W0W!1! SCIENC3!1! Blu-Ray FTW!

Betamax and beyond

How will you be watching movies in the future?

DVD?
11%
HD-DVD?
13%
Blu-Ray?
51%
EVD?
1%
Holographic Optical Recording Technology?
4%
OLDSCHOOL BABY! Betamax/VHS?
3%
Projected onto your eyelids by your new 3D magic-movie eye?
3%
In the gorram CINEMA, all this tech costs tooo much........
15%

Total votes : 75

Re: W0W!1! SCIENC3!1! Blu-Ray FTW!

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:06 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Future Shop aka Best Buy lackeys aka SELL OUTS!!!!

Dude cables at Future Shop run up to a hundred bucks, before tax! :shock:

I don't know if they still do, these days. Maybe some brands. But I found a 6' HDMI at futureshop.ca for $29.99 CAD, and that seemed to be the only one they sold. Online anyway.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:31 pm

Glad to help. My buddy's been using a few of those cheaper $10-15 cables from Newegg with no issues.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Yeah, I saw an exposé on expensive cables from the big box stores once. If you hook them up to equipment which measures the quality of the information travelling through them, they're exactly the same as cheaper ones.

And lookit that. The segment I was thinking of is online...

CBC's MARKETPLACE wrote:Packing the Deal
Is an expensive HDTV cable really better than a cheap one?

(Click here to watch the video)

Originally broadcast Feb. 20, 2008 — Now that high-definition TVs are really coming down in price, competition among electronics retailers is heating up. Stores no longer enjoy the huge margins they did back in the days of $50,000 plasma screens. Big TVs are not sources of big profits.

Making up some of the difference is the art of "packing the deal." In short, this means adding high-profit extras on to the core purchase. It can mean extended warranties, or home installation, or service calls. Or it can mean expensive accessories such as cables.

In this report, Erica Johnson takes a close look at the HDMI cable. This is the all-in-one cord that carries both sound and video into your HDTV, and you'll need one to get the best picture from your new setup. The most expensive model we found in-store was a Monster cable costing upwards of $250. We found a generic one online for just $12, including shipping. The test? To see whether the extra money was worth it.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fievel on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:32 pm

NICE REPORT!!!!!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:06 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:I see. Thanks, Bax. Right now all I have is the standard AV (red-white-yellow) cable for my Blu-ray player, so all discs are 480i anyway.

Why aren't you using an HDMI cable? Otherwise you BD player is pretty much completely pointless. No digital signal = sizeable difference in both audio and video.

Component cables can transmit an analog 1080/720 signal. My former 30" only did HD 1080i from Component or DVI, but the it clearly read the component from HD-DVD and BLU RAY as 1080 (a graphic comes on the screen to tell you what the source was between 480 and 1080).
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:34 pm

sonnyboo wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:I see. Thanks, Bax. Right now all I have is the standard AV (red-white-yellow) cable for my Blu-ray player, so all discs are 480i anyway.

Why aren't you using an HDMI cable? Otherwise you BD player is pretty much completely pointless. No digital signal = sizeable difference in both audio and video.

Component cables can transmit an analog 1080/720 signal. My former 30" only did HD 1080i from Component or DVI, but the it clearly read the component from HD-DVD and BLU RAY as 1080 (a graphic comes on the screen to tell you what the source was between 480 and 1080).

The image downgrades as it converts to analog. This may or may not be noticeable but it isn't much better than just a standard dvd player defeating the purpose of a native 1080 digital output is all I meant.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:40 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
sonnyboo wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

The image downgrades as it converts to analog. This may or may not be noticeable but it isn't much better than just a standard dvd player defeating the purpose of a native 1080 digital output is all I meant.

That was not true. This was a substantially more clear image, and the actual resolution was 1080i from analog component cables. Look up the specs, but you can have a true HIGH DEFINITION analog signal via component (red, green, blue) cables. It most definitely was higher resolution than component from a standard definition DVD (as I had both types side by side in the 2 component channels).
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby tapehead on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:51 pm

Sonny's right - it's much better than standard dvd, and it can be fairly accurate 1080i, despite the D to A conversion. I've never seen an analogue system that supports 1080p though.

YPbPr colour space for the tech heads.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:14 am

sonnyboo wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
sonnyboo wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

That was not true. This was a substantially more clear image, and the actual resolution was 1080i from analog component cables. Look up the specs, but you can have a true HIGH DEFINITION analog signal via component (red, green, blue) cables. It most definitely was higher resolution than component from a standard definition DVD (as I had both types side by side in the 2 component channels).

Good to know.
Admittedly I have not messed around much with component since I got a HDMI monitor. If I had a 720p or 1080i monitor I might not have bothered with the HDMI in any event. Seems I was under the incorrect assumption that component couldn't handle a 1080i signal.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Anybody want a really wide TV?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

3D TVs Coming 2010

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:50 am

From /film: The Next Format War: 3D TVs Coming 2010 - Will Avatar Be The Killer App?

Brendon Connelly wrote:No sooner has Blu-Ray seen off HD-DVD with it’s knobbly knocking stick than another format war starts brewing in, quite literally, the R&D labs.
According to a report in Video Business, Panasonic are looking to launch their first 3D-ready HD sets in what they hope will be an industry-wide standard, and will do so as soon as next year.

It’s probably pertinent to tell you right away that while Panasonic aren’t the only manufacturers working on a 3D standard, they are the ones in league with James Cameron. That alone has very possibly won them any upcoming format war before it even reaches the shop floor. Their system does indeed sound really brilliant, but so do the others, in their ways…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:48 pm

i haven't been very impressed with the 3D i've seen in movie theaters. so i doubt TV companies can do much better.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:33 pm

This is at minimum 5 years away from any real consumer base.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:45 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Would you like a TV that connects to the internet so you can watch Amazon VOD? How about a Blu-ray player that connects to BD-Live via wi-fi? While you're at the store be sure to pick up an in-ground bathtub for your new home theater set-up. You know you want to. I do.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:23 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:While you're at the store be sure to pick up an in-ground bathtub for your new home theater set-up. You know you want to. I do.

haha. My Dad installed a TV wall tile in our bathroom for my mum. She just lies in the bubble bath watching the soap operas. Mental.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:31 pm

I got several Blu Ray discs at X-mas but I never picked up a player because of price and the fact that they were still working out the bugs and crap. Anyone know of any profile 2.0 players that are the best ones out there. I don't want to have to worry about firmware or any of that crap. Anyone got any suggestions?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:15 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I got several Blu Ray discs at X-mas but I never picked up a player because of price and the fact that they were still working out the bugs and crap. Anyone know of any profile 2.0 players that are the best ones out there. I don't want to have to worry about firmware or any of that crap. Anyone got any suggestions?

The PS3 is futureproof and its what I think most people in here use.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:30 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:45 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:I got several Blu Ray discs at X-mas but I never picked up a player because of price and the fact that they were still working out the bugs and crap. Anyone know of any profile 2.0 players that are the best ones out there. I don't want to have to worry about firmware or any of that crap. Anyone got any suggestions?

How is it "futureproof?" Auto updates or something? Or I don't get it. Sorry, I'm a bit of a technology retard.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:50 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:

From what I've read, even Sony's own new budget player is a massive step-up over the PS3.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:32 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

From what I've read, even Sony's own new budget player is a massive step-up over the PS3.

See, that's what I'm talking about. I want to get a good one. So I think I'll be holding off until at least mid-summer. And I don't think I want a PS3 if the budget one are already surpassing it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby sonnyboo on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:59 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
How is it "futureproof?" Auto updates or something? Or I don't get it. Sorry, I'm a bit of a technology retard.

Most Blu Ray players only have 1 gig for memory.hard drive and to upgrade to BLU RAY 2.0 standards, you'll need at least 3-4 gigs of memory. The PS3's already have 40-120 gig, so that is singularly why they are the most upgradable - they have the hard drive space to be upgraded.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:52 am

the PS3 IS a good player. but there will always be a better, cheaper one around the corner. it just depends how much you want to spend and how long you want to wait to spend it.
and no player is 100% futureproof. in 10 years, we'll be watching holographic cubes with a gazillion GB of 3D data, and i'm pretty sure the PS3 won't be able to play those.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:56 pm

TheBaxter wrote:and no player is 100% futureproof. in 10 years, we'll be watching holographic cubes with a gazillion GB of 3D data, and i'm pretty sure the PS3 won't be able to play those.

Yes exactly but the PS3 can play all 2.0 profile stuff and with firmware upgrading it can keep up pace feature wise with most else out there. Is it the best player out there? Of course not. Go buy a $2000 Marantz / Denon or something like that if thats what you're going for.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:05 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:and no player is 100% futureproof. in 10 years, we'll be watching holographic cubes with a gazillion GB of 3D data, and i'm pretty sure the PS3 won't be able to play those.

Yes exactly but the PS3 can play all 2.0 profile stuff and with firmware upgrading it can keep up pace feature wise with most else out there. Is it the best player out there? Of course not. Go buy a $2000 Marantz / Denon or something like that if thats what you're going for.

I was going to buy myself a PS3 for my recent birthday under the guise of upgrading to BluRay as well as getting my first gaming platform in years. But I tell ya, I just couldn't pull the trigger. With the base station, the extra controller, the better cables, 2 games (gotta start somewhere, right?) PLUS one or two BluRay movies, it would come out to be close to 8 hundred bucks. Man, I just can't afford that, so maybe when one of these "budget" Blurays hits the market I'll get one, and just keep dreaming about PS3 :P
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:15 pm

sonnyboo wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:

Most Blu Ray players only have 1 gig for memory.hard drive and to upgrade to BLU RAY 2.0 standards, you'll need at least 3-4 gigs of memory. The PS3's already have 40-120 gig, so that is singularly why they are the most upgradable - they have the hard drive space to be upgraded.

Storage has nothing to do with being upgradeable. A firmware update flashes the ROM giving the controller chips new instructions and capabilities. If you get a Blu-ray player with a built-in network connection to get an update all you have to do is push a button on the remote and follow the instructions, which pretty much amount to "Don't turn off the Blu-ray player until I say it's safe." I can't speak for all manufacturers but that's how it works with my Sony BDP-S350. The 360 just came out so look for 350s to be on sale soon. Or wait for the expected flood of cheap Chinese-made Blu-ray players this Christmas that I linked about above.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Mogo on Thu May 21, 2009 7:44 am

And add to that:

"a whopping 1.6 terabytes of information fit on a DVD-sized disc"

Will Blu-Ray even have time to make a Laserdisc-sized blip on the landscape?
Mogo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 21, 2009 11:12 am

Mogo wrote:

And add to that:

"a whopping 1.6 terabytes of information fit on a DVD-sized disc"

Will Blu-Ray even have time to make a Laserdisc-sized blip on the landscape?

This will never make it to mass consumption.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby travis-dane on Thu May 21, 2009 12:15 pm

I found this about that:

Google may want to store every bit that you have ever flipped, but it faces the problem that current data storage technology uses a relatively low-density, 2-D approach. Of course, holographic data storage has been touted as the answer to this problem ever since, well, since the first hologram was demonstrated. Despite its potential, holographic data storage has failed to gain market share. This is because the current generation of optical and magnetic storage media are actually simple, robust, and just good enough to hold the competition at bay.

The upshot is that, until magnetic bits can no longer be shrunk and multilayer optical discs reach their limits, any new technology has to have all the good features of current data storage techniques and be better. A bunch of Aussies think they might have hit the sweet spot with a new multilayer optical storage medium that has the potential to store data at around 1.1Tb/cm3. A standard DVD clocks in at 51MB in a square centimeter in each of its layers.

At heart, the new medium looks rather like the old optical medium, consisting of multiple layers where data can be stored. However, instead of using a dye or a pit-island approach, the layers are filled with gold nanorods. The electrons in the nanorods will only respond strongly to an incident light if it has the right color and the electric field of the illuminating light lines up with the axis of the nanorod. When this occurs, the nanorod scatters light everywhere, glows like crazy, and heats up.

If hit with a sufficiently powerful laser, the rod will melt and change its shape, which also changes the color of the light it responds to. It is this step—exceeding the critical power density required to melt the nanorods—that is at the heart of this research.

The key feature here is that the nanorods' response depends on both the color and polarization of the light, which allows for multiple bits to be stored in exactly the same location. There are, of course, limitations to the technique. Only two polarizations should be used to minimize cross talk, and the colors must be separated such that no single nanorod will respond to more than a single illuminating color. Despite these limitations, this still clocks in at six to nine bits per location, and the researchers have already demonstrated that a ten layer medium can be written to.

Reading the information back is a little more complicated, but not by very much. The problem here is distinguishing bits written using the same color and polarization in different layers. To overcome this particular problem, the researchers looked at the nanorod's nonlinear optical response. They illuminated a layer with the same color and polarization used to write that bit, but instead of looking at the absorption or glow from the nanorods, they looked for a color that was much bluer. The bluer light comes from two-photon luminescence, where a nanorod absorbs two illuminating photons at the same time and emits one higher energy photon.

As with the write process, this requires a certain amount of power, so a low-power, sharply focused laser beam will only excite two-photon luminescence from a single layer. In keeping with their writing process, they demonstrated reading to ten layers deep.

So now for a few cautions: this was not demonstrated using a rotating disc, the read out process used a photomultipler tube rather than a photodiode, and the three colors are such that they cannot be obtained from a single diode laser. All this means that the read/write unit would require three laser diodes, a bulky vacuum tube, and a high-voltage power supply. The experiments were performed with a high power laser, but this is not too important, because the power densities used are readily achievable with low-power diode lasers.

Looking into the crystal ball, this is likely to be akin to the original CD technology, which was really a write once, read forever medium. However, unlike the original CD technology, writers should be relatively affordable, and, unlike (re-)writable CDs, these discs are likely to be reliable permanent storage.

Link:
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/05/researchers-hope-to-cram-12tb-of-data-on-dvd-sized-disk.ars
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby King Psyz on Thu May 21, 2009 12:18 pm

so sorry wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

I was going to buy myself a PS3 for my recent birthday under the guise of upgrading to BluRay as well as getting my first gaming platform in years. But I tell ya, I just couldn't pull the trigger. With the base station, the extra controller, the better cables, 2 games (gotta start somewhere, right?) PLUS one or two BluRay movies, it would come out to be close to 8 hundred bucks. Man, I just can't afford that, so maybe when one of these "budget" Blurays hits the market I'll get one, and just keep dreaming about PS3 :P

Honestly you could just buy the box and order a HDMI off newegg for $6 and start with the literal fuck ton of free demos on the system and rent movies off the PSN in 1080p.

Amazon's been having a lot of BD sales of late and some games you can download from the PSN including the incredibly awesome Burnout.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Blu-Ray is still not more than a niche product?
In an April survey, Harris found that 93% of American don't own a Blu-ray player, down only a bit from the 96% in May 2008. By comparison, 11% of Americans own a machine that plays the now-defunct HD DVD format, which movie studios abandoned in favor of Blu-ray.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:56 pm

HD-DVD for the win!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby King Psyz on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:40 pm

yeah that makes all kinds of sense... :roll:
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:27 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Blu-Ray is still not more than a niche product?
In an April survey, Harris found that 93% of American don't own a Blu-ray player, down only a bit from the 96% in May 2008. By comparison, 11% of Americans own a machine that plays the now-defunct HD DVD format, which movie studios abandoned in favor of Blu-ray.

Dude's name is Milton.
Never take the word of a man named Milton.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:34 pm

those numbers are a bit hard to believe. i would've thought PS3 by itself would have more than 7% penetration. unless they're not counting PS3s, that number seems off. also hard to believe that 11% of homes have HD-DVD players... unless they mean DVD players that upconvert, but that would probably be a higher number. only other explanation is that a ton of people bought those really cheap HD-DVD players that flooded the market while it was in it's final death throes.

obviously, with the economy the way it is, blu-ray is a luxury that not many feel is worth the price. if the stupid format war hadn't happened, and blu-ray or any other HD media technology had been pushed as the sole option much earlier in this decade, it would've had a lot more success. hollywood really screwed themselves on this one.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:04 pm

Fievel wrote:Dude's name is Milton.
Never take the word of a man named Milton.

Uncle Miltie never steered anyone wrong.
Just look at that honest face.

What you should really never ever do is take a stapler belonging to a guy named Milton.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:25 am

Wal-Mart has a Magnavox player for $128. Won't be long until they're all in that range.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:10 am

I'll also throw this into the mix: a couple of weeks ago I had a garage sale and we had some VHS for sale. I've been begging my wife to throw this shit away for months but she never let me. The VHS was one of our better sellers that day, surprisingly enough. So I figure if people are still using VCRs, the urge to upgrade to a high definition DVD format probably isn't too high.

Plus, IIRC, HD-DVD was priced to sell during the peak of the format wars so I could understand them selling more players than blu-ray. And there's no need to ditch them since they're backwards compatible, right? Some people who went the HD-DVD route are probably a little gun shy now and are just going to stick with what they have until blu-ray penetrates the market more and it's certain that it's going to be around for a while.

So yeah, for right now, blu-ray is niche. I certainly have no burning desire to upgrade from my standard DVD player. And there's really no need to without a hi-def TV which is a luxury I can live without for the time being. Especially in this economy.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:01 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Wal-Mart has a Magnavox player for $128. Won't be long until they're all in that range.

This Blu Ray is now $78 for Black Friday, and I was wondering where the best deals are. My wife has offered to get me a blu ray for X-mas, and I want a good quality one, but I'd love to get a great deal. So, my question to all you Zoners, what's the best deal out there? Anyone know any great Black Friday Blu-ray player deals?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:17 am

This might help.

I'm going to go for Wal Mart's PS3 deal.
If that fails, I'll try Best Buy.
If that fails, I'll just buy the first friggin' PS3 I see.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:56 am

Fievel wrote:This might help.

I Am Legend for 2 dollars? Still not worth it...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:48 am

so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:This might help.

I Am Legend for 2 dollars? Still not worth it...

maybe if they paid me 2 dollars. I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!!

nope, still not worth it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby sonnyboo on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:12 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
sonnyboo wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:

Storage has nothing to do with being upgradeable. A firmware update flashes the ROM giving the controller chips new instructions and capabilities. If you get a Blu-ray player with a built-in network connection to get an update all you have to do is push a button on the remote and follow the instructions, which pretty much amount to "Don't turn off the Blu-ray player until I say it's safe."

Yes, memory has an affect. The updates from BLU RAY 1.1 to 2.0 take over 3-4 gig of storage space in RAM/Hard drive and most BLU RAY 1.1 players do not have more than 1 gig total. I wrote this in the quote above, but it's still very true. Even if you connect to the internet, if the Blu Ray Player doesn't have the RAM, it can't make an upgrade to 2.0.

I have upgraded my player from 1.0 to 1.1, but it will never be able to get to 2.0, and this is true of more Blu Ray players from more than 1 year ago.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:40 pm

sonnyboo wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
sonnyboo wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:

Storage has nothing to do with being upgradeable. A firmware update flashes the ROM giving the controller chips new instructions and capabilities. If you get a Blu-ray player with a built-in network connection to get an update all you have to do is push a button on the remote and follow the instructions, which pretty much amount to "Don't turn off the Blu-ray player until I say it's safe."

Yes, memory has an affect. The updates from BLU RAY 1.1 to 2.0 take over 3-4 gig of storage space in RAM/Hard drive and most BLU RAY 1.1 players do not have more than 1 gig total. I wrote this in the quote above, but it's still very true. Even if you connect to the internet, if the Blu Ray Player doesn't have the RAM, it can't make an upgrade to 2.0.

I have upgraded my player from 1.0 to 1.1, but it will never be able to get to 2.0, and this is true of more Blu Ray players from more than 1 year ago.

Actually the v1.0 players ceased being produced two years ago (~Dec 07) and were never meant to be upgradeable to v2.0. (Frankly, buying a Blu-ray player at that time was a risky affair even if for early adopting videophiles.) All v1.1 players (available from Dec 07), while not having much internal storage, should have a USB port so you can use a USB stick for additional storage.

(I know this stuff now as Nick was talking about it the other day in the Star Trek DVD thread and so I went and did some Stephen Sommers style research on the matter)

And all this just so you can have a slightly better picture quality when watching Transformers 2.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:27 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
sonnyboo wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
sonnyboo wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:

Actually the v1.0 players ceased being produced two years ago (~Dec 07) and were never meant to be upgradeable to v2.0. (Frankly, buying a Blu-ray player at that time was a risky affair even if for early adopting videophiles.) All v1.1 players (available from Dec 07), while not having much internal storage, should have a USB port so you can use a USB stick for additional storage.

(I know this stuff now as Nick was talking about it the other day in the Star Trek DVD thread and so I went and did some Stephen Sommers style research on the matter)

And all this just so you can have a slightly better picture quality when watching Transformers 2.

hey, it makes a big difference when you're watching a big-screen 1080p shot of john turturro's bare ass.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:19 pm

Fried Gold wrote:(I know this stuff now as Nick was talking about it the other day in the Star Trek DVD thread and so I went and did some Stephen Sommers style research on the matter)

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This gets me every time. I loved that conversation.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:18 am

I just got a PS3. Got it and two games for $299 at Amazon on Black Friday. I hope it turns out to be a solid Blu-ray player, because I do most of my gaming from my Xbox360.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Todd on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:12 pm

From Roger Ebert:

Ebert wrote:Warner's will start releasing ALL films in 3-packs of Blu-ray, DVD & a digital copy! Just announced. Buy that $100 Bluplayer.

Synopsis of WB press release
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray