Moriarty's DVD Blog 2007 (UPDATED WITH NEW GAME)

Betamax and beyond

Postby Al Shut on Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:07 pm

I know your pain. And I want the ssecond box set RIGHT NOW DAMMIT!!! The first seadon has quite a cliffhanger
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Theta on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:45 pm

Moriarty wrote:Oh, yeah.

TWIN PEAKS was all about the hotties.

How did I forget that this show was basically hottie, hottie, hottie, surreal joke, scary shit, hottie, hottie, hottie?

Ahhhh, yes, Audrey Horne wearing nothing but a bedsheet. God bless Artisan's crystal clear first season transfer.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Moriarty on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:44 am

All I can do is apologize again, guys. This new script has consumed most of my waking hours lately, and as usual, things just fall away no matter how much I mean to write about them.

Let's see... what has come in today and yesterday?

That HBO series ADDICTION came in.
MAJOR LEAGUE: WILD THING EDITION
WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY UK (Series One And Two)
PAYBACK: DIRECTOR'S CUT
CHILDREN OF MEN
THE WAR ON THE WAR ON DRUGS
REFINEMENTS OF LOVE
JUMP IN!
THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO Season One
THE UNTOUCHABLES Season One
MIND OF MENCIA: Season Two

And, in what has to be the single fastest turn-around in recent memory, I've already got a 2007 theatrical release here on disc, FREEDOM WRITERS. That's a crazy release window.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Andre Dellamorte on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:13 am

Richard LaGravanese... what happened?
Busting makes me feel good.
Andre Dellamorte
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Moriarty on Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:49 am

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/446

That was about nine years ago, and what I reviewed at that test screening was, essentially, the same thing that Paramount just sent to me yesterday.

Watching it again for the first time since that test screening -- I never bothered with the reshot version after hearing about the behind-the-scenes and completely unnecessary shenanigans involved with it -- I'm reminded of why I liked it so much the first time. I'm bummed by the score, which really doesn't work, but so be it. The film itself works really well, and although it'll never live up to POINT BLANK, it's a really solid tough guy flick.

Lucy Liu's never been hotter than she is in this film, and I love how blatantly funny most of the film is. This is a really nice move on Paramount's part, even if it took nine years for the perfectly-acceptable cut I saw to finally make its way in front of an audience.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:41 am

I thought the director's cut had Anne Bancroft as the head of "the outfit" not James Coburn.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:27 am

i'd be looking for some payback against the sugar tits who butchered my hair too...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Moriarty on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:48 am

TonyWilson wrote:I thought the director's cut had Anne Bancroft as the head of "the outfit" not James Coburn.

Actually, the original cut I saw had Angie Dickinson play the head of "the outfit," but only on the phone.

In the new DVD, Sally Kellerman has replaced her.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Theta on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:00 am

Moriarty wrote:All I can do is apologize again, guys.

Yeah, Jesus, don't you know you're supposed to entertain us? For FREE? Every day?! Priorities, man! Priorities!

Seriously, do you really get emails bagging on you for not updating a thread on an internet bulletin board? I still find it hard to believe people are that demanding.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Moriarty on Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:06 am

Ahhh... here's what having a rental account is for.

Today, from Blockbuster, I was fortunate (ha!) enough to be sent a copy of ERAGON.

So should I skip that GRINDHOUSE screening to stay home and enjoy ERAGON? You fuckin' bet!
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Andre Dellamorte on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:32 am

Here's what I love about Eragon. It is, with little variation, Star Wars set in the LOTR world. End of line. End of story. That's it. Sweetness.
Andre Dellamorte
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Theta on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:15 am

Andre Dellamorte wrote:Here's what I love about Eragon. It is, with little variation, Star Wars set in the LOTR world. End of line. End of story. That's it. Sweetness.

Actually, it makes more sense than "Star Wars." Riding Rachel Wiesz gives you ultimate power? Logical to me.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:42 am

Jesus, I remember reading that Payback review back in the day. I couldn't wait to see it. I actually really enjoy the butchered theatrical cut, quite a lot, in fact. I am dying to see this new version, however.

Eragon... no matter how many times people point it out, it never gets old to me. It's fucking DRAGON with the first letter one step up the line. Wow! Eh, whatever. Gives me hope that my stuff will see print, one day :P
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Moriarty on Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:47 am

Okay, I give up.

ERAGON beat me.

I can't fucking finish it. And after two days, I'm going to quit trying.

I want to punch the kid that wrote this over and over until something breaks loose inside his head and he promises to never write anything again.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby The Hellboy on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:05 am

Too late! He wrote another one, right? And is working on a third?
Luckily, it looks like there won't be a sequel to the film...

I got the 2-disc from a friend at the studio. I can't decide if:

A. They hate me.

B. They are being ironic.

C. They just wanted it off their desk.
Aw, crap!
The Hellboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Theta on Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:00 pm

The Hellboy wrote:
I got the 2-disc from a friend at the studio. I can't decide if:

A. They hate me.

B. They are being ironic.

C. They just wanted it off their desk.

I'm guessing the latter two.

Hey, Mori, are we ever going to see that review of the Superman boxed set? You and I seem to disagree (at least as far as the first film goes) but I'd like to get your full take on it.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Moriarty on Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:15 pm

Yay!

The Bava Box just showed up from Anchor Bay, so I'm running around my house like Steve Martin with the new phone book in THE JERK.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Moriarty on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:19 pm

Okay, I'm finally watching THE BUTCHER BOY today... first time since it came out in theaters... and a few things occur to me.

First, I think this is one of Neil Jordan's very best films, and I really like Neil Jordan in general.

And second, is it wrong of me to wish that I could have made a few conjugal set visits to Sinead O'Connor while she was in her Virgin Mary costume?

It is wrong... isn't it?

I am going to hell... aren't I?
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

The Butcher Boy

Postby yaz67 on Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:46 am

Eamonn Owens dominates the screen like no other teen actor has in The Butcher Boy.

I agree. I like Mona Lisa, but The Butcher Boy is Jordan's finest.
yaz67
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Moriarty on Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:31 am

God... I forgot the ending of BUTCHER BOY.

I'm sitting here, cheeks wet, heartbroken. What a devastating film. What a great, great performance.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:03 am

Moriarty wrote:I'm sitting here, cheeks wet...

GROSS!!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Moriarty on Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:55 pm

Okay. I've seriously let this week get on top of me.

It's been pretty much nonstop work, and the only film I managed to get out of the house to see was a second press screening of GRINDHOUSE.

Boy, howdy, I love that movie.

But I'v been watching DVDs as well, and getting more in. Right now, I'm about to fire up THE MASK OF SATAN from the Bava box. As I'm here and working this weekend, though, let's backtrack a bit and talk about some of the other stuff that's shown up and been run through the player.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Moriarty on Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:13 pm

This was a rental from Blockbuster Online for me. I'm a Linklater fan, but I also admit that he can be wildly uneven. A SCANNER DARKLY made my list last year as one of my ten favorite films, but that was actually shot before BAD NEWS BEARS or this one, and in my opinion, Rick's smack dab in the middle of a cold streak. BAD NEWS BEARS was just awful, a tame and uninspired remake that added nothing to the original, and this is a toothless bit of agitprop that doesn't seem to have much to say.

It's not awful. I really like the Bruce Willis scene, but he's only in it for that one scene. "We've all gotta eat a little shit." Indeed.

Greg Kinnear continues to impress me. This guy has gotten better and better, the more time he's spent in front of a camera, and I pretty much always enjoy the work he does even when I'm not crazy about the film.

But I have to laugh at the way Rick builds his head of steam here, finally reaching the "big finish" as we see the killing floor of a slaughterhouse. Linklater shows us every detail, expecting us to be outraged, but that seems almost impossibly naive to me. Does he really think that people aren't aware animals are killed to be eaten? And that when you kill something, it's bloody? If all he wants to generate is shock with those scenes, then mission accomplished. But if he is reaching for a great significance, or if he's trying to incite some moral outrage simply because "meat is murder," then he falls incredibly short. And that last moment with Luis Guzman is just laugh-out-loud obvious.

This is a pretty significan misstep for an interesting, but obviously uneven, filmmaker.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Theta on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:13 am

Mori, believe me, many people don't have a fucking clue. They've literally never stopped to consider just how a two-ton animal becomes a tasty steak. The misconceptions and naivete people have about how things die and are eaten on this planet, whether it's human manufacturing processes or just death in the wild, is pretty astounding. Most people learned about how animals treat each other through Disney movies; I have met more than a few strident PETA members who seriously think it's "Bambi" in the woods.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Andre Dellamorte on Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:28 am

Though I would not consider studly FOOD NATION a great film, I liked the theme of how our society is a meat grinder, where everyone involved from the top to the bottom is simply a cog to turn out product. I felt he got that across fairly well, but the meat stripping scene did nothing for me, I have no problems with how food is made.

THE BLOOD SPATTERED BRIDE is probably my favorite sapphic vamp film now, ASYLUM OF BLOOD had some great Kinski, and some great nonsense visuals, along with a nutty conclusion. While MARY, MARY, BLOODY MARY was a nice variant on classic vampirism, though very modest. And, as can be said for them all, some great nudity.
Last edited by Andre Dellamorte on Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Dellamorte
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Moriarty on Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:30 am

Lucky you, Andre.

I would rather have sat through three exploitation films tonight than dealt with the Chinese Water Torture of having to put up with the insane antics of my chickenhead landlord.

He didn't leave here until 12:15.

What a fucking miserable afternoon and evening.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Andre Dellamorte on Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:05 am

But... But... GRINDHOUSE. It... It... It salves all wounds.
Andre Dellamorte
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Theta on Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:46 am

Andre Dellamorte wrote:But... But... GRINDHOUSE. It... It... It salves all wounds.

So, wait, the rumors about how watching "Grindhouse" cures blindness, spine injury and cancer (but not genital warts) is TRUE?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:52 pm

Theta wrote:
Andre Dellamorte wrote:But... But... GRINDHOUSE. It... It... It salves all wounds.

So, wait, the rumors about how watching "Grindhouse" cures blindness...

there's a joke about masturbation, blindness and GRINDHOUSE to be made here, but I'm lousy at punchlines...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Moriarty on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Got a few things in the mail this morning, courtesy of Toshi, who loves to open envelopes.

DEJA VU
THE QUEEN
Criterion's OVERLORD
FULL FRAME DOCUMENTARY SHORTS
AL FRANKEN: GOD SPOKE
and TOM GOES TO THE MAYOR: THE COMPLETE SERIES
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Andre Dellamorte on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:46 pm

I was gonna say, didja get Larry Sanders yet? I got mine today. Drool.
Andre Dellamorte
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Moriarty on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:00 pm

Andre Dellamorte wrote:I was gonna say, didja get Larry Sanders yet? I got mine today. Drool.

No. And now I have an e-mail to send.

"Ahem. Hey, dudes... what the fuck?"
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Andre Dellamorte on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:30 pm

Yeah, Sony did a nice job with it. Hope I can find to actually sit down and watch it in the near future, though I did watch the Tom Sizemore film BOTTOM FEEDER today. So I got that going for me, which is at least an easy write up.
Andre Dellamorte
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby fwouerbe on Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:53 pm

Hey DM,

I didn't want to ask this in your Grindhouse review because I'm being sincere and not incendiary. But in a few years, if you get a chance to direct Toshi in a film, would you write a scene where he blows his own face off, and then use his corpse as a comedic device?

Or is one of the missing Planet Terror scenes a better payoff for Rebel Rodriguez?

Because damn, that was probably the most disturbing thing about the whole three hours to me.
fwouerbe

Postby Moriarty on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:00 pm

I don't really want Toshi to be in the business at all, to be honest. I've seen what it does to kids.

And, yeah, that's the one moment in Robert's film that is genuinely disturbing, a jet-black impulse that isn't really a tonal match to everything else.

But nothing beats Dario Argento and the various ways he tormented his daughter Asia onscreen over the years. There's a man who would probably chase any therapist who tried to help him right out of the business.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Seppuku on Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:37 pm

Moriarty wrote:But nothing beats Dario Argento and the various ways he tormented his daughter Asia onscreen over the years. There's a man who would probably chase any therapist who tried to help him right out of the business.

But she ended up alright in the end, right?

RIGHT?!?!

On second thoughts, I think you made the right call, Mori.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby WinslowLeach on Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:01 pm

WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Dead Junkie on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:03 pm

I don't know what's more disturbing all the sick shit he did to her or the fact that she doesn't seem to mind.

For the record though the little kid shooting himself got the biggest laugh in the theater I was in.

We're sick sick people here at Lake Wobegon.
Evil Dead Junkie
GLIB

Postby Moriarty on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:40 pm

Evil Dead Junkie wrote:I don't know what's more disturbing all the sick shit he did to her or the fact that she doesn't seem to mind.

For the record though the little kid shooting himself got the biggest laugh in the theater I was in.

We're sick sick people here at Lake Wobegon.

I always knew Garrison Keillior was a fucking monster, BUT NO ONE LISTENED!!
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:46 pm

seppukudkurosawa wrote:
Moriarty wrote:But nothing beats Dario Argento and the various ways he tormented his daughter Asia onscreen over the years. There's a man who would probably chase any therapist who tried to help him right out of the business.

But she ended up alright in the end, right?

RIGHT?!?!

On second thoughts, I think you made the right call, Mori.

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! She is FIIIINE.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby The Hellboy on Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:17 pm

You know, he's kind of being true to conceit there though in killing the kid, isn't he? It really felt like it was influenced by all the Italian stuff - especially with Marley Shelton's big eyes and running mascara.

The more I reflect on our viewing Thursdy night, PLANET TERROR really is a "Golan-Globus meets Umberto Lenzi" kinda picture.

Interested in hearing your take on the DEJA VU disc - we tried something a bit different with the extras on this one. A little more "in the moment" I guess you could say.
Aw, crap!
The Hellboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby JimFromTheFuture on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:27 pm

Moriarty wrote:Oh, yeah.

TWIN PEAKS was all about the hotties.

How did I forget that this show was basically hottie, hottie, hottie, surreal joke, scary shit, hottie, hottie, hottie?

I got my Season 2 last week and I've got my girlfriend watching the whole thing for the first time.

I'd never noticed before how distinctly different the second season is. Aside from the strange directions the characters and story go, it's much more surreal overall in a way that was only hinted at in the first season.

Technically, the transfer is gorgeous. The Log Lady intros aren't looking so great these days, but that's doesn't bother me. They've also left off the "Previously on Twin Peaks" segments, I guess to squish those episodes on there. No commentaries, I haven't watched the interviews yet.
JimFromTheFuture
GLIB

This is sad that this section died a little death...

Postby arisethedemonetrigan on Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:23 pm

Especially since I loved coming here to bullshit about dvds in general.

I mean, who else am I going to talk to about buying the following dvds in a big shopping spree of sorts.

Smokin' Aces with pack of playing cards special at Best Buy
Viva Pedro collection
Defenders of the Earth Volumes 1 and 2
Fire and Ice Special 2 Disc edition
Zach Galafanakis Live at the Purple Onion
How to Kill a Judge
Mannaja

And the soundtrack to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Who???

Miss you all.
arisethedemonetrigan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby DDMAN26 on Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:59 pm

Moriarity did receive any of the Planet Earth dvd's?
DDMAN26
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Moriarty on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:50 pm

DDMAN26 wrote:Moriarity did receive any of the Planet Earth dvd's?

I did, actually, and I'm watching them inbetween films this week. Gorgeous stuff. Am I a bad person for thinking that David Attenborough always sounds like John Cleese doing a mock-stuffy British accent?
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Moriarty on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:52 pm

Arise...

A hiccup. A mere hiccup is all.

I'm finishing a draft of a script, so I've had a lot less writing time in general.

But I've got a shit-ton of DVD content coming for the site and for this section, starting again this week. Promise.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

We believe you...

Postby arisethedemonetrigan on Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:40 am

I know how the whole writing thing goes about. I'm pissed that I haven't been writing my scripts as of late. Driving me nuts.

But I did buy the Jodorowsky box set. Hence why I love working at Best Buy sometimes... I get to buy some select things early.
Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.

Earl: What kind of fuse is that?
Burt: Cannon fuse.
Earl: What the hell do you use that for?
Burt: My cannon.

www.zombiemilk.com

Go there and... stuff.
arisethedemonetrigan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Moriarty on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:58 pm

Okay. I had an idea. This isn't for a contest, since there's no prize except participation. It's more like... a game.

I'm going to post a list of titles. And a schedule.

But the gag is that you guys are going to match the titles to the schedule. You guys are going to decide what I watch and review. And those reviews will ONLY appear here... in the Zone.

I'm going to put the list together later today. The schedule will be for next week. And you guys are going to be the ones who determine how it all goes. It's your film festival, and I'm the one who has to cover it.

If it works out, we'll do it once a month or so. Could be fun.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby dmann on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:05 pm

if you put them up early enough, maybe we can watch them together... in our own seperate houses i mean, not outside your window, no really, im in iowa still, seriously....
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" - Groucho Marx
dmann
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby John-Locke on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:07 pm

Sounds like fun.

How are we going to decide the order, we never agree on anything.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray