9%
Got no use for it
13%
I use blockbuster's thing
No votes

Total votes : 32

Got Netflix?

Postby Petri on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:53 pm

Man, I love the Netflix. Obscure movies that I don't have to worry about returning. Oh yeah.

Who else here uses Netflix though?

Do you like it? Do you get "throttled"? Do you need more friends on your friends list?

Post (or PM) me your email and I'll send you a friend invite, then you can keep me accountable because friends don't let friends rent Glitter.

Or send me an invite

Petri33@gmail.com
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:54 pm

King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:55 pm

I've been a longtime member of Netflix but what is this friends thing you speak of? What does that entail?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Petri on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:56 pm

It basically shows you what your friends are renting and how they rate movies.

I pick my next movies alot of times based on what my friends thought of movies since most people I pick as friends have pretty good taste
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby tfactor on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:58 pm

I hate the idea of creating a list and NOT choosing when I get which movie, I suppose it works for people who don't care when they see the movies they choose but I'm a little more particular than that.

I'm a blockbuster junkie, speaking of which I need my "fix" since the hills have eyes just got released today. I better go so I can get there before they are all gone.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:00 pm

I keep weird hours, so Netflix works for me. I'm thinking of upping my disc count since I keep jonesing for a DVD fix on the days when my discs are in transit.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:03 pm

tfactor wrote:I hate the idea of creating a list and NOT choosing when I get which movie, I suppose it works for people who don't care when they see the movies they choose but I'm a little more particular than that.

You do get to choose. You line them up in an online Queue. First, second, third--they mail them to you in order. If it's in high demand, it might says "Short Wait" to "Very Long Wait," but that really has only happened to me around Oscar time.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Petri on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:03 pm

3-at-a-time works great for me since I usually at least have 1 at home at all times. It helps that there's a distribution center in Houston.

Tfactor - For someone who watches alot of new releases Netflix isn't as convenient as driving to the local Blockbuster day of release, but for someone like me that likes to rent older movies, it's great because you can always get them where you can't always get them at Blockbuster
Last edited by Petri on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:05 pm

I have a center real close to me here, so close that when I send them out they sometimes get them the very next morning.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:07 pm

I think I'd be scared to know the weird things my fellow Zoners are renting . . . and liking. :P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:09 pm

I have a pretty regular 2-day turnaround. If I put one in the mail on Monday, I'll have the next one on Wednesday. (Speaking of which, Sopranos Season Five comes today!!)

I was told a while ago that Blockbuster had a system where once your envelope was scanned in at the Post Office, your next selection was chosen and sent right away--BEFORE the envelope actually got back to Blockbuster HQ. It would make sense that Netflix has adopted a similar policy, otherwise I must live really close to a center as well.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tfactor on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:09 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:You do get to choose. You line them up in an online Queue. First, second, third--they mail them to you in order. If it's in high demand, it might says "Short Wait" to "Very Long Wait," but that really has only happened to me around Oscar time.

see I did not know that, a guy I worked with told me he usually has a week or two wait for new releases and that was really all I needed to hear. If I don't see something in theatres I usually try to get it the day it's released to dvd

Don't get me wrong I'm all for your non-traditional blockbuster rental programs where late fees are non-applicable, actually I do the 2 at a time rental with no late fees. So maybe I should look into this..
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:13 pm

Netflix is like any other rental facility: they buy a bunch of copies of new releases to serve the most amount of customers as possible and then sell off the extra copies when demand dies down. I'd say more than half the time I stick a new release at the top of my queue I end up getting it in the mail within a few days. Sometimes I have to wait a week or two.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:14 pm

You do have to be patient at times, T. Cinderella Man took me three months to get. One or two others were about that long. (I'll just go rent them if I really want to see them ASAP.)

But they've got a great selection and the Queue is nice because you can throw on movies you might not otherwise think to rent. I've got a number of classics hanging around on my list, and every now and again I'll grab one and throw it to the top.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:15 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Netflix is like any other rental facility: they buy a bunch of copies of new releases to serve the most amount of customers as possible and then sell off the extra copies when demand dies down. I'd say more than half the time I stick a new release at the top of my queue I end up getting it in the mail within a few days. Sometimes I have to wait a week or two.

Right, that's pretty much always the case for me. Cinderella Man was a fluke.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tfactor on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:27 pm

well I just looked and price wise they certainly have blockbuster beat. 3 at a time for $17.99 vs $29 for 2 at a time from blockbuster.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:33 pm

And no due dates! Which might explain why sometimes you have to wait a month for a new release. ;)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Petri on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:45 pm

Yeah the no due dates is what does it for me. Who knows if I'll actually get to a movie within a week.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:51 pm

i have both netflix and blockbuster, because blockbuster has some titles netflix doesn't (and vice versa). in particular i've noticed that blockbuster is more likely to carry special editions, re-releases and extended editions whereas netflix often has only the oldest version of the dvd available. but netflix has a lot of titles that blockbuster doesn't. also, blockbuster gives you 2 coupons per month for free in-store rentals, which i usually use for new releases that i don't want to wait for.

i'm on the 2-at-a-time, 4-per-month program for both, so that adds up to a total of 10 dvd's per month (4 netflix, 4 blockbuster, plus 2 free blockbuster in-stores per month) which is about as much as i can watch in a month. i could watch more, but i also watch a lot of movies recorded on tivo off satellite, so 10 dvd's per month fill out what time i have left over. both netflix and blockbuster cost me $12 a month, so thats 10 movies for $24 or $2.40-per-movie. i may switch one of the two to a 3-at-a-time unlimited program at some point if i find myself wanting to get more dvds.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:00 pm

tfactor wrote:well I just looked and price wise they certainly have blockbuster beat. 3 at a time for $17.99 vs $29 for 2 at a time from blockbuster.

i don't know where you're getting those prices. blockbuster is also 17.99 for 3-at-a-time. also, blockbuster gives you up to 4 free coupons for in-store rentals every month. if you have to have new titles the day they're released, those coupons can be very useful (assuming your blockbuster is well-stocked on the newer titles; mine isn't always very reliable).

blockbuster used to be backed up a lot longer than netflix, but now they're about equal. some titles have longer waits on blockbuster, and some have longer waits on netflix. on the average i'd say they're about even these days.

if you like to rent lots of music dvd's and REALLY obscure films, you might be better off with netflix, they have a slightly better selection, though you'd be surprised how many titles blockbuster carries (a lot more than their stores, for sure). i think if you can use the free monthly coupons, blockbuster is the best choice for most people.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:10 pm

Yeah, Baxter, you're right about those Special Editions. I've been checking for the fucking Daredevil Director's Cut for ages and they don't carry it. And I refuse to try any harder to see that sucker.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tfactor on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:12 pm

The Baxter you better make sure your credit card (that's being used for blockbuster) doesn't expire or ever kick back the automated charge. The pricing has changed since you signed on for this program and that $17.99/per month deal is nolonger available in stores. ask next time you're there if you don't believe me, but I just had this happen to me.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby wonkabar on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:15 pm

Nobody really carries SE's. I haven't seen DD, Kingdom of Heaven, or Gladiator anywhere...other than to buy. Kinda bugs
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Vegeta on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:22 pm

Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:18 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:You do have to be patient at times, T. Cinderella Man took me three months to get. One or two others were about that long. (I'll just go rent them if I really want to see them ASAP.)

But they've got a great selection and the Queue is nice because you can throw on movies you might not otherwise think to rent. I've got a number of classics hanging around on my list, and every now and again I'll grab one and throw it to the top.

Apparently their copy of Transformers G1 season one was stolen cause I have been waiting on that one forever... :(
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Kilgore on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:36 pm

I sure hope there isn't a long waiting list next month for 'Edison Force'!

I've never heard of it before today, ever, but the synopsis I read made several references to 'Batman', and from the cover art and synopsis I could clearly see this stars Justin Timberlake, LL Cool J, Morgan Freeman, Cary Elwes, and Kevin Spacey.

And this is EXACTLY why I love Netflix, because due to the flagrant prominence of both Spacey and Freeman on the cover, I can tell that combined they are likely in about seven minutes of this movie, thus more scenes to chew for J-Lake, the Dredd Pirate Roberts (who is the villain) and my man LL. The Batman references let me know the plot will be very easy to follow. And the fact that I've never heard of it, EVER, and that many guys are in it, tells me it was shot on digital video, with little use of effects save a car chase, some futuristic (read: extra shiny) automatic weapons and somebody called in a lot of favors.

If I were in a video store, I would pick this up several visits in a row, yet, due to my swearing off of the drink two years ago, never rent it. Thanks to Netflix, it will arrive as a pleasant suprise in a couple months, and I will be ecstatic up until forty-five minutes in, when I either doze off, or proclaim it 'Worse than that fucking Species-rip-off that Jennifer Tilly was in'.

I LOVE YOU NETFLIX!
Last edited by Kilgore on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Petri on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:36 pm

Bob, you are the first person I've come across that has rated more netflix movies than me. Well done sir, well done.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:40 pm

Petri wrote:Bob, you are the first person I've come across that has rated more netflix movies than me. Well done sir, well done.

How many is that? I've rated 5921 movies as of two minutes ago.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Petri on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:42 pm

You aren't on my friends list. How would I know? He has 1264 rated. I only have 800 something.

Jeez Whedon, I think you win.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:47 pm

Thanks. I went through one day and started rating everything I saw. But damn how do I compete with the Master!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:59 pm

Am I the first to hit Toshiro in my Netflix rating count?

:D

:oops:

Does that make me a sad, sad person?
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:59 pm

Ha ha. I just saw Longest Yard the other day.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Petri on Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:46 pm

I honestly do not know how that was the next one sent. It was something like 24th on my list. Nothing had a short or long wait either.

Weird.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:52 pm

Man I sent it to you. Actually I saw it on cable...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:56 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Yeah, Baxter, you're right about those Special Editions. I've been checking for the fucking Daredevil Director's Cut for ages and they don't carry it. And I refuse to try any harder to see that sucker.

Ditto. It seems once Netflix buys something, that's it, unless they need new copies and the older versions are out of print or something.

Petri wrote:You aren't on my friends list. How would I know? He has 1264 rated. I only have 800 something.

Jeez Whedon, I think you win.

Yeah, MW wins, but I have rated around 1,718 myself. :)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:25 am

So that’s pretty neat. I can see a lot of similarities in movies.

So um Batman begins huh? I was very disappointed in the extras
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:26 am

MasterWhedon wrote:Yeah, Baxter, you're right about those Special Editions. I've been checking for the fucking Daredevil Director's Cut for ages and they don't carry it. And I refuse to try any harder to see that sucker.

Blockbuster Online has it. It's #20 in my queue right now. I also got the Gladiator Extended Edition from them. They don't have Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut or the recut version of Sin City though. I've been dying to see those two DVDs.

tfactor wrote:The Baxter you better make sure your credit card (that's being used for blockbuster) doesn't expire or ever kick back the automated charge. The pricing has changed since you signed on for this program and that $17.99/per month deal is nolonger available in stores. ask next time you're there if you don't believe me, but I just had this happen to me.

Here are all the plans and pricing taken from their website. There's a $29 program but it's for 5-at-a-time, not 3-at-a-time:

2 at a time limited, 4 rent(s) a month - $11.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
you will receive 2 movies at a time, limit of 4 per month plus two e-coupons/month for free in-store movie rentals.*
Other Offers:
Monthly Plans
1 at a time limited, 3 rent(s) a month - $7.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
you will receive 1 movie at a time, limit of 3 per month, plus two e-coupons each month for free in-store movie rentals.*
3 at a time, Unlimited rents - $17.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
you will receive unlimited movies, up to 3 at one time plus one in-store coupon each week for a free in-store movie rental.*

1 at a time, Unlimited rents - $9.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
you will receive unlimited movies, up to 1 at one time plus one ecoupon each week for a free in-store movie rental. Limited to 1 week rentals only.*
2 at a time, Unlimited rents - $14.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
you will receive unlimited movies, up to 2 at one time plus one e-coupon each week for a free in-store movie rental.*
5 at a time, Unlimited rents - $29.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
you will receive unlimited movies, up to 5 at one time plus one e-coupon each week for a free in-store movie rental.*
8 at a time, Unlimited rents - $47.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
you will receive unlimited movies, up to 8 at one time plus one e-coupon each week for a free in-store movie rental.*
1 at a time, Unlimited rents - $9.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
you will receive unlimited movies, 1 at a time plus two e-coupons/month for free in-store movie rentals.*
3 at a time, Unlimited rents - $17.99 for 1 month(s) plus applicable tax
you will receive unlimited movies, up to 3 at one time plus two e-coupons/month for free in-store movie rentals.*

if they're trying to get you to pay more than that in the store, then they're screwing you. go to the website and sign up there.

Blockbuster isn't going to charge $29 for the same program Netflix charges $18 for. they'd be out of business in a heartbeat. for a long time they were both trying to undercut each other's prices, but now they seem to have stabilized around $18.

p.s. i'm not trying to shill for blockbuster, like i said i have both, and i think they're both good, but if i could only keep one i'd keep blockbuster.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RockyDennis on Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:32 am

I use Netflix and I have few complaints. They did once send me a broken Cat Stevens concert video and when I reported it broken they somehow sent me four more copies over the next week.

The Blockbuster deal sounds good, but I still harbor feelings of pure hatred at the late fee Nazi's they were about ten years ago. I was so harassed by them over my late video rentals that I swore off the company forever.

If I do go to video store now it is my crappy local store where the video cassettes still outnumber dvds and you can rent 10 old movies for two weeks for 9.99.
RockyDennis
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Petri on Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:34 am

I typically rate based on quality of the movie, not extras. As such, I found Batman Begins to be as good maybe a bit better than Batman or Batman Returns.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:41 am

I just sent out a couple of invites to you guys.

My email is jluostari2001@yahoo.com for anyone else looking for additions to thier friends list.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:33 am

Ok then. I have added everyone I have seen, but I guess I should give mine as well.

jacobcolburn@yahoo.com

Original huh?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby tfactor on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:09 pm

thebaxter those are mailing programs, it's essentially blockbusters version of netflix. What I have is an unlimited "in store" rental program that I can go in to the store daily (if I wanted to) and swap my two rented movies for any two movies. Two at a time (in store), unlimited rental and NO MAILING DELAY $29

I looked thru the website and they don't really tell you about that program and in the stores they all seem to be pushing for the "online/mailing" programs. I just think it's fucked up that blockbuster had all that advertisement for "no more late fees" but really all they did was change the name from "late fee" to "restocking fee" and any of the shlubs that continue to pay those fees are morons clearly but many companies in this country unfortunately ploy and are willing to make money off peoples stupidity.

I am very interested to see what this rating system is about though, maybe I'll sign up for the minimal program (when I have money) because I am interested to know what you guys think.

Is it a scoring system or do you get to actually say a few words?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:49 pm

ok, i thought you were talking about the online rentals since we were comparing blockbuster to netflix. comparing netflix to the blockbuster "movie club" program or whatever they call it is sorta like apples and oranges.

i'd never sign up for one of those movie club deals, the online programs are so much better: no late fees, much greater selection, and a lot more convenient.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:54 pm

This friends feature is pretty cool.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:55 pm

jgraphix wrote:This friends feature is pretty cool.

I agree. Never tried it before.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby tfactor on Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:02 pm

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this lol

from my perspective the "movie club" or whatever has the same advantages (ie no late fees and unlimited rentals) but you're right the selection in the stores is probably not as broad as the online network's because blockbuster drops movies from the shelves monthly and it's all based on how much something gets rented, so good movies often get dropped.

However one of the best advantages to my preference is the ability to talk to the employees about what they may have seen or recommend seeing or are looking forward too. I like talking about movies (obviously I'm here) and though I do seriously disagree with some of their recommendations, I think it adds to the experience.

This one employee demanded I see Dead Alive, he said it was the best movie in the world and better than any other zombie movie ever blah blah blah - suffice it to say I thought the movie blew donkey balls but hay ...

to each their own right?

EDIT: for the record I am very interested in netflix because of this buddy thing and the ranking system, which I had no clue about previous to you guys talking about it. have I mentioned how much I love the zone lately?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:28 pm

yes we'll have to agree to disagree. i hate people and prefer to avoid having to talk to them as much as possible. (the zone doesn't count cos you're all really just little gnomes living inside my computer, and you're not real)

that said, blockbuster does give you up to 4 coupons per month for free in-store rentals, so you'd have the best of both worlds.

but blockbuster doesn't have the "friends" network that netflix has, so that may be more valuable to you. my only netflix friend is my gf, and it's convenient to be able to see what's in her queue so that if she's got something coming i want to see, i can take it out of my queue. but i get embarrassed sometimes that she'll look at my queue and see some of the utter crap i like to watch.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:24 pm

I think Netflix has more foreign and Blockbuster has more local and "blockbuster"(no pun intended) movies. I prefer Netflix cause I am down with the overseas movies...

I have considered getting both though. Unfortunately, I think my wife would kill me.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:51 pm

Netflix has a huge variety of foreign and "genre" films...for more obscure films check nicheflix.com
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Petri on Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:56 pm

I also love the foreign films and my wife hates them with a passion.

Glad I could introduce you guys to the "friends" feature of Netflix. Like I said before, it's how I get most of my ideas for my queue. For example, the "Cemetary Man" movie the jgraphix recommended I would have never known existed but I love zombie movies so I'm sure I'll love it.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Next

Return to DVD / Blu-ray