2006 6:53 am

http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/12553/Uncovered_Star_Wars_A_New_Hope_footage_Biggs_Return

Did a search and can't find this posted anywhere else. A very long uncut scene from A New Hope...with Biggs! (and a lovely new Tatooine lady)

It is a little long but i think a trimmed version inserted into the special edition would've strengthened the later meeting between Luke and Biggs, and his death..Still facinating though...
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby colonel_lugz on Sun May 14, 2006 6:57 am

Wow!, where the hell did that come from!!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Proinsias on Sun May 14, 2006 7:05 am

Does'nt say anywhere as yet. Maybe it's only just been found, never heard of it before. If it was around, why put Luke and Biggs' later meeting in and not, at least, a bit of this one?...i dunno, got the Mysteron lights floating round this one..
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby colonel_lugz on Sun May 14, 2006 9:31 am

Why the fuck is no-one commenting on this link?!?

Has everyone apart from me and Proinsias seen it before or something?

C'MON!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun May 14, 2006 9:55 am

Why is Luke wearing that stupid dodgy old man's beach hat for? HAHAHAA!! He looks so crap!! Maybe that was the reason it was cut.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun May 14, 2006 10:00 am

Proinsias wrote:http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/12553/Uncovered_Star_Wars_A_New_Hope_footage_Biggs_Return

Did a search and can't find this posted anywhere else. A very long uncut scene from A New Hope...with Biggs! (and a lovely new Tatooine lady)

It is a little long but i think a trimmed version inserted into the special edition would've strengthened the later meeting between Luke and Biggs, and his death..Still facinating though...

HOLY BANTHA SPIT!!! That's great! I suppose this will be reinserted
into the ULTIMATE EDITION along with the heavily edited TPM and
AOTC and the... wait for it, Kirk... EXTENDED ROTS SPACE BATTLE...

Search your feelings, you knoooooow it to be true!

2007 is going to be a great year for STAR WARS fans what with the
30 year anniversay and all sorts of new ways for us to hemorrage
money into Lucas' coffers...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 14, 2006 10:15 am

colonel_lugz wrote:

Why the fuck is no-one commenting on this link?!?

Has everyone apart from me and Proinsias seen it before or something?

C'MON!

Fucking great. Actually fleshes out the severity of the situation people under the Empire find themselves in, even humanises the Empire in some way. Adds to the trilogy rather than takes away. As someone who commented at the bottom of the link, this was taken out and Han's scene put in? Wtf!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun May 14, 2006 10:22 am

sonnyboo wrote:
Proinsias wrote:http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/12553/Uncovered_Star_Wars_A_New_Hope_footage_Biggs_Return

This came from the Star Wars CD-Rom set called "Behind the Magic" released over 10 years ago officially by Lucasfilm. I've seen it used as faux "extras" on bootlegs myself.

Really? That sucks... I thought this was some new big deal...

Still, I never saw it before and its a cool scene. Weird that it wasn't
put back into the SE? Maybe because the first part with the droid
fixing the moisture evaporators is unfinished?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby sonnyboo on Sun May 14, 2006 10:28 am

This came from the Star Wars CD-Rom set called "Behind the Magic" released over 10 years ago officially by Lucasfilm. I've seen it used as faux "extras" on bootlegs myself.

Proinsias wrote:If it was around, why put Luke and Biggs' later meeting in and not, at least, a bit of this one?

One thing George Lucas never has touched with deleted scens is the first reel (20 minutes) of A New Hope. He always felt that was a close to perfection as he could make it. The rythm to the scenes and going from Princess Leia to R2D2 and C3PO to Luke to Ben was a better transition than the bumpy, cutting back & forth to Luke onthe ground. It makes no sense since we don't know who he is ore what he's doing, plus there's no place to cut to these scenes while we're dealing with everything on the Tantive IV.

What I don't understand is why these scenes have never been put on DVD as extras. I thought the 2nd BIGGS scene here where he explains what he's going to do was one of the best examples of showing subtly how people view the Empire. It's like people talking anti war today...
Last edited by sonnyboo on Sun May 14, 2006 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 14, 2006 11:02 am

Nice dial from Lucas. Makes you wonder what happened.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun May 14, 2006 11:10 am

It's quite a nice scene in that it shows Luke's greater relationship with Biggs and it makes Biggs look more than a casual mate who (SPOILER) gets blown up rather easily (though it renders Luke's reaction to his (SPOILER) death that less well delivered.

Luke's depression at not making it to the academy is deepened too and the whole thing overral gets you more involved emotionally.

The fucker's far too long though and should never be in the film. Over 5 minutes long? It ruins the rest of it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun May 14, 2006 12:25 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:It's quite a nice scene in that it shows Luke's greater relationship with Biggs and it makes Biggs look more than a casual mate who (SPOILER) gets blown up rather easily (though it renders Luke's reaction to his (SPOILER) death that less well delivered.

Luke's depression at not making it to the academy is deepened too and the whole thing overral gets you more involved emotionally.

The fucker's far too long though and should never be in the film. Over 5 minutes long? It ruins the rest of it.

I agree. Its a cool scene, but it would fuck up the flow. It should
definately be included as a deleted scene, though. Prolly on the
oft-rumored, slowly becoming reality, more or less inevitable
ULTIMATE EDITION... (or, at the very least, the unaltered re-re-re-release
of the OT in September...)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Proinsias on Sun May 14, 2006 12:40 pm

sonnyboo wrote:

Proinsias wrote:If it was around, why put Luke and Biggs' later meeting in and not, at least, a bit of this one?

One thing George Lucas never has touched with deleted scens is the first reel (20 minutes) of A New Hope. He always felt that was a close to perfection as he could make it. The rythm to the scenes and going from Princess Leia to R2D2 and C3PO to Luke to Ben was a better transition than the bumpy, cutting back & forth to Luke onthe ground. It makes no sense since we don't know who he is ore what he's doing, plus there's no place to cut to these scenes while we're dealing with everything on the Tantive IV.

What I don't understand is why these scenes have never been put on DVD as extras. I thought the 2nd BIGGS scene here where he explains what he's going to do was one of the best examples of showing subtly how people view the Empire. It's like people talking anti war today...

I agree that it would mess up the flow of what i also agree is a near perfect opening. Thats why i thought about its place in the special edition, all of which have bits i'd rather see left out completley.

example - when Lando, Liea and chewie are legging it through cloud city to save han from boba fett. The original was one complete scene taking place in those labrynthian white corridors with one little break away to Vader leaving. Special edition - "That scene is too frantic lets break it up evenly with Darth going ' Come on lads, lets fuck off in my shiney new Space ship " So we get the rebels running past beautiful open vistas evenly paced with shots of Shuttle Tiderius because you only ever saw it in jedi blah blah. A tight desperate scene is fucked...hmm.

Best left out. But excellent deleted scene.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray