W0W!1! SCIENC3!1! Blu-Ray FTW!

Betamax and beyond

How will you be watching movies in the future?

DVD?
11%
HD-DVD?
13%
Blu-Ray?
51%
EVD?
1%
Holographic Optical Recording Technology?
4%
OLDSCHOOL BABY! Betamax/VHS?
3%
Projected onto your eyelids by your new 3D magic-movie eye?
3%
In the gorram CINEMA, all this tech costs tooo much........
15%

Total votes : 75

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:40 pm

Blu-ray triumphs at gadget show

"At the Blu-ray booth at CES, a prototype Panasonic player was showing an "Alien vs. Predator" movie in which the viewer can get involved by bringing up an on-screen gun, controlled by the remote, and shooting at monsters to score points."
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:04 pm

Fawst wrote:Sushi, the article I posted was about how it looked like Paramount was about to jump ship to BR exclusivity, so when you said "Well, HD-DVD still has Paramount," it seemed like you missed the point of my post which was "HD-DVD may not have Paramount very much longer." :D

But I'm always right.....

What?
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:08 pm

The PS3, as far as I know, supports DolbyTrueHD 7.1 but not the DTS-HD equivalents. It can output DTS-5.1 though. Which is a bit weak...like a Tesco Value DVD player.

Not enough emphasis is put on the importance of quality audio - the advertising iss all about the HD picture.

What we hear has the greater influence over what we see. You'll get loads more impact from installing a good quality surround system, than spending for a 150" plasma.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:23 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Blu-ray triumphs at gadget show

"At the Blu-ray booth at CES, a prototype Panasonic player was showing an "Alien vs. Predator" movie in which the viewer can get involved by bringing up an on-screen gun, controlled by the remote, and shooting at monsters to score points."

Didn't Elvis have that on his TV?
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Oh, all is well with the world. Harry says that Paramount isn't leaving HD-DVD for Blu-Ray. He accuses FT of rumor-mongering, he doesn't offer any sources whatsoever for why they "aren't" jumping ship, and he claims it as fact. I like Harry enough... sometimes... but he needs to set aside his personal stake in this HD game. Aside from already owning an HD-DVD player, he has nothing to lose by the format war ending. Why wouldn't he WANT that to happen?
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:53 pm

Fawst wrote:Oh, all is well with the world. Harry says that Paramount isn't leaving HD-DVD for Blu-Ray. He accuses FT of rumor-mongering, he doesn't offer any sources whatsoever for why they "aren't" jumping ship, and he claims it as fact. I like Grande Rojo enough... sometimes... but he needs to set aside his personal stake in this HD game. Aside from already owning an HD-DVD player, he has nothing to lose by the format war ending. Why wouldn't he WANT that to happen?

Someone finally put an end to your lies and anarchy! :lol:
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby vicious_bastard on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:03 pm

Fried Gold wrote:The PS3, as far as I know, supports DolbyTrueHD 7.1 but not the DTS-HD equivalents.

It can deal with TrueHD internally, but cannot output bitstream audio - it downconverts it to PCM. Far too confusing for the average punter which all this HD malarky is - a 480p DVD can be cheaply upconverted to 1080i, but most new TVs can de-interlace that signal to 1080p, so, why fork out for a pricey native 1080p player? But then what happens to the audio?!? It's a minefield, and having already had one leg blown off after buying an HD-DVD laptop, I'm waiting until it grows back before tramping through the digital undergrowth again.

Paramount have denied the FT article about them switching, which makes sense given the rumoured $150m Microsoft paid them to go HD-DVD exclusive. Still only a matter of time though.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Would it be wrong to turn your on-screen remote gun on yourself about halfway through having to watch that movie again?

;)
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:07 pm

Spifftacular SquirrelGirl wrote:

Would it be wrong to turn your on-screen remote gun on yourself about halfway through having to watch that movie again?

;)

Can this onscreen gun work in other movies like The English Patient or Xanadu?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:08 pm

According to engadget Paramount has "current plans" to continue support for HD-DVD.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:28 pm

Unless a studio jumps ship from Blu-Ray, HD-DVD's clock is ticking. Maybe someone will create a third option to please everyone.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:30 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Unless a studio jumps ship from Blu-Ray, HD-DVD's clock is ticking. Maybe someone will create a third option to please everyone.

There is already TotalHD and anything else at this point is just going to hinder adoption.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:34 pm

it doesn't matter whether Paramount continues to support HD-DVD. what matters is whether they'll go back to supporting BluRay. if they do, then that makes about 80-85% of content available to BR, vs 30% on HD-DVD, and there's no way HD-DVD can compete. according to Bill Hunt at digitalbits.com, Paramount is already planning to return to BluRay and is planning an announcement to that effect soon. sure it's still just a rumour (with reliable sources, according to BH), but let's look at history: Harry predicted HD-DVD would win; BH predicted BluRay would win. only one of them was right.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fawst on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:40 pm

TDB is a great site. They mentioned that they knew the Warner's announcement ahead of time. I couldn't help but wonder if they know something we don't about Paramount.

Also, they reported that the BDP (did I get that right?) is working on a plan to ease transition to Blu-Ray for people who have already purchased HD-DVD equipment. Pretty cool, actually.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Fawst wrote:TDB is a great site. They mentioned that they knew the Warner's announcement ahead of time. I couldn't help but wonder if they know something we don't about Paramount.

Also, they reported that the BDP (did I get that right?) is working on a plan to ease transition to Blu-Ray for people who have already purchased HD-DVD equipment. Pretty cool, actually.

BDA.

TDB reported that it would be a gesture of good faith and help ease the tension of wronged consumers. The overwhelming support of a plan like that overwhelmed them. I do not think anyone at BDA is planning this at the moment. Hopefully they do, however.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:53 pm

They also need to sucker HD-DVD people into buying yet more kit.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:52 pm

HD vs. Standard def Screen caps of LOTR. Stuff like this in stores are what will really sell the Blu Ray format to the masses.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:33 pm

tapehead wrote:HD vs. Standard def Screen caps of LOTR. Stuff like this in stores are what will really sell the Blu Ray format to the masses.

Wow... some of those comparisons didn't do so much for me, but the one of the Hobbits underneath the tree as the Nazgul is riding past... that one blew me away. The greens were almost animated in the HD version they're so vibrant. The close-up of Aragorn is much more detailed as well.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby tapehead on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:35 pm

I'm thinking of in-store demonstrations with SD and HD in side-by-side comparisons. If those images give just a slight idea of the difference that a casual viewer can see, then it will really 'move some units', as they say in the 'biz.

I think it's relevant to the discussion to remind people that 1080p (Blu Ray at it's best) has something like four times the amount of picture information per frame, as compared to standard def - 720i.

vicious_bastard wrote:I agree that neither format has any chance of overtaking DVD as the quality jump is nowhere near that of VHS to DVD. I read about an experiment recently which tested whether your Average Joe could tell the difference between 480p, 720p and 1080p on a 50 inch screen.

I'd love to see a source for this study or experiment that you're referring to here, VB, as it just doesn't seem right to me. Your absolutely right in stating the massive majority DVD currently enjoys though.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Zarles on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:55 pm

tapehead wrote:I'm thinking of in-store demonstrations with SD and HD in side-by-side comparisons.

I saw just that in Best Buy the other night. I need no convincing myself, but if it's not apparent just from that, then I don't know what's going to do it.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:08 pm

tapehead wrote:
vicious_bastard wrote:I agree that neither format has any chance of overtaking DVD as the quality jump is nowhere near that of VHS to DVD. I read about an experiment recently which tested whether your Average Joe could tell the difference between 480p, 720p and 1080p on a 50 inch screen.

I'd love to see a source for this study or experiment that you're referring to here, VB, as it just doesn't seem right to me. Your absolutely right in stating the massive majority DVD currently enjoys though.

I've read about some similar studies - one in a science magazine, the other was in What Hifi I think.

One of the studies was a simple "which looks better" and there wasn't a massive majority picking the full HD picture - most just looked for a clean image.

The other looked for the effect of being told "THIS IS the better quality picture". There was a bias on people who were told they were watching HD, rather than those who had to just decide for themselves.

While there's no doubt HD images are an improvement, a lot of people just don't feel the need for it.

I agree that better in-store demonstrations would be a good idea. Most of the electronics stores in the UK have one source connected up to twenty or thirty screens and as plasmas/LCDs are the best at showcasing SD pictures they look terrible.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:14 pm

yeah it's similar here - I see HD monitors connected via rca or svhs cables or 'chained' like you describe - it's just such a disservice to the products and tech. I always wonder how people fail to see the marked difference, but having said that, I admit I'm a big video snob.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:19 pm

tapehead wrote:HD vs. Standard def Screen caps of LOTR. Stuff like this in stores are what will really sell the Blu Ray format to the masses.

I looked at a few of those pics and other than some brightness/contrast differences, I didn't notice much of a difference at all. The jump from VHS to DVD was huge and I gladly took it. The jump from DVD to HD-DVD or Blu-ray? Not so much. And I doubt many people will make the jump until they can really experience the difference, which means a huge chunk of people would have to have HD TVs. I think we're a ways from that.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:57 am

If Blu-ray succumbs to downloading this is what we can do with our old players.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:40 am

RogueScribner wrote:

I looked at a few of those pics and other than some brightness/contrast differences, I didn't notice much of a difference at all. The jump from VHS to DVD was huge and I gladly took it. The jump from DVD to HD-DVD or Blu-ray? Not so much. And I doubt many people will make the jump until they can really experience the difference, which means a huge chunk of people would have to have HD TVs. I think we're a ways from that.

It would help f they opened larger.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:46 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:

It would help f they opened larger.

True - they're not actually the greatest examples in that regard, and it's hard to do an A / B of each. I've actually been looking for some better instances online.

this is a much better comparison - mouse over the images to see (the HD version are of course, 'downconverts', but if you click on the images you get them more to scale.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:13 am

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 pm

RogueScribner wrote:The jump from VHS to DVD was huge and I gladly took it. The jump from DVD to HD-DVD or Blu-ray? Not so much. And I doubt many people will make the jump until they can really experience the difference, which means a huge chunk of people would have to have HD TVs. I think we're a ways from that.

I'm sure I made a similar post somewhere in this thread, but I'd like to reiterate this point made by RS (and many others): I have an HD TV, but its going on 5 years old, and is shit compared to the stuff being offered now. When I buy my next one (hopefully in the next year), chances are I will not make the leap to BluRay/HD-DVD. My TV, regardless of what kind, is not placed in some perfect viewing arena. Its in my fucking living room, which has all sorts of lighting issues (windows, odd shape/viewing lanes, lamps etc).
Point is, I don't think I will ever truely see any difference between a HD-DVD and an "regular" unconverted DVD. And I think this goes for the VAST VAST VAST majority of consumers. My DVD library is safe, as is the DVD market as a whole. I think that the HD-DVD market will thrive, but will never overtake regular DVDs.
And don't get me started on this downloads-wave of the future shit!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fawst on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:16 pm

Bill Hunt @ TDB wrote:Well... we've had SOME confirmation this morning of the details of the Financial Times story from last night. While the studio isn't yet commenting, reliable industry sources are telling us that Paramount is indeed preparing to end their HD-DVD support and announce a return to the Blu-ray fold. Details are currently being finalized, and an announcement is expected as soon as they're complete. Paramount's first new Blu-rays will almost certainly include many of those titles that were cancelled last year, but that were already packaged and ready for shipping, so you could see them in stores very quickly once the studio announces.

Meanwhile, sources are telling us that Universal has also been talking with the BDA, and is looking to follow Paramount and Warner's lead as soon as possible.

On a related note, Times Online in the U.K. is now reporting that as many as 20 additional firms currently backing HD-DVD are also considering defection in the wake of Warner's Friday announcement, including Fujitsu, Lenovo, Kenwood and Pony Canyon (which is a major Japanese film and music studio).

What's more, word is starting to circulate at CES that major big box retailers will begin winding down in-store support for HD-DVD as soon as these studios go public with their decisions. We're told that the industry's major retail partners are already pressuring Paramount, DreamWorks and Universal to go Blu following Warner's decision.

Rumors are also beginning to circulate here that Apple's Steve Jobs may announce the addition of Blu-ray Disc drives to their Mac desktop lineup at next week's Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

We would caution you to keep in mind that all of this should be considered unofficial until the studios make their actual announcements. Things are moving very fast, and the situation is highly fluid. Still, it really looks like this is the end for HD-DVD, and the end of the format war overall. We'll keep you up to date with new developments as they break.

Stay tuned...

Source.

Heh, I'm starting to wonder if Harry's "Paramount isn't leaving HD-DVD" comment wasn't because of the spanking he took from Bill back when Harry endorsed HD-DVD. Not that Bill offers any solid leads there, but still.

Oh, and that mouseover site for the FOTR comparisons is pretty astounding. Gandalf and the map in particular. You can tell that the map you're looking at is a MAP, now. Some of those lines on the SD version looked like they were supposed to be drawn waves in the water or something. Also, the shadow detail difference is really drastic. It makes the image look so much more realistic.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:23 pm

The following all depends on when/if HD downloading becomes practical. Given the infrastructure...probably not for awhile IMO.

I think Blu-Ray could overtake or pull even with the DVD market, but it wont depend on the bump in quality, it'll depend on the library available and the price. When Blu-Ray players come down to a reasonable price, and if people can buy the dvd's for reasonable prices at their local Target or rent them easily on Netflix, people will begin to pick them up.

At $400 a pop....no fucking way. But the price will come down in time. When it reaches $150 or so it might begin to gain widespread acceptance, which should give time for: 1) more people to buy HD-TVs, which creates incentive to buy a higher end player, 2) current DVD players to wear out, 3) the library of available blu-ray titles to grow further, and to gain greater presence on the shelves of your local blockbuster.

Switching to blu-ray is the logical next step, but I don't think the masses will make that step until the above happens. How long will it take? I don't know. 2 years? 5 years? Beats me. The process would be expedited if one or more studios began releasing films in blu-ray format ONLY...but I don't see that ever happening, there's no real incentive.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby digideus on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:21 pm

Two things...

1. Microsoft arent likely to drop HD-DVD, rather they will enforce its usage on PCs for data, which will mean the format war isnt over...yet!

2. If the industry goes Blu-Ray, are they going to include support for Standard DVDs? I heard they dont have to, which may backfire because I cant see everyone who has a DVD collection buying a new player AND reinvesting a lot of cash to replace DVDs for their Blu-Ray counterparts!

Any word on how long standard DVD has to live now?
digideus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:30 pm

digideus wrote:Two things...

1. Microsoft arent likely to drop HD-DVD, rather they will enforce its usage on PCs for data, which will mean the format war isnt over...yet!

2. If the industry goes Blu-Ray, are they going to include support for Standard DVDs? I heard they dont have to, which may backfire because I cant see everyone who has a DVD collection buying a new player AND reinvesting a lot of cash to replace DVDs for their Blu-Ray counterparts!

To respond to your points:

1) HD-DVD "may" have a future on computers. Look at DVD+/-R. That does not mean that the format war for "home media" wont be over.

2) You seriously think BluRay players dont play DVDs. That is laughable. I have been using my PS3 as a upconverting DVD player for a long time and it works nicely.

Or rather do you mean that you want BluRay discs to include the DVD equivalent? Which I am sorry but is not likely to happen ever. The pitch of data on a DVD is huge when compared to the size of data on a BluRay disc which is why they can fit in all the extra information. To include regular DVD pitched data would require that you do away with what was able to make them fit all that extra space in the first place.

Also you seem to imply somehow that a regular DVD player will play HD-DVDs. I am sorry this was never or will be the case for either medium.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby bluebottle on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:32 pm

Blu-Ray is 100% backwards compatible. I don't know where these rumors got started (H@rry).

I can't see Microsoft holding out on HD-DVD. It makes less sense when it comes to software/burning. Blu Ray holds MORE data. Why would you go with the format that holds less?

EDIT: except for the point that stereo mentioned above... I could see Microsoft holding out, but the drives will eventually be like DVD-r/+r drives.

At a certain point, everyone will cave in because no one wants to drag this out any longer. It only costs everyone money.

That's what makes so frustrating about H@rry's comments on the main page. Why would he encourage people to buy HD-DVD at this point? It'd be like saying, "Go buy betamax, there's still support for it!" when VHS was the clear winner.

And to argue that the movies that ARE available on HD WON'T be available on BR is absurd.

I want to smack H@rry.
Last edited by bluebottle on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:32 pm

I think the blu-ray players on the market now all play standard dvds, don't they? I don't see that changing anytime soon, as it would give competitors a leg up when consumers decide which player to buy.

EDIT: what bluebottle said, lol.

EDIT x2: AND STEREOS!!!!!!!!! i should just delete my post, heh.
Last edited by Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:35 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

I think the blu-ray players on the market now all play standard dvds, don't they? I don't see that changing anytime soon, as it would give competitors a leg up when consumers decide which player to buy.

EDIT x2: AND STEREOS!!!!!!!!! i should just delete my post, heh.

wheres the love moo? where is the love?

FIXED!
-Moo
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby instant_karma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

You want to smack Harry?
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:37 pm

instant_karma wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

You want to smack Harry?

Yes. I kinda do when it comes to this. I couldn't agree more with everything blue said above.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:40 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
instant_karma wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

You want to smack Harry?

Yes. I kinda do when it comes to this. I couldn't agree more with everything blue said above.

Yeah I am with the bottle as well. I really hope what TDB is reporting comes to fruition soon so we all can get our next gen on.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby instant_karma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:44 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
instant_karma wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

You want to smack Harry?

Heh. Yeah, he really is pulling a bit of a King Canute on this issue, and will probably end up taking shit for it for a long time to come.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby digideus on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I think the blu-ray players on the market now all play standard dvds, don't they?

Apparantly, its not necessary for Blu Ray to also work with DVD. Something to do with the fact that its Sony's propriatry system format which doesnt adhere to standard DVD and HD-DVD (which is why there is a format war in the first place!)

with the upgradability of Blu-Ray drives (what is currently, V1.2?), and no necessity to be backwardly compatible, I would bet that at some point Sony pull the plug on DVD playback simply because they can and its the sort of thing whey would do out of spite!
digideus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:51 pm

do you work for Toshiba?

heheheh.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:54 pm

digideus wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:I think the blu-ray players on the market now all play standard dvds, don't they?

Apparantly, its not necessary for Blu Ray to also work with DVD. Something to do with the fact that its Sony's propriatry system format which doesnt adhere to standard DVD and HD-DVD (which is why there is a format war in the first place!)

with the upgradability of Blu-Ray drives (what is currently, V1.2?), and no necessity to be backwardly compatible, I would bet that at some point Sony pull the plug on DVD playback simply because they can and its the sort of thing whey would do out of spite!

All BluRay drives play DVDs and will. Its not hard for a smaller laser to read a bigger data pitch. BluRay is not just sony remember the were a bunch of companies that had their hand in making it.

As to your other point. Yes they are updating BluRay firmware for new features. Soon they will require internet connection for BD-Live which allows more features and online connectivity. This does not mean that that the new discs wont work on old players rather that these special features wont work on it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby digideus on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:57 pm

digideus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:58 pm

digideus wrote:

did you post the exact same thing twice, or is this a glitch of some sort?
Lord Voldemoo

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
digideus wrote:

did you post the exact same thing twice, or is this a glitch of some sort?

is digideus a toshiba bot?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby bluebottle on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:00 pm

digideus wrote:

"I bought an HD-DVD player, and now I hate my life".
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:02 pm

IPAMPILASH.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:37 pm

digideus wrote:with the upgradability of Blu-Ray drives (what is currently, V1.2?), and no necessity to be backwardly compatible, I would bet that at some point Sony pull the plug on DVD playback simply because they can and its the sort of thing whey would do out of spite!

First of all, no.

Second, Sony doesn't make every single Blu-ray player on the market.

Third, almost every standard DVD player also plays CDs, Video CDs, and Photo CDs. They haven't taken away that feature, why would the Blu-ray players remove standard DVD playback?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:53 pm

digideus wrote:

i was gonna respond to this, but everyone else already has, so i'll just repeat what they said.

BR may not be "required" to be backwards-compatible in the sense that 1) it's technically possible to build a BR player that doesn't read standard DVDs and 2) no one will go to jail for building one. of course, the same could be said for HD-DVD players too.

realistically, though, if someone makes a BR player that's not backwards-compatible, it won't ever sell. there are already plenty of companies making BR players that DO play standard DVDs... in fact, all of them do. the first BR player that came out without backward compatibility would just collect dust. and since Sony doesn't make every single player, there's no way they can force other manufacturers not to make backwards-compatible players. in other words, there's no way in hell any BR player will be made that can't play standard DVDs.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:55 pm

Where's that dead horse picture when we need it?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray