King Kong Extended Cut

Betamax and beyond

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:20 am

Jessica Lange was hot as hell and likeable, Jeff Bridges was excellent as always and Charles Grodin was perfect in his role. The Man In Suit Kong was even more human and likeable than the CGI'd angry ALF Baby Huey Kong of PJs version.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:22 am

Now I know Winslow is crazy.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:25 am

Call me crazy. I know what I like and dont like. :)
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:46 pm

You calling Winslow crazy?!?!?!

True though. One thing that the 70s Kong had over the new one, is characters that actually were alive and that you remembered, characters that just bloomed with huge emotion. Also John Barry's score gave 76 Kong more of a tear jerker feel than the 05 Kong. It was only Naomi Watts from PJ's Kong that felt like such a mojor character, all the rest were just cringeful or cardboard. The 70s characters had more of an impression on me on reflection. 3 hours! 3 fucking hours to not just sell us FX merry go rounds but to hit us with fully developed characters and he still failed to do this, shows how much more of a fuck up the Peter Jackson version is!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:09 pm

Sorry Petey but I have to take a long piss on your CGI King Kong.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:59 pm

The '76 version isn't too bad. Okay, so-so effects (a bit like the first Christopher Reeve Superman movie) but it has an endearing quality and is certainly isn't as bad as it's made out to be. The original, of course, will never be surpassed. Maybe the problem with Jackson's version is a problem endemic in a lot of CGI- based blockbusters these days. Which is... CGI lacks any heart when routinely overdone. It can/does produce superb spectacle if used properly, but a lot of blockbusters I've watched over the last few years have gone so completely OTT with it that it any sense of true wonder or awe has been lost. When I watch some of these blockbusters I think, yes, the CGI effects are technically excellent and well executed, but in a lot of cases they're also imaginatively sterile, too. Cold and proficient and clinically executed. Sometimes, it's better to leave the audience with a little imagination to conjure up themselves, instead of over-dosing us on it.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:05 pm

FX alone dont make a movie, thats really all there is to it. If the characters and soul of the film had matched the CGI FX, maybe I wouldve liked it more. I consider it a forgettable piece of over CGI'd crap.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:18 pm

I WOULD say that the CGI in Kong makes and breaks that movie. On one hand you've got the likes of the extended scenes of the Diplodocuses or whatever they are, being chased by the Raptors, but on the other hand, heh, Kong is pretty much the best actor and the most emotive and moving character in that film, besides Naomi Watts, his partner, in which they pulled off a real touching though sketchy relationship. So I thought the CGI was also a success in this film, additional scenes like the ice skating pond proved this to me. But I just needed more of that stuff.

Again, it brings up the same thing I said before, more 'CGI' Kong and Ann please, and less of the overfocus on 'some' of the background characters and action scenes. I say only some, as I'm all for making the crew more human and I love the 3 way Rex fight, but I don't need that Raptor chase or so much of fucking Jack Black and that ghey cabin boy, and also when you wanna up the characterisation of the crew who normally would just be nothing more than glorfied extras, you end up in a bad place of being neither here nor there in terms of that characterisation, sort of in the middle ground where some of these guys are developed to the point where they're only half fleshed out, you told us more than we would have known about them before, but now we need to know even more about them to fully understand who they are or what they're about, that ghey cabin boy as a prime example. At 3 hours, PJ ambition still needed more time and ended up as amovie that is both too long and too short all at once, with too much trying to be crammed in, and using screen time to focus on stuff that we didn't always need.

Again, personally I felt that the Kong/Darrow is the best example of taking a relationship/chracterisation further than before, but not completing the journey that has now been started. We ended up seeing more concentration on that, than we saw in the other 2 films, but this took us into a territory where we were so interested in finding out more about them but the film didn't take us further, so we only get half of a new journey.

That film is sooo close to getting that balance right, of all the things it was trying to juggle, but even though it is off by just a relatively tiny fraction, that fraction makes sooo much difference to the film's overall effect on me. I shoulda have been emotionally exhausted by the film's emotional strength that it's time could have provided, instead I was just exhausted by the wrongful excesses that it's time used instead.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:32 pm

I hated the scenes between Kong and Ann. PU!! Just....no thanks, that DVD is shelved for all time. I may use it for a sleep enducer or a coaster for Hot Cocoa, but thats it!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray