W0W!1! SCIENC3!1! Blu-Ray FTW!

Betamax and beyond

How will you be watching movies in the future?

DVD?
8
11%
HD-DVD?
10
13%
Blu-Ray?
38
51%
EVD?
1
1%
Holographic Optical Recording Technology?
3
4%
OLDSCHOOL BABY! Betamax/VHS?
2
3%
Projected onto your eyelids by your new 3D magic-movie eye?
2
3%
In the gorram CINEMA, all this tech costs tooo much........
11
15%
 
Total votes : 75

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:27 pm

vicious_bastard wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I also doubt that there’s anything really worth watching that truly warrants full HD resolution.


Porn?


They are saying that the "stars" ware having to get even more "work done" to cover up their blemishes. Yay to women who look like dolls =/.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:32 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
vicious_bastar d wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I also doubt that there’s anything really worth watching that truly warrants full HD resolution.


Porn?


They are saying that the "stars" ware having to get even more "work done" to cover up their blemishes. Yay to women who look like dolls =/.


the CGI cost to cover up all those breast implant scars alone would dwarf the budget of Transformers.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19178
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Postby vicious_bastard on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:38 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:[q uote="vicious_bastar d"]
Fried Gold wrote:I also doubt that there’s anything really worth watching that truly warrants full HD resolution.


Porn?


They are saying that the "stars" ware having to get even more "work done" to cover up their blemishes. Yay to women who look like dolls =/.


the CGI cost to cover up all those breast implant scars alone would dwarf the budget of Transformers.[/quote]

Richard Keys off of UK Sky Sports recently had to have his famously hairy hands lasered, thanks to HD making them look EVEN more disgustingly hairy.
User avatar
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2215
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: London

Postby minstrel on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:43 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I also doubt that there’s anything really worth watching that truly warrants full HD resolution.


Hockey. Small pucks moving really fast. HD helps a lot.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
User avatar
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency
 
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Area 52

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:02 pm

Deathlok2001 wrote:Many of SONYS products in the past forced the consumer to use proprietary products. For example, on SONYS digital cameras, you have to use SONYS memory sticks ( which cost more). You can use a non SONY memory stick, but it will have a higher prob of failure. WTF?

I like choice!


I like choice, too.
That's why I've bought SanDisk memory sticks for my Sony products. They're far less expensive, and I've never had any problems with them.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Postby Deathlok2001 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:11 pm

TheBaxter wrote:it's amusing that somebody who's so opposed to proprietary technologies would be an Apple/Mac evangelist.


But that is the reason Macs work so well. Apple carefully controls everything that goes inside. Most times, the apple equivalent is superior to whatever else is out there, so I happily choose APPLE! Why should I support the evil empire? ( at least when it comes to computers) I will say that M$ makes good hardware, but really crappy software.
Deathlok2001
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:55 am

Postby junesquad on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:13 pm

Deathlok2001 wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:it's amusing that somebody who's so opposed to proprietary technologies would be an Apple/Mac evangelist.


But that is the reason Macs work so well. Apple carefully controls everything that goes inside. Most times, the apple equivalent is superior to whatever else is out there, so I happily choose APPLE! Why should I support the evil empire? ( at least when it comes to computers) I will say that M$ makes good hardware, but really crappy software.


I love Mac! I am a proud Mac supporter.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:21 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:HD and the switch off have nothing to do with eachother.

The switchoff means that all channels have to be broadcast digitally. Which means a cable box or converter. NOt that they are only broadcasting HD.


True, but the manufacturers aren't going to tell you that. Every set sold after March 1 of this year is supposed to have a digital tuner in it, but next year they're going to use the switch-off to get you to spend $500 on upgrading instead of just $50 on a converter box. I'm saying to use that to your advantage to get everything you want out of them.


Changing directions, has anyone seen or heard anything about Panasonic's combo player?
Image
User avatar
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am
Location: Northern Frontier

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:53 am

Deathlok2001 wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:it's amusing that somebody who's so opposed to proprietary technologies would be an Apple/Mac evangelist.


But that is the reason Macs work so well. Apple carefully controls everything that goes inside. Most times, the apple equivalent is superior to whatever else is out there, so I happily choose APPLE! Why should I support the evil empire? ( at least when it comes to computers) I will say that M$ makes good hardware, but really crappy software.


a sony evangelist could say the same thing if they wanted. apple has plenty of "evil empire" tendencies themselves (tried getting an ipod battery replaced recently, or an iphone battery, or use an iphone with anyone other than at&t). the point is, you can't criticize one company for being heavily proprietary, then turn around and praise another for the exact same thing. if you dislike sony because you think their quality is poor and apple quality is good, that's one thing, but obviously if you're a mac evangelist than proprietary techs, in and of themselves, don't really bother you as much as you say.

also, if microsoft bothers you, there's also a little thing out there called linux...
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19178
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:28 am

Call me nostalgic or whatever, but I still think that a film projection system in a cinema is the "superior format". That said, I'll be in a city with a 3D IMAX theatre early December, so BEOWULF may change my mind.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
User avatar
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:46 am
Location: the Local Shop

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:33 am

You have one of those in your house?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:36 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:You have one of those in your house?


You don't? And you call yourself a film nerd.

:wink:
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

my commitment

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:36 pm

Yesterday I ordered my HD-DVD player. $179 thanks to a link on the main page of AICN. For myself - it was singularly deciding to purchase the BLADE RUNNER 5 DVD set. I know I don't want to buy it twice, especially not in standard definition, so I had to commit. I chose HD-DVD. Here's why:

Money talks. The "sale" price for BLU RAY at $399 spoke the loudest to me and I'm sure the majority of consumers. Sony screwed up once again with their greed, although Microsoft is just as greedy, they are smarter about it and most importantly - have the deep deep pockets to take heavy losses now so they can reap the reward$ later.

In my opinion, the price this Xmas will end the High definition debate. Microsoft wins. HD-DVD will quickly surpass Blu-Ray from now till December. Consumers would rather save $200 now than get 7-9 gigs more quality later.

The 11 free DVD's total will ease my passing into the HD realm (especially since 3 of them will by HD Kubrick discs). I've had a 30" LCD for 2 years, but this is my first step into the BLU RAY HD-DVD fray.

Anyone agree or disagree?
User avatar
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Hollywood, Ohio USA

Postby tapehead on Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:42 pm

I'm choosing blu-ray, as it's the superior format. But I'm also willing to wait. For me it's going to be a full upgrade, a whole home theatre, and, like you, the decision is based on finances - but where you've gone for what seems like a pretty sweet deal, I do a lot of encoding and editing in my work, which I guess has made me a bit of a HD snob; willing to wait to get what I want. It might even be a PS3 in the coming year.

SD tv is still adequate for my home viewing purposes. The tv will come first, and I'll pick something that will allow me to view HD content before I spring for one of the players anyway.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:21 pm

i'm choosing...
















































...to wait another year :-(

stupid frakkin format war. i hope those bastards know how much money they're losing because of this.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19178
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:27 pm

Apparently not much since both formats seem to only be gaining ground. I'm more concerned with the idea that neither will fail and CD and DVD may be the last unified media formats we ever see. If they both continue with sustainable numbers the studios will see no reason to create an international standard again in either hard copy or downloads. Wait until every studio has their own proprietary download/streaming format that's when the real fun starts.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:59 pm

Without a doubt BLU RAY is technically better in virtually every way. Better resolutions, bit rates, etc. But the studios go where the money is. If (and that is the key word "if") HD-DVD takes off by a much higher percentage this Xmas, we could see some people jump ship from BLU RAY because the market saturation may out weigh a loyalty to Sony and even superior quality.

Betamax was much better than VHS....

So far, I do not trust a single source reporting on which format is outselling the other since they are both reporting that they are winning the format war.

I would have waited - but single handedly - I want Blade Runner in HD. I don't want to have to buy it twice. That is not a movie that SD will represent well...
User avatar
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Hollywood, Ohio USA

Postby tapehead on Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:15 am

Sure - but there are already players capable of playing both, so it seems to me now the most likely winners will be cheap Asian and European producers of multi-format player machines. My korean player will play mpeg 1,2 and 4, dvds of any region, real player, wmv files, cds, display most image formate and so on, and so on, all off disc or memory card. I have a friend with non-propriety software on his xbox 360 which does the same, HD content from his server. Eventually the HD formats will end up on the same kind of end-user platforms.

Tech geeks, one.
Multinationals, zero.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:41 am

Mori chooses Blu-Ray

Pretty nice write up...
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15663
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:49 am

It doesn't sound like he prefers one format over the other, simply he found one format on sale with a bunch of freebies and ended up liking what he saw.

I'm sure both formats have their strengths, but I'm not delving into either of them until I have to (or there's a third better alternative). I'm perfectly fine with my DVD player and my regular old TV. Some people are still on VHS, so I'm not in any hurry.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby papalazeru on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:21 am

I'm with Tape on this. I'm waiting. Need a good TV first. And that has to be a plasma for me.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:27 am

Shame he had to get Sony's devil box but it was a good deal.

I could even be tempted by something filthy from the bowels of Sony if the right deal came along.

HD-DVD players were only $100 at Wal-Mart a while back. And the 360 usually has good deals on the HD-DVD drive with free movies. A similar type of package only cheaper. And better.

I fear I will be on DVD's even after a format finally takes over. They aren't like VHS was. DVD's still look great.
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Destroying Sony Headquarters in Japan

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:34 am

I can't believe that MS didn't integrate an HD drive into the 360 Elite.

Has anyone seen a reason why they didn't? It would have looked even better against the PS3 if it could play an HD disc out of the box.
User avatar
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:47 am
Location: nodnoL

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:37 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:I can't believe that MS didn't integrate an HD drive into the 360 Elite.

Has anyone seen a reason why they didn't? It would have looked even better against the PS3 if it could play an HD disc out of the box.


Because then the price would have to be raised and would be OHMYGOOOOD!!!!! on par with the PS3.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 12145
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:40 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:I can't believe that MS didn't integrate an HD drive into the 360 Elite.

Has anyone seen a reason why they didn't? It would have looked even better against the PS3 if it could play an HD disc out of the box.


Because the price would have been jacked up. PS3 sales have given Sony the bad credit they deserve. They just assumed everyone would by up their pricey console because a bunch of frat guys played GTA and Madden on the PS2. But because of Blu-Ray it costs much much more.

MS did the right thing giving the consumer the option to buy it. Not everyone wants an HD-DVD player. Not everyone cares. So it is more affordable.

*Yea like Fievel said, only he was being too nice.
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Destroying Sony Headquarters in Japan

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:42 am

Fievel wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:I can't believe that MS didn't integrate an HD drive into the 360 Elite.

Has anyone seen a reason why they didn't? It would have looked even better against the PS3 if it could play an HD disc out of the box.


Because then the price would have to be raised and would be OHMYGOOOOD!!!!! on par with the PS3.


That was my guess, but at the moment MS lose ground in direct cometition cause Sony fans will just point this fact out!

I have a 1080 ready TV and may have some disposable income soon. I like the look of the 360, and know more people with one, but will have a hard time persuading SWMBO that we'd have to pay extra to watch HD movies.

Plus in the UK, the HDMI 360 Elite is the same price as the 40GB PS3 anyway!
User avatar
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:47 am
Location: nodnoL

Postby Fawst on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:43 am

RogueScribner wrote:It doesn't sound like he prefers one format over the other, simply he found one format on sale with a bunch of freebies and ended up liking what he saw.


There was a very biting tone to that post of his, and I liked that. I like that he kinda just went out there and spoofed Harry's blabbering by saying "I've chosen a Blu-Ray player for now, because I AM getting an HD-DVD player at some point, and the only reason I did so is because I got a shit ton of BD films for buying a PS3, and now I can play some games, too."

Meanwhile, Harry... well, I'll leave it for the EFBR. But Mori's very much putting it out there that this doesn't have to be a popularity contest, with people choosing sides. It's out there, he got a great bargain, he acted on it... *shrug* I would have absolutely done the same thing if I had the money :)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
User avatar
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: MacLaren's

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:44 am

godzillasushi wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:I can't believe that MS didn't integrate an HD drive into the 360 Elite.

Has anyone seen a reason why they didn't? It would have looked even better against the PS3 if it could play an HD disc out of the box.


Because the price would have been jacked up. PS3 sales have given Sony the bad credit they deserve. They just assumed everyone would by up their pricey console because a bunch of frat guys played GTA and Madden on the PS2. But because of Blu-Ray it costs much much more.

MS did the right thing giving the consumer the option to buy it. Not everyone wants an HD-DVD player. Not everyone cares. So it is more affordable.

*Yea like Fievel said, only he was being too nice.


But that why I specifically mentioned the Elite model. User were already paying more for an HDMI enabled option. If people are paying more anyway...
User avatar
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:47 am
Location: nodnoL

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:47 am

Playing Mass Effect on 360 can be described as playing a first rate PC game on a system that can allmost handle it. You can really tell where they had to cut down things to make it on to a single DVD. Also, with no HD install the games has frequent annoying loading screens.

I wonder what it wouldve been like with an HD sized disk?
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:50 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:
Fievel wrote:
Cee BeeUK wrote:I can't believe that MS didn't integrate an HD drive into the 360 Elite.

Has anyone seen a reason why they didn't? It would have looked even better against the PS3 if it could play an HD disc out of the box.


Because then the price would have to be raised and would be OHMYGOOOOD!!!!! on par with the PS3.


That was my guess, but at the moment MS lose ground in direct cometition cause Sony fans will just point this fact out!

I have a 1080 ready TV and may have some disposable income soon. I like the look of the 360, and know more people with one, but will have a hard time persuading SWMBO that we'd have to pay extra to watch HD movies.

Plus in the UK, the HDMI 360 Elite is the same price as the 40GB PS3 anyway!


Yes but I think all the 360's have HDMI now...not that has anything to do with anything. But you wouldn't have to get an Elite. Save some cash...

But Sony loses ground in every other category. Game selection and support, exclusives, Live. Backwards compatibility is done by emulation so you don't need to buy a console with built in PS2 hardware which also costs something. 360 controllers rumble, what more do you want? Did you know the PS3 controllers didn't have rumble when it was released? How rediculous is that!

Anyway, your making a point from 4 years ago when that was the assumption. That MS actually wouldn't have a foot on Sony because Sony was offering Blu-Ray. NOW, it's the opposite. Forcing Blu-Ray has hurt it and the competition gained an advantage.
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Destroying Sony Headquarters in Japan

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:53 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Playing Mass Effect on 360 can be described as playing a first rate PC game on a system that can allmost handle it. You can really tell where they had to cut down things to make it on to a single DVD. Also, with no HD install the games has frequent annoying loading screens.

I wonder what it wouldve been like with an HD sized disk?


And this might be the only flaw with not having a next-gen format. In fact, this is the biggest deal of all is capacity. But how many games are a Mass Effect type of game? I mean, there are some huge games out there that managed to fit on a disc. The developers could easily put it on two discs. Which consfuses me a bit as to why they didn't. But you have the only valid point against the console in that HD-DVD's could have held a whole lot more.
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Destroying Sony Headquarters in Japan

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:58 am

godzillasushi wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:
Fievel wrote:
Cee BeeUK wrote:I can't believe that MS didn't integrate an HD drive into the 360 Elite.

Has anyone seen a reason why they didn't? It would have looked even better against the PS3 if it could play an HD disc out of the box.


Because then the price would have to be raised and would be OHMYGOOOOD!!!!! on par with the PS3.


That was my guess, but at the moment MS lose ground in direct cometition cause Sony fans will just point this fact out!

I have a 1080 ready TV and may have some disposable income soon. I like the look of the 360, and know more people with one, but will have a hard time persuading SWMBO that we'd have to pay extra to watch HD movies.

Plus in the UK, the HDMI 360 Elite is the same price as the 40GB PS3 anyway!


Yes but I think all the 360's have HDMI now...not that has anything to do with anything. But you wouldn't have to get an Elite. Save some cash...

But Sony loses ground in every other category. Game selection and support, exclusives, Live. Backwards compatibility is done by emulation so you don't need to buy a console with built in PS2 hardware which also costs something. 360 controllers rumble, what more do you want? Did you know the PS3 controllers didn't have rumble when it was released? How rediculous is that!

Anyway, your making a point from 4 years ago when that was the assumption. That MS actually wouldn't have a foot on Sony because Sony was offering Blu-Ray. NOW, it's the opposite. Forcing Blu-Ray has hurt it and the competition gained an advantage.


My point is purely that at the moment £300 gets me:
  • a PS3 that plays HD games and HD films
  • an Xbox 360 that plays HD games
If I want to watch HD films it costs another £100 and that makes Sony look cheaper.[/list]

I have no axe to grind, or format to champion.

I don't really like consoles, but I have a kick arse telly and want to watch HD films and play HD games on it. Therefore, up front, Sony is the better option. Personally I'd rather not give Sony or MS more money, but they are the two options as they are cheaper than upgrading my PC again.

Of the two, I prefer the xbox as I know far more people that I could play against.

Edit: plus the external drive looks goofy and doesn't really fit with the image as the center of a home entertainment system!
User avatar
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:47 am
Location: nodnoL

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:06 am

godzillasushi wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Playing Mass Effect on 360 can be described as playing a first rate PC game on a system that can allmost handle it. You can really tell where they had to cut down things to make it on to a single DVD. Also, with no HD install the games has frequent annoying loading screens.

I wonder what it wouldve been like with an HD sized disk?


And this might be the only flaw with not having a next-gen format. In fact, this is the biggest deal of all is capacity. But how many games are a Mass Effect type of game? I mean, there are some huge games out there that managed to fit on a disc. The developers could easily put it on two discs. Which consfuses me a bit as to why they didn't. But you have the only valid point against the console in that HD-DVD's could have held a whole lot more.


Yeah it pisses me off they didnt go to 2 discs, but ahh well. It's a huge game and i can put up with the quirks because the other aspects are just so fn good.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:14 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:
Fievel wrote:
Cee BeeUK wrote:I can't believe that MS didn't integrate an HD drive into the 360 Elite.

Has anyone seen a reason why they didn't? It would have looked even better against the PS3 if it could play an HD disc out of the box.


Because then the price would have to be raised and would be OHMYGOOOOD!!!!! on par with the PS3.


That was my guess, but at the moment MS lose ground in direct cometition cause Sony fans will just point this fact out!

I have a 1080 ready TV and may have some disposable income soon. I like the look of the 360, and know more people with one, but will have a hard time persuading SWMBO that we'd have to pay extra to watch HD movies.

Plus in the UK, the HDMI 360 Elite is the same price as the 40GB PS3 anyway!


Yes but I think all the 360's have HDMI now...not that has anything to do with anything. But you wouldn't have to get an Elite. Save some cash...

But Sony loses ground in every other category. Game selection and support, exclusives, Live. Backwards compatibility is done by emulation so you don't need to buy a console with built in PS2 hardware which also costs something. 360 controllers rumble, what more do you want? Did you know the PS3 controllers didn't have rumble when it was released? How rediculous is that!

Anyway, your making a point from 4 years ago when that was the assumption. That MS actually wouldn't have a foot on Sony because Sony was offering Blu-Ray. NOW, it's the opposite. Forcing Blu-Ray has hurt it and the competition gained an advantage.


My point is purely that at the moment £300 gets me:
  • a PS3 that plays HD games and HD films
  • an Xbox 360 that plays HD games
If I want to watch HD films it costs another £100 and that makes Sony look cheaper.[/list]

I have no axe to grind, or format to champion.

I don't really like consoles, but I have a kick arse telly and want to watch HD films and play HD games on it. Therefore, up front, Sony is the better option. Personally I'd rather not give Sony or MS more money, but they are the two options as they are cheaper than upgrading my PC again.

Of the two, I prefer the xbox as I know far more people that I could play against.

Edit: plus the external drive looks goofy and doesn't really fit with the image as the center of a home entertainment system!


And what happens if Blu-Ray doesn't come out of it? Your stuck with a PS3 and 3 decent games. Your out a lot of money.

Meanwhile, the HD-DVD drive you bought for $150 is the winner.

And if HD-DVD didn't win out, most people didn't buy it for that so it doesn't matter. You still have something that does everything.

I know you'd like to justify it but when you look at what it will cost you in the long run, why not get something cheaper since you don't care for the games so much? And if you ever did want to play anything, you'd have the option to play with everyone you knew. Beats being stuck with Conan.

The external drive doesn't look goofy btw :lol:
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Destroying Sony Headquarters in Japan

Postby CeeBeeUK on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:22 am

godzillasushi wrote:Other quotes snipped for space...

And what happens if Blu-Ray doesn't come out of it? Your stuck with a PS3 and 3 decent games. Your out a lot of money.

Meanwhile, the HD-DVD drive you bought for $150 is the winner.

And if HD-DVD didn't win out, most people didn't buy it for that so it doesn't matter. You still have something that does everything.

I know you'd like to justify it but when you look at what it will cost you in the long run, why not get something cheaper since you don't care for the games so much? And if you ever did want to play anything, you'd have the option to play with everyone you knew. Beats being stuck with Conan.

The external drive doesn't look goofy btw :lol:


Xbox world wrote:See what makes Xbox 360 the centre of your home entertainment world


The center of my home entertainment world would have an integrated drive, not dangling off on a separate cable!

Vistor : Oooh, what's that under the TV?

Me: My Xbox, the center of my home entertainment system.

Visitor: Whats that box 6 inches to it's right?

Me: Oh, the HD-DVD player? It's the 6 inches to the right of my entertainment system!


:D
Last edited by CeeBeeUK on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:47 am
Location: nodnoL

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:23 am

Hey Sushi, you should add to your Custom Rank "on DVD and BluRay Dec. 11" ;)
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Fawst on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:29 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:Hey Sushi, you should add to your Custom Rank "on DVD and BluRay Dec. 11" ;)


And that would be the disc that puts me over into the BluRay camp. I want Lost in HD. Badly. You know, I'm gonna have to go out tonight to the store and see if I can't get credit enough to buy an HD set finally...

Would be an AWESOME Christmas surprise for the fiancee.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
User avatar
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: MacLaren's

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:31 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:The center of my home entertainment world would have an integrated drive, not dangling off on a separate cable!

Vistor : Oooh, what's that under the TV?

Me: My Xbox, the center of my home entertainment system.

Visitor: Whats that box 6 inches to it's right?

Me: Oh, the HD-DVD player? It's the 6 inches to the right of my entertainment system!


:D


How dare you snip the 20 quote boxes we had. Those were ours. We shared them together. :P :-P

CeeBee: Hey, check out my new PS3.

Vistor: Wow, it's, big. What does it do?

CeeBee: It play's Blu-Ray movies.

Vistor: You mean the ones they stopped making a few years ago?

CeeBee: Yup. I can watch Spider-Man 3 over and over now.

Vistor: Was that a good movie?

CeeBee: Not really but I didn't get an HD-DVD player so now I'm stuck with it.

Vistor: Any good games?

CeeBee: Conan!

Vistor: Is that it?

CeeBee: Conan!

Vistor: Okay. So, sounds like you enjoy it then.

CeeBee: Yup, I get to watch extinct Blu-Ray movies and play Gran Turismo 3. YAY!

stereosforgeeks wrote:Hey Sushi, you should add to your Custom Rank "on DVD and BluRay Dec. 11"


Shhhhh!!!!!

Yes yes, I was expecting someone to finally mention that. I'm only adverstising the DVD version. :wink:


Fawst wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Hey Sushi, you should add to your Custom Rank "on DVD and BluRay Dec. 11" ;)


And that would be the disc that puts me over into the BluRay camp. I want Lost in HD. Badly. You know, I'm gonna have to go out tonight to the store and see if I can't get credit enough to buy an HD set finally...

Would be an AWESOME Christmas surprise for the fiancee.


NOOOOO!!!!

Normally I would say HD looks better but with the Lost DVD's the transfers are perfect. You know this. The DVD's are awesome. S1-2 are great looking.
Last edited by godzillasushi on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Destroying Sony Headquarters in Japan

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:33 am

OMG! this format war... IT'S TEARING AICN APART!!!!!!!!
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19178
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:35 am

TheBaxter wrote:OMG! this format war... IT'S TEARING AICN APART!!!!!!!!


War's are never easy! :P

But hehehe, secretly, most of us don't care about the format. DVD's are just fine.
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Destroying Sony Headquarters in Japan

Postby Fawst on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:39 am

But sushi... the HD transfer is even BETTER. Every week I watch it in HD at my friend's house, and the DVDs, while gorgeous (I recently watched the first seven episodes again when housesitting for said friend), are not nearly as high quality as the HD presentation. If Lost went to HD-DVD, I would go with HD-DVD. For me, it's all about the content. But now I have to buy a PS3, because not only does it have the BRD drive, it also has God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, and... and... well, I'd say those are enough of a bonus to go along with a not-too-expensive player (never thought I'd say THAT about the PS3).
Prince of the Land of Stench!
User avatar
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: MacLaren's

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:41 am

i'm seriously considering buying an HD-DVD player. mainly because my current DVD player doesn't look that hot, so I'd be using it more as an upconverting DVD player, with an option to watch an occasional HD movie. Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD, don't really care, I'll just get what's cheapest, because if I'm primarily using it as an upconverter, i can't see spending $400-$500 for that.

however, no way am i buying any films in either format until this thing is settled. all the films i would want to buy, i already have on dvd. i'll just watch them that way until the war is over.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19178
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:50 am

Fawst wrote:But sushi... the HD transfer is even BETTER. Every week I watch it in HD at my friend's house, and the DVDs, while gorgeous (I recently watched the first seven episodes again when housesitting for said friend), are not nearly as high quality as the HD presentation. If Lost went to HD-DVD, I would go with HD-DVD. For me, it's all about the content. But now I have to buy a PS3, because not only does it have the BRD drive, it also has God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, and... and... well, I'd say those are enough of a bonus to go along with a not-too-expensive player (never thought I'd say THAT about the PS3).


:x

Then get a BRDD but don't get a PS3. You just listed three games. Do you want me to list the 360 games available right now. Not games coming next year but right now? I know I don't have to because you already know. But if your looking to get something like that why not get a cheap player instead of the console itself. Owning a PS3 has no visible advantage. Especially for you, since I know you have a 360 and play it quite a bit. They're bound to get players down to 100-150 dollars this year. Some store somewhere will try to make some sales.

TheBaxter wrote:however, no way am i buying any films in either format until this thing is settled. all the films i would want to buy, i already have on dvd. i'll just watch them that way until the war is over.


Exactly. Early adopters always get screwed over. iPhone owners can tell you all about it.
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Destroying Sony Headquarters in Japan

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:54 am

TheBaxter wrote:however, no way am i buying any films in either format until this thing is settled. all the films i would want to buy, i already have on dvd. i'll just watch them that way until the war is over.


Yeah that is pretty much my stance right now as well. I seriously want to start buying some HD content though!
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Postby Fawst on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:15 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Owning a PS3 has no visible advantage.


Again, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII and God of War 3. Two of my favorite franchises of all time, one of which is reportedly the final game in the series, and the sequel to one of the greatest action games ever made. I am powerless to resist.

That and the PS3 is the only BD 1.3 Spec-compliant player on the market, and the only one for quite a while. AND I DON'T HAVE A PS2 ANYMORE, so I need that backwards compatibility. So if I were to get a 150 BD player and a PS2, I'm not far from the cost of a PS3, AND I won't be able to play the newer games.

Even the Genesis was worth owning, at one point :)
Prince of the Land of Stench!
User avatar
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: MacLaren's

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:24 pm

Fawst wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Owning a PS3 has no visible advantage.


Again, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII and God of War 3. Two of my favorite franchises of all time, one of which is reportedly the final game in the series, and the sequel to one of the greatest action games ever made. I am powerless to resist.

That and the PS3 is the only BD 1.3 Spec-compliant player on the market, and the only one for quite a while. AND I DON'T HAVE A PS2 ANYMORE, so I need that backwards compatibility. So if I were to get a 150 BD player and a PS2, I'm not far from the cost of a PS3, AND I won't be able to play the newer games.

Even the Genesis was worth owning, at one point :)


That's low....real low.....

I don't even know wtf a BD 1.3 spec compliant space shuttle hydrofoil 3000 flux capacitor is! :lol:

They say it's the last one in the series to get people to buy it. Just hype. Useless hype. I like MGS as well. But I don't even think 4 looks that great. Everyone says MGS has a great story. It doesn't, just a very convoluted one.

*sigh*

Well, enjoy life on the dark side. :-P
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Destroying Sony Headquarters in Japan

Postby papalazeru on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:33 pm

Ouch! Harsh words there GS.

I found the story really enjoyable and fun. I havent' played Sons of Liberty but I had the first and second and I must admit that the 2nd one really let it down, there wasn't enough variationi between levels.

Still just about fun though.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Postby sonnyboo on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:44 pm

godzillasushi wrote:DVD's still look great.


Not on my 30" LCD screen....

However, my older 30" LCD does NOT have HDMI input - only component analog and DVI for PC's. I was terrified when the HDMI to DVI adapter did not work going from HD-DVD to DVI input on the TV.

Then I was blown away when the component analog signal detected a 1080i signal and processed it. I am absolutely floored by the quality difference and I am in love with HD-DVD. I don't "prefer" it to Blu-Ray, only I can afford HD-DVD and I can't afford a "cheap" $399 Blu-Ray player.

Because of the studios being exclusive to one format or the other, sooner or later the cheap multi players or devices (as Moriarty's article points out) that play HD media files get cheaper - this is the way I chose as a consumer with limited funds but desperate for HD content.
User avatar
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Hollywood, Ohio USA

Postby Fawst on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:45 pm

Sons of Liberty/Subsistence was AWESOME. The let-down in that game was that the "boss" characters were not fleshed out at all. They were very much just there. With a couple exceptions, but that's ok.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
User avatar
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: MacLaren's

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:24 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:however, no way am i buying any films in either format until this thing is settled. all the films i would want to buy, i already have on dvd. i'll just watch them that way until the war is over.


Yeah that is pretty much my stance right now as well. I seriously want to start buying some HD content though!


me too, but when i look at my DVD collection and see how many times I've been double-dipped, and sometimes even triple-dipped, already, i'm determined not to buy any movie if there's a chance i'll have to buy it all over again. i'm not even buying dvds now, i'm waiting til the format war is resolved so i can buy whatever i buy in an HD format. that means i haven't bought a dvd in over a year now, in the meantime i just rent what i want to watch on netflix or blockbuster.

i'm actually less worried about the player becoming obsolete, than about the media. we all know that a lot more money gets spent on the media than the player, no matter how much the player originally cost.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 19178
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron