The New Bond DVD's

Betamax and beyond

The New Bond DVD's

Postby R0BTRAIN on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:51 pm

Has anyone bought these? I've got all of the original DVD Special Editions so is it worth it to upgrade? I know that first box set has Goldfinger and then four stinkers, but I usually love the extras on these discs, or at least I did the originals. Just wondering.
Chuck Norris fact #1 - Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.
R0BTRAIN
GLIB

Postby sonnyboo on Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:41 pm

Double Dip time right before HD versions of Bond...

save your money
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Re: The New Bond DVD's

Postby bAzTNM on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:01 pm

R0BTRAIN wrote:Has anyone bought these? I've got all of the original DVD Special Editions so is it worth it to upgrade? I know that first box set has Goldfinger and then four stinkers, but I usually love the extras on these discs, or at least I did the originals. Just wondering.

If you already have the Special Editions then I don't think its worth it getting the new ones.
bAzTNM
GLIB

Postby Theta on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:58 am

Actually, while they might be double dips, the format war is far, far from over.

These are 4K scans, which are, technically, an improvement over the original transfers...but they were pretty amazing in the first place.

Essentially, if you don't have the Bonds already, the "Ultimate Editions" are coming out in dirt cheap single disc editions; just retail in my area they're available for as little as $9 week of release. If you have holes in your collection, it's worth filling them (it's what I plan to do.) Otherwise I wouldn't do it.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:12 am

I got the 2004 boxed sets, and these do NOT have anything special worth shelling out for the TRIPLE DIP (inferior, unsepcial editions were out on DVD before).
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Dashing Roger on Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:30 pm

I don't have any of them so I'm buying 'em all! I might buy a few twice just becase! YEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
"We can make a deal, Mister Bond. I'll get you a delicatessen, made out of stainless steel." - Ernst Stavro Blofeld
Dashing Roger
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:45 pm

Dashing Roger wrote:I don't have any of them so I'm buying 'em all! I might buy a few twice just becase! YEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Now there's a cowboy for Generation boXset.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Theta on Tue May 08, 2007 3:18 pm

Just FYI; the next five titles, coming out on May 22nd, are a mixed bag; two Connerys, the good Dalton, and...well...two Moores. Sorry, it's hard for me to get enthused about the Moores aside from "Live and Let Die."

Actual titles:

"You Only Live Twice" (if you don't have it, buy it, I bought the two-discer and even just the first disc is worth the $9)

"From Russia With Love" (Must-buy for me)

"The Living Daylights" (another must-buy)

"The Man With the Golden Gun" (featuring a midget and a freakin' tall opera singer)

And "Moonraker", in case you needed an expensive coaster.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby The Todd on Tue May 08, 2007 3:21 pm

Theta wrote:the good Dalton..."The Living Daylights" (another must-buy)

While The Todd enjoyed The Living Daylights, I personally think License to Kill was a much better Dalton flick. Either way, the man was still screwed over as Bond.....
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Tue May 08, 2007 3:28 pm

The Todd wrote:

While The Todd enjoyed The Living Daylights, I personally think License to Kill was a much better Dalton flick. Either way, the man was still screwed over as Bond.....

Yeah, Dalton got completely shafted.

I haven't seen "Daylights" in years, partially because I refused to buy those Bond boxes MGM kept putting out. But "License" didn't hold up well when I revisited it, although it has some good stunts and a great fuck-you moment at the end.

It's not Moore bad, but it doesn't feel like much of a Bond film, either. It feels more like a generic '80s action flick, right down to the uninspired villains (drug dealers? And televangelists? Yeesh.) and the "Bond Takes Revenge" plot setup. Call it "Bahama Heat" and have the hero named "Jimmy", and people would probably have trouble realizing it's a Bond movie.

And it has the shittiest Bond song this side of Chris Cornell; who thought "adult contemporary" suited Bond?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby The Todd on Tue May 08, 2007 3:35 pm

Theta wrote:
The Todd wrote:

Yeah, Dalton got completely shafted.

I haven't seen "Daylights" in years, partially because I refused to buy those Bond boxes MGM kept putting out. But "License" didn't hold up well when I revisited it, although it has some good stunts and a great fuck-you moment at the end.

It's not Moore bad, but it doesn't feel like much of a Bond film, either. It feels more like a generic '80s action flick, right down to the uninspired villains (drug dealers? And televangelists? Yeesh.) and the "Bond Takes Revenge" plot setup. Call it "Bahama Heat" and have the hero named "Jimmy", and people would probably have trouble realizing it's a Bond movie.

And it has the shittiest Bond song this side of Chris Cornell; who thought "adult contemporary" suited Bond?

The Todd can see your point. I really felt like is was a prefect Bond script for Dalton in terms of James Bond, the character. While Connery invented movie Bond, Lazenby didn't have time to put his stamp on the role, and Moore was The Saint-renamed, I really believed Dalton could be the tough, rugged, take no shit Bond that was in the novels. Kill offered him the chance to step outside the look-at-me-I'm-the-spy-character-every-guy-dreams-to-be and be real. Full of anger and violence. But yeah, they should have given him better scripts.....
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue May 08, 2007 3:38 pm

I was on the verge of giving out another red card for this cruelism:

Theta wrote:It's not "Moore bad"

But then you brought this particular memory back to life for me:

Theta wrote:"Bahama Heat"

LOL - I'd forgotten all about that show! Genius. In the UK in the early nineties, 24 hour terrestial TV was in its infancy. One channel, ITV, filled its late night slots with a whole host of stuff - Bahama Heat, the War of the Worlds TV spinoff, Alien Nation, CrimeStory, Tour of Duty and so on. I'd cherished the memory of all the others ever since - but BH had fallen right out of my consciousness.

It was like Magnum. But with worse acting. And more cheese. And worse acting. And less fashion. And worse acting.

Thanks for calling it back Theta. It was rubbish, but I loved it all the same.
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Tue May 08, 2007 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Tue May 08, 2007 3:39 pm

I see your point as well. If they'd just given him a damn chance, he would have rivalled Connery.

Oh well, at least he doesn't lack for work, or fun roles. He kicked ass in "Hot Fuzz."
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue May 08, 2007 3:47 pm

In Dalton's Days it was the worst time for anyone to be Bond. Originally it was Brosnan that they wanted but got Dalton instead. I doubt he would have been a lot more successful, and nowhere near as good as he was when he finally did do his 4 films later.

Bahama Heat? Sorry Doc, normally I'm with ya on things but I don't remember this at all.

Don't knock Chris Cornell's theme either. Such a great song to grow on you.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Theta on Tue May 08, 2007 3:48 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:I was on the verge of giving out another red card for this cruelism:

Well, Moore as an ACTOR wasn't terrible. If nothing else, he had a good sense of humor and never phoned it in; consummate professional no matter what garbage they handed him.

But he did preside over some of the worst films in the series, and so far the series has never sunk lower that "Moonraker", which is truly a dickpunch of a motion picture. Not even TWINE, with Denise Richards proving her complete lack of talent with every frame, hurt so much.

The only Moore I like is "Live and Let Die", to be honest, but I REALLY like it. As in I'll be excited when it finally comes out and I can own it again.

But then you brought this particular memory back to life for me:

Theta wrote:"Bahama Heat"

LOL - I'd forgotten all about that show! Genius. In the UK in the early nineties, 24 hour terrestial TV was in its infancy. One channel, ITV, filled its late night slots with a whole host of stuff - Bahama Heat, the War of the Worlds TV spinoff, Alien Nation, CrimeStory, Tour of Duty and so on. I'd cherished the memory of all the others ever since - but BH had fallen right out of my consciousness.

It was like Magnum. But with worse acting. And more cheese. And worse acting. And less fashion. And worse acting.

Thanks for calling it back Theta. It was rubbish, but I loved it all the same.

Holy crap! I remember that too! Here in the States they ran it at, like one in the morning! Man, that was funny! They should do a "Grindhouse" style DVD release of a few of those shows, like it was a programming block. I'd buy it.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue May 08, 2007 3:53 pm

Again most of Moore was a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time for his part. Everything after The Spy Who Loved Me was more and more downhill, and the guy should just ahve quit after Moonraker which was the peak of far fetched fiction. Even though the films afterwards tried to get back to reality, they got progressively more stale and Moore just looked older.

He was terrific in the first 3 movies, even Moonraker in part, but after that he had had his day. Just wished that he would quit afterwards but he seemed to refuse to. Then again, maybe this is all OK as he was REALLY trying to be a world saving hero - as he did a lot for charity didn't he? He cared about that a lot more than his work, it was his life as far as I know. Guess those big salaries paid off for someone.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue May 08, 2007 3:55 pm

Theta wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:I was on the verge of giving out another red card for this cruelism:

Well, Moore as an ACTOR wasn't terrible. If nothing else, he had a good sense of humor and never phoned it in; consummate professional no matter what garbage they handed him.

But he did preside over some of the worst films in the series, and so far the series has never sunk lower that "Moonraker", which is truly a dickpunch of a motion picture. Not even TWINE, with Denise Richards proving her complete lack of talent with every frame, hurt so much.

The only Moore I like is "Live and Let Die", to be honest, but I REALLY like it. As in I'll be excited when it finally comes out and I can own it again.

To be honest, I can't disagree with any of that. I liked THE SPY WHO LOVED ME as well - and I think Moore should have been let go before A VIEW TO A KILL, but otherwise, yeh - he lucked out on the era and films he was given, big time. Octopussy is an absolute shocker.

Theta wrote:Holy crap! I remember that too! Here in the States they ran it at, like one in the morning! Man, that was funny! They should do a "Grindhouse" style DVD release of a few of those shows, like it was a programming block. I'd buy it.

LOL - do you mean to say originally you came up with the title, not remembering the show? Because I can think of no more fitting a tribute - that's classic!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Tue May 08, 2007 3:55 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Don't knock Chris Cornell's theme either. Such a great song to grow on you.

If it weren't attached to a Bond movie, it wouldn't bother me. It's another generic rock song I can ignore. But it is, and it just doesn't work no matter how hard David Arnold strains over the bowl. Part of this is just Arnold is a second-string composer; I wish the Broccolis would sprout a pair, turf Arnold and get somebody who can either make with the John Barry, like Michael Giacchino, or a new and fresh composer, like Clint Mansell. Mansell's work on "Sahara" was a lot more interesting and listenable, and he was phoning that one in for the paycheck.

I mean, a grunge singer? What's next? Jessica Simpson? Nickelback? Maybe Sum-41 would like to do a bunch of psuedo-Barry loops and whine some lyrics!
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue May 08, 2007 3:58 pm

Well give Arnbold his credit, in Royale he did churn out some classic Bond John Barryish music. Very loud and dramatic than we've got in recent Bond movies. All in all, it's one of the best Bond music I've heard in Donkeys.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Theta on Tue May 08, 2007 3:58 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
LOL - do you mean to say originally you came up with the title, not remembering the show? Because I can think of no more fitting a tribute - that's classic!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's true, I was just thinking of generic '80s action-movie titles. "Bahama Heat" seemed like a plausible one. If I ever get my shot at a "Grindhouse"-type flick, I know what the title's going to be: "Dead Aim at a Hard Kill."
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Tue May 08, 2007 4:03 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Well give Arnbold his credit, in Royale he did churn out some classic Bond John Barryish music. Very loud and dramatic than we've got in recent Bond movies. All in all, it's one of the best Bond music I've heard in Donkeys.

Ehhh...it's Barry-lite, and while Gladys Knight's number undeniably sucked, I don't like the direction Arnold's taken the opening songs (with the exception of "Tomorrow Never Dies", which had two good songs.) I can put the soundtracks for Thunderball, YOLT, pretty much any Barry-scored Bond on my CD player and enjoy them as music, you know? Arnold, I feel like I'm on an elevator.

I actually liked Eric Serra's work on "Goldeneye"; it was a little of-its-time but he at least tried to be different.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue May 08, 2007 4:11 pm

Who do you think would make a great singer for the next Bond film, Theta?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Theta on Tue May 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Who do you think would make a great singer for the next Bond film, Theta?

Well, first off, somebody English (or from the non-American colonies thereof), for God's sake. That's been annoying me more than anything else.

Amy Winehouse; she's got the pipes and DEFINITELY the attitude.

If a man is needed, how about Nick Cave? I'd love to hear a Bond murder ballad.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Big Jo-hn, Big Bad John on Tue May 08, 2007 7:38 pm

I know Amy Winehouse (don't hate me because I'm awesome), next time I see her I'll ask her if she'd do a Bond theme.

But not while they are using that homo squaddie Daniel Craig.

http://www.danielcraigisnotbond.com/

Oh and if you like Nick Cave click my sig.
http://www.danavenell.com
Now with added Laser-Monkeys!
Big Jo-hn, Big Bad John
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Theta on Tue May 08, 2007 10:47 pm

Big Jo-hn, Big Bad John wrote:I know Amy Winehouse (don't hate me because I'm awesome), next time I see her I'll ask her if she'd do a Bond theme.

But not while they are using that homo squaddie Daniel Craig.

I've been a Bond fan since birth. My dad raised me. As you might have noticed from my rants, I'm insanely picky.

I have no trouble whatsoever with Daniel Craig.

If you won't do it for Bond, at least tell her to talk to John Barry about doing something. I'd buy dozens of copies of a Winehouse/Barry collaboration and hand 'em out on the street if I had to.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby sonnyboo on Sat May 12, 2007 3:09 pm

I have spent my entire life with the Bond movies, especially the Sean Connery ones. My dad also had a passion for the spy-movies. I thought Pierce Brosnan was the best (movie) Bond, but Sean Connery was my favorite. I was trepid about Daniel Craig and even doing a Casino Royale movie. I have in the last 4-5 years read all the Ian fleming novels, quite frankly Timothy Dalton was the closest to the written character we've had... until now. Daniel Craig did an amazing job and brought a realism and emotional depth to the character that had not been seen in the movie version of Bond yet.

The film CASINO ROYALE, having now seen the DVD is by far and away the best of the Bond movies made, in my opinion and for my likes and dislikes.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Return to DVD / Blu-ray