W0W!1! SCIENC3!1! Blu-Ray FTW!

Betamax and beyond

How will you be watching movies in the future?

DVD?
11%
HD-DVD?
13%
Blu-Ray?
51%
EVD?
1%
Holographic Optical Recording Technology?
4%
OLDSCHOOL BABY! Betamax/VHS?
3%
Projected onto your eyelids by your new 3D magic-movie eye?
3%
In the gorram CINEMA, all this tech costs tooo much........
15%

Total votes : 75

Re: W0W!1! SCIENC3!1! Blu-Ray FTW!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:30 pm

The Todd wrote:From Roger Ebert:

Ebert wrote:Warner's will start releasing ALL films in 3-packs of Blu-ray, DVD & a digital copy! Just announced. Buy that $100 Bluplayer.

Synopsis of WB press release

That's kind of cool news I guess. Avoids idiots buying the wrong format and getting frustrated I guess. Although I guess the frustration really happens now when they put the blu-ray disc in their DVD player. Oh well.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm

....also helps prevent people from getting burned with the double-dip after they upgrade to BluRay
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: BDXL

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:59 pm

From Collider:
Details on the New Blu-Ray Format: BDXL - Can Hold 128GB of Data on 4 Layers
Andrew Robinson wrote:With the recent news of Avatar’s Blu-ray release, it’s become abundantly clear 50GB may just not be enough anymore. It’s being reported on engadget that the Blu-ray Disc Association is planning on introducing the world to BDXL. This new format will still produce wonderful 1080p HD video, but will be capable of holding 128GB of data as opposed to the current generation of Blu-ray discs that hold only a mere 50GB.

Blu-ray Disc Association Announces Additional Format Enhancements

LOS ANGELES –(Business Wire)– Apr 03, 2010 The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced two new media specifications that use Blu-ray Disc technology to provide targeted functionality for commercial and consumer applications. The specifications for BDXLTM (High Capacity Recordable and Rewritable discs) and IH-BD (Intra-Hybrid discs) are expected in the next few months.

The BDXL specification, which is targeted primarily at commercial segments such as broadcasting, medical and document imaging enterprises with significant archiving needs, will provide customers with write-once options on 100GB and 128GB capacity discs and rewritable capability on 100GB discs. The discs reach these capacities by incorporating three to four recordable layers. A consumer version of BDXL is also expected, particularly in those regions where BD recorders have achieved broad consumer acceptance.

“Professional industries have expressed a desire to find optical disc solutions that enable them to transition away from magnetic media for their archiving needs,” said Victor Matsuda, Blu-ray Disc Association Global Promotions Committee chair. “Leveraging Blu-ray Disc to meet this need provides professional enterprises with a compact, stable and long term solution for archiving large amounts of sensitive data, video and graphic images using a proven and widely accepted optical technology.”

The Intra-Hybrid Blu-ray Disc (IH-BD) incorporates a single BD-ROM layer and a single BD-RE layer so as to enable the user to view, but not overwrite, critical published data while providing the flexibility to include relevant personal data on the same physical disc. This allows for consumer specific applications where combining published content with related user data on a convenient, single volume is desirable. Both the ROM and the RE layers on IH-BD discs provide 25GB of capacity.

Because both BDXL and IH-BD are specially designed formats with specific market segments in mind, newly-designed hardware is required to play back or record BDXL or IH-BD media. However, because the new media specifications are extensions of current Blu-ray Disc technology, future BDXL and IH-BD devices can be designed to support existing 25GB and 50GB Blu-ray Discs.

About Blu-ray DiscTM

Blu-ray DiscTM is the next-generation optical disc format for high definition audio-video and high-capacity data software applications. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc holds up to 25 gigabytes of data and a double-layer Blu-ray Disc holds up to 50 gigabytes of data.

About the Blu-ray Disc Association

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is responsible for promoting and developing business opportunities for Blu-ray Disc - the next-generation optical disc format for storing high-definition movies, games, photos and other digital content. The BDA has more than 170 members. Its Board of Directors consists of individuals affiliated with the following member companies: Apple Inc., Dell Inc., Hewlett-Packard Company, Hitachi, Ltd., Intel Corporation, LG Electronics Inc., Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Oracle Corporation, Panasonic Corporation, Pioneer Corporation, Royal Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Sharp Corporation, Sony Corporation, TDK Corporation, Technicolor, Twentieth Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures and Television, and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

The Blu-ray DiscTM name and Blu-ray DiscTM logo are registered trademarks of the Blu-ray Disc Association.

BDXLTM is a trademark of the Blu-ray Disc Association.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:18 pm

...guess we know the next physical format of video games now? (assuming there is a new physical format)
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:22 pm

I still think I'll wait until I have a larger, HDTV. What's the point until then?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:45 pm

i'm posting this article in here not because of Avatar selling more discs than any other previously released movie in its first week (i could care less about that) but because of this factoid:

"Avatar" sold 2.7 million high-definition Blu-ray discs -- along with 4 million standard definition DVDs -- in the first four days it was available.

the fact that it sold so many BR discs, about 40% of total sales, seems to bely the arguments by those people who think BR is just "laserdisc part 2". i don't think any laserdisc titles ever sold 2.7 million copies in one week. i think this makes it fair to say that BR is finally approaching becoming as "mainstream" as DVD has been, and sooner than it took for DVD to take over the mainstream from VHS. it will be interesting to see what the first title is to actually sell more BR discs than DVDs.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:07 pm

TheBaxter wrote:it will be interesting to see what the first title is to actually sell more BR discs than DVDs.

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:49 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:21 am

a 20-minute video requires about four terabytes of space

Holy crap!!

The tech is likely a decade away from wide adoption (and even then, probably not in the States)

Glad to see the "decade away" part... I just bought my HDTV ... but it's not going to be used in the States?
I'm left assuming that a different super-duper next-gen standard is being worked on(?).
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:58 am

Fievel wrote:
a 20-minute video requires about four terabytes of space

Holy crap!!

The tech is likely a decade away from wide adoption (and even then, probably not in the States)

Glad to see the "decade away" part... I just bought my HDTV ... but it's not going to be used in the States?
I'm left assuming that a different super-duper next-gen standard is being worked on(?).

Well HD is 2k, Film is around 4k and then there are films shot at 8k. So, yeah, be afraid Fievel.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:51 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Blu-Ray is dead:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20101009/186359/

Long live TDKs.

As long as it can play on my PS3 then I don't care!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:50 pm

We are on the cusp of losing optical storage media altogether, so while TDK's innovation is nifty I can't imagine that it will have broad application. Or am I wrong?

I am not wrong.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Re: Blu-Con 2010

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:24 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby MadCapsule on Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:18 pm

So, am I alone in thinking that Blu-Ray just looks, I dunno...weird?

I thought that maybe I just hadn't gotten used to it, but I've watched a number of BD movies on my roommate's HDTV (full 1080p, etc.) and the images all seem to lack any warmth or soul. Granted, the images are super crisp and clear, but everything just kinda looks artificial to me.

I suppose the problem could be in the way he has the screen settings set up on his TV, but it's not mine, so I'm not gonna dick around with it.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:47 pm

MadCapsule wrote:So, am I alone in thinking that Blu-Ray just looks, I dunno...weird?

I thought that maybe I just hadn't gotten used to it, but I've watched a number of BD movies on my roommate's HDTV (full 1080p, etc.) and the images all seem to lack any warmth or soul. Granted, the images are super crisp and clear, but everything just kinda looks artificial to me.

I suppose the problem could be in the way he has the screen settings set up on his TV, but it's not mine, so I'm not gonna dick around with it.

It depends on what you watch and the tv/setup does have a huge impact on the image as well so its hard to tell where the issue is.

Try watching the Godfather on blu and tell me that it doesnt have character and warmth.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MadCapsule on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:01 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:So, am I alone in thinking that Blu-Ray just looks, I dunno...weird?

It depends on what you watch and the tv/setup does have a huge impact on the image as well so its hard to tell where the issue is.

Try watching the Godfather on blu and tell me that it doesnt have character and warmth.

Yeah, I'll have to try watching a real movie on blu-ray some time. My one roomie's tastes lean more toward stuff like Transformers 2 (one of his favorites, no joke) and Bale-inator: Salvation.

Let me ask you this: what do black and white films look like on BR? I would think that if they were cleaned up too much, it just wouldn't look right.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:07 pm

MadCapsule wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Yeah, I'll have to try watching a real movie on blu-ray some time. My one roomie's tastes lean more toward stuff like Transformers 2 (one of his favorites, no joke) and Bale-inator: Salvation.

Let me ask you this: what do black and white films look like on BR? I would think that if they were cleaned up too much, it just wouldn't look right.

Night of the Hunter. AMAZING.

Ive got a bunch of other Criterion BW films too and they all look really nice. Keeping the grain of the original while deleting scratches etc...

The issue with things like Transformers etc... is that they tend to look hyper-real and thats the film itself and not the transfer, imho.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MadCapsule on Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:02 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Ive got a bunch of other Criterion BW films too and they all look really nice. Keeping the grain of the original while deleting scratches etc...

The issue with things like Transformers etc... is that they tend to look hyper-real and thats the film itself and not the transfer, imho.

Good to know about the b&w films! Is Seven Samurai on Criterion blu-ray yet? Better yet...don't even tell me. Restarting my movie collection isn't something I can worry about right now!

About the hyper-real thing: That's what I kept saying while watching my roommate's copy of Quantum of Solace. It looked so real that it was messing with my head.

Dammit. I'm gonna be in trouble when the PS3 finally dips below $300.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Fievel on Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:53 pm

The issues could very well be the setup of the TV. I've only set mine to the patterns on Pixar BDs, and that has helped a lot. You might want to try that (with permission, of course). Or, if your roommate will let you, check out AVS Forum or other audio/visual geek forums where you'll find dedicated threads to your (his) tv with a lot of settings options posted by forum members.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:51 am

I say go dick around with it.

But I sorta agree with you. A lot of Blu-ray pictures do look weird....but without a specific reason why. There must be an uncanny valley of motion picture or something.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:44 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

yeah, one of the drawbacks of BR is that the picture quality is so good that the difference between real stuff and fx stuff is elevated and made more noticable. one of the first BRs i watched was spiderman 3 (because it came with the ps3, i never woulda bought it on my own) and i had the same sort of reaction, that it just looked weird. but if you watch a real movie with real sets and actors and thats not overly dependent on CG, it won't look that way.

i think when you watch these movies in a theater, on film, the film grain covers up the artificial-ness of the CG a bit, but BR doesn't have that benefit, especially with the trend in disc mastering these days to eliminate all the noise and grain from any film-based source. unfortunately, that sometimes results in non-CG films that also have that artificial sheen to them, and makes them look weird too.

and of course, tv settings have a lot to do with it. usually, for the most natural picture, you should turn off as much of the digital image processing as the tv settings will allow (stuff like digital NR [no decently mastered BR or even DVD for that matter should have noticable digital noise these days], gamma enhancers, etc) and absolutely positively turn the sharpness ALL THE WAY DOWN, because all sharpness does is add extra edge contrast and give it a weird, hard, edgy look to the picture. sharpness was intended for old analog tvs, it has no usefulness in new digital tvs, especially when the source material is digital too, i don't even know why modern tvs even still have sharpness settings, unless they still think some people will be hooking up VCRs to their fancy new HDTVs. also, you may need to adjust the brightness and color down a bit, a lot of tvs are set up with the brightness and color too high because they want to attract people in those brightly lit Best Buy showrooms, competing against the big wall of all the other TVs for shoppers' attention, but it gives the picture a very unnatural look in a normal viewing environment.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Y'know, I probably should just go dick around with his TV. I should probably also take a shit in his pillow case, but that's a discussion for another thread. Now, if I could only find a way to make him get his lazy ass the fuck out of the apartment for five minutes...
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Is this an LCD TV?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby MadCapsule on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:00 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:

Is this an LCD TV?

I believe it is.

Sorry, I really don't know how to spot the difference between LCD and plasma, but I think he would have made a bigger deal out of it being plasma if it was.
Last edited by MadCapsule on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:56 pm

I can totally recommend that you just buy a mid range video projector, hook it up to your player, forget TV and die happy. You frankly don't even need Blu, an upscaled DVD is more than enough as the GIANT figures move about on your 4 metre long screen.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby MadCapsule on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:27 am

magicmonkey wrote:I can totally recommend that you just buy a mid range video projector, hook it up to your player, forget TV and die happy. You frankly don't even need Blu, an upscaled DVD is more than enough as the GIANT figures move about on your 4 metre long screen.

I've been considering that, as I don't feel like lugging a big tv around when I move (even though flat screens don't weigh all that much).
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:03 pm

MadCapsule wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:

Is this an LCD TV?

I believe it is.

Sorry, I really don't know how to spot the difference between LCD and plasma, but I think he would have made a bigger deal out of it being plasma if it was.

I've noticed the same thing with LCD TVs, and have heard others complaining about it as well. It's mostly described as, "everything looks like a Mexican soap opera" i.e., overly-lit, fake-looking, and seems to be shot on video. A friend told me that it's caused by a higher frame rate and brightness level than is necessary, but he may have been talking out his ass.

I'd love to know the real story behind it, too.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:06 pm

MadCapsule wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:I can totally recommend that you just buy a mid range video projector, hook it up to your player, forget TV and die happy. You frankly don't even need Blu, an upscaled DVD is more than enough as the GIANT figures move about on your 4 metre long screen.

I've been considering that, as I don't feel like lugging a big tv around when I move (even though flat screens don't weigh all that much).

Believe me when I say this, the only down side I could see is that you have to replace the bulb every few thousand hours... If you have the (wall) space, do it unquestionably!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:34 am

magicmonkey wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:

Believe me when I say this, the only down side I could see is that you have to replace the bulb every few thousand hours... If you have the (wall) space, do it unquestionably!

Hmmm... All my tax forms should be arriving soon.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby ufoclub1977 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:55 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:

Is this an LCD TV?

I believe it is.

I've noticed the same thing with LCD TVs, and have heard others complaining about it as well. It's mostly described as, "everything looks like a Mexican soap opera" i.e., overly-lit, fake-looking, and seems to be shot on video. A friend told me that it's caused by a higher frame rate and brightness level than is necessary, but he may have been talking out his ass.

I'd love to know the real story behind it, too.

Sorry, just spotted this and had to comment. It sounds like the culprit for making the blu-ray look fake is using the television's 120 hz (or more) function where it artificially interpolates more frames and makes the image look like video ( I think it even effects the image by changing the tone, but that's just a visual observation). I've seen Avatar playing on blu-ray side by side on two LCD's. One had the frame function on and one had it off. The one that was using it looked like a cheap video. And it also looked live like an old soap opera or the news.

So turn that feature off! That feature probably works in favor of sporting events because they are better seeming more "live".

The difference between a plasma and an LCD -outside of an LCD being capable of ruining movies with this artificial frame-rate function- is that plasma's look the same in terms of contrast and color from any angle. whereas an LCD has a prime viewing angle. From the sides, an LCD can look more dim or more gray. Your computer monitor is probably an LCD, and will exhibit the same weakness.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ufoclub1977 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Anyone noticing blu-ray looking weird is the victim of jacked up tv settings not the blu-ray technology. Take the tv off of game mode, and turn the sharpness all the way down (it's fake sharpness anyway, added by the tv). Look up the right settings for the tv in the forums of cnet.

But you should know that the resolution of blu-ray is still a bit less then what you see in the movie theater, so saying effects look worse at blu-ray resolution is illogical. But messed up tv settings will make stuff look too vivid and sharp and artificial. As will the higher more fluid frequency features like 120 hz and above... these features destroy the flicker frame 24p look you're used to end up making it look like live video.

Of course some people are getting used to the more lifelike movement and hate the 24p look. But 24p is what you get on in the movie theaters at this point and in the past.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:11 pm

I finally broke down and bought an HDTV. Thoughts on blu-ray players? Is there a decent b-r recorder that comes in at less than 500 or so? Is there such a thing as a b-r dubber that will allow me to put old VHS onto b-r? (I have a VHS-DVD dubber currently, and am working my way through old VHS stuff).
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:12 am

Standalone BluRay recorders appear to still be extremely expensive. Blank discs aren't cheap yet, either. If you're looking for a cost-effective method right now, your best bet would be to get one for your computer and transfer that way. Otherwise continue to use DVDs for your transfers. Really, your source material quality isn't going to improve any.

But as for BluRay players.... they're awfully cheap now compared to a few years ago. If you have wireless internet you may want to make sure you get a BluRay player with wireless capabilities - sometimes Firmware is made available for players.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:26 am

Wow – Samsung Seem About To Unveil A Taller-Than-Wide TV Set, And It Might Even Be Transparent
Brendon Connelly wrote:TV is the child of cinema. The basic formats of moving pictures broadcast through the air have always followed in the footsteps of those made and screened in cinemas. This is particularly clear if you look at the evolving shape of the TV set, going from a 4:3 box to the 16:9 window I’m looking at now – and, though they never caught on, there have been a number of 21:9 sets too. These echo closely the academy, widescreen and cinemascope aspect ratios of the movie house – Casablanca, Bonnie and Clyde and Return of the King, say.

But maybe this chain is about to be broken. Maybe TV is about to go somewhere cinema hasn’t.

Samsung are teasing a new TV set to be unveiled at next week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas. They posted an image and little bit of copy to their blog (via The Verge).

What does that mean?

Well, looking at the image, I think it’s reasonable to assume they’re going to be offering a portrait set, taller than it is wide rather than the standard other way around. They’ll literally beupending the classic design.

As for “timeless” – well, perhaps there’s a hint here that the set will actually be transparent. This is perhaps borne out by the design of the image above.

And there’s nothing more timeless than no date-able, identifying stylings at all.

Transparency makes sense for a few reasons. First of all, Samsung have shown off transparent LCD screens before, so we know they have the tech.

Secondly, this will disguise the fact that the screen is only fractionally in use when watching conventional, wider-than-tall movie content – and a pretty small fraction, too, when you’re looking at a cinemascope movie, running across the middle of the screen like a belt.

But why go portrait in the first place?

I immediately thought of the 9:16 film festival of a few years a go, where entrants uploaded their portrait-shaped films to Vimeo as part of the application process. The reason there was simple – people were starting to make a lot of video on their phones, and a lot of the time, it was shot with the phone “upright.”

Now we’re generating so much content ourself, and it’s so easy for us to produce 9:16 rather than 16:9 video, it maybe wouldn’t be so hard to find lots of portrait content for this new screen.

But not professionally produced stuff.

And films, I’d argue, benefit from landscape aspect ratios. That’s closer to how we see the world, after all – my eyes are side by side, not stacked one above the other.

Imagine every ‘conversation scene’ you’ve ever watched in the movies now reconfigured to work in portrait images. Either everything would be done in ‘singles,’ one actor at a time; or there’d be a lot of headroom or legroom; or whole sets of conventional camera angles would have to be scrapped and replaced.

I actually planned a film for the 9:16 film festival but never made it. Perhaps I will now. Perhaps I’ll donate it to Samsung. It was a formally interesting thing, but it just felt too conceited to sweat it too much over what seemed essentially to be a gimmick.

I can only guess that Samsung don’t have conventional uses in mind for their screen. I am reminded of Back to the Future 2‘s video windows – but that makes me wonder, actually, if the inspiration for this radical redesign is still cinema after all – just the content now, and not the form.

Or maybe the idea is for this screen to house several other ‘screens,’ rectangles arranged on its taller, wall-hanging face?

The set, whatever it ends up being, will be unveiled at the CES next week. I can’t wait to find out more.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Blu-ray 4K

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:30 am

From Variety:
CES: Sony pushes for 4K industry standard - 'Amazing Spider-Man,' 'Total Recall' to be remastered in 4K for Blu-ray
David S. Cohen wrote:As Kazuo Hirai looks to revitalize the Sony brand, he's not turning his back on Sony Pictures, replicating what former chief Howard Stringer did well: showing off some of the studio's upcoming projects to charm throngs of CES crowds with a little Hollywood razzle-dazzle to tout the electronics company's newest products.

This time, however, there were no celebs onstage. Instead, Hirai took a more conservative approach and spoke of M. Night Shyamalan's sci-fi epic "After Earth" and Sony's efforts to lead the entertainment industry's conversion to digital 4K, as well as upcoming titles "Elysium" and "Oblivion." Over the past two years, Springer brought Will Smith and Seth Rogen on stage to promote "Men in Black 3" and "The Green Hornet." Smith and his son star in "After Earth" but were absent Monday night.

Hirai said Sony wants to expand 4K production into TV drama and commercials and to make it the industry standard. In addition to native 4K movies, SPE and Sony ColorWorks are getting ready to re-release library titles remastered on 4K Blu-ray. "Another world's first," Hirai said. "I hope you can see 4K is not the future, it's now, and Sony is leading the way."

Company announced it is launching a 4K video distribution service, making 4K movies from Sony and other companies available for download.

Separately, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment announced "Mastered in 4K," a new line of Blu-ray titles, including "The Amazing Spider-Man," "Total Recall" and "The Karate Kid," which will be offered in high-bitrate 1080presolution on Sony's new 4K Ultra HD TVs.

"When I was named CEO," Hirai said, "I made a commitment to revitalize Sony's electronics business." He identified three core business essential for that turnaround: "Digital imaging, games and mobile."

The lack of focus on Sony Pictures may not help quell rumors of a potential sale of the studio as Hirai looks to turn around Sony while dealing with struggling TV sales.

He touted the 84-inch Bravia 4K TV, new investments including EMI music, and new alliances, notably Olympus for medical imaging.

Sony Electronics prexy-COO Phil Molyneux took over to introduce the Xperia Z smartphone. Unit has a 5-inch 1080p screen, 13 megapixel camera for both stills and video and near field communication (NFC) for sharing content wirelessly with other Sony devices. He also introduced wireless speakers, sound bars and the "Personal Content Station," which downloads content when another Sony device is touched to it.

Sony is introducing a 4K consumer video camera and TVs with upscaling to "near 4K resolution," said Molyneux.

The first mention of Sony Pictures Entertainment came 25 minutes into the event, when Molyneux talked about the remastered 4K content available with the 4K Bravia TV. "We realize an 84-inch TV isn't for everyone," said Molyneux. New 4K TVs include 55-inch and 65-inch models "at a more accessible price range."

Molyneux introduced "TV SideView," a program guide app for smartphones and tablets that doubles as a universal remote control. At that point, some 17 minutes into the presentation, he used "Skyfall" as an example of something a viewer could get information on.

Sony's presser was presented at its CES booth -- if a space approaching 100 yards wide can be called a "booth" -- located as usual in a corner of the Las Vegas Convention Center. A circular projection screen loops above the entire space, with a stage at one end. Journos jammed in to take in the latest gadgets from the Japanese conglom.

Sony, like other TV makers, is making 4K UHD TV a big part of its pitch. The demo at the Sony booth asks viewers to stand one and a half screen-heights from the screen -- much closer than TV viewers normally sit -- to show how immersive the experience can be.

Hirai unveiled a prototype 56" OLED 4K TV. The combination of OLED and 4K should produce a startling picture -- if and when it makes it to retail.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:19 pm

CES Tuesday Roundup: Big TVs, big phones and a transparent TV
Samsung unveils world's first curved OLED TV| 2:20 p.m.

Samsung is showing off the world's first curved, super-thin OLED TV at the CES exhibition center.

From afar, the TV looked like any other set that might be on display at a tech show, but once Samsung spokesman Scott Cohen pointed out the new gadget, I began to notice its unusual curved screen.

The picture quality was, unsurprisingly, remarkable and the weird curve didn't really affect the way my eyes saw the image.

Cohen explained that the curved screen is intended to give viewers a more realistic and grand experience, similar to that of going to an IMAX movie theater. He also explained that the curved screen gives consumers more viewing angles where the picture appears just as it would if they were looking straight on at the TV.

As with most things at CES, Samsung did not announce a release date or pricing information for the TV. In fact, Samsung didn't even provide a size for the curved display, but it looked to be about as big as one of their 55-inch OLED TVs.

--Salvador Rodriguez

Panasonic offers up 4K OLED TV, 'warm fuzzies'| 10:50 a.m.

Kicking off the first official day of the 2013 International Consumer Electronics Show, Panasonic CEO Kazuhiro Tsuga did his best to stir our gadget lust and our emotions.

There were flashy gadgets, a pregnant Lisa Ling on stage, loads of baby videos, and the always inspirational Newark Mayor Cory Booker.

Tsuga aimed for the big picture, talking about the accelerated pace of change, and how it impacts both consumers and Panasonic.

When it comes to new technology: "The next five years will transform more than the last 25,” Tsuga said. “Clearly, customers are hungry for this."

But the biggest piece of eye candy during the hour-long presentation was bound to be the Panasonic 4K OLED TV that Tsuga showed on stage. Sony made a lot of noise on Monday by claiming to have the first and only.

Not any more.

The 56-inch screen on Panasonic’s 4K was glorious. Even more astonishing: This bad boy was only one-half inch thick. Let me repeat: One-half inch thick. This is for a TV folks.

Price and availability were not announced. But if this is the future, it can’t get here fast enough.

And to really get your juices flowing, Panasonic execs gave just the briefest glimpse of their coming 20-inch Windows 8-based 4K tablet. Again, no price or availability date. But still, yum factor is high.

Tsuga also talked up the expanded interactive features being added to its Panasonic Viera smart TVs. Panasonic is trying to embrace more interactivity and more second-screen activity. All of that will allow for greater personalization of the TV’s home screen, it’s menu, and for new social features.

Just as important, that’s going to allow Panasonic and content creators to get loads more information on users’ behavior. And that will enable them to soon start targeting TV ads to individuals. And of course, this is going to put a mile-wide smile on the faces of advertisers and TV producers everywhere.

Panasonic shows off 20-inch, 4K tablet| 9:50 a.m.

Here’s something to stimulate your saliva glands.

Panasonic just gave us a glimpse of a 20-inch 4K tablet. No word on price or availability. But boy howdy, it looked pretty darn sweet. See a picture here:

https://twitter.com/obrien/status/28869 ... 00/photo/1

Sony unveils world's first OLED 4K TV| 6:35 p.m. Monday

In a show filled with bright lights and bumping music, Sony gave a peek at its plans by unveiling the world's first OLED 4K TV at CES.

The 56-inch set is a prototype, but it is the first to combine OLED and 4K, both of which are considered the next step in TV technology. OLED provides higher quality images and allows for thinner displays while 4K, also known as Ultra HD, has a resolution four times that of full 1080p HD.

Although the OLED 4K set did provide an incredible image, it didn't take long for it to show why it's just a prototype. As Sony CEO bragged about the TV's high-quality picture, the display stopped working and simply showed a blue screen. It was an embarrassing moment in an otherwise impressive event where Sony announced numerous major products that will be launching in 2013.

Among them are 65-inch and 55-inch 4K TVs that will join an 84-inch model Sony released last year. Sony placed some of its 4K screens side by side with regular HD displays, showing the difference.

The 4K displays seemed to provide a brighter picture. The new 4K models are set to arrive some time this spring.

For the smartphone market, Sony unveiled its next flagship phone, the Xperia Z, which is set to arrive in the first quarter of 2013.

The Xperia Z features a 5-inch 1080p HD display and has a 13-megapixel rear camera. The pictures it took were very sharp and looked excellent on the display.

The Xperia Z, which is water and dust resistant, uses a 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 processor and is LTE enabled. LTE is the latest technology in cellular high-speed Internet access.

No prices were given on any of the products.

-- Salvador Rodriguez

Sharp says bigger is better with 90-inch LED TV| 10:25 a.m. Monday

Two months after confessing "material doubts" about its chances of survival, Sharp made a case for its continued relevance at CES with a slew of large-screen, high-definition televisions.

The Japanese company pulled back the curtain -- literally, a massive red one -- to show off its gargantuan 60-, 70-, 80- and 90-inch Aquos LED televisions at a news conference Monday.

The 90-inch behemoth — which Sharp said will be the "largest commercially available LED TV" — is to reach stores in March.

Large-screen models have more than quadrupled their share of the television market's revenue, to 20% last year from 4% in 2010, said John Herrington, president of Sharp Electronics Marketing Co. America.

"For U.S. consumers, bigger is absolutely better," he said, adding that Sharp plans to have 21 such products on the market this year.

Other television innovations from the company include a split-screen function that allows users to surf the Web and watch television on the same screen. A new app will turn Android and iOS devices into a remote control. So-called 8K resolution -- 16 times the pixel resolution of HDTV -- and Quattron color upgrades could make television viewing even more striking and realistic than looking out a window.

Sharp also teased a screen surface technology, dubbed Moth Eye for its insect-like ability to eliminate glare and reflection, in development for 2014.

Also on display: The company’s IGZO (indium, gallium, zinc, oxygen) compound semiconductor, which executives said will offer better resolution and better battery management when used in televisions, monitors and mobile devices. Applications include displays used by doctors and financial traders, said executive vice president Kozo Takahashi.

The technology was included in a smartphone launched in the Japanese market late last year and will be rolled out in more devices this year.

As for the compan'’s balance sheet woes? Chief Executive Toshi Osawa told the scrum that labor costs and inventory have decreased and that the U.S. business is headed for its third year of double-digit growth.

"The changes are already showing themselves," he said.

— Tiffany Hsu

LG rolls out big-screen OLED, Ultra HD TVs|9:05 a.m. Monday

LG's 55-inch OLED HD TV will go on sale in the U.S in March for $12,000, the company announced Monday at the 2013 International Consumer Electronics Show.

The LG set is the first big-screen OLED TV and was on display at CES on Monday morning. Even from across a ballroom floor, the set provided crystal clear images while running a demo video.

Besides OLED, LG also announced it will expand its line of Ultra HD TV sets with two more sizes: 65-inch and 55-inch sets. They join an 84-inch, $20,000 model that launched in 2012.

LG didn't announce pricing or availability of the new Ultra HD models, which display images with four times more detail than the standard high-definition TVs.

— Salvador Rodriguez
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray