Nope, but I'm thinking about getting it
9%
Got no use for it
13%
I use blockbuster's thing
No votes

Total votes : 32

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:05 pm

Oh, you will. It's not your ordinary zombie fare...more like a zombie love story w/ a smokin hot and mostly nude Ana Fulchi.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:09 pm

I love the begining. Just the dead pan of it is great.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:10 pm

Yeah, I think it will be a purchase I will soon have to make to add to my zombiellection.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:57 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i hate people and prefer to avoid having to talk to them as much as possible. (the zone doesn't count cos you're all really just little gnomes living inside my computer, and you're not real)

It's like I'm staring into a mirror or something.

[Keanu Reeves]

Whoa.

[/Keanu Reeves]
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:43 pm

Bump for any new friends. I am liking this thing.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:17 pm

Dammit! What choices the UK? I think Blockbuster themselves do something similar over here - but I think even then you have to choose what you want, and get what you choose - I like the sounds of the queuing system, wish we had something similar over here :cry:
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:31 pm

The two biggest UK firms, formerly screenselect and lovefilm, have just now combined this very weekend to make..

lovefilm.com

I have been on with them for several months, Doc, and I can only testitfy to the undeniable, brilliant simplicity of the thing...

From what I can tell already too, the service already seems to be improved over what was a pretty high standard anyhow...

Honestly, it really doesn't compare, Doc, if movies is your fix, and I believe it might well be, then I can only reccomend it whole heartedly...
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:35 pm

Flumm wrote:The two biggest UK firms, formerly screenselect and lovefilm, have just now combined this very weekend to make..

lovefilm.com

I have been on with them for several months, Doc, and I can only testitfy to the undeniable, brilliant simplicity of the thing...

From what I can tell already too, the service already seems to be improved over what was a pretty high standard anyhow...

Honestly, it really doesn't compare, Doc, if movies is your fix, and I believe it might well be, then I can only reccomend it whole heartedly...

Gotta love a commie robot.....this makes up for all those unanswered letters I wrote to Jim'll fix It back when I was a little cowboy in diapers.

The future's bright, the future's orange...

Thanks Flumm!
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Petri on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:25 am

We all need friends!
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:57 pm

So I recently signed up for the free trials of both Netflix and Blockbuster Online, with the idea that I'd keep whichever one I like better. Here is the early result:

Netflix: Perused films, nice selection, picked a few, they shipped that night, arrived next day.

Blockbuster: Perused films, nice selection, picked a few, heard nothing from Blockbuster for 3 days, received an e-mail today that said that due to winter storms in my region shipping will be delayed, they did not specify a time, the films are still sitting in my queue.

Note that I signed up for both services on the same day, so the winter storms that are effecting Blockbuster should have effected Netflix as well, but somehow the Netflix films got here next day...

Netflix 1, Blockbuster 0
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:17 pm

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby darkjedijaina on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:19 pm

blockbuster now lets you return the shipped movies to the store in exchange for a free rental.

i dig it.

plus, they have the adventures of brisco county, jr at blockbuster. i have three in my possession right now though, so you have to wait. haha.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Vegeta on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:21 pm

Vegeta wrote:friend *this time in Bludo voice* ;)

amclouthier@yahoo.com

Still up for netflix friends, just moving my desperate plea for attention to the second page.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:24 pm

Moo - That's all the lesson you need. Netflix's turnaround is FAST. I've found that with mine, I'll send it back, the next day they get it, the next day after that I have my new DVD. Very rarely is there ever an extra day in the shipping process. Add to that the simple fact that Netflix hasn't spent the past 15 years trying to destroy every Mom & Pop video operation in existence.
Every problem I've had (2 broken discs, one lost in the mail) was met and solved within 1 day. Tell Blockbuster to make like a tree and get outta here.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:28 pm

Fievel wrote:Moo - That's all the lesson you need. Netflix's turnaround is FAST. I've found that with mine, I'll send it back, the next day they get it, the next day after that I have my new DVD. Very rarely is there ever an extra day in the shipping process. Add to that the simple fact that Netflix hasn't spent the past 15 years trying to destroy every Mom & Pop video operation in existence.
Every problem I've had (2 broken discs, one lost in the mail) was met and solved within 1 day. Tell Blockbuster to make like a tree and get outta here.

actually blockbuster has a faster turnaround now. if i take the mailer back to the store, i get a new movie in my hands in about 5 minutes.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:44 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Fievel wrote:Moo - That's all the lesson you need. Netflix's turnaround is FAST. I've found that with mine, I'll send it back, the next day they get it, the next day after that I have my new DVD. Very rarely is there ever an extra day in the shipping process. Add to that the simple fact that Netflix hasn't spent the past 15 years trying to destroy every Mom & Pop video operation in existence.

actually blockbuster has a faster turnaround now. if i take the mailer back to the store, i get a new movie in my hands in about 5 minutes.

Yeah, that's a nice feature, but one that I will rarely use. I signed up for this shit so I wouldn't have to go to the damned video store.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:12 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Fievel wrote: Moo - That's all the lesson you need. Netflix's turnaround is FAST. I've found that with mine, I'll send it back, the next day they get it, the next day after that I have my new DVD. Very rarely is there ever an extra day in the shipping process. Add to that the simple fact that Netflix hasn't spent the past 15 years trying to destroy every Mom & Pop video operation in existence.

Yeah, that's a nice feature, but one that I will rarely use. I signed up for this shit so I wouldn't have to go to the damned video store.

Word. What's the point in renting through the mail if you have to drive somewhere to return them? Boo.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Peven on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:26 pm

Netflix was great for the first month, real fast turnaround, 48 hours from dropping a movie in the mail the next would come, but i think once they peg you as a heavy user, as in watch movies the day you get them and put them in the mail the followng day, they find ways to slow things down. example, i ive in GA, and they have started shipping me about 1 in every 4 movies from the west coast, either WA or CA, so it takes like 3-4 days for it to get to me, and then 3-4 days for it to get back. that way they can claim they are getting them right out the door, but still reducing the total number of films i can rent a month. i am not saying it is a rip off, i still think it is worth $22/month to have access to their library, have 4 movies out at a time, and i can see more than i can rent from a video store in a month for that $, but they do oversell things a bit in their advertising with the way they sell things.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:34 pm

Boo indeed
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:04 am

RogueScribner wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
Fievel wrote: Moo - That's all the lesson you need. Netflix's turnaround is FAST. I've found that with mine, I'll send it back, the next day they get it, the next day after that I have my new DVD. Very rarely is there ever an extra day in the shipping process. Add to that the simple fact that Netflix hasn't spent the past 15 years trying to destroy every Mom & Pop video operation in existence.

Word. What's the point in renting through the mail if you have to drive somewhere to return them? Boo.

you don't HAVE to return them to the store, you can drop them off in the mail just like netflix. but if you DO drop them off at a store, you can take out a new movie immediately instead of waiting for the next one to be mailed to you. that's a new movie IN ADDITION to the next one they mail out to you, which gets mailed out the next day. i use the 2-at-a-time, 4-per-month program which is $12/mo, and for that i get 4 movies in the mail, plus the four free movies when i bring those movies back to the store, plus one free rental coupon per month, for a total of 9 movies per month for $12.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:20 am

Peven wrote:Netflix was great for the first month, real fast turnaround, 48 hours from dropping a movie in the mail the next would come, but i think once they peg you as a heavy user, as in watch movies the day you get them and put them in the mail the followng day, they find ways to slow things down. example, i ive in GA, and they have started shipping me about 1 in every 4 movies from the west coast, either WA or CA, so it takes like 3-4 days for it to get to me, and then 3-4 days for it to get back. that way they can claim they are getting them right out the door, but still reducing the total number of films i can rent a month. i am not saying it is a rip off, i still think it is worth $22/month to have access to their library, have 4 movies out at a time, and i can see more than i can rent from a video store in a month for that $, but they do oversell things a bit in their advertising with the way they sell things.

You know, this is really odd. I've been a Netflix subscriber for almost 3 years now, and I've never encountered this. I'd say one DVD in MAYBE fifteen comes one day later, but that's it, and I'm in a constant rotation. I've even read news articles talking/complaining about this. I guess it obviously happens to some people, but never me.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Vegeta on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:00 pm

I have been far too burned by Blockbuster to ever give them a nickel again. They could let me do what Baxter is talking about free for a year and I would never have to sign up for anything... and I still tell them to fuck off, lousy bastards.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Got Netflix?

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:09 pm

Fuck online renting. I rent from this kick ass independent video store down the street from me thats fucking HUGE. Not to mention that they have a really kick ass import section.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: Got Netflix?

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:31 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Fuck online renting. I rent from this kick ass independent video store down the street from me thats fucking HUGE. Not to mention that they have a really kick ass import section.

Sounds alot like Scarecrow Video in Seattle. That place is amazing. Problem is...I'm lazy.

http://www.scarecrow.com/about_us/
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:37 pm

Or Vulcan Videohere. If I need something obscure I go there, for everything else see Voldy's reason above...
Last edited by Bob Samonkey on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Got Netflix?

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:13 pm

Both those stores look sweet ass!

Sadly, mines not nearly as big or cool like that. But its the only store in my area that carries any titles that i like, UNCUT. I found this place by accident, walked in, looked around, and joined up. I rented at least 4 movies a week there (mostly on weekends, when i would stay up late and do nothing) I put a dent in the library, but sadly, in june of 05, the cleaners 2 stores down caught fire, and the actuall building they were in was a piece of shit, and the fire spread to the store. What the fire didnt melt, the water damage from the fire hoses finished.

So i was left with out a video store for about a year, and i just leeched off my bud who works at blockbuster (and hates it there).

My store finally reopend last month. He lost all of his VHS back titles, but he was in the process of moving them out anyway. The store was rebuilt and updated, and the owner did a excellent job rebuilding the selection on DVD for the store. i went in there the other day and started rummaging through the forigen/asian section and stacking titles again.

A video store is like a theater that you like to go to. Theres a quality and feeling that you get when you actually FIND the movie you're looking for in person insted of sithing through the internet and ordering it and waiting for it to come.

I would never have watched half the films i have if i rented them off the net.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:25 pm

well, when you live in the middle of nowhere like i do, there aren't many video places in the first place.

i wouldn't have seen have the flicks that i have seen were it not for blockbuster online.

so, i guess it all is a matter of opinion.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:31 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:well, when you live in the middle of nowhere like i do, there aren't many video places in the first place.

i wouldn't have seen have the flicks that i have seen were it not for blockbuster online.

so, i guess it all is a matter of opinion.

That's a great point, I grew up in the middle of nowheresville. We had one tiny video store in the whole town in which everything was always checked out. Netflix/BBV online has gotta be great for those rural folks....
Lord Voldemoo

Postby guerillakarma on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:56 pm

I love Netflix. Great service for a good price, depending on which one you choose. They have a great selection also, more B-Movies than Rob Zombie's closet.
guerillakarma
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:02 pm

Blockbuster Offers Netflix Customers Free Movies

i'm sure once they get you in there, they'll pimp you on their own dvd-by-mail service. the most annoying thing about going to blockbuster these days is waiting while the cashier, who has to try to sign up everyone to their mail service, tries to explain to each person how it works.

ah well. i already have both of em, so it just means more free movies for me.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:37 pm

I don't know if this applies to non-UK readers but...

I was thinking about getting into this sort of rental thing. There used to be loads of different companies, but now only Blockbuster and Lovefilm (under a few different brands).

Does anyone have any experience with Lovefilm? I've got a 90 day free trial voucher, but I'm unsure about taking it up as I keep reading about their dodgy dealing - especially with respect to these free trials.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:52 pm

People looking for friends... wrote:Petri - Petri33@gmail.com
King Psyz - kingpsyz@gmail.com
Vegeta - amclouthier@yahoo.com
jgraphix - jluostari2001@yahoo.com
Bob Poopflingius Maximus - jacobcolburn@yahoo.com

Bump to see if we can get more friends.

Not that Petri has been on recently but make him your friend anyway!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:24 am

I never really understood the point of the whole Netflix friends thing. I'm gonna rent the movies I want to see and who cares what my "friends" think?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Maui on Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:44 am

RogueScribner wrote:I never really understood the point of the whole Netflix friends thing. I'm gonna rent the movies I want to see and who cares what my "friends" think?

Maui
WoWie

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:34 am

Maui wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:I never really understood the point of the whole Netflix friends thing. I'm gonna rent the movies I want to see and who cares what my "friends" think?

:P

It gives me ideas. Things I would not think of before. Sorry...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Maui on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:41 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Maui wrote:

Oh heck, it just struck me funny. I get most of my film ideas here at the Zone!!!!! :)

You can fling some poo at me if you want for using Mutley. ;)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:11 am

Maui wrote:
Maui wrote:

Oh heck, it just struck me funny. I get most of my film ideas here at the Zone!!!!! :)

You can fling some poo at me if you want for using Mutley. ;)

Ill let you off with a warning this time...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:06 am

Well, here's my point. I come to places such as the Zone to find out about movies and discuss them. I go to Netflix to rent movies. I rarely read any reviews there and I've pretty much found the friends feature to be useless. Maybe it's just me.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby junesquad on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:52 am

I have watched movies I normally wouldn't have because of my involvement here in the zone. I have had both good and bad experiences... but I find that enjoy seeing what other people see in certain movies. For example, I hated Across the Universe, but it was cool to see why some others really enjoyed it.
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:47 pm

netflix down for the count

usually these tech problems get resolved in a few hours at most... netflix has been down all day. someone's gonna get fired for this, that's for sure. i wonder if i'm gonna get my netflix subscription pro-rated for losing a day of service.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:59 pm

TheBaxter wrote:netflix down for the count

usually these tech problems get resolved in a few hours at most... netflix has been down all day. someone's gonna get fired for this, that's for sure. i wonder if i'm gonna get my netflix subscription pro-rated for losing a day of service.

Yeah that's been pissing me off all day! I wanted to change up my queue too. Netflix has become like the Zone. My fingers just type out the site on instinct.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:30 pm

DaleTremont wrote:Yeah that's been pissing me off all day! I wanted to change up my queue too. Netflix has become like the Zone. My fingers just type out the site on instinct.

i've got it in my bookmarks toolbar folder, I'm on it so damned much.

speaking of Netflix, anyone else honked off about the exclusive deal that both the Bros. Weinstein and IFC cut with Blockbuster?

Bros. Weinstein

IFC

it's hard enough to find indie and low budget films in theaters, now one can't even find 'em for rent?

Fucks over filmlovers, but when is that new...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:35 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:Yeah that's been pissing me off all day! I wanted to change up my queue too. Netflix has become like the Zone. My fingers just type out the site on instinct.

speaking of Netflix, anyone else honked off about the exclusive deal that both the Bros. Weinstein and IFC cut with Blockbuster?

Bros. Weinstein

IFC

it's hard enough to find indie and low budget films in theaters, now one can't even find 'em for rent?

Pssh. Dumbfucks are just shooting themselves in the foot. Blockbuster will be obsolete soon enough. Even with online rentals, I'm betting their day is done.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:01 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Bros. Weinstein

IFC

IFC no workie. But that is serious crap. Thats like only being able to watch a certain show on a certain cable or satellite company... Dumb Dumb
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:42 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Bros. Weinstein

IFC

IFC no workie. But that is serious crap. Thats like only being able to watch a certain show on a certain cable or satellite company... Dumb Dumb

thirded. i have both netflix and blockbuster, but this kind of thing still seems ALF. it's bad enough with the whole HBO/showtime/cinemax/starz/blah blah blah thing, where each one has certain movies the others have... but at least you could rent from anywhere. now you'll have to subscribe to multiple rental services too? as usual, people like us are the losers.

at the same time, that weinstein deal doesn't make any sense to me. it's not like anyone is going to switch to blockbuster because they have weinstein movies. have they even released a decent movie since they started that company? so blockbuster doesn't get anything out of it, and the weinsteins will actually lose, since they'll end up losing a lot of rentals as a result. sounds like a lose/lose/lose for everyone. stupid.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:04 pm

But now I'll never see Fletch Won...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:40 pm

Netflix should bring back the porn!!!

I mean, I never watched that stuff . . . :oops: :-P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:00 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:IFC no workie.

here's where I found the link to that link.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:53 pm

So I've been wondering about something. One of my friends was looking over my shoulder as I netflixed and was like, "Holy fucking shit! You have 137 movies on your queue? That's ridiculous!"

I'm now up to 277 but personally I think that's peanuts. I mean, every time you add a movie 10 more pop up based on that choice that seem just as delectable!

So how long are people's queues here? Who's got the record?
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:21 pm

469 in mine right now but last time I checked it tops out at 500...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray