Final Destination 3 DVD... Thrill Ride Edition

Betamax and beyond

Final Destination 3 DVD... Thrill Ride Edition

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:57 am

Anyone actually bothered with this? General public concensus seems to point out the movie is actually quite a decent follow-up, and I'm verry interested in the formatting of the "choose your own adventure" option on the discs. Apparently New Line have managed to pull off quite a fluid trick on this to the point where the film can be finished in 25 minutes!

Thoughts?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:00 pm

I saw one or two of those can't remember. I was not too interested when I watched them. I seem to remember wanting the movie to end, so I think I'll wait until I accidentally watch the movie.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby tfactor on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:05 pm

thanks for the reminder that I wanted to go to blockbuster today. I'll grab this while there and I'll get back to you tomorrow with some feedback.

I liked and own the first two, but this one looked kinda crappy in the trailers and clips online, and I suppose I had judged it to be crap based on that, which given is a mistake to do.

so yeah 24 hours, same bat time same bat channel
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:06 pm

Cheers tfactor. May do the same myself, but Blockbuster don't have the 2-disc version, just the standalone movie.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:36 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Cheers tfactor. May do the same myself, but Blockbuster don't have the 2-disc version, just the standalone movie.

damn it! you're probably right, but I do have a little money left over on a gift card for best buy, and really what more do I need to hear than "choose your own adventure, like, setup"?

I don't know, I may rent it first to verify it's an "own worthy" movie and not just something I'll be trading in a couple months for 1/5th the purchase price. I do want to see it, but I can also think of a lot of other movies & electronics type crap I could waste my money on.

Well I'll have something for you tomorrow, though what that will be will largely depend on what the better half thinks and its not looking so good :wink:
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:56 pm

i liked the first (not-so-)final destination film. i expected it to be crappy teen horror a la "i know how to bilk you out of your hard-earned 8 bucks last summer" but thought the premise and execution were actually quite clever, and that bus scene was pretty awesome.

the second (still-not-)final destination had some decent death scenes, but the plot was idiotic. why the hell did death suddenly decide to change the order in which it went after people? ok, it's not like altering the final destination canon is on par with screwing up the mythos or backwards continuity in the SW or Trek prequels, but it still irked me.

i saw the trailer for (this-time-is-it-really-)final destination 3, and wasn't impressed. the rollercoaster sequence effects looked really hokey. maybe i'll check out the dvd, but if i never got around to it i don't think i'd miss it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:58 pm

My brother got this DVD with the "choose your own adventure thing".

He says that there is only 1 guy who you can choose to let live...other than that its just choosing alternate deaths for people. He thought it was pretty cool...but more importantly thought it had great potential.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:59 pm

didn't they come out with some kind of choose your own adventure D&D DVD like this?
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:00 pm

sounds kinda like clue. didn't that movie have like 4 different endings or something?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby tfactor on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:06 pm

I love Clue!

BTW guys Blockbuster does have the 2disc special "Thrill Ride Edition"

luva, stop on your way home and pick up some Olive Garden, tonight we play our 1st (hopefully of many) choose your own mother fucking adventure movies. I can't wait to see how many ways we can kill these little bastard no name actors! bwhahahahaha cough cough ...

and no pants allowed!
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:32 pm

tfactor wrote:I love Clue!

BTW guys Blockbuster does have the 2disc special "Thrill Ride Edition"

luva, stop on your way home and pick up some Olive Garden, tonight we play our 1st (hopefully of many) choose your own mother fucking adventure movies. I can't wait to see how many ways we can kill these little bastard no name actors! bwhahahahaha cough cough ...

and no pants allowed!

MMMMMMMMM......

I'll get Olive Garden if you promise to give me a thrill ride?? ;)

no pants of course...
if you know what I mean ;)
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:45 pm

These movies are really stupid, but I LOVE the 'choose yr own' adventure
idea! My fifth graders would love it! (Yes, I know its rated R; and no,
I wouldn't show it in class, but dumb ass horror movies are all they talk
about! They'll no doubt all have it at home.)
Last edited by ZombieZoneSolutions on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby tfactor on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:55 pm

If by give you a thrill ride you mean, lay next too you on the couch with our overstuffed bellies pointed at the TV, then absolutely! :lol:

Anyone else going to make the effort to watch this tonight?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:58 pm

tfactor wrote:If by give you a thrill ride you mean, lay next too you on the couch with our overstuffed bellies pointed at the TV, then absolutely! :lol:

Anyone else going to make the effort to watch this tonight?

The movie?
or Yours and Athena's thrill ride?

Cause I already put a fresh tape in the surveillance camera...

Fucking Empty Kleenex Boxes.
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:33 am

I just finished watching this DVD. The movie was okay. I liked the first movie because of the interesting premise and freshness of it all. The second one lacked the depth of the first one, but it had some pretty creative kills and a wicked sense of humor. This one had some good kills, but it lacked the humor and depth of the previous entries. The DVD feature of "choose your own fate" increased my enjoyment of the experience. You can save four people, and some of the rest have alternate versions of their deaths. Frankie is a douche, but it's worth it to save him and see the police video later on. :)

It's a good rental if nothing else. If anyone here liked the first two movies on any level, they'll have a good enough time with this one, methinks.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:11 am

I'm a sucker for a good gimmick, so I'll rent this I think - less for the film and more for the "choose your own kill" feature.

Do I really have to save one of them? :evil:
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:27 am

RogueScribner wrote:I just finished watching this DVD. The movie was okay. I liked the first movie because of the interesting premise and freshness of it all. The second one lacked the depth of the first one, but it had some pretty creative kills and a wicked sense of humor. This one had some good kills, but it lacked the humor and depth of the previous entries. The DVD feature of "choose your own fate" increased my enjoyment of the experience. You can save four people, and some of the rest have alternate versions of their deaths. Frankie is a douche, but it's worth it to save him and see the police video later on. :)

It's a good rental if nothing else. If anyone here liked the first two movies on any level, they'll have a good enough time with this one, methinks.

How about the gore level and outrageously complicated Rube Goldberg
style deaths? Thats what I like about this series; it seems to know, and
revel, in its utter inanity and campiness. And although nowhere near
hard-R, that scene where the guy gets crished by that falling glass in
part 2 was killer!!!

I'll give this one a rental, if only to get my 'choose-yr-own adventure'
on, and, of course, watch 25 year old 'teenagers' get killed! :twisted:
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby tfactor on Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:09 am

I did have a couple problems with this movie but certainly thought it was worth seeing and honestly I don’t think it has got the love it deserved. Like Rogue said if you liked the previous ones at all then you want to watch this movie.

Mild spoilers: the two things I really had a problem with are #1 the fucking rollercoaster crap, which was just kind of stupid I mean really would anyone die if they fell 50 feet and landed on their feet? I mean you might not be running any marathons, but a sealed death ticket? #2 the god damn world trade center plane shadow picture; the movie tried to use these pictures as the big clue giver and using an image of the towers with a shadow of a plane on them to convey this was pretty much the laziest douche bag way of solidifying that certain pictures predict bad things. Poor taste IMHO Spoilers over!

Now once you get passed the rollercoaster scene the movie was right on par with the previous two installments, great gore (not the Al sort), excellent kills, and the ending I thought was the best so far out of all three. Actually (spoiler) I loved how this movie answered the question of how the survivors of part two eventually got killed, that was well played I thought. (end spoiler).

Overall the “choose your own adventureâ€
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:09 pm

Yeah, it's a 90 minute film but I think it took me more than two hours to go through the movie because I kept exploring the choices. :)

BTW, something I noticed after I watched the commentary last night (bits and pieces): the ending of the movie in the theaters is different from either of the endings you'll get in the "choose their fate" feature. One of the differences is small, the other big. Worth checking out.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:50 pm

Well, I saw it. tfactor's right on that certain shadow spoiler, totally un-needed, to be honest... it was a lazy and tasteless device.

It's not a classic like the first, it's not as fiendish or as funny as the second but the gimmick on the video does raise it up to being a worthy finale. On its own I could see it being pretty weak, but I only watched it using the gimmick and going back on my choices was damn fun. Sure, some of it is completely arbitrary, one choice leading to seeing what happened to the survivors of the second film, and I've missed out what some of you guys have found, but it does add to the experience.

It's not something you could easily reuse on other films. In fact, it really suits Final Destination, and if they had any guts at all beyond onscreen gore, the producers should release a DVD only fourth film where the choices matter and intermingle to see if the VIEWER can work out how to cheat death. That's be awesome.

edit - forgot to mention, I saw the first the day before a flight when I was coming back from living in Italy in 2000. Boy, consider I was still quite new to flying, THAT was a mistake!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to DVD / Blu-ray