Star Trek - TMP Real Time Commentary

Betamax and beyond

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:22 pm

"I wept for V'ger like I would weep for a brother"

Lots of nice parallels here for Spock, the child symbolism that V'ger provides ultimately catching up with Spock in Search for Spock - little does he know he'll be going through childhood again.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:23 pm

I like the fact V'ger provides oxygen in it's inner most sanctum - convenient.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:24 pm

The Vicar wrote:Spock needs to honk on a monster joint

you know, if there were any of the star trek films, where i would believe that spock was burning doobies in his cabin, it would be this one.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:25 pm

Ah, and here comes the payoff. I was so young when i first watched this i did not understand what V'ger was.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:26 pm

i dont know what the fuck it is, but there is some sort of instrument in the score, probably a keyboard of some type. but it does this futuristic sounding stab that i love. it just did it when they got inside v'ger, and it happened a bunch in the klingon opening. i dont know what fucking instrument it is, but i love it.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:26 pm

So as Kirk rubs the dirt away, that's a tearjerking moment right?

One of the all time classic sci-fi ideas for a movie.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:29 pm

there it was again. kirk goes "v'ger" DERRRN. then he goes "voyager' DERRRRRN!!

too cool.

reminds me of the way those seismic charges sound in Attack of the Clones.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:29 pm

Brocktune wrote:i dont know what the fuck it is, but there is some sort of instrument in the score, probably a keyboard of some type. but it does this futuristic sounding stab that i love. it just did it when they got inside v'ger, and it happened a bunch in the klingon opening. i dont know what fucking instrument it is, but i love it.

Look back to my post on the second page. It's called a Blaster Beam. Bit like a massive bass guitar.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:30 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Brocktune wrote:i dont know what the fuck it is, but there is some sort of instrument in the score, probably a keyboard of some type. but it does this futuristic sounding stab that i love. it just did it when they got inside v'ger, and it happened a bunch in the klingon opening. i dont know what fucking instrument it is, but i love it.

Look back to my post on the second page. It's called a Blaster Beam. Bit like a massive bass guitar.

And with that, brock leaves the commentary for e-bay.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:34 pm

im really starting to think that this one is the best one. fuck khan.

i mean, khan is an awesome flick. but this one is just so much more ambitious and cerebral. as well as this one being the "coolest" one.

fuck the naysayers! [/311]
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:36 pm

DERRRRRN DERRRRRRN!

maybe its an effected guitar.

probably a synth tho...
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:37 pm

"Out there, thataway".

great movie.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:37 pm

Each film is just a different interpretation.

No-one ever talks about what happened at the end. Did Vger destroy itself? Is Decker dead?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:40 pm

Brocktune wrote:im really starting to think that this one is the best one. fuck khan.

i mean, khan is an awesome flick. but this one is just so much more ambitious and cerebral. as well as this one being the "coolest" one.

fuck the naysayers! [/311]

TMP is the best of them by far. A Slow burning, visionary tour de force.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:42 pm

this theme is bitchin too. too bad TNG ripped it the fuck off. but then again, thats all TNG was for the first two years. gene roddenberry - the great turd of the galaxy.

fuckin hack.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:46 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Each film is just a different interpretation.

No-one ever talks about what happened at the end. Did Vger destroy itself? Is Decker dead?

Not to me. The way I have always figured it, is that V'ger was away for a known 300 years - in that time it could have gone through any amount of dimensional travel ( unbeknown to the crew ) meaning it went through, possibly, 1000's of years of change and evolution. Joining with Decker and Illia enabled it to move to a different plain of exploration, boldy going somewhere that no-one else is going to go.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:52 pm

Fried Gold wrote:"The film's soundtrack provided a popular debut for the Blaster Beam, an electronic instrument about 10 feet long, stringed, and played with an artillery shell. Jerry Goldsmith used it to create the eerie signature V'ger sound."

Fried Gold wrote:Look back to my post on the second page. It's called a Blaster Beam. Bit like a massive bass guitar.

dude, thank you. thats what i get for not reading this bitch until the end.

thedoglippedone wrote:And with that, brock leaves the commentary for e-bay.

hahahahahaha!
you can see through me like a window!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:57 pm

Adam Balm wrote:WTF?

Thanks for the warning, assholes.

I would've liked to have joined in.

dude, i feel shitty for excluding you.

not that it was intentional by any means but still.

maybe we can schedule another one of these for very soon. i sure do get a kick out of them, and the more folks that are interested, the better these will turn out to be, no?

im so down.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:01 pm

We should do Khan and Search for Spock, I love all that genesis planet shit.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:01 pm

I have the day off work tomorrow if anyone wants to do this with another film then. I'd have loved to have got in on this one but I've been too busy this evening. TMP is such a great movie.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Brocktune on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:06 pm

im going to be here all fucking day tomorrow, if we all want to do wrath of khan or some shit.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:09 pm

I'm working, we should pick a film and set a date for a couple of weeks time, let others get plenty of warning. We need to get more than 3 for the next watch. these threads are really cool to read back, seeing if we all pick up on the same things, who watches movies for what etc. More people means more insight.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Adam Balm on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:10 pm

Brocktune wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:WTF?

Thanks for the warning, assholes.

I would've liked to have joined in.

dude, i feel shitty for excluding you.

not that it was intentional by any means but still.

maybe we can schedule another one of these for very soon. i sure do get a kick out of them, and the more folks that are interested, the better these will turn out to be, no?

im so down.

no wai.

u both r ded 2 me nows.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:11 pm

I'm off to bed. Thanks guys, that was as enjoyable as last time!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:36 am

The Dino, he's a catching uppa onna this after a the fact, eh? But I just a wanna to take a the moment anna go back a to a the Brock's assertion that a the opening scene with a the Klingons was a put inna'to a the home-video version of a the film, eh? Anna the Kirk (ours, not a the ST's), he correctly asserts that it was inna the theatrical version as a well...

I would a just a like a to comment anna say that for alla you young putzes who grew uppa onna the TNG anna such, you canna even imagine a the impact of a the opening scene inna the theaters a to alla the Star Trek fans who hadda been waiting for a this a film for a so long, eh?

You gotta the Goldsmith's fanfare that was a NOT a the Star Trek theme, eh? Sure, it's a the TNG theme now so it a may not a seem a like a the big deal, but holy crappa, back a then? No theme from a the Courage?!? It was a big a shock...

... anna then we see a the Klingon Birds of a the Prey, no? Anna that glorious Klingon theme that never sounded as a good as it does inna the opening scene of a the ST:TMP, eh? Anna it was a the first glimpse of a the "new" Star Trek effects, eh?

... anna then we get a to a the interior of a the ship anna we see a the savage-ish Klingons with a the head ridges anna such, anna everybody was alla like "holy crappa!"

... anna THEN a they start talking inna the goddamn Klingon for a the FIRST TIME EVER anna EVERYBODY was alla like "HOLY CRAPPA!!"

This was a not a your father's Star Trek, no? :wink:

I would also a like a to go anna say that this was a the first, anna perhaps a the only, Star Trek where a you gotta the sense of a the vastness of a space anna the sense of a the scale of a the things... especially when a the Spock, he's out inna his a little suit flying around inna the V'ger, no? Iffa you ever have a the chance a to see it onna the big screen, you gotta to do it, eh?

The other thing a to remember is a that a the ST:TMP, she was a so different from a what anybody expected that, while a she did make a the lot of a money (simply from alla the anticipation anna curiousity), that a she was a largely considered a disappointment, eh? From even a the fans... This is a the reminder of a the impact that a the Star Wars hadda had onna the modern audiences... which is a why you gotta the totally different tone inna the Wrath of a the Khan, eh? Which was a the more traditional kind of a the modern sci-fi film inna the sense that a the audiences, they had alla'ready been "conditioned", iffa you will, by a the Star Wars anna the like, no?

But all inna all, it's a prolly the most "pure" vision of a the Star Trek that a the Roddenberry, he's ever achieved, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Brocktune on Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:41 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Dino, he's a catching uppa onna this after a the fact, eh? But I just a wanna to take a the moment anna go back a to a the Brock's assertion that a the opening scene with a the Klingons was a put inna'to a the home-video version of a the film, eh? Anna the Kirk (ours, not a the ST's), he correctly asserts that it was inna the theatrical version as a well...

heh, shows what i know.

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:I would a just a like a to comment anna say that for alla you young putzes who grew uppa onna the TNG anna such, you canna even imagine a the impact of a the opening scene inna the theaters a to alla the Star Trek fans who hadda been waiting for a this a film for a so long, eh?

this is a good part of why i feel like TMP is the best one. i always try to put myself in that frame of mind. that i loved the show when it was on, and now its ten years later, and i am seeing all of this shit again for the first time. back when ST was still cool, before they ran the franchise into the ground, and before it became synonymous with acne, cellulite, and poor vision. it really is the coolest one, in addition to several other well deserved positive adjectives.

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:You gotta the Goldsmith's fanfare that was a NOT a the Star Trek theme, eh? Sure, it's a the TNG theme now so it a may not a seem a like a the big deal, but holy crappa, back a then? No theme from a the Courage?!? It was a big a shock...

... anna then we see a the Klingon Birds of a the Prey, no? Anna that glorious Klingon theme that never sounded as a good as it does inna the opening scene of a the ST:TMP, eh? Anna it was a the first glimpse of a the "new" Star Trek effects, eh?

... anna then we get a to a the interior of a the ship anna we see a the savage-ish Klingons with a the head ridges anna such, anna everybody was alla like "holy crappa!"

... anna THEN a they start talking inna the goddamn Klingon for a the FIRST TIME EVER anna EVERYBODY was alla like "HOLY CRAPPA!!"

This was a not a your father's Star Trek, no? :wink:

I would also a like a to go anna say that this was a the first, anna perhaps a the only, Star Trek where a you gotta the sense of a the vastness of a space anna the sense of a the scale of a the things... especially when a the Spock, he's out inna his a little suit flying around inna the V'ger, no? Iffa you ever have a the chance a to see it onna the big screen, you gotta to do it, eh?

The other thing a to remember is a that a the ST:TMP, she was a so different from a what anybody expected that, while a she did make a the lot of a money (simply from alla the anticipation anna curiousity), that a she was a largely considered a disappointment, eh? From even a the fans... This is a the reminder of a the impact that a the Star Wars hadda had onna the modern audiences... which is a why you gotta the totally different tone inna the Wrath of a the Khan, eh? Which was a the more traditional kind of a the modern sci-fi film inna the sense that a the audiences, they had alla'ready been "conditioned", iffa you will, by a the Star Wars anna the like, no?

But all inna all, it's a prolly the most "pure" vision of a the Star Trek that a the Roddenberry, he's ever achieved, eh?

dino, for the love of god, PLEASE join in on the Wrath of Khan commentary thread we do.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:43 pm

I, too, would've liked to participate in the TMP commentary. Please give an advance warning if you guys plan to do WOK.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Seppuku on Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:51 pm

Heh, I was online while they were doing this, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out where they were in the film (I've only seen TMP once, so it's not like I've got it eidetically imprinted into my brain). Maybe post a time count every now and then, so us latecomers can catch up.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray