Moriarty's DVD Blog 2007 (UPDATED WITH NEW GAME)

Betamax and beyond

Postby Moriarty on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:13 am

Was FLYBOYS also shot using the Genesis?

The other night, when I saw Scott Frank's THE LOOKOUT, I didn't even question whether or not it was film. I just assumed it was. Turns out that was shot with the Genesis, too.

It's starting to happen more and more, and I think it's getting better and better looking.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Dark Knight on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:22 am

Moriarty wrote:Was FLYBOYS also shot using the Genesis?

The other night, when I saw Scott Frank's THE LOOKOUT, I didn't even question whether or not it was film.

I just assumed it was. Turns out that was shot with the Genesis, too.

It's starting to happen more and more, and I think it's getting better and better looking.

Flyboys did use the all mighty genesis camera! All hail the genesis! Bow before!
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Moriarty on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:58 am

There's some real pretty combat stuff in FLYBOYS, and Franco's finish to the big dogfight at the end is a vintage Franco Asshole Moment.

Otherwise, sort of a nothing movie.

Again... thank god for the rentals. I can send this back without even a twinge of regret tomorrow.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Moriarty on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:01 am

cameraman wrote:send any unwanted dvds this way. glad to take them off your back, lol. speaking of mitchum, which do you think is better, The Night of the Hunter or Cape Fear?

HUNTER.

But then again, NIGHT AT THE HUNTER is better than practically everything.

My personal favorite Mitchum movie... in fact, one of my favorite movies of any kind... is OUT OF THE PAST.

Awesome dialogue.

Hottest femme fatale ever.

And Mitchum at his take-no-shit best.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby wonkabar on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:10 am

Mitchum was the shit in that. I can't believe they did that crappy TV remake...meh
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Andre Dellamorte on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:38 am

I would not want to have to choose bewtween which movie to kill between NIGHT OF THE HUNTER and OUT OF THE PAST. No sir.

Having been collecting DVD's since the format's inception, I've owned most of the discs that have gone out of print at one point or another (outside of Salo, The Killer and This is Spinal Tap). When I moved to LA and was strapped for cash, it'd be like "How much can I get for Sid and Nancy?" I recently saw that The Re-Animator was OOP and took it in. Two days later, the AB version is announced. I'm sort of ambivalent about the whole OOP thing, I mean, I didn't sweat selling my Hard Boiled CC cause the HK anamorphic transfer is better. I do have the first Army of Darkness two disc (signed by Bruce Campbell, natch) and Dead Ringers (signed by Cronenberg, natch), but that's the most bragginist titles I own.
Andre Dellamorte
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Moriarty on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:41 am

Okay, I think I'm going to do disc one of WHEN THE LEVEES BROKE before I get into Eddie Murphy. I'll eat me spinach before I eat me ice cream, in other words.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Theta on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:10 am

cameraman wrote:send any unwanted dvds this way. glad to take them off your back, lol. speaking of mitchum, which do you think is better, The Night of the Hunter or Cape Fear?

Definitely "Hunter", and I really hope somebody over at Fox starts working on a special edition.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:10 am

Moriarty wrote:Okay, I think I'm going to do disc one of WHEN THE LEVEES BROKE before I get into Eddie Murphy. I'll eat me spinach before I eat me ice cream, in other words.

Actually, I've heard it's pretty compelling and addictive. A lot of people I know who hate Spike Lee really loved it.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:55 am

WHEN THE LEVEES BROKE might just be the best thing Spike's ever done. It's reeeeeal close to DTRT in my estimation.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:02 am

When the Levees Broke is a brilliant piece of work - I watched it all in one like a big documentary. I've said somewhere here before that for someone outside of the U.S. it brings so much context and history to bear upon the events, while still remaining a human, compelling and contemporary story. While it's not entirely what you might call 'even-handed', it seems very open and candid.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Lyle Gorch on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:50 am

I've watched NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, OUT OF THE PAST and CAPE FEAR countless times.

I love all three...but its easier for me to suggest CAPE FEAR is the least of the bunch than it is choosing which is greater between the other two.

So avoiding that headache, I will say that there is just something "special" about HUNTER...even after repeated viewings, it never fails to work its magic on me.

Speaking of Mitchum...
I'm sure you guys notice how Steve McQueen always tops these "coolest" actors lists that pop up from time to time. Love McQueen, and God knows the man was cool. But for me...the coolest actor ever comes down to Mitchum and Bogart.
"Me and Tector was gettin' our bell rope pulled by two... two, mind you, Hondo whores!"
Lyle Gorch
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:55 am

I'd throw Newman in there and make it a 3-way, Lyle. A few months back I ran a poll here as to who was cooler, Bogart or Newman and last time I looked the honours were split pretty even.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lyle Gorch on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:02 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:I'd throw Newman in there and make it a 3-way, Lyle. A few months back I ran a poll here as to who was cooler, Bogart or Newman and last time I looked the honours were split pretty even.

Agreed. I just watched SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME again last night. 8)
The recent Newman Boxset was a great compliment to the more obvious Newman titles that were already out on DVD.

However...I'd still rank Mitchum as cooler.
"Me and Tector was gettin' our bell rope pulled by two... two, mind you, Hondo whores!"
Lyle Gorch
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:16 pm

To my (vast) shame, I haven't seen that one yet Lyle.

I did catch The Left Handed Gun a couple of weeks back and thought it was brilliant - one of his earlier roles, but the star quality was already there.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:18 pm

The Left Handed Gun - that's a cool performance - very much like James Dean in that, esp. considering the frail, possibly my lover undertones of the character.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm

Lots of subtext there, if you want it. The Mexican girlfriend was quite a contrversial character for the time too.

Its what often make those earlier films interesting for me - because of the prevailing mores of the time, the directors, writers et al had to find otherless overt ways of presenting things.

So many of the older movies carry a hidden substance in this way - and often makes them stronger movies because of it.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:32 pm

In the case of the Left Handed-Gun, it's based on a play by Gore Vidal - you're absolutely right, though.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:40 pm

Doc Holliday wrote: A few months back I ran a poll here as to who was cooler, Bogart or Newman and last time I looked the honours were split pretty even.

Bronson's still the man though...

The man of wide open spaces at least...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Too many to choose from...

Postby arisethedemonetrigan on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:32 pm

Mitchum, Newman, Bogart, Bronson... it's like choosing between my children.

If I had children.

Hunter = brilliance, as with Out of the Past. But we all know this.

Oh, and you are 100% correct Mori, Flyboys is eye candy with the action scenes. Franco has the same problem Hayden Christiansen has. They can't play nice. It looks like they're acting.

I mean, the only time I liked him as Anakin was when he went apeshit and just killed... the younglins. haha

I'm sadistic, can't help it.

Here's a simple question if anyone is listening...

Favorite Peter Fonda movie?

Most people would say Easy Rider. Which is a fave of mine but I've always been partial to Race With the Devil, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry and Futureworld. And for his little come back with Ulee's Gold and The Limey, well, I always look out for him now.

So what is mine? Race with the Devil, overall. Just love his real life friendship with Warren Oates coming out.
Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.

Earl: What kind of fuse is that?
Burt: Cannon fuse.
Earl: What the hell do you use that for?
Burt: My cannon.

www.zombiemilk.com

Go there and... stuff.
arisethedemonetrigan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: Too many to choose from...

Postby Lyle Gorch on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

arisethedemonetrigan wrote:So what is mine? Race with the Devil, overall. Just love his real life friendship with Warren Oates coming out.

Well, me being a major Oates fan, I adore that flick.
I get a kick out of Jack Starrett's cameo.
I always found it curious that Starrett hired real life Satanists to portray some of the cult-members.

Race is probably my favorite too...although I enjoy Peter's performance in Dirty/Crazy more.
"Every bone in her crotch...That's what I'm gonna break"

I would say the man's best work is in The Limey. Which I love...detractors be damned.
Lyle Gorch
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Nordling on Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:08 pm

Lyle, check out a film called DRUM.

Oates is insane in that.

I wouldn't exactly call it a "good" film, but its, erm, interesting.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby cameraman on Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:47 pm

Christensen wasn't all too bad in Shattered Glass from a couple of years back, i think at least.
cameraman
GLIB

Postby Knthrak on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:22 pm

Escape from LA is obviously Fonda's most compelling work. Who can forget that surf scene!
Knthrak
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Moriarty on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:53 pm

cameraman wrote:Christensen wasn't all too bad in Shattered Glass from a couple of years back, i think at least.

Precisely because he's playing a liar and a douchebag. He does it very well. In MY LIFE AS A HOUSE (which is not particularly good), he plays a sullen shitbag, and when I saw it, I knew what Lucas was going to do with him as Vader, and, sure enough, he had him sulk his way to the Dark Side.

He is quite effective in SHATTERED GLASS. I agree.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Moriarty on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:24 pm

Slim day today.

Two TARTAN titles showed up.

CAVE OF THE YELLOW DOG.
BLOODY TIES

And that's it. Sent back all the Blockbuster stuff in the house today (SUPER EX and FLYBOYS, along with a BABY EINSTEIN video for Toshi) and they've already put ALTERED in the mail for tomorrow.

Watching lots and lots, though. I'll bust through four or five reviews tonight.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:29 pm

are you taking a break from scriptwriting, Mori? does downtime spent watching and reviewing DVD's help recharge your batteries, so to speak?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby greatsilence on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:32 pm

Moriarty do you have any aspirations to direct or are you just going to stick to screenwriting?
greatsilence
GLIB

Postby Moriarty on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:59 pm

Peven wrote:are you taking a break from scriptwriting, Mori? does downtime spent watching and reviewing DVD's help recharge your batteries, so to speak?

Still writing. Just finished one big project, and I'm gearing up on another right now.

I just have a certain number of hours each day set aside for the screenwriting, and I tend to be fairly efficient during those hours. The rest of the day is AICN and family. More family these days.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Moriarty on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:00 pm

greatsilence wrote:Moriarty do you have any aspirations to direct or are you just going to stick to screenwriting?

I may be directing later this year.

We'll see how things shake out.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:02 pm

Whoa...awesome Mori. Cool to see that you have some things lined up.

Hope all goes well.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Mr. Nice Gaius on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:18 pm

Moriarty wrote:
greatsilence wrote:Moriarty do you have any aspirations to direct or are you just going to stick to screenwriting?

Wow, that's fantastic Mori. Best of luck with that opportunity.

Curious - do you have a set routine for your writing? For example, do you prefer working in the mornings, midday, or the evenings? When do you feel you are most productive? What kind of writing environment (surroundings) work best for you? (Are the Labs still rumblin'?) :wink:

Also, what kind of "writing tools" or software do you use?

I ask only because I'm currently suffering from the longest writer's drought I've ever experienced. I just can't seem to get into a disciplined space...let alone a creative one.

Any tips you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Mr. Nice Gaius
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Dark Knight on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:33 pm

Moriarty, are you still doing the race with the devil remake or did that go down the tube? Cant wait to see you direct, that will be awesome!
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby sing hustle on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:45 pm

good to see a regular posting of reviews, Moriarty.

Never been much into commenting but had a good time following your old dvd blog and this forum stuff is great.
sing hustle
GLIB

Postby The Hellboy on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:36 am

Let's get to the meat of some dvd issues:

What do you guys like to see on a DVD - other than the film itself in the best possible presentation (new 16X9 pristine transfer, DTS, etc)?

I'm talking about extras, special features, added value, enhanced content.

Give me your favorite commentaries and documentaries, etc. - and don't say THE LORD OF THE RINGS EXTENDED EDITIONS either, that's too easy.

Give me the things you've watched that were good and maybe a little more outside what a mainstream viewer would say.
Aw, crap!
The Hellboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:40 am

Gotta love the Criterion editions. I just finished watching Seven Samurai and it was such a treat.

Generally, I just like to see some effort put into special features. If it is some standard "making of" doc that lasts all of 5 minutes...then its just going through the motions.

Show the film some love. Put some thought into the special features. That is all I ask.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Knthrak on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:41 am

Fanalysis on the Evil Dead DVD. Something different and highly entertaining.
Knthrak
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:43 am

Mr. Nice Gaius wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

Wow, that's fantastic Mori. Best of luck with that opportunity.

Curious - do you have a set routine for your writing? For example, do you prefer working in the mornings, midday, or the evenings? When do you feel you are most productive? What kind of writing environment (surroundings) work best for you? (Are the Labs still rumblin'?) :wink:

Also, what kind of "writing tools" or software do you use?

I ask only because I'm currently suffering from the longest writer's drought I've ever experienced. I just can't seem to get into a disciplined space...let alone a creative one.

Any tips you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lots of dope...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Theta on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:04 am

The Hellboy wrote:Let's get to the meat of some dvd issues:

What do you guys like to see on a DVD - other than the film itself in the best possible presentation (new 16X9 pristine transfer, DTS, etc)?

Maybe a commentary, but honestly, a lack of extras is not a deal-breaker unless the disc is $15 or more. As long as the movie itself is there, that's what I paid for.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby arisethedemonetrigan on Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:22 am

Let's get to the meat of some dvd issues:

Give me your favorite commentaries and documentaries, etc. - and don't say THE LORD OF THE RINGS EXTENDED EDITIONS either, that's too easy.

Give me the things you've watched that were good and maybe a little more outside what a mainstream viewer would say.

Good question. I mean, there's been plenty of films that I didn't care about extras. I just wanted the damn films.

But a good commentary can go a long way. I still listen to the Evil Dead II commentary because it's that good. Same with the Cannibal: The Musical one. Listening to Trey Parker, Matt Stone and the gang get drunk as they do commentary is great to listen to... as you get drunk with your friends as well.

Same with a good documentary. I'm partial to horror movies and their documentaries. Re-Animator had decent ones (even though the new Anchor Bay edition will have a 70 minute doc!).

I'm also for creative or cool packaging too. Won't make me buy it, per se, but I will think about that edition. Oldboy's new edition made me pick it up (had the Korean release which was already good) but the addition of the comic book, film cell and 3 discs made me go crazy.

One of my prized possessions is my Phantasm set... which is in the Tall Man's ball itself, spikes and all. It's a region 2 release, and being from NY, it makes me giddy looking at it.

Ok, enough geekage for tonight.
Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.

Earl: What kind of fuse is that?
Burt: Cannon fuse.
Earl: What the hell do you use that for?
Burt: My cannon.

www.zombiemilk.com

Go there and... stuff.
arisethedemonetrigan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Moriarty on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:56 am

Part one of an accidental John Huston double-feature for me.

This film is most infamous as a trivia footnote for APOCALYPSE NOW. Every time you see a photo of young Col. Kurtz in that film, the photos are stills from REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE. This is a weird, lurid Southern melodrama that never quite catches fire the way it wants to.

Marlon Brando plays a commanding officer on a Southern military base. He's married to Elizabeth Taylor at her big boozy best. Brando's a closeted queer, and Taylor resents him mightiliy for it, torturing him at every opportunity and gleefully parading her ample assets in front of him. They're good together, but they barely have any screen time.

She's got Brian Keith on the side, another officer on the base, and he's got issues with his own wife, who seems to be locked into a strange co-dependent relationship with her Asian houseboy. But when Robert Forster (looking reeeeeeeeeeeally young) shows up, she finds that she and Brando both want to fuck the same person, and that leads to an inevitably tragic conclusion that is telegraphed from the very first moment in the film.

It's all sort of overheated, and John Huston tried a strange visual scheme for the film that ultimately doesn't work. But it's an interesting film and at times, it's even engrossing. It's an atypical Brando performance, all restrained passions and unspoken undercurrents, and the chance to watch Taylor and Brando butt heads makes this worth at least one viewing.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:00 am

The Hellboy wrote:Let's get to the meat of some dvd issues:

Dammit - no LOTR comparison eh? Well, they are pretty much the pinnacle of what I look for from extras. When DVD's first came out I used to make a beeline for deleted scenes and outtakes, but I quickly grew tired of those - the outtakes are normally fairly rubbish and deleted scenes most often justified their reason for deletion.

Every now and again a DVD comes along with a batch of deleted scenes that make for interesting viewing - the one that flies to mind is the first release of Scott's GLADIATOR - they were mostly really good and personally I'd have loved to have seen their inclusion in the theatrical release. It was sad to hear Scott go through each one, bemoaning the fact that he would have liked to have included them, but knew they would have made the film too long for the average audience.

So deleted scenes should be in there, but only if there is a genuine case for them - and always with the option to hear a commentary as to what the scene was trying to achieve and why ultimately it was cut.

The two main components I want on the extras are 1) a couple of comprehensive commentaries - one with the cast and then one with Director/Writer/Producer/Editor.. and 2) A substantial making of documentary.

With the commentary, I don't want some BS, self-congratulatory affair like you get on, say, FANTASTIC FOUR. That kind of commentary prattles on for two hours yet tells you absolutely nothing about the film other than everyone who worked on it were 'great'. No - I want a commentary that lets you know what was involved in bringing the film to the screen. Whether it be an honest appraisal of the difficulties faced as with the flawed DAREDEVIL (theatrical), an insight into making a movie and the relationship between, say, editor and director as in the McTiernan commentary on DIE HARD - or even the commentary on LORD OF WAR, which leaves you amazed as to how the film even got made. All fascinating stuff.

As for the Making of docs, then if not LOTR I'd look towards stuff like DEAD MANS CHEST and the SPIDERMAN movies as other examples of a substantive breakdown of what it took to get the project off the ground and into the theatres.

Its always good to see other relevant stuff on a DVD - with the Marvel films for example, its nice how they normally have a second dopcumentary focussing purely on the source material and past artists/writers. But often times there really isn't anything else to put on the DVD - and so we get a whole bunch of padding instead.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:11 am

I rather liked the Wolf Creek making of, Doc, you might too. Ditto the Ghostbusters DVD. Then I have to tip my hat to stupid commentaries like Anchorman.

BTW got the Directors Cut of Daredevil here, watched about half of it last night. Stuff like the Elektra introduction still gets jammed in the craw but it's far better made than I remember it being.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:45 am

Thanks for the tip Atomic, I'll keep that one in mind 8)
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cameraman on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:58 am

In terms of great making of documentaries, how about the THREE HOURS of docs on the Superman Returns disc?
cameraman
GLIB

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:00 am

Heheh, depends on what you think of Superman Returns. ;)

(by the way, check the general forums for AV SIZE rules - Mori if you could state that in the initial post that'd be fabulous)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Moriarty on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:25 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Heheh, depends on what you think of Superman Returns. ;)

(by the way, check the general forums for AV SIZE rules - Mori if you could state that in the initial post that'd be fabulous)

Can you tell me what they are? I don't change mine, so I don't remember.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:30 am

Moriarty wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Heh eh, depends on what you think of Superman Returns. ;)

Can you tell me what they are? I don't change mine, so I don't remember.

160(width)/200(length).

made all the easier by photobucket, where a couple of clicks will resize any pic to fit into those parameters...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Moriarty on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:39 am

Okay... updated the first post in the thread to include a gentle reminder.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:54 am

Sorry wasn't quick on replying there, but that'll make this thread easier to read... I hope! :D
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray