DVD coverage on AICN is pathetic

Betamax and beyond

DVD coverage on AICN is pathetic

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:40 am

Can we not all agree on this? It was said a while ago by a certain AICN writer that dvd coverage would become important on AICN, but this person has never been able to meet the expectations he's set out to. Why even fucking bother? Seriously.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:45 am

NOw thats a bit harsh!

Send in your reviews od DVDs. I'm sure they'll get on! I keep meaning to but always forget. So thats my fault.

The cool thing about AICN is its open to us. Don't like something, try something better! As long as harry and crew don't mind it...

THe world is changing; DVD and home cinema is where its at. I love hte cinema, nothing li ke seeing a filmont eh big screen. BUt I refuse to pay out a vast amount of m oney to sit with a bunch or loud mouthed, rude, smelly, horrible people in uncomfortable seats for a film that might be very shit!

I now only bother to see big important films, films that the chances are high on me likeing (so as not to waist my money) at the cinema.

Everything else I'll catch on DVD
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:45 am

At least have the guts to call out Moriarty. Has it not struck you he's got work outside of AICN as a professional writer? Hell, I used to do some online journoism FOR FREE and found myself with reality in the way of getting reviews done. It's just the way it is.

At least appreciate that, eh? At least you're not paying for this service. Unless Drew outright insults you you've got very little to be indignant about.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:48 am

I see the patented Moriarty cocktease has claimed another victim.

He still owes us the back half of his best films of the 90's list. It's only about 6yrs late...

In his defense, he's recently moved to a new house, was beckoned to England to cover Stardust, and just wrapped Masters of Horror #2.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Thin Man on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:31 am

I agree - a bit harsh. The great thing about DVD reviews on this site is that they often cover the more obscure releases. Most web sites just go for the DVD releases of what was recently on the cinema. It should also be said that this is not a site run by a big publisher with plenty of staff to produce content. Other sites may have more reviews but some cheat by getting juniors to watch and summerise movies rather than the person who's name appears as the reviewer. Also, other sites are run by the very companies producing the films. When I read Moriarty's reviews I know he has watched the film and is giving me an honest and informed opinion of it.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:47 am

The Thin Man - I am in agreement with you.

I am.

Yes

Indeed

I am

Thats the very reason I com ehere. Well, one of the main reasons at least.

The reviews are from the heart. They're not trying to keep thier jobs, or get on posters or suck up to filmmakers (well maybe the end one sometimes, but only to filmmakers they geek over - not ones that will make them look good to other press peeps)

AICN is all about the love of film. I don't buy any film mags any more. THey don't have the same knowledge and love. While the DVD news and sometimes film news (such as Quints COmic-COn coverage - day 3 anyone?) you have to let them off because this site is really a hobby.

Does anyone know if they acutally get paid? Alot? Roughly howmuch? I'm sure Harry must make something through other deals relating to the site. BUt other than ad space how on earth do they make money?

I'm guessing other than expenses (Which often go on film budgets anyway) everything is a hobby and money comes from places such as producing (harry) and writing (McWeeny Weenystien)

I have this feeling that Quint lives off it. BUt probbably wrong. I don't know. Does anyone?
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:26 am

Moriarty abuse aside, Captain_Fucking_Magic has to be the best AICN screen name since Alex Douchepot.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:02 am

DocPazuzu?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:03 am

Nope

you're wrong

:-( :-) :-( :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:09 am

I think YOU'RE pathetic, Captain_Fucking_Magic.

One Captain to another of course.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:16 am

Can't believe this.... but I agree with you Kirk...
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:28 am

silentbobafett wrote:Can't believe this.... but I agree with you Kirk...

"Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day..." :wink:

CFM - its not like he's sittiing around doing jack shit all huh? Mori's film reviews were the reason I kept coming back to the AICN main page, back in the day.

Why not quit bitching and contribute yourself - actually write the reviews yourself and submit them.

Of course, if your post above is a fair reflection of who you are, then its only a matter of time until we see the "Its not fair, AICN won't publish all of my reviews" thread....

Just remember - the difference between "Captain Fucking Magic" and "Private Fucking Cockmuncher" is simply a case of ranking :wink: :P
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:31 am

I prefer Harry's reviews. Only for the reason that I tend to agree more with Harry

I'llnever forgive Moriarty for recommending that I buy Lady in White for my Halloween horrorthon

Fucker.... read: pile of boring average shite...

:-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby dimnix on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:54 am

Did any of you read Mori's dvd blog? It was awesome, great little dvd reviews, and there seemed to be a new one every few hours. And it was great having all the reviews on the one page.

He was supposedly moving that content over to AICN and shutting down his blog. He hasnt really kept it up, but he's a busy guy so you cant blame him.

Personally, I'd like Moriarty's Dvd Shelf to be it's own section at AICN, and for it to keep the blog format (all the reviews/stories on the same page, newest one at the top).

That'd be kickass.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:03 am

it's no secret that the AICN writers often make promises they can't keep. this is more evident with the DVD coverage than anything else. remember Harry's monthly column that ran down the list of titles that would be released that month? when was the last time we saw that?

it's nothing worth getting upset or angry about. i go to the site daily, and on mon and tue i always look for a dvd review column, and when it's not there i'm disappointed. it's kinda like that pavlov experiment, where he found that the dogs were more easily conditioned when the reward was occasionally withheld than when they got a treat every time he rang the bell. but it's not like it's the only place that reviews dvds. if i want dvd reviews, there are plenty of other places to go for them.

i do think the aicn crew should try harder to either keep the promises they make, or avoid making promises they aren't certain they can keep. i realize they are busy with stuff outside the site, but not every aicn writer is a big movie producer or big horror writer these days. if harry or moriarty get too busy to keep a column or regular feature going, hand it over to quint or merrick or massawyrm or (god forbid) herc for a couple weeks or so. i mean, herc's been as reliable as anything on this site has ever been with his tv-dvd column (even if it is mostly just a long list of amazon links), so we know it's possible. hey, it can't be easy compiling all those links and box covers every 7 days, can it?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:48 pm

TheBaxter wrote:it's no secret that the AICN writers often make promises they can't keep. this is more evident with the DVD coverage than anything else. remember Grande Rojo's monthly column that ran down the list of titles that would be released that month? when was the last time we saw that?

it's nothing worth getting upset or angry about. i go to the site daily, and on mon and tue i always look for a dvd review column, and when it's not there i'm disappointed. it's kinda like that pavlov experiment, where he found that the dogs were more easily conditioned when the reward was occasionally withheld than when they got a treat every time he rang the bell. but it's not like it's the only place that reviews dvds. if i want dvd reviews, there are plenty of other places to go for them.

i do think the aicn crew should try harder to either keep the promises they make, or avoid making promises they aren't certain they can keep. i realize they are busy with stuff outside the site, but not every aicn writer is a big movie producer or big horror writer these days. if Grande Rojo or moriarty get too busy to keep a column or regular feature going, hand it over to quint or merrick or massawyrm or (god forbid) herc for a couple weeks or so. i mean, herc's been as reliable as anything on this site has ever been with his tv-dvd column (even if it is mostly just a long list of amazon links), so we know it's possible. hey, it can't be easy compiling all those links and box covers every 7 days, can it?

Actually - this whole thread is Herc's fault...

So he's got that going for him too...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Re: DVD coverage on AICN is pathetic

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:54 pm

Captain_Fucking_Magic wrote:Can we not all agree on this? It was said a while ago by a certain AICN writer that dvd coverage would become important on AICN, but this person has never been able to meet the expectations he's set out to. Why even fucking bother? Seriously.

Strong words from a glib.

I digress.

If you are upset at the level of DVD coverage here, do something about it! Write up some reviews!!! Post them here and send them to Harry.

Who knows, you might just get your own column.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:46 am

If you think that the DVD reviewing is in bad shape, i've little or nothing about 'Nine dead' or EVEN 'One welcome home'. Talk about behind the times...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby zombieslayer on Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:37 am

well, I would appreciate it if they'd at least do a rundown on tuesdays, since aicn always covers the obscure flicks we're looking for, as you mentioned. I understand if Moriarty can't always do it, but can't they just work out someone else to do it?
That said, I don't have money for dvds every tuesday anyway. haha.
zombieslayer
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Chilli on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:29 am

Would anyone be interested in 'Chilli's Random DVD Reviews: Ressurection?'
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:07 am

I thought we had a DVD review thread which was full of great reviews?

I've got a blog of random reviews if you follow the DVD dumpsite link from the clicky below myself... but what I love about the DVD reviews here is the professionality (or attempted) of us Zoners and the discussion that often takes place after, accompanied with hearty backslapping!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:13 am

It is a shame Harry doesn't do his monthly DVD picks anymore - I bought at least 10 movies on the strength of his recommendation, and he was usually right. Some real gems in those, it's worth reading the old ones if you're looking to pick up cool movies you may not know about....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Petri on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:55 am

I agree TITGirl, Harry's DVD picks filled my Netflix queue.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:07 pm

Did he ever explain why he stopped doing them?

I haven't seen one in well over a year....
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:22 pm

ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:09 pm

Very up to date. Hudson Hawk and A Fish Called Wanda were cancelled, and the Hammer Noir set was delayed.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Cinester Jim on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:32 pm

I have to say, I really do miss Knowles monthly picks. A good portion of my DVD library over the last 2 years were recommendations of his, especially the older titles.
Cinester Jim
GLIB

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:10 pm

For those that say they have no responsibility to provide dvd coverage, as they have other priorities and such, the studios DO send them FREE dvds to screen and review. If the studios sent me FREE DVDS I'd be sure to complete the obligation.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:18 pm

If you recieved bags of Catwoman DVD's, cd's and panty liners would you review them CFM? Moriarty always mentions that he buys his own DVD's from his local independant shop. Its a shame Harry is behind on his reviews, but hey the guy is busy, he gave us the zone and there are still plenty of exclusives on the site. Check out some of the reviews of stuff here in the zone if you are having withdrawal pangs.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:24 pm

Why don't you go get reviews from a site devoted to DVDs?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:40 pm

Mr. Magic, the Captain Fucker:

If you too would like deliveries of free shite DVDs for review then I suggest start a website/zine about DVD reviews and hope to god you can write a bit.

Your mailbox will overflow soon enough.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:06 am

This guy is nutso! Craazzzzsy hazy! So anyway! You want DVD reviews? Go read some

Review this........... :x
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:26 am

Captain_Fucking_Magic wrote:For those that say they have no responsibility to provide dvd coverage, as they have other priorities and such, the studios DO send them FREE dvds to screen and review. If the studios sent me FREE DVDS I'd be sure to complete the obligation.

I'll send you something in the mail you can review...

That is - unless you've already paid to see me naked...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 am

I think Captain Fucking Monkey is a bullshitting ass rabbit.

He is also noticable by his absensce? He may be able to spell better than me but I smell better than he...

And I can write in rhyme... so eat me... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:36 am

silentbobafett wrote:I think Captain Fucking Monkey is a bullshitting ass rabbit.

Captain Fucking Magic is a bullshiting ass rabbit?

Whoa, that's some fucking magic trick right there.

:o

He had me fooled anyway. :oops:
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:41 am

I've seen it. It ain't a baby wabbit. And it sure as hell ain't pretty...

Where is this magic fucker anyway? It ain't no fun saying dis shit without the wind chapped cap'n lined up for some pube laden tomato's... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:45 am

silentbobafett wrote:I've seen it. It ain't a baby wabbit. And it sure as hell ain't pretty...

Where is this magic fucker anyway? It ain't no fun saying dis shit without the wind chapped cap'n lined up for some pube laden tomato's... :-)

maybe he's in the EFBR, where people are supposed to go when they start calling each other names?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:56 am

What the fuck, on a Thursday morning, is an EFBR when its at home? And I hate the guy for calling peoples names! Forums like this need rules to survive. If funny soft unprejduice name-calling begins we are all doomed.

Kinda like in Back To The Future II when Marty sees the place like would be if Biff ran it... am I right Baxter?
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Return to DVD / Blu-ray