Blade Runner: The Final Cut

Betamax and beyond

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:04 pm

At The Bradbury Arms? ( I think that was its name in Bladerunner)

That same building was used in an episode of Outer Limits called The Demon with the Glass Hand ( by Harlan Ellison).

Wonder if its still about?
I hope so.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:08 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:16 pm

Sweet links, ZZS.
Excellant, in fact.

Guess I have to go to LA now.
Merde.
The Vicar

Postby Conde Alcala on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:11 am

Hello, sorry but is there any news on the 2007 Blade Runner Se's? And what about that supposed theatrical re-release? (don't think it will happen here in mexico...But the Alien theatrical re-release happened so there's still hope...)
YOUR REVOLUTION IS OVER, MR. LEBOWSKI! CONDOLENCES! THE BUMS LOST! MY ADVICE IS TO DO WHAT YOUR PARENTS DID: GET A JOB, SIR!!! THE BUMS WILL ALWAYS LOOSE! DO YOU HEAR ME, MR. LEBOWSKI?!? THE BUMS WILL ALWAYS *slam*
Conde Alcala
GLIB

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:16 am

Please reduce the size of your avatar. Anything over 200 pixels stretches out the page and thus is not allowed.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:36 pm

No new news in months on this. I want my UBER edition of BLADE RUNNER. I've held off on buying any copies on DVD so that I can get this edition, hopefully including the BBC documentary EDGE OF FOREVER too.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fawst on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:59 pm

Is the original cardboard cover DVD of this out of print, really? I bought it when it came out, didn't realize it was OOP. Of course, I had The Killer in my hands and put it back, too, so I guess it's Karma that I have BR.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:49 am

Fawst wrote:Is the original cardboard cover DVD of this out of print, really? I bought it when it came out, didn't realize it was OOP. Of course, I had The Killer in my hands and put it back, too, so I guess it's Karma that I have BR.

They re-released the "Director's Cut" 1992 version anamorphic & dual layer a few months ago, so I don't think that disc has much value...

The Criterion Collection Spinal Tap is worth hudnreds of dollars on DVD, though...
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby lujho on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:25 pm

Check out this weird bit of news from Joanna Cassidy's official site:

http://www.joannacassidy.com/welcome.htm

"Joanna has just finished re-shooting her scenes from the original BLADE RUNNER movie. Joanna is wearing her original outfit (which she kept over from the first production). These new scenes will be part of the upcoming special BLADE RUNNER DVD re-release. Check back for more details."

It'll be interesting to see how extensive this stuff is and how well it'll be integrated into the film. Perhaps some digital de-aging will be used. Perhaps he's just fixing up the scene where Zorah's obviously wearing a body stocking?

But if they're shooting new stuff with one of the actors, imagine what else they're doing. Could be some really good stuff if Scott shows a bit of restraint and "fixes" the movie in a Star Trek: TMP type way and not a Star Wars: SE way. And thankfully he's not going to deny us the other existing versions so even if the new one sucks (which I doubt) we'll have our preferred versions.
Luke
lujho
GLIB

Postby wonkabar on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:33 pm

Jesus Christ, just come out with it already!
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:51 pm

Yeah, but for the love of God don't let it be:

Blade Runner - The "We've fucked with it, now there's three versions" Edition.

Re-shooting scenes? Eh, no thanks.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby wonkabar on Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:04 pm

Maybe Platinum Dunes should just remake it
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:30 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:Yeah, but for the love of God don't let it be:

There have already been six versions according to the "On the Edge of Blade Runner" documentary.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:37 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:Yeah, but for the love of God don't let it be:

There have already been six versions according to the "On the Edge of Blade Runner" documentary.

Really? Theatrical Cut & Directors Cut... did they do a "Director's ending, but with the Narrator" version or something?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:44 pm

I think it was:

Domestic version (the one with the narration)
TV version #1 (with violence)
TV version #2 (without violence)
Workprint #1
Workprint #2 (which was released and led to....)
Director's Cut
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby lujho on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:39 pm

I think that, seeing how it's Zhora who's been doing the re-shooting, that it may just be fixing the very obvious technical gaffes involved with her death scene, where her body double is obvious and also a body stocking that is very obvious when she's supposed to be nearly naked.

re-shooting her scenes wholesale sounds drastic and rather pointless. For all we know the "re-shooting" is just in front of a greenscreen for some digital head replacement or something.
Luke
lujho
GLIB

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:41 am

I THINK THIS IS VERY FUCKIGN EXCITING! :-)

CASSIDY/REPLICANT ZORA SHOOTS NEW SCENES! :-)
Here's a surprising factoid - twenty five years after its theatrical release, new scenes were shot for Ridley Scott's "Blade Runner" it would seem.

Since the DVD format became popular, fans have been clamoring for Scott's "final cut" of the film, his true definitive version of the sci-fi epic rather than the rushed 1992 "Director's Cut" which Scott has publicly stated he was unhappy with.

Though work began in 2000 on the disc set, legal issues and other factors have delayed it for years. Then late last year it was confirmed that the film would be finally coming out in a massive multi-disc box set sometime in the second half of 2007 to celebrate the film's 25th anniversary.

Anticipation remains high. Scott's "Legend" and "Kingdom of Heaven", two films which received mixed reaction upon release, scored lavish 'final cut' DVD editions in the last few years with the longer versions garnering far more acclaim than their original counterparts.

In any case this week saw a surprising new twist in the story. Actress Joanna Cassidy, famous for playing the Replicant Zhora in "Blade Runner", released the following comment on her official site:

"Joanna has just finished re-shooting her scenes from the original BLADE RUNNER movie. Joanna is wearing her original outfit (which she kept over from the first production). These new scenes will be part of the upcoming special BLADE RUNNER DVD re-release. Check back for more details."

This is surprising news, begging the question of how much new footage was shot and what impact it will have on the final cut. I'll update you with more as it happens.
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:34 am

Uh, Boba? What part of a the Lujho's post from about a the 6 posts back dinna you understand, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:43 am

I don't get what you're saying Dino?

No one has posted this story... your old age playing tricks on you again? :-)

I gave you the number of that home... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:02 am

silentbobafett wrote:I don't get what you're saying Dino?

No one has posted this story... your old age playing tricks on you again? :-)

Uh, paisan?

lujho wrote:Check out this weird bit of news from Joanna Cassidy's official site:

http://www.joannacassidy.com/welcome.htm

It'll be interesting to see how extensive this stuff is and how well it'll be integrated into the film. Perhaps some digital de-aging will be used. Perhaps he's just fixing up the scene where Zorah's obviously wearing a body stocking?

Holy crappa, I'm a beginning to think that you're living inna your own a reality, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby lujho on Mon May 14, 2007 6:55 am

Check it out - detailss of the new DVD. 5 disks! This is going to be awesome, considering the pedigree of who's producing the discs.

This is for the super-deluxe version with fancy packaging and collectibles - presumably there will be a cheaper discs-only version too. And I'm sure the US version will be cheaper than the cost of this Aussie one too, stuff like that is usually overpriced here when compared to the US versions.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/793565

Can't wait for this.
Luke
lujho
GLIB

Postby sonnyboo on Mon May 14, 2007 7:39 pm

Freakin' sweeeeeet.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:22 pm

Looks like a trailer for the new Bladerunner release, with new footage, is going to air during the AFI 100 best films special tonight:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33078
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:36 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Looks like a trailer for the new Bladerunner release, with new footage, is going to air during the AFI 100 best films special tonight:

That is the greatest Talkback ever. It even beats out the Indy 4 titles.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:04 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Looks like a trailer for the new Bladerunner release, with new footage, is going to air during the AFI 100 best films special tonight:

Just saw this... looks pretty fucking sweet. I'm no Blade Runner conniseuer, so I can't really tell what looked different.

(Yes, I'm too lazy to find out how to spell connisiuerrr)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:54 pm

Yeah, I just watched the commercial to and I couldn't pick out a single new shot... Maybe it's me.

Be nice if all the talk about it being re-released in theatres came to something. That would be neat.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:17 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Yeah, I just watched the commercial to and I couldn't pick out a single new shot... Maybe it's me.

Be nice if all the talk about it being re-released in theatres came to something. That would be neat.

*cough*IMAX*cough*
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:06 pm

Lookie what I found....

Blade Runner - Final Cut (Official Trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpNRph3GyhE

There are a couple new shots (the 2 chicks with hockey masks in tubes dancing is notorious from the WORKPRINT version only), plus it looks like the execution, slo-mo shots of ZHORA are re-done (there was a blatant stunt woman who looked nothing like the actress originally).
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby tapehead on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:08 am

About the official trailer for the 'final cut edition' - that's Clint Mansell's music performed by Mogwai and the Chronos Quartet from The Fountain! from the first time we hear Eldon Tyrell say 'More Human than Human is our motto, until we hear it again. Can anyone who saw it on tv confirm this? I'm always a bit dubious of stuff I see on Youtube.

Interesting choice.
Last edited by tapehead on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:10 am

I saw it on tv, and it looks exactly the same to me.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:12 am

The go-go chicks in the hockey masks are new.

I kind of hate the way the trailer is edited - too many dissolves and overlapping shots.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:59 pm

Bumped for that dude.

Ridley Scott (in Total Film) has said that the DVD is nearing completion, due for an Autumn release. The cinema release will probably be around the same time, supposedly with a premiere at the Venice Film Festival.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:46 am

Well, it's on sale at Amazon.

MOD EDIT: The Dino, he fixed a your inna'sanely long link a 'cos a the goddamn side-scroll, eh? You goddamn putz!

Here's the press release.

The 5-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition includes everything from the previously described 4-Disc Edition, plus the ultra-rare, near-legendary WORKPRINT version of the film, newly remastered. The Ultimate Collector's Edition will be presented in a unique 5-disc digi-package with handle which is a stylish version of Rick Deckard's own briefcase, in addition each briefcase will be individually numbered and in limited supply. Included is a lenticular motion film clip from the original feature, miniature origami unicorn figurine, miniature replica spinner car, collector's photographs as well as a signed personal letter from Sir Ridley Scott.

Disc One
RIDLEY SCOTT'S ALL-NEW "FINAL CUT" VERSION OF THE FILM

Restored and remastered with added & extended scenes, added lines, new and cleaner special effects and all new 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio. Also includes:

- Commentary by Ridley Scott

- Commentary by Executive Producer/ Co-Screenwriter Hampton Fancher and Co-Screenwriter David Peoples; Producer Michael Deely and production executive Katherine Haber

- Commentaries by visual futurist Syd Mead; production designer Lawrence G. Paull, art director David L. Snyder and special photographic effects supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer

Disc Two
DOCUMENTARY - DANGEROUS DAYS: MAKING BLADE RUNNER

A feature-length authoritative documentary revealing all the elements that shaped this hugely influential cinema landmark. Cast, crew, critics and colleagues give a behind-the-scenes, in-depth look at the film -- from its literary roots and inception through casting, production, visuals and special effects to its controversial legacy and place in Hollywood history.

Disc Three
1982 THEATRICAL VERSION

This is the version that introduced U.S. movie-going audiences to a revolutionary film with a new and excitingly provocative vision of the near-future. It contains Deckard/Harrison Ford's character narration and has Deckard and Rachel's (Sean Young) "happy ending" escape scene.

1982 INTERNATIONAL VERSION

Also used on U.S. home video, laserdisc and cable releases up to 1992. This version is not rated, and contains some extended action scenes in contrast to the Theatrical Version.

1992 DIRECTOR'S CUT

The Director's Cut omits Deckard's voiceover narration and removes the "happy ending" finale. It adds the famously-controversial "unicorn" sequence, a vision that Deckard has which suggests {SHRUNKEN FOR POSSIBLE SPOILERS} that he, too, may be a replicant.

Disc Four
BONUS DISC - "Enhancement Archive"

- Featurette The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick
- Featurette Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. The Film
- Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews (Audio)
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Cover Gallery (Images)
- The Art of Blade Runner (Image Galleries)
- Featurette Signs of the Times: Graphic Design
- Featurette Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling
- Screen Tests: Rachel & Pris
- Featurette The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth
- Unit Photography Gallery
- Deleted & Alternate Scenes
- 1982 Promotional Featurettes
- Trailers & TV Spots
- Featurette Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art
- Marketing & Merchandise Gallery (Images)
- Featurette Deck-A-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard
- Featurette Nexus Generation: Fans & Filmmakers
Disc Five
WORKPRINT VERSION

This rare version of the film is considered by some to be the most radically different of all the Blade Runner cuts. It includes an altered opening scene, no Deckard narration until the final scenes, no "unicorn" sequence, no Deckard/Rachel "happy ending," altered lines between Batty (Rutger Hauer) and his creator Tyrell (Joe Turkell), alternate music and much more.

Also includes:

- Commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
- Featurette All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut

This is one hell of a DVD set. Already pre-ordered.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 am

Fuck...

I guess my decision to constantly hold off on buying this film has paid off...
That sounds awesome...

What kinda price range is this sitting at...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Nordling on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:54 am

Amazon has it for $54.99 right now, but that's certain to change. It's also a limited edition, so I'd scoop in there pretty quick.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:55 am

Nordling wrote:Amazon has it for $54.99 right now, but that's certain to change. It's also a limited edition, so I'd scoop in there pretty quick.

Sweet...

I'll check it out...

Thnx for the update...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:56 am

This may be were Nordling's info came from, but here's the link to the full-on press release:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/br2007/announce.html

I was hoping it'd come with a fully-functional Voight-Kampf machine.

Or an inflatable Rachel.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:11 am

That's CHEAP for a set of that magnitude. I paid twice that for my Alien Quadrilogy, and that wasn't even the GOOD version, it was the original set they put out. Bah.

So what do we get when the inevitable HD/Bluray version comes out? :D
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:17 am

Those are actually coming out at the same time, I think.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:03 pm

I guess I have to have this, since Bladerunner is a frakking masterpiece.
But this better be the LAST definitive version of the film.
The Vicar

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:36 pm

Fawst wrote:That's CHEAP for a set of that magnitude.

YOUR DVD PLAYER CAN'T REPEL VALUE OF THAT MAGNITUDE.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:53 pm

LOL, no, it certainly can't!

My dropping 500 bucks on tires, 200-something on a new exhaust system and my half of rent being due next week can...
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:39 pm

The Vicar wrote:But this better be the LAST definitive version of the film.

Well, it's a coming out onna the HD anna Blu-Ray, so it's a the last definitive version atta least unna'til a the next format, eh?

Hehehehe...

The Dino, he's a still a holding out onna the extended edition of a my Kong that I sold to a the NBC back inna the day, eh? Goddamn Universal putzes, they gotta to strike while a the iron, she was a hot, no? But inna'stead, they just a re-release a the goddamn theatrical version, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby sonnyboo on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:34 am

I am a Blade Runner fanatic. Seeing the new Zhora footage on Yahoo made me smile a lot. I am pleased to see either a digital head replacement or even entirely new shots of Joanna Cassidy replacing the stunt-woman (or man) who played Zhora in Slow motion in the original versions. This was a laughing point for a movie with very few laughs and one not intended. I can't wait to get the 5 disc set. I even want the work print.

A little disappointed that the BBC documentary did NOT make the cut since it was never released in the U.S. proper. EDGE OF BLADE RUNNER rocked, although I shan't scoff at the new 3.5 hour documentary that includes interviews with HARRISON FORD who generally refused to speak on the making of BLADE RUNNER. That's a coup.

More human than human.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:46 pm

sonnyboo wrote:I am a Blade Runner fanatic. Seeing the new Zhora footage on Yahoo made me smile a lot. I am pleased to see either a digital head replacement or even entirely new shots of Joanna Cassidy replacing the stunt-woman (or man) who played Zhora in Slow motion in the original versions. This was a laughing point for a movie with very few laughs and one not intended. I can't wait to get the 5 disc set. I even want the work print.

A little disappointed that the BBC documentary did NOT make the cut since it was never released in the U.S. proper. EDGE OF BLADE RUNNER rocked, although I shan't scoff at the new 3.5 hour documentary that includes interviews with HARRISON FORD who generally refused to speak on the making of BLADE RUNNER. That's a coup.

More human than human.

"On the Edge of Blade Runner" was a Channel 4 documentary and I have a copy of it should you desperately want it. (it's on par with the "Alien Evolution" doc from the same people) I would think the new doc might makes it fairly redundant though.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:04 pm

Just pre-ordered it. Really a deal. Happy Christmas!
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby sonnyboo on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:09 am

Fried Gold wrote:I have a copy of it should you desperately want it.

Already got it, plus it's available in it's entirety online at Google Video
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:41 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Well, it's a coming out onna the HD anna Blu-Ray, so it's a the last definitive version atta least unna'til a the next format, eh?

Hehehehe...

The Dino, he's a still a holding out onna the extended edition of a my Kong that I sold to a the NBC back inna the day, eh? Goddamn Universal putzes, they gotta to strike while a the iron, she was a hot, no? But inna'stead, they just a re-release a the goddamn theatrical version, eh?

I'm waiting for the virtual reality version, where you live the film, emerge and find a model unicorn waiting for you on the hallway floor.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:09 am

sonnyboo wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I have a copy of it should you desperately want it.

Already got it, plus it's available in it's entirety online at Google Video

It really is one of the best film documentaries I've seen. This new one is going to have to be something special. Sounds like it'll be akin to the immense featurettes on the Alien Quadrilogy box.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:15 am

magicmonkey wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

Hehehehe...

I'm waiting for the virtual reality version, where you live the film, emerge and find a model unicorn waiting for you on the hallway floor.

That's what I'm talking about, mate!
I want that!

The work print sounds fascinating....guess I know what I'm getting myself for Xmas this year....
The Vicar

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray