YOU"VE GOT THE TOUCH!!!!! (Transformers on DVD)

Betamax and beyond

YOU"VE GOT THE TOUCH!!!!! (Transformers on DVD)

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:19 pm

I know that this has been mentioned/discussed in a couple of forum but since its release yesterday on dvd and the impending re-release of the series on dvd here in the near future to help "promote" the movie I thought that my/our beloved Transformers deserved their own thread.

I bought this masterpiece after work yesterday at my local Target, and slapped it in as soon as got to my Apt. As soon as I heard the beat of the 80s synthasizers I imediatly became 7 years old again. I loved every minute of watching that flick. From the tragic demise of Optimus, to the weilding power of Unicron. I found myself wanting to go back to target just to buy more toys...super nerd I know, but what can I say it was a staple of my childhood along with He-Man.

The one thing I did notice was the awsome voice work of some of the finest actors in hollywood :) such as Lenard Nimoy, Judd Nelson, Robert Stack, and the one true voice that brings any film instant street cred...Orson Wells.

So fellow zoners feel free to praise, rant, and sarcastically jest both the animated movie as wel as the season dvds!
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Re: YOU"VE GOT THE TOUCH!!!!! (Transformers on DVD)

Postby Brocktune on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:28 pm

Hollywood_Bob wrote:I thought that my/our beloved Transformers deserved their own thread

you mean like these?

or these perhaps?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:52 pm

Bah weep gra-nah weep ninni bong
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:53 pm

John-Locke wrote:Bah weep gra-nah weep ninni bong

ladies and gentlemen, the geekiest post ever.

Seriously JL...I want to nurse your future children with my udders...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:17 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Bah weep gra-nah weep ninni bong

ladies and gentlemen, the geekiest post ever.

Seriously JL...I want to nurse your future children with my udders...

I believe the correct response is actually

http://transformersthemoviedvd.com/soundboard/
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:34 pm

Its actually a great DVD, lots of extras.

Plus the movie did have a bad word in it....always a positive.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:57 pm

The region 2 disc isn't out till April for some reason.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:59 pm

Yeah the extras on the DVD are rather cool...I have yet to go through the comentaries...however like I mentioned I am still thirsting for the re-release of the series DVDS.
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:01 pm

so what are the extras?

I'm sure I could figure this out by going to amazon.com, but that sounds like too much typing effort...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:26 pm

From what I've know - the trailer & toy adverts, deleted scenes, a documentary, a commentary by the voice of Arcee and a little thing about the new film (which is already on youtube)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:16 pm

Hollywood_Bob wrote:however like I mentioned I am still thirsting for the re-release of the series DVDS.

man, you should have picked them up when rhino first put em out. 5 very nice sets for the complete series.

very nice indeed.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:20 pm

I love the transfer on this. Very clear picture. Only thing I've not done is play it with the fan commentary. The commentary with Susan Blu(Arcee's voice), Flint Dille(story), and Nelson Shin(director), is decent, but Shin comes off like Admiral Stockdale with his observations. I'm sure it might be a language barrier, but he did seem a bit slow on the uptake.

The 2007 preview of the live action movie didn't exactly blow me away, nor did the repeat of the teaser. And can anyone tell me why the toy commercials were so blurry? I played it on 2 tv's and it seemed like they were out of focus, especially the closeup of the kids' faces. The popup thing that showed us some of the movie facts weren't very informative. Only thing that got by me that that they covered was the fact that Ironhide had a flyby in an aerial overshot of Autobot City after being killed.

Also, I found a continuity gaff noone else probably saw, tho it might be on IMDB. Pause when Kup says 'What's that darn fool doing?' and you'll see Hound and Sunstreaker on his left and right side. Cut to Optimus onboard his ship coming in a few moments later and there they are.

All in all a good dvd and a great trip down memory lane. My only problem is that now I feel very very old............. Ah well......
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:45 pm

I've just read that the fan commentary is better than the Shin/Arcee one.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:20 pm

The side by side comparison of the original and the remastered versions of the film is interesting. The original animation actually didnt look so bad when I was a kid. Now that they've cleaned it up, its pretty funny how shotty it looks.

Those Unicron scenes still pwn me though.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: YOU"VE GOT THE TOUCH!!!!! (Transformers on DVD)

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:49 pm

'Transformers: The Movie' Has The Touch In Today's Sick Day Stash!
Rob Markman wrote:Call them "cult classics." "Guilty pleasures." "Comfort movies." We all have a mental rolodex of flicks that may not be terribly popular but, for one reason or another, they resonate in a very special way. Maybe you saw it at the right moment. Maybe you just see gold where everyone else sees feces. Whatever the case, these are the special favorites that you keep stashed away for sick days. These are some of ours.

Rob Markman wrote:What an amazingly cruel way to leave an impression on a child: take their most invincible hero, put him on the grandest stage possible and murder him before your young eyes. It wasn’t even an hour into the film when he met his demise, but when the closing credits rolled 84 minutes later, reality sunk in: Optimus Prime was dead and “Transformers: The Movie” was the greatest animated experience for ’80’s babies everywhere.

It was the summer of 1986 when the animated-gem was released in theaters and 25 years later the original "Transformers" movie remains the greatest adaptation (sorry Michael Bay). There was nothing that would prepare my six-year old self for what I was about to see. There was, however, a persistent rumor started by some kids in my neighborhood who got their kicks spreading persistent rumors (you know, the same kids who claimed to own a Super Famicon, the highly-coveted Japanese version of Super Nintendo).

Supposedly the Kenmore movie theater in Flatbush, Brooklyn, was giving away free Transformers toys to all kids who made the first showing, and not just any toy: the planet-eating Unicron (voiced by Orson Welles). So, I begged my 16-year old brother who never took me anywhere to take me to the theater on Church avenue, just blocks away from our home.

We made our way into the Kenmore; there were no action figures, but I wasn’t too disappointed. I only half-believed the rumor anyway (I was six, but I wasn’t a moron). Seeing my favorite television cartoon characters on the big screen was thrilling enough. It started off fine: the Autobots were enjoying life in peaceful Autobot City on Earth, and of course the Decepticons were plotting. The good guys always won; this was normal.

This time though, things were different. The Autobots were taking a serious ass-kicking: Ratchet, Ironhide, Wheeljack, Prowl were all murdered. "It’ll be okay," I thought. "Optimus will save the day." During his fateful battle scene with Megatron, Stan Bush’ “The Touch” even played in the background, and everyone knows that’s like the most heroic song ever recorded in life. It’ll be okay.

Boy, was I wrong. Three laser blasts to the chest would be all it took to shatter all that my young mind believed in. It was during that 1986 summer that I would learn, bad things could happen to good people — or robots.

“One day an Autobot shall rise from our ranks and use the power of the Matrix to light our darkest hour,” Optimus said from his death bed as he removed his robot-like heart from his chest. “Until the day ‘til all are one.” Then his body turned from a bright red, to a dull blue and finally a deathly grey.

I dropped a tear — screw it, the truth is, I cried. Right there in the Kenmore, I cried. It’s one of those moments that my older brother still teases me about to this day. But I’m not ashamed. I still get choked up every time I fire up the Blu-ray player to watch the greatest animated movie of all-time.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:50 pm

From SciFi Japan 06/13/2011:
TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION – HEADMASTERS Debuts on Region 1 DVD

From SciFi Japan 12/11/2011:
TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION on DVD January 10th

From Shout Factory:
Transformers: The Japanese Collection with Bonus Lithograph!

Early happy New Year 2012! Fans and collectors can finally bring home TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION DVD box set from Shout! Factory, in collaboration with Hasbro. This is the rare Japanese trilogy that followed the popular "Generation 1" animated series. Available for the first time in North America, this 13-DVD box set is fully loaded with over 42 hours of entertainment, including all episodes that originally aired from the three Japanese series — Headmasters, Super-God Masterforce and Victory — each with their original Japanese audio tracks, English subtitles, and an art gallery. Pre-order begins now!

TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION – Headmasters -- Optimus Prime lives again, the energy of the Matrix has been released and peace reigns on Cybertron . . . but all that is about to change with the startling arrival of the newest breed of TRANSFORMERS warriors.

TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION – Super-God Masterforce -- Following their victory over the DESTRONS (a/k/a DECEPTICONS) at the end of Headmasters, the CYBERTRONS (AUTOBOTS) depart Earth, leaving behind only a small group to protect the planet from any future menace. But when the powerful DESTRONS return to an unsuspecting planet, the CYBERTRONS must come out of hiding to defend their human friends once again — only this time they’ll be unable to do it on their own!

TRANSFORMERS: THE JAPANESE COLLECTION – Victory -- Victory is the third and final installment of this Japanese trilogy— introduces four new factions to the TRANSFORMERS universe. Each group comes equipped with its own unique power and the ability to combine to form much larger, more powerful TRANSFORMERS, making each and every battle even more epic!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Michael Bay's Transformers Return

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:51 pm

From IGN:
Michael Bay's Transformers Return - Everything you ever wanted in Bay's Transformers is here.
David McCutcheon wrote:Love it or hate it, you can't deny the impact that Michael Bay's Transformers franchise has had on the mainstream movie-going experience. The three films have been a staple in pop culture for the past several years, influencing how action flicks are delivered, and now the third entry into the series, Dark of the Moon, will be getting the royal treatment.

Re-releases and double dips are nothing new to Bay's Transformers series, as we are fully accustomed to the whole bare-bones edition that is followed several months later by a bigger and beefier Special Edition. This version of Transformers: Dark of the Moon, dubbed the Limited 3D Edition, will contain a copy of the film for just about every format that is currently relevant, sprawling across Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, DVD, and a Digital Copy.

Paramount Home Entertainment will be the ones in charge of delivering the Limited 3D Edition, due later this month on January 31, 2012. Hard to believe that it is but a mere few weeks away, though the buzz on the Blu-ray 3D format has waned as of late. Perhaps this will give it the kickstart it so needs. It will be made available at the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) of $54.99.

In addition to this Limited 3D Edition of the Dark of the Moon, there will be a gigantic Blu-ray collection that will look to be the absolute must-have library for Bay's Transformers. Titled the Limited Collector's Edition Trilogy and exclusive to Blu-ray, seven discs will house a comprehensive box set in some awesome packaging that contains all three films – including the third installment in 3D – in their most complete versions of the Blu-ray format. It will also be available on January 31, 2012, and will cost the MSRP of $149.99.

The releases will feature the following bonus materials:
    * Above and Beyond: Exploring Dark of the Moon
    * Rising from the Fallen: Development and Design
    * Ready for Prime Time: Filming Across America
    * Battle in the Heartland: Shooting in Chicago
    * Attack of the Birdmen: Aerial Stunts
    * Shadow of the Sentinel: Post-Production and Release
    * Uncharted Territory: NASA's Future Then and Now
    * Deconstructing Chicago: Multi-Angle Sequences
    * Previsualizations with optional commentary by director Michael Bay and previsualization supervisor Steve Yamamoto
    * Previsualizations/Final Shot Comparison with optional commentary by director Michael Bay and previsualization supervisor Steve Yamamoto
    * Visual Effects with optional commentary by visual effects supervisors Scott Farrar and Matthew Butler
    * Visual Effects/Final Shot Comparison with optional commentary by visual effects supervisors Scott Farrar and Matthew Butler
    * The Art of CYBERTRON
      o AUTOBOTS
      o DECEPTICONS
      o Environments
      o Weapons and Gear
      o Ships
    * The Dark of the Moon Archive
    * 3D: A Transforming Visual Art
    * Moscow World Premiere
    * Birdmen Featurette
    * Cody's iPad
    * The Sound of Transformers: Dark of the Moon