Blade Runner: The Final Cut

Betamax and beyond

Blade Runner: The Final Cut

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 25, 2006 2:41 pm

OK, I heard some rumblings on the TB's about it, but on turning to the review of the Kingdom Of Heaven DVD in Total Film (a UK mag), discovered this, from Ridley himself -

Total Film wrote:We've heard talk of a definitive Bladerunner DVD for years. What's the latest news?

They're going to rerelease it next year in a digital reconstruction and get the original stems from Vangelis, so we're going to have all the original tracks. Then we're going to celebrate 25 25 years - can you believe it? - and from that will come the best DVD.

What version are we going to see on it?

It's going to be the Directors Cut. There will be none of that flring off into the landscape at the end - living happily-ever-after and all that bollocks, because it's always bothered me, that. I though, if you've got landscape out there like that, why live in that horrible city?


So is this... two DVD's? Can't quite make it out.
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Re: Bladerunner SE "25 years" DVD

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu May 25, 2006 2:45 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:OK, I heard some rumblings on the TB's about it, but on turning to the review of the Kingdom Of Heaven DVD in Total Film (a UK mag), discovered this, from Ridley himself -

Total Film wrote:We've heard talk of a definitive Bladerunner DVD for years. What's the latest news?

They're going to rerelease it next year in a digital reconstruction and get the original stems from Vangelis, so we're going to have all the original tracks. Then we're going to celebrate 25 25 years - can you believe it? - and from that will come the best DVD.

What version are we going to see on it?

It's going to be the Directors Cut. There will be none of that flring off into the landscape at the end - living happily-ever-after and all that bollocks, because it's always bothered me, that. I though, if you've got landscape out there like that, why live in that horrible city?


So is this... two DVD's? Can't quite make it out.



However it pans out it's long overdue.
User avatar
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:55 pm

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu May 25, 2006 2:45 pm

I have been waiting for a fucking Special Edition of this FOREVER. Part of me would like them to include the original version along with the Director's Cut.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby The Vicar on Thu May 25, 2006 3:03 pm

There's already a director's cut out there that doesn't have that bullshit happy-ending the studio tacked on, nor the idiot voice -over that Ridley didn't want.
And includes Deckard's "dream" of the unicorn.

So what new with the edition that separates it from the one I've got?
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby John-Locke on Thu May 25, 2006 3:04 pm

The Music.

About sodding time too.
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 25, 2006 3:07 pm

It's all on one side of a DVD and has special features?
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Fried Gold on Thu May 25, 2006 3:09 pm

It'd be nice to have both versions on there, maybe using the branching system. I've only ever seen the theatrical version once (a long time ago), so it'd be interesting to see it again.

But really just a updated, clean picture would be fine. The current available disc doesn't do the film justice.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13906
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Postby Lurker Johnson on Thu May 25, 2006 3:16 pm

I hope they extend the snake/stripper scene... :P
Image
User avatar
Lurker Johnson
BOMB IN RIBCAGE
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:30 pm
Location: Ninja College

Postby raasnio on Thu May 25, 2006 3:39 pm

As long as this edition is the version Scott wants us to have then I'm happy.

I still don't own this one yet, though you can bet I'll be getting this new edition when it arrives.
Image
User avatar
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:04 pm

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu May 25, 2006 3:41 pm

John-Locke wrote:The Music.

About sodding time too.

HAHAHAHA!! You said "sodding!"
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu May 25, 2006 3:42 pm

WOW! FINALLY! This is great news. You probably all know this, but there
has been this insane protracted legal battle going on for years
about this DVD. One rumor I read said something to the effect that the
SE Blade Runner has literally been ready to go for years, but heald up in
some kind of corporate litigation nightmare...

I can't wait to finally have one of my favorite films on DVD given the love
and attention it so thoroughly deserves...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu May 25, 2006 3:49 pm

At this point perhaps they should do a triple release, DVD HD and Blu Ray after a new transfer/tweak.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby The Vicar on Thu May 25, 2006 4:53 pm

Fried Gold wrote:It'd be nice to have both versions on there, maybe using the branching system. I've only ever seen the theatrical version once (a long time ago), so it'd be interesting to see it again.

But really just a updated, clean picture would be fine. The current available disc doesn't do the film justice.


The original release, with the Ford voice over & tacked on shitty ending, should be burned & pissed on by Ridley Scott.

Those elements were not what Scott had intended for this film.
They are tacked-on abominations that some fart faced studio micro-dicks thought needed to be added, since audiences are soooo stoopid.

But again, does anyone know of any significant differences between this and the already released Director's Cut I own?

Really.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby sputo on Thu May 25, 2006 5:20 pm

I don't get the part about the "original stems from Vangelis", was there music missing in all versions?
sputo
GLIB
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:22 pm

Postby Fried Gold on Thu May 25, 2006 6:35 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:It'd be nice to have both versions on there, maybe using the branching system. I've only ever seen the theatrical version once (a long time ago), so it'd be interesting to see it again.

But really just a updated, clean picture would be fine. The current available disc doesn't do the film justice.


The original release, with the Ford voice over & tacked on shitty ending, should be burned & pissed on by Ridley Scott.

Those elements were not what Scott had intended for this film.
They are tacked-on abominations that some fart faced studio micro-dicks thought needed to be added, since audiences are soooo stoopid.

Yeah I know. But it'd just be a nice extra to have. Just to be able to directly compare it with the Ridley MkI.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13906
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu May 25, 2006 9:25 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:It'd be nice to have both versions on there, maybe using the branching system. I've only ever seen the theatrical version once (a long time ago), so it'd be interesting to see it again.

But really just a updated, clean picture would be fine. The current available disc doesn't do the film justice.


The original release, with the Ford voice over & tacked on shitty ending, should be burned & pissed on by Ridley Scott.

Those elements were not what Scott had intended for this film.
They are tacked-on abominations that some fart faced studio micro-dicks thought needed to be added, since audiences are soooo stoopid.

Yeah I know. But it'd just be a nice extra to have. Just to be able to directly compare it with the Ridley MkI.


I enjoyed the noiresque voice over in the film but the theatrical ending sucked.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby papalazeru on Thu May 25, 2006 9:33 pm

I did like Blade Runner...Its up there with Brasil and 1984 for me. But....I'm beginning to get real pissed off with updated re-releases of the same fucking film. If I want the definitive copy I wanna be able to watch all the versions on one DVD.

Think it was done best in the South Park Episode "Free Hat".

How about 1 release with all the version they wanted. Its quite easy to do a cinema release then spend maybe a week extra making the directors proper fucking cut. Its also easy to release them on 1 fucking DVD.

The new star wars really causes me to spit blood, I just hope Ridley had some say in this release (cos I trust him) and made sure its way way way different, not just a new ending which in about 2 years time a new version appears which is the "Rutger shot first" ending.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11474
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Postby The Vicar on Fri May 26, 2006 9:35 am

"Rutger shot first"
Nice. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really, really despise the voice over.
For me the film becomes much richer without the explanations.
And by the sound of Ford's voice, he wasn't particularly thrilled with it either.
Maybe I'm just not a fan of the voice over in general, I dont know.
And the film wasn't concieved & shot with a voice over in the directors mind. It always felt false to me, and totally unneccessary.
I do understand the need to preserve the original release.
Its just that the whole film changes without it....and for the better.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri May 26, 2006 11:28 am

Yeah - I much prefer the DC - but I too had a soft spot for the voiceover - apart from anything, that's the version I saw for years and years. The voiceover did tie it in with detective fiction and noir quite nicely. I had much less of a problem with the voiceover than I did with those stupid shots at the end - which I believe were out-takes from The Shining......
User avatar
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:42 am
Location: London, England

Postby Peven on Fri May 26, 2006 2:34 pm

the story, from Variety, as reported over at comingsoon.net,



Blade Runner Final Cut is Coming
Source: Variety May 26, 2006


Warner Home Video has disentangled the rights issues for Blade Runner to pave the way for a September reissue of the remastered "Director's Cut" version, followed by a theatrical release of a version promised to be truly Ridley Scott's final cut.

Variety says that Warner's rights to Blade Runner lapsed a year ago, but the studio has since negotiated a long-term license. The film, now considered a sci-fi classic, has had a troubled history from the start: When Scott ran overbudget, completion bond guarantors took control of it and made substantial changes before its 1982 theatrical release, adding a voiceover and happy ending. That version was replaced by the much better-received director's cut in 1992, but Scott has long been unhappy with it, complaining that he was rushed and unable to give it proper attention.

The helmer started working on the final cut version in 2000, but that project was shelved by Warner soon after, apparently because the studio couldn't come to terms with Jerry Perenchio over rights issues.

The trade adds that the restored "Director's Cut" will debut on home video in September, and remain on sale for four months only, after which time it will be placed on moratorium.

"Blade Runner: Final Cut" will arrive in 2007 for a limited 25th anniversary theatrical run, followed by a special edition DVD with the three previous versions offered as alternate viewing: Besides the original theatrical version and director's cut, the expanded international theatrical cut will be included. The set will also contain additional bonus materials.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14152
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby The Vicar on Fri May 26, 2006 2:36 pm

Ah, thanks Peven.
Expanded international theatrical cut?
That's a new one to me.
Anyone know about that?

Sounds like I must have this release.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby unikrunk on Fri May 26, 2006 2:40 pm

I kind of liked the V.O in the originals. But not the original ending. I was reading an interview with Scott, and he said that the footage at the end is from The Shining.

/weird
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri May 26, 2006 2:42 pm

I saw both versions of the film when I was younger without knowing about the changes. When I saw the Director's Cut, I literally said out loud, "Wasn't there voice over here before?"

Now I'm dying to go back and see it in the original form, then watch the DC again.
User avatar
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby The Vicar on Fri May 26, 2006 4:02 pm

unikrunk wrote:I kind of liked the V.O in the originals. But not the original ending. I was reading an interview with Scott, and he said that the footage at the end is from The Shining.

/weird


The original ending is crap, but they lifted the footage from The Shining?
I wonder how in hell that happened.

Weird is the word...
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby unikrunk on Fri May 26, 2006 4:12 pm

The Vicar wrote:
unikrunk wrote:I kind of liked the V.O in the originals. But not the original ending. I was reading an interview with Scott, and he said that the footage at the end is from The Shining.

/weird


The original ending is crap, but they lifted the footage from The Shining?
I wonder how in hell that happened.

Weird is the word...


I guess the studio owned the footage. I checked it out, and it certainly is; if you look closely, you can see it’s an AMC Hornet or something like that.
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby The Vicar on Fri May 26, 2006 4:53 pm

An AMC Hornet?
In the future?
Okay, there's a certain amount of irony attached to that.
And a new entry into the legend that is Bladerunner.
A Shining/Bladerunner crossover connection.
I love these odd little details.

Looking at it right now ( the original end sequence)....goddam, I owe Unikrunk a nice f'at Cuban cigar. It sure looks like an AMC something or other. Well played, sir.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby unikrunk on Fri May 26, 2006 5:08 pm

And as always, a tip o' the hat to you, dear Vicar.
He can't' love you back...
Image
User avatar
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am

Postby CENOBITE on Mon May 29, 2006 5:27 pm

More from the Hollywoodreporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/home_video/ar ticle_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002576544

Next year, to celebrate the film's 25th anniversary, Warner will release "Blade Runner: The Final Cut," which it is billing as Scott's "definitive new version" of the film. After a limited theatrical release, the newly spruced-up "Runner" will be released in a multidisc special edition DVD that also will include the original theatrical cut, the expanded international theatrical cut and the 1992 director's cut.

"This is clearly Ridley's signature film, and we are thrilled to have it back," Warner senior vp and general manager of theatrical catalog Jeff Baker said.

He said that while specifics about the two DVD editions will be announced later, Warner wanted to announce its release plans early "to get this great news to the many serious film buffs and ardent 'Blade Runner' fans who have been so patient, despite besieging us with thousands of annual requests in recent years for new 'Blade Runner' DVDs."

" 'Blade Runner: The Director's Cut' was one of the very first titles to be released on DVD, and so it came out before optimal formatting standards had been established," said Doug Pratt, editor of the DVD-LaserDisc Newsletter. "Shortly afterwards, it went into moratorium. The early adopters who bought the title have long since wished to see it upgraded, while other fans, who came into DVDs later on, have been unable to find it at all. It is the only 'big' sci-fi spectacle currently unavailable on DVD."

"Runner" stars Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos and Daryl Hannah and won plaudits -- as well as two Oscar nominations -- for its dark, bleak vision of the future. Ford heads the cast as Rick Deckard, a futuristic cop -- the film is set in 2019 Los Angeles -- who needs to kill four errant human clones who hijack a space ship back to Earth after escaping from exile in an off-world colony.

The film bowed in theaters in summer 1982, and while it only grossed $26.2 million, it quickly became a cult classic. The film is based on the novel by late science fiction writer Philip K. Dick, whose prose also led to such films as "Total Recall," "Minority Report" and "Paycheck."
User avatar
CENOBITE
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Hollywood, CA

Postby Seppuku on Mon May 29, 2006 5:33 pm

I was gonna get a tattoo across my back saying "R-E-P-L-I-C-A-N-T" when I was younger, but the day before I was due to go into the parlour, I decided to give Dick's book a read, seeing as how it was one of the few I hadn't actually read. And lo and behold, I found out it was created just for the movie and that in the book they were simply referred to as Androids (err hence the title I guess).

I still prefer the word Replicant, but I'm glad I didn't permanently dawdle it on myself.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Postby sonnyboo on Mon May 29, 2006 8:41 pm

sputo wrote:I don't get the part about the "original stems from Vangelis", was there music missing in all versions?


This means it will have some picture changes (meaning re-edits) so they need "stems" or individual elements of the music so they can re-track it to match the new picture edits.

The "director's cut" is not exactly a director's cut. It's just a few minor tweaks but not nearly the amount Ridley intended to change or do differently.

The book FUTURE NOIR covers this extensively and there is an alternate cut of the film that's even more different than the director's cut, but it had temp music some temp FX shots so it is unsuitable for any kind of release, so they are have put something new together, but as has been stated - legal issues are abound over ownership & control since this was before Ridley Scott could command final cut & control over a feature.
User avatar
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Hollywood, Ohio USA

Postby sonnyboo on Mon May 29, 2006 8:48 pm

The Vicar wrote:
The original ending is crap, but they lifted the footage from The Shining?
I wonder how in hell that happened.


Also from the book FUTURE NOIR THE MAKING OF BLADE RUNNER - when they were tacking on the happy ending Ridley Scott called on Stanley Kubrick personally, althought they had never met or spoken before, and asked if Stanley had any left over footage he could use, describing the scene.

Ridley said he could use whatever he sent as long as it wasnt' footage that was used in the final cut of THE SHINING. Low and behold they were sent over many many HOURS of footage shot in Colorado from a helictoper. They transferred the 1.85 (flat) footage to 2.35 (scope) and cropped out the car from the Shining that Jack Nicholsen drove.
User avatar
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Hollywood, Ohio USA

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed May 31, 2006 3:48 am

IGN has more details here!

Double dipping so don't be fooled by the initial release.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby colonel_lugz on Wed May 31, 2006 3:51 am

Subsequently, there will be a multi-disc Special Edition DVD release which will contain three alternate versions of the film: the original U.S. theatrical cut, the expanded international theatrical cut and the 1992 director's cut. "Ample, groundbreaking bonus features will also be included,


Ill hold on for that one
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
User avatar
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 4864
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:09 pm
Location: London

Postby wonkabar on Wed May 31, 2006 4:04 am

colonel_lugz wrote:
Subsequently, there will be a multi-disc Special Edition DVD release which will contain three alternate versions of the film: the original U.S. theatrical cut, the expanded international theatrical cut and the 1992 director's cut. "Ample, groundbreaking bonus features will also be included,


Ill hold on for that one


More...

Thedigitalbits wrote: This coming September, there will be a new limited DVD release (HD-DVD & Blu-ray Disc are also planned) of the restored 1992 Director's Cut (you know... the one that isn't really a director's cut). This will be available for just four months. We believe this is basically the 2-disc release that Warner had originally planned to bow LAST year.

Then next year, just in time for the film's 25th anniversary, Ridley Scott's ultimate Blade Runner: The Final Cut will hit theaters for a limited run. This will be a REAL director's cut, with restored scenes and more - all the stuff that Ridley's always wanted to do with the film but hasn't really been given the chance to do before. That will be followed later in the year by an Ultimate Blade Runner DVD release. You can expect a multi-disc box set (again, likely with a simultaneous HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc release) that will contain at least four different versions of the film... ALL in full anamorphic widescreen, we might add. You'll get the film's original U.S. theatrical cut, you'll get the expanded international theatrical cut, you'll get the 1992 Director's Cut and you'll get the new Final Cut as well. Now... we realize at this point, you may have questions. Keep in mind, there's a TON of additional material that's going to be included in this set that hasn't been announced and can't be talked about yet - all-new material that you've never seen before. The set is pretty early in the planning and production stage, so it's way too early to talk details, but trust us... some very cool stuff is in the works. These extras will likely be different from the September '06 release, so if you buy both you'll at least be getting your money's worth.
Image
User avatar
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF
 
Posts: 6219
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: The Double Douche

Postby Fried Gold on Wed May 31, 2006 12:16 pm

So, we're going to get....

The 1992 Director's Cut in September.
Then the all-new "Final Cut" in the cinema.
THEN a new Ultimate boxset with the four different versions and some other stuff.

I bet someone still complains.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13906
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Postby The Vicar on Wed May 31, 2006 1:02 pm

sonnyboo wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
The original ending is crap, but they lifted the footage from The Shining?
I wonder how in hell that happened.


Also from the book FUTURE NOIR THE MAKING OF BLADE RUNNER - when they were tacking on the happy ending Ridley Scott called on Stanley Kubrick personally, althought they had never met or spoken before, and asked if Stanley had any left over footage he could use, describing the scene.

Ridley said he could use whatever he sent as long as it wasnt' footage that was used in the final cut of THE SHINING. Low and behold they were sent over many many HOURS of footage shot in Colorado from a helictoper. They transferred the 1.85 (flat) footage to 2.35 (scope) and cropped out the car from the Shining that Jack Nicholsen drove.
\

That is great stuff.
Can't get enough of it.
That there is a bridge connecting The Shining & Bladerunner is utterly atomic, as Pete Townsend used to say.
Too cool.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm

Did someone call for me?
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed May 31, 2006 1:16 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Did someone call for me?



Yeah sorry. They said it was a duck call, not an Atomic call...

Image
User avatar
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Location: Samonkey Island

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:04 pm

I just got my grubby hands on the documentary THE EDGE OF BLADE RUNNER, a BBC special not technically available in the U.S.

This is a 51 minute documentary with all kinds of interviews, deleted scenes, and just amazing insights in the the making of BLADE RUNNER. I Love the honesty in Ridley Scott talking about how much he & Harrison Ford didn't like each other much. It's a great bit if anyone can find it and let's hope this is included in the DVD set...
User avatar
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Hollywood, Ohio USA

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:30 am

sonnyboo wrote:I just got my grubby hands on the documentary THE EDGE OF BLADE RUNNER, a BBC special not technically available in the U.S.

This is a 51 minute documentary with all kinds of interviews, deleted scenes, and just amazing insights in the the making of BLADE RUNNER. I Love the honesty in Ridley Scott talking about how much he & Harrison Ford didn't like each other much. It's a great bit if anyone can find it and let's hope this is included in the DVD set...


That sounds extremely groovy.
How did you get a hold of this?
I want one!
I want one!
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:53 pm

Ebay, and pretty darn cheap I might add.

The additional extras are good too (except the exceprts from the WORKPRINT).
User avatar
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Hollywood, Ohio USA

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:57 pm

sonnyboo wrote:Ebay, and pretty darn cheap I might add.

The additional extras are good too (except the exceprts from the WORKPRINT).


Hot stinking damn
I am on my way to Ebay.
Thanks for the tip!
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby happydude3 on Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:49 am

The Vicar: I'm new to the board and only just discovered the thread, but: the expanded international cut was the same as the 1982 theatrical cut except for a few more seconds of gore when Rutger pokes Tyrell's eyes out. It was in the initial American video release, but frankly drew to much attention to itself and felt out of place to me. And count me amongst those, who loved the narration. I've heard rumour that the "Final cut" will actually include some of it as he came to like it in the end. But again, just rumour.
happydude3
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby nodforlife on Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:04 am

I met Rutger Hauer the other week. We can't smoke in our building, but he decided to go into the bathroom and light up, even though the door to go outside was 10 feet behind him.
nodforlife
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:08 am
Location: Sunny Los Angeles

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:04 am

nodforlife wrote:I met Rutger Hauer the other week. We can't smoke in our building, but he decided to go into the bathroom and light up, even though the door to go outside was 10 feet behind him.


This just makes him cooler, just so we're clear :wink:
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
User avatar
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6434
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Crawling along a razor's edge

Postby sonnyboo on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:52 am

happydude3 wrote:I've heard rumour that the "Final cut" will actually include some of it as he came to like it in the end. But again, just rumour.


I doubt it. Ridley absolutely detests any part of the narration and has publicly said so in many many interviews. I think where this might be coming from is that the 2007 DVD release will include the original cut that had narration, so people who did like it will have the chance to have it on DVD...

right before the format becomes obsolete and replaced by HD-DVD/Blue-Ray.
User avatar
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Hollywood, Ohio USA

Postby happydude3 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:02 pm

Yeah, I suspect your right. I found that rumor on a Blade Runner site, nerd that I am. I'm one of the people that loves the narration, actually, although my ideal cut would include it and exclude the happy ending.
happydude3
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:26 pm

I don't mind the narration, but I don't miss it when it's not their either. Since I saw the movie several times WITH the narration, I guess that has me effected everytime I see it without, I know what he meant...

It's hard to say if I had seen it the other way first I'd make a preference.
User avatar
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Hollywood, Ohio USA

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:53 pm

nodforlife wrote:I met Rutger Hauer the other week. We can't smoke in our building, but he decided to go into the bathroom and light up, even though the door to go outside was 10 feet behind him.


Hah!
That's nifty.
It was cigarettes, wasn't it?

The story ends there?
You didn't go "holy %$#@, I'm smoking with Roy Batty !!! "??
Does Rutger live in your building, or just visiting?
Tres cool, oui?
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:50 pm

What does Roy care about cancer or second hand smoke?! He's about
to run out of life shortly anyway!

I'm picturing yr building looking exactly like the final scenes of BLADE
RUNNER.

Can't f**kin wait for this DVD.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

Next

Return to DVD / Blu-ray

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest