W0W!1! SCIENC3!1! Blu-Ray FTW!

Betamax and beyond

How will you be watching movies in the future?

DVD?
11%
HD-DVD?
13%
Blu-Ray?
51%
EVD?
1%
Holographic Optical Recording Technology?
4%
OLDSCHOOL BABY! Betamax/VHS?
3%
Projected onto your eyelids by your new 3D magic-movie eye?
3%
In the gorram CINEMA, all this tech costs tooo much........
15%

Total votes : 75

Postby Fawst on Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:39 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Peven wrote:one big thing DVD has over VHS that appealed to consumers----no rewinding.

Also unlike HD it did not require a new television to take advantage full advantage of the new tech.

I disagree. Do you know how many people still had televisions with no composite connectors, let alone S-Video when DVD hit big? I also can't even remember how many people I knew that had to buy the signal descrambler because their setup involved a passthrough with the VCR and the DVD image was distorted. I honestly know at least ten people that had to buy a new TV set after getting a DVD player for Christmas or a birthday. They were long overdue for the upgrade, but still.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:04 pm

I don't think the majority of people had such problems. The transition and uptake to DVD was quite smooth. The upgrade needed for HD disc usage is certainly greater.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:47 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I don't think the majority of people had such problems. The transition and uptake to DVD was quite smooth. The upgrade needed for HD disc usage is certainly greater.

You are joking aren't you FG?

It was alot worse than you remember. That's why 'Fuckbuster video' increased their sale prices when it happeed.

It's a cuntish manouveur by the corporations....that's what I say.

Tish! Pashaw!

Fuckbuster used to charge extra to rent out DVD's that had 'extra's attached...and as far as I could remember...It was over £4 per video.

That's $8 to our American counterparts...Yes....at Least 8 of your hard earned dollars....

For a video...mind you...NOT A BOX OFFICE BLOCKBUSTER EITHER.

Oh yes! Now WE have to pay for those extras in rental and movie prices.

How about just releasing a video in it's entirety......nothing more.....nothing less.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:25 pm

reposting a question from a now locked thread:

Bluebuck wrote:Anybody know what percentage of units sold for HD DVD and Blu-Ray in the DVD market? Just curious.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:51 am

Blockbuster brick and mortar has chosen to go (almost) exclusively with Blu-Ray.

Game, set, match?

http://www.engadget.com/tag/blu-ray/
Lord Voldemoo

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:53 am

If it's up to one company, the war would have been over as soon as the cheque cleared.... the war will keep going, but this is a major blow for HD (horah!)

Who owns Blockbuster again??? It's not Murdoch is it? (I have a strange feeling that it is)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:18 am

Not Murdoch.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MonkeyM666 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:25 am

phew.....

Well that's good.... it's Viacom right? The big man doesn't have that yet, it's just too big (thank god)
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:21 pm

I don't think Viacom own Blockbuster anymore - spurred off to be it's own company.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:48 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I don't think Viacom own Blockbuster anymore - spurred off to be it's own company.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you're right, I think Viacom spun Blockbuster off a few years ago.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby MonkeyM666 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:49 am

Oh well there you go. I was just looking up some stuff and it still said that Viacom owned them... THE INTERWEB CAN'T LIE!!!

:roll:

It's pretty amazing that a rental company is big enough to split away from them (VIACOM has been the CBS Corporation since 2005 right? Did I at least get that one right??). So the Blue-ray catalogue will be available in the US, but what about the rest of the world?
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:03 am

I voted for the Holographic technology. I hear it really is the future, and makes Blu-ray/HD-DVD look like VHS.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:28 am

For $1200 you can get the new LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo player and 10 free movies from Best Buy. It's called the "Super Blu High Definition Multiplayer." For $1200 I better get super-blown.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:54 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:For $1200 you can get the new LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo player and 10 free movies from Best Buy. It's called the "Super Blu High Definition Multiplayer." For $1200 I better get super-blown.

i hear HD blowjobs make regular blowjobs feel dull and lifeless in comparison. but, in order to truly appreciate the difference, you need a really big dick.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:33 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:For $1200 you can get the new LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo player and 10 free movies from Best Buy. It's called the "Super Blu High Definition Multiplayer." For $1200 I better get super-blown.

i hear HD blowjobs make regular blowjobs feel dull and lifeless in comparison. but, in order to truly appreciate the difference, you need a really big dick.

Good thing I have a 1080penis.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:20 pm

Big news for the format war:

there was a MAJOR Blu-ray Disc announcement from Sony that came as a bit of a surprise. Sony had a strong presence on the Comic-Con show floor, which included a booth dedicated to promoting its forthcoming releases. Without question, the biggest of these, due to hit stores on 10/2, is the very first Steven Spielberg film to debut in either high-definition format... the Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition. The Blu-ray Disc version will be a 2-disc set (SRP $49.95). Disc One will include all three versions of the film on the same disc in full 1080p video via seamless branching: The 1977 theatrical version, the 1980 special edition and the director's cut (originally released on DVD in 2001). The new high-def transfer has been personally approved by Spielberg himself. Disc Two will include a new, never-before-seen interview with Spielberg, The Making of Close Encounters of the Third Kind retrospective documentary and (exclusive to the Blu-ray version) all-new storyboard-to-scene comparisons, the original 1977 Watch the Skies featurette and the original theatrical trailer. A 2-disc DVD version will also be available (SRP $39.95).

Some of you guys might remember that, earlier this year, there was talk that one or more Spielberg films would be released on HD-DVD format by Universal in 2007, but Universal was forced to issue a statement denying the news. It's hard to deny that the fact that Spielberg would chose (or at least allow) Blu-ray to be the format of his first high-definition release is not insignificant in this format war.

Also:

I also confirmed with Sony execs while at Comic-Con that all three Spider-Man films and the anime Paprika will be released on Blu-ray Disc before the end of the year, as well Hostel and Hostel, Part II (the latter tentatively set for release on 10/23). Hostel director Eli Roth also appeared in the Sony booth during the Con to sign autographs and promote the BD release.

Finally:

What was most interesting about this, was that director Zach Snyder was asked by someone in the audience about the HD-DVD version vs. the Blu-ray version, and if he had a preference between them. Now, I was sitting very close to the reserved studio section, and the moment this question was asked, I heard someone from Warner say, "Uh-oh, here we go..." Seriously, I'm not kidding. Someone from Warner actually said that. You could hear a pin drop among those folks. Snyder was diplomatic as he answered and spoke about the HD-DVD's picture-in-picture feature, but he wasn't exactly gushing either: "I don't know... it's kinda cool. I think. I don't know if the verdict's in..." Then the film's producer, Deborah Snyder (and Zach's wife, who was also on the panel), said that they were working on a more elaborate IME for the Blu-ray, which was going to have storyboards and production artwork in addition to the bluescreen footage. I don't think the Warner people saw THAT coming. I definitely saw a few eyes go wide in shock, let me tell you. I was surprised at the level of nervousness I sensed from the Warner people. This high-def format war definitely has people on edge.

All of this comes courtesy of Digital Bits
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:59 pm

MC Vamp wrote:Paramount/Dreamworks drops Blu-Ray; backs HD-DVDJust when it looked like Blu-Ray was starting to roll (Spider-Man set and the first Pixar Blu-Rays due soon) here comes this bit of news to further extend the befuddling and expensive format war.

Paramount/Dreamworks drops Blu-Ray; backs HD-DVD

Personally, I own a PS3, but I still buy most movies on regular old DVD and use NetFlix for everything else. The Pixar discs look tempting though, even if it's only RATATOUILLE n CARS to start off. When they get to the Incredibles I'll have to slap down some dollars.

Here's hoping WB gets the dual-format discs cracking and then leases out the technology to everyone so we can go back to the REAL issue of the high-def format war: Where is I LOVE LUCY in 1080p????
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:02 pm

It doesnt seem McVamp is going to post this so here it goes Paramount goes HD-DVD exclusive

Seems like a really dumb move.

They made this decision based on researching the benefits of HD-DVD, which "confirmed the clear benefits of HD DVD." Some of the benefits of HD-DVD that they mentioned included lower sales, a much smaller user base, and limited storage space. /sacrasm

There are rumors of a 150 million dollar payout by the HD-DVD consortium to nab the Viacom exclusivity.

Anyway thanks Viacom.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:16 pm

great, this just means i'll have to wait at least another year before i can buy ANY kind of HD player.

WAY TO GO, MORONS!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:59 pm

TheAllSeeingEye wrote:OK Everyone, check this rant out from Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bits.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

You'll obviously remember the much visited talkback where Grande Rojo promoted his HD-DVD player and Bill Hunts response to that piece by Grande Rojo.

Ordinarily I wouldn't let this get to me since people are entitled to their opinion but Bill Hunt is becoming more and more unhinged at the prospect that HD-DVD might actually do well and make him look stupid for saying it won't.

I used to love reading that site but Bill Hunt is just turning into more and more of a prize dickhead each time he talks about HD. It's one thing to have an opinion, I have no problems with that. But Bill seems to regard ANYONE who purchases or HD-DVD with the utmost contempt.

His whole article reeks of hypocrisy. How can Bill Hunt complain that Microsoft have been buying up support, (and how dare they try and support a format they've invested millions of dollars in), when he himself is guilty of being a paid Sony shill?

I used to love reading The Digital Bits, it's been a great source of information with regards to DVD news and reviews. But this whole HD debacle has, for me, ruined the site; it's like Lord of the Flies over there. Go post a positive remark about HD-DVD in the forums over there and see how quick his cronies leap on you like Winged Monkeys.

At the end of the day, real Home Theatre afficianados will tell you that it's

A) Too early to say who will win the format war
    B) That while the technical differences are fairly substantial the end product for movies are nearly identical
and
    C) People who are into Home Theater already own both formats

I just thought i'd get that off my chest since that article really boiled my piss.

What does everyone else think?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:06 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
TheAllSeeingEye wrote:OK Everyone, check this rant out from Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bits.

You'll obviously remember the much visited talkback where Grande Rojo promoted his HD-DVD player and Bill Hunts response to that piece by Grande Rojo.

Ordinarily I wouldn't let this get to me since people are entitled to their opinion but Bill Hunt is becoming more and more unhinged at the prospect that HD-DVD might actually do well and make him look stupid for saying it won't.

I used to love reading that site but Bill Hunt is just turning into more and more of a prize dickhead each time he talks about HD. It's one thing to have an opinion, I have no problems with that. But Bill seems to regard ANYONE who purchases or HD-DVD with the utmost contempt.

His whole article reeks of hypocrisy. How can Bill Hunt complain that Microsoft have been buying up support, (and how dare they try and support a format they've invested millions of dollars in), when he himself is guilty of being a paid Sony shill?

I used to love reading The Digital Bits, it's been a great source of information with regards to DVD news and reviews. But this whole HD debacle has, for me, ruined the site; it's like Lord of the Flies over there. Go post a positive remark about HD-DVD in the forums over there and see how quick his cronies leap on you like Winged Monkeys.

B) That while the technical differences are fairly substantial the end product for movies are nearly identical
and

I just thought i'd get that off my chest since that article really boiled my piss.

There is a difference in vying for support and outright buying it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:08 pm

Wait a minute...I'm a little slow today. Wasn't this link already posted in the EFBR thread about Harry's endorsement?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheAllSeeingEye on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:19 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:

and

And Sony don't ouright buy their support? Sony are the only company with licence to have exclusive support?

Personally, i think it's stupid that Sony and Toshiba got in this position in the first place; it's not hurting either of them yet, just the end consumer.

My reaction though is to Bill Hunt; a man who only afew months ago was promising Universal would pull its exclusive support now spitting his dummy because 2 more studios are having exclusive releases. Oh no, there's no sign of a retraction from Bill Hunt, just more and more complaints and derisions from the man.
TheAllSeeingEye
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:26 pm

TheAllSeeingEye wrote:
stereosforgeek s wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:

and

And Sony don't ouright buy their support? Sony are the only company with licence to have exclusive support?

Personally, i think it's stupid that Sony and Toshiba got in this position in the first place; it's not hurting either of them yet, just the end consumer.

My reaction though is to Bill Hunt; a man who only afew months ago was promising Universal would pull its exclusive support now spitting his dummy because 2 more studios are having exclusive releases. Oh no, there's no sign of a retraction from Bill Hunt, just more and more complaints and derisions from the man.

The whole thing is going nowhere and it sucks for everybody. I would definitely be buying High Def discs if there was one format. For now I'll stick with the Planet Earth Bluray Discs.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:30 pm

Adam Balm wrote:

and

i read that article and basically agree with everything Bill Hunt wrote. i don't know or care who's being paid by who, i have no more or less reason to think Sony is paying digital bits or Toshiba is paying Harry and AICN. all i care about, is what Hunt said in that post -- the format war has to end, and soon, or else they'll BOTH fail. i've got hundreds of dollars that have been itching at my wallet, just waiting for something, ANYTHING, to happen so that i can go ahead and buy a player that won't be obsolete in a few years. this format war is the STUPIDEST thing hollywood has done since giving the olsen twins a movie career.

as for the three points above:
A) Too early to say who will win the format war - of course it is, and that's the problem. the format war should have been settled a long time ago, ideally it should have been settled before they even began making and selling the damn things. if anyone could say definitively that the format war was over, then we could all just shut up about it and go buy the right player. but as long as it's undecided, most of us are gonna stay here, sitting on the fence, waiting, and by the time these idiots get their heads out of their asses and work this thing out, we'll be downloading HD to our Tivos and nobody will care anymore.

B) That while the technical differences are fairly substantial the end product for movies are nearly identical - exactly, which makes the format war all the more pointless. either one will provide an excellent quality product (a point BH himself makes in the article you link to), so it's just pure stupidity and greed that is causing both sides to continue fighting over this. ironically, all that greed means that in the end they'll BOTH lose out. the only reason BH supports BluRay, according to him, is because he thinks it has the best chance of actually winning the format war from a business perspective, not because of any difference in video quality.

C) People who are into Home Theater already own both formats - wrong, there are still a lot of us out here who don't own EITHER format because of this stupid war. and furthermore, the HT enthusiasts will only ever make up a very small part of the total consumer marketplace. if every single HT enthusiast went ahead and bought players for both, we'd end up with (i hate to agree with Moriarty here, but it's true) two very expensive versions of HD LaserDisc, while the vast majority of people continue along with their DVDs.

i could care less which format wins. i don't know as much about the industry to say whether HD-DVD or Blu-Ray stands a better chance of winning. all i know is that the more it keeps swinging back and forth, the worse it gets for all of us who just want a single, reliable HD format, no matter what that format happens to be.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheAllSeeingEye on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:32 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheAllSeeingEy e wrote:
stereosforgeek s wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:

and

The whole thing is going nowhere and it sucks for everybody. I would definitely be buying High Def discs if there was one format. For now I'll stick with the Planet Earth Bluray Discs.

As a home theater enthusiast I'm stupid enough to buy both formats. It's the only way to go if you want HD at the moment. I've always said that it was pure greed in both camps that's left us at this position but i'm more inclined to point the finger at Sony who thought it's PS3 muscle would bully studios into supporting THEIR format.

My post though was more to guage reaction about Bill Hunt who is deluding himself if he thinks he can predict a victor at this junction. Blu Ray looks like a safe bet but PS3 isn't shifting the numbers they forecast and Toshiba units fly off the shelves. Remove PS3 sales from the BR sales figures and it's pretty dismal.
TheAllSeeingEye
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby so sorry on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:34 pm

I heard Barack Obama say that HE didn't support the HD War from the beginning...

And for once I agree with Osama, er, I mean Obama.
I'm sitting this one out. Someone will get my money eventually, but there's no need to go bonkers over this now.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:36 pm

so sorry wrote:I heard Barack Obama say that HE didn't support the HD War from the beginning...

And for once I agree with Osama, er, I mean Obama.
I'm sitting this one out. Someone will get my money eventually, but there's no need to go bonkers over this now.

well, considering how poorly the whole format war has been handled, i wouldn't be surprised if George W Bush was behind the whole thing.

EFBR time yet?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:06 pm

i've gone and made this thread sticky so every red shirt n00b can now easily find it...

sticky with my love, of course.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:06 pm

I think the "war" has been blown out of proportion and it's made to sound like EVERYBODY is up in arms about HD discs. In actual fact, the number of HD disc users is still small and this doesn't affect that great amount of people. The majority of people couldn't give a shit, because the quality of their current DVDs is so good.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I think the "war" has been blown out of proportion and it's made to sound like EVERYBODY is up in arms about HD discs. In actual fact, the number of HD disc users is still small and this doesn't affect that great amount of people. The majority of people couldn't give a shit, because the quality of their current DVDs is so good.

co-sign.

with my love.

my sticky, sticky love.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheAllSeeingEye on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:14 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I think the "war" has been blown out of proportion and it's made to sound like EVERYBODY is up in arms about HD discs. In actual fact, the number of HD disc users is still small and this doesn't affect that great amount of people. The majority of people couldn't give a shit, because the quality of their current DVDs is so good.

The only "war" that's going on is a corporate one. You're right, the majority of people are happy to hang back and wait and see what the future brings; DVD meets the requirements of the majority still. The only people involved in this so called war are people like Bill Hunt who happen to have an over inflated opinion of their own expertise and are pitching a flag with one particular company.

I can see the angle he's taking re: Microsoft, but I never hear him complaining about Sony's hand in all of this; he makes them sound whiter than white and that's just not true. It takes two to tango and both Toshiba and Sony have played a part in letting this fiasco get so far; I wouldn't mind if Bill had simply made the point that the "war" was going to drag on even further but he didn't. He used his podium to spout even more anti-hddvd rhetoric while at the same time trying to make himself NOT sound like a total tool for his remarks afew months ago.

There's no doubt Bill Hunt is an informed guy when it comes to home cinema which is why it's even more confusing that he'd take sides in such a pointless debate.
TheAllSeeingEye
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:58 pm

TheAllSeeingEye wrote:

The only "war" that's going on is a corporate one. You're right, the majority of people are happy to hang back and wait and see what the future brings; DVD meets the requirements of the majority still. The only people involved in this so called war are people like Bill Hunt who happen to have an over inflated opinion of their own expertise and are pitching a flag with one particular company.

I can see the angle he's taking re: Microsoft, but I never hear him complaining about Sony's hand in all of this; he makes them sound whiter than white and that's just not true. It takes two to tango and both Toshiba and Sony have played a part in letting this fiasco get so far; I wouldn't mind if Bill had simply made the point that the "war" was going to drag on even further but he didn't. He used his podium to spout even more anti-hddvd rhetoric while at the same time trying to make himself NOT sound like a total tool for his remarks afew months ago.

There's no doubt Bill Hunt is an informed guy when it comes to home cinema which is why it's even more confusing that he'd take sides in such a pointless debate.

Sony is anything but whiter than white. Think about all the mishaps theyve had PR wise. From rootkits to their urban marketing. You name it theyve done it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

3D BLU RAY... coming 2008

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:20 am

I've mostly been posting HD stuff in that EFBR thread that started on Harry's Toshiba pimping, but I thought this might interest people

http://tinyurl.com/2b78g2

http://tinyurl.com/2sl9f3

http://tinyurl.com/39u3na

I have only the vaguest idea of how this is achieved through interpolating space via the difference in each field of an interlaced image - and I think you would need a monitor of displaying a much higher frame rate than PAL standard 25 or 50i (more like 100 or 150 fps) but how cool would 3D BLU RAY be?

... and can they do this with games?
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:28 am

I don't see why you would need a higher frame rate
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:31 am

You do in IMAX 3d, and with either 50 or 60 psf in hd formats, it stands to reason. The articles provide some detail, so, read on.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:36 am

I did the only thing mentioned is that they were running it on DLP 120hz displays. Nothing in any of those articles states anything about frame rates.

Frame rates have nothing to do with 3D.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:40 am

My occasional problem with your comments is that they are negative, and only seek to deny someone else's contentions. You're not actually contributing to the discussion. Hold up there a minute and I'll provide a quote regarding frame rates, which you appear to have missed in you rush to put a dampener on my initial post... unless you actually have something to add.

edit: 'I think Blu-Ray might be promoted here for two reasons, the standard allows a higher constant bit rate because it's running at a far higher frame rate. I think most downloads are 24 & 25fps, to do the same, they need to encode 48 & 50 fps progressive to get the same effect as film, otherwise it will look like 12fps strobing. Doubling the data that needs to be encoded also means cutting the effective run time on a disc'

I may not have been specific about what meant by higher frame rates (I was talking, higher than film or standard digital), so thanks for the criticism Chairman. Anything to add? We could try schooling each other like we did with the rotoscoping thing...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:37 am

I thought your were stating they would need 100-150 FPS thus higher frame rates then HD already running at 48 or 50 etc.

I'm not always negative.

I still don't see that quote in any of the three links you provided. I can't very well be expected to read things that aren't there, can I?

The first link
High-definition video is already pretty damned realistic, but Mitsubishi is looking to make it even more realistic. How, you ask? By making it 3D, of course. And we aren't talking holograms or anything here, unfortunately. No, it's actually looking more to the past, requiring viewers to don 3D glasses straight out of the '80s.

Yes, that's what's up Mitsubishi's sleeve: 3D Blu-ray players. Now this won't just play special movies that were shot in 3D as we've seen in the past; no, they can actually make any 2D movie 3D on the fly, which is pretty cool. Even though I hate wearing 3D glasses and watching anything 3D for more than a half hour is a recipe for a headache, this is pretty neat tech. It'll be interesting to see how it works when it comes out. — Adam Frucci

2nd
We've seen a couple attempts at large-scale 3D displays that split DLP's 120Hz display rate into two 60Hz HD fields, but Mitsubishi is apparently showing off a slightly more advanced version of the technology at The Barclay's PGA Tour event, featuring 3D content on Blu-ray discs. According to CNET, the company showed off a Blu-ray system using a "massive" Dell desktop and a large DLP display that enabled viewers to watch commercials, movies, and sporting events in 3D using special stereoscopic glasses. The content had been shot in 3D from the get-go, but Mitsubishi says it's working on a Blu-ray player that will be able to turn standard 2D content into simulated 3D -- and that it'll be out early next year. The company also coyly hinted that it's talking to a "console manufacturer" about integrating the tech into a game system. We'll give you one guess as to who that might be.

3rd
Mitsubishi's trying to bring 3D to the home.
(Credit: news.com.au)

Along with a few other tech journalists, I spent a couple of hours today over at the Westchester Country Club, which is gearing up for The Barclays PGA Tour event. What the hell was I doing there? Well, as part of a marketing deal with the PGA Tour, Mitsubishi is the "official large outdoor video display provider" of the Tour, and the PR team wanted us to see some of these displays in action--along with the Tour's ShotLink technology, which tracks players' shots almost down to the centimeter (the info is then displayed on those giant Mitsubishi scoreboards). That's all sorts of interesting if you're a golf fan, but things got a little sexier when Mitsubishi representatives took us into a hospitality suite, handed us each a pair of fancy 3D glasses (a little smaller than the ones shown in the photo), and showed us a demo of some new 3D-imaging technology the company's working on.

The demo was run from a massive Dell desktop and output onto a large DLP set. In an effort to inject new life into the fading rear-projection category, the company's pitch was that the 3D technology worked with existing DLP TVs and projectors (due to DLP's native 120Hz refresh rate, which allows you to split it into 60/60 for 3D) but not with LCD and plasma displays.

Most of us were pretty impressed by the demo, which included clips from movies, commercials, and sporting events. There was real depth to the 3D, and you got that 3D-feeling of objects poking out at you from the screen. All the demo material had been shot in 3D, but the kicker to the whole presentation was that Mitsubishi apparently has a Blu-ray player in its labs that can convert existing 2D movies into 3D on the fly. Better yet, according to company representatives, it may be available early next year.

I'm pretty skeptical that the technology is going to show up anytime soon, and I have my doubts that converted 2D content is going to look all that great in 3D. But the 3D movement is gathering more momentum, as other companies such as Samsung and Philips continue working on ways to bring 3D into the home. Ideally, you wouldn't have to wear glasses (Philips is trying to integrate 3D right into the display), but I have a feeling you're only going to get a true Imax-like 3D experience with some eyewear.

While Mitsubishi wasn't ready to talk pricing, one would expect to pay a premium for a special-featured Blu-ray player. That said, Mitsubishi hinted that it was in discussions with one game console manufacturer to integrate its 3D technology into the system. The Wii's not capable of such feats, and Microsoft's in the HD DVD camp, so one would have to assume it's Sony and the PS3.

I know, I know. It's all rampant conjecture. But eventually, HD and 2D just aren't going to cut it. We may be a few years away, but there's chatter out there. Anybody out there itching for 3D at home?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:47 am

I didn't say you were always negative, did I?

It's in the comments of the endagetHD article, Chairman. This is the second time you've essentially suggested You know better than I, without giving any reason why, or offering an alternative explanation. I have no idea why, and would be surprised if you choose to expand upon you motives.
I really just posted this because I thought people would be interested, I'm pretty sure it's the first time 3D HD for home entertainment has ever been brought up in the Zone. I'm going to stay off this topic to avoid your attitude.

I'll just ask once more - did you actually have anything at all to contribute?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:57 am

Where

There are 16 comments there and none of them contain that quote. I want to know why you expect me to see something that isn't there. I never said I know better than you. Your the one hypothesizing it would "need" 100-150 frames per second when nothing in those three articles states anything of the sort.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:00 am

I want to know why you consider me to be under examination here for making a contribution to a thread... while you still appear to have nothing to offer to the discussion.

You could, of course, pm me rather than cluttering this thread up with your off-topic ramblings.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:03 am

Who said you are under examination?

I wanted to know why you thought -->("I think you would need a monitor of displaying a much higher frame rate than PAL standard 25 or 50i (more like 100 or 150 fps)") based on the links you posted. ie Did you get this information somewhere else?
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:04 am

looks like its time for another round of the Zone of Thunderdome, "two geeks enter, one geek leaves."

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:06 am

This is after the part where I said that I have 'only the vaguest idea of how this is achieved'?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:09 am

Ahhh I thought you were referencing that from somewhere.

So when I don't see that in the article I posted
Chairman Kaga wrote:I don't see why you would need a higher frame rate
meaning I don't see, based on those links, why you* would need a higher frame rate.

I wasn't being pissy or picking a fight or anything I was being honest.

*you in the editorial sense not you specifically tapehead.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:13 am

As it happens, I had an inclination it might have involved similar tech to the 3d for hd cinema that Jim Cameron has discussed, in articles such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/3bqtw7

He calls it 'Stereo optics, there's quite a bit of info on it if you're interested in looking for yourself, and it involves projection at radically higher frame rates, like the ones i mentioned.

Perhaps you can share your knowledge on the subject.
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:13 am

bottom line, guys, for us who don't have a background in this stuff, how many years, ballpark, before we see 3-D players and the TV's that can handle it?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:16 am

The Mitsubishi articles I posted mention a release in 2008, I don't know how realistic that is.

@ Kaga - I might just be reading you posts wrong - I'm more inclined to discussion in a conversational mode than the way you seem to confront things.
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:19 am

is this stuff at all on the same path towards holographic tv's/projectors?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray