W0W!1! SCIENC3!1! Blu-Ray FTW!

Betamax and beyond

How will you be watching movies in the future?

DVD?
11%
HD-DVD?
13%
Blu-Ray?
51%
EVD?
1%
Holographic Optical Recording Technology?
4%
OLDSCHOOL BABY! Betamax/VHS?
3%
Projected onto your eyelids by your new 3D magic-movie eye?
3%
In the gorram CINEMA, all this tech costs tooo much........
15%

Total votes : 75

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:57 pm

so sorry wrote:Where's that dead horse picture when we need it?

Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:59 pm

Close enough...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:17 pm

HBO confirms switch to blu-ray exclusive!

Was to be expected after New Lines confirmation.

Pitty we'll never have the Wire on blu though, seeing as it's shot in SD no?
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:24 pm

digital bits has a little mention of harry in today's column:

Home Media has confirmed that HBO is following Warner and New Line to Blu-ray exclusivity, as we expected. Things are still moving internally at Paramount and Universal. But at least for the moment, Paramount is denying that they're giving up on HD-DVD, and of course, sites like Ain't it Cool are latching on to that. So naturally, enthusiasts all over the Net are confused today. First, you'll notice neither studio is denying that they plan to go Blu - just that they're not giving up on HD-DVD at the moment. Second, look... we love the guys at AICN, including Harry. I mean that straight up, no bullshit. He's a good guy and he does a lot for movie fans online. But with all due respect, he's been a little bit behind the curve with regard to this high-def format war all along. So we'll leave it at that. I needn't remind any of you that before the holidays, Warner was still officially claiming that they were going to continue to support both high-def formats, and we all know how that turned out now.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:18 pm

Yeah, I like Harry, but I think the writing is on the wall.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:41 pm

I think the writing's been on the wall, has been scrubbed off the wall and been covered over by other writings.

Then a dog has wee'd up the wall.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:49 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I think the writing's been on the wall, has been scrubbed off the wall and been covered over by other writings.

Then a dog has wee'd up the wall.

The wall has been knocked down to be replaced by a new wall.

This one is waaaaay over.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby tapehead on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:58 pm

I've still got my regular old wall, and truth is, I can't see much difference between my old wall, and these newer expensive walls, and neither can the vast majority of wall owners.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:38 pm

tapehead wrote:I've still got my regular old wall, and truth is, I can't see much difference between my old wall, and these newer expensive walls, and neither can the vast majority of wall owners.

80% of wall owners don't know the difference between lead, or oil based paint.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:50 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
tapehead wrote:I've still got my regular old wall, and truth is, I can't see much difference between my old wall, and these newer expensive walls, and neither can the vast majority of wall owners.

Harry says that lead-based paint is going to win the paint war.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:53 pm

so sorry wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Grande Rojo says that lead-based paint is going to win the paint war.

I heard that's what the schwag bags from BNAT were screen printed with.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:11 pm

so sorry wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

i don't care which paint wins the paint war, i just want it to be over, so i can finally paint this damn wall.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:20 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

i don't care which paint wins the paint war, i just want it to be over, so i can finally paint this damn wall.

stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:13 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

They're not in the jungle.....THEY ARE THE JUNGLE
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:35 pm

So the Criterion thread made me think of something...

WARNING: Potentially stupid/ignorant Question

Anyone know how the Criterion Series fits into the BluRay-HDDVD debate/debacle?

EDIT: found out myself... for those of you interested...

Criterion and BD/HDDVD
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:42 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

They're not in the jungle.....THEY ARE THE JUNGLE

Spaced Painting
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:16 pm

so sorry wrote:So the Criterion thread made me think of something...

Criterion and BD/HDDVD

That rules. Seriously.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Fawst wrote:
so sorry wrote:So the Criterion thread made me think of something...

Criterion and BD/HDDVD

That rules. Seriously.

That means it will be an easy conversion for them! Great news!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby MonkeyM666 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:32 am

Michael bay all the way... look who's weighed in on the Microsoft backdown from HD-DVD yesterday. Are we all aware about Microsoft dropping the HD-DVD drive right? The chatter about is that they're going to go towards direct downloads to from Xbox live. I tunes released something today which states that Apple is after the same prize, and it makes complete sense. What would sell more? HD Quality films without leaving the house and all of it legal. It's the way of the future, you'll only be able to but pretty LE box sets in 10 years.

Michael Bay Slams Microsoft Over HD-DVD, Calls Blu-ray "Superior"

michael_bay_mimes.jpgDirector Michael Bay, the director of thought-pausing summertime fare like Transformers and Armageddon, whose latest blockbuster is available exclusively on HD-DVD and DVD, took a swipe at Microsoft in his official forums today. In the "Ask Michael Bay" sub-forum, a user complained about the unavailability of Bay's movies on the Blu-ray format, one backed by Sony and standard on PlayStation 3s. Fanboy Bay fired back!

What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $US 100 million dollar checks to studios just embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth.

Is Michael Bay in need of a sturdier tinfoil hat or is Microsoft intentionally sabotaging the next-gen format war for its own benefit? Since we haven't been on the receiving end of any $US 100 million checks, we can't say for sure. Or is that just one of the stipulations of our continued payment from Microsoft? *dun dun duunnnn*

DVD Formats [The Official Michael Bay Forums via Blu-ray.com - thanks, Joe!]

I actually beleive what the guy is saying. It makes complete sence looking back at Microsofts history. Very interesting stuff...
MonkeyM666
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:26 am

I mentioned this in the EFBR HD-DVD thread a few days ago, but I failed to provide any quotes or links, so you win, Monkey!

It's interesting how Bay said this stuff only a couple of days before these rumours about Paramount started flying around. I expect he wouldn't come out and say something so contentious if he didn't already know that Paramount were considering a change of stance.

...then again, he's not exactly a shrinking violet, so maye he just felt like rocking the boat a little.

Even though I think the substance of what he's saying is right, I think widespread HD downloads are still at least a decade away....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

IT'S OVER

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:55 am

http://www.geek.com/universal-ends-hd-dvd-exclusiv e-deal/

Universal just dropped EXCLUSIVITY with HD-DVD... They are exclusive until May 31st, then they are a free agent... guess which direction they are headed?

It looks today as though HD DVD owners have another reason to cringe. Although the news isn’t as bad as Warner Brothers dropping HD DVD support altogether, it could be a sad tale of things to come for the Toshiba format. According to a recent report, it appears that Universal has ended its format marriage with HD DVD and could be playing the format field again.

Variety reports that Universal Studios has decided to end its exclusive deal with HD DVD format and will continue to support the format up until May 31 of this year. A Universal spokesperson confirmed the report and indicated the company will support HD DVD for now, but did not indicate whether Universal would soon begin offering the Blu-ray format. It’s not hard, however, to make the mental leap to see what may be coming down the road from Universal.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117978760.html?c ategoryid=2112&cs=1

The two remaining studios backing HD DVD could switch sides soon, ending the high-def format war instantly.

Daily Variety has confirmed that Universal's commitment to backing HD DVD exclusively has ended. And Paramount has an escape clause in its HD DVD contract allowing it to release pics on Blu-ray after Warner Bros.' decision to back that format exclusively.
More than one option

Neither studio is ready to throw in the towel immediately, however. On Thursday, Universal broke its silence about the matter to say that it plans to keep supporting the format for the time being, a pledge Par made earlier in the week. And in any case, U is committed to a series of HD DVD promotions in coming months.

Once the press starts to promote a side, it will only serve to make it true. HD-DVD is done...
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:26 pm

From the Bits...

The Digital Bits wrote:Universal Studios Home Entertainment has just released a brief statement with regards to its HD-DVD support. EVP of HD strategic marketing Ken Graffeo says the following: "Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format."

It's worth noting that nothing in this statement negates the possibility of Universal announcing Blu-ray support (in addition to HD-DVD) in the future. This is similar to Paramount's recent official comments that they intend to continue supporting HD-DVD as well, which does not preclude possible future Blu-ray Disc support. One would expect a similar statement out of Toshiba and/or the HD-DVD Promotions Group soon as well. Regardless, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to realize that they're being careful about their phrasing so as to keep their options open. We'd frankly expect both studios to continue releasing HD-DVD product for some time, regardless of any Blu-ray plans they might announce in the future.

By the way, we contacted The Weinstein Company and Genius Products today. A spokesperson told us that the company hadn't firmed up their HD plans yet.

Meanwhile, the bad mainstream press for HD-DVD keeps mounting. The New York Times' technology section features a report entitled "HD DVDs Fall Like Dominoes" today. And The Wall Street Journal's Digital Digital column goes a step further with "Mistah HD DVD - He Dead..." It will be interesting to see how all these press reports out of CES, in the wake of Warner's Blu-ray move, will impact the high-def hardware and software sales numbers over the next few weeks.

Take that how you will.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:09 pm

i think everyone is so excited about the possible end of the format war that they can't stop themselves from writing about it, but so far everything is just rumours. let's face it, we all know now that Paramount and Universal will, eventually, release their movies on BluRay, and that HD-DVD will, eventually, die out. it's a fait accompli at this point. but all these articles just talk about how Universal MIGHT end HD-DVD exclusivity, and how Paramount MIGHT back out of their deal. the only thing i care about is when one or both of these studios officially announce they're releasing BluRay films. it's a matter of when, not if, but until that happens it's all just anticipation on the part of these writers. the sooner these studios get on board with BR and we can bury HD-DVD once and for all, the better.

it is interesting that the date quoted for Universal backing out of HD-DVD is the same date that Warner's stops producing them.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:24 pm

How the hell has Michael Bay got the nerve to lambast business decisions which affect the quality of films?
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:28 pm

Because he has an opinion, and in his opinion, Blu-Ray is superior *shrug*

Even Spielberg wants his films on Blu-Ray, and he gets what he wants. Why should Bay not be allowed to voice his thoughts? Unless I'm missing something else here...
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:31 pm

TonyWilson wrote:How the hell has Michael Bay got the nerve to lambast business decisions which affect the quality of films?

Christ, the words "Michael bay", "quality" & films" in the same sentience on AICN, that must be a 1st.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:54 pm

Toshiba slashes prices on HD-DVD related gear.
The dying gasp of a dead format?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby bluebottle on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:08 pm

does anyone remember how it went down when VHS was declared the winner?

Did they just pull all the Beta tapes off the shelves? Was it a slow death?

The only thing I remember about the format war was that this one video store had Sherlock Homes Smarter Brother on Beta, and we couldn't rent it because we had VHS... And that irritated me.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:23 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Toshiba slashes prices on HD-DVD related gear.
The dying gasp of a dead format?

sounds like the law of supply and demand. now that HD-DVD is obsolete technology, the demand has shrunk and so will the price. the question is, how much is a soon-to-be-obsolete player worth?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:27 pm

Blu-Ray may be winning, but they still might upset the early adopters:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7187179.stm
Last edited by Fried Gold on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Bluebottle wrote:does anyone remember how it went down when VHS was declared the winner?

Did they just pull all the Beta tapes off the shelves? Was it a slow death?

The only thing I remember about the format war was that this one video store had Sherlock Homes Smarter Brother on Beta, and we couldn't rent it because we had VHS... And that irritated me.

Beta lasted in a niche market until recently.
According to Wikipedia, the last Betamax was produced in 2002.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:49 am

I know Beta was really popular with home-video editing enthusiasts, who could do frame-accurate editing on their Beta decks. The VHS system was not frame-accurate. It doesn't surprise me that some of these older guys would hold out against digital all the way to 2002.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:36 pm

Beta only failed in the consumer area, it was pretty much the format of choice for professionals until digital became a viable option.

Amazon is giving away HD disc players and instant libraries of 100 discs. I wonder how many people are entering the HD-DVD sweeps.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:44 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Blu-Ray may be winning, but they still might upset the early adopters:

The only Blu-ray player which can upgraded to use all the features is Sony's PlayStation 3, because it comes with the right hardware built-in and online access.

I just took another step closer to buying one. PS3s rock! I heard they are also one of the only easily-available BD players which can handle the maximum bit rate playback of blu-ray disks or some shyt like that. I am SO buying one this easter!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Blu-Ray may be winning, but they still might upset the early adopters:

The only Blu-ray player which can upgraded to use all the features is Sony's PlayStation 3, because it comes with the right hardware built-in and online access.

I just took another step closer to buying one. PS3s rock! I heard they are also one of the only easily-available BD players which can handle the maximum bit rate playback of blu-ray disks or some shyt like that. I am SO buying one this easter!

Some other players have the ability to update firmware, but no other players have the interent capabilities yet.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:08 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Beta only failed in the consumer area, it was pretty much the format of choice for professionals until digital became a viable option.

Not even close...

BETAMAX was a consumer grade 1/2" tape format akin to VHS.

Professionals (like myself) use BETA SP from Sony, also a 1/2" tape but with over 12 times the resolution and picture quality of VHS or BETAMAX.

These are two radically different formats. BETAMAX was NEVER used for professional uses.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Amazon is giving away HD disc players and instant libraries of 100 discs. I wonder how many people are entering the HD-DVD sweeps.

Also, they are equally giving away a BLU RAY player with 100 discs too....
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:15 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Amazon is giving away HD disc players and instant libraries of 100 discs.

Awesome... consider me entered...

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote: I wonder how many people are entering the HD-DVD sweeps.

not me!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:24 pm

sonnyboo wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Be ta only failed in the consumer area, it was pretty much the format of choice for professionals until digital became a viable option.

Not even close...

BETAMAX was a consumer grade 1/2" tape format akin to VHS.

Professionals (like myself) use BETA SP from Sony, also a 1/2" tape but with over 12 times the resolution and picture quality of VHS or BETAMAX.

These are two radically different formats. BETAMAX was NEVER used for professional uses.

Well sure, if you're going to differentiate Beta formats, which nobody ever did for me before. Excuse me, I'm going to go slap a few people.

Back.

sonnyboo wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Amazon is giving away HD disc players and instant libraries of 100 discs. I wonder how many people are entering the HD-DVD sweeps.

Also, they are equally giving away a BLU RAY player with 100 discs too....

After I posted I wondered if it was clear enough they were giving away both formats. Guess not. If I win a Blu-ray player the Zone is invited over for punch and pie. I'd laugh if the winners list was empty on the HD-DVD side because nobody entered.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Apple enters download market

don't know if this has been posted elsewhere yet... at the apple expo today it was announced that Apple will make HD movies avaiable for download (thru iTunes i guess) to that stupid AppleTV thingie.

sorry about the spotty reporting, but i'm scatterbrained right now, but i thought it was worth posting...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:21 pm

So...who has what? I'm thinking now of picking up a new HDTV (probably plasma, probably in the 40+ inch range, hopefully 1080p if I can save up enough bucks), and I'm thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player to go along with it. Any brand/feature preferences out there? I wont be getting a PS3.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:24 pm

The only reason I dont like plasma is that they are so expensive to fix if anything goes wrong.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:26 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:The only reason I dont like plasma is that they are so expensive to fix if anything goes wrong.

Actually I meant in connection with the Blu-Ray player, i just included the rough tv specs so people would know what I'd be watching it on.

Other than the ongoing market battle I haven't followed this much, and I simply don't know much about what is out there for Blu-Ray players. Is there some feature set that I shouldn't live without, or is one brand clearly superior?
Lord Voldemoo

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:30 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:The only reason I dont like plasma is that they are so expensive to fix if anything goes wrong.

Actually I meant in connection with the Blu-Ray player, i just included the rough tv specs so people would know what I'd be watching it on.

Other than the ongoing market battle I haven't followed this much, and I simply don't know much about what is out there for Blu-Ray players. Is there some feature set that I shouldn't live without, or is one brand clearly superior?

There hasn't been much talk around these parts about specific brands of Bluray players. As a rule of thumb, if I need advice about a tech product I head on over to cnet.com for their reviews.

But I can tell you that with the impending shift to BluRay as the "winner" if the most recent format war, I'd be willing to bet that all players will come down in price in the near future, so if you can hang on for another year or so, you'd probably save some scratch.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:31 pm

Honestly PS3 is the way to go. It has all the currently available features (no other player currently has support for BD live - internet connection) and is updateable.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nordling on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:38 pm

Come tax time, I'm going with a DLP setup (50" or better), 1080p, and a PS3. If that doesn't last me 5 years, fuck 'em.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:48 pm

good call on CNET. I'll definitely check there. I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience or horror stories with their own players.

I'll admit PS3 makes sense...but I'd feel like such a traitor.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Nordling on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:51 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I'll admit PS3 makes sense...but I'd feel like such a traitor.

I did too, till my XBox broke down for the third time. I haven't played any videogames at home since October.

I thought Sony was fucking people over with that expensive system, but I've turned around on that.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:15 pm

Consumer Reports is going to be doing a HDTV feature with "Ratings of more than 100 LCD, plasma, and rear-projection sets, plus advice on when to junk your TV or get it fixed".

I heart Consumers Reports.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:50 pm

Fievel wrote:Consumer Reports is going to be doing a HDTV feature with "Ratings of more than 100 LCD, plasma, and rear-projection sets, plus advice on when to junk your TV or get it fixed".

I heart Consumers Reports.

When please.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray