W0W!1! SCIENC3!1! Blu-Ray FTW!

Betamax and beyond

How will you be watching movies in the future?

DVD?
11%
HD-DVD?
13%
Blu-Ray?
51%
EVD?
1%
Holographic Optical Recording Technology?
4%
OLDSCHOOL BABY! Betamax/VHS?
3%
Projected onto your eyelids by your new 3D magic-movie eye?
3%
In the gorram CINEMA, all this tech costs tooo much........
15%

Total votes : 75

Postby Fievel on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:52 pm

so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:Consumer Reports is going to be doing a HDTV feature with "Ratings of more than 100 LCD, plasma, and rear-projection sets, plus advice on when to junk your TV or get it fixed".

I heart Consumers Reports.

When please.

I'm assuming next month as it's in this month's "Coming Soon" section.
If there's interest, I can offer an ultra-brief summary.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:11 pm

Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:Consumer Reports is going to be doing a HDTV feature with "Ratings of more than 100 LCD, plasma, and rear-projection sets, plus advice on when to junk your TV or get it fixed".

When please.

thanks, I'll be on the lookout at the bookstore.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fawst on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm gonna be the voice of dissent and say "fuck CNET." Their reviews aren't bad, but try some other sources as well. Two sites I check out are www.ultimateavmag.com and www.hometheatermag.com

They aren't EXACTLY the same site, but a lot of reviews are basically dupes with some different writing. Also, if you want to read up on a bunch of types of HDTVs from fans and detractors, check out www.avsforum.com. I LOVE that site.

Nord, you may want to check out the Samsung HL-T5687S. 56" DLP, it has a 3D connection so that you can take advantage of the in-home 3D sync glasses technology. It's only available on DLP sets. VERY nice TV, which actually accepts 1080p over component. Most sets don't do that.

And yah... PS3 is the way to go, for the reason already stated: it supports BD Live and is the fastest-loading player on the market (as in seconds to load a movie as opposed to a minute+ on "stand-alones.")

Yah, I wish I had money to back up all my fucking research.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:00 pm

so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:

When please.

thanks, I'll be on the lookout at the bookstore.

oh holy shit, me too. This is perfect timing...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:10 pm

Those are great sites Fawst and some good recommendations.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:12 pm

IMDb wrote:Almost Nobody's Buying HD DVD, Says Report
In yet another sign that the battle between HD DVD and Blu-ray is nearly over, with Blu-ray emerging as the de facto hi-def standard, sales data, published by The Digital Bits website, indicated Wednesday that Blu-ray players accounted for 93 percent of the high-definition players sold for the week ending January 12. The week was the first following Warner Bros. announcement that it would no longer release films in the HD DVD format after April 30. High-Def Disc News also reported that during the same week movies released in the Blu-ray format accounted for 85 percent of high-definition sales.

here's a link to the digital bits article.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:21 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
IMDb wrote:Almost Nobody's Buying HD DVD, Says Report
In yet another sign that the battle between HD DVD and Blu-ray is nearly over, with Blu-ray emerging as the de facto hi-def standard, sales data, published by The Digital Bits website, indicated Wednesday that Blu-ray players accounted for 93 percent of the high-definition players sold for the week ending January 12. The week was the first following Warner Bros. announcement that it would no longer release films in the HD DVD format after April 30. High-Def Disc News also reported that during the same week movies released in the Blu-ray format accounted for 85 percent of high-definition sales.

here's a link to the digital bits article.

Great news for BluRay fans.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:35 pm

i'd say great news for HD media fans of all stripes, except HD-DVD fans who are too obstinate to admit defeat.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:39 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i'd say great news for HD media fans of all stripes, except HD-DVD fans who are too obstinate to admit defeat.

I know I bought some more BluRay discs over the weekend. Picked up Paprika and Pan's Labyrinth.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:51 pm

i'll be picking up my PS3 this weekend.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:57 pm

I'm holding out.... there are rumors (likely just rumors) of a price drop

EDIT.... which Sony has now denied.

Hopefully just like they denied the E3 price drop and the 40GB PS3, too!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:33 pm

i'll be getting it at best buy, i think they have a 90-day price match policy if the price goes down. if not, i'll just return it and re-buy it at the lower price.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:35 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i'll be getting it at best buy, i think they have a 90-day price match policy if the price goes down. if not, i'll just return it and re-buy it at the lower price.

BestBuy is going to discontinue selling the 80GB model, in case that is the one you want.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:43 pm

Netflix opts for Blu-ray high-def DVDs
AP
February 11, 2008

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Netflix Inc., the online movie rental company, said Monday it is switching exclusively to the Blu-ray format for high-definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp.

Toshiba and Sony have been vying to set the standard for high-definition DVDs for several years. The stakes are high because the winner will also get a boost in sales of DVD players needed to read the new format.

The Walt Disney Co., Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer have endorsed Blu-ray. Paramount and Universal Studios publish their high-definition DVDs in Toshiba's HD DVD format.

Netflix has stocked both formats since they became available in 2006, but said the decision of four of the six major studios to issue films only in Blu-ray format made it likely that the Sony format will prevail.

"From the Netflix perspective, focusing on one format will enable us to create the best experience for subscribers," the company said, adding that not many customers order high-def DVDs.

Many consumers have held off on buying a high-def DVD player until the dominant format is decided.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:50 pm

wow. this will go a long way to ending the format war that's already in its last throes.

if you have an HD-DVD player, you can't rent them anymore. first blockbuster, now netflix... i don't know, does hollywood video rent HD-DVDs? if you want to see an HD-DVD now, you'll have to buy it. of course, with the format war ending, they'll be selling for not much more than the price of a rental anyway. they already are on ebay.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:59 pm

here is a lengthier article that gives some more of their reasoning.

it makes a lot of sense. if this thing becomes a fight between physical media and downloads, who has more to lose than netflix? even though they're trying to get into the DL business as well, they'll have a lot of competition, whereas with the DVD rental business they already have the market locked up. it's definitely in their interest to end the format war as soon as possible in order to hasten the acceptance of BluRay. if it costs them a few die-hard HD-DVD subscribers in the short term, it's a small price to pay to keep physical media alive and thriving in the long term.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:03 pm

Great news and articles guys. The news just keeps getting better for the Blu camp.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Nordling on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:43 pm

I lurve my PS3 Blu-Ray. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, BLADE RUNNER, and RATATOUILLE look godlike on it.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:45 pm

Don't know how you feel about Meet the Robinsons, but it looks absolutely stunning in 1080p on Blu Ray.

I was at a Sears they had it displayed at, and it looked like it was being run natively off the graphics computers they made the movie with. No distortion or flatness at all. It was stunning.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:48 pm

King Psyz wrote:Don't know how you feel about Meet the Robinsons, but it looks absolutely stunning in 1080p on Blu Ray.

I was at a Sears they had it displayed at, and it looked like it was being run natively off the graphics computers they made the movie with. No distortion or flatness at all. It was stunning.

It's a 'cos basically it IS a the same picture that comes outta the rendering computers, no? Direct-to-Digital, iffa you will... similar to what a the Pixar, they did with a the Bug's Life DVD (anna prolly subsequent films as a well, it's a just a 'cos a they specifically have a mentioned they did a that with a that particular film).
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby King Psyz on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:05 pm

Right, I think the difference now is you can actually see the quality with BD and a 1080p set.

I have yet to see Rattatouiekaboeyscrewy or whatever, but I am hoping it looks just as good.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:52 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:14 pm

I hope this comes about.
PS3 demand will go up (It's still the cheapest BR player out there right?) and that should drive the price down.
I would love to have one, but $500.00 is a lot to spend on a hardware platform with very few blockbuster titles. (Besides, I never by into first generation anyway...)
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:42 pm

"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Bayou wrote:I hope this comes about.
PS3 demand will go up (It's still the cheapest BR player out there right?) and that should drive the price down.

Actually - economics 101 - demand drives the price in the OTHER direction - UP.

Eventually Blu Ray players will come down in price, but PS3's will not until PS4 in 1-3 years.

I'm glad the format war is over, but I wish I didn't own an HD-DVD player. It's now my High Def Laserdisc player equivalent.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby King Psyz on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:16 pm

you're sorely mistaken methinks on PS3 pricing. Now that they turn a profit & can make more with movie licensing, the price will continue to drop.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:32 pm

King Psyz wrote:you're sorely mistaken methinks on PS3 pricing. Now that they turn a profit & can make more with movie licensing, the price will continue to drop.

I hope you're right. I hate that I spent $147 on HD-DVD and to think I' d have to spend over 2 times as much to get any kind of BLU RAY sucks ass.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:44 pm

sonnyboo wrote:
Bayou wrote:I hope this comes about.

Actually - economics 101 - demand drives the price in the OTHER direction - UP.

Eventually Blu Ray players will come down in price, but PS3's will not until PS4 in 1-3 years.

I'm glad the format war is over, but I wish I didn't own an HD-DVD player. It's now my High Def Laserdisc player equivalent.

it's not that simple, because of economies of scale. the more of something you're able to sell, the more you can produce, and the more you can produce, the lower the individual production costs on a per-player basis become. that then allows the price to come down. that's why virtually every new technology (CD, DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray) initially begins with high prices (because of small demand and few players being produced) and then fall as the format becomes accepted. whether that will happen specifically with the PS3 is up in the air, since there are other factors at work... but Blu-Ray players in general should fall in price, now that makers can confidently move forward with the technology and consumers can buy without worrying about making the wrong choice.

in other news, Hollywood Reporter reports Toshiba may be giving up... the war is already over, but this would be the equivalent of their surrender.

there are also reports that Toshiba is already planning to produce Blu-Ray players.

and finally, one more article on wal-mart
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:11 pm

That Hollywood reporter article would be amazing if it's accurate.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:22 pm

It's realy game over for HD-dvd now. Here in the Netherlands, and most parts of Europe, people don't even know HD-DVD. In the stores here we only talk about high def in blu-ray. HD-DVD failed when it focussed it's campagin primarily on the US market. And ofc, most of the professional broadcasting world already shoots it's footage on XDCam from Sony, which is in fact a Blu-ray. :P

Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:59 pm

Well, if I can play my regular DVDs on a ps3 without having to upgrade (Thanks a lot, UNIVERSAL), that's okay by me.

(It pisses me off because the HD DVD of "Van Helsing" has the behind the scenes feature on the masquerade, and that was only previously a Best Buy extra...and I didn't get my SE disc at Best Buy... -kicks self- Hopefully, the same features will be on Blu-Ray when Universal converts?)
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

W0W!1! SCIENC3!1! Blu-Ray, HD-DVD. EVD, etc

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:07 pm

YES!

Im happier then a pig in shit that Blu Ray is kicking this amount of ass!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:13 pm

TOSHIBA TO DROP HD-DVD DEVELOPMENT

NHK WORLD DAILY NEWS wrote:Toshiba Corporation has decided to withdraw from next generation high-definition DVD production.

Toshiba has been struggling with its version of the next generation DVD format, as support for Blu-ray technology has spread among US retailers.

Toshiba has been in heated competition with other Japanese electronic giants such as Sony, Panasonic and Hitachi, which produce the high-definition DVD format, Blu-ray.

The Blu-ray format now makes up 90 percent of the Japanese high-definition DVD market after winning last year's price war for DVD recorders and players.

Toshiba faced even more difficulty when the major movie studio, Warner Brothers Entertainment, announced that it planned to use only the Blu-ray format for its movie software.

The company said it will continue to sell HD-DVD products for a while but will stop further development of HD DVD. Meanwhile, it said its DVD factories in Aomori Prefecture, northern Japan, would be closed.

Market observers said that Toshiba could suffer a loss of hundreds of millions of US dollars.

source
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:23 pm

And that's the ballgame folks.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:29 pm

finally.

i jumped on board after the warner's announcement, that was enough to convince me BR was the way to go, but i'm glad to see things coming to a conclusion so quickly. just means those paramount and universal BR discs won't be too long of a wait away.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:33 pm

WOOOHOOO!!!

Time to stock up on the Blu!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

W0W!1! SCIENC3!1! Blu-Ray, HD-DVD. EVD, etc

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:31 pm

victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby King Psyz on Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:38 pm

VICTOLY!
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Theta on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:10 pm

King Psyz wrote:VICTOLY!

Yes, you can finally enjoy "Charlie's Angels", "Resident Evil" and "Click" without concern that you've wasted your money on the wrong format! Just on shitty movies!
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby King Psyz on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:14 pm

hey I only got one of those movies!

seriously, like I would buy charlies angels? only if it was starring Jenna Jameson(5 years ago), Tera Patrick, and Kobe Tai...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:52 am

I'm glad the format war is over. Now I know which format to purchase when I upgrade to the hi-def DVD format . . . in another six years.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Zarles on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:53 am

For me, it was over when Disney went with Blu-Ray. The mouse gets what the mouse wants.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:56 am

Zarles wrote:For me, it was over when Disney went with Blu-Ray. The mouse gets what the mouse wants.

Except for people to actually show up at Euro-Disney. ;)
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby Zarles on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:57 am

'My children need wine!' :lol:
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:08 am

I only have two comments on the death of HD-DVD since I do own a player.

1. When will all the current released HD-DVD's become dirt cheap so I can gobble them up.

2. When will the Blu-Ray players become dirt cheap so I can gobble one up.

:)
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:11 am

Hollywood_Bob wrote:I only have two comments on the death of HD-DVD since I do own a player.

1. When will all the current released HD-DVD's become dirt cheap so I can gobble them up.

2. When will the Blu-Ray players become dirt cheap so I can gobble one up.

:)

It's probably safe to say that number 1 should be pretty soon. Not a bad deal at all if you own a HD-DVD player and want some good movies in hi-def. (Sigh... still waiting for Serenity on Blu-Ray yet).
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:21 am

I'll be more interested when I can buy an affordable burner and recording media for my pc in Blu Ray format.

Evil Hobbit wrote: And ofc, most of the professional broadcasting world already shoots it's footage on XDCam from Sony, which is in fact a Blu-ray. :P

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here, but XDCam isn't Blu-Ray.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:33 am

It uses the same optical discs. Got a few right here. Maybe not exactly the same disc as the bluray in stores but it's the same technique nonetheless.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby sonnyboo on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:25 am

Evil Hobbit wrote:
And ofc, most of the professional broadcasting world already shoots it's footage on XDCam from Sony, which is in fact a Blu-ray. :P

Where did you get this statistic? I work with plenty of news cameramen across the U.S. and this statement is completely untrue, both that XDCAM is the single most used (DVCPRO and DVCPRO HD both tape and P2 are the most used formats in U.S. news crews today). Also XDCAM does not use BLU RAY, niether disc nor even the same MPEG2 compression scheme to memory cards.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:46 pm

I don't know about the US, mainly speaking for the Dutch territory I am familiar with. But XDCAM realy is an optical disc.

More on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Disc_for_DATA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XDCAM

Not blu-ray indeed but at least based on similar techniques.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray