Remember, Remember the 1st of August!

Betamax and beyond

V for Vendetta

Viva La Revolucion! I Need It NOW!!!
56%
Sieg Heil and Amen! This DVD Should Be Burned!!!
13%
I'm afraid to have an opinion.
31%

Total votes : 16

Remember, Remember the 1st of August!

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:05 pm

My favorite movie of 2006 will soon be on DVD! This Tuesday, August
1st! Yay!

In case you haven't heard of this movie, its called V FOR VENDETTA. It
tells the story of a Masked Vigilante Anarchist / Freedom Fighter /
Terrorist and his, uh, controversial methods for defeating an unjust
Fascist Theocratic Dictatorship. Sound familiar? It should!

Apparently this movie was based on a comic book written by a guy
named Alan Moore. Alan Moore is reknowned for his work in the
"funnies", but has since decided to "retire" from the business so he can
focus on his study of *snicker* witchcraft. In short, he has lost his mind.
It often happens with geniuses.

Alan Moore took his name off the project 'cause he's a wank -er, I mean-
because the film-makers sorta altered his book to target certain other
unjust Proto-Fascist Theocratic Dictatorships you may be familiar with. In
my not so humble (and blasphemous) opinion, V FOR VENDETTA is not
only a fantastic adaption, its better than the comic, and for that I will
no doubt be beaten to a pulp with flaming posts of hatred and venom.

Anyways, is anyone else out there in Zonerland as excited about this
imminent release as I am? Anyone out there hate this movie and think it
should be burned because the Authority is always right and we should all
just shut up and follow orders? Sound off!

(To the Brits -- look, I know Ms. Portman's 'accent' is poor, but you
know we Yanks can't do yr accent right! We're dumber than you are!
Lighten up already and give us a break!)
Last edited by ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:06 pm

Why aren't they releasing it on the 5th of November? I mean that is just simple stuff kids. Who markets films anymore.....I mean do they not think of this stuff themselves? On a side rant this reminds me of companies that release horror films in any month of the year but October when people might be more in the mood to go watch a horror flick.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:08 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Why aren't they releasing it on the 5th of November?

Maybe in Britland they will? I dunno...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:13 pm

What were the elements of V for Vendetta movie version that specifically targeted 'certain other
unjust Proto-Fascist Theocratic Dictatorships you may be familiar with'? It felt more like it was about conservative government in 80's Britain to me. I'd really like to hear opinion on this subject.
Last edited by tapehead on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:13 pm

whoops, make it a double, bartender
Last edited by tapehead on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:16 pm

The comic was specifically targeted at Thatchers England; the movie,
though set in England, was targeted more at the US under the boot of the
Bush Admin... At least, thats how I read it...

That whole business about "America's War" and such? The news footage
from the Iraquagmire?
Last edited by ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:16 pm

I think parts of it resembled modern day US politics. This may be what ZZS is refering to.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:17 pm

Well....thats a good question, no mistake.

I'm sure this wasn't on their mind when they wrote it......but I'm thinking the US Pharmaceutical presence in China and the fact that over 80% of all people that have gone down "sick" with these mysterious viruses (various bird flu offshoots for example) in the past ten years all hail from or have their origins connected to within a 100 mile radius of the factory.....well that kinda works.....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:21 pm

The stuff about "America's War" seems likely enough, but the two countries have been allies in these conflicts too. I might have missed some subtext, but there seems no obvious clues to really look at this as satirical or even critical of contemporary American Politics or government specifically. I want to watch this movie again on DVD, and it would be cool to have a point of view on this aspect of the film that I appear to have largely missed. I've never read the comic version.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Doc Holliday on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:26 pm

On a more realistic note than my last suggestion - I think the portrayal of the media as this mass system for misinformation/propaganda is as much levelled at, say, Fox or CNN as it is anything UK-based.

Mind you - I studied Politics for A Level...and a part of that course was spent disseminating the various media biases during the miner strike and poll-tax riots.

The differences in how the same footage was used/edited to portray completely opposing views, by ITV & Channel Four compared to the BBC (AKA : The Government Channel) was really quite insidious...
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Yeah, I see your point, but Murdoch and his kind span the globe.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Doc Holliday on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:38 pm

....adopts monotone voice and unblinking eyes......

"If...you....watch....more.....SKY....you....will ....MUST...understand....he....wants.....to...be.. ..your.....friend.....is.....all"

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:29 pm

Yeh, er the comic had subtlety the film had Stephen Fry doing quite possibly the stupidest thing EVER. Yes Stephen, I'm sure taking the piss out of the leader of a fascist dictatorship on national TV will lead to you having a slap on the wrist and not being black bagged like EVRYONE else who disagreed with the dictatorship. The message of 2 anarchies was lost and the characters apart from V and Evey were given such short shrift that they became mere plot points not real people. Susan being in love with Fate was discarded. Fate itself was taken out, making V's knowledge a huge plot hole. They got rid of the LSD taking detective because the Wachowskis were shit scared of it. And in trying to make it up to date they insinuated that 9/11 was really perpetrated by the US government thereby losing any credibility. God this film is so dumbed down no wonder Moore wanted his name taken off it. Also he hasnt retired as the forthcoming "Lost Girls" will show.

Oh and finally, seein as this film completely missed it. We in the UK don't celebrate the 5th of November for Guy Fawkes' bravery at fighting the government we celebrate it because we caught, tortured and murdered him.

Sorry people, it was a great idea to make this film and a great idea to make it about the US, but, the power of the comic was the complexity and empathy it had for the non-heroic characters. By understanding the general populace, even the colluders Moore's ideas were conveyed much more strongly. The film, sadly, didn't have the time or seeming inclination to do this and suffers massively for it.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:09 pm

heh, like the new av Zombie.

I dunno about the film though. Sub-par direction, the only shot that really stood out for me was the destruction at the end. They got a couple of things right, particularly V's creation at the proto-Nazi boot camp, but I didn't find the mass uprising to be convincing.

Will give it another look on DVD though...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:23 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Yeh, er the comic had subtlety the film had Stephen Fry doing quite possibly the stupidest thing EVER. Yes Stephen, I'm sure taking the piss out of the leader of a fascist dictatorship on national TV will lead to you having a slap on the wrist and not being black bagged like EVRYONE else who disagreed with the dictatorship. The message of 2 anarchies was lost and the characters apart from V and Evey were given such short shrift that they became mere plot points not real people. Susan being in love with Fate was discarded. Fate itself was taken out, making V's knowledge a huge plot hole. They got rid of the LSD taking detective because the Wachowskis were shit scared of it. And in trying to make it up to date they insinuated that 9/11 was really perpetrated by the US government thereby losing any credibility. God this film is so dumbed down no wonder Moore wanted his name taken off it. Also he hasnt retired as the forthcoming "Lost Girls" will show.

Oh and finally, seein as this film completely missed it. We in the UK don't celebrate the 5th of November for Guy Fawkes' bravery at fighting the government we celebrate it because we caught, tortured and murdered him.

Sorry people, it was a great idea to make this film and a great idea to make it about the US, but, the power of the comic was the complexity and empathy it had for the non-heroic characters. By understanding the general populace, even the colluders Moore's ideas were conveyed much more strongly. The film, sadly, didn't have the time or seeming inclination to do this and suffers massively for it.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion! And definately its not exactly
the most subtle film ever made; being very hypberolic and cartoonish;
but boy oh boy I do love my agit-prop! The films lack of subtley aside, I
don't think you could possibly call the comic subtle either. It may be
dryer, the pace may be slower, but subtle? Nah.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the comic, and I love Alan Moore's
work in general, but that whole LSD trip wasn't forsaken 'cause the
Wachowski's were afraid of it (shit, their asses were put on the fire for
how subversive the film is; especially in terms of its subtextual criticisms
of the Bush Reich); the LSD trip sequence was foresaken because it was
ALF.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I've had some really great times on LSD as
a teenager so many, many years ago, but that whole chapter in the
comic was just embarrasing. It was like, what, Alan, are you 15? "Like,
wow, maaaan, fuckin' LSD like, totally showed me the light maaan; I've
like, totally seen God n' stuff, and he was all like, the peace n' stuff
maaaaaan." I mean, really now; could that possibly be any cornier? Why
not have the Yellow Submarine show up and V start fighting the Blue
Meanies with his Happy Rainbow Laserbeams.

The way Finch's "conversion" is handled in the film is not only more
realistic, its more meaningful; its through the investigation that Finch
realizes he's playing for the wrong team, not an acid trip.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:27 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:heh, like the new av Zombie.

I dunno about the film though. Sub-par direction, the only shot that really stood out for me was the destruction at the end. They got a couple of things right, particularly V's creation at the proto-Nazi boot camp, but I didn't find the mass uprising to be convincing.

Will give it another look on DVD though...

Heh heh, thanks!

Yeah, I would say give it another look. Its not a perfect film by any means,
but I just love agit-prop stuff so much; it hit me in all the right places. And
in terms of sci-fi-ish stuff, its the 'smartest' movie I've seen in awhile (albeit
hamfisted, hyperbolic, and cartoonish... like me!)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:34 pm

But I think the acid trip was kinda essential, not in the fact that he was dropping acid but that he was opening his mind to alternative possibilities. In the film it's just passed off as "I had a feeling" which to me seems a cheap way of getting from A to B, if the detective had discoverd another way then ok, but him just "getting a feeling" is lazy. Ok so you don't like the drug trip idea, but something needs to happen to the guy. Also I found it a pretty fucking great metaphor for the kind of anarchy that V was preaching and I wish they had kept that. It ties in nicely with Evey's own mind expanding trip while she's being tortured.

And yeh I'm going to have to argue about the subtlety, just in the way the supporting characters were drawn you understand, not the story. It's an allegory and I'm more than happy with that.
But come on, doesn't Stephen Fry's moment of stupidity seem really stupid and just put there so they can come and black bag him? I mean why would a guy so utterly commited to hiding his homosexuality and house of contraband suddenly start ripping the Chancellor a new one AND not even worry about the consequences?

But anyway, better to watch this than whatever Micheal Bay has got coming out. At least it's trying to get a positive message across.
TonyWilson

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:56 pm

It's a nice, entertaining movie but has little in common with the comic other than the basic plot elements. The end of the comic, while unreasonably optimistic, is utter realism compared to the ridiculous finale of the movie. The book is a study of purpousful mental illness in both Adam Susan and V -- who is specifically identified as a villain in the comic. The movie turns V into a hard man whose motivations and methods we may question at times but who is at the end a hero; the leader is shown as a man merely hungry for power, without ideals.

As Tony and many others have said in the movie thread, the film lacks subtlety and too often sense. While Moore's story is that of a young (late twenties), idealist, the Wachowskis' is that of theoretically more mature (late thirties) but in truth naive dreamers. It's that ham-fistedness you admire, Z, that rankles me. V deserved as much in the story department as it got in the physical elements of production.
Last edited by DennisMM on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:57 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Oh and finally, seein as this film completely missed it. We in the UK don't celebrate the 5th of November for Guy Fawkes' bravery at fighting the government we celebrate it because we caught, tortured and murdered him.

Where in the film did it indicate this? Obviously that is the whole reaon V as a "terrorist" against the current regime adopted the mask of Fawkes.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:21 pm

The graphic novel was superior to the film, no question.
I can & do still enjoy the film on its own merits, whilst mourning what was lost in translation between paper & film.

They're releasing a version here that will have the Guy Fowlkes mask included.

Mine.
In plenty of time for Halloween.

England prevails.
America?
Not so much.

Nice AV upgrade, ZZS.... :D :lol: :wink:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:25 pm

The Vicar wrote:The graphic novel was superior to the film, no question.

Note this is not directed at you Vicar.

This is a pretty standard criticism of the majority of films adapted from books or comics etc to film. It's in fact so common I think it should generally be left unsaid except in the very rare cases where the film exceeds or improves upon the book. I mean you can lob this same remark at just about every film ever made that was adapted from previous source material so why bother?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:28 pm

I think even more than novels and film....the difference in medium between graphic novels and film are such that film is nearly always at a disadvantage in this regard.

Could you imagine if they had made "V" without a single word of dialogue?

And I think the film is trying to reach a much wider audience too....so has one hand behind its back to boot.....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:30 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:The comic was specifically targeted at Thatchers England; the movie,

from the Iraquagmire?

Actually, I saw this film as a Jesus allegory.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:30 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Oh and finally, seein as this film completely missed it. We in the UK don't celebrate the 5th of November for Guy Fawkes' bravery at fighting the government we celebrate it because we caught, tortured and murdered him.

Where in the film did it indicate this? Obviously that is the whole reaon V as a "terrorist" against the current regime adopted the mask of Fawkes.

The start is where it was indicated, specifically in the voiceover when Fawkes is being hung. Obviously V takes on the appearance of Fawkes because he is anti government, but the film seems to indicate that the brits celebrate the 5th of November because of Fawkes attempt rather than because of his capture.
TonyWilson

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:33 pm

TonyWilson wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

The start is where it was indicated, specifically in the voiceover when Fawkes is being hung. Obviously V takes on the appearance of Fawkes because he is anti government, but the film seems to indicate that the brits celebrate the 5th of November because of Fawkes attempt rather than because of his capture.

I'm sorry I don't see that at all. I thought the film accurately portrayed why the Brits celebrate Guy Fawkes Day. Nothing about the intro indicated to me otherwise and I'm a Yank.
ONeillSG1 wrote:

Dude I love in the Bible when Jesus sends his corpse rocketing into the Temple full of money changers etc strapped to the back of a donkey set to explode. That part is awesome.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:36 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

I'm sorry I don't see that at all. I thought the film accurately portrayed why the Brits celebrate Guy Fawkes Day. Nothing about the intro indicated to me otherwise and I'm a Yank.

Eh, just the way it seemed to me, I know it's a pretty perverse suggestion in many ways, but I can't get over the idea that the film suggests we see Fawkes as a heroic freedom fighter when the opposite is true.
TonyWilson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:38 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:The comic was specifically targeted at Thatchers England; the movie,

from the Iraquagmire?

HAHAHAHA!!!
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:38 pm

I dunno my view could be tainted because I was already well aware of Guy Fawkes and the anniversary years before I read V and before I saw the film. Maybe to someone completely unfamiliar with the subject it might come across that way but I don't know.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:40 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:Actually, I saw this film as a Jesus allegory.

Dude I love in the Bible when Jesus sends his corpse rocketing into the Temple full of money changers etc strapped to the back of a donkey set to explode. That part is awesome.

Ah, you see what I said was a joke, an attempt to rile up ZZS here much lik he did in the Superman thread.

*Le sigh*

Nevermind.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:40 pm

I hope nobody thinks I'm disparaging Alan Moore; the man is a genius;
a much more talented writer than the Wachowskis can ever hope to be. I
realize this. Still, I loved the movie; perhaps moreso than the comic;
though I love both.

On the topic of the ending, I'm torn. The ending in the comic is much
more realisitc (the inevitable bloody revolution coming soon to a proto-
fascist theocratic dictatorship near you), but the ending of the film is like
the ending of a movement in a piece of music. Its an emotional
crescendo that brought tears to my eyes; eventually the people will wake
up, eventually they will rise up, and inevitably, they will overcome...

Sure, I would have rather have seen the people tearing Norse Fire to
shreads with their bare hands, but, oh well; in terms of the film, I think
the visual of the people massed outside the gates is a very strong and
beautiful one in its own right.

Oh, and in terms of the hamfistedness; certainly the movie is, but I don't
see how the comic isn't. They both seemed equally unsubtle and
hyperbolic to me.

And in terms of unrealism; how far dost thou disbelief suspend?

On the one hand -- Detective takes LSD and has a grand transformation
not unlike a late 60s era Roger Corman exploitation film (and/or Pink
Floyd video).

On the other -- V FedExs masks to everybody and they all show up for
the finale.

Both seem equally hard to believe; but I can suspend my disbelief for
both because the message is the most important thing for me...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:41 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

Ah, you see what I said was a joke, an attempt to rile up ZZS here much lik he did in the Superman thread.

*Le sigh*

Nevermind.

I completely understand what it was. That's why I quoted that section of the Bible just like Jor-El.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:42 pm

Ha ha! You know, in a way it is! THE FIGHTIN' JESUS!!! Kicking the
Authority's ass!!!
Last edited by ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:42 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:On the one hand -- Detective takes LSD and has a grand transformation
Floyd video).

yeah, but he scored the good stuff, LSD-25 on crack!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:43 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
ZombieZoneSolu tions wrote:On the one hand -- Detective takes LSD and has a grand transformation
Floyd video).

Tru dat, yo!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

*Le sigh*

Nevermind.

I completely understand what it was. That's why I quoted that section of the Bible just like Jor-El.

I tried. I'll just lurk here and check out the film on the 1st.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:44 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
Keepcoolbu tcare wrote:
ZombieZoneSolu tions wrote:On the one hand -- Detective takes LSD and has a grand transformation
Floyd video).

Tru dat, yo!

I think the LSD trip only works for those who haven't done LSD either that or my experiences with it are far less grandiose then Alan Moore's.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:49 pm

The Vicar wrote:They're releasing a version here that will have the Guy Fowlkes mask included.

Mine.
In plenty of time for Halloween.

Over here too, man! On Tuesday, that shit is mine! MINE!!!

The Vicar wrote:Nice AV upgrade, ZZS.... :D :lol: :wink:

Thank you, sir!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:51 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:
Kee pcoolbu tcare wrote:
Floyd video).

Tru dat, yo!

I think the LSD trip only works for those who haven't done LSD either that or my experiences with it are far less grandiose then Alan Moore's.

And that's why I take it a a metaphor, acid doesn't do anything like that (i wish it did), but it's symbolic of the copper opening his mind up to more...I want to say ethereal but I think that's pushing it, perhaps opening up to more fluid ideas than he's been trained to trust.
There's no way on gods green earth Alan Moore doesn't know what dropping acid is like.

EDIT: Also Moore is very much into his druidic mysticism and part of that is beliving in place memory, i.e that the place a horrific event happened has a psychic scar that can be felt and accessed in the right conditions.

I have to say I agree that certain places that were witness to horrors have a certain atmosphere about them. I remember going through a tour of Warsaw's old town and going into a huge square, I felt chilled to my core and sick to my stomach, it was only when I walked over to the other side and read the plaque on the wall that I discovered it was where the nazis had executed 3,000 men women and children in one afternoon.
Last edited by TonyWilson on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyWilson

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:52 pm

And yes props to Zombie for his av, nice work. Zombie prevails and all that.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:56 pm

Certainly LSD does open your perception; god knows I've had an apotheosis
or two; but the way its used in the comic is just ridiculous. I mean, its right
out of a deadhead's dog-eared, resin-stained, poetry journal...

Oh and thanks for the compliments on the AV, my friend!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:59 pm

I'm pretty sure it's Moore's mystic side coming out in the LSD sequence.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Re: Remember, Remember the 1st of August!

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:17 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:To the Brits -- look, I know Ms. Portman's 'accent' is poor, but you
know we Yanks can't do yr accent right! We're dumber than you are!

IPAMPILASH!

Zombie... you've got to be the most self-hating American I've ever met.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:29 am

TonyWilson wrote:Yeh, er the comic had subtlety the film had Stephen Fry doing quite possibly the stupidest thing EVER. Yes Stephen, I'm sure taking the piss out of the leader of a fascist dictatorship on national TV will lead to you having a slap on the wrist and not being black bagged like EVRYONE else who disagreed with the dictatorship.

I actually loved that part in the film. I think the idea, or at least what I took from it, was that he sort of suspected he was writing himself a ticket to the gallows, but he was just so sick and tired of living under the influence of the Big Brother regime that he snapped and did it anyway, in a blaze of frustration and self-destructive glory. The whole "I'll be fine" bit was just him lying either to Evey or himself in the aftermath.

There's a famous story about an author working in Communist Russia (wish I could remember his name, then) who had a lot of problems with the way the government was run and would often mention them discreetly to his friends, but never discussed them in print because he knew that he would be exiled or sentenced to death as a result. Finally, something in him snapped and he wrote a book -- not totally unlike "V for Vendetta," I suppose -- where the entire story was a metaphor for Stalin's ineffectual regime. Shortly afterwards, he was sent to Siberia. For writing a fucking book! And a symbolic one at that, not an actual political manifesto. I digress...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:49 am

Are you refering to Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Ribbons?

In regards to the film, it had small digs at current powers I guess. Nothing major, typical hollowood fare, but it did paint a convincing picture of 80's Britain although it was kinda non-placed in specific history in order for people to read into the thing whatever they like. Its annoying when this happens to films as much as the latest teeny bopper pop songs, where the lyrics are ambigious to appeal to a widest group as possible.

I was surprised at how the film did resemble the comic tho, amazing for a Moore comic film. The missing acid scene is criminal though, and I mentioned in my review that I thought that this may just be a cut scene, due to a potentially embarrassing performance by Mr. Rae. Who knows.

However, a film that states the power of the people and their right and voice over those that govern them is all good by me in my (comic)books.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:47 am

OK...

FUCK V FOR VENDETTA

or more specifically, fuck the idiots who decided a good marketing strategy would be to make my browser redirect to a site with an ad for the movie.

i'm just browsing along on imdb, and suddenly my browser gets redirected to a 'v for vendetta' ad page. it looked pretty official too, so i don't think it was some overzealous online marketer. i can see how they might've thought it was clever, seeing how it ties in with V taking over people's TVs and stuff, but if they think it's ok to start redirecting my browser to their site so they can advertise their stupid dvd or anything else, then i repeat...

FUCK THEM!!!

pop-up ads are bad enough (and not a problem for me since i have a blocker) but redirecting my browser, taking me away from the site that i was trying to see and forcing me to go to theirs, that shit's not cool. if i was planning on buying the dvd, i wouldn't anymore just because of that.

sorry for the rant, but i can't stand how advertisers feel the need to intrude on every aspect of life to try to sell all their worthless crap. they seem to think they have the right to do anything they want just to sell shit. if V was real, i'd hope he'd be fighting those idiots.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:55 am

I suppose there is sort of an irony there, no?

But did you really hate the movie? Or just the oversealous marketing pop-
up ads that riles you?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:58 am

no, i liked the movie when i saw it in theaters. didn't love it but liked it.

it's the ad-whoring that pisses me off. and if it was just pop-ups, that's one thing (bad enough, but my blocker keeps me safe from those). no, this ad TOOK OVER MY DAMN BROWSER and sent me to a different site. that's out of line.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:00 pm

TheBaxter wrote:it's the ad-whoring that pisses me off. and if it was just pop-ups, that's one thing (bad enough, but my blocker keeps me safe from those). no, this ad TOOK OVER MY DAMN BROWSER and sent me to a different site. that's out of line.

Dang! Yeah, I agree, thats a bit much.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:39 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Certainly LSD does open your perception; god knows I've had an apotheosis
or two; but the way its used in the comic is just ridiculous. I mean, its right
out of a deadhead's dog-eared, resin-stained, poetry journal...

Oh and thanks for the compliments on the AV, my friend!

As Tony said, the visions were exaggerated for dramatic effect. Still, I'd bet Alan Moore had a lot of experience with psychedelics by the time he wrote V for Vendetta. :wink:
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:41 pm

TheBaxter wrote:no, i liked the movie when i saw it in theaters. didn't love it but liked it.

it's the ad-whoring that pisses me off. and if it was just pop-ups, that's one thing (bad enough, but my blocker keeps me safe from those). no, this ad TOOK OVER MY DAMN BROWSER and sent me to a different site. that's out of line.

Gonna avoid that ad. I've seen that happen with other sorts of ads, but not through something on IMDB. Perhaps their new, cluttered look is just a hint of unpleasantness to come.
DennisMM

Next

Return to DVD / Blu-ray