W0W!1! SCIENC3!1! Blu-Ray FTW!

Betamax and beyond

How will you be watching movies in the future?

DVD?
11%
HD-DVD?
13%
Blu-Ray?
51%
EVD?
1%
Holographic Optical Recording Technology?
4%
OLDSCHOOL BABY! Betamax/VHS?
3%
Projected onto your eyelids by your new 3D magic-movie eye?
3%
In the gorram CINEMA, all this tech costs tooo much........
15%

Total votes : 75

Postby wonkabar on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:55 pm

tapehead wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
This doesn't even address the inherent difference between the appeal of downloading individual songs vs purchasing an album on CD which doesn't translate to film model....People aren't going to download a single scene or sequence of a movie to carry around with them instead of the whole movie.

The whole comparison of tracks versus albums doesn't come into this equation; the matter of individual episodes in a certain series might.

Yeah, I have Make Love not Warcraft & Chappelle's Black Bush episode....

too bad they're stuck in my 360
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:32 am

From a the Blade Runner thread, eh?

sonnyboo wrote:I'm afraid I have to purchase this now too. My HD-DVD's of the 5 disc set are the sole reason I bought an HD-DVD player.

Inna'teresting, eh? I wonder how many of a the other putzes outta there are inna the same boat, no? Anna what other titles, might a they be a the "seed" titles, eh? For a the peoples a to go out anna get inna'to a the HD or a the Blu-Ray just a to enna'joy a the specific film, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:53 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:From a the Blade Runner thread, eh?

sonnyboo wrote:I'm afraid I have to purchase this now too. My HD-DVD's of the 5 disc set are the sole reason I bought an HD-DVD player.

Inna'teresting, eh? I wonder how many of a the other putzes outta there are inna the same boat, no? Anna what other titles, might a they be a the "seed" titles, eh? For a the peoples a to go out anna get inna'to a the HD or a the Blu-Ray just a to enna'joy a the specific film, eh?

See thats good for HD, but not a specific format booster as it is available in Blu-ray as well.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:56 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:See thats good for HD, but not a specific format booster as it is available in Blu-ray as well.

True, true... but I was a thinking more along a the lines of a the putzes finally putting down a the money to buy *a* high definition format player, period, no? Finally making a the choice anna putting uppa anna shutting uppa, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:57 am

I think there will always be titles like that. It depends on the person what that dream title is that makes you finally dig yourself in to a format though.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:54 pm

i don't think it will affect the majority of people though, because all those titles are already available in standard DVD, and there aren't a whole lot of people who feel HD is enough of a an upgrade to buy a whole new player just to get double-dipped on an HD version of a film or tv series they already own.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:06 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i don't think it will affect the majority of people though, because all those titles are already available in standard DVD, and there aren't a whole lot of people who feel HD is enough of a an upgrade to buy a whole new player just to get double-dipped on an HD version of a film or tv series they already own.

True.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:56 pm

WHich a brings uppa the whole a different point, eh? It's a the "new world" outta there, inna the marketing of a the technology, no? Back a when a the DVD, she first a come out, it was a the obvious uppa'grade from a the videotape, no? A 'cos a the purely digital quality, she was a head anna shoulders better than anything that a you could achieve onna the analog system, eh? Much a like a the music CDs (yes, yes... alla you goddamn vinyl purists, the Dino, he hears a you).

But a like alla you young putzes with a your fancy computers anna such, you stop a buying a the CDs a 'cos a you can a just a copy or a download, the Dino, he sees a the same a thing, she's a gonna to happen with a the visual medium, no? It's a no secret that a lot of a you putzes, you download a the films onna the Bit Torrents anna you rent from a the Netflix anna copy onna'to a your computer, eh?

A so's, unna'like a the CDs where a you gotta the putzes saying "Holy crappa! You GOTTA to buy a the CD player a so's a you can a hear a the Dark Side of a the Goddamn Moon", we donna have a the situation where a there's a the "must buy" threshold, no? A 'cos a right now, iffa you wanna to watch a the high-definition content, you can a just a go out anna download a some torrent anna watch it onna you computer with a the fancy HD monitor, no? Putting off a the purchase of a the player for just a the 'nother day, eh?

Anna putting off a your commitment to either format, be it a the Blu-Ray or a the HD, as a well, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:48 am

TROUBLE IN PARADISE...

I just got a free copy of CHILDREN OF MEN on HD-DVD, and it does not play in my player. I was told to download the latest firmware update, so I got it current to the Dec 2007 version - still no joy. It says it's loading.... and it just keeps on loading.

Sending it back, even though it was free.....

Compatibility & this kind of shit is why WE as consumers are the real losers of this war.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:11 am

See. That's just firmware updates. I'm telling you folks a codec nightmare is on the horizon.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:35 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:See. That's just firmware updates. I'm telling you folks a codec nightmare is on the horizon.

Yeah, maybe so, but DRM is fucking people's shit up right now.

I still think this is the real problem with home entertainment and HD.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:22 am

There are plenty of movies out there already that I feel are "must-own," candidates.

The Fountain
Bladerunner
Batman Begins

Beyond that, off the top of my head, the ones that I think will put a lot of players in peoples homes would be...

Star Wars OT (PT won't do shit to increase player sales, sorry)
Akira
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jaws
Alien(s)
LOTR

As it stands, I just want a fucking HDTV. But, since I can't even get a car loan, that ain't happening any time soon :(
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:19 pm

tapehead wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:See. That's just firmware updates. I'm telling you folks a codec nightmare is on the horizon.

oooh, don't get me started on DRM.

DRM MAKES ME SO MAD!!!!!! OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! *shakes fist*

i won't even use iTunes because of that shit. give me something that i can buy once, and play everywhere, and i'll buy it. you know, like a CD.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Fawst wrote:Beyond that, off the top of my head, the ones that I think will put a lot of players in peoples homes would be...

I guarantee you that the prequel trilogy release would boost player sales.
Not only are there people that actually enjoy watching those three films....
But some people buy every version of every Star Wars film ever made.
And the release of the PT would show that the Original Trilogy isn't so far off from being released.
A.. "new hope" one could say.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Fievel wrote:
Fawst wrote:Beyond that, off the top of my head, the ones that I think will put a lot of players in peoples homes would be...

And the release of the PT would show that the Original Trilogy isn't so far off from being released.

:roll:
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:26 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fievel wrote:

Should I have served crackers with my cheese? :D
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Fievel wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fievel wrote:

Should I have served crackers with my cheese? :D

wine would have made it go down smoother.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:15 pm

next monday i'll probably pick up an hd-dvd player. this pains me because i really don't want to spend money on EITHER format until it's settled. also, i sorta lean towards blu-ray, and also think blu-ray is more likely to prevail in the (verrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy) long run.

but i really want an upconverting dvd player, and i may as well get one that can play a few HD movies as well. i have gift cards and coupons for best buy i need to use by the end of january, so that's sort of forcing my hand right now. and i can get the hd-dvd player for $200, vs $400 for blu-ray, so i'll only be out half as much money when my pick turns out to be the wrong one.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby wonkabar on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:15 pm

*cough*PS3*cough*
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:19 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
tapehead wrote:

i won't even use iTunes because of that shit. give me something that i can buy once, and play everywhere, and i'll buy it. you know, like a CD.

But circumventing iTunes DRM is so simple. Just burn a CD, voila.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:24 pm

wonkabar wrote:*cough*PS3*cough*

I scored the HD-DVD player for my xbox 360 this xmas....It is rather bad ass...especially since I can get 1080p through component...and with the price around $169.00...I found it to be a solid solution without pissing away too much cash.
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:34 pm

i can't see buying a gaming system just to watch movies. i don't play video games, so it would just be a glorified movie player for me. and it's $400 at BB, which is where i'm buying because of all the gift cards/coupons i have.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby wonkabar on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:39 pm

I got PS3.

It really is an awesome machine. Well put together and with so much potential.

My first impression was much more favorable than 360 last year. I got the "Uncharted" game and the graphics are truly breathtaking, a real leap forward.

It has a web-browser, DVD upconversion, the Blu-Ray is amazing. I also like that I can recharge my controller without having to buy a separate device/batteries. Bluetooth is nice. It's much more of an all around entertainment hub.

They're online looks like it's coming together now and best of all, it's free. I have no fear of impending RROD.

Dude, I've been one of the biggest Xbox fanboys around (check my posts from last year) but I'm telling y'all, now that PS3 is a reasonable price.....it's so worth every penny right now.... It just gives you SO much and there's some really great games on the way.

It's a solid purchase IMO...even if you're not into games. It really brings all media together in ways nothing else can. Listening to your music and watching YouTube on your TV is pretty damn cool.
Last edited by wonkabar on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:49 pm

PS3 is probably the "smartest" Blu-ray player you can get. When you compare the load times of films, this is the fastest of the bunch. 1+ minute load times of a film on "standard" players are not uncommon.

Baxter, you saw the news that Warners has gone Blu-ray-only, yes? It's not the absolute nail in the coffin for HD-DVD, but it's close. There are only two studios who fully support HD-DVD now, Universal and Paramount. The end of the format war is actually in sight!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Isn't there some problem with PS3 and the upcoming 1.1 firmware or something.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:52 pm

wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:53 pm

Not that I've heard of... I'd be surprised if that's the case. And why the hell are they even going to bother with 1.1, just go straight to 1.2 and be done with it. PS3 is the only player on the market right now that has that ability anyways. Take advantage of it.

No, wait, there's one other player, but it doesn't have the local storage, it gets by the space requirements through an SD-card slot. Which isn't really a "cheat," considering the spec says that the storage space doesn't have to be a local solution.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:53 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
tapehead wrote:

But circumventing iTunes DRM is so simple. Just burn a CD, voila.

How about Netflicks?
Last edited by tapehead on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:53 pm

Fawst wrote:PS3 is probably the "smartest" Blu-ray player you can get. When you compare the load times of films, this is the fastest of the bunch. 1+ minute load times of a film on "standard" players are not uncommon.

Baxter, you saw the news that Warners has gone Blu-ray-only, yes? It's not the absolute nail in the coffin for HD-DVD, but it's close. There are only two studios who fully support HD-DVD now, Universal and Paramount. The end of the format war is actually in sight!

nope, didn't see that. do you have a link? that might... MIGHT... be enough to sway me back towards blu.

EDIT: nevermind, i see wonka's link now.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby wonkabar on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:58 pm

Hopefully they pull all their HD-DVD titles from the shelves soon
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:04 pm

thank you warners for a) choosing a side, and b) doing it before i broke down and bought a player.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:09 pm

TheBaxter wrote:thank you warners for a) choosing a side, and b) doing it before i broke down and bought a player.

Close call, eh?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:19 pm

Shit.

I was saving up for a XBOX 360, so i guess that means i'm going a roundabout way into backing the loosing format.

Still, it's kinda nice to see Sony having a winning format on their hands, after countless years of failing.

I'm still sticking with regular old DVD, even once i get the 360.
There is no way i'm gonna be able to buy a whole new setup, just to watch the same movies with a slightly better picture & more channels of sound.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby wonkabar on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Fievel wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:thank you warners for a) choosing a side, and b) doing it before i broke down and bought a player.

Close call, eh?

Yeah, especially with all the Kubrick titles on WB.

What's awesome from the above link is that BD stand-alone players (in addition to software) are now outselling Toshiba players too. That pretty much does it.
As far as PS3, as Fawst and I have said already, it's a pretty damn good deal all around as it serves as a good entertainment-center and media-hub. It's like having a computer integrated with your television, even more so than the 360.

It's online service isn't quite as up to speed as LIVE (then again XBL has been hitting some bumps lately) but I foresee it getting there soon and again....browser & most of all... free.

Plus it's a quality DVD & Blu-Ray player. And yeah, the games are coming along too, both on PS-Network and there's bit more on the way than just first-person shooters etc.

Maybe you can tell...I'm pretty stoked on it

As far as the format war/which studio is next to go BD-exlusive....tough call. Universal has a bit of a relationship with Microsoft (MSNBC etc.) but Paramount signed a contract....loopholey/escape-clausey as all hell I'm sure, but still. Plus Dreamworks was bent as hell at them.

I'm guessing Universal goes next in a bid to win favor again with Spielberg, Bay etc. I also predict that Lucas announces SW for BD some time this year.

king_of_nowhere wrote:Shit.

I was saving up for a XBOX 360, so i guess that means i'm going a roundabout way into backing the loosing format.

Btw the 360, LIVE, & GOW are still a blast.

Just get a BD stand-alone in a few months when the price drops instead of that stupid HD-DVD add-on.

Oh, and don't forget, if you're planning to do LIVE wirelessly you'll have spend another 99 bucks for the wireless adapter thingie.

That was another cool thing with the PS3....wi-fi included.
Last edited by wonkabar on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:08 pm

So that we're down to just two of the Big Six left supporting HD-DVD. It's not looking good for it. Regardless of the cheap price of the players, if you the disc catalogues are non-existent it's certain to die.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:51 pm

Hollywood_Bob wrote:

I scored the HD-DVD player for my xbox 360 this xmas....It is rather bad ass...especially since I can get 1080p through component...and with the price around $169.00...I found it to be a solid solution without pissing away too much cash.

Crap.
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:01 pm

Hollywood_Bob wrote:
Hollywood_Bob wrote:

Crap.

:P Sorry Bob...now you know how countless Betamax purchasers felt.

On the upside, I'm now slightly less jealous of the bastards who got into BNAT! :D
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby King Psyz on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:05 pm

I wanted to pop in and gloat since I've been calling Blu Ray since CES two years ago and saw it for what it is and not for what the techblogs & fanboys make it out to be.

I have seen, and expect to see next week, enormous support for the BD format and really with two studios left this all but over.

They would have to have video footage of Blu Ray discs raping a bus full of nuns and then launching out of PS3 slots and decapitating todlers and puppies for this to turn around for HD-DVD.

Honestly, HD-DVD was a good placeholder tech considering ease of transition. But BD has so much more potential than HD-DVD. Plus MS is only backing HD-DVD to continue the format war to talk everyone going to downloadable content instead of physical media.

Honestly, I truly belive that this is the biggest sham ever to come accross the CE marketplace.

You think DRM was bad (now that it's all but dead) wait til you see what happens when you have nothing physical to show for your purchase price. You can't let your friend, sister, boyfriend, uncle, boss, ect borrow your download. You fry your HD, good luck getting them to give you another download without going through hoops. All this and considering the US has the most outdated and slow broadband network tells me this would be the worst choice for consumers.

Too many issues to tackle, and with studios so concearned over piracy, expect MS' downloads to be mired in bullshit. Be it intrusive DRM of some sort, bots, malware, or watermarks.

For all we know every movie will have the MS logo in the corner like they do on network broadcasts now.

BD makes the most sense right now, it's got support for one (and media companies are easing back on physical media DRM), it's got future potential as they're nowhere close to maxing out spec, it's got hardware support, and the alternatives like Holo discs are far too expensive and well out of any type of retail release anytime soon.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Vegeta on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:36 pm

Interesting points.

Also, good to see ya, King!
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:58 pm

It's gonna be a Blu Christmas this year!

Now I just need Criterion to announce Blu support and I can commence full foaming at the mouth.
Last edited by Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:54 am

what will be interesting is that as this hits the mainstream, i bet there'll be a slow in dvd sales overall until people have bluray players.

i know that i'm certainly going to curb my purchases... what's the point in buying something on dvd if i'm going to end up buying it in the next year or two on bluray.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:27 am

Bluebottle wrote:what will be interesting is that as this hits the mainstream, i bet there'll be a slow in dvd sales overall until people have bluray players.

i know that i'm certainly going to curb my purchases... what's the point in buying something on dvd if i'm going to end up buying it in the next year or two on bluray.

I think you are generously over estimating how fast some stuff will move to Blu-Ray. I'm willing to bet certain very odd and obscure titles may never show up on Blu-Ray though they may have had life on dvd at some point.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:38 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Now I just need Criterion to announce Blu support and I can commence full foaming at the mouth.

Seriously crossing my fingers!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby bluebottle on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:47 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:what will be interesting is that as this hits the mainstream, i bet there'll be a slow in dvd sales overall until people have bluray players.

I think you are generously over estimating how fast some stuff will move to Blu-Ray. I'm willing to bet certain very odd and obscure titles may never show up on Blu-Ray though they may have had life on dvd at some point.

fair enough, but there are a lot of titles coming out on dvd that i thought would never see the light of day.

i mean, FOR EXAMPLE do we really need Fletch on bluray? no. but will i buy the latest "jane doe edition" no... i'll wait until it's on bluray since i'm not in a rush to own it, but i would like it on the shelf eventually.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:16 am

king_of_nowhere wrote:
Still, it's kinda nice to see Sony having a winning format on their hands, after countless years of failing.

Not for me. At $399 at the LOW end of the price scale for BLURAY, Sony can kiss my ass.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fawst on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:22 am

Consider how long DVD has been available. Yah, it took a long time for some titles to get here, but they're here now. After the almostheartattack I got when I heard that Near Dark may be a "lost" film, I am insanely happy to see that it's now on DVD, but it took FOREVER to get here. Trust me, it'll take time, but once there's a clear winner in sight, they'll ramp up production of HD films. Unless the 3D-at-home format somehow takes off, which looks slim with the slow death of rear-projection sets, HD will be the format to have. Films are their bread and butter, they'll squeeze every penny they can out of us.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:26 pm

i've been putting off DVD purchases for 2 years already. and though this is great news for bluray and ultimately for the format war, it's not 100% over yet, and i won't be buying any bluray movies until the remaining 2 studios commit to bluray as well.

as for titles that may not show up on bluray ever: i have a bunch of HD movie channels, and some of the most incredible crap ever made gets shown on those channels in HD. a few examples i've seen or recorded in recent months - Enter The Ninja, Hard To Hold (the Rick Springfield movie), Loverboy (with McDreamy or McSteamy or whichever of those doctors from Grey's Anatomy was in that), tons of other stuff i can't think of right now. i'm pretty sure every movie that's on DVD will eventually be on BluRay too. they won't all look great, just like not all DVDs look great, but they'll be there.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:45 pm

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Zarles on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:29 pm

I was at Best Buy yesterday, and there was an opened Super-Blu player (the kind that plays both HDDVD and Blu-Ray) on the counter at the Returns desk where I was standing. I seriously gave thought to whether or not I could just grab it and get anywhere near the door.

I kinda HOPE this is the end of it. This "war" is getting rather annoying.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:02 pm

tapehead
BALLS!!!

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray