Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Betamax and beyond

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Postby rhaps0dy on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:11 pm

Ok, this series was recently released on dvd and i can honestly say its one of the funniest things you can buy at the moment! I'm not sure if it was ever shown in the states but it was shown on channel 4 in the UK! Anyways, its awesome and i can't praise it enough, if you get the chance buy it!

The Basic premise is about the weird/supernatural goings on at a hospital in Romford, upon the recent re-opening of a hell mouth, its a spoof of certain 70s/80s television programmes along influences from the office!

"based on melodies originally whistled by Garth Marenghi" :D

p.s. if you have seen it what did you think of it??
"All happy families resemble one another, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.."
rhaps0dy
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:31 pm

i remember watching this on Channel 4 , great series , lots of little references.
any extras on the DVD ?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:49 pm

Are they going to release it on R1? I'm angry about missing it on Sci-Fi and I've only seen the second episode on YouTube.

But anything where they make fun of the '80s is a-ok by me.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Garth Merenghi's Dark Place

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:52 am

This show has stolen my heart and made hot sweaty, messy monkey love to it, then placed in, goo covered, back into my chest!

I caught this on Adult swim and I haven't laughed so hard in years. The show is just fucking aces! Its poorly acted, the comedic timing is top notch and cheap as hell, (which is what they're aiming for) And I love every fucking minute of it.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:36 am

"I'm a one-track lover, down a two way lane"

Awesome show, Scotch Mist is probably my favourite episode - I wish they'd do a second series. For me, Matt Berry (as Todd Rivers, playing Dr Lucien Sanchez) is the guy who makes it so good, although all the supporting cast are excellent too. But Berry is one of my heroes, from The Mighty Boosh through AC/BC and Saxondale to the I.T Crowd, he is consistently the funniest guy onscreen.

He's a talented musician/songwriter too - there are loads of clips of him on YouTube singing stuff like "One Track Lover" at live gigs.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tangerine on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:49 am

"But then again, she was like a candle in the wind... Unreliable."

I love this series!!!!!!!! Pure genius. I know I say that about a lot of things, but this is seriously no.1!!

I love the bit in the beginning when Garth is explaining how everyone is good at something. He, for instance, is a talented writer, director, producer, actor blah blah... "Other people are good plumbers."

Or when they had to use slow-motion to extend the lenght of the episodes. "We tried to keep the slow-motion away from the dialogue as much as possible..." :lol:
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:03 am

Sorry in advance for the vague-ness, but I watched an episode of this on Adult Swim and it almost looked like the actual episode was being intercut with a sort of retrospective by the actors on the show. Does anybody know if this was bonus content that was added later on, like with with the DVD release; or was it just a gag within the episode; or are they all like that?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:13 am

Ribbons wrote:Sorry in advance for the vague-ness, but I watched an episode of this on Adult Swim and it almost looked like the actual episode was being intercut with a sort of retrospective by the actors on the show. Does anybody know if this was bonus content that was added later on, like with with the DVD release; or was it just a gag within the episode; or are they all like that?

They're all like that. The whole joke is that it's supposed to be an actual series that aired in the '80s, but was quickly canceled. Thus, he unearthed them and added the interviews.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:33 am

I also happened to catch an episode on Adult Swim recently. Funny!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:39 am

buster00 wrote:Funny!

Indeedy-doodles, I lol'ed a couple of times during the episode; I kind of want to see more now.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:50 am

Great stuff. I loved this when I caught it on Sci-Fi months ago and I love that Adult Swim is now showing them. I hope it gets a R1 Dvd release soon.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:46 am

You can find ALL the episodes on YouTube for the moment.

Richard Aoyade is freakin' hilarious, though I like him as Maurice Moss, the Steve Urkel of the new millennium.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:17 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:"I'm a one-track lover, down a two way lane"

Awesome show, Scotch Mist is probably my favourite episode - I wish they'd do a second series. For me, Matt Berry (as Todd Rivers, playing Dr Lucien Sanchez) is the guy who makes it so good, although all the supporting cast are excellent too. But Berry is one of my heroes, from The Mighty Boosh through AC/BC and Saxondale to the I.T Crowd, he is consistently the funniest guy onscreen.

He's a talented musician/songwriter too - there are loads of clips of him on YouTube singing stuff like "One Track Lover" at live gigs.

Did you watch Snuff Box, that him and Fulcher did? Personally that show is one of my favorite comedies ever made.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:37 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Did you watch Snuff Box, that him and Fulcher did? Personally that show is one of my favorite comedies ever made.

I sure did! "Rapper with a baby" was probably my high point of that show, but there were many excellent moments. I found it a wee bit hit-and-miss compared to stuff like Dark Place though. Mind you, the theme tune was sublime.

LaDracul wrote:Richard Aoyade is freakin' hilarious, though I like him as Maurice Moss, the Steve Urkel of the new millennium.

Agreed - he got his own spin-offshow as Dean Learner too - Man to Man with Dean Learner, iirc
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:12 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Did you watch Snuff Box, that him and Fulcher did? Personally that show is one of my favorite comedies ever made.

I sure did! "Rapper with a baby" was probably my high point of that show, but there were many excellent moments. I found it a wee bit hit-and-miss compared to stuff like Dark Place though. Mind you, the theme tune was sublime.

WHISKEY!!!!! Yeah that Baby skit was awesomeness.

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:
LaDracul wrote:Richard Aoyade is freakin' hilarious, though I like him as Maurice Moss, the Steve Urkel of the new millennium.

Agreed - he got his own spin-offshow as Dean Learner too - Man to Man with Dean Learner, iirc

Lots of awesome "guests" on Man To Man. Even our pal Garth!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby captainjazz on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:42 pm

"As I turned the corner, I felt muscular and compact - like corned beef."

Such a funny show.
captainjazz
GLIB

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Remember when this was first shown on Channel 4 and it was just a revolution of hillarity! I've just bought a new copy of the DVD cos the first copy was so fucking worn out from watching! :shock:

'Calm down Sanch, or you'll get a knuckle supper.'
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby tangerine on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:44 am

Got me copy!!
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:58 am

Well done tange - enjoy! I still crack up at Berry doing One-track lover..... the "power grab" he does when he sings "because the temperature's TOO HIGH" could only be the work of a comedy genius.

Some guy on YouTube edited the tune into a full-length version, complete with its own "video" - it's called something like "one track lover 12 inch remix" (sorry, can't get on youtube at work or I'd give you a link) - check it out if you can!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tangerine on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:14 am

Just watched it :lol: "I wish I was more attractive like Douglas..."

Gold.
tangerine
AIRWOLF

Postby sonnyboo on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:50 pm

They managed to get the look of the 1980's NBC movies like A-TEAM, V, MISFITS OF SCIENCE, etc. and make something truly hysterical. I've seen some bootlegs, but what we really need are some R1 DVD's of SPACED series 1 & 2...
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:22 pm

sonnyboo wrote:They managed to get the look of the 1980's NBC movies like A-TEAM, V, MISFITS OF SCIENCE, etc. and make something truly hysterical. I've seen some bootlegs, but what we really need are some R1 DVD's of SPACED series 1 & 2...

Buy the Region 2 versions and hack your DVD player.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:43 pm

I've got ripped copies of the 3 disc set in R2 and my Phillips standard def is already hacked & playing plenty of regions of discs....
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Re: Garth Merenghi's Dark Place

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:15 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:10 am

I forgot to mention the reason I wordlessly spammed this thread the other day is because I've just recently started watching the brilliant GARTH MARENGHI'S DARKPLACE, and right now they're all easily available on YouTube. Binge, to see what you've been missing! Or have an unorthodox workout playlist.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to DVD / Blu-ray