DAZED & CONFUSED CRITERION

Betamax and beyond

DAZED & CONFUSED CRITERION

Postby sonnyboo on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:34 am

Now the triple dip actually pays off...

I held off on getting any previous version of Richard Linklaters DAZED & CONFUSED because I at least wanted a commentary. Well the Criterion not only gave a commentary, but a documentary, deleted scenes, and a TON of additional pieces.

DVD Features:
Available Subtitles: English
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (DTS 5.1)
All new high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Richard Linklater and cinematographer Lee Daniel
Audio commentary by Linklater
"Making Dazed," a 50-minute documentary by filmmaker Kahane Corn
A 72-page book featuring new essays by Kent Jones, Jim DeRogatis, and Chuck Klosterman, plus character profiles, and memories of the film from cast and crew. And the original film poster designed by Frank Kozik
Rare on-set interviews and behind-the-scenes footag
Footage from the 10-year anniversary celebration
Audition footage
Deleted Scenes
Original trailer

and I think it has "chapter stops" too!

It was worth the wait.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:38 am

OH THANK YOU SWEET GOD!!!

This is one of my fave all time films. I held off on the DVD as well but couldn't hold off when I started to tell my gf about it! So I got it begining of the year, I then brought the FLASHBACK edition as well!

I was gonna flog em, but I'll think I'll keep both especially as I think the FLASHBACK edition has different extras to the criterion edition!

I can't tell you how much my eyes popped out at this news!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Well done Sonyn Boo for posting it! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:17 pm

that motherfucker is only 30 bucks at frys. it is definitely on my list. allah be praised for giving us criterion!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Proinsias on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:22 pm

Love this film. But could never watch it other than a last day of school or college. Now that that is over, I might watch it when a job is finishing and i'm gonna be unemployed for a while...doesent really have the same effect. I remember the BBC played this about 5 years ago on the first day of summer holidays, stroke of brilliance...I'll be gettin this.
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby Flumm on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:27 pm

Goddamn, I HATE Criterion.

Mocking my empty pockets from across the ocean. :(

I only saw Dazed and Confused for the first time a couple o' months back as it goes, yet it's easily one of those films that deserves all the extra's. I could well see why someone would stump up the cash for it. Movie like this, all about atmosphere, friendship, growing up, moving on, all those kinda of bitter sweet nostalgic kinda things, are often more guiltily involving than you want them to be. One of those pieces of pop cutlure were you wanna drink up all the things around it, to expand, and live in the experience a little longer, the people and experiences of those who made it, I think, aswell as the things it evokes in yourself I reckon too.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:47 pm

It's in my top 5 films ever, I watched it religiously from about 15 to 21. I never watch it as much cus like Prosinias says, it's just not the same when you are at work.
It's such a smart movie to, the dialogue is perfect, the smart characters have that balance of high school pretension and slowly getting to grips with realities. The discussions people have are specific but the subtext is universal. It's hilarious and chock full of great quotes too.
A perfect movie now given the perfect treatment.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:51 pm

"I love High School Girls..."
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:56 pm

"...I get older but they stay the same age"
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby sonnyboo on Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:36 pm

The documentary is pretty brutal on GRAMERCY PICTURES and UNIVERSAL for screwing up the marketing of the movie. I love honest, real stories about production & business.

I've devoured this set. It's a great follow up to the SLACKER Criterion, that included an entire Super 8 film feature.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Brocktune on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:25 pm

sonnyboo wrote:The documentary is pretty brutal on GRAMERCY PICTURES and UNIVERSAL for screwing up the marketing of the movie. I love honest, real stories about production & business.

yeah, they do quite a bit of that in the H.S. Thompson commentary track on their "Fear and Loathing..." set. too awesome!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:27 am

Criterion rule!

Dazed and confused rules as well!

I'd just like to add that not only is this one of my top favortie films ever and I also watched it religious fro like 16 to 21/22 I recently put it on again and it still works so fucking well.

If you now work and haven'tw atched in a long time - pu tit on. It works but fom a different angle. Matthew McConghays(how the fuck do you spell that fuckign name?) character is fucking upped alevel when you realise how many people are like him.

I always guessed it. I always kida knew it. BUt now I see it!

Dazed and Confused 10/10 filmmaking
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:15 am

It has that perfect ending of a kid putting on the headphones and just chilling. They ain't no ordinary headphones either, they are the platform shoes of headphones. This scene to me sums up the experience of watching the movie. You just put on the retro 'phones , close your eyes and drift off into blissful nostalgic escapism.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:17 am

and ooohhhhhh how good it is!

That opening to Aerosmith is one of the single coolest mopenings to a film EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby moose4787 on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:36 pm

As much as i thourgly enjoy this movie I just cant get my self to go out and get it because of the price tag. $35 is a lot to ask for a movie that you could go and pull out of the 5.99 bucket at your local best buy.
Xbox live profile: Moose4787
moose4787
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:49 pm

moose4787 wrote:As much as i thourgly enjoy this movie I just cant get my self to go out and get it because of the price tag. $35 is a lot to ask for a movie that you could go and pull out of the 5.99 bucket at your local best buy.

You're not paying for the movie, you're paying for all the extras that aren't on any bargin bin disc. If you don't want the xtras, it's not worth the $$$.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby bamf on Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:08 pm

This dvd is worth the price. I enjoyed the commentary. But its the transfer that looks amazing. I held off on buying this on dvd because I was waiting for a decent package. So I was pretty used to seeing this on VHS. whoa, does it look amazing.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby kokomo84 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:30 pm

that box alone is worth buying
kokomo84
GLIB

Return to DVD / Blu-ray